+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 1 8 18 28 LastLast

Thread: The gut of most disease... NOT what you think!

1. Link to Post #141
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,346 times in 21,472 posts

Default Re: The gut of most disease... NOT what you think!

Quote Posted by Swan (here)
    A question to Dawn: My son doesn´t tolerate milk very well. Will kefir made from milk be OK? Or should I try a vegan alternative?
    I'm not Dawn ... but I would expect that Kefir would be easier for most people to digest than milk.

What usually causes problems for people digesting milk is the sugar in milk, known as lactose.

Fermenting the milk with kefir grains consumes most of the lactose.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Eram (10th September 2012), Swan (10th September 2012)

3. Link to Post #142
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 times in 436 posts

More wheat issues:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_1...n-doctor-says/

"modern wheat a perfect chronic poison doctor says" article plus video

snip
    Quote Davis said that the wheat we eat these days isn't the wheat your grandma had: "It's an 18-inch tall plant created by genetic research in the '60s and '70s," he said on "CBS This Morning." "This thing has many new features nobody told you about, such as there's a new protein in this thing called gliadin. It's not gluten. I'm not addressing people with gluten sensitivities and celiac disease. I'm talking about everybody else because everybody else is susceptible to the gliadin protein that is an opiate. This thing binds into the opiate receptors in your brain and in most people stimulates appetite, such that we consume 440 more calories per day, 365 days per year."

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to eileenrose For This Post:

Arrowwind (10th September 2012), Caren (20th September 2012), Dawn (21st September 2013), Eram (10th September 2012), TargeT (10th September 2012), ThePythonicCow (10th September 2012)

5. Link to Post #143
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,648 times in 1,409 posts

On the Kefir PDF it says you can use any animals milk, raw or pasteurized, but will it work with UHT milk ?

I'm going to be using goat milk when I get some grains as I'm intolerant to cow milk, just hope I can stomach it, what I can swallow or keep down has been an ongoing problem since infancy.

(mother issues probably :-( )

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Post:

Dawn (21st September 2013), Eram (10th September 2012)

7. Link to Post #144
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Spiral (here)
    On the Kefir PDF it says you can use any animals milk, raw or pasteurized, but will it work with UHT milk ?
    I suppose it would work with ultra-high-temperature (UHT) processed milk, as the Kefir likely depends on the lactose ... but who in god's green earth would want to drink that crap? Its fats and other nutrients have been seriously damaged, such that it is no longer fit for supporting life. That's why it has such a long shelf life.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Dawn (21st September 2013), Eram (10th September 2012), Spiral (10th September 2012), TargeT (10th September 2012)

9. Link to Post #145
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,648 times in 1,409 posts

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    I suppose it would work with ultra-high-temperature (UHT) processed milk, as the Kefir likely depends on the lactose ... but who in god's green earth would want to drink that crap? Its fats and other nutrients have been seriously damaged, such that it is no longer fit for supporting life. That's why it has such a long shelf life.
    I don't use milk as a rule, here in France its nearly all UHT ! I'll have to look round, somewhere will have the raw stuff .

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Post:

11. Link to Post #146
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,580 times in 5,817 posts

After a quick gloogle search (actually, it was IXQuick), here are a few sources for info on making almond milk kefir:

http://lindawagner.net/blog/2012/03/...nd-milk-kefir/

http://www.netplaces.com/raw-food-re...milk-kefir.htm

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-kefir-no...d-8201285.html

By the way, (the last article mentiones hemp "milk"), I would advise anyone to try the mildest milk substitutes first (almond and rice), soy is a whole topic unto itself (I'm now avoiding soy milk), and hemp milk is an acquired taste - one that I have not yet acquired. I really want to like hemp milk, but so far, only the chocolate one covers-up the taste adequately. Almond and Rice milk probably make thinner kefir than animal milk, and if the texture is just too thin, maybe a natural thickening agent (carageenan? arrowroot powder? or something else?) could thicken it.

Dennis

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

13. Link to Post #147
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    Yet another vastly superior method of helping the body heal itself. It joins the list of UV light therapy, IV therapy, oxygenation, ozone injections, hydrogen peroxide, simple sunlight, UV blood irradiation, super nutrients, energy medicine, etc. that are largely ignored and even ridiculed by allopathic medicine. Mother Nature is not happy.
    Yes, this method is much more acceptible because there is some, at least a little control as to what is taken in... still. remember, there are hundreds, if not thousands of microbes in stool that cannot be idenitifed by labs for they have not the capacity to do so. Anyone of these microbes can mutate under the influence of diet or drug use and percularities of individual physical terrain. Its my personal belief that many cancers are results of mutations of these microbes, as reflected in Rifes research, as well as others. How a microbe will behave in one terrain could be way different within another terrain. I suspect this procedure may not be without risk. Who is tracking what happens to these implanted microbes 1 year, 2 years and 5 years down the line within each new host? Is the disease picture of the individual changing and if so in just what ways? To me, every decline that results from there in, its cause may be suspect and related to the implantation.

Inserting microbes may be the allopathic response to dealing with a situation that they have not even tried to resolve with diets of fermented foods, komucha and keifer. Id like to know if these doctors doing these procedures are actually trying this first. I would like to see that these diet modifications have been tried and ruled out and proven not effective before such a radical treatment as fecal implants are attempted.

Just my offhand impression.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Yogurt doesnt make with ultra pasturized milk, so I suspect perhaps not with keifer also. Life begets life. Ultra pasturized milk is fully dead.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

conk (10th September 2012), Dawn (21st September 2013), Dennis Leahy (10th September 2012), Eram (10th September 2012)

15. Link to Post #148
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I don't use milk as a rule, here in France its nearly all UHT !
    Good grief !

I might suggest the wine instead .

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Arrowwind (here)
    Yogurt doesnt make with ultra pasteurized milk, so I suspect perhaps not with keifer also. Life begets life. Ultra pasteurized milk is fully dead.
    Aha - likely so.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Dawn (21st September 2013), Dennis Leahy (10th September 2012), Eram (10th September 2012)

17. Link to Post #149
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

This is somewhat topical as it relates to digestion. From The Dark Side of Wheat, by Sayer Ji.

WHEAT: AN EXCEPTIONALLY UNWHOLESOME GRAIN.
    Wheat presents a special case insofar as wild and selective breeding has produced variations which include up to 6 sets of chromosomes (3x the human genome worth!) capable of generating a massive number of proteins each with a distinct potentiality for antigenicity. Common bread wheat (Triticum aestivum), for instance, has over 23,788 proteins cataloged thus far. In fact, the genome for common bread wheat is actually 6.5 times larger than that of the human genome!
    With up to a 50% increase in gluten content of some varieties of wheat, it is amazing that we continue to consider “glue-eating” a normal behavior, whereas wheat-avoidance is left to the “celiac” who is still perceived by the majority of health care practitioners as mounting a “freak” reaction to the consumption of something intrinsically wholesome.
    Thankfully we don’t need to rely on our intuition, or even (not so) common sense to draw conclusions about the inherently unhealthy nature of wheat. A wide range of investigation has occurred over the past decade revealing the problem with the alcohol soluble protein component of wheat known as gliadin, the glycoprotein known as lectin (Wheat Germ Agglutinin), the exorphin known as gliadomorphin, and the excitotoxic potentials of high levels of aspartic and glutamic acid found in wheat. Add to these the anti-nutrients found in grains such as phytates, enzyme inhibitors, etc. and you have a substance which we may more appropriately consider the farthest thing from wholesome.
    The remainder of this article will demonstrate the following adverse effects of wheat on both celiac and non-celiac populations: 1) wheat causes damage to the intestines 2) wheat causes intestinal permeability 3) wheat has pharmacologically active properties 4) wheat causes damage that is “out of the intestine” affecting distant organs 5) wheat induces molecular mimicry 6) wheat contains high concentrations of excitoxins.
    1) WHEAT GLIADIN CREATES IMMUNE MEDIATED DAMAGE TO THE INTESTINES
    Gliadin is classified as a prolamin, which is a wheat storage protein high in the amino acids proline and glutamine and soluble in strong alcohol solutions. Gliadin, once deamidated by the enzyme Tissue Transglutaminase, is considered the primary epitope for T-cell activation and subsequent autoimmune destruction of intestinal villi. Yet gliadin does not need to activate an autoimmune response, e.g. Celiac disease, in order to have a deleterious effect on intestinal tissue.
    In a study published in GUT in 2007 a group of researchers asked the question: “Is gliadin really safe for non-coeliac individuals?” In order to test the hypothesis that an innate immune response to gliadin is common in patients with celiac disease and without celiac disease, intestinal biopsy cultures were taken from both groups and challenged with crude gliadin, the gliadin synthetic 19-mer (19 amino acid long gliadin peptide) and 33-mer deamidated peptides. Results showed that all patients with or without Celiac disease when challenged with the various forms of gliadin produced an interleukin-15-mediated response. The researchers concluded:
    “The data obtained in this pilot study supports the hypothesis that gluten elicits its harmful effect, throughout an IL15 innate immune response, on all individuals [my italics].”
    The primary difference between the two groups is that the celiac disease patients experienced both an innate and an adaptive immune response to the gliadin, whereas the non-celiacs experienced only the innate response. The researchers hypothesized that the difference between the two groups may be attributable to greater genetic susceptibility at the HLA-DQ locus for triggering an adaptive immune response, higher levels of immune mediators or receptors, or perhaps greater permeability in the celiac intestine. It is possible that over and above the possibility of greater genetic susceptibility, most of the differences are from epigenetic factors that are influenced by the presence or absence of certain nutrients in the diet. Other factors such as exposure to NSAIDs like naproxen or aspirin can profoundly increase intestinal permeability in the non-celiac, rendering them susceptible to gliadin’s potential for activating secondary adaptive immune responses. This may explain why in up to 5% of all cases of classically defined celiac disease the typical HLA-DQ haplotypes are not found. However, determining the factors associated greater or lesser degrees of susceptibility to gliadin’s intrinsically toxic effect should be a secondary to the fact that it is has been demonstrated to be toxic to both non-celiacs and celiacs.
    2) WHEAT GLIADIN CREATES INTESTINAL PERMEABILITY
    Gliadin upregulates the production of a protein known as zonulin, which modulates intestinal permeability. Over-expression of zonulin is involved in a number of autoimmune disorders, including celiac disease and Type 1 diabetes. Researchers have studied the effect of gliadin on increased zonulin production and subsequent gut permeability in both celiac and non-celiac intestines, and have found that “gliadin activates zonulin signaling irrespective of the genetic expression of autoimmunity, leading to increased intestinal permeability to macromolecules.”10 These results indicate, once again, that a pathological response to wheat gluten is a normal or human, species specific response, and is not based entirely on genetic susceptibilities. Because intestinal permeability is associated with wide range of disease states, including cardiovascular illness, liver disease and many autoimmune disorders, I believe this research indicates that gliadin (and therefore wheat) should be avoided as a matter of principle.

3) WHEAT GLIADIN HAS PHARMACOLOGICAL PROPERTIES
    Gliadin can be broken down into various amino acid lengths or peptides. Gliadorphin is a 7 amino acid long peptide: Tyr-Pro-Gln-Pro-Gln-Pro-Phe which forms when the gastrointestinal system is compromised. When digestive enzymes are insufficient to break gliadorphin down into 2-3 amino acid lengths and a compromised intestinal wall allows for the leakage of the entire 7 amino acid long fragment into the blood, glaidorphin can pass through to the brain through circumventricular organs and activate opioid receptors resulting in disrupted brain function.
    There have been a number of gluten exorphins identified: gluten exorphin A4, A5, B4, B5 and C, and many of them have been hypothesized to play a role in autism, schizophrenia, ADHD and related neurological conditions. In the same way that the celiac iceberg illustrated the illusion that intolerance to wheat is rare, it is possible, even probable, that wheat exerts pharmacological influences on everyone. What distinguishes the schizophrenic or autistic individual from the functional wheat consumer is the degree to which they are affected.
    Below the tip of the “Gluten Iceberg,” we might find these opiate-like peptides to be responsible for bread’s general popularity as a “comfort food”, and our use of phrases like “I love bread,” or “this bread is to die for” to be indicative of wheat’s narcotic properties. I believe a strong argument can be made that the agricultural revolution that occurred approximately 10-12,000 years ago as we shifted from the Paleolithic into the Neolithic era was precipitated as much by environmental necessities and human ingenuity, as it was by the addictive qualities of psychoactive peptides in the grains themselves.
    The world-historical reorganization of society, culture and consciousness accomplished through the symbiotic relationship with cereal grasses, may have had as much to do with our ability to master agriculture, as to be mastered by it. The presence of pharmacologically active peptides would have further sweetened the deal, making it hard to distance ourselves from what became a global fascination with wheat.
    An interesting example of wheat’s addictive potential pertains to the Roman army. The Roman Empire was once known as the “Wheat Empire,” with soldiers being paid in wheat rations. Rome’s entire war machine, and its vast expansion, was predicated on the availability of wheat. Forts were actually granaries, holding up to a year’s worth of grain in order to endure sieges from their enemies. Historians describe soldiers’ punishment included being deprived of wheat rations and being given barley instead. The Roman Empire went on to facilitate the global dissemination of wheat cultivation which fostered a form of imperialism with biological as well as cultural roots.
    The Roman appreciation for wheat, like our own, may have had less to do with its nutritional value as “health food” than its ability to generate a unique narcotic reaction. It may fulfill our hunger while generating a repetitive, ceaseless cycle of craving more of the same, and by doing so, enabling the surreptitious control of human behavior. Other researchers have come to similar conclusions. According to the biologists Greg Wadley & Angus Martin:
    “Cereals have important qualities that differentiate them from most other drugs. They are a food source as well as a drug, and can be stored and transported easily. They are ingested in frequent small doses (not occasional large ones), and do not impede work performance in most people. A desire for the drug, even cravings or withdrawal, can be confused with hunger. These features make cereals the ideal facilitator of civilisation (and may also have contributed to the long delay in recognising their pharmacological properties).”
    4) WHEAT LECTIN (WGA) DAMAGES OUR TISSUE.
    Wheat contains a lectin known as Wheat Germ Agglutinin which is responsible for causing direct, non-immune mediated damage to our intestines, and subsequent to entry into the bloodstream, damage to distant organs in our body.
    Lectins are sugar-binding proteins which are highly selective for their sugar moieties. It is believed that wheat lectin, which binds to the monosaccharide N-acetyl glucosamine (NAG), provides defense against predation from bacteria, insects and animals. Bacteria have NAG in their cell wall, insects have an exoskeleton composed of polymers of NAG called chitin, and the epithelial tissue of mammals, e.g. gastrointestinal tract, have a “sugar coat” called the glycocalyx which is composed, in part, of NAG. The glycocalyx can be found on the outer surface (apical portion) of the microvilli within the small intestine.
    There is evidence that WGA may cause increased shedding of the intestinal brush border membrane, reduction in surface area, acceleration of cell losses and shortening of villi, via binding to the surface of the villi. WGA can mimic the effects of epidermal growth factor (EGF) at the cellular level, indicating that the crypt hyperplasia seen in celiac disease may be due to a mitogenic reponse induced by WGA. WGA has been implicated in obesity and “leptin resistance” by blocking the receptor in the hypothalamus for the appetite satiating hormone leptin. WGA has also been shown to have an insulin-mimetic action, potentially contributing to weight gain and insulin resistance.15 And, as discussed earlier, wheat lectin has been shown to induce IgA mediated damage to the kidney, indicating that nephropathy and kidney cancer may be associated with wheat consumption.
    5) WHEAT PEPTIDES EXHIBIT MOLECULAR MIMICRY
    Gliadorphin and gluten exporphins exhibit a form of molecular mimicry that affects the nervous system, but other wheat proteins effect different organ systems. The digestion of gliadin produces a peptide that is 33 amino acids long and is known as 33-mer which has a remarkable homology to the internal sequence of pertactin, the immunodominant sequence in the Bordetella pertussis bacteria (whooping cough). Pertactin is considered a highly immunogenic virulence factor, and is used in vaccines to amplify the adaptive immune response. It is possible the immune system may confuse this 33-mer with a pathogen resulting in either or both a cell-mediated and adaptive immune response against Self.
    6) WHEAT CONTAINS HIGH LEVELS OF EXCITO-TOXINS
    John B. Symes, D.V.M. is responsible for drawing attention to the potential excitotoxicity of wheat, dairy, and soy, due to their exceptionally high levels of the non-essential amino acids glutamic and aspartic acid. Excitotoxicity is a pathological process where glutamic and aspartic acid cause an over-activation of the nerve cell receptors (e.g. NMDA and AMPA receptor) leading to calcium induced nerve and brain injury. Of all cereal grasses commonly consumed wheat contains the highest levels of glutamic acid and aspartic acid. Glutamic acid is largely responsible for wheat’s exceptional taste. The Japanese coined the word umami to describe the extraordinary “yummy” effect that glutamic acid exerts on the tongue and palate, and invented monosodium glutamate (MSG) to amplify this sensation. Though the Japanese first synthesized MSG from kelp, wheat can also be used due to its high glutamic acid content. It is likely that wheat’s popularity, alongside its opiate-like activity, has everything to do with the natural flavor-enhancers already contained within it. These amino acids may contribute to neurodegenerative conditions such as Multiple sclerosis, Alzhemier’s, Huntington’s disease, and other nervous disorders such as Epilepsy, Attention Deficit Disorder and Migraines.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

4evrneo (20th September 2012), Arrowwind (11th September 2012), Caren (20th September 2012), Dawn (11th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (10th September 2012), eileenrose (11th September 2012), Eram (10th September 2012), Hervé (20th September 2012), The Truth Is In There (11th September 2012), Ultima Thule (6th November 2013)

19. Link to Post #150
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,038 times in 1,437 posts

[/COLOR]
    Yogurt doesnt make with ultra pasturized milk, so I suspect perhaps not with keifer also. Life begets life. Ultra pasturized milk is fully dead.

I live in Belgium where some !@%$#wit made the decision to only allow UHT milk in the supermarket too, just like in France.
    It IS possible to make kefir with that, because in the end.. all the kefir grains require is the lactose (milk-sugar) to ferment it into the goodies that we want and need so badly. I did it many times when we ran out of fresh milk (not raw because yukkie taste) that I buy from the organic farm a few hundred meters away.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eram For This Post:

Dawn (21st September 2013), Dennis Leahy (10th September 2012), Jake (10th September 2012)

21. Link to Post #151
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Wakytweaky (here)
    ... I live in Belgium where ... when we ran out of fresh milk (not raw because yukkie taste)
    Strange cows you have there in Belgium. Raw milk from Texas cows is yummy.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Caren (20th September 2012), conk (10th September 2012), Dawn (11th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (10th September 2012), Eram (10th September 2012), Jake (10th September 2012)

23. Link to Post #152
    Thanks

No Paul... raw milk from Les 'Blanc bleu belge' is yummie too.

It is the kefir that is produced from it that tastes like vomit from a narcoleptic Boar.

edit to add:

So I buy raw milk, which we drink at home and then for the kefir, I bring it to 70 C fahrenheit before cooling and adding it to the kefir grains
    Last edited by Eram; 10th September 2012 at 19:01.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eram For This Post:

Dawn (21st September 2013), Dennis Leahy (10th September 2012), Swan (11th September 2012)

25. Link to Post #153
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Swan (here)
    Thank you for this http://www.orhaolam.com/uploads/KefirInShort.pdf

My kefir grains are on their way

A question to Dawn: My son doesn´t tolerate milk very well. Will kefir made from milk be OK? Or should I try a vegan alternative?
    Hi Swan,

Depending on what your son does not tolerate about milk, will determine if he can stand the kefir.
    If it is the lactose that he is allergic too, then kefir is no problem for him. The lactose is eaten bye the kefir grians.
    My girlfriend is lactose intolerant also and she drinks kefir... no problem.

There is always the possibility to make water kefir if this turns out bad for him.

Good luck with your first batch... exciting

oeps.... just saw that Paul posted the same answer... sorry!

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eram For This Post:

Caren (20th September 2012), Dawn (11th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (10th September 2012), Swan (11th September 2012)

27. Link to Post #154
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,961 times in 900 posts

I make my kefir with goats milk. very nice...
    by the way my kids prefer goats milk to cows milk.... its easier on the guts and it also lasts much longer..
    also, I heard that goats milk was used by humans for thousands of years before cows milk, therefore there is much bettere tolerance...

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to meat suit For This Post:

13th Warrior (17th September 2012), Caren (20th September 2012), conk (11th September 2012), Dawn (21st September 2013), Dennis Leahy (10th September 2012), eileenrose (11th September 2012), Eram (11th September 2012), Swan (11th September 2012)

29. Link to Post #155
    Thanks

Quote Posted by meat suit (here)
    .... its easier on the guts and it also lasts much longer..
    also, I heard that goats milk was used by humans for thousands of years before cows milk, therefore there is much bettere tolerance...
    I have goats milk too but after the third day it goes to the cats.. over three days the milk tastes the way a goat smells... before then its just fine.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Caren (20th September 2012), Dawn (21st September 2013), Dennis Leahy (11th September 2012), eileenrose (11th September 2012), Eram (11th September 2012), Swan (11th September 2012)

31. Link to Post #156
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I have goats milk too but after the third day it goes to the cats.. over three days the milk tastes the way a goat smells... before then its just fine.
    It works the other way around in my household. The cat prefers milk (raw cows milk in this case) less than three days old, but I am happy with it up to a week or ten days old .

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Caren (20th September 2012), Dawn (21st September 2013), Eram (11th September 2012)

33. Link to Post #157
    Thanks

I don't know what the Texan cows are being fed Paul, but the raw milk from our cows here, turns sour after 2 days, 3 days if with luck

or do you like your milk sour?
    Last edited by Eram; 11th September 2012 at 11:55.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Eram For This Post:

Dawn (21st September 2013)

35. Link to Post #158
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Wakytweaky (here)
    I don't know what the Texan are being fed Paul, but the raw milk from our cows here, turns sour after 2 days, 3 days if with luck

or do you like your milk sour?
    I don't like sour ... but I do keep my refrigerator very cold, nearly freezing where the milk is.

The key to keeping fresh milk fresh is keeping the temperature within a few degrees of freezing.

I use an infrared thermometer (Fluke 62) to measure the temperature ... a useful gadget around the kitchen:

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Caren (20th September 2012), Dawn (12th September 2012), Eram (11th September 2012)

37. Link to Post #159
    Thanks

[, but I am happy with it up to a week or ten days old .

on the other hand raw cows milk seems to keep up to 6 days here.
    your cats are kinda prissy. Mine will drink it after sitting around for a couple of days.
    I know a guy who puts his raw milk on the counter for days then drinks it... double yuck.

Maybe I need a colder frige.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Dawn (21st September 2013)

39. Link to Post #160
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,580 times in 5,817 posts

My second batch of kombucha went too far toward vinegar. I "knew" it when I tasted the batch prior to the second fermentation, but (inexperienced) I thought that the added juice and sugar at the beginning of the second fermentation would "save" the batch. It did not.

I'm told it makes good hair rinse and foot soak.

Damn!

ph test strips have now been ordered. (Winemakers need test strips with the same ph range.)

Dennis

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Caren (20th September 2012), Dawn (12th September 2012), Swan (11th September 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 1 8 18 28 LastLast