+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Expanding the Consciousness of Teenagers

1. Link to Post #1
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 times in 197 posts

Default Expanding the Consciousness of Teenagers

Okay, we've all seen teenagers that appear to have lost their minds and regressed to a mental capacity of a three year old, and this happens for a number of reasons including boredom, self expression, drugs, bad influence etc etc....

So back in 1995, we attempted to spark their imaginations and take advantage of the opportunity when I was asked to design and build a new amusement centre in Melbourne.

It was to be called Einsteins, so what I did was to create themed areas within the centre based on alternative things like free energy, Tesla, Mayan temples, Egyptian pyramids, archaeology, inventions, UFO's etc with images and etched plaques located near the machines that explained the basics of each of these things.

Hopefully it was absorbed by their subconscious at least, if not their conscious minds and let them know that there is more out there than just video games.

Straker
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	einsteins.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	16200  

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Straker For This Post:

Alekahn (9th May 2012), annieVee (10th May 2012), Carmen (10th May 2012), conk (9th May 2012), Corncrake (9th May 2012), Fred Steeves (9th May 2012), jason4444 (10th May 2012), learninglight (10th May 2012), Lettherebelight (9th May 2012), Magnus (9th May 2012), mind-scape (10th May 2012), modwiz (10th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (10th May 2012), RMorgan (9th May 2012), TWINCANS (9th May 2012), wynderer (10th May 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Default Re: Expanding the Consciousness of Teenagers

While your experiement is commendable, I believe expansion of awareness begins at the kitchen table. My young children, 16 and 18, are wildly more conscious of world affairs than 90% of their contemparies. It's because we teach them, expose them to infomation outside the usual experiences.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Alekahn (9th May 2012), annieVee (10th May 2012), Earth Angel (11th May 2012), Eram (9th May 2012), Lettherebelight (9th May 2012), Maknocktomb (9th May 2012), mind-scape (10th May 2012), modwiz (10th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (10th May 2012), RunningDeer (9th May 2012), Straker (10th May 2012), wynderer (10th May 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 times in 191 posts

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    While your experiement is commendable, I believe expansion of awareness begins at the kitchen table. My young children, 16 and 18, are wildly more conscious of world affairs than 90% of their contemparies. It's because we teach them, expose them to infomation outside the usual experiences.
    I believe that if we have this information in multiple places, it can only help. I try to teach my own kids, but a lot of the time they don't really listen or want to listen because it's me that is teaching them! It can be very frustrating. Even when I suggest they check out particular videos, I know they probably won't take a look. I just 'happen to be' checking out certain info when they are around - that's all I seem to be able to do!

Any suggestions?
    Selina

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to selinam For This Post:

annieVee (10th May 2012), Lettherebelight (9th May 2012), modwiz (10th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (10th May 2012), RunningDeer (9th May 2012), Straker (10th May 2012), wynderer (10th May 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Quote Posted by selinam (here)
    I believe that if we have this information in multiple places, it can only help. I try to teach my own kids, but a lot of the time they don't really listen or want to listen because it's me that is teaching them! It can be very frustrating. Even when I suggest they check out particular videos, I know they probably won't take a look. I just 'happen to be' checking out certain info when they are around - that's all I seem to be able to do!

Any suggestions?
    Selina
    I am simply lucky I guess. My kids show tremendous interest in anything out of the ordinary. They know this will have a definate impact on their lives. How can they not be interested in "the secret of life" or "the ultimate secret to happiness and abundance"? This is how I put it to my youngsters. Good luck and do not give up on them. Everyone has their own time and some must live out life on their own path.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Earth Angel (11th May 2012), Fred Steeves (9th May 2012), Lettherebelight (9th May 2012), modwiz (10th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (10th May 2012), RunningDeer (9th May 2012), selinam (9th May 2012), wynderer (10th May 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,709 times in 914 posts

We may not realise it, but we are continuously teaching our children through our example, not our words necessarily. It's not what we say, but what we do that they see.

From the minute we wake up, to what time we go to bed, we are teaching by our example, whether conscious of it or not.

The way we speak, our daily activities, sharing our love and understanding, that is the only language between parents and children. They are picking up so much more than we realise...the good and the bad! Lol

The Einstein centre looks great, I'm sure it influenced many young people....it has also influenced me, someone in an older body!

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Lettherebelight For This Post:

conk (9th May 2012), Fred Steeves (9th May 2012), meeradas (9th May 2012), mind-scape (10th May 2012), modwiz (10th May 2012), pilotsimone (9th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (10th May 2012), RunningDeer (9th May 2012), selinam (9th May 2012), Straker (10th May 2012), wynderer (10th May 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 times in 191 posts

Quote Posted by Lettherebelight (here)
    We may not realise it, but we are continuously teaching our children through our example, not our words necessarily. It's not what we say, but what we do that they see.

From the minute we wake up, to what time we go to bed, we are teaching by our example, whether conscious of it or not.

The way we speak, our daily activities, sharing our love and understanding, that is the only language between parents and children. They are picking up so much more than we realise...the good and the bad! Lol

The Einstein centre looks great, I'm sure it influenced many young people....it has also influenced me, someone in an older body!
    Wise words Lettherebelight and thanks for reminding me!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to selinam For This Post:

Lettherebelight (9th May 2012), modwiz (10th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (10th May 2012), RunningDeer (9th May 2012)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 times in 659 posts

Any suggestions?
    Selina
    I am simply lucky I guess. My kids show tremendous interest in anything out of the ordinary. They know this will have a definate impact on their lives. How can they not be interested in "the secret of life" or "the ultimate secret to happiness and abundance"? This is how I put it to my youngsters. Good luck and do not give up on them. Everyone has their own time and some must live out life on their own path.
    I have the same response as Selina at least from my 18 year old daughter - my 16 year old son is far more receptive. Of course I have made mistakes as a parent but I have tried to do it 'right' - all meals around the table, little television and open conversation which covers everything from music, politics, conspiracy theories, healthy living and jokes! However, my daughter has rebelled and usually rolls her eyes when one of my favourite topics comes up. When other people talk of her though they tell me she is kind, considerate and well informed so maybe it has sunk in. Of course they could be lying!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corncrake For This Post:

Fred Steeves (9th May 2012), RunningDeer (9th May 2012), wynderer (10th May 2012)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Rantaak's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 times in 360 posts

Well, I'm almost a teenager (body is 21 years old). Not all of us are morons. Some of us have mothers who read to us every day as children. Now we have an insatiable hunger for knowledge.

90% of humans are just animals in human bodies. Don't let this discourage you.
    By Seeking You May Find. By Doing You May Become.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rantaak For This Post:

Earth Angel (11th May 2012), Fred Steeves (9th May 2012), learninglight (10th May 2012), Lettherebelight (9th May 2012), modwiz (10th May 2012), RunningDeer (9th May 2012), wynderer (10th May 2012)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Actually expanding the consciousness of children & teenagers isn't the hard task its made out to be, find a subject they are interested in, ghosts & aliens are usually great topics to start them of with and build from there.

The hard task is trying to expand the consciousness of an adult that thinks they know the meaning to life & that meaning is to work, get money, be rich, and acquire material things.

Better yet try & expand the consciousness of a 50+ year old that believes that the government has YOUR best interests at heart, that they work tirelessly to make your life better... lol

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bongo For This Post:

Carmen (10th May 2012), Fred Steeves (9th May 2012), learninglight (10th May 2012), Lettherebelight (10th May 2012), mind-scape (10th May 2012), modwiz (10th May 2012), Nyce555 (11th May 2012), pilotsimone (9th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (10th May 2012), wynderer (10th May 2012)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,536 times in 642 posts

My teen also rolls her eyes a lot when anything of an alternative nature is being discussed (only celeb worship and social media). Her parents know nothing - until she feels threatened / ill/ worried, or is looking for help with a decision, or needs info for her homework, lol.

Today I was pleased to offer some facts from one of the threads on bee colony collapse on a PPT presentation she was doing for class. Last week it was 911/inside job for another class, and last month a photo essay on chemtrails for Media Arts.

I think there's a relationship that comes from homeschooling during elementary level. BTW she's on the Honour Roll.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TWINCANS For This Post:

Fred Steeves (9th May 2012), Lettherebelight (9th May 2012), modwiz (10th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (10th May 2012), RunningDeer (9th May 2012), wynderer (10th May 2012)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,298 times in 18,139 posts

I was privy to a classroom of 13-14 year olds. They bragged on what a tough parent they had. Everyone was trying to out do the each other. It was a "Badge of Honor" to have the most strict. They agreed that it was a good thing, but, they'll never let you know. I did suggested that they at least take out the garbage without the reminder every once in a while.
    The only suggestion: keep on keeping. Create the space. They're listening.

Any suggestions?
    Selina
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 10th May 2012 at 16:06.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Earth Angel (11th May 2012), Fred Steeves (9th May 2012), modwiz (10th May 2012), pilotsimone (9th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (10th May 2012), wynderer (10th May 2012)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Ahem....Loony....Shhhh!!!! 50+ in the room with you...

She doesn't fit in that box you described. Many more out there, too. Agreed, some days, not enough care about x,y, & z. I'm asking that you don't generalize towards an entire population of 50+.

Lots younger fit all those boxes you've got piling up there. Just sayin'

Peace to you, WhiteCrowBlackDeer

Quote Posted by Loony (here)
    Actually expanding the consciousness of children & teenagers isn't the hard task its made out to be, find a subject they are interested in, ghosts & aliens are usually great topics to start them of with and build from there.

The hard task is trying to expand the consciousness of an adult that thinks they know the meaning to life & that meaning is to work, get money, be rich, and acquire material things.

Better yet try & expand the consciousness of a 50+ year old that believes that the government has YOUR best interests at heart, that they work tirelessly to make your life better... lol

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Earth Angel (11th May 2012), Straker (10th May 2012)

25. Link to Post #13
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

You are 100% correct, thankyou. It does begin at home, and so it should. The ones we were trying to reach were the ones that slipped through those cracks and perhaps weren't given the same love and attention that we give our own children.

Straker

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Straker For This Post:

conk (10th May 2012), Earth Angel (11th May 2012), Lettherebelight (10th May 2012), modwiz (10th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (10th May 2012), RunningDeer (10th May 2012)

27. Link to Post #14
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Any suggestions?
    Selina
    Hi Selina,

I believe children like to discover things for themselves, hence why we placed the info at a place they frequented, and did not force it upon them. They could simply ignore it, or by chance, be inspired by it to want to know more. Either way, the intention was to spark their subconscious.

Have faith, all will transpire as it should, and in it's own time.

Straker

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Oh dear...I'm 45, does that mean I only have 5 years left before I lose my mind...

Straker

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Straker For This Post:

Bongo (10th May 2012), conk (10th May 2012), modwiz (10th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (10th May 2012), RunningDeer (10th May 2012), wynderer (10th May 2012)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

I'm kind of in the opposite boat here, at least on the age side of things.
    I've been interested in Metaphysics and alternative media since I was 13 or 14, but was never able to get my parents interested in the subject. They are wonderful people...but we really don't talk about anything outside of their realm of comfort (which has, over time, become increasingly more limited)...and that's just fine. To each their own. Every path is different.

I know a majority of people my age (I'm nearing my 24th birthday now) aren't interested in anything outside of what's been spoonfed to them through media and social expectation... And who can blame them? We were literally "herded" through school... and most of us have been thriving off of toxins (air, food, water, thought influence) since we came into this world. Like flowers planted in industrialized dead soil, we're expected to grow out of nothing and into a uniform-clad Utopia. It's depressing. Most of us have never known an existence otherwise (in this life).

People in my age group get looked down on a lot... But despite what's written above, I also know that there are quite a few of us firestartes out there. And regardless of what we've been expected to become, we're burning quite brightly. Lighting the candles on trails for people to follow. But speaking with others, I've found that a lot of us are in a similar situation. Most of us are still just "getting by" trying to make peace with our place in the world. Having been thrust into this mess, most of us don't have the resources or time to do some of the amazing things that those who have walked before us have had time to do. The building blocks are there, yes, but it's become increasingly more difficult to simply just make ends meet. It can be really frustrating at times.

But you know, age aside... I'm sure that goes for many others.
    Just offering a slightly different perspective.

All in all,
    People just need to start looking up again.
    Nothing like the night sky to make you feel really insignificant... yet completely whole.
    Last edited by mind-scape; 10th May 2012 at 14:51.
    -----------------------------------------------
    "Out of the silent planet... out of the silent planet we are...."
    Personal Art Gallery
    Facebook Page for Daily Sketches

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mind-scape For This Post:

Bongo (10th May 2012), conk (10th May 2012), Earth Angel (11th May 2012), Lettherebelight (10th May 2012), modwiz (10th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (10th May 2012), RunningDeer (10th May 2012), wynderer (10th May 2012)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Quote Posted by WhiteCrowBlackDeer (here)

She doesn't fit in that box you described. Many more out there, too. Agreed, some days, not enough care about x,y, & z. I'm asking that you don't generalize towards an entire population of 50+.

haha, in no way way was i meaning that as a generalization towards 50+ year olds

You may fall under the "50+" category but you don't fall into the "believes that the government has YOUR best interests at heart, that they work tirelessly to make your life better" category.

usually the people I'm talking about have been around the "block" (as they say) a few times & because of this they think the saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is accurate when in fact it is extremely false. because of this attitude they absolutely know best (from there point of view) & are not open to anything that conflicts with what they have learned in their life, making it extremely difficult in trying to expand there awareness. btw i speak from experience with my mother... lol

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bongo For This Post:

RunningDeer (10th May 2012), wynderer (10th May 2012)

33. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I stand corrected, Loony.

I agree, there are those that choose to walk around with anchor attached to their ankles. Let's get together and create a business that offers helium balloon rides for half price on Mondays, and Wednesdays, and every other Saturday.

Peace and Hearts and Toodles,
    WhiteCrowBlackDeer

Quote Posted by WhiteCrowBlackDeer (here)

haha, in no way way was i meaning that as a generalization towards 50+ year olds

You may fall under the "50+" category but you don't fall into the "believes that the government has YOUR best interests at heart, that they work tirelessly to make your life better" category.

usually the people I'm talking about have been around the "block" (as they say) a few times & because of this they think the saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is accurate when in fact it is extremely false. because of this attitude they absolutely know best (from there point of view) & are not open to anything that conflicts with what they have learned in their life, making it extremely difficult in trying to expand there awareness. btw i speak from experience with my mother... lol

34. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bongo (10th May 2012)

35. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member Nyce555's Avatar
    Thanks

I am 31 now and have a spiritually open minded mom, and although my parents were divorced, my dad introduced me and my brothers to sci fi at an early age. I read a lot of books on astronomy and had National Geographic magazines growing up. I think exposure starts at a young age. I didn't care for reading novels, but give me a book about the stars or things going on in nature and I was all over it. I feel I was lucky to have this exposure, because it built my foundation up to be open minded and to seek the truth.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Nyce555 For This Post:

RunningDeer (11th May 2012)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,286 times in 818 posts

Ahhh…the teen age years. This is probably the hardest and most important years of one’s life. These years are full of confusion and inspirations, their future begins here...

The peer pressure, the hormones/puberty, and the lingering sense of having to find your identity within a corrupt system are a lot to withstand as a young person. We all have been there. IMO, I think unbiased discussions is better than suggestions, teens desire to prove their worth and want to figure things out for themselves, therefore less lecturing and more guidance by displays of examples are always better.

Teens consider themselves grown and crave respect, we all did. So knowing this, I feel they need to operate through trial and error, learning from their own mistakes because hearing about something offers no true experience, and we all came here for the experience.

Just simply talking honestly and openly to teens is beneficial for all. Being more of a friend and less of a parent at this stage will give them that bridge to cross any obstacles in life. Be their foundation through your actions so they will be motivated to continue building the world we started to build for them. The worse we can do (and have done) is control them and force them to comply with a clueless wicked society. It’s not easy for teens these days; I sympathize and understand their pain and dilemmas.

Peace
    --
    Humans created so much wonder through their division, just imagine what they can do through Unity...

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Peace of Mind For This Post:

RunningDeer (11th May 2012)

+ Reply to Thread