Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: US says Wikileaks could 'threaten national security'

1. Link to Post #1
    New Zealand Avalon Member Studeo's Avatar
    Thanks

Default US says Wikileaks could 'threaten national security'

26 July 2010 Last updated at 15:45 GMT

US says Wikileaks could 'threaten national security'

The United States has condemned as "irresponsible" the leak of 90,000 military records, saying publication could threaten national security.

The documents released by the Wikileaks website include details of killings of Afghan civilians unreported until now.

Three news organisations had advance access to the records, which also show Nato concerns that Pakistan and Iran are helping the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Pakistan has denied claims its intelligence agency backed the group.

The Pakistani presidential spokeswoman, Farahnaz Ispahani, said the leaks might be an attempt to sabotage the new strategic dialogue between the US and Pakistan.

A spokesman for Afghan President Hamid Karzai said he was "shocked" at the scale of the leaks, but thought that "most of this is not new".

The huge cache of classified papers - posted by Wikileaks as the Afghan War Diary - is one of the biggest leaks in US history. It was also given in advance to the New York Times, the Guardian and the German news magazine, Der Spiegel....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10758578
    Destiny comes to those who listen and fate finds the rest. So learn what you can learn. Do what you can do and never give up hope! Marshall's Motto. Peace to all.

2. Link to Post #2
    Greece Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 times in 519 posts

Default Re: US says Wikileaks could 'threaten national security'

I just think its 1 more push towards a war against IRAN ... who knows Pakistan also? They leaked the files themselves and now cry wolf and point fingers.

3. Link to Post #3
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 times in 408 posts

Quote They leaked the files themselves and now cry wolf and point fingers.
    I think its done to take out/shut down bloggers,...............

4. Link to Post #4
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

to give just cause to implement new legislation to lock down freeflowing of information and ideas in other areas over the internet , they already have the monitoring in place they just want the law to support them so they can come out in the open about it

5. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Wikileaks site is down - probably servers overloaded by massive surge of traffic as this is now all over the MSM

6. Link to Post #6
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 times in 408 posts

Quote Posted by JoshERTW (here)
    Wikileaks site is down - probably servers overloaded by massive surge of traffic as this is now all over the MSM
    http://wardiary.wikileaks.org/

7. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,433 times in 8,340 posts

Alex Jones is going to talk to a couple of people/guests today who are suspucious that Wikileaks might not be quite what it seems!

The show started 50 mins ago ( 5:00pm UK time ).
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

8. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    Alex Jones is going to talk to a couple of people/guests today who are suspucious that Wikileaks might not be quite what it seems!
    I'm not a big AJ fan but I could see the PTB exploiting this. For example trying to turn public opinion against Wikileaks (and alternative media in general) as being a 'national security threat.' Agenda would be to implement tighter internet control, limit freedom of speech etc. I'd go as far to say as we can probably expect this type of reaction from the PTB.

This does not automatically mean that Assange/Wikileaks is on the payroll, just that the PTB are reacting to a situation. Perhaps they even seeded some of the intel (the "Iran supplying arms" thing seems especially suspect).

Edit:

Thanks Swami for the link - war diary seems to be only part of the site thats up at the moment.

Personally I get a good vibe off this Assange character and what he is trying to do. A true Revolutionary.

9. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,670 times in 1,986 posts

Quote Posted by Studeo (here)
    Three news organisations had advance access to the records, which also show Nato concerns that Pakistan and Iran are helping the Taliban in Afghanistan.
    NATO should be concerned for NATO countries in NATO area ... Unless we had a pole shift and the world map altered drastically ... I can't remember the North
    Atlantic even being close to Afghanistan.

Thumbs up for David Icke who years ago predicted that NATO would operate outside it's territory ....

10. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

11. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,628 times in 390 posts

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    Alex Jones is going to talk to a couple of people/guests today who are suspicious that Wikileaks might not be quite what it seems!.
    So, the "conspiracy guy" wants to talk about the anti-conspiracy guys really being a conspiracy to trap and delude the real anti-conspiracy guys with an anti-anti-conspiracy conspiracy.

God I wish I could write this stuff!

12. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,433 times in 8,340 posts

Quote Posted by Fredkc (here)
    So, the "conspiracy guy" wants to talk about the anti-conspiracy guys really being a conspiracy to trap and delude the real anti-conspiracy guys with an anti-anti-conspiracy conspiracy.

God I wish I could write this stuff!

That's the whacky side of all this, for sure. I'm trying to see it all as a criminal investigation as well.

When there is a serial criminal on the loose in my community and the local chief of police is running the investigation and following up all leads like he should, I tend to hope that he'll get to the bottom of it and collar the crook. If he comes out on the radio and gives a statement about how the investigation is going, I don't, and I haven't yet heard others accuse him of being a conspiracy theorist.

I'm hoping that the world wide community is going to gradually grow into the idea that a great crime has got to be solved and the investigation is a serious one that will be the difference between having to 'lock our doors' and opening them up and 'letting the air in'.

The difficulties arise between us when we have so many different ways of coping with being cooped up in our little boxes. Some people are lying on the floor doing breath training and normalizing the situation while others are banging and kicking the doors 'raging against the machine' and definately not intending to normalize any of it, not the actions of the crook and not the passive normalization of it by the 'meek', either.

As it's our 'communities' that are mainly terrorised by the 'crook', I hold tight to the idea that our communities are what we've got and what we must make the most of. We are a very mixed crowd and there are lots of potentially serious arguments to be had among us. A unifying factor is called for and the biggest issue I can see right now is the nature of that unifying factor.

Do we even want to FIX this world at all, or are we saving all our 'pennies in "heaven"'?

My gut feeling is that as long as we are still living in these bodies in this world, we should be trying to fix this world. If Alex Jones is trying to fix this world, I'm paying a lot of attention to the energy around him. I've been listening to him nearly continuously for 18 months since I finally managed to get passed my 'difficulties' with his Texan 'red-neck' angle on everything.

I would never want Alex Jones to become the leader of the world. That would be a nightmare, but his passion for getting to the bottom of the CRIME that has, and is, robbing all of us of the world we could be living in is quite infectious and is just getting to the stage where it's going to get very interesting from here on.

Wikileakes is a kind of cerebral keyboard jockey version of Alex Jones but without his 'in the flesh' passion and plain 'goodness'. With the PTB having a very challenging time trying to keep the Alex Jones phenomenon under control or even eliminated, it's a very plausible case to make that a super-truth factoid based new kid on the block could very easily be a stalking horse to out flank Alex Jones on his more blind side.

Softly softly catchy monkey.
    Last edited by norman; 26th July 2010 at 20:38.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

13. Link to Post #13
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

http://wikileaks.org/wiki/US_Lawmake..._Over_TSA_Leak

first they pick off the ones that can be percieved in public opinion to be "justified " , but once any new legislation rushed into effect is enforcable the semantics and the intent behind the clever wording of the legislation begins to be used to muscle in on other (broad term) "whistleblower sites "

14. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,835 times in 3,731 posts

Think is there is evidence in the war diary of naughtiness on the part of the government who have been pretty much lying. Now people can see that. Lots of NC deaths (ie non-combatants) largely unreported etc. Subsequently finding many of these children.

If this was planned by the Pentagon as the ultimate blog-stopper, I think it will backfire.
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

15. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

The only threat to security is how it exposes the lies. The lies aren't secure once exposed to light.

16. Link to Post #16
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,835 times in 3,731 posts

I did some background reading into the Pentagon Papers that I did not know about, no wonder the government are unhappy, spectre of the past...

As is my habit, I highlighted a few things

Quote On June 13, 1971, The New York Times began publishing the Pentagon Papers, a documentary history tracing the ultimately doomed involvement of the United States in a grinding war in the jungles and rice paddies of Southeast Asia.

They demonstrated, among other things, that the Johnson Administration had systematically lied, not only to the public but also to Congress, about a subject of transcendent national interest and significance.

The Government sought and won a court order restraining further publication after three articles had appeared. Other newspapers then began publishing. They, too, were restrained, until finally, on June 30, 1971, the United States Supreme Court ruled, by a vote of 6 to 3, that publication could resume.

The fight over the top-secret papers, whose compilation had been ordered by Robert S. McNamara when he was Defense Secretary, became a pivotal moment in the ages-old struggle between the Government and the press. But few would have guessed at the time how much it would change the news media, how much it would change the public view of the news media and the Government and how little it would change the way the Government conducts its business.

Opponents of the Vietnam war, including Daniel Ellsberg, the onetime hawk turned dove who played a key role in making the papers public, hoped that doing so might persuade President Richard M. Nixon to change his policy on Vietnam. It did not. Less than a year after publication, Haiphong Harbor was mined, and the war dragged on.

The Pentagon Papers prompted the first attempt ever made by the Federal Government to impose a prior restraint on the press in the name of national security. In his new book, "The Day the Presses Stopped" (University of California Press), David Rudenstine argues that some of the papers (though not the ones printed) could indeed have compromised national security.

Few if any of the main players in the drama share that view. But even if it is correct, that only makes the precedent stronger; the Constitution, in the Court's view, makes prior restraint impermissible even if there is some danger to national security.

Victory emboldened the news media, and the contents of the Pentagon Papers themselves guaranteed, at least for the generation of journalists directly involved, that every Government utterance would be subject to skeptical (and too often cynical) scrutiny. The Nixon Administration responded by creating the Plumbers unit (so called because they were to deal with leaks like that of the papers). That step in turn led to the Watergate scandal and ultimately to Nixon's resignation. — R. W. Apple Jr., June 23, 1996

Let the sword of truth strike at the lies in all people.
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

17. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,932 times in 385 posts

Re: US says Wikileaks could 'threaten national security' change that to Wikileaks could threaten the idea of national security and i would agree. I found this interview that might be of interest.

Interesting you meen the troops aren't there out the kindness of their heart? what do you meen there are alterior motives for getting involved in a civil war. No surly armies are not taking part in a war because someone is making money from it. People have the right to want/need help, but they should also have the right to know just how much said help costs in the short/long term. The ends do not always justify the means.

Peaceful journeys. Wookie
    "The Perception of an Illusion is Deception, even when you believed it was real! Perception of Deception is not an Illusion at all!" Carl Stoynoff

18. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Considering that they have 92,000 documents and have only read through 2,000 or so that will be released in 2 months......I'm pretty stoked. If these are credible, filled to the gills documents, we hopefully will be given a driving force to motivate individuals that are lacking the such about the situation.

I'm much more interested in the money laundering schemes rather than the violence.
    Today a man on acid realized that all of matter is merely energy condensed into a slow moving vibration, that we are all one, and there is no such thing as death. Life is but a dream.
    Here's Tom with the weather.....
    -Bill Hicks

19. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 times in 221 posts

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/ju...wikileaks.html

This is very good interview from TED. Personally I see if anyone is going to really be listened to on a world stage and mature audience, it is this fellow. He is educated, well-spoken, and not someone who comes off as a fanatical loonie toon, which would immediately alienate almost anyone under 30.

Some people come off as a disservice not only to themselves but the whole movement, with their emotional outbursts, and diatribes. Know matter how well meaning they may think they are - they are also very hard to take seriously. Give people just the facts and let them make up their own minds, this is what I see him doing and actually making a difference.

Enjoy
    Renee

20. Link to Post #20
    New Zealand Avalon Member Studeo's Avatar
    Thanks

Source: The Independent
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...e-2041235.html

Wikileaks editor interrogated by US border police
    By Stephen Foley in Las Vegas

Monday, 2 August 2010
    A senior volunteer for Wikileaks in the US has been detained, questioned and had his phones seized when he returned to the country from Europe, as the FBI steps up its investigation into the leak of thousands of Afghanistan war secrets to the whistleblower website.
    Jacob Appelbaum, who has stood in for Wikileaks founder Julian Assange since he was advised not to travel to the US, spent three hours at a New York airport while customs officers photocopied receipts and searched his laptop, and he was again approached and questioned by FBI officers at a computer hackers conference in Las Vegas on Saturday.
    Two officers approached Mr Appelbaum after he had given a talk on how to subvert Chinese government internet surveillance at the annual DefCon conference. He declined to talk to them.
    The internet security researcher had returned to the US for the conference from the Netherlands on Thursday when he was detained. Border officials quizzed him on the whereabouts of Mr Assange, on his attitudes to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and on the philosophy behind Wikileaks.
    Mr Assange has not been to the US since Wikileaks published a secret video showing US military personnel in Iraq celebrating a helicopter attack in which 12 civilians were killed, including Reuters journalists. The controversy has escalated further since the site additionally published 90,000 field reports and other military documents from the war in Afghanistan, including some that contained the names of Afghan informants.
    Mr Appelbaum, who works with the Tor project, which helps internet users to obscure their identity online, has long been a senior spokesman for Wikileaks in the US. Last month he stood in for Mr Assange at a New York computer conference and used the event to ask for funding and volunteers. Fearing the authorities, instead of returning to the stage as promised after the helicopter video played, he left by a side entrance and used a decoy in a similar hooded top to walk out of the front.
    Since the seizure of his electronic equipment last week, Mr Appelbaum's voicemail now says "this telephone number is no longer an appropriate way to reach me".
    Talking to The Independent at DefCon at the weekend, he angrily rejected comments from the US joint chiefs of staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, who said of Wikileaks and its volunteers last week that "they might already have on their hands the blood of some young soldier or that of an Afghan family" because insurgents could use information in the documents to launch reprisals.
    "When you have been waging war for 10 years, who are you to say that?" Mr Appelbaum said. "What are you thinking, writing these people's names down? And what are you doing in concrete terms to protect these people?"
    Both the FBI and the US military believe that the documents came from the same source as the helicopter video, and they have already charged a 22-year-old intelligence analyst working in Iraq, Bradley Manning, with that leak. Now they are examining Mr Manning's links with the hacker community.
    At DefCon, Mr Appelbaum refused to confirm or comment on his detention but defended Wikileaks' commitment to exposing information that governments around the world want suppressed. "All governments are on a continuum of tyranny," he said. "In the US, a cop with a gun can commit the most heinous crime and be given the benefit of the doubt. In the US, we don't have censorship but we do have collaborating news organisations."
    Destiny comes to those who listen and fate finds the rest. So learn what you can learn. Do what you can do and never give up hope! Marshall's Motto. Peace to all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast