+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: George Clooney Arrested At Sudan Protest

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,152 times in 2,815 posts

Default George Clooney Arrested At Sudan Protest

Police have arrested George Clooney during a protest outside the Sudanese embassy in Washington DC.

The actor, who is president of United to End Genocide, was arrested and handcuffed along with several Democrat politicians and other human rights and faith leaders for civil disobedience.

The campaigners were protesting the humanitarian emergency that is reportedly threatening the lives of 500,000 people.

After speaking on the steps of the embassy to hundreds of activists, members of Congress and activist leaders were warned by police to leave the scene. When they refused, police arrested them.

Clooney, his father, Nick - a well known radio broadcaster in the US - and others, including Democratic politician Jim Moran of Virginia and civil rights leader Ben Jealous, were held after being warned three times not to cross a police line outside the embassy.

Their hands were tied with plastic cables and they were put into a US Secret Service van.

Asked about his arrest as he was led away, Clooney told a reporter: "It is a pretty humiliating thing, quite honestly."

"He feels good about the arrest. It was expected," said Sky News US correspondent Greg Milam. "It was what they would have wanted to happen."

"He clearly feels this is the way to get the message out there."

"He may think Sudan doesn't get enough attention and, being George Clooney, he knows how to get it."

Swarmed by journalists, flashing cameras and TV crews, Clooney said earlier that he hoped to draw more attention to the issue and that if action is not taken in the next three to four months "we're going to have a real humanitarian disaster."

"We need humanitarian aid to be allowed into the Sudan before it becomes the worst humanitarian crisis in the world - immediately," Clooney said to cheering supporters shortly before his arrest.

"The second thing we are here to ask is a very simple thing - it's for the government in Khartoum to stop randomly killing its own innocent men, women and children," continued the 50-year-old star of The Descendants.

"Stop raping them, and stop starving them. That's all we ask," added the long-time activist for human rights in Sudan.

The protesters were demanding that Sudan's President Omar al Bashir immediately end the blockade that they said is preventing food and humanitarian aid from reaching the people of Sudan's Nuba Mountains and Blue Nile regions.

They added that Bashir's forces had created the dire food shortage in the region by bombing fields and preventing villagers from planting crops in July and August last year.

John Prendergast, co-founder of the campaign group Enough Project, said: "George Clooney and I just returned from the Nuba Mountains, where the Sudan government regularly bombs civilians and blocks humanitarian aid to the war-torn regions along the border with South Sudan.

"It is urgent that the Khartoum government allow aid access."

"We are protesting to make sure the Sudanese government knows that the world is watching," said congressman Jim McGovern, who is also believed to have been arrested.

"The United States Congress is watching. And we will be back again and again until they stop using food as a weapon; stop slaughtering innocent men, women and children; and stop spitting in the face of the world community."

http://news.sky.com/home/showbiz-news/article/16190407

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,964 times in 7,673 posts

Default Re: George Clooney Arrested At Sudan Protest

Much kudos to him. I've always liked him... He is just not another "actor". He is a smart guy who gives a damn.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Carmody (17th March 2012), Corncrake (16th March 2012), M6* (17th March 2012), The One (16th March 2012)

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,205 times in 1,064 posts

Is this another Kony-like campaign to get support for an invasion of African nations that have natural resources for the taking under the guise of humanitarian endeavors? But even more sutler and slick?

I can't trust anyone in Hollywood having anything to do with the UN after this Kony/Jolie garbage.

Or just bad timing?
    "In science, I discovered, you cannot find the Truth."
    --Marcel Messing (during an interview with Bill Ryan)

We demand Tesla technology

5. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nearing For This Post:

bluestflame (17th March 2012), Corncrake (16th March 2012), dan i el (16th March 2012), Earth Angel (16th March 2012), gooty64 (16th March 2012), gypsybutterflykiss (16th March 2012), Jay (16th March 2012), M6* (17th March 2012), modwiz (16th March 2012), Pagan (16th March 2012), sandy (17th March 2012), seko (16th March 2012), The One (16th March 2012)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 times in 752 posts

So what's your take on this The One??

Helping the people of Sudan or any other part of Africa like Uganda seems to be the new thing around, but we know it's not new.

Although there must be a hidden plan to get the attention in Africa which might be their resources. Africa is a continent that has vast resources of minerals, gold, diamonds, food, water, animals etc etc... so sending troops will help them achieve their goal.

No matter what country goes in to help, US, China, Russia, GB, France you name it, their all in it. First come first served. We got designer crime here.

It's a shame that they use the people of that continent like pawns to create a disaster or a famine when they need it. We know this is not new, we just don't see it with our own eyes or skin.

We have to pay attention at other actions that may happen within our countries, cause this could be used as a distraction for their hidden agenda.
    Last edited by seko; 16th March 2012 at 18:15.
    Breathe in the air

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to seko For This Post:

Corncrake (16th March 2012), gypsybutterflykiss (16th March 2012), nearing (16th March 2012), sandy (17th March 2012), The One (16th March 2012)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Hard to keep track of all these but smells like a "stale fruit cake" to me.
    Frej Fick Odens Visdom, Som Gjorde Bocken Till En Bra Man, En God Man, Med Goda Mänskior, Fylgior Och Valkyrior

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pagan For This Post:

modwiz (16th March 2012), sandy (17th March 2012), The One (16th March 2012)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 times in 659 posts

So what do we do? We know there are atrocities going on in many parts of Africa but do we just keep out of it because it is not our business? Or do we help to save lives? So much debt in the developing world gets written off anyway perhaps we should help the oppressed and then give them financial aid to help them to rebuild their own countries without the likes of Halliburton and the IMF getting involved. Trouble is half the time I am not sure who really is the 'oppressed'. There was so much spin on events in Libya and now Syria that one becomes cynical yet and all the time people are dying. For what it is worth I rate George Clooney highly - he has made some crowd pleasers in order to fund his more political endeavours such as 'Good Night and Good Luck', 'Syriana,' 'Michael Clayton' and most recently 'The Ides of March'.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corncrake For This Post:

Kindling (16th March 2012), The One (16th March 2012)

12. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Logan's Avatar
    Thanks

I created this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Logan For This Post:

The One (16th March 2012)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Certainly the former (follow the money). He's mates with CFR & david rockeller. Interestingly, there were four countries on the globe which don't have Rothchild/Jesuit reserve banks - Cuba, North Korea, Iran and Sudan. They now have Sudan. Three more to go. (BTW - maybe he joins the pope in Cuba later this month....... SLOL)
    Pity - he seems likeable.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jay For This Post:

bluestflame (17th March 2012), nearing (16th March 2012), sandy (17th March 2012), seko (16th March 2012)

16. Link to Post #9
    Czech Republic Avalon Member haibane's Avatar
    Thanks

This has appeared in Czech MSM today as well - only no mention of that Kony 2012 BS anywhere at all. IMHO this reeks of publicity stunt.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to haibane For This Post:

bluestflame (17th March 2012), gooty64 (16th March 2012), nearing (16th March 2012), The One (16th March 2012)

18. Link to Post #10
    Czech Republic Avalon Member haibane's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Jay (here)
    Pity - he seems likeable.
    I completely agree. But hey - so did Obama just a couple of years ago, didn't he?

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to haibane For This Post:

gypsybutterflykiss (16th March 2012), modwiz (16th March 2012), Möbius (17th March 2012), nearing (16th March 2012), sandy (17th March 2012), The One (16th March 2012)

20. Link to Post #11
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,152 times in 2,815 posts

Quote So what's your take on this The One??
    Simple

Never beleive what you see in the media.They are the major players

21. Link to Post #12
    Mauritius Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 times in 635 posts

Quote Posted by StarSeed (here)
    Much kudos to him. I've always liked him... He is just not another "actor". He is a smart guy who gives a damn.
    Be careful what you say. Can you offer proof of what you just said? because Someone will come along very soon and tell you it is not so..

22. The Following User Says Thank You to kersley For This Post:

The One (16th March 2012)

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,575 times in 2,121 posts

This is starting to get my goat.

I truly believe George Clooney, of all people in the Hollywood mill has a heart as big a whale. He is an astute in the game to help raise awareness of humanitarian initiatives over disempowerment issues and has not been shy to produce, write and direct films (like Syriana) to bust open wide the insidious links of the war machine and terrorism to elitists and cabalists who preside from the UK to Saudia Arabia to the UN and of course, the US of A.

But damn, what I am pissed at is: we can go fight for children in other lands, but we have the same problems in our own countries, and most critically the horrendous and ongoing practice of child abuse and slavery. Not to mention, the many cases of citizens having their rights abused, lives destroyed, homes taken away.

Where are the bleeding hearts of Hollywood then?

I keep thinking about the words of Miranda Kelley - who has come forward as a victim of horrendous acts against her as a child and into her adult years - not by a Kony, but by an institution that for all intents and purposes has been allowed by the US Government to flourish. Miranda asked this poignant question: how can we call ourselves spiritual, how can we say that we are on a journey of ascension when outrageous acts towards other human beings, especially towards children, are being conducted in our own backyards?

A few weeks ago, before this forum, I did not pay any attention to kony 2012, who runs it or who backs it. Or the countless other initiatives staged by ´humanitarians´in the western world, because admittedly, I have allowed it to wash over me in recent years. At one point, I started to withdraw from giving my money away to the bigger agencies because a former insider started to educate me about how much donation money actually gets sucked up by the administrations. But, I have always questioned (and therefore offered my help where I can) to people who I see get mostly overlooked. They are our neigbours out there on the streets. How many people in the west really come to help the homeless in their own neighborhoods, cities, suburbs? Every year I think to myself, people prefer them not to be there, so they seem to pretend they are not there. It is like they have got an infectious disease. Yet they are humans in pain and peril. How they arrived at that place, well you could open pandoras box on that one ...

It saddens me. We have got to deal with our own - first. And especially at this time, when in our western societies, the political systems are either creating, and or, enabling the disempowerment of people - who have fallen vulnerable - in their droves.

Thanks for keeping this topic alive on here. The whole thing stinks but amongst this are people really with heart as well, if not naive to a bigger machine that is manipulating them to inject reasons to invade countries - be it for oil or star gates.

I have run out of breath here. I´ll be back.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Debra For This Post:

gypsybutterflykiss (16th March 2012), modwiz (16th March 2012), Möbius (17th March 2012), sandy (17th March 2012), The One (17th March 2012)

25. Link to Post #14
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

If we very easily find out who is selling arms a ammunition to the oppressors in Sudan and stop it, then some of the pressure would be alleviated. Arms dealers are the food source for the infections of the world. The usual suspects with their political connections are why these crimes to continue. In any armed conflict the same people are making money supplying the tools for death. It is a scam and Clooney is a stooge. Very possibly an innocent one who sees the carnage, wants to do something, but has not connected some very important dots. Dots that connecting could be bad for his carreer.

Reading the Protocols would help him intellectually and spiritually, if not professionally.

26. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member cloud9's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,796 times in 663 posts

Well... damn if you do and damn if you don't. So are we condemned to never believe or trust anybody? Is not possible that he is just a nice guy who wants to do something? Almost everybody else is just seating some where just judging...

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cloud9 For This Post:

Corncrake (17th March 2012), Debra (17th March 2012), The One (17th March 2012)

28. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,921 times in 4,417 posts

Quote Posted by nearing (here)
    Is this another Kony-like campaign to get support for an invasion of African nations that have natural resources for the taking under the guise of humanitarian endeavors? But even more sutler and slick?

I can't trust anyone in Hollywood having anything to do with the UN after this Kony/Jolie garbage.

Or just bad timing?

That was my first thought also Nearing. Especially the timing. All of this, right at election time. How convenient.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

Debra (17th March 2012), Möbius (17th March 2012), nearing (17th March 2012), sandy (17th March 2012), The One (17th March 2012)

30. Link to Post #17
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    where ever there is a smile, ill be there :-)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,412 times in 1,702 posts

I just watched a clooney movie, up in the air, hard to imagine he is a bad guy. Hmmm either way its cool for hollywood stars to be arrested, its also a great way to get attention for a cause. Maybe just mYbe he is going to hedge a bet and have a win win. Thats what they do you know.

N
    N

31. Link to Post #18
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

interesting timing considering they just enacted the presidential executive order

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...s-Preparedness

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

Debra (17th March 2012), M6* (17th March 2012), The One (17th March 2012)

33. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,798 times in 666 posts

Ah well, at least he managed to keep his hands off his joy stick.
    Sapere aude

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taurean For This Post:

Debra (17th March 2012), The One (17th March 2012)

35. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

I am thinking that George Clooney and Jolie are of a completely different "ilk"! ...In other words, when he says something I listen. ....I try to keep her OUT of my view! M6* (Kentuckian, by birth.)

36. The Following User Says Thank You to M6* For This Post:

The One (17th March 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast