+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Montreal Students Defy Anti-Protest Law

1. Link to Post #61
    Canada Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Montreal Students Defy Anti-Protest Law

Half an hour until the 'casseroles' come back out to play.

At this juncture, I'm personally not very concerned about any possible untoward agenda..too moved and inspired to be concerned.

The overwhelming positive momentum leaves little room for that.

We'll see.

Onward

I am optimistic.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Free Will For This Post:

gigha (27th May 2012), Holly Lindin (29th May 2012), Kerrigan (27th May 2012), Samsara (27th May 2012), sandy (28th May 2012), Spacyman (29th May 2012)

3. Link to Post #62
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Pot and pans where out in the streets of Repentigny, Quebec. Smaller towns are jumping in. There is a movement picking up. There is no dough!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NewFounderHome For This Post:

Free Will (27th May 2012), gigha (29th May 2012), Holly Lindin (29th May 2012), Kerrigan (27th May 2012), Samsara (27th May 2012), sandy (28th May 2012)

5. Link to Post #63
    Canada Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

An open letter to the mainstream english media

http://translatingtheprintempserable...-english-media

¤=[Post Update]=¤

An Open Letter to the Mainstream English Media:

Thank you; you are a little late to the party, and you are still missing the mark a lot of the time, but in the past few days, you have published some not entirely terrible articles and op-eds about what’s happening in Quebec right now. Welcome to our movement.

Some of you have even started mentioning that when people are rounded up and arrested each night, they aren’t all criminals or rioters. Some of you have admitted that perhaps limiting our freedom of speech and assembly is going a little bit too far. Some of you are no longer publishing lies about the popular support that you seemed to think our government had. Not all of you, mind you, but some of you are waking up.

That said, here is what I have not seen you publish yet: stories about joy; about togetherness; about collaboration; about solidarity. You write about our anger, and yes, we are angry. We are angry at our government, at our police and at you. But none of you are succeeding in conveying what it feels like when you walk down the streets of Montreal right now, which is, for me at least, an overwhelming sense of joy and togetherness.

News coverage of Quebec almost always focuses on division: English vs. French; Quebec-born vs. immigrant; etc. This is the narrative that has shaped how people see us as a province, whether or not it is fair. But this is not what I feel right now when I walk down the street. At 8pm, I rush out of the house with a saucepan and a ladle, and as I walk to meet my fellow protesters, I hear people emerge from their balconies and the music starts. If you do not live here, I wish I could properly convey to you what it feels like; the above video is a start. It is magic. It starts quietly, a suggestion here and there, and it builds. Everybody on the street begins to smile. I get there, and we all—young and old, children and students and couples and retirees and workers and weird misfits and dogs and, well, neighbours—we all grin the widest grins you have ever seen while dancing around and making as much noise as possible. We are almost ecstatic with the joy of letting loose like this, of voicing our resistance to a government that seeks to silence us, and of being together like this.

I have lived in my neighbourhood for five years now, and this is the most I have ever felt a part of the community; the lasting impact that these protests will have on how people relate to each other in the city is deep and incredible. I was born and raised in Montreal, and I have always loved this city, I have always told people that it is the best city in the world, but I have truly never loved it as much as I do right now.

The first night that I went to a casseroles (pots and pans) demonstration, at the centre of the action—little children ecstatically blowing whistles, a young couple handing out extra pots and pans to passers-by, a yoga teacher who paused his class to have everyone join—I saw a bemused couple, banging away, but seemingly confused about something. When we finished, they asked me, “how did you find us?” I replied that I had checked the map that had been posted online of rendez-vous spots, and theirs was the nearest to my house. “Last night we were all alone,” they told me. They had no idea it had been advertized online. This is what our revolution looks like: someone had clearly ridden around our neighbourhood, figured out where people were protesting, and marked them for the rest of us. This is a revolution of collaboration. Of solidarity.

The next night the crowd had doubled. Tonight we will be even more.

I come home from these protests euphoric. The first night I returned, I sat down on my couch and I burst into tears, as the act of resisting, loudly, with my neighbours, so joyfully, had released so much tension that I had been carrying around with me, fearing our government, fearing arrest, fearing for the future. I felt lighter. Every night, I exchange stories with friends online and find out what happened in their neighbourhoods. These are the kinds of things we say to each other: “if I loved my city any more right now, my heart would burst.” We use the word “love” a whole lot. We feel empowered. We feel connected. We feel like we are going to win.

Why don’t you write about this? This incredible feeling? Another example I can give you is this very blog. Myself and a few friends began it as a way of disseminating information in English about what was happening here in Quebec, and within hours, literally hours, volunteers were writing me offering to help. Every day, people submit translations to me anonymously; I have no idea who they are, they just want to do something. They come from everywhere. They translate what they think is important to get out there into the world. People email me corrections, too. They email me advice. They email me encouragement. This blog runs on solidarity and utter human kindness.

This is what Quebec looks like right now. Every night is teargas and riot cops, but it is also joy, laughter, kindness, togetherness, and beautiful music. Our hearts are bursting. We are so proud of each other; of the spirit of Quebec and its people; of our ability to resist, and our ability to collaborate.

Why aren’t you writing about this? Does joy not sell as well as violence? Does collaboration not sell as well as confrontation? You can have your cynicism; our revolution is sincere.

Sincerely,

The Administrator of Translating the printemps érable.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Free Will For This Post:

dAkapacity (29th May 2012), enfoldedblue (27th May 2012), gigha (29th May 2012), Holly Lindin (29th May 2012), Kerrigan (27th May 2012), Samsara (27th May 2012), sandy (28th May 2012), spiritwind (28th May 2012)

7. Link to Post #64
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,140 times in 1,005 posts

I tried reading the above letter to my partner, but had to stop myself many times in order to calm down and stop crying. As someone who grew up in Montreal it is so wonderful to see people getting over the indoctrination of division (english/french etc) and comming together in a show of love and unity...truly beautiful!! Thanks for posting.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enfoldedblue For This Post:

gigha (29th May 2012), Holly Lindin (29th May 2012), sandy (28th May 2012), seko (29th May 2012)

9. Link to Post #65
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,616 times in 1,246 posts

www.youtube.com/watch?

I heard yesterday was about 500K but can't find a good video.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 161803398 For This Post:

gigha (29th May 2012), Holly Lindin (29th May 2012), Samsara (28th May 2012), sandy (29th May 2012)

11. Link to Post #66
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,616 times in 1,246 posts

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 161803398 For This Post:

Samsara (28th May 2012), sandy (29th May 2012), seko (29th May 2012)

13. Link to Post #67
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

There are so few police then if the crowd would turn around and want to go beyond a police line, there would be no match. Simply no match.
    In many towns around the province of Quebec, we see young, families and seniors join and the nicest message is then they all turn around and say to the government and police. Enough, enough is enough.

We the population decide of what we want. We the population say then major changes are needed.

The government of Quebec did re-start discussions with the student’s todays. They think if they resolve the student issue then all will be finished. Well I think they did open a can of worms and they sure as hell cannot put the cover back on top of it! That pressure coming out of that cane is what might give good needed changes.

It is so beyond only students now. Lawyers where out in the streets todays saying then this law is non-constitutional, that is it!

The police are getting tired, they have been at this for a will now. Just tonight in Montreal the protectors broke in 3 or 4 groups that took of in different directions. That puts a toll on the police, they just can't follow all that is going on. They put all the police they can in the streets, but there is just to much protectors and the protectors change route and strategy all the time.

The police are starting to back off on the protectors. They are probably noticing then they will simply not gain control by beating the protectors with clubs, that just don't work. It's sad, it took them a will to learn that. Less they use the clubs, less broken windows and fires, both go hand in hand.

We see more and more small towns jumping on board. After supper folk's go out and walk with there pot's and pan's and making noise and you then see other folks join in, it is truly nice to see. The police are at the head of a crowed and the police turns at the next street at right and the crowd starts to run toward the left. The messages are clear, very clear!

Peace to all!

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NewFounderHome For This Post:

161803398 (30th May 2012), dAkapacity (29th May 2012), gigha (29th May 2012), Holly Lindin (29th May 2012), Samsara (29th May 2012)

15. Link to Post #68
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 times in 1,310 posts

GO QUEBEC GO!!! Leading the way for all Canadians>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>soon!! Love You Guys and Gals
    Love and Light Always/Sandy

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Post:

161803398 (30th May 2012), gigha (29th May 2012), Holly Lindin (29th May 2012), Robert J. Niewiadomski (29th May 2012), Samsara (29th May 2012)

17. Link to Post #69
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Thanks for this post Free Will ! This is a beautiful and powerful open letter. Did it get picked up by any (semi) msm newspaper?

Also the video in your link gives a strong impression of the Quebec manifestation. It radiates joy and connection.

http://www.quebecprotest.com/post/23...-english-media

Quote Posted by Free Will (here)

[/COLOR]An Open Letter to the Mainstream English Media:

Thank you; you are a little late to the party, and you are still missing the mark a lot of the time, but in the past few days, you have published some not entirely terrible articles and op-eds about what’s happening in Quebec right now. Welcome to our movement.

Some of you have even started mentioning that when people are rounded up and arrested each night, they aren’t all criminals or rioters. Some of you have admitted that perhaps limiting our freedom of speech and assembly is going a little bit too far. Some of you are no longer publishing lies about the popular support that you seemed to think our government had. Not all of you, mind you, but some of you are waking up.

That said, here is what I have not seen you publish yet: stories about joy; about togetherness; about collaboration; about solidarity. You write about our anger, and yes, we are angry. We are angry at our government, at our police and at you. But none of you are succeeding in conveying what it feels like when you walk down the streets of Montreal right now, which is, for me at least, an overwhelming sense of joy and togetherness.

News coverage of Quebec almost always focuses on division: English vs. French; Quebec-born vs. immigrant; etc. This is the narrative that has shaped how people see us as a province, whether or not it is fair. But this is not what I feel right now when I walk down the street. At 8pm, I rush out of the house with a saucepan and a ladle, and as I walk to meet my fellow protesters, I hear people emerge from their balconies and the music starts. If you do not live here, I wish I could properly convey to you what it feels like; the above video is a start. It is magic. It starts quietly, a suggestion here and there, and it builds. Everybody on the street begins to smile. I get there, and we all—young and old, children and students and couples and retirees and workers and weird misfits and dogs and, well, neighbours—we all grin the widest grins you have ever seen while dancing around and making as much noise as possible. We are almost ecstatic with the joy of letting loose like this, of voicing our resistance to a government that seeks to silence us, and of being together like this.

I have lived in my neighbourhood for five years now, and this is the most I have ever felt a part of the community; the lasting impact that these protests will have on how people relate to each other in the city is deep and incredible. I was born and raised in Montreal, and I have always loved this city, I have always told people that it is the best city in the world, but I have truly never loved it as much as I do right now.

The first night that I went to a casseroles (pots and pans) demonstration, at the centre of the action—little children ecstatically blowing whistles, a young couple handing out extra pots and pans to passers-by, a yoga teacher who paused his class to have everyone join—I saw a bemused couple, banging away, but seemingly confused about something. When we finished, they asked me, “how did you find us?” I replied that I had checked the map that had been posted online of rendez-vous spots, and theirs was the nearest to my house. “Last night we were all alone,” they told me. They had no idea it had been advertized online. This is what our revolution looks like: someone had clearly ridden around our neighbourhood, figured out where people were protesting, and marked them for the rest of us. This is a revolution of collaboration. Of solidarity.

The next night the crowd had doubled. Tonight we will be even more.

I come home from these protests euphoric. The first night I returned, I sat down on my couch and I burst into tears, as the act of resisting, loudly, with my neighbours, so joyfully, had released so much tension that I had been carrying around with me, fearing our government, fearing arrest, fearing for the future. I felt lighter. Every night, I exchange stories with friends online and find out what happened in their neighbourhoods. These are the kinds of things we say to each other: “if I loved my city any more right now, my heart would burst.” We use the word “love” a whole lot. We feel empowered. We feel connected. We feel like we are going to win.

Why don’t you write about this? This incredible feeling? Another example I can give you is this very blog. Myself and a few friends began it as a way of disseminating information in English about what was happening here in Quebec, and within hours, literally hours, volunteers were writing me offering to help. Every day, people submit translations to me anonymously; I have no idea who they are, they just want to do something. They come from everywhere. They translate what they think is important to get out there into the world. People email me corrections, too. They email me advice. They email me encouragement. This blog runs on solidarity and utter human kindness.

This is what Quebec looks like right now. Every night is teargas and riot cops, but it is also joy, laughter, kindness, togetherness, and beautiful music. Our hearts are bursting. We are so proud of each other; of the spirit of Quebec and its people; of our ability to resist, and our ability to collaborate.

Why aren’t you writing about this? Does joy not sell as well as violence? Does collaboration not sell as well as confrontation? You can have your cynicism; our revolution is sincere.

Sincerely,

The Administrator of Translating the printemps érable.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dAkapacity For This Post:

161803398 (30th May 2012), gigha (29th May 2012), Samsara (29th May 2012)

19. Link to Post #70
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Last night they did arrest 83 protesters in Quebec city who where at the building where the negotiations where undergoing with the students. They did arrest these folks, not for braking something, not for a real crime. No they where arrested for a non legal protestation. Quebec city is really pitiful.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NewFounderHome For This Post:

161803398 (30th May 2012), gigha (29th May 2012), Samsara (29th May 2012), sandy (30th May 2012)

21. Link to Post #71
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Take a look at the track record of the Quebec Liberal's. http://www.liberaux.net/

This makes my stomach sick.
    Last edited by NewFounderHome; 29th May 2012 at 23:33.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NewFounderHome For This Post:

161803398 (30th May 2012), Samsara (30th May 2012), sandy (30th May 2012), Spacyman (30th May 2012)

23. Link to Post #72
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,706 times in 8,941 posts

Quote Posted by NewFounderHome (here)
    Take a look at the track record of the Quebec Liberal's. http://www.liberaux.net/

This makes my stomach sick.
    This makes me sick too. And all too true.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

161803398 (30th May 2012), gigha (30th May 2012), Samsara (30th May 2012)

25. Link to Post #73
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

A well spoken French kid that does a resume of some facts.

https://youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=uCpyjwVroxc

26. The Following User Says Thank You to NewFounderHome For This Post:

Samsara (30th May 2012)

27. Link to Post #74
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,107 times in 577 posts

A well spoken French kid that does a resume of some facts.
    English transcript:

Quote So the banks, in their infinite power, now control our government, which means that there’s a regime of terror that has be instilled here in order to keep students to protest against a tuition hike. And what this tuition hike means in the end of the day, is that the rich can pay it off right away – their 5 000$ per semester – whereas the poor have to take out loans at around 9% interest. And now they’re saying that they’re offering us a gift by spreading out the payments on a schedule that is proportional to our income. So now instead of taking 8 years, as was the case in the previous regime, to pay off our tuition fees, we’ll take 40, 50, 60, 70 years to pay off our tuition fees. Until death, if that’s needed. Imagine the interest on a loan of 5 000$ per year.

An undergraduate degree, just to feed ourselves, to have a dwelling, the cost of subsistence make it so that instead of taking 3 years in a normal scenario, it takes us 5 years [to complete a degree] at the rate the fees are at right now.

They often say that we have the lowest fees in North America, but we also have the lowest salaries in North America and we pay very heavy taxes, and the social pact that has always been in effect here intended for the elders to pay for the youth to study in qualified disciplines in order to have jobs with good salaries later on, such as nursing, engineering, geographer, sociologist, anthropologist, these professions will enrich society, will allow the state to generate more fiscal revenues, as in more income tax, and that’s what will allow for us to have nurses to take care of us when we’re dying, to have quality care for our seniors, to have retirement homes.

And now what they want is for the youth to be less likely to go to university, because in our current regime, if we go into professional training – interjection: We need workers – it costs next to nothing. I’m not taking anything away from their professions, but people are needed to reflect on society and to help it progress. And education isn’t an individual choice, it’s a collective choice. In my opinion, it’s an inter-generational pact that should be sacred. And income tax is there for that. Income tax is the employed workers’ revenue. It’s therefore money that the state already has in its coffers. If it invest 200$M, that’s money that it already has, it’s not being borrowed, it’s not paying interest on it. Now they want to put it on the students’ backs, who will in turn pay 9, 10, 12% – we don’t know what kind of economic regime is awaiting us. It’s a scandal!

And to see that the riot squad has been sent against us, that the mass media is against us by inventing bogus surveys. I always read the little notices at the bottom of the web pages. They are surveys that are conducted over the internet, they’re answered by the members of the party in power. And now they put it on the front page of La Presse and tell us that 60% of the population is backing them! It’s a scandal! I’m revolted!

And to see that we’re throwing tear gas on children who are supposed to be sacred, they’re the next hope. In the West, when you injure a child, it’s a sacrilege, and now the population looks at us as though we’re the terrorists. I am outraged!

And I believe in the republic. A government that has a separation of power, between the legislative, the juridical, the judicial. Now we see the premier appropriating the juridical power, appropriating the political power, the legislative power, and it’s completely aberrant. And let’s get rid of the monarchy. It’s time to stop all privileges. Education is a sacred possession that belongs to everyone – interjection: especially the next generation. And I am revolted. Voilà! And I hope that all the people will rise up to form a great alliance of free and educated people! Absolutely.
    http://www.quebecprotest.com/post/23...banks-in-their

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Samsara For This Post:

dAkapacity (30th May 2012), DeDukshyn (30th May 2012), Kerrigan (31st May 2012), NewFounderHome (31st May 2012)

29. Link to Post #75
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

A must see!

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Another must see! DVD Gouverne(mental) « Anonymous Quebec »

Popular world faces here in Quebec at a Desmarais party.

Get these video's out there.
    Last edited by NewFounderHome; 31st May 2012 at 01:32.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewFounderHome For This Post:

Samsara (31st May 2012), Spacyman (31st May 2012)

31. Link to Post #76
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Another must see! DVD Gouverne(mental) « Anonymous Quebec »

Popular world faces here in Quebec at a Desmarais party.

Get these video's out there.
    Including George H. W. Bush (around 19:32 and more if you have the stomach to watch that much). A lavishly sickening party.

Can't wait to see what other secrets Anonymous Québec will be distributing.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Samsara For This Post:

NewFounderHome (1st June 2012)

33. Link to Post #77
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Casseroles in Vancouver:

Casseroles in Toronto:

Casseroles in New York:

Casseroles in St. John's:

... and more.

I wonder what's cooking ?

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Samsara For This Post:

NewFounderHome (1st June 2012)

35. Link to Post #78
    Thanks

From David Icke's website: Lawyers join students in protest against Quebec Bill 78

"Every facet, every department of your mind, is to be programmed by you; and unless you assume your rightful responsibility, and begin to program your own mind, the world will program it for you." - the Crystal Method

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kerrigan For This Post:

NewFounderHome (1st June 2012), Samsara (1st June 2012)

37. Link to Post #79
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

The population still does not see the bigger picture! Of whom they (The government leaders) work for.

The population need to wake up!

There are still some folks that say, the noise of the protestors must stop. But these same people do not wakeup, they are still looking at their same old little self, me this and me that and me,me,me,me….

There will be the Canadian grand prix 8-10 July. Does the provincial government really think then the protestors will not be showing them self’s during the Grand Prix, Really!

I guess the government is playing a game on the population, what is the subject in the front prevents the population from seeing some subject going on in the back ground. Like what? Well maybe passing some deals for the PLAN NORD that would not been popular with the population if there would net have been a big subject in the new.

Let’s keep our eyes open. I’m under the impression then there are many thing going on at the same time and then that is why the government is stretching this story. They might just be covering up other hot stories.

Let’s try to pull them out in the open. They don’t want that but how cares about them.

It is nice to see all the families and elders and kids go in the streets, having fun, the energy is of having a common goal, the feeling is very good.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to NewFounderHome For This Post:

Samsara (1st June 2012)

39. Link to Post #80
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

I’m noticing then the population of Quebec would need to do something new.

They would need to stand up, they have done it in different occasion in history of this province.

The ordinary population would need to urgently create a new political movement. But they would need to be all ordinary people, no career politician, no puppet of the elites, Desmarais, or having any ties to any high anything. Ordinary folk to take back our government’s and weed out all corruption. There might be a lot of the elites infiltrated true all of the provincial structure that would need to be clean out.

We will need to do what Iceland did.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to NewFounderHome For This Post:

Samsara (1st June 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 4 5 LastLast