+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 4 14 28 LastLast

Thread: The gut of most disease... NOT what you think!

1. Link to Post #61
    England Avalon Member Connecting with Sauce's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 times in 354 posts

Default Re: The root of most disease... NOT what you think!

Our kefir grows in a glass jar with a kitchen sheet over the top (porous) held by elastic band. Also the first 2-3 batches will be not the best as the kefir settles down and gets accustomed to the milk. Ideally use raw milk, we use Tesco finest milk which although pasterised is NOT homoganised... getting raw milk in UK is difficult ad we are not in a dairy area.

I bought some more cabbages today and we have 3 large containers fermenting and a few too many cabages left... we're running out of jars we dd get some extra cultures which were added to the cabages too.

Just a Question... What does Ozone do to these bacteria? I drank some ozonated water earlier today and I also think urine has some hydrogen peroxide in it... a similar molecule.
    John Shore

CWSauce

My new website
    www.HealingShores.com

Some testimonials of my distant healing

Some amazing threads worth checking out to get health back on track, stay balanced and thrive..

Gall Bladder AND Liver flushing
    Taking the Piss Your Own Perfect Medicine

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Connecting with Sauce For This Post:

Dawn (16th April 2012), Eram (25th April 2012), Rainbowbrite (25th April 2012)

3. Link to Post #62
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 times in 1,149 posts

Default Re: The root of most disease... NOT what you think!

Quote Conneting With Sauce: Just a Question... What does Ozone do to these bacteria? I drank some ozonated water earlier today and I also think urine has some hydrogen peroxide in it... a similar molecule.
    What an interesting question. I imagine it would kill them, It sterilizes almost anything it comes in contact with (the ozone, not the urine- LOL) but we'll see if anyone has this answer. I drink home made ozonated water on days that I have big die off toxcicity, when bacterial poisons bother my body. It helps a lot to mitigate symptoms, as the ozone goes into the blood stream, and combines with toxic substances there.

Thanks for the info on your kefir with a porous sheet. I guess I got over-enthusiastic. I now have 3 fresh kefir grain strains that I'm brewing. My partner bought one form ebay, I bought one from the Amazon.com, and then I just couldn't wait for them to arrive by mail and bought more from my local Craigslist connection. I've decided to culture all 3 separately to see if I can taste the difference. The amounts that came in the mail were pretty tiny and will take some time to build up to a large enough size to make any quantity of kefir. They are each sitting about 1/8 cup of milk in the cupboard. However the local grains I got are healthy and producing very tasty kefir indeed.

Today my home made rejuvilac was ready and I combined it with the ginger bug for a very tasty and refreshing soda-like drink. My stomach really liked it a lot. I also harvested my purple carrots and put them into fermenting jars. They have too much sugar in them for me right now, so I can't eat them directly, however the lactose-bacillus culture will love their sugar and return them to me as healthy fermented living. food.

Here's a simple home cost saving tip for anyone wishing to attempt home made fermented food. After looking online at all the costly ways to make fermented food that does not risk mold and so on we made our own air lock caps for a very small price.

****Here's what they look like when someone else makes them, but the price is quite high: http://www.amazon.com/Homesteaders-S...4546582&sr=8-1

**** Here's how I made them. I bought plastic wide mouth mason jar lids (available anywhere canning supplies are sold), drilled a hole in the top, inserted the air lock shown below, and used super glue to make a firm connection. Voila, my own air lock jar lid for about $1.25 total cost. Here's the link for the air locks if you'd like to try your hand:
    http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Plastic-...4546863&sr=8-1
    Last edited by Dawn; 16th April 2012 at 03:33.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

conk (16th April 2012), Eram (25th April 2012), Rainbowbrite (17th April 2012), Swanette (29th April 2012)

5. Link to Post #63
    Thanks

Default Re: The gut of most disease... NOT what you think!

Hi Dawn,

Did you make the kimchi? I've been wandering around Seoul the past few days observing the glut of kimchi earthenware pots that there are. All around the city you can see 20-50L pots on balconies, apartment roof tops, and around the sides of almost every building. Yesterday I asked the lady who i buy my veg from at the market if she had any kimchi. She said she did of course, so I asked her how much did it cost to buy per kilo? She laughed at me and said that it was free. She then told me to follow her over to a huge walk-in fridge that contained 2 x 50L pots. She gave me about 5 kilos worth. Happy days.

I also notice that 2 ingredients often used when making it are garlic and ginger. I started thinking about how ingredients like raw garlic and ginger are considered to have antibiotic effects but I would say that rather than kill everything (both good and bad) like prescription antibiotics do, they specifically kill harmful flora and help prevent its future growth. As this is happening, the probiotics should be added to the diet – a small helping of kimchi or sauerkraut once or twice a day should be sufficient. It’s all about reaching the right balance and just as too much sugar or wheat etc can lead to the growth of harmful gut flora, too much fermented food is no use either. I note that a 2005 study in South Korea found that when eaten in large quantities, kimchi increases the risk of gastric cancer.

I'd also note this piece i found on Wikipedia:

"Alaska has witnessed a steady increase of cases of botulism since 1985.[11] It has more cases of botulism than any other state in the United States of America. This is caused by the traditional Eskimo practice of allowing animal products such as whole fish, fish heads, walrus, sea lion and whale flippers, beaver tails, seal oil, birds, etc., to ferment for an extended period of time before being consumed. The risk is exacerbated when a plastic container is used for this purpose instead of the old-fashioned method, a grass-lined hole, as the botulinum bacteria thrive in the anaerobic conditions created by the air-tight enclosure in plastic.[11]"
    Last edited by David Hughes; 1st September 2018 at 08:09.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to David Hughes For This Post:

conk (23rd April 2012), Dawn (3rd May 2012), Eram (25th April 2012), Rainbowbrite (24th April 2012), Swanette (29th April 2012)

7. Link to Post #64
    Thanks

Thank you Tyler. I had no idea about the 'grass lined hole'. According to my sister, who lived in Korea for 10 years, Americans were careful of Kimchee with fish or animal products in it. It was known that you could become really ill from these. Vegetable kimchee is considered safe however.

Fermenting vegetables in an airtight container is actually a good idea as this discourages a type of mold that is not dangerous but can create an 'off taste' in the finished product. Personally I would not use a plastic container for anything that holds food or water for any length of time. All my current personal brine fermenting efforts are either in earthen crocks or glass containers. All of them have some type of airlock which allows fermentation bubbles composed of Co2 to escape but prevents O2 from entry. This prevents the growth of mold on top of the fermenting vegetables, which can create an 'off flavor' if not cleaned off. However, many years ago I made my first batch in a large open ceramic crock with a heavy plate on top weighted down by a brick. This traditional American Pioneer method keeps everything below the brine level, and the resulting 'kraut was delicious.

Other types of fermenting products such as rejuvilac and kefir use loose lids or even fabric covers which allow air to circulate freely. These are all traditional foods with no known record of danger when cultured this way.

My sister has many stories of women gifting kimchee to everyone who would like some. In Korea, the quality of kimchee is said to reflect the quality of the woman who makes it. It is thought that the women who makes it puts something of herself into each batch. I think the story of your gift is lovely!!! Thank you for sharing. And thanks for the information of too much Kimchee. From what I can tell, red pepper also seems to play a big role in Kimchee.

I am making my first batch of kimchee as soon as my new 7.5 Liter crock arrives in the mail sometime during the next week. Right now I've used up all my available containers. Lots of enthusiasm, but not enough containers to hold it all (LOL).

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

Alekahn (23rd April 2012), Eram (25th April 2012), Rainbowbrite (19th April 2012), Swanette (29th April 2012), ThePythonicCow (17th April 2012)

9. Link to Post #65
    Thanks

Worth mentioning also that when using salt to make the kimchi or sauerkraut, i'd highly recommend using a good quality salt like himalayan rock salt as opposed to refined table salt.
    Last edited by David Hughes; 7th August 2018 at 10:06.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David Hughes For This Post:

Dawn (19th April 2012), Eram (25th April 2012), Swanette (29th April 2012)

11. Link to Post #66
    England Avalon Member Connecting with Sauce's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 times in 354 posts

On this subject. This show is worth listening to:

http://www.oneradionetwork.com/healt...-april-5-2012/

THE MORNING SHOW
    with
    Patrick Timpone
    Professor Don Huber
    Agricultural Scientist and Expert in Microbial Ecology
    April 5, 2012
    We’ve been waiting a long time to talk with Professor Huber, an agricultural scientist and expert in microbial ecology, but it was worth the wait. One hour turned into two so get prepared for one of the most important and spookiest shows of the year.
    Professor Huber starts with explaining and describing RoundUp, a broad spectrum herbicide used to clean up weeds and is the most abused chemical in agriculture. He then moves into explaing RoundUp Ready crops which are genetically modified to withstand RoundUp. Why are they a threat to agriculture and our health? The answers go deep and Prof. Huber explains it well. On January 16, 2011, Prof. Huber wrote a letter to Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack with information about a newly discovered ‘pathogen that appears to significantly impact the health of plants, animals, and probably human beings’, which is found in higher concentrations of Round Up Ready soybeans and corn. Click here to view this informative letter. Prof. Huber spends the second hour explaining how these genetically engineered crops affect our digestion, the gut flora and our overall health. Please take the time to send this podcast to at least one person you care about. This subject needs to be talked about again and again and again as we have the power to stop the destruction of natural food by not participating in the consumption of this food and demanding the labeling of products in which this food is included.

It discusses how GMO food destroys the good bacteria in the stomach and also modifies the internal flora...
    John Shore

CWSauce

My new website
    www.HealingShores.com

Some testimonials of my distant healing

Some amazing threads worth checking out to get health back on track, stay balanced and thrive..

Gall Bladder AND Liver flushing
    Taking the Piss Your Own Perfect Medicine

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Connecting with Sauce For This Post:

Dawn (19th April 2012), Eram (25th April 2012), Rainbowbrite (19th April 2012), Swanette (29th April 2012)

13. Link to Post #67
    Great Britain Avalon Member Rainbowbrite's Avatar
    Thanks

Hello Dawn and everyone who's contributed to this fantastic thread! Many thanks to all for the wealth of information here.

I think i'm ready to give this a shot and would like to share my experiences with you all. I have a family member who is experiencing some serious intestinal/gut symptoms, i believe that this stems from a lack of good flora in their gut, and after reading this thread i'm considering or rather reconsidering diet too - fascinating stuff. This imbalance, we think, occured as a result of them taking very heavy doses of antibiotics several years ago as prescribed by the doctor to deal with 'Bells Palsy'... Which is thought to be a virus - so why the hefty doses of antibiotics? Well, anyway, that experience was a big part of the wake up call ... However they've not felt totally well since then. So, our thinking is that giving this a try really makes sense! We're all very excited by it!

I have an archaic P.C. and slow connection speed, as such i do struggle to watch video, so whilst i wait for books to arrive i have a couple of questions and would greatly appreciate any input!

Ok, so, cutting out carbs and sugars is key - i do have a simple working knowledge of nutrition and as a result (i know carbs are everywhere!) i'm more than a little baffled by what is a carb and what isn't! My family eats a 'healthy' diet with plenty of fresh fruits and veggies and i'd really like to know (other than the obvious potato) what veg is ok and low/no carb - bearing in mind that i'm a total newbie to this. It's things like sweet potato that are confusing me, i've read previously that these contain 'good' carbs - is there such a thing? Also where do pulses stand in the scheme of things? Dawn mentions earlier in the thread that this diet is seriously restricted, could anyone provide a link to a text document/site that the basic foods are outlined in - sorry in advance if i've missed one! Is the food eaten on the diet similar to what is eaten on the Paleo/caveman diet? I do have some information on that. Also if anyone could share with me what a typical daily menu would look like - that would be very helpful!

I've also read up on sauerkraut and how to make it - so enthusiastic about this! I preserve a lot of food that we grow and forage for, so this fermentation method makes total sense - just need an appropriate container and i'm good to go! One thing has struck me has been the shift in thinking i've already experienced - away from killing the bad stuff, into nurturing the good stuff I've seen it as looking at our bodies as a garden and using complimentary planting to achieve desired results.

Thanks again!
    ==....***I choose to accept responsibility and BE the change***....==

**"Doh!!" Frequently, that is the sound of my enlightenment**

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rainbowbrite For This Post:

Dawn (21st April 2012), Eram (19th April 2012), Swanette (29th April 2012)

15. Link to Post #68
    Thanks

Quote Rainbow Bright: Ok, so, cutting out carbs and sugars is key - i do have a simple working knowledge of nutrition and as a result (i know carbs are everywhere!) i'm more than a little baffled by what is a carb and what isn't! My family eats a 'healthy' diet with plenty of fresh fruits and veggies and i'd really like to know (other than the obvious potato) what veg is ok and low/no carb - bearing in mind that i'm a total newbie to this. It's things like sweet potato that are confusing me, i've read previously that these contain 'good' carbs - is there such a thing?
    I just checked online and this site is very comprehensive: http://www.gapsdiet.com/The_Diet.html

I have just read it carefully and there are some conflicts there which I don't think the book would allow. Starchy legumes like lentils and peas are very questionable for me ...at least to start for the first 2-3 months until the gut is sealed with a lining of friendly bacteria. Also, the above link refrences the allowance of a couple of hard liquors, gin and vodka, which I know digest as pure sugar ... so those are not really on the diet either. Seems like the author of the above site thinks drinking is a necessity of life and has tried to include appropriate drinks which blend with this philosophy.... I'm sure the original author of GAPS does not include these.

I personally started with the Rosedale diet... which is very strict about carbohydrates, and then added the probiotic foods such as sauerkraut, kefir and Rejuvilac after coming in contact with the GAPS information. This is more restricted than the above site would suggest. This is, I believe, more in line with what the GAPS author had in mind: http://drrosedale.com/healthplan.htm

Update on my personal progress: My partner and I have just completed our check up with Stefan Voin, our healer of choice these days. We do this occasionally as he is a long drive away, and very expensive for our budgets. He narrows his plan of treatment by dowsing with an aura-meter, followed up by treatment with a complex set up which includes radionics, crystals, LEDs, and plasma tubes. I use him because what he does works well. Anyway, he commented in our sessions that he was totally amazed that my partner and I had ZERO pathogenic gut organisms. He was amazed because he never sees this in his work, and has never seen this with us in previous sessions. He did find pathogenic organisms INside our bodies however. This is exactly what the GAPS diet predicts. The GAPS diet says that the gut will become totally healthy within 2-3 months, and that the body's immune system will then begin to clean up interior infections, pathogens, and toxins which are a result of the previously pathogenic gut situation. That is why the GAPS program takes 2 full years.
    Last edited by Dawn; 22nd April 2012 at 09:23.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

Eram (25th April 2012), Rainbowbrite (21st April 2012), Swanette (29th April 2012)

17. Link to Post #69
    Thanks

Quote I just checked online and this site is very comprehensive: http://www.gapsdiet.com/The_Diet.html

I have just read it carefully and there are some conflicts there which I don't think the book would allow. Starchy legumes like lentils and peas are very questionable for me ...at least to start for the first 2-3 months until the gut is sealed with a lining of friendly bacteria. Also, the above link refrences the allowance of a couple of hard liquors, gin and vodka, which I know digest as pure sugar ... so those are not really on the diet either. Seems like the author of the above site thinks drinking is a necessity of life and has tried to include appropriate drinks which blend with this philosophy.... I'm sure the original author of GAPS does not include these.

I personally started with the Rosedale diet... which is very strict about carbohydrates, and then added the probiotic foods such as sauerkraut, kefir and Rejuvilac after coming in contact with the GAPS information. This is more restricted than the above site would suggest. This is, I believe, more in line with what the GAPS author had in mind: http://drrosedale.com/healthplan.htm
    Hello Dawn - thank you so much for this information and for taking the time - it's cleared up a lot of confusion for me. We had the first day yesterday with no carbs or sugars and feeling good, no cravings as yet but it's very early days! Will post udates on here - my family member is going for tests during the first week in May which will include a colonoscopy :S So will see what happens there.

In my opinion zero alcohol is the only way to go with this and the way i see it is that if you're going to do this then you have to DO it At least for the first stage. I've taken on board your tip about cinnamon and it's help with dealing with sugar cravings and have stocked up. Also i'm pleased to see that the veggies grown at home are not off the cards.

Fantastic news about your partner and yourself - what great results? And it's good to get that confirmation too, thanks for sharing.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainbowbrite For This Post:

Dawn (22nd April 2012), Eram (25th April 2012)

19. Link to Post #70
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 times in 254 posts

Dawn I could kiss you!!!! Yesterday I was doing some work etherically, among which, working on my food intolerances/allergies and then I popped into PA and saw this thread.

Dr Natasha Campbell-McBride makes perfect sense. How did we as a society get so far off the mark. The Rosedale and Gap diets are almost identical to the paleo/caveman diet I had been on for about 8 months. I fell off the wagon with a thud, probably because of the amount of meat involved, as an ex vegetarian it was hard to swallow (literally). I felt great while on it though but wasn't doing any probiotic therapy. Well today, thanks to you, I am back at it.

I found this extended version of the interview you shared.

I thank you again from the bottom of my gut!!
    Carolin
    Life is what it is. How you perceive it creates your reality.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carolin For This Post:

Dawn (22nd April 2012), Eram (25th April 2012), Rainbowbrite (25th April 2012), Tigressa (26th April 2012)

21. Link to Post #71
    Thanks

Thanks Carolyn for the great report... Yes, I know what you mean about the meat. Luckily the program I started on (Rodedale diet) did not ask for a lot of protien, in fact it is somewhat restricted because the body ends up digesting it to receive sugar and therefore the amount is measured.

3.5 months after starting the diet, and 3 weeks after adding kefir: Here is something really interesting. After adding the home made Kefir and a 1/4 c of sauerkraut daily we found our appetites were totally tamed. It is interesting to me to watch all of our cravings leave... and to also watch the amount of food we eat drop dramatically. We are perhaps eating 10% - 25% of the quantity we were when we started.

Friendly Bacteria are feeding me? If the symbiotic organisms are indeed making vitamins, bio-available minerals, amino acids, and a variety of polysaccharides for our bodies, as shown in research, this would explain the dramatic reduction in our food consumption. We are simply not hungry because we are being fed by our internal garden! We find that an 8oz glass of kefir consumed in the morning (when I harvest it and feed the culture) can last all day. We experience no thought of food until about 7PM when we have a small bowl of sauerkraut and fermented vegetables. So, we are now somewhat challenged to remember to eat. If we have room for dinner and decide to eat after the sauerkraut, our portions have become truly tiny. We are currently eating dinner every 2-3 days. We do have a bit of freshly made juice and some home made Rejuvilac with Gingerbug mixed in on most days. In fact, we have purchased smaller bowls and plates so the food does not look lost on/in them. By traditional standards we are starving ourselves... but that is certainly not the experience at all.

Prior to beginning to eat this way I was hungry nearly all the time. I ate healthy snacks every 2-4 hours and felt rather 'faint' if I did not (low blood sugar?). It is likely my body was starving despite my healthy diet of superfoods and supplements. From reading some of the material I came across, it is likely I was feeding the pathogenic bacteria with these foods, and they were not suited to share the food with my body and enhance my health.

I am letting go of my mental ideas of what is proper... my former understanding of nourishment simply does not apply at this time. What an interesting and surprising adventure this is.
    Last edited by Dawn; 22nd April 2012 at 18:20.

22. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

Calz (24th April 2012), Carolin (23rd April 2012), conk (23rd April 2012), Dennis Leahy (24th April 2012), Eram (25th April 2012), genevieve (12th April 2013), joamarks (14th November 2012), kanishk (23rd April 2012), meat suit (10th July 2012), Rainbowbrite (23rd April 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013), ThePythonicCow (22nd April 2012), Tigressa (2nd May 2012)

23. Link to Post #72
    United States Avalon Member xbusymom's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 times in 396 posts

now i am confused... i thought that you are too acidic when you are sick, and you needed to over-alkaline for rebalancing;

and there are others subscribing to Bob Beck's thing of electrifying the blood supply (which alkalines to destroy the bad little buggers)...

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xbusymom For This Post:

Eram (25th April 2012), Rainbowbrite (25th April 2012)

25. Link to Post #73
    Thanks

Quote xbusymom: now i am confused... i thought that you are too acidic when you are sick, and you needed to over-alkaline for rebalancing;

and there are others subscribing to Bob Beck's thing of electrifying the blood supply (which alkalines to destroy the bad little buggers)...
    I know EXACTLY how you feel! I can't tell you which camp to land in ... But I can say that I worked to alkalize myself for many years, even to the point of getting a very expensive Kangen Water processor, eating only raw vegetables and juices, and using special salts (such as baking soda) in order to alkalize. All of this did not change my health one wit.

I am also VERY familiar with the Beck protocol. It works by electrically charging the blood, which kills parasites that use it as a highway to get from place to place within the body. My partner and I used to make and sell Beck devices (but are changing the design of our product so aren't in the moment). I know the Beck protocol works, but I personally did it daily for about 6 weeks with no visible change. I still think it works... I probably needed to have done it longer.

However, when I began to follow the G.A.P.S. protocol I had immediate and deep changes in my health. Long standing issues have changed for me since then. Things I thought were due to aging, such as swollen ankles, skin tags, and thickened calluses on the liver channel at the bottoms of my feet... have reversed totally. In addition, my dependence on food has decreased. I also had digestive issues that were long standing. I had developed IBS, which is very limiting because I had to think about where the nearest bathroom was everywhere I went. Some days I could not really leave the house. I was also overweight, and no amount of exercise, calorie change, liver cleanse, raw food diet, alkalizing or any of the many other things I knew about seemed to help. This does not mean that this is YOUR solution. It is simply my experience.

Take the time to educate yourself about this important information. It is changing many lives, and repairing serious health ailments for many people. And it is not expensive.

The Beck protocol is based on KILLING parasites. The alkalizing protocol is based on making your body an unfriendly environment for pathogens. But neither of these protocols recognize that working with natural and healthy symbiotic organisms that have been our friends for millions of years takes care of almost everything. Make friends with your internal garden, plant friendly symbiotic organisms in it, feed and water them daily. Then watch your health bloom as they grow healthy and strong and defend your body for you.

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

Calz (24th April 2012), conk (24th April 2012), Eram (25th April 2012), Hervé (21st September 2012), meat suit (10th July 2012), Rainbowbrite (24th April 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013), seko (29th April 2012), ThePythonicCow (26th April 2012)

27. Link to Post #74
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,038 times in 1,437 posts

Hi everyone,

We have started to implement the diet from last Monday.

We're taking it step by step and our first step is probably the hardest in my mind.
    Cutting away all sugar products.

We've bought Stevia and will buy the ingredients for chocolate and cookies and make them ourselves from now on. We do this especially for the kids who will have a hard time at school if we don't give them something sweet for lunch break. All the other kids get chocolate etc. to school.

Cutting away sugar is getting me pretty nervous to be honest.
    Some time ago I let go of drinking and it was very easy to do (strangely), but this sugar thing ... I have butterflies in my stomach ever since we made the decision. It feels like a good decision though and I'm looking forward to all the benefits of having a healthy gut flora and fauna.
    Last edited by Eram; 25th April 2012 at 11:24.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eram For This Post:

Dawn (3rd May 2012), mab777 (25th April 2012), Rainbowbrite (25th April 2012)

29. Link to Post #75
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Wakytweaky (here)
    Hi everyone,

We're taking it step by step and our first step is probably the hardest in my mind.

We've bought Stevia and will buy the ingredients for chocolate and cookies and make them ourselves from now on. We do this especially for the kids who will have a hard time at school if we don't give them something sweet for lunch break. All the other kids get chocolate etc. to school.

Some time ago I let go of drinking and it was very easy to do (strangely), but this sugar thing ... I have butterflies in my stomach ever since we made the decision. It feels like a good decision though and I'm looking forward to all the benefits of having a healthy gut flora and fauna.
    Hi Wakeytweaky!

Well done you! Myself and the family member i'm doing it with are just coming to the end of our first week. I'm in reasonable health - but i feel so much better already, i am having withdrawl and cravings for sugar and carbs but am working through them. Also i've felt more sleepy, earlier - which i think is a good thing as i do tend to be a night owl... Generally i feel energised! My family member has potentially serious health issues in the gut (see earlier post) - and during the initial transition experienced some nasty stomach bug type symptoms - that cleared up within 48 hours though. Although it's very early days we both feel better for the change.

One great plus has been trying different food - never had Paneer before and it's amazing! As far as sugar craving - cinnamon definately helps. Also we're introducing the probiotics slowly, i've been using homemade live yogurt as that's what i had to hand and am 24 hours into starting my sauerkraut ferment. Am now looking into keffir too.

Good luck! And please do share your experience and tips!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainbowbrite For This Post:

Dawn (3rd May 2012), Eram (25th April 2012)

31. Link to Post #76
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rainbowbrite (here)
    Quote Posted by Wakytweaky (here)
    Hi everyone,

Hi Wakeytweaky!

Well done you! Myself and the family member i'm doing it with are just coming to the end of our first week. I'm in reasonable health - but i feel so much better already, i am having withdrawl and cravings for sugar and carbs but am working through them. Also i've felt more sleepy, earlier - which i think is a good thing as i do tend to be a night owl... Generally i feel energised! My family member has potentially serious health issues in the gut (see earlier post) - and during the initial transition experienced some nasty stomach bug type symptoms - that cleared up within 48 hours though. Although it's very early days we both feel better for the change.

One great plus has been trying different food - never had Paneer before and it's amazing! As far as sugar craving - cinnamon definately helps. Also we're introducing the probiotics slowly, i've been using homemade live yogurt as that's what i had to hand and am 24 hours into starting my sauerkraut ferment. Am now looking into keffir too.

Good luck! And please do share your experience and tips!
    It's so nice to know I'm not starting this alone. Today is day four and the herxheimer reaction is kicking my butt. I'm exhausted, achy, and freezing, which could be self induced since I've continued taking probiotics. Still looking for kefir grains but I have to say the store bought is absolutely delicious.....best fruit smoothy ever!

Good luck to all

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carolin For This Post:

Dawn (3rd May 2012), Eram (25th April 2012), Rainbowbrite (25th April 2012)

33. Link to Post #77
    United States Avalon Member cloud9's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,796 times in 663 posts

I want to say thank you to Dawn and everybody else for the wonderful information shared here.

I've had stomach problems since at least 20 years ago, mostly acid reflux and gas after eating and it didn't matter what I ate. I've been juicing, having much more vegetables and increasing the amount of raw food, also I started drinking sodium bicarbonate and apple cider vinegar since at least 3 years ago and it has helped me a lot but I'm not cured; acid reflux is gone but I still get bloated after eating pretty much anything, even if it's just vegetables juice.

One other thing that bothers me is that even though I'm not overweight I've always had at least 10 extra pounds and I'm a very petite woman, I've always been very careful with what I eat and the portion size but I have never been able to shed the extra weight.

I already ordered kefir and I'm going to start having fermented foods as the information of the thread recommends, it makes total sense to me and I got the feeling this is what I have been looking for my whole life.

My mom used to give us milk kefir (we call it kumis) when we were little and we hated it but hey, I'm an old lady now so I'm willing to love it from now on.

Thank you again and I also will be sharing my experience here so others benefit from it.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cloud9 For This Post:

Carolin (25th April 2012), Dawn (3rd May 2012), Eram (25th April 2012), Rainbowbrite (25th April 2012)

35. Link to Post #78
    Thanks

Thank you for posting this (for me, timely) thread. I ordered the book and went to the doctor next day with my son. He is being diagnosed with low level autism at the moment. My brilliant Doctor was overwhelmingly positive about this book and said she was about to ask me to buy it.

Currently my son is on Sue Dengates 'Fed Up' diet and has responded with incredible success to that so far. I look forward to seeing him 'unthaw' further still.
    Thank you all for contributing.

Regards, Tigressa.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tigressa For This Post:

Carolin (26th April 2012), Dawn (3rd May 2012), Eram (26th April 2012), Rainbowbrite (27th April 2012)

37. Link to Post #79
    Thanks

Hi everyone,

The GAPS Diet has a support group at Yahoo Groups......seems very active. Here is the link http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/GAPSdiet/

P.S.
    I WANT CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carolin For This Post:

Dawn (3rd May 2012), Eram (28th April 2012), Rainbowbrite (29th April 2012)

39. Link to Post #80
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,038 times in 1,437 posts

Quote Posted by Carolin (here)
    Hi everyone,

The GAPS Diet has a support group at Yahoo Groups......seems very active. Here is the link http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/GAPSdiet/

P.S.
    I WANT CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eram For This Post:

Carolin (29th April 2012), Dawn (3rd May 2012), Rainbowbrite (29th April 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 4 14 28 LastLast