+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Personal Protection Ruger SR 22

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,350 times in 2,555 posts

Default Personal Protection Ruger SR 22

Self protection is a very personal decision. Sadly, for some of you that has been made for you by your governments. I happen to live in the gun toting US of A and the sale of personal firearm protection has gone through the roof! The people sense tough times are coming. There are too many stories of people being attacked by rogue mobs, thus the choice of many is to obtain a firearm.

I was blessed with a father who encouraged his two girls to learn how to properly use a firearm. I would go to the gun range on weekends and dad would teach us all the tips and tricks of shooting. Of course, he taught us safety first and the fact that guns are very dangerous. One of the first lessons I learned was that you never point a gun at anyone unless you intend to shoot them, and there is no such thing as an unloaded weapon! My father was one of the best marksmen in the Unites States Navy, and therefore he taught us well. I have recently been thinking about various theories on pistol caliber and ammunition that would offer the most protection.

It has been my thinking for a very long time that the .44 caliber is the best take down weapon based on police statistics of one shot take down results. After that, the second best in my book was a .45, and the 1911 Colt .45 has always been one of my most favorite weapons. With that said though, those are high power pistols and no weapon will help you if you are not comfortable shooting it and learn how to control it. No weapon will help you if you don't want to carry it either. I have tended to not like the 9 mm because it tends to just go through the target and it takes more rounds to take them down while a good .380 round can do incredible damage and stop the bad guys. With all that being said, let me repeat that no weapon will be of any use to you if you are not comfortable shooting it or carrying it.

I have had a change of heart recently regarding carrying a weapon and what caliber to carry. I would have laughed in your face not long ago if you had suggested that I look into getting a .22 pistol. I mean, come on, a .22? Then, I watched Molotov's video and he was right. If you shoot someone they will bleed and hurt and 999 people out of a 1000 are going to stop attacking you at that point. If you shoot them and they do not stop, you have to be able to reacquire your target and shoot them some more. Now, granted if you spend a lot of time on the firing range then that is easier to do, but a .22 kickback is a whole lot less than a .45, .44, or 357. Oh, those rounds will put a football sized hole in someone, but first you have to shoot them, and second if you miss you gotta try again, while the .22 has almost zero kickback and you can put in a tight group easily and if necessary you can do a head shot if absolutely necessary because of how easy it is to control.

One of the reasons people do not shoot their weapon is the cost of the ammunition. It keeps going up, and therefore people go out once or twice a year if lucky and shoot their pistol. That does not make for a very experienced shooter and therefore reaction times are slower should you need to draw your weapon. Some people will get a .22 just to practice with, but if you are in trouble and need to shoot that weapon, then it's imperative that you are comfortable with the kickback and getting back on target!

With all that in mind, I think there are some huge benefits to buying a good quality .22 semi-automatic handgun. The ammo is very cheap, you will have fun shooting it, and will also encourage your children to learn firearm safety and get comfortable with a quality weapon. I think my favorite right now is the Ruger SR .22 and I will post some videos below to let you get an idea of how great this weapon is. I was torn between the Walther P22 and the Ruger SR.22 won out for several reasons.

1. It's 2 ounces heavier than the Walther P22 which decreases kickback
    2. It's barrel is a fixed barrel and it's very thick, it will last
    3. De-cocking mechanism which the Walther P22 does not have and is a hazard when de-cocking the pistol.
    4. 3 dot reversible sights.
    5. 2 clips
    6. extra grip for those with large hands
    7. few parts to breakdown and clean the weapon
    8. The Ruger SR .22 appears to eat almost any ammo with zero problems
    I think there is little reason to go out in public unarmed anymore. If you are going to get a CCW, then learn the tools needed to do so safely and effectively. The second video is an excellent one to understand how to do CCW and not be uncomfortable. Remember, if you are uncomfortable you won't carry, and if you won't carry then you are not protecting yourself or your family. I respect the police and worked with them for years. I did not know a single rogue cop. Every officer I knew would give their life to protect the citizens, but the sad fact is that most police show up after the crime to gather evidence and write reports. They cannot be there for you most of the time, and you are responsible for your life and the life of your family. Learn how to do it safely, skillfully, and effectively!

Ruger SR 22

Great video showing the capability of the .22

Go to WND to see Molotov Mitchell explain why use a .22 or .380 (Great video)

http://www.wnd.com/2012/04/for-self-...e-22-beats-45/

Concealed Carry in the Waistband
    Last edited by Unified Serenity; 2nd May 2012 at 17:56.

2. Link to Post #2
    United States Unsubscribed wynderer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,989 times in 1,133 posts

Default Re: Personal Protection Ruger SR 22

gun sales jumped when BushII stole his first term

i gave it a lot of thought myself & decided No -- but then i don't have children to protect in my home

Quote Posted by Unified Serenity (here)

Self protection is a very personal decision. Sadly, for some of you that has been made for you by your governments. I happen to live in the gun toting US of A and the sale of personal firearm protection has gone through the roof! The people sense tough times are coming. There are too many stories of people being attacked by rogue mobs, thus the choice of many is to obtain a firearm.

I was blessed with a father who encouraged his two girls to learn how to properly use a firearm. I would go to the gun range on weekends and dad would teach us all the tips and tricks of shooting. Of course, he taught us safety first and the fact that guns are very dangerous. One of the first lessons I learned was that you never point a gun at anyone unless you intend to shoot them, and there is no such thing as an unloaded weapon! My father was one of the best marksmen in the Unites States Navy, and therefore he taught us well. I have recently been thinking about various theories on pistol caliber and ammunition that would offer the most protection.

It has been my thinking for a very long time that the .44 caliber is the best take down weapon based on police statistics of one shot take down results. After that, the second best in my book was a .45, and the 1911 Colt .45 has always been one of my most favorite weapons. With that said though, those are high power pistols and no weapon will help you if you are not comfortable shooting it and learn how to control it. No weapon will help you if you don't want to carry it either. I have tended to not like the 9 mm because it tends to just go through the target and it takes more rounds to take them down while a good .380 round can do incredible damage and stop the bad guys. With all that being said, let me repeat that no weapon will be of any use to you if you are not comfortable shooting it or carrying it.

I have had a change of heart recently regarding carrying a weapon and what caliber to carry. I would have laughed in your face not long ago if you had suggested that I look into getting a .22 pistol. I mean, come on, a .22? Then, I watched Molotov's video and he was right. If you shoot someone they will bleed and hurt and 999 people out of a 1000 are going to stop attacking you at that point. If you shoot them and they do not stop, you have to be able to reacquire your target and shoot them some more. Now, granted if you spend a lot of time on the firing range then that is easier to do, but a .22 kickback is a whole lot less than a .45, .44, or 357. Oh, those rounds will put a football sized hole in someone, but first you have to shoot them, and second if you miss you gotta try again, while the .22 has almost zero kickback and you can put in a tight group easily and if necessary you can do a head shot if absolutely necessary because of how easy it is to control.

One of the reasons people do not shoot their weapon is the cost of the ammunition. It keeps going up, and therefore people go out once or twice a year if lucky and shoot their pistol. That does not make for a very experienced shooter and therefore reaction times are slower should you need to draw your weapon. Some people will get a .22 just to practice with, but if you are in trouble and need to shoot that weapon, then it's imperative that you are comfortable with the kickback and getting back on target!

With all that in mind, I think there are some huge benefits to buying a good quality .22 semi-automatic handgun. The ammo is very cheap, you will have fun shooting it, and will also encourage your children to learn firearm safety and get comfortable with a quality weapon. I think my favorite right now is the Ruger SR .22 and I will post some videos below to let you get an idea of how great this weapon is. I was torn between the Walther P22 and the Ruger SR.22 won out for several reasons.

1. It's 2 ounces heavier than the Walther P22 which decreases kickback
    2. It's barrel is a fixed barrel and it's very thick, it will last
    3. De-cocking mechanism which the Walther P22 does not have and is a hazard when de-cocking the pistol.
    4. 3 dot reversible sights.
    5. 2 clips
    6. extra grip for those with large hands
    7. few parts to breakdown and clean the weapon
    8. The Ruger SR .22 appears to eat almost any ammo with zero problems
    I think there is little reason to go out in public unarmed anymore. If you are going to get a CCW, then learn the tools needed to do so safely and effectively. The second video is an excellent one to understand how to do CCW and not be uncomfortable. Remember, if you are uncomfortable you won't carry, and if you won't carry then you are not protecting yourself or your family. I respect the police and worked with them for years. I did not know a single rogue cop. Every officer I knew would give their life to protect the citizens, but the sad fact is that most police show up after the crime to gather evidence and write reports. They cannot be there for you most of the time, and you are responsible for your life and the life of your family. Learn how to do it safely, skillfully, and effectively!

Ruger SR 22

Great video showing the capability of the .22

Go to WND to see Molotov Mitchell explain why use a .22 or .380 (Great video)

http://www.wnd.com/2012/04/for-self-...e-22-beats-45/

Concealed Carry in the Waistband

3. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,615 times in 2,229 posts

I have one... Great pistol!

4. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,885 times in 912 posts

Hornady has just introduced .22 mag. critical defense rounds.

http://http://www.policemag.com/Chan...in-22-WMR.aspx

I like a 22 long rifle hand gun for training/practice but, i'd further recommend a Taurus Judge pistol in .410/45 Colt for the novice handgun handler for self protection.

“Bundinn er bátlaus maður”

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

Mad Hatter (3rd May 2012), NancyV (2nd May 2012), nimmer (5th May 2012), Turcurulin (8th May 2012)

6. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

I saw this pistol on Top shot, it looked very impressive and the rounds have high penetration. I've never fired one, but they commented that it's recoil was not bad.

Police departments are not too happy with them due to the ability to penetrate vests. It's a very popular pistol with many military around the world. I imagine ammo is not cheap!

Quote The FN Five-seveN® single-action autoloading pistol fires the low-recoil 5.7x28mm cartridge making it ideal for personal protection, target shooting or NRA Tactical Police Competition. It features a textured, ergonomic polymer frame with checkered panels for enhanced grip. The polymer slide cover helps reduce weight and the operating controls allow for easy access with a reversible magazine release and ambidextrous manual safety levers. The barrel is hammer-forged and chrome-lined for enhanced accuracy and extended service life. Models are available with matte black, olive drab green or Flat Dark Earth frames with a choice of adjustable target sights or fixed three-dot combat sights.

7. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Unified Serenity (here)
    I saw this pistol on Top shot, it looked very impressive and the rounds have high penetration. I've never fired one, but they commented that it's recoil was not bad.

Police departments are not too happy with them due to the ability to penetrate vests. It's a very popular pistol with many military around the world. I imagine ammo is not cheap!

Quote The FN Five-seveN® single-action autoloading pistol fires the low-recoil 5.7x28mm cartridge making it ideal for personal protection, target shooting or NRA Tactical Police Competition. It features a textured, ergonomic polymer frame with checkered panels for enhanced grip. The polymer slide cover helps reduce weight and the operating controls allow for easy access with a reversible magazine release and ambidextrous manual safety levers. The barrel is hammer-forged and chrome-lined for enhanced accuracy and extended service life. Models are available with matte black, olive drab green or Flat Dark Earth frames with a choice of adjustable target sights or fixed three-dot combat sights.
    The Five Seven as i understand it; was designed as an light armor piercing round. The armor piercing tipped cartridges are not supposed to be on the market for non agency use.

The HN Five Seven is a great hand gun but, it also comes with a great price tag (1000+ US dollars).

You can also get the P90 weapons system chambered in the 5.7.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

Mad Hatter (3rd May 2012), nimmer (5th May 2012), Unified Serenity (2nd May 2012)

9. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

I like this guys videos; good solid info and no guff.

Perhaps the most effective way to hold the Taurus Judge to control muzzle jump:

Self defense effective range at 15 yards with PDX rounds:

Bird shot effective range; close range only:

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

Mad Hatter (3rd May 2012), nimmer (5th May 2012), Unified Serenity (2nd May 2012)

11. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

I have one of the Judge 410/45 pistols too, I like to keep that one close by where my wife can use it. It is nice in an emergency for her w/a 410 shell in it, but not one she would fire for fun. It jups around a lot!

12. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Great vids, thanks

13. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

How to defend an unexpected attack:

At close range, focus on the front sight:

Last edited by 13th Warrior; 2nd May 2012 at 22:48.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

Mad Hatter (3rd May 2012), nimmer (5th May 2012)

15. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: Personal Protection Ruger SR 22

Check out Heizer Defense's new Double Tap. It is like a Derringer on steroids! Great backup weapon or C&C for a male or female... I do not have one yet but my friend with the FFL License is ordering me one.

Last edited by GoodETxSG; 2nd May 2012 at 22:42.

16. Link to Post #12
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

Concealed carry for the ladies.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Mad Hatter (3rd May 2012), nimmer (5th May 2012), Unified Serenity (5th May 2012)

18. Link to Post #13
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,006 times in 904 posts

this is where most europeans like me just go.....wtf... are you guys actually prepared to point any of the above at anonther human being?
    I suppose if you all got the same virus, you all got to have the same immune system.... we just havent got that virus over here.... tfft

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to meat suit For This Post:

Eram (3rd May 2012), Flash (7th May 2012), Mad Hatter (3rd May 2012), mosquito (8th May 2012), Rogerc (3rd May 2012), sdv (3rd May 2012), varuna (3rd May 2012)

20. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

..I agree meat suit, I read this thread and thought whaaat! A different mindset I guess. People have the right to do what's best for them and I wouldnt take that away from them. We are not in the same position as those in the USA - yet..But it wouldnt enter my head to arm myself. Maybe that's naieve? I'm sitting writing this in a pretty little village, looking out over the village green, people walk by and say hi, offers are made by neighbours to deliver milk, bread if you are poorly, my neighbour cuts the grass for a lady who has recently lost her husband . A Police officer comes by and chats over the fence about this and that...I could go on. I'm not trying to say it's perfect in the UK, there are lots of things that have gone badly wrong, but there are little 'pockets of goodness' to be found.

Anyway, have a lovely day everyone and all good wishes to our brothers and sisters in the USA.

21. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to varuna For This Post:

Eram (3rd May 2012), Flash (7th May 2012), Mad Hatter (3rd May 2012), MargueriteBee (3rd May 2012), meat suit (3rd May 2012), mosquito (8th May 2012), Rogerc (3rd May 2012), sunflower (5th May 2012), Turcurulin (8th May 2012), Unified Serenity (5th May 2012), WHOMADEGOD (8th May 2012)

22. Link to Post #15
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,993 times in 630 posts

I am so glad in my world I have no need for a gun!

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MargueriteBee For This Post:

Flash (7th May 2012), Mad Hatter (3rd May 2012), Rogerc (3rd May 2012), sdv (3rd May 2012), UnrealDreams (7th May 2012), WHOMADEGOD (8th May 2012)

24. Link to Post #16
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,459 times in 1,312 posts

Wowe, I wasn't expecting to get that kind of training today. Brilliant practical post on a subject that's pretty touchy.

It's an interesting question; Under what circumstances would I be willing to shoot someone? And find a dispassionate answer.

But you took the charge out of the fear of the question nicely. I think that was really solid advice. Shooting someone doesn't mean intending to kill them.

Of all the possible scenarios, a common and likely one would be that you never even have to pull the trigger. Pointing a gun implies that you're not going to be an easy victim.

Though you do have to be willing to shoot.

No, it's still not simple for me, but you helped me out a lot.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to markpierre For This Post:

Mad Hatter (3rd May 2012), nimmer (5th May 2012), Rogerc (5th May 2012)

26. Link to Post #17
    Australia Deactivated
    Thanks

Remember to point away from face!

Quote are you guys actually prepared to point any of the above at another human being?
    Only if an "Matrix stooge" is pointing one at ME (or wife or child or dog or mate or neighbor or...)
    Last edited by Blueskywalking; 3rd May 2012 at 11:55.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blueskywalking For This Post:

Mad Hatter (3rd May 2012), nimmer (5th May 2012), Rogerc (3rd May 2012), Unified Serenity (5th May 2012)

28. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

It’s better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it. We Americans love our guns, that’s true. But how many times have we been invaded by a foreign countries Army? They would crap their pants if they were told they had to come here and take over. I think when we get to the point of the final E.U. collapse we will see lots of people over there changing their tune and wishing they had a musket handy.

We will have to wait just a little longer until it does finally collapse sadly to prove my point.

29. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Hope that the SR is easier to strip than my old Ruger. If I took it completely down it was usually a trip to the gunsmith.
    The more I learn the less I know

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rogerc For This Post:

Mad Hatter (3rd May 2012), nimmer (5th May 2012), Unified Serenity (5th May 2012)

31. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,548 times in 833 posts

Very scary thread! You people actually like and carry guns? I echo the comment - WTF (I know that you can get a license and buy a gun where I live, but I have never ever seen a shop that sells guns, or even ammunition - never, anywhere!)
    Interesting fact though is that the nation with the most guns per person is Switzerland. It also has one of the lowest murder rates, per person, in the world.
    The nation with the highest murder rate per person is USA (although I suspect that South Africa is giving the USA a lot of competition for first place on the list).

My irrelevant conclusion: I would much rather have a Swiss point a gun at me than an American!
    Sandie
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. (Carl Sagan)

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sdv For This Post:

Flash (7th May 2012), Mad Hatter (3rd May 2012), RMorgan (3rd May 2012), Rogerc (4th May 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast