+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Music be the food of life !

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,575 times in 2,121 posts

Default Music be the food of life !

Is this reminiscence therapy? How powerful is music, that it can bring back people, who doctors have considered on their way out, disappeared into the paint work of their care facility?

Can music bring us back from the brink of death - to hear our favorite tune, in the body we have - just one more time?

What does music do for you?

Enjoy this story.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Debra For This Post:

Cidersomerset (12th April 2012), Eram (15th April 2012), eva08 (12th April 2012), meeradas (12th April 2012), modwiz (12th April 2012), Muzz (12th April 2012), NancyV (12th April 2012), PurpleLama (3rd May 2012), Samsara (12th April 2012), Soul Safari (12th April 2012), ViralSpiral (12th April 2012), WhiteFeather (12th April 2012), Wind (12th April 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Music be the food of life !

Dr Oliver Sacks, who appears in the OP video, is also the author of the Man who Mistook his wife for a Hat (remember the movie starring Robin Williams and Robert De Niro).

Because music has become so prevailing on the forum lately, I was intrigued to find out more about his work in recent times and found these other brief videos, where he talks more about music as a form of therapy.

The first one, here, stunned me because he talks about people who have a neural condition called amusia which means that all music antagonises them, and just sounds like pots and pans being crashed about. Imagine going through life not being able to appreciate music?

In this video, he outlines the benefits of music therapy as a new form of learning, especialy for stroke victims and people who have a condition called expressive afazia - which is having no other language to express with:

And this one is about music as a therapy for people with parkinsons disease, to help give them back their tempo:

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Debra For This Post:

Cidersomerset (12th April 2012), eva08 (12th April 2012), meeradas (12th April 2012), modwiz (12th April 2012), NancyV (12th April 2012), Samsara (12th April 2012), ViralSpiral (12th April 2012), WhiteFeather (12th April 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    germanic
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,854 times in 3,178 posts

Grand, Zebra!

I just had to immediately put your OP here, as it deserves an even bigger audience.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to meeradas For This Post:

Cidersomerset (12th April 2012), Debra (12th April 2012), Eram (15th April 2012), modwiz (12th April 2012), Samsara (12th April 2012), ViralSpiral (12th April 2012), WhiteFeather (12th April 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,645 times in 18,693 posts

Thanks Zebra inspirational stuff, music is one of the foundations of society so it
    would make sence that its vibrations and melodies should effect our well being...
    As well of course our other emotions as well.......
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    This remind me something I first came across after reading Tolkiens The Silmerilion

The Music of the Ainur was the great song of the Ainur that took place before Time began, from which Eä, the material Universe,
    was created. More discussion of this can be found on TolkienGateway.net..

http://unifiedfamily.org/?p=245

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

NASA Recordings - The Sound of the Universe

This is the raw music of universe , maybe somewhere deep in the void other music is creating new Stars ??

I don't know where I'm going with this , you sparked something cheers Steve...

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Debra (12th April 2012), Eram (15th April 2012), meeradas (14th April 2012), modwiz (12th April 2012), Samsara (12th April 2012), WhiteFeather (12th April 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member WhiteFeather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,979 times in 5,652 posts

Great Post. Music is a big part of my life as well. Music is Love and Romance and The Universal Language. Its amazing what music can do to ones soul. 5 STAR THREAD ZEBRA. WANISHI.

Last edited by WhiteFeather; 12th April 2012 at 12:37.
    "Although I Live On This World, I Choose Not To Live In It"
    <:~W.F.~:>

"The answer to every question can be found in nature, if one knows how to look and listen”
    Gwilda Wiyaka

"Everything on the Earth has a purpose, Every disease a herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence".
    Mourning Dove Salish

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhiteFeather For This Post:

Debra (12th April 2012), Eram (15th April 2012), meeradas (14th April 2012), modwiz (12th April 2012), Samsara (12th April 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Cidersomerset, you started something in me too,

Of course, the sound of a new age, or a new star system. Every major public event in history has been marked by a sound signature .. for the reason it carries and invests the emotional underpinnings of the ideologies of the soul of the moment.

And, as you say, the sound of the universe .. ahh, the sound of creation and birthing. Feels right to me

Thanks for these videos, and please bring more!

Quote Posted by Cidersomerset (here)
    Thanks Zebra inspirational stuff, music is one of the foundations of society so it
    would make sence that its vibrations and melodies should effect our well being...
    As well of course our other emotions as well.......
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    This remind me something I first came across after reading Tolkiens The Silmerilion

The Music of the Ainur was the great song of the Ainur that took place before Time began, from which Eä, the material Universe,
    was created. More discussion of this can be found on TolkienGateway.net..

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

NASA Recordings - The Sound of the Universe

This is the raw music of universe , maybe somewhere deep in the void other music is creating new Stars ??

I don't know where I'm going with this , you sparked something cheers Steve...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Debra For This Post:

meeradas (14th April 2012), modwiz (12th April 2012), Samsara (12th April 2012)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

meeradas Thanking you. At the moment the old man´s eyes lit up like two light bulbs, I almost cried with joy.

It also got me wondering more about a special person I worked with a few years ago in the theatre in Australia. He was a composer and musician - a pianist and he also played the harp like an angel. His name is Donald Hall and he was assigned to a few productions that I acted in and one in which I directed. The music, the sound scape, for him, was always next to godliness, without exception. He had a way of being a part of the whole, complementing always, never dominating. There was never ego involved in his process. His organic style of drawing out sound from performers was quite amazing. I learnt a great deal from him. But what I learnt later from this humble man was that he was also a trailblazing music therapist. Not that he gave himself that title He also had a background in anthropology and psychology and initiated the first music therapy programs through public hospitals in Queensland.

Yes, music moves us ..
    I like here in this video how Alfred Tomatis music therapy is introduced as part of preparation for pregnant women and their unborn children. See how the baby in vitro smiles in response. It is beautiful:

Quote Posted by meeradas (here)
    Grand, Zebra!

I just had to immediately put your OP here, as it deserves an even bigger audience.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Debra For This Post:

meeradas (12th April 2012), modwiz (12th April 2012), Samsara (12th April 2012)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Whitefeather, you do us proud

I love the mix of the natural elements with music. Always have. Beautiful images too. Thank you so much, it is a great present

I think that most of us require sound to help us to symbolise and mark our own personal performances into existence. Just with music in our ears, our own private soundtrack, we can walk down a street on a grey day and be anything or anyone we want

Quote Posted by WhiteFeather (here)
    Great Post. Music is a big part of my life as well. Music is Love and Romance and The Universal Language. Its amazing what music can do to ones soul. 5 STAR THREAD ZEBRA. WANISHI.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Debra For This Post:

meeradas (12th April 2012)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Hi again,

I like to bring forward more about Alfred Tomatis. Mainly because I came across his work as a music therapist - helping people with speech and voice problems - after reading the actor, Gerard Depardieu´s autobiography. This was awhile back. I was studying acting and Depardieu was one of my favorites and I was intrigued to learn that he almost failed as a performer. It was because his voice was not 'good enough' it was high, nasally and apparently quite irritating on the ear. Yet Depardieu had this amazing sensitivity. His instrument though was letting him down. So he found his way to Tomatis in Paris and thus began - a program, where he would go to Tomatis and listen on headphones to Mozart for two hours every day. Depardieu´s performances have, for me, always been exemplary. I wish I understood french better but his use of voice is magnificent, and mainly because of Mozart. It has helped him to integrate his voice with his emotional and physical bodies and resonate. I am big fan.

Here are a few videos. This first one is an official explanation of Tomatis´s science and methodology, and some testimonies, including an appearance by Depardieu.

This video is Depardieu in a scene from Green Card, where he plays piano and sings and make some fun references to his days with Tomatis:

And if you have not seen him in Cyrano de Bergerac, here is the famous monologue, defending his nose (again, ironic considering that it was his nasally voice that almost cost him his acting career):

Finally, an interview with Depardieu (in french, for those that can understand)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Debra For This Post:

Alekahn (14th April 2012), meeradas (12th April 2012)

+ Reply to Thread