+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1 5 15 28 LastLast

Thread: The gut of most disease... NOT what you think!

1. Link to Post #81
    United States Moderator Marianne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,392 times in 2,258 posts

Default Re: The gut of most disease... NOT what you think!

Interesting blog here. It has a recipe for Cabbage Cider (fermented).
    http://jana-sovereignstate.blogspot....age-cider.html

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Marianne For This Post:

conk (3rd May 2012), Dawn (3rd May 2012), Eram (5th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (4th May 2012), RunningDeer (2nd May 2012)

3. Link to Post #82
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 times in 1,149 posts

Thanks Marianne, I just read the recipe at the link you provided... There is a wonderful quote there that really stood out and I'm posting it here.

from: http://jana-sovereignstate.blogspot....age-cider.html
    Quote You get a permanent bliss buzz in the gut courtesy of bacterial intelligence, the GI tract reconstructs and there is a rebooting of the enteric brain and GI nerves. There is a significant joy vibration in guts from consuming the orange juice-cabbage cider/coleslaw combo. The intestinal tract literally en-joys it, making one aware that the biochemistry of joy starts with the health and well-being of the microbes in the soil and gut. Cup half full (optimism) and the elevation of hope and potential may actually be gifted to us by the happiness of our bacteria, through the increase in energy and bacterial intelligence chemicals.
    Here's an update on me and my experiences this week:

1. I did make home made Kimchee and tasted it after 3 days of fermenting as recommended. Well, all I can say about this is that it was one of the more 'Gawd-awful' experiences of my life. The experience was exactly like eating rotten vegetables (UGH!!!). Still, ever hopeful, I have bottled it and refrigerated it to see if a time in the refrigerator will create some further fermentation which might correct the taste and stench. Actually I do not have the serious belief that it will get better, but I am still doing what the recipe suggested. By the way, the recipe SAID to taste it at the 3 day mark! What was the author thinking?!?

Meanwhile, my supply of kefir grains is doubling every 2 weeks as foretold in the literature about it so I have been gifting it to others. Pretty soon I will be advertising it on Craigslist to find new homes for the increasing supply (LOL). I have a true craving for kefir ... I LOVE the stuff, but not everyone I offer it to does.

My sauerkraut will not be ready for another couple of weeks.

I am so GLAD to see others trying this and sharing their experiences!
    Last edited by Dawn; 5th May 2012 at 20:03.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

conk (4th May 2012), Dennis Leahy (5th May 2012), DoubleHelix (24th September 2012), Eram (5th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (4th May 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013)

5. Link to Post #83
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

I am being bombarded with a confluence of events, 'coincidences', articles, books, etc. that seem to be screaming "listen to Dawn's advice". It seems the universe lays it all right out in front of us. We simple have to recognize the serendipitous moments and act on them. In a far corner of my heart I've know this for some time, but believed my elementary practices were covering all the bases. I take regular probiotic supplements, but now learn that commercial pills don't really provide the body what it needs.

Source has now slapped me hard, 'wake up pea-head and recognize the signs'. Thanks so much for starting this great thread Dawn, and for everyone elses contribution. My focus has been honed and sharpened.

I mentioned earlier about fecal transplants. Now, two different newsletters have mentioned this. Not just simple coincidence. Not that I'm desperate enough for a poo enema just yet, but it does speak volumes about the critical need for healthy flora in the gut. Dr. David Williams and Dr. Bruce West have both written about miracles observed after fecal transplants.

Also interesting in Dr. Williams' letter was the fact that up to 55% of fecal matter is bacteria. 17% is fiber, with the rest being made up of undigested food residue, water, mineral salts, and cells shed from intestinal walls. And of course that piece of undigested corn. Inadequate amounts of bacteria make it difficult to form a normal stool. This knowledge should be given to all patients suffering from Chrones', IBS, constipation, diarrea, etc. Sadly doctors just want to shut down the stomach's proton pump and deprive the digestion of critical digestive acid. Anti-acids and PPIs are a pitiful prescription from a professional! Will they ever learn?

Thanks again!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Dawn (5th May 2012), Eram (5th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (5th May 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013)

7. Link to Post #84
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,038 times in 1,437 posts

Quote Posted by Dawn (here)
    1. I did make home made Kimchee and tasted it after 3 days of fermenting as recommended. Well, all I can say about this is that it was one of the more 'Gawd-awful' experiences of my life. The experience was exactly like eating rotten vegetables (UGH!!!). Still, ever hopeful, I have bottled it and refrigerated it to see if a time in the refrigerator will create some further fermentation which might correct the taste and stench. Actually I do not have the serious belief that it will get better, but I am still doing what the recipe suggested. By the way, the recipe SAID to taste it at the 3 day mark! What was the author thinking?!?

Maybe the author has taste and smell deficiency.
    I feel sorry for you Dawn, but at the same time... it's soo funny!

Well:
    We're 1,5 week without sugar now and it has been easier as expected, but still it's hard sometimes.
    Funny thing is, that my liver is not so sensitive any more. It used to be and I didn't understand why. I still don't really, but now I stopped using sugar the sensitivity is gone.
    Our energy levels are more steady as well. that's nice!

I just edited a word I misspelled in the quote chosen... Dawn-moderator
    Last edited by Dawn; 5th May 2012 at 20:05.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eram For This Post:

Dawn (13th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (5th May 2012)

9. Link to Post #85
    England Avalon Member Connecting with Sauce's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 times in 354 posts

I was on green med info and looking at turmeric and discovered one article about fermented turmeric

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/substanc...eric-fermented

Forwarded it to my wife... then she found this...

http://www.okinawab2b.jp/fermented%20turmeric.pdf

Maybe an interesting read... We are looking into it now... and I haven't fully read it, but thought I'd share it here...
    John Shore

CWSauce

My new website
    www.HealingShores.com

Some testimonials of my distant healing

Some amazing threads worth checking out to get health back on track, stay balanced and thrive..

Gall Bladder AND Liver flushing
    Taking the Piss Your Own Perfect Medicine

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Connecting with Sauce For This Post:

21CC (11th July 2012), Dawn (13th May 2012), Eram (6th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (6th May 2012)

11. Link to Post #86
    Thanks

Additionally...

We have Water kefir... and it LOVES black Strap Molasses and Brown sugar... and grows visably overnight... so much so we will be over run by it if we do too much black strap and brown sugar...
    John Shore

CWSauce

My new website
    www.HealingShores.com

Some amazing threads worth checking out to get health back on track, stay balanced and thrive..

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Connecting with Sauce For This Post:

Dawn (13th May 2012), Eram (6th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (6th May 2012)

13. Link to Post #87
    Great Britain Avalon Member Rainbowbrite's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi everyone! It's great hearing how everyone is doing, everyone has contributed such good info here, thank you! Dawn, i really hope your kimchee works out - rotten veggies = yuk in my book

I'm now about 2 weeks in; totally grain, carb and sugar free... It's going really well, i feel i've overcome issues around my perception of what a plate of food should look like and i'm getting my head around the practicalities of shopping for this too. I've been making my own nut butters (amongst many other things) as they are so expensive to buy, they really are cheaper when you DIY. One advantage is being able to make whatever quantity you like, so i've been making in small quantities that fit with appetites, need and budget. I don't have an all singing and dancing food processor so have been using my hand mincer and mortar and pestle for this - great fun and my youngest loves getting involved! My kefir is 'getting there' the culture is going through it's 3rd ferment as i type and i noticed a change in taste from 1st to 2nd ferment - very excited about this next one!!

I'm still experiencing withdrawal and die off symptoms, but these are not as severe as i had anticipated most of the time and i can't sing the praises of cinnamon enough - i've honestly found it helps with sugar cravings. I've also been drinking nettle tea a fair bit too.

Today i feel headachey and bloated - not gassy, more like water retention, but to be honest i don't know if this is due to diet, air pressure changes, the full moon or PMT - perhaps all four lol! I'm experiencing more carb craving than sugar cravings now too, which is interesting.

My family member reports that things are more regular, and are less painful in the abdomen - also less gas. Overall more comfortable - though it's still very early days. We're both really heartend by these small improvements They are great news as it's first relief of any kind in a long time! More tests are happening this month and i'll share any findings that will be of use here. The first test (the camera) was clear, this looked at the lower bowel, left hand side to be precise. The next tests are going to look deeper :S

Other random observations: I have lost weight - 4 1/2 lb since starting. I can report that energy levels are overall better. My skin has improved, it's clearer. I also feel 'cleaner', both on an energetical and physical level - i can't really explain that in any other words... But it's a very welcome addition to my mental list of benefits!
    ==....***I choose to accept responsibility and BE the change***....==

**"Doh!!" Frequently, that is the sound of my enlightenment**

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rainbowbrite For This Post:

Dawn (13th May 2012), Eram (6th May 2012), Limor Wolf (9th September 2012)

15. Link to Post #88
    Great Britain Avalon Member Rainbowbrite's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Connecting with Sauce (here)
    Additionally...

We have Water kefir... and it LOVES black Strap Molasses and Brown sugar... and grows visably overnight... so much so we will be over run by it if we do too much black strap and brown sugar...
    Thanks for this - i've just been looking into water kefir today! Great timing! Do you use it in the same way?

Also i'll have a good look at the fermented turmeric link you posted, i adore turmeric and the health benefits (as we all know i'm sure) are huge. I'm very interested in how fermentation effects this wonderful spice.

Thanks for sharing!
    ==....***I choose to accept responsibility and BE the change***....==

**"Doh!!" Frequently, that is the sound of my enlightenment**

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainbowbrite For This Post:

Dawn (13th May 2012), Eram (6th May 2012)

17. Link to Post #89
    United States Avalon Member cloud9's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,796 times in 663 posts

Quote Posted by tyler durden (here)
    haha

Yeah i'm out of this place for good in 4 months so decent containers are at a premium in my apartment too! Nice to be gifted the kimchi alright. It's not the first time its happened either. From my experience, once a nice old Korean lady gets wind of the fact you like kimchi she jumps at the chance to share some with you. That's probably the thing that's moved me the most during my time here - this culture of sharing that they have. Many's the time ive seen a young student i've taught who has a bar of chocolate or candy or whatever, and without fail the kid offers a piece to their surrounding friends before even thinking of taking a bite for themselves. And even if the kid is only left with one piece for themselves like the rest have, their attidude is "well, sure isnt that enough?" I never get tired of seeing it.

Oh I forget to mention that when using salt to make the kimchi or sauerkraut, i'd highly recommend using a good quality salt like himalayan rock salt as opposed to that disgusting refined table salt. No point cutting corners.

Have fun making it
    I'd like to try kimchi but I'm afraid of the flavor... can you please tell me if it's hot? Like in really hot... I can't stand hot foods and I have seen some videos of how to make it and I see the absurd amount of red pepper they use... what would it be the taste of it? Can you compare it with something else to get an idea?

I've been drinking water kefir and I like the taste of it and getting ready to try milk kefir. My mother used to give it to us when we were little children and at that time I didn't like much but I don't remember it as being awful, just a little too strong so it was difficult to drink a whole glass of it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by cloud9; 6th May 2012 at 20:57.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cloud9 For This Post:

Dawn (13th May 2012), Eram (8th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (7th May 2012)

19. Link to Post #90
    Thanks

Quote Cloud9: I've been drinking water kefir and I like the taste of it and getting ready to try milk kefir. My mother used to give it to us when we were little children and at that time I didn't like much but I don't remember it as being awful, just a little too strong so it was difficult to drink a whole glass of it.
    Thanks in advance.

I'd like to try kimchi but I'm afraid of the flavor... can you please tell me if it's hot? Like in really hot... I can't stand hot foods and I have seen some videos of how to make it and I see the absurd amount of red pepper they use... what would it be the taste of it? Can you compare it with something else to get an idea?
    Hi Cloud9, I'll try to answer you as best as I can. First, I'd like to say that my first home made kimchee attempt has been continuing to ferment in its juices in the refrigerator (per the recipe) for an additional 14 days. This is the same stuff that I tasted at the 3 day mark and commented that it was a 'Gawd awful' experience. Well, strangely 14 days later it is now DELICIOUS! What a SURPRISE! It is much better than the commercial version I bought from my local health food store (which was so very expensive.)

So... is kimchee hot? It certainly has a LOT of pepper in it and seems like it would be. However peppers are extremely alkaline, and when combined with the lactic acid created in fermentation, they're barely spicy. In fact 'heat' from peppers is not the most over riding flavor of kimchee at all. It is like eating sauerkraut with other flavors running through it. And those 'other flavors' depend on the recipe. In the one I made, garlic figures as the most noticeable second flavor, beyond the tart piquant taste of lactic acid. There is a subtle mild heat... but it is definitely NOT overwhelming... in fact it is VERY subtle. Fermentation changes many things about the vegetables used.

When you do start to use milk kefir, Dr. Campbell-McBride recommends that you begin with 1 teaspoon and see if your body has a die off reaction before you raise the amount. You might not like it at first, but if your body is like mine, you might just develop a craving for the stuff and find you can't get enough. Kefir is my FAVORITE food at this point and I try not to drink more than 3-4 cups daily so I'll have room to eat other things.

When I added kefir, sauerkraut, whey, and live fermented pickles to my diet, the flavors in my meals became exciting and alive. My food seems so delicious now! Sweet flavors are provided by cinnamon teas, nuts, and by 1/2 cup of fresh berries smothered in home made fermented cream (which the diet allows after the first month or 2). If you are still craving sweet things it may be too early to think of adding 1/2 cup of berries to your diet. I did not add these in until the end of the third month. Fermented kefir cream provides essential pre-digested fatty acids and also slows down the absorption of sugar from the berries so that there are no blood sugar spikes.
    Last edited by Dawn; 13th May 2012 at 21:34.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

DoubleHelix (24th September 2012), Eram (16th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (13th May 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013), seko (10th July 2012), ThePythonicCow (16th May 2012)

21. Link to Post #91
    Thanks

Connection with Sauce. Thanks for the information on fermenting curcumin. It should be really easy to add turmeric root to home made sauerkraut, fermented vegetables, or kimchee. What a great idea! I've been making liposomal vitamin C ascorbate with curcumin to help the body absorb this valuable tumeric extract... but of course fermentation would allow the micro-life forms to convert it into a usable form for our bodies. I added a few turmeric roots as I made my first batches of fermented vegetables. Now I wish I'd added more... much more! I now have 15 quarts of home made fermented vegetables in various forms to eat before I can make new batches with larger amounts of turmeric roots.

Just in case someone here would like the info on the liposomal form (which you can make at home) here's a link for it: http://www.cancercompass.com/message...ll,59374,0.htm
    Last edited by Dawn; 13th May 2012 at 21:14.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

conk (15th May 2012), Eram (16th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (13th May 2012)

23. Link to Post #92
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,348 times in 21,474 posts

Just in case someone here would like the info on the liposomal form (which you can make at home) here's a link for it: http://www.cancercompass.com/message...ll,59374,0.htm
    Every liposomal Vitamin C recipe I've read in the last year or two has this same paragraph:
    ***What follows is often the most difficult part of the process for those new to making homemade liposomals. While stirring the vitamin C/distilled water solution very slowly pour/dribble the dissolved bicarbonate of soda/water mixture into the Vitamin C/distilled water solution. (pour soda solution slowly as the resulting mixture will bubble. By pouring slowly and constantly stirring Vitamin C solution you will be able to mix the two with out bubbling over)
    It amuses me . Get a bigger jar, and you can pour them together as fast as you like.

When I added kefir, sauerkraut, whey, and live fermented pickles to my diet, ...
    Awesome ... gives us reforming junk food-holics something to shoot for. You must have one happy gut.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Dawn (17th May 2012), Eram (16th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (18th May 2012)

25. Link to Post #93
    Ireland Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Going beyond the modern beliefs about health..Dr. Bruce Lipton. A must see for anyone viewing this thread in my opinion.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to UnrealDreams For This Post:

Dawn (19th May 2012), Eram (16th May 2012), genevieve (12th April 2013), Rainbowbrite (18th May 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013)

27. Link to Post #94
    Thanks

This is worth a listen... Especially for those who prefer listening to their information...

Sandor Katz – The Art of Fermentation – May 21, 2012
    http://www.oneradionetwork.com/diet-...n-may-21-2012/
    John Shore

CWSauce

My new website
    www.HealingShores.com

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Connecting with Sauce For This Post:

Dawn (4th September 2012), Eram (25th May 2012), genevieve (12th April 2013), Rainbowbrite (28th May 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013)

29. Link to Post #95
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,038 times in 1,437 posts

Here is a photo of our first amount of home-made Kefir.
    In the glass is the first load that is ready for consumption. 1 of 2 glasses full.
    In the jar is the new load of milk and kefir grains.
    With a farm at 200 yards who sells raw organic milk this is going to be heaven.

about the sugar...
    I still have sugar cravings, but they are lessening more and more.
    Last edited by Eram; 30th May 2012 at 10:09.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eram For This Post:

Dawn (4th September 2012), Rainbowbrite (28th May 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013)

31. Link to Post #96
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,533 times in 475 posts

I got 2 teaspoon of kefir, and fermented 1 teaspoon of it with 1 cup of milk and other one with 1/2 liters of milk. After 1 day both specimens are looking like yogurt. After filtering it there was not a grainy precipitate, it is creamy, like yogurt. Does that milk got fermented because of lactic acid spores or kefir? How should I differentiate between kefir and yogurt? How does kefir taste like ? what are its other characteristics ..

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishk For This Post:

Dawn (4th September 2012), Eram (10th July 2012)

33. Link to Post #97
    Thanks

i know this not straight to the topic but i consider this a must:

http://www.westonaprice.org/cancer/a...oach-to-cancer

cheers

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to taurad For This Post:

Dawn (4th September 2012), Eram (10th July 2012), Flash (10th July 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013)

35. Link to Post #98
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

kombucha is one simple way of restoration of flora to the gut. Costs next to nothing if you make it yourself.

In the old days fermented foods was a critical aspect of survival. Many things were fermented besides sourkraut. Some fermenting processes only preserved foods for 6 weeks or so... so when the kale and chard came in you could keep it for that long. I had a great book on it a few weeks ago and have returned it to the library for renewal as it was an interlibrary loan, so hoping to get it back soon. Cant remember the title but something like How to preseve food without canning, drying or freezing... of course it came from a Brigham Young Univeristy Library...(Mormon) If there is anything to learn about food storage go to the Mormons...

Sourkraut in the old days was not necessarily considered a healthfood but a survival tactic. You can ferment most veggies.
    Primal Defense is a good product for restoration of gut flora, It contains earth microbes.. a much greater selection than typical probiotic supplements. Some people when they take it go though a raucious time as the floras compete with each other and new types of colonies are established. It is one of the backbone ingredients of Jordon Rubin's protocols who cured his relentless irritable bowel disease with it and other supplements and dietary regimen.

http://www.amazon.com/Restoring-Your...s=jordan+rubin

Mercola is sorrily way behind the times on revealing to the people about fermented foods and gut flora building.... but then he has had a lot of conventional training to overcome. Look to Anne Wigmore. She's been telling the story for over 50 years.... she was all about fermented foods.... a part of her program that had mostly been ignored by health advocates and not actively promoted as it should have been.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Dawn (4th September 2012), DoubleHelix (24th September 2012), Eram (10th July 2012), Flash (10th July 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013)

37. Link to Post #99
    Denmark Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,455 times in 314 posts

Good thread, thanks...

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delfine For This Post:

Dawn (4th September 2012), DoubleHelix (24th September 2012), Eram (10th July 2012)

39. Link to Post #100
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,975 times in 462 posts

Quote Posted by Arrowwind (here)
    In the old days fermented foods was a critical aspect of survival. Many things were fermented besides sourkraut. Some fermenting processes only preserved foods for 6 weeks or so... so when the kale and chard came in you could keep it for that long.
    You have to watch this, while fermented foods are a great way to preserve, they do have a use by date. Always use your sense of smell

Quote Posted by Arrowwind (here)
    I had a great book on it a few weeks ago and have returned it to the library for renewal as it was an interlibrary loan, so hoping to get it back soon. Cant remember the title but something like How to preseve food without canning, drying or freezing... of course it came from a Brigham Young Univeristy Library...
    Is this the book?

http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstor...ning:paperback

40. The Following User Says Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

Eram (10th July 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1 5 15 28 LastLast