Thread: Incarceration as a form of vengeance

1. Link to Post #41
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,098 times in 2,584 posts

Default Re: Incarceration as a form of vengeance

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)
    The business/profit virus... AKA Greed:

Slave labor: Prison food contractors funded efforts to combat marijuana legalization

John Vibes Mint Press News Tue, 25 Oct 2016 13:50 UTC

An inmate makes a sandwich while working in the employees’ cafeteria at Coxsackie Correctional Facility in Coxsackie, N.Y.

Food Services of America, a subsidiary of Services Group of America is funding efforts to keep marijuana illegal. It makes sense, considering that a vast majority of America's prisoners are locked in prison on marijuana charges, and the company stands to gain a lot of business from the laws staying the same.

Marijuana.com reported that the company donated $80,000 to a campaign committee opposing the legal cannabis measure on Arizona's November ballot.

Services Group of America has been criticized in the past for providing food to prisons that failed to meet basic nutritional requirements.

The report also indicated that the Arizona state Chamber of Commerce contributed $498,000 to the same campaign week. The effort also received a half million dollar donation from opioid maker Insys Therapeutics as well as sizeable contributions from various players in the alcohol industry.

The influence that the alcohol and pharmaceutical industries have on keeping marijuana illegal has been well documented, but the influence of prison contractors is rarely discussed.

The prison industry is one of the fastest growing and top-earning businesses in the United States. In the past three decades, this enterprise has grown into a monstrous system of oppression that now houses over 2 and a half million people in the US. This number is, by far, the largest prison population in the world. No country on earth has as many inmates as the "land of the free."

Ironic isn't it? Since 1991 the violent crime rate in America has dropped at least 20%, while the amount of people in prison has increased by 50% in that time. These numbers show that the rapid growth in the prison population is primarily due to over prosecution of nonviolent crimes.

This has nothing to do with "cleaning up the streets" or making our society safer — it is all about money and control. The prison system as it stands now does not make our society any safer but instead turns average nonviolent offenders into hardened criminals by exposing them to such a harsh environment.

The sad truth is that the way our prison system has been structured has actually outlawed more than half of the US population. Nonviolent offenders have no place behind bars. The savage conditions of prison will turn most people into violent offenders once they get out. Which is exactly what the prison establishment wants - return customers.

This establishment is the collection of state and quasi-state/private industries that make up the "prison industrial complex." Billions of dollars are made every year in this industry. One company, Wackenhut Corrections, makes over a billion dollars a year and they aren't even the biggest prison service in the country.

These numbers also don't take into consideration the many satellite businesses that surround this industry. There are over 1,000 vendors that specifically sell correctional paraphernalia. Even local phone companies cash in on the operation. The companies install payphones for free because those phones can generate $15,000 per year from each inmate making a phone call every day.

Those companies are just the tip of the iceberg. That isn't even counting the police, lawyers, wardens, politicians and food distributors that line their pockets through the incarceration of peaceful Americans.

All of these organizations have a distinct interest in keeping nonviolent people in jail. So, it should come as no surprise a prison contractor is working to keep marijuana illegal.

They are just making innocent people appear guilty. Those who profit in these unethical practices should be restrained in educational institutions (like jails, only with a purpose to rehabilitate their values) until their conscience works properly.

MM

Last edited by Hervé; 25th November 2017 at 20:17. Reason: Cleaned up duplicate postings.
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Carmody (12th July 2018), Hervé (25th November 2017), Pam (18th October 2018)

3. Link to Post #42
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

I'm bumping this because it's damn good stuff. Carmody and Ernie are invaluable.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (3rd July 2018), Foxie Loxie (10th July 2018), Michelle Marie (12th July 2018), Pam (18th October 2018)

5. Link to Post #43
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Agreed, Val!! Let's see....why was Dinesh D'souza incarcerated?!!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Michelle Marie (12th July 2018), Pam (18th October 2018), Valerie Villars (10th July 2018)

7. Link to Post #44
    Thanks

He was incarcerated for having given some money as a campaign contribution, probably to some Republican election campaign. He violated some obscure and almost never enforced campaign contribution law which is only enforced if you piss off certain people. It wasn't much as I recall.

It was obvious they were out to get him for being out-spoken about the Democratic Party's real intentions, aspirations and history.

I want to emphasize this is the way he presents it but after having watched his documentary, I can believe that's the way it really went down.
    Last edited by Valerie Villars; 10th July 2018 at 20:38.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (11th July 2018), Michelle Marie (12th July 2018), Pam (18th October 2018)

9. Link to Post #45
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Sorry, Val...that was rather a rhetorical question!! It is simply astounding how many HAVE been incarcerated by the Swamp Creatures!! It is amazing how this Titanic is beginning to turn around after being headed in the same direction for SO many years!!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Michelle Marie (12th July 2018), Pam (18th October 2018), Valerie Villars (11th July 2018)

11. Link to Post #46
    Thanks

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (12th July 2018), Michelle Marie (12th July 2018), Pam (18th October 2018)

13. Link to Post #47
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,319 times in 10,234 posts

Well, they needed an enemy, a lower caste new enemy. (their thinking, not mine)

So they imported the problem. Forcibly imported the problem. At least it might be possible to interpret it that way.

So a fascist reboot of North America and Europe. Europe gets to be united in the process.

Then both descend on the common enemy, in the middle east. And go to war with the far east, at the same time. Openly and semi-silently economically, and so on.

Canada legalizes cannabis and we see other parts of the system fighting back. Like new laws about detection of use of cannabis, mouth swabs.

Well, mouth swabs can be used to collect DNA as well. That will be struck down fairly fast as an illegal enterprise. No mouth swabs.

At a road side check, random or otherwise...say no to mouth swabs. It might take a few years for the charge to clear, but the mouth swab (or blood collection) must always be a no (denied), if you don't want your DNA collected.

The Cannabis laws in canada set the stage for the destruction/erosion of the USA's Military industrial complex's financial means to an end, which is excessive incarceration.

So they speed up the dissolution of the underlying fiances of the continent itself.

Enter Trump and trade wars, to break the financial/economic system apart and bring on the downturn more quickly. Chaos, so they can run a system of their design through it. They have to make the downturn happen before a system can right itself. Otherwise their door of an opportunity will close.

Then there is this, slowing reform and correction down (keeping the ugly up and going):

The 9.9 Percent Is the New American Aristocracy

The class divide is already toxic, and is fast becoming unbridgeable. You’re probably part of the problem.

(Atlantic magazine article)

You appear to be looking at a slow motion war, with the entire world as the ground and fodder of it.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (6th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th July 2018), Hervé (12th July 2018), JRS (10th August 2018), Michelle Marie (12th July 2018), Pam (18th October 2018), petra (17th October 2018), Sophocles (12th July 2018), Valerie Villars (14th July 2018)

15. Link to Post #48
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    My take on the whole matter is simple: no one should ever be imprisoned. Instead, there should only be two courses of action, two choices - a quick and merciful death or real, true, fair rehabilitation.

I'm interested to see what others may think.
    Any opinions?
    I got as far as the above paragraph and don't need to go any farther yet. I already agree, and I already have my contributions.

This kind of connects into this Justifying Murder thread which I started a while back.

At the time I wrote that, it was the main thing on my mind. How we choose to deal with criminals as a whole is important! This is a huge factor in our evolution as a species.

I was just searching for "vengeance" all by itself, and this thread came up.

Maybe I am a potential murderer, but I sure as heck wouldn't be a vengeful one! The difference is Mercy.

It's impossible for me to forgive someone who's not legitimately sorry (as in they won't do it again), mostly because I'd feel like an idiot for doing so. It's also impossible to know how they're *really* feeling - and that's where we get stuck.

I'm not vengeful (I can't recall a single time!) and I generally don't like vengeful people either.... unless those are the people who are standing up for my (or our) rights.

Maybe vengeance isn't as bad as I thought it was. Other people's so called vengeance can trigger feelings of love, happiness and thankfulness in me....!
    I'll never forget the dream I had (described in the murder thread at post #11). I was just so thankful to be FREE

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (18th October 2018), Pam (18th October 2018), Valerie Villars (17th October 2018)

17. Link to Post #49
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,696 times in 3,333 posts

I really do think that most people can be rehabilitated. In the US we make it so ridiculously hard for anyone that has a felony conviction to gain employment or housing that is greatly increases the probability of them returning to a prison setting. I also believe there are a few who will refuse rehabilitation or simply cannot be. I do think that keeping them away from others is the better way. If you are a predator while incarcerated you need to be isolated.

Incarcerating drug addicts is big business. They are one of the few groups that PC doesn't care to turn into victims. It is absolutely pathetic to lock up drug addicts and alcoholics just for possession or use.

Prison for profit is a really bad idea. People will just become fodder for the mill. I have heard of prisons for profit demanding that communities provide them with a certain amount of prisoners. Does that make cops have to go out and look for offenders to "fill the house"? We definitely live in a time where corruption is maxing out.

18. Link to Post #50
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,696 times in 3,333 posts

Quote Posted by petra (here)
    Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    My take on the whole matter is simple: no one should ever be imprisoned. Instead, there should only be two courses of action, two choices - a quick and merciful death or real, true, fair rehabilitation.

I'm interested to see what others may think.
    Any opinions?
    I got as far as the above paragraph and don't need to go any farther yet. I already agree, and I already have my contributions.

This kind of connects into this Justifying Murder thread which I started a while back.

At the time I wrote that, it was the main thing on my mind. How we choose to deal with criminals as a whole is important! This is a huge factor in our evolution as a species.

I was just searching for "vengeance" all by itself, and this thread came up.

Maybe I am a potential murderer, but I sure as heck wouldn't be a vengeful one! The difference is Mercy.

It's impossible for me to forgive someone who's not legitimately sorry (as in they won't do it again), mostly because I'd feel like an idiot for doing so. It's also impossible to know how they're *really* feeling - and that's where we get stuck.

I'm not vengeful (I can't recall a single time!) and I generally don't like vengeful people either.... unless those are the people who are standing up for my (or our) rights.

Maybe vengeance isn't as bad as I thought it was. Other people's so called vengeance can trigger feelings of love, happiness and thankfulness in me....!
    I'll never forget the dream I had (described in the murder thread at post #11). I was just so thankful to be FREE

There are some really, really violent, unapologetic sociopaths out there. What about pedophiles that don't want to change? What do you propose happens to them? Would you feel the same way if they moved next door to you? Would you rent them a room in your house?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Pam For This Post:

petra (18th October 2018)

20. Link to Post #51
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Quote Posted by peterpam (here)
    There are some really, really violent, unapologetic sociopaths out there. What about pedophiles that don't want to change? What do you propose happens to them?
    I'd kill them personally as long as I didn't think I'd be punished for it. Painlessly of course.
    I'd be willing to deal with the consequences of my actions.

I like how you clarified 'don't want to change' because I know for a fact there's people out there with pedophile tendencies that do NOT like those tendencies one bit.

Would you feel the same way if they moved next door to you?
    Yeah, so they darn well better hope I don't find out about their dirty little secrets.

Would you rent them a room in your house?
    Hell no, and if they were to trick me, they'd definitely be dead - Laws or No Laws.
    Really hope I don't end up in jail someday myself

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3