+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: Frequencies of colours and shapes.

1. Link to Post #1
    Ireland Avalon Member Poly Hedra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 times in 349 posts

Default Frequencies of colours and shapes.

I'm very interested in how colour and shapes affect us. I would like to have a thread for this purpose where people can share their knowledge and opinions.

All about colour frequencies
    "Everything is made up of electromagnetic energy vibrating at different frequencies that correspond to sound, light and color. We are drawn to the colors needed to create balance in our lives, the goal in all healing. Colors attract ... certain clothing and accessories, colors in our homes, and even the foods we eat.

Colors are frequency wavelengths that we conect with based on grid (matrix) attraction. Primary colors following a spectrum called ROYGBIV or the rainbow spectrum."
    http://www.crystalinks.com/colors.html

What I cant seem to get much information on is the frequencies of shapes. The most basic first. I keep searching for info on shapes and their frequencies but I get as far as cymatics and reach a dead end.
    Any thoughts?

2. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Poly Hedra For This Post:

00101 (26th March 2012), AwakeInADream (12th October 2012), BlueGem (16th March 2012), Calz (15th March 2012), Camilo (22nd October 2012), Dorjezigzag (19th March 2012), frances (16th March 2012), Fred Steeves (16th July 2012), gaiagirl (29th March 2012), Holly Lindin (20th March 2012), ivaray (19th March 2012), Kano (19th March 2012), latshaw (17th November 2012), ljwheat (21st March 2012), mab777 (22nd October 2012), modwiz (15th March 2012), NeverMind (16th March 2012), nomadguy (16th March 2012), Playdo of Ataraxas (16th March 2012), Referee (16th March 2012), ROMANWKT (15th March 2012), seko (15th March 2012), Sidney (16th March 2012), Snowbird (20th March 2012), Taurean (13th October 2012), Tibouchine (16th March 2012), WhiteFeather (15th March 2012), WHOMADEGOD (20th March 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

Default Re: Frequencies of colours and shapes.

Quote Posted by conec (here)
    I'm very interested in how colour and shapes affect us. I would like to have a thread for this purpose where people can share their knowledge and opinions.

"Everything is made up of electromagnetic energy vibrating at different frequencies that correspond to sound, light and color. We are drawn to the colors needed to create balance in our lives, the goal in all healing. Colors attract ... certain clothing and accessories, colors in our homes, and even the foods we eat.

Colors are frequency wavelengths that we conect with based on grid (matrix) attraction. Primary colors following a spectrum called ROYGBIV or the rainbow spectrum."

What I cant seem to get much information on is the frequencies of shapes. The most basic first. I keep searching for info on shapes and their frequencies but I get as far as cymatics and reach a dead end.
    Any thoughts?
    First off, great link there. Probably one of the best I have seen around color and its energetics. Also this is a good concept for a thread, IMO.

Shapes produced by sound and revealed in cymatics is definitely a subject I wish to look into. I would start at looking at the shapes produced by the notes of the basic musical scale, but using A=432 Hz as the reference point. There are different views as to the notes and which chakras they correspond to. Tibetans have a different chakra/note assignment than the C=base D=sacral and so on. Depending on which system you use you then get a color and shape correlation. In the system here, C would be Red and D Orange. I am just referencing here. This is not fixed info, but the methodology is fairly sound for investigation, IMO.

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Thanks Modwiz.
    I found a lot of very interesting info. Here are a few images and a link that would be good to have here on this thread.
    This is a very interesting site. About the music of the spheres, I have to get stuck in. Here is a short extract from the site:
    "Several years ago, astronomer Gerald S. Hawkins, former Chairman of the astronomy department at Boston University, noticed that some of the most visually striking of the crop-circle patterns embodied geometric theorems that express specific numerical relationships among the areas of various circles, triangles, and other shapes making up the patterns (Science News: 2/1/92, p. 76). In one case, for example, an equilateral triangle fitted snugly between an outer and an inner circle. It turns out that the area of the outer circle is precisely four times that of the inner circle.

Three other patterns also displayed exact numerical relationships, all of them involving a diatonic ratio, the simple whole-number ratios that determine a scale of musical notes. "These designs demonstrate the remarkable mathematical ability of their creators," Hawkins comments."
    http://www.floating-world.org/frequencies.htm
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by Poly Hedra; 15th March 2012 at 23:41.

5. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Poly Hedra For This Post:

AwakeInADream (12th October 2012), Conchis (13th October 2012), Dorjezigzag (29th March 2012), gaiagirl (29th March 2012), Holly Lindin (30th May 2013), modwiz (15th March 2012), NeverMind (16th March 2012), percival tyro (26th March 2012), ROMANWKT (15th March 2012), seko (15th March 2012), sheddie (17th March 2012), Tibouchine (16th March 2012), WhiteFeather (16th March 2012)

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member WhiteFeather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,979 times in 5,652 posts

In this video, secret of the sumerian tablet, it shows how changed frequency's can change a shape. It starts at 1:19. Have a look. Great Thread.

Last edited by WhiteFeather; 15th March 2012 at 23:54.
    "Although I Live On This World, I Choose Not To Live In It"
    <:~W.F.~:>

"The answer to every question can be found in nature, if one knows how to look and listen”
    Gwilda Wiyaka

"Everything on the Earth has a purpose, Every disease a herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence".
    Mourning Dove Salish

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to WhiteFeather For This Post:

Alekahn (16th March 2012), AwakeInADream (12th October 2012), Dorjezigzag (29th March 2012), gaiagirl (29th March 2012), mab777 (22nd October 2012), NeverMind (16th March 2012), Poly Hedra (16th March 2012), ROMANWKT (15th March 2012), Vitalux (16th July 2012)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,180 times in 550 posts

You may want to have a look at what the Qabbalah says about colour.
    After all, it is - very simplistically put - about the manipulation of reality based on manipulation of light.

P.S. And yes, that link really IS very good.
    Last edited by NeverMind; 16th March 2012 at 01:45.
    ET SI OMNES, EGO NON

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NeverMind For This Post:

AwakeInADream (12th October 2012), Poly Hedra (16th March 2012), ROMANWKT (16th March 2012)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Thanks Whitefeather, that disk does look a lot like a cymatic pattern. There definately seems to be a lot of evidence about, from what I've read that in ancient times sound/frequencies/energy was used to move huge objects and heal people.
    So the combination of colour shape and sound must have a very profound effect on us. Still trying to find images of the colour frequencies. What does red look like as a wavelength?

Thanks Nevermind for the Qabala info. Will look into that too.
    Here is another link to sound healing. Some good info there too.
    http://http://aniwilliams.com/sound_therapy.htm
    So what about sound and shape healing? How does that happen? Any thoughts?

Last edited by Poly Hedra; 16th March 2012 at 00:38.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poly Hedra For This Post:

AwakeInADream (12th October 2012), NeverMind (16th March 2012), WhiteFeather (16th March 2012)

12. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member spiritguide's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,730 times in 1,479 posts

Check the symbols for each charkra and related color. Keep in mind that each color has an opposite color Colored crystals vibrate at the frequencies of the charkras and assist in the balance of it's related charkra. The following link will give you more info on the subject and a lead into further research. IMHO

http://www.lightstreamtechnologies.com/light.pdf

It is lenghtly but worth reading through.

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to spiritguide For This Post:

AwakeInADream (12th October 2012), gaiagirl (29th March 2012), ivaray (19th March 2012), MacStar (19th March 2012), MariaDine (25th March 2012), NeverMind (16th March 2012), Poly Hedra (16th March 2012), ROMANWKT (16th March 2012), WhiteFeather (16th March 2012), WHOMADEGOD (20th March 2012)

14. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 times in 513 posts

Quote Posted by modwiz (here)

Any thoughts?
    First off, great link there. Probably one of the best I have seen around color and its energetics. Also this is a good concept for a thread, IMO.

Shapes produced by sound and revealed in cymatics is definitely a subject I wish to look into. I would start at looking at the shapes produced by the notes of the basic musical scale, but using A=432 Hz as the reference point. There are different views as to the notes and which chakras they correspond to. Tibetans have a different chakra/note assignment than the C=base D=sacral and so on. Depending on which system you use you then get a color and shape correlation. In the system here, C would be Red and D Orange. I am just referencing here. This is not fixed info, but the methodology is fairly sound for investigation, IMO.
    Modwiz
    There are a few other posts that you have mentioned a particular note -- maybe it was A. Here's a question ... Not long ago you talked about one particular note's frequency was changed as the new standard ... would you explain the significance of this change. I assume it had to do with affecting humanity in some way. Was it done in the 60s ... beatles time period? And is it possible to reproduce the sounds side by side by mp3?

Also, this would be a great thread for alternative healing modalities --- homeopathy , aromatherapy come to mind.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alie For This Post:

AwakeInADream (12th October 2012), NeverMind (16th March 2012), Poly Hedra (16th March 2012), ROMANWKT (16th March 2012), WhiteFeather (16th March 2012)

16. Link to Post #9
    Wales Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,775 times in 1,313 posts

Hi conec

If you check out ROYAL RIFE, that's his name on the web, and his machine, which was removed from him by the USA government, and I believe killed as well for healing people with frequencies and colored glass, check it out there is a lot of info on him.

regards
    roman

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ROMANWKT For This Post:

AwakeInADream (12th October 2012), gaiagirl (29th March 2012), latshaw (17th November 2012), NeverMind (16th March 2012), Poly Hedra (16th March 2012), seko (16th March 2012)

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Fascinating stuff Spiritguide. A cool collection of facts. I even want to buy the jewellery too That part about the polarity colours for the chakras was very interesting.

and this, musical notes and star signs.
    Name:  music_chart-color_wheel-big.jpg
Views: 5904
Size:  13.9 KB
    Last edited by Poly Hedra; 16th March 2012 at 01:35.

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Poly Hedra For This Post:

AwakeInADream (12th October 2012), Conchis (13th October 2012), gaiagirl (29th March 2012), latshaw (17th November 2012), MacStar (19th March 2012), NeverMind (16th March 2012), seko (16th March 2012), spiritguide (16th March 2012)

20. Link to Post #11
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Alie (here)
    Modwiz
    There are a few other posts that you have mentioned a particular note -- maybe it was A. Here's a question ... Not long ago you talked about one particular note's frequency was changed as the new standard ... would you explain the significance of this change. I assume it had to do with affecting humanity in some way. Was it done in the 60s ... beatles time period? And is it possible to reproduce the sounds side by side by mp3?

Also, this would be a great thread for alternative healing modalities --- homeopathy , aromatherapy come to mind.
    This is a fun topic, I recently had my musician friend re tune his guitar & it sounded amazing at the corrected frequency.

MUSICAL CULT CONTROL:
    THE ROCKEFELLER FOUNDATION’S WAR
    ON CONSCIOUSNESS THROUGH THE IMPOSITION OF A=440HZ STANDARD TUNING
    Quote Abstract

This article details events in musical history that are central to understanding and treating modern psychopathology, social aggression, political corruption, genetic dysfunction, and cross-cultural degeneration of traditional values risking life on earth. This history concerns A=440Hz “standard tuning,” and the Rockefeller Foundation’s military commercialization of music. The monopolization of the music industry features this imposed frequency that is “herding” populations into greater aggression, psychosocial agitation, and emotional distress predisposing people to physical illnesses and financial impositions profiting the agents, agencies, and companies engaged in the monopoly. Alternatively, the most natural, instinctively attractive, A=444Hz (C5=528Hz) frequency that is most vividly displayed botanically has been suppressed. That is, the “good vibrations” that the plant kingdom obviously broadcasts in its greenish-yellow display, remedial to emotional distress, social aggression, and more, has been musically censored. Thus, a musical revolution is needed to advance world health and peace, and has already begun with musicians retuning their instruments to perform optimally, impact audiences beneficially, and restore integrity to the performing arts and sciences. Music makers are thus urged to communicate and debate these facts, condemn the militarization of music that has been secretly administered, and retune instruments and voices to frequencies most sustaining and healing.
    http://web.mac.com/len15/MUSICAL_CUL..._Horowitz.html

my girlfriend says she sees me as white and blue... hopefully those are good colors (she's Hungarian gypsy decent)
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

AwakeInADream (12th October 2012), Ba-ba-Ra (18th March 2012), Poly Hedra (16th March 2012), seko (16th March 2012), WhiteFeather (16th March 2012)

22. Link to Post #12
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Any thoughts?

Modwiz

A=440 is a relatively new development. Here is a breakdown of the frequencies on a piano:

Notice the many non whole numbers. Generally a sign of unwholesomeness. Go figure.
    Here ratios are shown, significanses of these ratios are also a topic of discussion

The Stradavari violin was tuned to 432 and Vivaldi and other composers used this as their tuning standard.
    Here is a list of the note breakdown in the 432 tuning. Note that all notes are whole numbers.
    - Mid Low (1 octave below middle C)

C 128
    D 144
    E 162
    F 176
    G 192
    A 216
    B 243

- Mid (middle C)

C 256
    D 288
    E 324
    F 352
    G 384
    A 432
    B 486

- Mid High (1 octave above middle C)

C 512
    D 576
    E 648
    F 704
    G 768
    A 864
    B 972

I find it interesting that the C note frequencies in this tuning correspond to the megabytes of memory sticks under the gigabyte amount.

I will post this link to give some background:http://www.omega432.com/music.html
    A little quote:
    Quote "The recent rediscoveries of the vibratory/oscillatory nature of the universe indicates that current contemporary A=440hz international concert pitch standard may possibly generate an unhealthy effect or anti-social behavior in the consciousness of human beings."
    Suffice it to say that the A=440 tuning is dissonant from nature and both stimulating and aggravating to our nature. Since the Protocols call for constant war until 'they' prevail, this musical aggravation in a time of ubiquitous music would seem to be part of a strategy. How many videos posted here make us suffer through soundtracks. Two main purposes are emotional directioning and more exposure to the dissonance.
    Last edited by modwiz; 16th March 2012 at 02:24.

23. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member spiritguide's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,730 times in 1,479 posts

@ Alie,

Here is the web site about the spiritual frequency that is a source for action. This might be what you are alluding to.

http://www.528records.com/system-page/getting-started

This thread is turning into a roadmap to universal law. which is good IMHO.

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to spiritguide For This Post:

Alie (16th March 2012), AwakeInADream (12th October 2012), latshaw (17th November 2012), MacStar (19th March 2012), Poly Hedra (16th March 2012), seko (16th March 2012), Tibouchine (16th March 2012)

25. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Any thoughts?

Modwiz

A=440 is a relatively new development. Here is a breakdown of the frequencies on a piano:

Notice the many non whole numbers. Generally a sign of unwholesomeness. Go figure.
    Here ratios are shown, significanses of these ratios are also a topic of discussion

The Stradavari violin was tuned to 432 and Vivaldi and other composers used this as their tuning standard.
    Here is a list of the note breakdown in the 432 tuning. Note that all notes are whole numbers.

C 128
    D 144
    E 162
    F 176
    G 192
    A 216
    B 243

- Mid (middle C)

C 256
    D 288
    E 324
    F 352
    G 384
    A 432
    B 486

C 512
    D 576
    E 648
    F 704
    G 768
    A 864
    B 972

I find it interesting that the C note frequencies in this tuning correspond to the megabytes of memory sticks under the gigabyte amount.

I will post this link to give some background:http://www.omega432.com/music.html
    A little quote:
    Quote "The recent rediscoveries of the vibratory/oscillatory nature of the universe indicates that current contemporary A=440hz international concert pitch standard may possibly generate an unhealthy effect or anti-social behavior in the consciousness of human beings."
    Suffice it to say that the A=440 tuning is dissonant from nature and both stimulating and aggravating to our nature. Since the Protocols call for constant war until 'they' prevail, this musical aggravation in a time of ubiquitous music would seem to be part of a strategy. How many videos posted here make us suffer through soundtracks. Two main purposes are emotional directioning and more exposure to the dissonance.
    I certainly understand now --- it threw off all the notes completely. Now as a musician, can you play a song in both ways, and if yes; does it make you FEEL differently? I'm just curious. Also, to my "westernized" soul ... I can not listen to middle eastern music b/c it's very disturbing to me. It has such a different scale. But it's not that I'm prejudice, cause I'm of middle eastern descent, but the combination of notes "scrambles" me.

Also, have you ever thought about the universe/galaxy/heavens as being music.
    Last edited by Alie; 16th March 2012 at 02:42.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Alie For This Post:

AwakeInADream (12th October 2012), latshaw (17th November 2012), modwiz (16th March 2012), Poly Hedra (16th March 2012), seko (16th March 2012), spiritguide (16th March 2012), WhiteFeather (16th March 2012)

27. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

I think you are being nice in your explanation. 440hz originated from a Nazi scientist that we brought back over with Project Paper clip, the link I posted is much darker in nature and shows bad intent which I think was the whole purpose for the re scaling (though your points are all valid and lend to the same conclusion)

Quote This part seems to have a bit of lore behind it, but the popular theory is that a Nazi propaganda minister named Josef Goebbels pushed for it to cause our bodies to be out of harmony with nature. Nature, it seems mathematically, also resonates at 432 Hz, not at 440 Hz. In any case, 440 Hz has been accepted and is the standard in use today
    http://www.lazytechguys.com/commenta...ersy-in-music/
    Last edited by TargeT; 16th March 2012 at 02:41.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

AwakeInADream (12th October 2012), Bo Atkinson (23rd March 2012), modwiz (16th March 2012), seko (16th March 2012), sheddie (19th March 2012), WhiteFeather (16th March 2012)

29. Link to Post #16
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I found this wikipedia entry on another site. This is a combination of dazzling with brilliance and baffling with bullshyte. Wikipedia is under the control of 'them'. Academically excellent in most cases. Notice, with all of this detailed information we are left with the impression that tuning is more a consequence of situation and circumstance rather than convention. Even though such conventions were passed in both Britain and Germany in the forties.

Quote History of pitch standards in Western music

Historically, various standards have been used to fix the pitch of notes at certain frequencies[4]. Various systems of musical tuning have also been used to determine the relative frequency of notes in a scale.

Pre-19th century

Until the 19th century there was no concerted effort to standardize musical pitch, and the levels across Europe varied widely. Pitches did not just vary from place to place, or over time—pitch levels could vary even within the same city. The pitch used for an English cathedral organ in the 17th century, for example, could be as much as five semitones lower than that used for a domestic keyboard instrument in the same city.

Even within one church, the pitch used could vary over time because of the way organs were tuned. Generally, the end of an organ pipe would be hammered inwards to a cone, or flared outwards, to raise or lower the pitch. When the pipe ends became frayed by this constant process they were all trimmed down, thus raising the overall pitch of the organ.

Some idea of the variance in pitches can be gained by examining old pitchpipes, organ pipes and other sources. For example, an English pitchpipe from 1720 plays the A above middle C at 380 Hz, (info) while the organs played by Johann Sebastian Bach in Hamburg, Leipzig and Weimar were pitched at A = 480 Hz, (info) a difference of around four semitones. In other words, the A produced by the 1720 pitchpipe would have been at the same frequency as the F on one of Bach's organs.

From the early 18th century, pitch could be also controlled with the use of tuning forks (invented in 1711), although again there was variation. For example, a tuning fork associated with Handel, dating from 1740, is pitched at A = 422.5 Hz, (info) while a later one from 1780 is pitched at A = 409 Hz, (info) almost a semitone lower. Nonetheless, there was a tendency towards the end of the 18th century for the frequency of the A above middle C to be in the range of 400 (info) to 450 Hz.

The frequencies quoted here are based on modern measurements and would not have been precisely known to musicians of the day. Although Mersenne had made a rough determination of sound frequencies as early as the 1600s, such measurements did not become scientifically accurate until the 19th century, beginning with the work of German physicist Johann Scheibler in the 1830s. The unit hertz (Hz), replacing cycles per second (cps), was not introduced until the twentieth century.

Pitch inflation

During historical periods when instrumental music rose in prominence (relative to the voice), there was a continuous tendency for pitch levels to rise. This "pitch inflation" seemed largely a product of instrumentalists' competing with each other, each attempting to produce a brighter, more "brilliant", sound than that of their rivals. (In string instruments, this is not all acoustic illusion: when tuned up, they actually sound objectively brighter because the higher string tension results in larger amplitudes for the harmonics.) This tendency was also prevalent with wind instrument manufacturers, who crafted their instruments to play generally at a higher pitch than those made by the same craftsmen years earlier.

It should be noted too that pitch inflation is a problem only where musical compositions are fixed by notation. The combination of numerous wind instruments and notated music has therefore restricted pitch inflation almost entirely to the Western tradition.

On at least two occasions, pitch inflation had become so severe that reform became needed. At the beginning of the 17th century, Michael Praetorius reported in his encyclopedic Syntagma musicum that pitch levels had become so high that singers were experiencing severe throat strain and lutenists and viol players were complaining of snapped strings. The standard voice ranges he cites show that the pitch level of his time, at least in the part of Germany where he lived, was at least a minor third higher than today's. Solutions to this problem were sporadic and local, but generally involved the establishment of separate standards for voice and organ ("Chorton") and for chamber ensembles ("Kammerton"). Where the two were combined, as for example in a cantata, the singers and instrumentalists might perform from music written in different keys. This system kept pitch inflation at bay for some two centuries.

The advent of the orchestra as an independent (as opposed to accompanying) ensemble brought pitch inflation to the fore again. The rise in pitch at this time can be seen reflected in tuning forks. An 1815 tuning fork from the Dresden opera house gives A = 423.2 Hz (info), while one of eleven years later from the same opera house gives A = 435 Hz (info). At La Scala in Milan, the A above middle C rose as high as 451 Hz (info).

19th and 20th century standards

The most vocal opponents of the upward tendency in pitch were singers, who complained that it was putting a strain on their voices. Largely due to their protests, the French government passed a law on February 16, 1859 which set the A above middle C at 435 Hz. This was the first attempt to standardize pitch on such a scale, and was known as the diapason normal. It became quite a popular pitch standard outside of France as well, and has also been known at various times as French pitch, continental pitch or international pitch (the last of these not to be confused with the 1939 "international standard pitch" described below).

The diapason normal resulted in middle C being tuned at approximately 258.65 Hz (info). An alternative pitch standard known as philosophical or scientific pitch, which fixed middle C at exactly 256 Hz (info) (that is, 28 Hz), and resulted in the A above it being tuned to approximately 430.54 Hz (info), gained some popularity due to its mathematical convenience (the frequencies of all the Cs being a power of two) [5]. This never received the same official recognition as A = 435 Hz, however, and was not as widely used.

British attempts at standardisation in the 19th century gave rise to the so-called old philharmonic pitch standard of about A = 452 Hz (different sources quote slightly different values), replaced in 1896 by the considerably "deflated" new philharmonic pitch at A = 439 Hz. The high pitch was maintained by Sir Michael Costa for the Crystal Palace Handel Festivals, causing the withdrawal of the principal tenor Sims Reeves in 1877,[6] though at singers' insistence the Birmingham Festival pitch was lowered (and the organ retuned) at that time. At the Queen's Hall in London, the establishment of the diapason normal for the Promenade Concerts in 1895 (and retuning of the organ to A = 439 at 15 °C (59 °F), to be in tune with A = 435.5 in a heated hall) caused the Royal Philharmonic Society and others (including the Bach Choir, and the Felix Mottl and Artur Nikisch concerts) to adopt the continental pitch thereafter.[7]

In 1939, an international conference recommended that the A above middle C be tuned to 440 Hz, now known as concert pitch. This standard was taken up by the International Organization for Standardization in 1955 (and was reaffirmed by them in 1975) as ISO 16. The difference between this and the diapason normal is due to confusion over which temperature the French standard should be measured at. The initial standard was A = 439 Hz (info), but this was superseded by A = 440 Hz after complaints that 439 Hz was difficult to reproduce in a laboratory owing to 439 being a prime number.[8]

Despite such confusion, A = 440 Hz is arguably the most common tuning used around the world. Many, though certainly not all, prominent orchestras in the United States and United Kingdom adhere to this standard as concert pitch. In other countries, however, higher pitches have become the norm: A = 442 Hz is common in certain continental European and American orchestras (the Boston symphony being the best-known example), while A = 445 Hz is heard in Germany, Austria, and China.

In practice, as orchestras still tune to a note given out by the oboe, rather than to an electronic tuning device (which would be more reliable), and as the oboist may not have used such a device to tune in the first place, there is still some variance in the exact pitch used. Solo instruments such as the piano (to which an orchestra may tune if they are playing together) are also not universally tuned to A = 440 Hz. Overall, it is thought that the general trend since the middle of the 20th century has been for standard pitch to rise, though it has been rising far more slowly than it has in the past.
    Many modern ensembles which specialize in the performance of Baroque music have agreed on a standard of A = 415 Hz, an even-tempered semitone lower (rounded to the nearest integer Hz) than A = 440 Hz. (An exact even-tempered semitone lower than A=440 would be 440/21/12=415.3047 Hz.) At least in principle, this allows for playing along with modern fixed-pitch instruments if their parts are transposed down a semitone. It is, however, common performance practice, especially in the German Baroque idiom, to tune certain works to Chorton, approximately a semitone higher than A-440 (460–470 Hz) (e.g., Pre-Leipzig period cantatas of Bach).
    There now. Don't you feel more enlightened on the subject?

30. Link to Post #17
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    I think you are being nice in your explanation. 440hz originated from a Nazi scientist that we brought back over with Project Paper clip, the link I posted is much darker in nature and shows bad intent which I think was the whole purpose for the re scaling (though your points are all valid and lend to the same conclusion)
    Yes, I am throwing softballs. I am trying to not get too emotionally stirred up. Clearer thinking results when we see the darkness from a less alarmed perspective. Tend to allow for more pro-active thinking than reactive thinking. So much of the info we get comes with emotional pumps. I feel this is manipulative and even counterproductive in some cases. Once awakened, it is distasteful. So, I am attempting to identify a specific 'audience' for what I am posting and taking the higher road. I am seasoning with the protocols remarks to keep us on course, with the problem always in plain sight.

31. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

well I've been told I'm inhumanly lacking in emotion, so I guess I have trouble seeing that perspective but your right, my info is a bit more "fear porn" ish (though I don't personally see it that way) I always like to know the intent behind an action, helps me decide where I stand on it faster & move on to the next interesting information piece =-)

sometimes I wonder why I'm drawn to information aggregation, I basically just regurgitate things I've read in other places and truely contribute very little to the "whole" other than shifting what's already there around a bit.. */le sigh*
    Where are you?

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Alekahn (21st March 2012), AwakeInADream (12th October 2012), DoubleHelix (16th March 2012), modwiz (16th March 2012), spiritguide (16th March 2012), WhiteFeather (16th March 2012)

33. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    well I've been told I'm inhumanly lacking in emotion, so I guess I have trouble seeing that perspective but your right, my info is a bit more "fear porn" ish (though I don't personally see it that way) I always like to know the intent behind an action, helps me decide where I stand on it faster & move on to the next interesting information piece =-)

sometimes I wonder why I'm drawn to information aggregation, I basically just regurgitate things I've read in other places and truely contribute very little to the "whole" other than shifting what's already there around a bit.. */le sigh*
    Well think of this .... thesis ... antithesis ... synthesis. How can we elevate otherwise? Rewash ... synthesis becomes the thesis, and so it goes. So TargeT our comments are useful to our forum (most of the time ) for growth.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alie For This Post:

Alekahn (21st March 2012), AwakeInADream (12th October 2012), modwiz (16th March 2012), spiritguide (16th March 2012), TargeT (16th March 2012)

35. Link to Post #20
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Modwiz

C 128
    D 144
    E 162
    F 176
    G 192
    A 216
    B 243

- Mid (middle C)

C 256
    D 288
    E 324
    F 352
    G 384
    A 432
    B 486

C 512
    D 576
    E 648
    F 704
    G 768
    A 864
    B 972

A little quote:
    I certainly understand now --- it threw off all the notes completely. Now as a musician, can you play a song in both ways, and if yes; does it make you FEEL differently? I'm just curious. Also, to my "westernized" soul ... I can not listen to middle eastern music b/c it's very disturbing to me. It has such a different scale. But it's not that I'm prejudice, cause I'm of middle eastern descent, but the combination of notes "scrambles" me.

Also, have you ever thought about the universe/galaxy/heavens as being music.
    Although I do like ME music there is certainly good reason to find it a little 'off'. The use of a diminished or minor second is a probably the most dissonant note relation besides the dimished fifth. For clarity. If the key was in C then C# is the minor second and F# or Gb (same note) is the dimished/minor/flat 5th. Diminished/minor/flat all connotate a semi-tone or half step down from whatever note is indicated. On a piano the half step up or down is whatever note is next to the note played. The white keys of a piano ore laid put in a C major scale. This may be gibberish, but it is an attempt to make all of this accessible, in some fashion.

Back to ME music. The scale structure and minor second usage in many of these scales is dissonant at some level. A lot of the hard core 'devil music' makes heavy usage of flat 5ths for their very 'wrong' feel.

Most people I know have music playing in their lives almost constantly. I have music playing almost never. Since almost all modern music is at the A 440 tuning, it is unbalncing at some level. There is a lot of positive emotional arousal, for sure, but it all comes wrapped in a slightly toxic delivery system. I now use 432 tuning in all of my personal music and as the tuning for just amusing myself on my various instruments. My keyboard, six strings and bass guitars are all tuned to 440 unless I am playing along with a recorded song which forces me back to 440 in most cases. Some heavy metal tunes a half step down, but 432 is more like a sixth of a step down. There is a system of 'cents' in music. A half step is 100 cents. The difference between 440 and 432 is 32 or 31.76 cents lower.

Yes I do think about galaxies and planets as music. I love Haydn's "The Planets". Pythagoras had a whole system based of music of the spheres. It was the relationships of planets and their orbits/distances from each other and the Sun, IIRC.
    Last edited by modwiz; 16th March 2012 at 03:56.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast