http://saltnprepper.com/faraday-cage

2. Link to Post #2
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Language
    Discordian
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,082 times in 4,764 posts

Default Re: $15 Faraday Cage

My wife will be much relieved if all my electronics get fried, but she will be less understanding of her lack of television.

3. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

purlelama
    you could always a necklass with the remote so she would feel that its with her where ever she goes.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tonton For This Post:

another bob (30th April 2012), Eram (3rd May 2012), NancyV (30th April 2012), PurpleLama (30th April 2012), WhiteFeather (15th July 2012)

5. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 78,595 times in 8,700 posts

Quote Posted by another bob (here)
    Easy DIY protection for electronics during emp or solar flare:

turns out I have all the ingredients on hand.... thanks another bob
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions. - Robert Anton Wilson

The present as you think of it, and in practical working terms, is that point at which you select your physical experience from all those events that could be materialized. - Seth (The Nature of Personal Reality - Session 656, Page 293)

(avatar image: Brocken spectre, a wonderful phenomenon of nature I have experienced and a symbol for my aspirations.)

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mountain_jim For This Post:

another bob (30th April 2012), Eram (3rd May 2012), NancyV (30th April 2012), PurpleLama (30th April 2012), WhiteFeather (15th July 2012)

7. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,575 times in 2,121 posts

Thanks Bob, I am going to set about doing this .. and pass it around !

Z

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Debra For This Post:

another bob (30th April 2012), Eram (3rd May 2012), noxon medem (16th July 2012), Realeyes (30th April 2012), WhiteFeather (15th July 2012)

9. Link to Post #6
    Germany Avalon Member christian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,208 times in 2,967 posts

Humungus, I always thought a massive solar flare would erase every harddrive on the planet. Now you're saying all it takes for protection is a Faraday Cage.

I was so looking forward to see all the bank account data deleted

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to christian For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (4th May 2012), another bob (30th April 2012), Calz (3rd May 2012), Christine (15th July 2012), Eram (3rd May 2012), Jean-Marie (16th July 2012), modwiz (16th July 2012), sdv (16th July 2012), we-R-one (30th April 2012), WhiteFeather (15th July 2012)

11. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,322 times in 735 posts

Thumbs up Re: $15 Faraday Cage

Quote Posted by another bob (here)
    Easy DIY protection for electronics during emp or solar flare:

Thanks another bob,

I have been looking into this for a number of years - this is the easiest solution I have seen so far - great find!

I will certainly pass this on. You have made me very happy with this thread!

12. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member kudzy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

This is cut & pasted from the comment section in the link from the opening post.
    Very relevant!

Quote Kieseyhow April 29, 2012 at 6:21 am - Reply
    The information in this article is partially correct mixed with some assumptions. A Faraday cage, or an EM shield, will work by blocking EM radiation such as microwaves or radio waves. It will not block a strong magnetic pulse, like one caused by a nuclear blast unless it has multiple layers that are grounded and have resonance damping devices. A Faraday cage will block a moderate RF pulse though that is not magnetic. Solar flares do not cause an EMP. Solar flares cause a massive buildup of electrostatic potential in the atmosphere and resulting high energy particles. Power-lines and any other long cables interacting with these particles will have electricity induced in them causing power transmission systems to overload, overheat, and short out. As such, solar flares do not damage small devices, they damage the main power grid that supplies your systems and devices. Solar flares are not the same as EMP (electromagnetic pulse) waves.

Bill April 30, 2012 at 3:13 pm - Reply
    @ Kieseyhow, you have it right.
    A simple faraday cage will not protect electronics from a strong EMP. The cage would also need to be shielded (ie. below ground).
    Grounding is also very important because studies have shown that EMP energy may be stored in isolated materials (like a capacitor). Grounding will help dissipate the energy.
    Just as any other defense, layers (redundancy) will improve protection.
    Solor flares do not produce EMP. They create power surges in long wire conductors (ie. power lines)
    Full EMP protection is expensive. With that in mind you have to ask yourself? Is the possibility of an EMP event high enough to justify the cost to protect against it? How will I power these items after the event (and the batteries run out)? Would I be better served relying on items that require no electricity to operate?
    I do not know if this is accurate but it seems as though they know what they're talking about.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kudzy For This Post:

eileenrose (16th August 2012), Eram (3rd May 2012), noxon medem (16th July 2012)

14. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Davy's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks another bob, very good info, its on my to do list!!
    The Truth will find you out!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Davy For This Post:

Eram (3rd May 2012), noxon medem (16th July 2012)

16. Link to Post #10
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,127 times in 3,536 posts

Hey folks,

I always wonder about this CME/Solar EMP situation...

You can have a faraday cage indeed, but how would you know when a big EMP/CME is coming, so you can put your stuff inside?

Also, in case of a huge CME/EMP, what´s worth saving our electronics if the whole electric grip would be fried and would take years to repair?

Cheers,

Raf.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RMorgan For This Post:

D-Day (15th July 2012), Eram (3rd May 2012), Midnight Rambler (3rd May 2012), WhiteFeather (15th July 2012)

18. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,324 times in 2,101 posts

I have read in several places, thoʻ I donʻt recall now where, that you can make one at home too. Wrap small electronics in natural fibers such as cotton, then in metal such as a foil, then in in a water tight container. Bury it about a foot deep in soil.

I cannot vouch for it but have read about it from several sources.

Perhaps the most important item to bury is a solar powered or wind-up radio/ham radio for communication and information in case of a damaging EMP. They can be purchased just about anywhere.

Solar powering devices are also available for USB items such as cell phones and pads. Maybe for radios too.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Franny For This Post:

Eram (3rd May 2012)

20. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,038 times in 1,437 posts

Quote Posted by RMorgan (here)
    Hey folks,

You can have a faraday cage indeed, but how would you know when a big EMP/CME is coming, so you can put your stuff inside?

Also, in case of a huge CME/EMP, what´s worth saving our electronics if the whole electric grip would be fried and would take years to repair?

Cheers,

Raf.
    You just addressed my first 2 concerns that popped into mind when reading about this.

Isn't it so that when a mass solar flair occurs, there is plenty of time on earth to see it coming and stuff the electrical equipment in this Cage?

When you have a generator.... you'll be pretty popular after such a big solar flair. Having an operational pc.

cheers,

Waky

21. Link to Post #13
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,127 times in 3,536 posts

Quote Posted by Wakytweaky (here)
    Quote Posted by RMorgan (here)
    Hey folks,

Cheers,

Raf.
    You just addressed my first 2 concerns that popped into mind when reading about this.

Isn't it so that when a mass solar flair occurs, there is plenty of time on earth to see it coming and stuff the electrical equipment in this Cage?

When you have a generator.... you'll be pretty popular after such a big solar flair. Having an operational pc.

cheers,

Waky
    Hey mate,

Well, we can never be sure if the people in charge will in fact ring the alarm before such thing happens.

Anyway, you can have a computer working with a generator indeed, but you´ll only be able to play games or type some texts with it, because in such situation there would be absolutely no internet connection, which is the most important tool on a computer these days.

Besides, as I said on another thread, it would be chaos. Even if you have a generator, you wont be able to buy fuel for it, and if you do, the generator would attract the attention of all looters and other loonies of the neighborhood, which is not a good thing.

My advice? If such situation comes to happen, don´t worry about your electronics. Worry about the safety of you and your family and keep a very low profile. Things would get pretty crazy.

Don´t get to paranoid, but have a plan. Be sure to have somewhere to go in the woods, preferably a place with running water and some animals that you can hunt.

Oh, and if you have an old car in your garage is a big plus. New cars, full of electronic components wouldn´t work as well.

Cheers,

Raf.
    Last edited by RMorgan; 3rd May 2012 at 20:58.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RMorgan For This Post:

Eram (4th May 2012), noxon medem (16th July 2012)

23. Link to Post #14
    Australia Avalon Member Positive Vibe Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 times in 546 posts

Ya know, I am kind of looking forward to a solar flare or something to knock out electronics world wide.

Wipe the banks, the military, government databases, all information.

Will give me some time to hide, and everyone else gets a bit more of the playing field to themselves if they are in debt no longer.

Then again, they probably have their info safe from these situations to keep the power.
    My bad...

Carry on

PVM
    I am the underdog, I am one of many faces,
    In a room full of people, I wouldn't change any places

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Positive Vibe Merchant For This Post:

RMorgan (3rd May 2012)

25. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,752 times in 32,946 posts

-------

I've just been experimenting with aluminum milk churns -- like this:

Here's what's important:

1) It should be aluminum -- not steel. Aluminum works much better for a Faraday cage.

2) Ensure the churn has a tight-fitting lid. The tighter, the better. Then, test it like this:

3) Place a cellphone in the churn, with the lid tight on -- first wrapping the cellphone in paper, cardboard or plastic (to avoid direct contact with the metal inside of the churn).

4) Call the cellphone from another phone. It should not ring, or register the missed call. If it does... this churn will NOT work as a Faraday cage.

What you're testing is whether microwaves will penetrate the 'cage'. If the cellphone is successfully isolated from the grid, this means you can probably use the churn to protect any electronics that will fit inside it. (Again: make sure everything inside is fully insulated from the metal of the churn.)

Important:

What I discovered is that there's no way to tell simply by looking at it whether the churn will work or not. The tightness of the lid is crucial. The churns that passed the test were the ones where the lid was so tight I really had to fight to get it off again.

Simple aluminum garbage cans might not have a good enough seal: they really have to be 'watertight'. You have to actually do the cellphone test to know whether or not your 'cage' will work.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 15th July 2012 at 21:17.

26. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (16th July 2012), Agape (1st August 2012), AnthonyBacala (16th July 2012), Bongo (15th July 2012), Carmen (15th July 2012), christian (18th July 2012), Cognitive Dissident (16th July 2012), DouglasDanger (16th July 2012), eileenrose (16th August 2012), Fred Steeves (15th July 2012), Hervé (16th July 2012), Jean-Luc (16th July 2012), Jean-Marie (16th July 2012), Muzz (31st July 2012), noxon medem (16th July 2012), ROMANWKT (15th July 2012), Rosco1 (20th July 2012), sandy (15th July 2012), seko (15th July 2012), Taurean (15th July 2012), toothpick (16th July 2012), WhiteFeather (15th July 2012), witchy1 (17th July 2012), Yoda (16th July 2012)

27. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,321 times in 10,234 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    -------

I've just been experimenting with aluminum milk churns -- like this:

Here's what's important:

1) It should be aluminum -- not steel. Aluminum works much better for a Faraday cage.

2) Ensure the churn has a tight-fitting lid. The tighter, the better. Then, test it like this:

3) Place a cellphone in the churn, with the lid tight on -- first wrapping the cellphone in paper, cardboard or plastic (to avoid direct contact with the metal inside of the churn).

4) Call the cellphone from another phone. It should not ring, or register the missed call. If it does... this churn will NOT work as a Faraday cage.

What you're testing is whether microwaves will penetrate the 'cage'. If the cellphone is successfully isolated from the grid, this means you can probably use the churn to protect any electronics that will fit inside it. (Again: make sure everything inside is fully insulated from the metal of the churn.)

Important:

What I discovered is that there's no way to tell simply by looking at it whether the churn will work or not. The tightness of the lid is crucial. The churns that passed the test were the ones where the lid was so tight I really had to fight to get it off again.

Simple aluminum garbage cans might not have a good enough seal: they really have to be 'watertight'. You have to actually do the cellphone test to know whether or not your 'cage' will work.
    large, aluminum, with a screw on lid.

I'm looking to put all my fix it tools, electronic components(parts), lights and some inverters in a Faraday cage.

That way I may be able to fix anything that has 'blown up'.

The solar panels and batteries will be just fine on their own.

Much of modern electronics is already in a Faraday cage of sorts, and not all aspects of them will blow up. for example, a cb radio in a truck, may partially survive. and if one knows how to check components and replace them, then things can be brought back to life.

Old cars are also the way to go, diesel types more than anything else. Resturaunts will have plenty of grease sitting unused, to be turned into biodesiel. Find an old diesel generator, be sure it works, then remove all of it's electronics and put them in the Faraday cage. If an EMP shows up, then it can be reassembled, as the electronics have been preserved in the cage and are ready to go...

lister engines are also great devices.

http://www.diesel-bike.com/Lister_Gen/Lister1.html

http://www.generatorsales.com/order/...sp?page=L09912
    Last edited by Carmody; 16th July 2012 at 00:36.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th July 2012), christian (18th July 2012), Hervé (31st July 2012), modwiz (16th July 2012), noxon medem (16th July 2012)

29. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,752 times in 32,946 posts

-------

Hi, Carmody -- many thanks. A couple of questions for you...

Context: Re diesel cars and trucks, many modern engines have more electronics than gasoline [petrol] cars. They're very dependent on multiple sensors, fine balancing of the diesel injectors, turbo and intercooler --- etc etc. When any of these malfunction, the entire engine can go way out of whack.

1) Am I right in presuming that a strong EMP would be more likely to disable a modern diesel car than a gasoline-engined car?

2) If modern diesels are not a good idea to have as an EMP-proof vehicle... how old should the diesel vehicle be?

3) And re modern diesel generators... are they as sensitive as new diesel cars may be?

All and any comments and good information welcome. If you can find any web references, please do also throw them in.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Yoda (16th July 2012)

31. Link to Post #18
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,265 times in 2,136 posts

I would love to have a Lister diesel generator. Not effected by EMP. Simple and rugged. But I've heard that import restrictions prevent getting a complete unit in the U.S.A.

32. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Just a thought but would'nt any old microwave oven make an effective faraday cage? Microwave ovens are shielded to prevent microwaves from escaping, so should'nt the opposite be true?

If you put a cellphone in a properly shielded microwave oven (don't turn on the oven and call the phone it should not ring. Much like the milk container solution mentioned above. Whadayathink?

33. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,321 times in 10,234 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    -------

Hi, Carmody -- many thanks. A couple of questions for you...

Context: Re diesel cars and trucks, many modern engines have more electronics than gasoline [petrol] cars. They're very dependent on multiple sensors, fine balancing of the diesel injectors, turbo and intercooler --- etc etc. When any of these malfunction, the entire engine can go way out of whack.

1) Am I right in presuming that a strong EMP would be more likely to disable a modern diesel car than a gasoline-engined car?

2) If modern diesels are not a good idea to have as an EMP-proof vehicle... how old should the diesel vehicle be?

3) And re modern diesel generators... are they as sensitive as new diesel cars may be?

All and any comments and good information welcome. If you can find any web references, please do also throw them in.
    Regarding modern diesel vs modern gasoline car..both would be disabled. To a near enough equal measure, that either would remain non functional, probably as effectively as if they had been in a flood. All sensors, diode blocks, solid state and normal relays, all electronics..which are distributed throughout the car. Near enough in complexity that both would suffer equally, and be equally unrepairable.

At the basic level, we have glowplugs in a diesel and a rotary spark distributor in a gasoline engine, with the gasoline engine having a coil, some diodes, said distributor of spark, and some spark plugs.

in the basic engine sense, the basic diesel is going to be more robust, regarding sensitivity to EMP, over that of gasoline devices.

In a generator, we have the diode block for the generator proper, which is under one end of the generator proper housing, buy a spare one of those and possibly remove the original. The speed control on most basic generators is mechanical, so that's not a problem. then, the diode and small bits of components for the sparking of the spark-plug..and then maybe some of the basic electronic components for the display, and such. Other than that, most generators are electrically VERY simple and easy to protect by removing the short list of items.

diesel generators are preferable as they are more robust due to high compression design requirements. If of Chinese origin, newest is best, as they are still learning about steel and cast metal qualities and execution.

When it comes to cars, the 70's is when electronic ignition systems began to appear. before that it was carburetors, ignition coils, simple diode controlled solenoids, and spark distributors. those parts for those designs are easy to find,and easy to put away as spares. Once again, avoid gasoline cars as gasoline needs to be refined and older diesels can be made to run on vegetable oil, diesel fuel and kerosene (possibly on the kerosene).

This means a mid 1970's design or older, with regard to the simplicity required with respect to removing and EMP protecting the critical components. Obtaining a repair manual for the given vehicle becomes important, so the given parts can be found and removed. some newer foreign vehicles from India or similar (eg, Russian skoda or yugo, or even south American market cars, at the low end of the pricing when new) might still be simple enough (up into the 1980's) that they can be easily EMP proofed, with regard to being simple enough to remove and protect the critical components. Western cars went completely electronic by the years 1978 to 1980 or so, due to the gas shortage of the 70's (OPEC embargo) making the leaps toward fuel efficiency and emissions issues.

Older tractors would be your friend, if they are diesel, due to these issues of simplicity and age of design/execution.

the Lister engine, for example, it may be possible to get it to run on a mixture of alchohol and water. Some of them being compatible with vegetable oil, kerosene, gasoline, and diesel. Lister designs will run on virtually anything that burns, except wood. Imagine having to dilute some thick oil with a few bottles of grain alchohol.....and the Lister might run on that. It is a distinct possibility. The Lister engines are arguably....the most immortal and universal/versatile designs ever made. The electronics of them are virtually non-existent. The lowest parts count, down to the point that they are barely beyond steam engine designs of the past.

Here's another potential source of materials:

http://www.lessemf.com/fabric.html
    Last edited by Carmody; 16th July 2012 at 15:19.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th July 2012), christian (18th July 2012), Hervé (31st July 2012), Jean-Marie (16th July 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast