+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast

Thread: Is smoking bad for you? Discuss...

1. Link to Post #41
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,791 times in 463 posts

Default Re: Is smoking bad for you? Discuss...

After working in a nursing home and cleaning out the gunk from the oxygen masks and pulling the thick slime out of their throat that they sometimes choke on, I'm glad I quit. xxx I respect everyone's opinions on smoking and it is a personal choice, I just feel bad for the family's who have to see a loved one like that and I feel bad for the people trying to care for them and trying to fix the mess that cigs have done to their body xxx

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pugwash84 For This Post:

Eram (23rd May 2012), Midnight Rambler (23rd May 2012), modwiz (29th July 2012), SKAWF (29th July 2012)

3. Link to Post #42
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,000 times in 370 posts

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    Quote Posted by scanner (here)
    When you all realise non , not one of us lives forever you'll undstand nothing , and I mean nothing we do is WRONG . How can it be ? We all end the same way . You drink , you die . You do drugs , you die . You live long , you die . you live short , you die . Bit of a patern here don't you think ?
    this logic always rings hollow to me. Sure we all die, but we don't all die coughing and choking, or gasping for air, or suffering in pain. We don't all spend the last 10 years of our lives in misery, so why inflict unnecessary damage to the physical body. It's a dishonor to your spiritual body.

But each has his own path and yours is respected.
    Not hollow at all , it's a statment of fact . We all die , but see my above post . How we die is a whole different post .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to scanner For This Post:

Eram (23rd May 2012)

5. Link to Post #43
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,371 times in 388 posts

As I recall, the guy who wrote Sugar Blues believed that flue cured Virginia tobacco (or tobacco that was not naturally dried) was far more dangerous. He reckoned that it was the starch found in virginia tobacco that killed and that was why the death rate from smoking was a lot less in the French (who smoke darker more natural tobacco) than everywhere else. I have just found 1 or 2 links about it. However I think it is better to assume that it is all unsafe. Comes down to sugar again.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3111,2740771

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...90325/abstract

http://exacteditions.theecologist.or.../308/6404/3/26

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to One For This Post:

conk (23rd May 2012), DNA (28th July 2012), Eram (23rd May 2012)

7. Link to Post #44
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turcurulin For This Post:

Agape (29th July 2012), DNA (28th July 2012), NancyV (29th July 2012)

9. Link to Post #45
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,983 times in 4,336 posts

I roll organic cigarettes. American spirit. I've been smoking for about a year. I
    I'm not addicted. Besides chemicals most tobacco is gmo. Most tobacco is cured withsugar as well

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

modwiz (29th July 2012), NancyV (29th July 2012), Turcurulin (28th July 2012)

11. Link to Post #46
    England Avalon Member SKIBADABOMSKI's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,518 times in 458 posts

Well since this thread has resurfaced I'll add that I have helped at least 30 plus people quit smoking and go for a classy alternative. Now please don't rush into the electric cig as they are advertising as they are just imitations of real cigs and they lack nicotine so you'll just end up smoking again. I'm talking about the ones in the shops. Throw away ones.

I posted earlier in this thread that I am using a GGTS. It's a classy little device and I have totally stopped smoking analogs.

Basically I can smoke anywhere and get a good throat hit and get my nicotine fix without all the toxic crap they shove into analogs. This is taking time to kick in with many people so I did a bit of digging and found that not only are the analog companies involved in shutting down liquid nicotine but also the Cancer research programs. Wow !!

Anyway, heres some information on it. This site is the best I could find. I haven't met anyone yet.. that once they try my gadget hasn't pressed me for information on how to obtain a good e-cig. I can't empathize more how stupidly easy it is to quit and save money and turn the system around by doing this. You can buy the perfect liquid of your choice online or become your own cook and DIY your own taste.

Anyway it's tough until you see a good device and try it. It just gets me riled up because you all grow your own veggies and stuff, even make your own shampoos ect ect .. you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out that the analog is simply a design. YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN !!!

The E-Cigarette Forum is the world's largest and most popular electronic cigarette website, with 250,000 pages and more than 100,000 posts on the forum each month. There are more e-cigarette reviews and e-cigarette tutorials here than anywhere else.

ECF is independent of any vendor or product or group. It is a resource for information on e-cigarettes, the global community, health and legal matters. The site is divided into two parts - the Forum and the InfoZone.

What is an e-cigarette ?

An electronic cigarette is a rechargeable battery powered personal vaporizer (PV) or inhaler, often in the form of a cigarette, and can contain either flavored refill liquid with or without nicotine. The nicotine strength can also be varied according to the user's requirement. The refill is usually called e-liquid. High-power models are also available that do not resemble an ordinary cigarette but instead look like a thick tube or a small box with a mouthpiece attached.

Ecigarettes are a modern way to replace smoking and obtain nicotine - an alternative to smoking tobacco cigarettes, desirable since they are likely to be several orders of magnitude less harmful. They can also be used without nicotine. The refill liquids contain about half a dozen ingredients that are all licensed for human consumption and considered acceptably safe, as against the 5,300 discovered so far in cigarette smoke of which many are known to be toxic and/or carcinogenic.

How do e-cigarettes work ?

All ecigarettes have a battery and a head unit. Rechargeable batteries are used, and the head (the end fittings at the mouthpiece end) consists of an atomizer coil which is heated by the battery, and a cartridge containing refill liquid. In some models the last two components are combined in a 'cartomizer'. When the switch is pressed, or in the case of auto models, when air is pulled through, the heating element vaporizes the liquid and produces a mist. You draw or pull air through it just like a tobacco cigarette. The water-based vapor contains flavoring, and nicotine if desired. No combustion is involved and nothing is lit - all that happens is a liquid is heated and vaporized. It's not smoking, but looks and feels like it.

Why use an e-cigarette ?

The main reason is consumer choice, as an alternative to tobacco cigarettes. The idea is to obtain the nicotine in a cool mist with a few well-known ingredients that are all approved for human consumption, instead of inhaling the smoke from burning plant materials, since it is known that smoking tobacco cigarettes has many health issues and perhaps around a one-in-three chance of early death. There is little or no smell, no second-hand smoke, no smell of smoke on your clothes and hair, and no risk of harming anyone else.

Who can use an e-cigarette ?

Electronic cigarettes are used by smokers over 18 who are looking for a better alternative. No one else should use one.
    Can I use one anywhere ?
    Definitely not - local regions such as cities can introduce byelaws that prohibit their use in public indoor areas. Anyone can allow or prohibit anything in their own premises, and some building owners or transport authorities prohibit them.

Are ecigarettes healthier ?

No one can say, because there are no long-term clinical trials or any other research that could verify or disprove such a statement. The latest version was invented in 2003 (older models exist) and have only been widely used since 2006. This is one of those things on which you have to make your own decision. However, many people regard the decision to inhale a cool mist with half a dozen ingredients, none of which are known to be toxic or carcinogenic, or alternatively inhale a bonfire, as what is popularly termed a no-brainer - which is why ecigarettes are taking the world by storm.

Current medical opinion is that use of e-cigarettes is less harmful than smoking, and this has been accepted by some national authorities. Opinion varies on exactly how much less harmful, and until some long-term data is available, the honest answer is, "We don't know". Use of an ecig is likely to have whatever risks inhaling a flavored mist with microscopic levels of carcinogens or toxins has, which are theoretically minuscule compared to smoking. Current medical opinion is that responsible consumption of nicotine equates with caffeine (coffee), although the individual may need their doctor to evaluate the risk for them.

Isn't nicotine harmful ?

Nicotine is not the harmful ingredient in tobacco, it is the smoke that kills. The smoke and combustion artefacts cause lung cancer, heart disease and many other illnesses. There is absolutely no medical evidence anywhere that nicotine is more harmful than coffee (caffeine).

It also needs to be appreciated that everyone tests positive for nicotine as it is a normal part of the diet. This is so important that it should be repeated: everyone tests positive for nicotine. Unless no vegetables are eaten, everyone has it in the bloodstream, in very small amounts, since it is a common ingredient in vegetables. A related material, nicotinic acid, is a vitamin - Niacin or Vitamin B3 - so to say it is alien, toxic or universally harmful is obviously untrue.

Without the smoke, 'smoking' is likely to be far less harmful. Nicotine is best avoided by those who are pregnant or have heart disease. You may want to avoid it if you also do not take caffeine or alcohol by drinking coffee, tea, wine or beer. Like these substances, taking more of it should probably be avoided, in a perfect world. Some people however find their lives are dysfunctional without nicotine, and an electronic cigarette is probably as good a way as any to supply it.

Are ecigs hard to buy ? What about shipping ?

Ecigarettes can be bought online or perhaps in a local store or bar. They are shipped overnight by many suppliers (check shipping arrangements and costs before purchase). Postage is as per normal consumer products. Except for a very few countries, and you know the sort, international postage is usually no problem even where sales are prohibited.

What e-cigarette should I buy ? Where can I buy ecigarettes ?

Well, you've come to the right place - ECF has the largest electronic cigarette market in the world, right here, with 80 featured vendors and hundreds of registered vendors, all of whom we carefully check for approved business practices and marketing standards. For your first model and where to get it, go to our Start Here page. Then check out the forum to find out more about the most important consumer product to hit the world since sliced bread!

If you have read this far then .. heres the link to the site.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/index.php

Also some great reviews of the best devices.

http://www.e-cig-reviews.com/

Ski-
    Last edited by SKIBADABOMSKI; 28th July 2012 at 23:23.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SKIBADABOMSKI For This Post:

Abhaya (29th July 2012), Kimberley (29th July 2012), modwiz (29th July 2012), NancyV (29th July 2012), Sir Eltor (29th July 2012)

13. Link to Post #47
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,716 times in 8,943 posts

Quote Posted by Connecting with Sauce (here)
    I do a lot with my intention as does a friend ...

Her view is that if she doesn't believe smoking is bad for her, then it won't be... using NLP, Intention etc etc...

I think there are toxins in tabacco 'they' add in...

So what are other's views on this... I'd be interested to know...

Is one of us deluded... or both of us
    Any excuses are good to avoid letting go of an addiction.... forget NLP etc. It won't clear the tar clogged cells. From an ex smoker.

Edited: i agree with 9eagle9 post below. However, because of chemicals, it won't clean up with intention alone, so my point remain.
    Last edited by Flash; 28th July 2012 at 23:44.

14. Link to Post #48
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,024 times in 3,784 posts

Tobacco has been a cure for respiratory infections for thousands of years. That is why we smoke it. If I get a cold or lung congestion I smoke more.

The chemicals in tobacco cause cancer not the tobacco. You are talking about 3k to 5k chemicals. If you smoke formaldehyde for a long time something is bound to happen. They had to add those chemicals to MAKE tobacco cancerous to coverup their own assholery.

How tobacco is grown (adulterated) makes big difference. It should be cured in the sun....BUT...now the sun is our big enemy too...it became our enemy right around the time tobacco did....mid to late 60's.

People detox their livers, their bloodstreams, anything but their lungs. if you smoke a lot ---detox your lungs. Even too much of relatively innocuous thing can be too much. So you detox to get rid of the excess. What do you detox with, homepathically, plants that are similar to tobacco--like Mullein.

Tobacco is very grounding; that's why they don't want you smoking it. Grounded people don't buy into the horse**** they peddle. If it is that lethal it should be off the market. They criminalized cocaine, and marijuana but not tobacco? Why?

My favorite means of initiating an excorcism is to blow organic tobacco smoke over the host. A lot of non smokers are just assholes and they certainly stay away from me....lol.

Archonic energies HATE pure tobacco. They will stay away from you as much as if you were smoking sweet grass or mullein.

Conversely parasitical energies very much like adulterated ptb tobacco, that's one of their babies.

Tobacco and the sun (which is , shockingly,just recently lethal and hazardous to your health after we've lived under it for thousands of years) is bad for your health only because the government wants to hide how they dicked around so irresponsibly with atomic energy back in the 40's. The cure for the 'sun' is cancerous. Sunscreen is cancerous. Radiation made by man can be roughly defined as fake sunlight. If you know what I mean and not everyone will know what I mean.

Lack of melatonin through genetically dicking around with things that shouldn't have been dicked with...makes the sun harmful. they get burned. It is not natural for people to be burned by the sun anymore than it is natural to be allergic to trees or pollen. Melatonin is also one of those things responsible for 3rd eye expression. We seeing a pattern emerge here?

Wholistically speaking 90 percent of lung cancers are not cancers. Most of them are white blood cell plaques. You can live the rest of your life with a plaque on your lungs. Someone doesn't' die of white cell plaques anymore than they die of warts...But they are treated as cancer. . How would you know?. My grandmother had 'lung ' cancer. We didn't tell her that because she was so old that there was no point in traumatizing her or forcing chemo on her. She didn't want to be treated for anything, she hated doctors. She lived for another 12 years with her fast growing lung cancer, and died of natural causes unrelated to cancer at all. Blissfully unaware that she had cancer.

Cancer of any kind is a relatively rare diseases and it always starts in the mind.

My step-grandmother started smoking at age five! She lived to be 97. She died of old age after smoking for 92 years. It was news to her that tobacco was bad for her. She didn't want a microwave in her house but she thought nothign of smoking two packs of unfiltered Winstons a day.

The treatments for lung cancer kill people.

You can NOT cure someone by compromising their immune system.

The treatments for sun related skin 'cancer' are lethal. I've had skin cancer for at least 10 years. When it was diagnosed I had a 40/60 chance, I needed surgery, I needed radiation, and I still have skin 'cancer'. It's a strangely ugly little heart shaped spot on my shoulder. The most damage it does is that its just ugly. But it reminds me that if believe something will kill you....it will.

I put another sun plant on it--golden seal and that's was that.

Do I think the sun gave me skin cancer. No. In my 30's I fell for the 'sun is bad for you bull****" and used sunscreen a few times. That's when I got it. It has carcinogens in it.

You shouldn't screen out the sun. Not even sun glasses should be worn, save for if the glare makes it hard to drive.

Tobacco is supposed cured IN the sun. Tobacco is a fire plant. A sun plant. The sun is the sun. I am miserable and depressed and sick when I am without sunlight.

Why are they attempting to dissuade us from the sun or anything related to it. It's essential to our all levels of our well being but now the 'sun is our enemy!"
    It's going to go supernova early next year and kill us all! The sun is in a symbiotic relationship with us..its not going to kill us.

It's not, really. If anyone hasn't noticed the sunlight this year is quite different from other years.

And tobacco is not what they told you it was.

My family has been growing tobacco since before I was born....when the Surgeon General (and what does the military have to do with Surgery? quite a lot actually...)
    claimed tobacco was bad for you in the 60's it was news to them.

http://organic-smoke.com/

It's not awful hard to find organic tobacco.

15. Link to Post #49
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,422 times in 3,394 posts

Some thoughts.
    I can only speak for myself, and I'm not even a smoker.
    But i can smell a commercial cigarette from a house next door with all the windows and doors shut,
    and it still makes me feel ill. So i was one of those lucky people that could never smoke to begin with,
    so never had to try and give it up.

When i saw the excellent movie The Insider,
    (1999 film directed by Michael Mann based on the true story of a 60 Minutes segment about tobacco industry whistleblower Jeffrey Wigand)
    and that scene where Jeffery Wigand testifies that cigarettes were designed to be a drug of dependency, i thought that right there,
    that should be enough to get people to quit, as they are being used big time by the tobacco industry.
    Which should be re- named to the " slow poisoning device industry" .

And what you said, MW was spot on, first the Tobacco Industry takes your money, then its Big Pharma
    so my comment to smokers is to at least be honest with yourself as to what is actually going on here.

Tobacco on its own is a sacred and ceremonial plant that was never designed to be used every day, (in terms of the original indigenous use).
    But with anything, balance is key. Like White Sage It's good in the pure sense for clearing energies, and maybe why in the first place it
    was picked up in the west, ( as people felt better after smoking it), maybe why also it was soon taken over by the Govs and bastardised, so it failed to work. And worse
    worked to make us attract lower energies, as all that other junk does, and they know this... just another way of looking at it, in the metaphysical sense..

I have also heard from the indigenous perspective, through an elder, that the plant spirit itself was not impressed to be abused and thus
    latched on and created addiction. Take it or leave it, but it is generally accepted that sacred plants are just that, sacred, and should be
    treated with respect, and in return they will respect you.

The thing that gets up my nose about smokers, (pun intended) , is they way they constantly justify thier reasons for doing it, and deny that
    they can't stop and are addicted to it. And yes quitting can make you ill for a time as your body has to detox, but it will at least give you
    some years of clean air, and reclaim your sovereign right over your own body, rather than having to be driven by a chemical, psychological, and emotional habit.
    I'm not saying its easy, but surely being free is one big reason to commit to the task.

It's also commonly used as form of self medication, to increase dopamine. I have know a stack of people that quit smoking only to find out that they had an
    underlying condition that it was masking. In which case they could then get about working through the root case of why they began in the first place.
    Same goes for alcohol here, it's often a form of self medication, the secondary rather then the primary issue.

Maybe the thread title should be a bit clearer, smoking what??
    Smoking pure tobacco, organic, and used with respect, is a very different question
    to putting in your body god knows what.

Last edited by astrid; 29th July 2012 at 00:50.
    The greatest privilege of a human life is to become a
    midwife to the awakening of the Soul in another person.”
    ~ Plato

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to astrid For This Post:

Andrew (29th July 2012), Carmody (29th July 2012), modwiz (29th July 2012), NancyV (29th July 2012), Turcurulin (29th July 2012)

17. Link to Post #50
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,371 times in 388 posts

Not had time to read the read the rest of the thread, however the author of Sugar Blues stated that flue dried or Virginia tobacco was much worse for you because of the starch left in such tobacco due to the drying process. The death rate in France the author stated was much lower because they did not smoke Virginia tobacco generally. Naturally dried tobacco was was much better for you according to the author.

Apologies, just noticed that I had already stated the above a while back on this post and had forgotten I had.
    Last edited by One; 29th July 2012 at 08:22.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to One For This Post:

marique3652 (29th July 2012)

19. Link to Post #51
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,384 times in 633 posts

i saw recently, a vid, which suggested that doctors dont really know why a human body should die.
    the best reason they could find..... was toxic overload.
    years of putting crap into our bodies.
    i dont know how true that is though, but it makes sense to me.

i spose each body has its own limits and tolerances...
    and not everything affects every body the same way.
    as has been said before... the body does clean itself,
    the key is not to take in more than than the system can remove.

sometimes.... minute quantities of deadly toxins can actually be good for us.

regarding the question of the thread........

i wont say that its bad for us. that seems relative to me.
    there are so many things out there, that are much more harmful,
    yet they carry no warnings.

like.... a gm seed, planted in ground that has chemical fertilizer in it.
    treated with pesticide....
    or a cow, given hormones, fed with ****e etc.
    there's not much out there that hasnt been f***ed about with in some way.

i would say that smoking isnt good for us if we do it too much.
    otherwise its no more risky than a lot of other things which we consider safe.

but from experience..... i have observed.....

if something is REALLY bad for us, they dont say much about it
    but they will overstate the dangers of things that pose no great risk.

lol.... the same people who say that smoking, or playing conkers in the school playground, is dangerous,
    lie to us to justify dropping bombs on men women and children all over the world.
    when i went there nothing happened!, i was bored out of my mind..................in the Twilight Zone.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SKAWF For This Post:

NancyV (29th July 2012)

21. Link to Post #52
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 times in 349 posts

Quote Posted by 9eagle9 (here)
    It's not, really. If anyone hasn't noticed the sunlight this year is quite different from other years.

off topic i know but that is something i have been noticing for quite sometime now....

Its positive i think.

peace.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Trd1 For This Post:

modwiz (29th July 2012), NancyV (29th July 2012)

23. Link to Post #53
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,846 times in 876 posts

Wow, a couple of great posts. I am currently dealing with the physical pain of packing, moving and unpacking pre back surgery while cutting back on cigs from 40 to 8 per day. I just can't financially afford this stinking addiction.

Juggling all that in my life is a bitch. Excuse me while I go smoke in my car before finishing this. Ahhhh. Four puffs and I feel more grounded. Ain't much fun quitting at 68 years old. Back in my day, it was acceptable to smoke in a tense board room meeting and didn't detract from one's power like cracking a few hard boiled eggs to handle hypoglycemia would have been.

Nowadays, I must enduring the "loving" concern and pressure of family and two generations indoctrinated on the evils of smoking. I am just so sick of these mind controlled nonsmokers and their "holier than thou" attitudes. TPTB sure picked a good target with their current divide and conquer campaign. Generally smokers suck down their frustration with smoke so the anti smoking smug ones have a target for all their frustration on topics which are much more complex. It's much easier for them to just see smoke and start with the anti smoking coughs, sneers and attacks while TPTB proceed with their nasty plans that these folks ignore.

I am just sick of the smug ones who are so self assured that they know how to live their lives correctly and thus feel they know how everyone should live their lives. They never push themselves to their limits, fail and move on in new directions to learn their next lessons. Instead, they settle for some pretty boring robot-like existences and when they get too bored, they gather together to get a friend or relative to a detox treatment at a Betty Ford type place and pat themselves on the back for their noble gesture. And that is about as deep as they go in a very troubled world.

Thank you for some posts that are not full of the usual crapola. After my surgery, I expect to be able to walk barefoot in the grass or sand without a walker and get on with the smoke free new chapter in my life where I can focus on what concerns me. I will be free of the smug arrogant ones and surround myself with people who are less judgmental as is shown in some of these posts. Thank you for being who you are.
    Last edited by grannyfranny100; 29th July 2012 at 03:32.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

NancyV (29th July 2012), SKAWF (29th July 2012), Snoweagle (29th July 2012), Turcurulin (29th July 2012)

25. Link to Post #54
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,024 times in 3,784 posts

It's find it more reassuring than alarming myself. I find it more apparent these this year than last year because I'm outside for the better part of the day but there was a rather abrupt cut off point where it became more noticeable in 2010. Part of this I'm sure is my locality, there has been no chemtrailing around here at all lately which accounts for much of it. . I'm quite dark skinned and even more so this year, but at the same time I do periodically get some over exposure and sun burn on my cheeks and tops of my shoulders. Not this year. My skin will feel very hot from absorbing so much sunlight for such long periods of time, but not a trace of sunburn. My daughter has fair-er skin but spends the same amount of time as me outside without the burns she used to get in the past.

I think its good stuff though.

Quote Posted by David Trd1 (here)

off topic i know but that is something i have been noticing for quite sometime now....

Its positive i think.

peace.

26. Link to Post #55
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

It's find it more reassuring than alarming myself. I find it more apparent these this year than last year because I'm outside for the better part of the day but there was a rather abrupt cut off point where it became more noticeable in 2010. Part of this I'm sure is my locality, there has been no chemtrailing around here at all lately which accounts for much of it. . I'm quite dark skinned and even more so this year, but at the same time I do periodically get some over exposure and sun burn on my cheeks and tops of my shoulders. Not this year. My skin will feel very hot from absorbing so much sunlight for such long periods of time, but not a trace of sunburn. My daughter has fair-er skin but spends the same amount of time as me outside without the burns she used to get in the past.

Its positive i think.

peace.
    I've noticed the same thing, though through different circumstances.

I went golfing yesterday, (I call it walking and drinking...) 5.5 hours in the Alaskan sun (supposedly thinner atmosphere and all that....) after not being in the sun for a LONG time (this summer (like the last few) has been very over cast, not many sunny days) and I didn't even feel a TWING of too much sun, I expected to be burnt.. but I wasn't at all, conversely my friend (whom I would label the most un"awake" (and i HATE the term "awake" but it serves its purpose here) individual I know was extremely sunburnt after a day of driving around with the top off his jeep)

I don't know what it means (hell I don't know much really) but this interested me, I should have been burnt at least a little bit... not sure if it's significant or not but it stuck in my mind.

and while that is completely off topic, I'm not a smoker (aside from the occasional alcohol driven smoke) I don't feel its bad, though everything in moderation right? how many "smokers" are moderate?
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

David Trd1 (29th July 2012)

28. Link to Post #56
    Thanks

Is smoking bad for you? Hmmmm....interesting question. I suppose one could say yes IF one could definitively say that smoking CAUSES harmful effects to the body. For example, if I stick my hand in boiling water, I will get burned regardless of my intent. This is true for every human on this planet as far as I'm aware. But smoking does not cause uniform effects to everyone who smokes. A person can be a light smoker and get lung or throat cancer or be a heavy smoker and never have any health issues. So to say that smoking causes cancer or disease is kind of silly. I don't think that necessarily means that it's good for you either. Smoking could contribute to existing issues making them worse? Or maybe people just overdo it like most substances we put in our bodies which leads to problems. As mentioned by others, to much of anything can be harmful. I know that for me smoking has been an on again off again thing. I have noticed that my desire to smoke is strongly linked to my mental and spiritual state. When I'm grounded and calm and feeling connected to the universe, I won't smoke for years at a time. But when I've allowed my life to become unbalanced, I feel the desire to take up the habit again. I don't know if it's the smoking that helps me relax, or my thinking that helps, but either way it does. Does this make it good? Not sure...but it does seem like its easier for me to get back to a better frame of mind faster when I'm relaxed.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WanderingRogue For This Post:

PurpleLama (3rd January 2016), TargeT (30th July 2012)

30. Link to Post #57
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

Smoking bad for you? Nah. Besides not taking smoking breaks is for suckers. Who can resist the erotic allure of cigarette smoke in someone's hair or the soothing phlegmatic bark of chronic bronchitis? And, with all of the tax on cigarettes, we are certainly helping America be great with our revenue. Our military costs a lot of money and smoking helps fund the war of terror. Keeping us safe to smoke.

I might consider taking up smoking if I could afford it. I'll just have to content myself with nice clothes and guitars instead.

Woe is me.
    Last edited by modwiz; 29th July 2012 at 12:36.

31. Link to Post #58
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

What an up lighting discussion.
    I smoke and I get more fresh air than most---im forbidden to smoke in the house or within a hundred yards of It.
    My wife can smell smoke at 100 paces.
    With me its a balance--- smoking gets me out in all weather--- adds something to my singing voice----BUTT. I cant hold the notes as long.
    I dont like the smell of smoke and even though I rarely smoke in the house no amount of incense get rid of it-- my wife's incensed and claims every illness she suffers is down to second hand smoke. I pay for that--smiling. She gets it for free.
    I only smoke pure tobacco not chemical loaded ones.
    I have no doubt that to varying degrees smoking is less than healthy and very expensive now.
    I you are prone to cancer or other lung problems it could just tip the balance the wrong way.
    I take refuge in that all my forefather lived into their 90s. Some smoked and a few heavy drinkers.
    Heredity plays a large part.

I may stop yet again-- I managed 15 years at one point.

Regards Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Fred Steeves (29th July 2012), modwiz (29th July 2012), Nickolai (29th July 2012), PurpleLama (3rd January 2016), Turcurulin (29th July 2012)

33. Link to Post #59
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    What an up lighting discussion.
    I smoke and I get more fresh air than most---im forbidden to smoke in the house or within a hundred yards of It.
    My wife can smell smoke at 100 paces.
    With me its a balance--- smoking gets me out in all weather--- adds something to my singing voice----BUTT. I cant hold the notes as long.
    I dont like the smell of smoke and even though I rarely smoke in the house no amount of incense get rid of it-- my wife's incensed and claims every illness she suffers is down to second hand smoke. I pay for that--smiling. She gets it for free.
    I only smoke pure tobacco not chemical loaded ones.
    I have no doubt that to varying degrees smoking is less than healthy and very expensive now.
    I you are prone to cancer or other lung problems it could just tip the balance the wrong way.
    I take refuge in that all my forefather lived into their 90s. Some smoked and a few heavy drinkers.
    Heredity plays a large part.

I may stop yet again-- I managed 15 years at one point.

Regards Chris
    As a non-smoker, I find the natural, untreated tobacco to be tolerable and not irritant. The commercial cigarettes are almost as bad as burning plastic.

Lastly, quantity of tar ingested plays a huge part in health impact. Very light smoking, 4-5 cigs a day is absorbable and does not create bronchitis.

Smoking natural tobacco would go a long way in peace making, if some non-smokers stop being hysterical about things. Commercial cigarettes are intolerable toxic emitters and deserve every bit of protest they receive, IMO.

34. Link to Post #60
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 times in 349 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)

Its positive i think.

peace.
    I've noticed the same thing, though through different circumstances.

I went golfing yesterday, (I call it walking and drinking...) 5.5 hours in the Alaskan sun (supposedly thinner atmosphere and all that....) after not being in the sun for a LONG time (this summer (like the last few) has been very over cast, not many sunny days) and I didn't even feel a TWING of too much sun, I expected to be burnt.. but I wasn't at all, conversely my friend (whom I would label the most un"awake" (and i HATE the term "awake" but it serves its purpose here) individual I know was extremely sunburnt after a day of driving around with the top off his jeep)

I don't know what it means (hell I don't know much really) but this interested me, I should have been burnt at least a little bit... not sure if it's significant or not but it stuck in my mind.

and while that is completely off topic, I'm not a smoker (aside from the occasional alcohol driven smoke) I don't feel its bad, though everything in moderation right? how many "smokers" are moderate?
    A thread from a while back with some similar stories,could be of interest.....

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...you-see-it----

Peace.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast