+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 1 9 19 28 LastLast

Thread: The gut of most disease... NOT what you think!

1. Link to Post #161
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

Default Re: The gut of most disease... NOT what you think!

Im not all that uncertain that a vinegar taste is bad. Vinegar historically is very good for you. If you subscribe to that kombucha news letter I posted the link to they explain all this stuff over time

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

4evrneo (20th September 2012), Caren (20th September 2012), Dawn (12th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (12th September 2012), Eram (12th September 2012), Swan (11th September 2012)

3. Link to Post #162
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,975 times in 462 posts

Quote Posted by Wakytweaky (here)
    I don't know what the Texan are being fed Paul, but the raw milk from our cows here, turns sour after 2 days, 3 days if with luck

or do you like your milk sour?
    that's the reason why I stopped drinking raw milk. It tastes great when you first open it, but 2 days later it's soured. At almost $5.00 a litre, it gets a bit wasteful to chuck it out. And I wonder how good it is to use soured milk for kefir
    I don't like sour ... but I do keep my refrigerator very cold, nearly freezing where the milk is.

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    The key to keeping fresh milk fresh is keeping the temperature within a few degrees of freezing.

I use an infrared thermometer (Fluke 62) to measure the temperature ... a useful gadget around the kitchen:
    How do you manage to keep the milk section near freezing? do you put your milk in the freezer or do you have a super dooper fridge that has different temperature controls? Maybe I need to upgrade my 30 year old fridge
    Last edited by leavesoftrees; 11th September 2012 at 22:14. Reason: fix quote

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

Dawn (21st September 2013), Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (12th September 2012)

5. Link to Post #163
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,348 times in 21,474 posts

Quote Posted by leavesoftrees (here)
    How do you manage to keep the milk section near freezing? do you put your milk in the freezer or do you have a super dooper fridge that has different temperature controls? Maybe I need to upgrade my 30 year old fridge
    I've got a basic model cheapo ordinary refrigerator that came with my Texas trailer a few years ago. It has one temperature control, which affects in various odd ways the temperature throughout both the refrigerator and freezer compartments. I set it so that where the milk usually resides is the temperature I want for the milk. The rest of refrigerator takes on whatever temperatures result from doing so.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Dawn (21st September 2013), Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (12th September 2012), leavesoftrees (12th September 2012), Ol' Roy (11th September 2012)

7. Link to Post #164
    United States Avalon Member Ol' Roy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,559 times in 399 posts

Dawn, my dear. I think you have really made a hit! This thread is so valuable! It is a wakeup call for many of us, who have suffered throughout the years.

I have seen Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride's presentation before. Maybe through you, in April or someone else on this great forum. It clicked then, but I guess I was focusing on autism. Which in itself is a remarkable cure.

There are sooo many commericials on TV for probiotics, Activia(yogurt) and other high cultered(live) bacteria. I get a ton of these through the mail!

You know Dawn you have become sort of a Guru on this subject. THIS WAS NOT YOUR INTENT! You have so nicely given the information to people. Everybody do your own research.

Anyhow, I am going to buy the book. Gut and Psychology Syndrome.

Dawn, I would like to PM you about your experience in Peru. Fell free to share on Avalon. It's about my brother's health.

Hope you have a chance to go outside between your moding, being a significant other, and saving the world, one person at a time!

Love ya!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ol' Roy For This Post:

4evrneo (20th September 2012), Caren (20th September 2012), Dawn (12th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (12th September 2012)

9. Link to Post #165
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ol' Roy (here)
    There are sooo many commericials on TV for probiotics, Activia(yogurt) and other high cultered(live) bacteria. I get a ton of these through the mail!

!

Just some general thoughts regard ing Acitiva, a bacteria called regularis,, I suspect that it was culturally engineered and I would stay away from it.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Caren (20th September 2012), Dawn (12th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (12th September 2012), seko (12th September 2012)

11. Link to Post #166
    Portugal Avalon Member
    Thanks

all them are genetic modified, im almost sure. im geneticist, and i read about it. otherwise would not make sense to patent it right?? the actimel is made by them too. But, im not sure if there is really anything bad.. i understand why genetic modifying comes into play.. But in the end we'll never know.

And besides , i read a scientific paper, that tested the concentration of the bacteria, on the yogurt, to see if significant chnages occur. And conclusion is.. No siginificant, improvement, on the body immune functions. At delivered dosis!!
    Sorry not having the link, but maybe, PUBMED CAN HELP.. lactus immunitas

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MiguelQ For This Post:

Caren (20th September 2012), Dawn (12th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (12th September 2012), seko (12th September 2012)

13. Link to Post #167
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 times in 277 posts

I've been using this book for my kefir production with great success for some time now.
    Kefir-Book.pdf
    The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about and refuse to investigate.
    – Dr. Wayne Dyer

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Czarek For This Post:

Caren (20th September 2012), conk (17th September 2012), Dawn (12th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), eileenrose (12th September 2012), Eram (12th September 2012), genevieve (13th April 2013), seko (12th September 2012)

15. Link to Post #168
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 times in 1,149 posts

I check out my thread often with the intention of educating myself and also of keeping them on topic. Yesterday when I opened this thread I was amazed to find all the wealth of posts. I'd like to add a couple of things to the general discussion.

Quote Quote Posted by Swan (here)
    A question to Dawn: My son doesn´t tolerate milk very well. Will kefir made from milk be OK? Or should I try a vegan alternative?
    1. There is so much information out there about raw milk vs pasteurized milk. I was going to write a short note about it... however the topic is so rich that I don't know how to shorten it. Here's the truth in a nutshell:
    ****Raw milk is one of the best and most easily digested foods on the planet.
    ****Once milk is heated (pasteurized) in any way it is a toxic food which is very hard to digest
    If you Google 'raw milk benefits' you will find so much information to back up the above statements that you may be amazed.
    Here's just ONE link: http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/raw_mi..._benefits.html

2. 99% of people allergic to milk are NOT allergic to RAW milk... and almost everyone who shows allergic symptoms is NOT ALLERGIC TO KEFIR. So, do not let fear of milk allergy stop you from using this healing food. However, if you are in the .001% of people who still is sensitive then you can get most of the same benefits with living sauerkraut and living pickles. (PS: the reason that kefir is not an allergen is that all milk sugar is absent in home made kefir)

Quote Whakytweaky: I buy raw milk, which we drink at home and then for the kefir, I bring it to 70 C Fahrenheit before cooling and adding it to the kefir grains
    Whakytweaky- I read all your posts about kefir and raw milk. You might be motivated to retrain your taste buds if you read the information about raw milk in the link above. Almost every vitamin, mineral, protein, and enzyme it contains is made unavailable by heating it. How could kefir help but be a better food if made with raw milk? Most people can't even get raw milk any more, you are very lucky to have a source.

3. Kefir lasts a LOOOOOONG time in the refigerator after it is made and... if you leave it at room temp it will just continue to ferment until it becomes cheese and whey. I use the whey as a salad dressing base instead of vinegar and I blend the cheese with garden herbs. So kefir is an excellent way to store fresh raw milk.

4. You can make pretty good kefir from reconstituted powdered milk according to online articles about it... so kefir cultures are pretty tough and not too picky. But milk kefir will not live in almond milk, coconut milk, or hemp milk. For these you need water kefir.

5. I have been giving away kefir starter to almost anyone who is willing to try to begin healing their digestion. At least one person let her's die because she said it smelled like 'vomit' when it was fermenting on her kitchen counter. (same reaction you had WhackyTweaky) However, she came to me for a 2nd starter because she got online and read about the benefits. Now she cultures the kefir as I do, with a tight lid on to capture the effervescence, and doesn't have any reaction to the smell or taste of the kefir any longer. So, if the smell of kefir is an issue to you this simple solution might help? (be sure the lid is plastic, or at least coated with plastic so the lactic acid in the kefir won't react with it!)
    Last edited by Dawn; 12th September 2012 at 05:37.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (12th September 2012), Marianne (12th September 2012), Swan (12th September 2012)

17. Link to Post #169
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Dawn (here)
    I am on a fairly recent journey that involves re-remembering something about health that I had forgotten along the way. This has changed my health in dramatic and unexpected ways over a short period... and there will be more changes for me to come as I progress through this deep healing path.
    This thread continues to be perhaps the most valuable thread in the "Alternative Medicine & Sciences" sub-forum ... so I just made it "Sticky" so it would be easier for others to find it.

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

13th Warrior (17th September 2012), CdnSirian (25th September 2012), Dawn (12th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (12th September 2012), Eram (12th September 2012), Hervé (20th September 2012), Marianne (12th September 2012), Ol' Roy (12th September 2012), Swan (12th September 2012), Swanette (13th September 2012)

19. Link to Post #170
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Likely stating the obvious, but for the beginners in this endeavor know the following: Most commercial probiotics are near worthless. You must spend a little extra to obtain quality. Even the best probiotics contain 'only' around 30 to 50 billions measures of bacteria, whereas one serving of good fermented food can contain trillions.

As for most store bought yogurt? Nothing more than soft candy. Especially the fat free kind. Almost no measureable bacteria. Too much sugar. And one of the most nutritous aspects, the fat, is removed. Dairy fat contains Conjugated Linoic Acid (CLA), a very healthful fat. It even aids in reducing belly fat.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Connecting with Sauce (16th September 2012), Dawn (12th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (20th September 2012), Marianne (12th September 2012), Ol' Roy (12th September 2012)

21. Link to Post #171
    Thanks

I'm going to 'tell on myself' in this post. I have been a known celiac for about 20 years. During this time I learned to associate pastries, bread, pizza and so on with feeling distinctly unwell and I eventually lost all desire for it. Afterall, when you look at something you know will make you sick, your desire for it falls away. However... in the dusty recesses of my memory lurkes the recollection of baking home made bread and the aroma that filled the house on bread baking day (not to mention the taste of pasteries).

Well, somewhere in something I've read about this process of healing the digestive system, I read that wheat intolerance would be 'overcome' as the intestines healed. So, I tried a wonderful piece of sourdough bread with real butter about 2 weeks ago... YUM! I didn't get ill, so I tried it again a week later, and then again yesterday. I knew better, but this powerful addictive substance had a sirens call and I succumbed. Today I am paying for my transgressions with a very sore abdomen and nausea, along with general feeling of being unwell. I knew better, but apparently I had to prove it to myself again.
    If you haven't yet looked at CONK's wonderful post here: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post551495
    You owe it to yourself to read this very carefully. In order to remain healthy NO ONE should be eating any wheat products.

Did you read the part about wheat causing
    ......kidney cancer and nephritus?
    ......Heart Disease?
    ......autism?
    ......schizophrenia?
    ......leaky gut?

It appears that if we use cultured food to heal our digestive systems, we will still not be able to heal if we are eating bread and cereals. Beware.... Be Aware....

And... there is evidence that potatoes and rice act in much the same way and are also addictive and toxic.
    Last edited by Dawn; 12th September 2012 at 20:01.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

conk (12th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (20th September 2012), Marianne (12th September 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013), Swanette (13th September 2012), ThePythonicCow (12th September 2012)

23. Link to Post #172
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks

Dawn, the gluten in wheat paralyzes the tiny villi in the colon, making them lie flat. Without being able to raise their little heads they can't scoop up the nutrients we need. Also, it does not take long for the extremely thin mucus lining to erode, allowing unwanted particles to cross over and make their way into the blood stream. The last thing you want in your blood are undigested proteins.

Potatoes and possibly other nightshade type veggies contain tiny 'razor blades' that are used as defense mechanisms by the plant. There are some that believe these little shard like items harm the gut.

I'm with you on the bread. Nothing makes me smile like hot bread, butter, and jam or raw honey. Well, maybe scantily clad women holding buttered bread.....that would net a bigger smile. But, I abstain (from bread, not women). Sometimes I'll make something from ground quinoa and smother it in raw butter and mama's homemade jam. Hmmmmmmm!
    Last edited by conk; 12th September 2012 at 20:20.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Dawn (13th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (20th September 2012)

25. Link to Post #173
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,580 times in 5,817 posts

Quote Posted by Arrowwind (here)
    Im not all that uncertain that a vinegar taste is bad. Vinegar historically is very good for you. If you subscribe to that kombucha news letter I posted the link to they explain all this stuff over time
    Hi Arrowwind,

It went far beyond the range of palatability. I was pretty sure it was way too acidic after the first ferment, but in my inexperience, I was hoping that 1-1/2ozs grape juice and 1/2tsp sugar at the beginning of the second ferment was enough to "bring it back". Alas, over the edge is over the edge. Batch 3 started, and ph strips will be here in days.

I did follow-up on the link (now that you mentioned it again), but haven't gotten a newsletter yet.

:~)

Dennis

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Dawn (13th September 2012), Eram (20th September 2012)

27. Link to Post #174
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,580 times in 5,817 posts

I was thinking like conk (not about the scantily clad women...well, not right now), but was thinking of all the other myriad flours on the market now. I know from having eaten some gluten-free muffins and such that it just ain't the same as wheat. Gluten makes chewy. I wonder if the other flours were kneaded, if they would stretch and get a more chewy texture, or just turn to mush.

Sorry to hear about your tough lesson, Dawn, and thanks for your candor. It sounds very much like something I would do.

Dennis

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

conk (13th September 2012), Dawn (13th September 2012), Eram (20th September 2012)

29. Link to Post #175
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    Gluten makes chewy. I wonder if the other flours were kneaded, if they would stretch and get a more chewy texture, or just turn to mush.
    From http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/co...Is-Gluten.htm:
    The gluten in wheat, barley and rye actually consists of two proteins: gliadin and glutenin. When the two combine during the baking process, they form a thick, stretchy, glue-like substance that provides bread and other baked goods with elasticity and appealing texture.
    From http://www.iamm.com/gluten.htm
    The GLUTEN present in wheat, rye, barley is water-insoluble.
    Water insoluble Gluten, is detrimental to everyone’s good health and wellbeing.

Not all gluten is water insoluble.

Water soluble gluten in corn and rice etc. can be broken down in water.
    From http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...n-celiacs.html
    When someone with celiac disease eats the gluten found in wheat, rye, or barley, everything goes along just fine until the gluten reaches the small intestine.

The first thing that goes wrong is that the grain causes the body — in all humans, not just celiacs — to produce too much of the protein zonulin. This excess causes the junctions between cells in the small intestine to open too much. All sorts of things — like toxins and gluten fragments — can get into the bloodstream, a condition known as leaky gut syndrome.

In people with celiac disease, the body sees gluten fragments as invaders — toxins that shouldn’t be there. So it launches an all-out attack against these invaders, but the body also attacks itself, which is why celiac disease is classified as an autoimmune disease.

Specifically, the body attacks the villi on the lining of the small intestine. As the villi get chopped down — blunted is the technical term — they can no longer be as effective in absorbing nutrients. That’s why you see malabsorption (poor nutrient absorption) and nutritional deficiencies in people with celiac disease who still eat gluten.

Because the food is just passing through without being absorbed the way it’s supposed to be, celiacs sometimes suffer from diarrhea. The small intestine is nearly 22 feet long, and damage from celiac disease starts at the upper part — so there’s lots of small intestine to compensate for the damaged part that’s not able to do its job. That means by the time you develop diarrhea, you’re usually a very sick puppy.

30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

conk (13th September 2012), Dawn (21st September 2013), Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (20th September 2012), genevieve (13th April 2013), Hervé (20th September 2012), Marianne (12th September 2012), meat suit (13th September 2012), Swanette (13th September 2012)

31. Link to Post #176
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    I know from having eaten some gluten-free muffins and such that it just ain't the same as wheat. Gluten makes chewy. I wonder if the other flours were kneaded, if they would stretch and get a more chewy texture, or just turn to mush.
    Maybe adding lots of seeds to the bread may help with the chewy factor, like sunflower seeds, lots of 'em, and flax.
    With all the bad rap on wheat flour Im going to be experimenting with making bread half and half.. half wheat and half something else.
    Half an evil isn't as evil as a whole evil right? I dont think I'll be able to get my DH to give up wheat bread... I could do it easily, but not him so comprimise will have to be the answer.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (20th September 2012)

33. Link to Post #177
    Thanks

Quote ME in an earlier post: If you haven't yet looked at CONK's wonderful post here: WHEAT: AN EXCEPTIONALLY UNWHOLESOME GRAIN.
    You owe it to yourself to read this very carefully. In order to remain healthy NO ONE should be eating any wheat products.
    Here's the shocking truth... scientists have discovered that 100% (!!!!!) of humans are damaged by eating wheat. Celaic's have allergic reactions, but EVERYONE is still poisoned and their intestines, heart, nervous systems, and kidneys are damaged... even if they have no outward allergic signs.

That means that YOU are being poisoned by wheat if you are eating it.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 17th September 2012 at 16:23.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

conk (13th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (20th September 2012), The Truth Is In There (22nd September 2012)

35. Link to Post #178
    Thanks

As they say, we all pick our poisons.

I would like to read that research first hand. Anyone know where it is?

I thought it pertained only to the newer hybridized wheat, not the wheat our grandparents ate.

Dawn, that link doesn't work.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Dawn (20th September 2012), Eram (20th September 2012), ThePythonicCow (17th September 2012)

37. Link to Post #179
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 115,973 times in 20,621 posts

updated: I had to come back and edit this post and apologize, because I later realized it wasn't GMO wheat I meant to ask about, but organic wheat as opposed to commercial wheat--grown in commercial fertilizer, sprayed with insecticides, etc.

I was wondering if research has been done comparing commercial and organic wheat to determine if allergic people have different reactions, because I doubt that there was this huge number of people with celiac disease before commercial farming practices became the norm.

I believe some studies were done using sprouted wheat, which showed that for some people who could not otherwise tolerate wheat, sprouted wheat was acceptable.

There may be several different factors at work here which have not yet been sufficiently separated out in the research, such as organic vs commercially grown, sprouted vs raw, etc.
    Last edited by onawah; 30th September 2012 at 02:11.
    Each breath a gift...

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

conk (17th September 2012), Dawn (20th September 2012), Eram (20th September 2012), genevieve (13th April 2013)

39. Link to Post #180
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks

Here's an interesting bit of information I learned from Dr. Bruce Lipton, by way of the gentleman doing the Body Talk seminar (good thread, by the way https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...dy-Talk-System ). There are at least 10 bacteria in or on every cell in the human body. That would be 30 trillion x 10. Then there are multiply trillions of bacteria outside/surrounding the cells, hundreds of trillions in fact. So, there are vastly more bacteria in the body than there are cells! We are walking, talking germ sacks. Bag of bugs, we are! This fact is yet more concrete evidence of the near immesurable benefit bacteria hold for us.

Ignore the ranting and raving of The Medical Mafia as they pretend pathogens are the cause of all disease. There is no disease! There are nutritional deficiencies, ingesting of toxins, emotional trauma that lingers as an energy block, inherited negative frequencies, faulty assumptions held in the sub-mind, or an unwanted entity using the body as a host. Did I miss any other cause?

40. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Dawn (20th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (17th September 2012), Eram (20th September 2012), genevieve (13th April 2013), Hervé (20th September 2012), meat suit (17th September 2012), ThePythonicCow (17th September 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 1 9 19 28 LastLast