+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seed Swaps

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 times in 201 posts

Lightbulb Seed Swaps

There are many opportunities online to exchange flower and vegetable seeds (yahoo groups, various forums, etc). This site seems very well organized and active, and I joined it today:

http://www.seedswaps.com

On this site, I found a simple but ingenious way of packaging seeds for mailing. I think I'll use this method, in future exchanges!

http://www.seedswaps.com/index.php?do=seedpacking

*dreaming of starting my container garden...but today is like this: *

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nenuphar For This Post:

tuku (21st February 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,492 times in 2,185 posts

Default Re: Seed Swaps

This looks really interesting! Do you know if it's international, just N. America, Canada or USA?

Funny, I was just suggesting something like this over at the chat... between us Avalonians...

PS...I would like to know the packaging suggestion without having to sign up...want to share?
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 times in 322 posts

I'm also interested in seed swaps but would also like to know a bit more before signing up. I guess Canada is included in this project. eg How do you package the seeds for mailing?

5. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 times in 201 posts

Opps! I'm sorry, I thought you'd be able to access the packaging information at that link without having to sign up. Here is the information from that page (I'll add my own description where there were photos instead of text):

Packaging Your Seeds

This is a guide to help with packing. There are many different ways to package your seeds. These are just a couple of different methods you can use. Don't package your seeds in cardboard. It will not withstand the pressure of the letter rollers. Two things to keep in mind when packaging are Stealth and Strength. You should keep these two important things in mind when packaging your seeds to send through the mail.

Plastic Washers and Coin Holders

The two packaging materials in this image consist of Plastic washers and Coin Holders. You can get Plastic washers at any hardware store. You can get coin holders at most hobby stores or coin collectors.

Place a washer on top of one side of a flat coin holder (over the "window" part of the coin holder).

Place seeds inside of the washer.

Fold over the other side of the coin holder and staple the coin holder shut.

The link to the site Forum is down, but I think there can be international trades as on the "About Us" page, it says: "Possession of some seeds are illegal in many countries. Be informed before you trade. By trading, you are indicating that you have reached the age of majority where you live, and are aware of your local laws. You also waive any liability towards SeedSwaps or myself if you act outside your laws. We are not trying to persuade anyone to break the law. If you are ordering from these countries, be reminded that orders can be confiscated in the mail."

I am going to email the site to let them know the forum isn't working and to ask if it is an international seed swap, or if it has predominantly North American participants.

+ Reply to Thread