+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Best Remedy for Depression

1. Link to Post #21
    Great Britain Avalon Member jessamy99's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 times in 178 posts

Default Re: The Best Remedy for Depression

I have had a tendency to be depressed in the past.
    Now, I deal with life differently.
    I am so glad to wake up and find all the precious stuff around me.
    My garden is full of orange poppies!
    My cat rubs her face against mine, cheek to cheek!
    My husband makes us a cup of coffee.
    My home is so comfortable, and the roof doesn't leak.
    The bills are paid.
    We have a car and go to the cinema.
    I am so happy watching the clouds rush across the sky, rain on its way.
    I can hear the birds singing.
    Traffic in the distance.
    Children shouting.
    I just love being here.
    I am really lucky.
    With lots of love xxxxx

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jessamy99 For This Post:

21CC (24th July 2012), 9eagle9 (22nd July 2012), Alie (20th July 2012), Arrowwind (5th August 2012), Eram (21st July 2012), Hip Hipnotist (20th July 2012), Karunai (4th August 2012), lookbeyond (21st July 2012), RunningDeer (20th July 2012), TelosianEmbrace (21st July 2012), transitionalman (6th August 2012), ulli (22nd July 2012), Vitalux (20th July 2012)

3. Link to Post #22
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

B1, B6, B12 and lots of daylight, some excercise balances out hormones as well

4. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,716 times in 8,943 posts

Quote Posted by NancyV (here)
    I've been reading a lot lately about Oxytocin. It sounds promising.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2012/02...one/35027.html

Treating Depression With Oxytocin, The Love Hormone

When a person hugs or affectionately touches another, the brain chemical oxytocin is released, helping to strengthen social bonds, among other actions.

This “hormone of love” might provide hope for those suffering with depression, according to researchers who are currently conducting a clinical trial.

“In humans, oxytocin is released when they hug or experience other pleasant physical touch, and it plays a part in the human sexual response cycle,” said Dr. Kai MacDonald, assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at UC San Diego School of Medicine.

Oxytocin seems to change the brain signals responsible for social recognition through facial expressions, says MacDonald, perhaps by changing the firing of the amygdala, the area of the brain that plays a major role in the processing of important emotional stimuli. Therefore, oxytocin in the brain may be a very strong mediator of human social behavior.

“That’s why oxytocin is sometimes called ‘the love hormone,’” said MacDonald. “It’s said that the eyes are the window to the soul… they certainly are the window to the emotional brain. We know that the eye-to-eye communication, which is affected by oxytocin, is critical to intimate emotional communication for all kind of emotions — love, fear, trust, anxiety.”

Previously, UC San Diego researchers discovered that oxytocin could help those with schizophrenia, and MacDonald and colleague David Feifel, M.D., Ph.D., professor of psychiatry, are now enrolling participants to study its role in clinical depression.

“Studies of blood levels and genetic factors in depressed patients point to the possibility that this natural hormone might play a part in helping clinical depression,” said MacDonald.

“Previously, studies of healthy individuals have shown that intranasal doses of oxytocin reduce activation of brain circuits involved in fear, increase levels of eye contact, and increase both trust and generosity,” MacDonald said. “Interestingly, people given oxytocin don’t report feeling any different, but they act differently.”

Early clinical data also indicates oxytocin may help women with anxiety disorders.

“A hug or a touch that causes a release of this hormone might somehow change brain signals,” MacDonald said. “We want to see if we can harness this response to help patients who suffer from depression.”
    this is why i always thought that we should pay back the heavy chemtrailing we have been subjected to by

chemtrailing Rotchilds dwellings, Rockerfeller dwellings, all their meeting places with oxytocin

Lets spray the white house with the love hormone lol

all psychopaths being sprayed....

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

21CC (24th July 2012), Alie (21st July 2012), Eram (21st July 2012), Karunai (4th August 2012), lookbeyond (21st July 2012)

6. Link to Post #24
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Getting angry and raising hell all around until feeling better seems to work for me!
    Last edited by Rozzy; 21st July 2012 at 05:50.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rozzy For This Post:

21CC (24th July 2012), Alie (21st July 2012), Eram (21st July 2012)

8. Link to Post #25
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,067 times in 950 posts

I was going to suggest turmeric but someone already has!
    St John's Wort is actually used in mainstream medicine in Europe and is quite successful apparently. Be careful though if you try it. There are side effects and it can have bad interactions with other prescribed medications.

Good luck and I hope it clears soon. I did like the animal suggestion, but not just babies--- they grow up you know!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellisa For This Post:

21CC (24th July 2012), Alie (21st July 2012), Eram (21st July 2012)

10. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Member NancyV's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,068 times in 989 posts

Quote Posted by blufire (here)
    I would suggest to first determine if the depression is from a bio-chemical (hormones, serotonin etc) imbalance or depression from environmental or situational (life) difficulties or inability to cope or adapt.

The cure or healing modes are different or more successful if the cause of the depression is determined first.
    I agree, it's important to know something about what is causing the depression. I had never been depressed in my life, other than the usual short traumas of lost love, divorces, etc. etc., but I always got over it quickly. So I never really understood what people meant when they said they were constantly depressed. Luckily I got to find out. I had a stroke and because of something that happened to my brain I was depressed! LOL... It was amazing! I couldn't do anything to change it. I immediately went on a fresh juice fast, then all raw foods, oral chelation, all kinds of supplements, etc. But the depression persisted along with other stroke symptoms for two months. Then I started some treatments.

I have mentioned this a couple of times before, but it bears repeating because it cured my depression completely and all my stroke symptoms. I had 20 Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy treatments with a Papimi machine. My depression stopped within 2 treatments and has not come back in the 6 years since I had the treatments. So if there is something wrong with your brain, you might think about PEMFT (Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy). I think it would work for depression from almost ANY cause because it allows your body to heal on a cellular level.

You can look at some videos on youtube for the MRS2000, Bemer3000 and Medithera. The Papimi is no longer legal in the US. Here is a doctor who uses the MRS2000 herself and in her clinic in Santa Fe, NM:

Alpha Mike Foxtrot

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NancyV For This Post:

21CC (24th July 2012), 778 neighbour of some guy (21st July 2012), Alie (21st July 2012), Eram (21st July 2012), nearing (22nd July 2012), spiritwind (5th August 2012), Swan (5th August 2012)

12. Link to Post #27
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Tony's post struck a similar cord in me. There is depression/sadness and there is our resistance to depression the latter one we can always work with directly in the moment.
    So much sadness in the world why should a caring being be immune too feeling it. Westerners in particular, so much of the material wealth we have enjoyed in our history has been ill gotten. If there is any truth to past lives we could have had direct hand in it. Even working for the church for 500 years believing to be serving god we could have been serving the greed of the bishops instead. Intention may set the degree of the negative karma but it's still a messy pot to be stirring in.
    I am, and behave like a good man but patterns of depression and self loathing can still feel like a death grip.
    I am new to this forum and the quality of these responses is very encouraging for me.
    Tracy

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fondoo For This Post:

21CC (24th July 2012), Alie (22nd July 2012), Black Panther (4th August 2012), Eram (25th July 2012), NancyV (21st July 2012), nearing (22nd July 2012), spiritwind (5th August 2012)

14. Link to Post #28
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,024 times in 3,784 posts

While most of the botanical and herbal advice is effective that treats the organic conveyers of depression but does little to affect the emotion itself which isn't chemical.

Depression is often times a defense mechanism where people are prompted to turn inward and not engage so externally.

Personally I accept my depression instead of rushing to abate it, to release the non chemical emotional part of it. Because we are told something is Wrong about being depressed people rush to fix with natural remedies as quick as some are to rush to fix with pharma chemicals.

Accept that you are depressed, and don't judge but rushing off to fix what may not be wrong.

There is nothing wrong with episodes where one actively withdraws from engaging in life. It often highlights a profound transition point in one's time that we try to rush away from to feel 'normal'.

Most people have never been normal to even know what normal feels like, and depression often heralds a shift in stuck energies trying to release themselves.

Go sit somewhere and be depressed, engage in depressed behaviors,(not suicide) withdrawal, don't force yourself to attend to things that previously interested you, don't do what you don't feel like doing, do do what you feel like doing, and its pretty amazing how fast allowing depression to release happens naturally. Then support it with herbal chemical adjustments. It may take up to four days , and it will be roller coastery, you are okay one moment and then depressed again the next.

Don't judge depression, just accept that is how you are feeling, and feel it, and that is releasing it.

Same as anger. People rush to fix their anger instead of accepting they are angry and try to fix the emotion. You don't fix emotions you, release them. You don't fix love, you release it. You don't fix anger, you release. You don't fix depression you release it.

15. Link to Post #29
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,716 times in 8,943 posts

i agree with 9eagle9 bsically. However, when it recurrently destructive, 1 month or 2 of 5HTP works wonderfully without addiction or side effects. 5HTP enhance the production of serotonine precursors, therefore helping the brain to produce serotonine (good mood hormone).

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

21CC (24th July 2012), Alie (22nd July 2012), NancyV (22nd July 2012)

17. Link to Post #30
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,159 times in 1,454 posts

EFT ? lots of great youtubes on how to do this, easy to learn and can be done anywhere.......having said that I always mean to do this for my own issues and somehow never do! perhaps I need to tap on why I don't tap lol

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Earth Angel For This Post:

21CC (24th July 2012), 9eagle9 (22nd July 2012), Alie (22nd July 2012), NancyV (22nd July 2012)

19. Link to Post #31
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,024 times in 3,784 posts

You may think you are joking but i've actually done that. Why am I so unwilling to take care of myself is the actual question.

And it went back to self value.

Quote Posted by Earth Angel (here)
    EFT ? lots of great youtubes on how to do this, easy to learn and can be done anywhere.......having said that I always mean to do this for my own issues and somehow never do! perhaps I need to tap on why I don't tap lol

20. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,159 times in 1,454 posts

No doubt that is the issue.......if I know I have a problem and I believe EFT might be useful as well as daily meditation, then why do I keep talking about doing it and not DOING it .....on some level I think I deserve to suffer

Quote Posted by 9eagle9 (here)
    You may think you are joking but i've actually done that. Why am I so unwilling to take care of myself is the actual question.

And it went back to self value.

Quote Posted by Earth Angel (here)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Earth Angel For This Post:

21CC (24th July 2012), Alie (22nd July 2012)

22. Link to Post #33
    United States Avalon Member 21CC's Avatar
    Thanks

I had completely forgotten about the a.c.vinegar regime. My Dad did this exact honey and cayenne pepper, easy-to-implement routine all through the '70-80's and just sort of forgot, too... He did live to 99 and passed a couple of years ago, healthy, content, with the most peaceful smile and rosy cheeks. I miss my Pa. He was a gentle man who was a pioneer of Holistics, especially Reflexology and worked hard to "legitimize" massage therapy in eras when it was deemed quackery.
    21st Century Child

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 21CC For This Post:

Alie (24th July 2012), Earth Angel (25th July 2012), Holly Lindin (6th August 2012), NancyV (24th July 2012), nearing (25th July 2012), Soul Safari (4th August 2012), spiritwind (5th August 2012), Swan (5th August 2012)

24. Link to Post #34
    Netherlands Avalon Member Black Panther's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,849 times in 847 posts

Quote Posted by Vitalux (here)

Plus, avoid reading all the doom and gloom posts here as well....that is just throwing salt on a wound.
    Most threads are about doom and gloom and reading all the threads makes us really
    depressed, because than it looks like there is no hope for humanity. "Where focus goes,
    energy follows". Instead of focusing on the bad things happening in the world, this is a
    thread with solutions. Avalon can use more positive threads. Before finishing this
    post I have read the 'The Spiritual Conspiracy' of Bill https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...ual-Conspiracy. The Universe responds even before asking! That makes me happy.

There is another thread about alternatives to Prozac: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...395#post262395
    Remember Who You Are!

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Black Panther For This Post:

21CC (4th August 2012), Alie (4th August 2012), Holly Lindin (6th August 2012), NancyV (5th August 2012), spiritwind (5th August 2012)

26. Link to Post #35
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,908 times in 1,388 posts

This is some info, I picked up some time ago. I will also say, the way society works and what it expects of us, isnt helping out mental well being, not to say our physical health:

Take Action and Make an Action Plan:

By taking action you will feel that you are taking control and in control of the situation. This can also build self-confidence and self-esteem. Think on paper and create an action plan. Go through the following and see how you can include them in your action plan, how you will apply them, and how you think they will help you.

Physical exercise helps with stress, anxiety, and depression:

Physical exercise releases chemicals that can help counter the effects of stress and depression. Short (20 minutes) time efficient and high intensity interval training on a tread mill can help and can also be repeated daily. To be able to repeat this training daily the key is not to over exert yourself in one training session. Keep it short and intense so that you are able to recover quickly. This counters the effects of the stress hormone, releasing chemicals, burning the adrenaline and cortisol, pushing blood to the brain, and returning the body to a relaxed state. You should always warm-up the body and heart before intensive exercise and a cool down is also recommended to help you recover (lactic acid). Long distance runners are familiar with the "runners high" which is brought on by the release of endorphins in the brain.

Laughter is great medicine:

Laughter releases chemicals, endorphins, in your brain that can help with stress and depression and many people advocate laughter therapy. It also lowers the stress hormones and strengthens the immune system. The simple act of smiling releases endorphins.
    Smiling and Acceptance (opposite of rejection):

The simple act of smiling releases endorphins in the brain. Both laughter and smiling are contagious. When you smile at someone they usually reciprocate with a smile and this is associated to acceptance and making a connection with someone. It's the opposite of rejection. Smiling also enhances peoples view of you. Some studies show that people who are depressed have weaker smiling muscles and advocate smiling therapy in which the person exercise making the smiling facial expression with eyes wide open and reaps the same benefits as a normal smile. Try this exercise and see what results you get. Make the smiling expression with eyes wide open for a few seconds and then rub or massage your face and head for several seconds for an endorphins fix. Do not do this in front of a mirror if you will view yourself negatively and look for flaws. If you do it in front of a mirror while smiling and rubbing your face, think positive and loving thoughts and see how it affects you.

Get a therapeutic massage:

A therapeutic massage stimulates the skin and is linked to affection. It releases chemicals in your brain, endorphins, and can help with stress, depression, and strengthen your immune system. (massage therapy and touch therapy) It relaxes muscles, increases blood circulation and lymph flow, and can alleviating pain in migraine sufferers.

Condition your mind positively:

One of the symptoms of depression is that you probably have feelings of hopelessness and despair. Your mind can also be conditioned negatively to always see the negative side of things or expect the worse. The opposite is also true, you can condition your mind to think positively or expect positive outcomes. It’s not easy at first and does require effort but eventually it can change and become almost automatic where you will be thinking positively instead of negatively. You have a lot of imagination so play the positive imagination game. You may have heard these expressions: look on the bright side, put a positive spin on it or spin it positively. (see also Conditioning your mind negatively or positively)

Act Happy (condition your mind happy):

Act the way you want to feel and soon you will feel the way you act. This is common in self confidence building therapies or courses where you are asked to act the part of or like a confident person. You soon develop that skill or behavior which results in the person having more confidence. There is increasing evidence that acting enraged, obsessed, malevolent, or depressed maybe bad for you. Actor Leonard DiCaprio developed obsessive-compulsive disorder while playing Howard Hughes in the block buster The Aviator. This often happens to actors who get "caught up" in the role they play or keep many of the same character traits of the role they played. Heath Ledger who played the Joker in the Batman movie died and was allegedly clinically depressed. If you act having an enraged or angry conversation with someone, you will usually find that your emotions do get engaged even though you are simply acting the part. When you are acting happy, you are thinking happy thoughts that go with the acting role you are playing, so it's like conditioning your mind to be happy. So try acting happy and you can also consider it "acting happy therapy".

Change your negative self talk to a positive self talk:

If your self talk is negative and you are always criticizing or putting yourself down, you should change this self talk to a more positive one. Try seeing errors and mistakes as a learning experience for example. Something that you can use to learn from and improve on. Many people consider life its self as a learning experience.

Visual and Auditory Brain Stimulation (positivity):

You can try listening to classical or new age music while watching your favorite scenic video or using the visualization function on your music player (windows media player, winamp, itunes).
    Many studies indicate that classical music stimulates the brain in many positive ways, adding the visualization function of your player, with many different patterns and colors, can also stimulate your brain in positive ways.

Listen to calming or uplifting rhythmical music:

There are many positive effects from music and people also advocate that some types of music such as Mozart can also make you smarter by working different regions of the brain. You can also try singing one of your favorite positive and uplifting songs (similar to positive self talk and affirmations).

Get a dose of sun light and bright colors:

Light therapy is becoming more popular for seasonal depression. Light therapy can also strengthen your immune system.
    Getting a dose of bright colors from watching a colorful movie or cartoons can also have positive effects on the brain.

Positive Visualization:

Many Professional athletes use positive visualization to practice a perfect performance or outcome in their minds. You can do the same or something similar. Visualize good performances, success, and positive outcomes instead of negative outcomes. Practice recalling positive images of your favorite scenic pictures, using your imagination to visualize a calm ocean and beach for example, positive memories, and positive events or actions such as helping friends or people and successful events such as graduations. How you see yourself, yourself image, is also important. Visualize yourself in a positive way, intelligent, caring, and brave for example, do not dwell on your flaws but improve them.

Use positive affirmations:

Using positive affirmations can change your thinking and subconscious. (similar to positive self talk)

Take steps to build self-esteem (set goals and help others):

Setting goals, taking action, accomplishments, success, and helping others, how you value yourself and self-worth, can be very rewarding and can help you build self-esteem.
    When you complete a task or a major task your brain releases endorphins the happy and feel good hormone. You feel happy and your self-esteem usually also goes up too. When you complete a major task, reward yourself to enhance these feelings and to further condition this habit of setting and accomplishing goals.

Take Omega 3:

Omega 3's have beneficial effects on the brain and many research articles also claim that it can prevent or help with depression. They are good for the brain, the heart, prevent cancer, and help you lose weight.

Get enough or the required sleep and exercise:
    When you are stressed and worried, anxiety, you can suffer from insomnia and insomnia is linked to depression. Sleep deprivation also increases the stress hormone, cortisol, in your body. A person who is sleep deprived brain can look like that of psychotic person's brain in an MRI scan. You can exercise to counteract the effects of stress (Stress Management). Exercise increases blood flow to your brain, counteracts the stress hormones, cortisol and adrenaline, and releases endorphins in your brain, the "feel good and happy hormones". The result is that you will be more calm, relaxed, and sleep better.

Take a hot bath with scented oils:

Taking a hot bath and adding scented oils, Aromatherapy, before bed time also relaxes you and your body and should help you sleep better.

Stay active and preoccupied:

Stay active by doing house cleaning for example. By staying preoccupied your brain has less time to dwell on dark or negative thoughts. You'll also feel organized and productive and get the positive effects of this feeling. Tidiness has also been know to reduce stress and improve psychological health.

Socialize and do not Isolate yourself:

Socializing is therapeutic, works the brain, and makes you smarter. It can also preoccupy you and keep you from dwelling on negative thoughts. The positivity of those you socialize with can also rub off on you. Try to participate in activities and social events that contain comedy and laughter.

Good nutrition is also very important:

A deficiency in minerals and electrolytes, such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium can affect the brain. Too much calcium in your body can also cause a deficiency in your body of magnesium.
    The body uses electrolytes to help regulate nerve and muscle function and to maintain acid-base balance and fluid balance.

SUN BLASTER compact fluorescent full spectrum lighting
    Similar to Light Therapy compact fluorescent full spectrum lighting in your garden or flower room may have health benefits or help prevent depression.

(Healthy Light -> Healthy People <- Healthy Plants)

"Grow flowers and herbs indoors year round! Most indoor lighting is yellow orange, the narrowest part of the light spectrum. Full spectrum lighting contains all colors of the rainbow and is balanced like natural daylight, making them excellent for indoor gardening where the suns natural light is not available. Full spectrum ensures proper development and maximum growth! It's all about the light!"

The Brain is Changed

If you take a brain image of an ordinary person with no signs of any psychological disorders and submit them to psychological harassment for a long period of time the brain image will probably be different and have increased or decreased levels of activity in area's of the brain that are associated to psychological disorders or disease.

Also, as indicated on the stress effects page, one of the effects of long periods of stress is that it kills brain cells.

amenclinics.com :

''In a similar way, sleep deprivation also decreases brain activity and limits access to learning, memory, and concentration. A recent brain imaging study showed that people who consistently slept less than 7 hours had overall less brain activity. Sleep problems are very common in people who struggle with their thoughts and emotions. Getting enough sleep everyday is essential to brain function.
    Scientists have only recently discovered how stress negatively affects brain function. Stress hormones have been shown in animals to be directly toxic to memory centers. Brain cells can die with prolonged stress. Managing stress effectively is essential to good brain function.''

"Happy and hopeful thoughts had an overall calming effect on the brain, while negative thoughts inflamed brain areas often involved with depression and anxiety."

"You can train your thoughts to be positive and hopeful or you can just allow them to be negative and upset you. That's right, it's up to you! You can learn how to change your thoughts and optimize your brain."

"Stay away from substances known to be toxic or those that decrease brain activity."

Magic Mineral Lifts Your Mood

A chemical found in everyday foods may help atypical depression. Duke University scientists found that consuming chromium picolinate, a trace mineral naturally found in whole grains, mushrooms, liver and many other foods, has significant effects on individuals suffering from atypical depression.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bogeyman For This Post:

21CC (4th August 2012), Alie (4th August 2012), Holly Lindin (6th August 2012), nearing (5th August 2012), spiritwind (5th August 2012)

28. Link to Post #36
    England Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by 21CC (here)
    I had completely forgotten about the a.c.vinegar regime. My Dad did this exact honey and cayenne pepper, easy-to-implement routine all through the '70-80's and just sort of forgot, too... He did live to 99 and passed a couple of years ago, healthy, content, with the most peaceful smile and rosy cheeks. I miss my Pa. He was a gentle man who was a pioneer of Holistics, especially Reflexology and worked hard to "legitimize" massage therapy in eras when it was deemed quackery.
    I was having this debate down the pub last night. I had trouble convincing people this is how you can cure so many symptoms... one by one ill get there someday.

Saying that i bumped into an old friend this week. He listened to what i had to say about ACV a while back. He's also an 'Iron Man' (in the UK that's like the hardest swim,cycling,run you can enter) he's also the grumpiest man i ever met first thing in the morning. He has just finished his first bottle and he now is totally convinced. He said - 'What the f*ck have you given me? Im actually happy now. I can't believe it!'

Job done!
    Last edited by Soul Safari; 4th August 2012 at 13:35.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soul Safari For This Post:

21CC (4th August 2012), Alie (4th August 2012), Holly Lindin (6th August 2012)

30. Link to Post #37
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,405 times in 1,922 posts

All you (he, she ,they, us) need is LOVE!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camilo For This Post:

Alie (5th August 2012), Holly Lindin (6th August 2012)

32. Link to Post #38
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,663 times in 349 posts

Quote Posted by bogeyman (here)
    This is some info, I picked up some time ago. I will also say, the way society works and what it expects of us, isnt helping out mental well being, not to say our physical health:

Take Action and Make an Action Plan:

By taking action you will feel that you are taking control and in control of the situation. This can also build self-confidence and self-esteem. Think on paper and create an action plan. Go through the following and see how you can include them in your action plan, how you will apply them, and how you think they will help you.

Physical exercise helps with stress, anxiety, and depression:

Physical exercise releases chemicals that can help counter the effects of stress and depression. Short (20 minutes) time efficient and high intensity interval training on a tread mill can help and can also be repeated daily. To be able to repeat this training daily the key is not to over exert yourself in one training session. Keep it short and intense so that you are able to recover quickly. This counters the effects of the stress hormone, releasing chemicals, burning the adrenaline and cortisol, pushing blood to the brain, and returning the body to a relaxed state. You should always warm-up the body and heart before intensive exercise and a cool down is also recommended to help you recover (lactic acid). Long distance runners are familiar with the "runners high" which is brought on by the release of endorphins in the brain.

Laughter is great medicine:

Laughter releases chemicals, endorphins, in your brain that can help with stress and depression and many people advocate laughter therapy. It also lowers the stress hormones and strengthens the immune system. The simple act of smiling releases endorphins.
    Smiling and Acceptance (opposite of rejection):

The simple act of smiling releases endorphins in the brain. Both laughter and smiling are contagious. When you smile at someone they usually reciprocate with a smile and this is associated to acceptance and making a connection with someone. It's the opposite of rejection. Smiling also enhances peoples view of you. Some studies show that people who are depressed have weaker smiling muscles and advocate smiling therapy in which the person exercise making the smiling facial expression with eyes wide open and reaps the same benefits as a normal smile. Try this exercise and see what results you get. Make the smiling expression with eyes wide open for a few seconds and then rub or massage your face and head for several seconds for an endorphins fix. Do not do this in front of a mirror if you will view yourself negatively and look for flaws. If you do it in front of a mirror while smiling and rubbing your face, think positive and loving thoughts and see how it affects you.

Get a therapeutic massage:

A therapeutic massage stimulates the skin and is linked to affection. It releases chemicals in your brain, endorphins, and can help with stress, depression, and strengthen your immune system. (massage therapy and touch therapy) It relaxes muscles, increases blood circulation and lymph flow, and can alleviating pain in migraine sufferers.

Condition your mind positively:

One of the symptoms of depression is that you probably have feelings of hopelessness and despair. Your mind can also be conditioned negatively to always see the negative side of things or expect the worse. The opposite is also true, you can condition your mind to think positively or expect positive outcomes. It’s not easy at first and does require effort but eventually it can change and become almost automatic where you will be thinking positively instead of negatively. You have a lot of imagination so play the positive imagination game. You may have heard these expressions: look on the bright side, put a positive spin on it or spin it positively. (see also Conditioning your mind negatively or positively)

Act Happy (condition your mind happy):

Act the way you want to feel and soon you will feel the way you act. This is common in self confidence building therapies or courses where you are asked to act the part of or like a confident person. You soon develop that skill or behavior which results in the person having more confidence. There is increasing evidence that acting enraged, obsessed, malevolent, or depressed maybe bad for you. Actor Leonard DiCaprio developed obsessive-compulsive disorder while playing Howard Hughes in the block buster The Aviator. This often happens to actors who get "caught up" in the role they play or keep many of the same character traits of the role they played. Heath Ledger who played the Joker in the Batman movie died and was allegedly clinically depressed. If you act having an enraged or angry conversation with someone, you will usually find that your emotions do get engaged even though you are simply acting the part. When you are acting happy, you are thinking happy thoughts that go with the acting role you are playing, so it's like conditioning your mind to be happy. So try acting happy and you can also consider it "acting happy therapy".

Change your negative self talk to a positive self talk:

If your self talk is negative and you are always criticizing or putting yourself down, you should change this self talk to a more positive one. Try seeing errors and mistakes as a learning experience for example. Something that you can use to learn from and improve on. Many people consider life its self as a learning experience.

Visual and Auditory Brain Stimulation (positivity):

You can try listening to classical or new age music while watching your favorite scenic video or using the visualization function on your music player (windows media player, winamp, itunes).
    Many studies indicate that classical music stimulates the brain in many positive ways, adding the visualization function of your player, with many different patterns and colors, can also stimulate your brain in positive ways.

Listen to calming or uplifting rhythmical music:

There are many positive effects from music and people also advocate that some types of music such as Mozart can also make you smarter by working different regions of the brain. You can also try singing one of your favorite positive and uplifting songs (similar to positive self talk and affirmations).

Get a dose of sun light and bright colors:

Light therapy is becoming more popular for seasonal depression. Light therapy can also strengthen your immune system.
    Getting a dose of bright colors from watching a colorful movie or cartoons can also have positive effects on the brain.

Positive Visualization:

Many Professional athletes use positive visualization to practice a perfect performance or outcome in their minds. You can do the same or something similar. Visualize good performances, success, and positive outcomes instead of negative outcomes. Practice recalling positive images of your favorite scenic pictures, using your imagination to visualize a calm ocean and beach for example, positive memories, and positive events or actions such as helping friends or people and successful events such as graduations. How you see yourself, yourself image, is also important. Visualize yourself in a positive way, intelligent, caring, and brave for example, do not dwell on your flaws but improve them.

Use positive affirmations:

Using positive affirmations can change your thinking and subconscious. (similar to positive self talk)

Take steps to build self-esteem (set goals and help others):

Setting goals, taking action, accomplishments, success, and helping others, how you value yourself and self-worth, can be very rewarding and can help you build self-esteem.
    When you complete a task or a major task your brain releases endorphins the happy and feel good hormone. You feel happy and your self-esteem usually also goes up too. When you complete a major task, reward yourself to enhance these feelings and to further condition this habit of setting and accomplishing goals.

Take Omega 3:

Omega 3's have beneficial effects on the brain and many research articles also claim that it can prevent or help with depression. They are good for the brain, the heart, prevent cancer, and help you lose weight.

Get enough or the required sleep and exercise:
    When you are stressed and worried, anxiety, you can suffer from insomnia and insomnia is linked to depression. Sleep deprivation also increases the stress hormone, cortisol, in your body. A person who is sleep deprived brain can look like that of psychotic person's brain in an MRI scan. You can exercise to counteract the effects of stress (Stress Management). Exercise increases blood flow to your brain, counteracts the stress hormones, cortisol and adrenaline, and releases endorphins in your brain, the "feel good and happy hormones". The result is that you will be more calm, relaxed, and sleep better.

Take a hot bath with scented oils:

Taking a hot bath and adding scented oils, Aromatherapy, before bed time also relaxes you and your body and should help you sleep better.

Stay active and preoccupied:

Stay active by doing house cleaning for example. By staying preoccupied your brain has less time to dwell on dark or negative thoughts. You'll also feel organized and productive and get the positive effects of this feeling. Tidiness has also been know to reduce stress and improve psychological health.

Socialize and do not Isolate yourself:

Socializing is therapeutic, works the brain, and makes you smarter. It can also preoccupy you and keep you from dwelling on negative thoughts. The positivity of those you socialize with can also rub off on you. Try to participate in activities and social events that contain comedy and laughter.

Good nutrition is also very important:

A deficiency in minerals and electrolytes, such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium can affect the brain. Too much calcium in your body can also cause a deficiency in your body of magnesium.
    The body uses electrolytes to help regulate nerve and muscle function and to maintain acid-base balance and fluid balance.

SUN BLASTER compact fluorescent full spectrum lighting
    Similar to Light Therapy compact fluorescent full spectrum lighting in your garden or flower room may have health benefits or help prevent depression.

(Healthy Light -> Healthy People <- Healthy Plants)

"Grow flowers and herbs indoors year round! Most indoor lighting is yellow orange, the narrowest part of the light spectrum. Full spectrum lighting contains all colors of the rainbow and is balanced like natural daylight, making them excellent for indoor gardening where the suns natural light is not available. Full spectrum ensures proper development and maximum growth! It's all about the light!"

The Brain is Changed

If you take a brain image of an ordinary person with no signs of any psychological disorders and submit them to psychological harassment for a long period of time the brain image will probably be different and have increased or decreased levels of activity in area's of the brain that are associated to psychological disorders or disease.

Also, as indicated on the stress effects page, one of the effects of long periods of stress is that it kills brain cells.

amenclinics.com :

''In a similar way, sleep deprivation also decreases brain activity and limits access to learning, memory, and concentration. A recent brain imaging study showed that people who consistently slept less than 7 hours had overall less brain activity. Sleep problems are very common in people who struggle with their thoughts and emotions. Getting enough sleep everyday is essential to brain function.
    Scientists have only recently discovered how stress negatively affects brain function. Stress hormones have been shown in animals to be directly toxic to memory centers. Brain cells can die with prolonged stress. Managing stress effectively is essential to good brain function.''

"Happy and hopeful thoughts had an overall calming effect on the brain, while negative thoughts inflamed brain areas often involved with depression and anxiety."

"You can train your thoughts to be positive and hopeful or you can just allow them to be negative and upset you. That's right, it's up to you! You can learn how to change your thoughts and optimize your brain."

"Stay away from substances known to be toxic or those that decrease brain activity."

Magic Mineral Lifts Your Mood

A chemical found in everyday foods may help atypical depression. Duke University scientists found that consuming chromium picolinate, a trace mineral naturally found in whole grains, mushrooms, liver and many other foods, has significant effects on individuals suffering from atypical depression.
    Wow, what a great post. I suffered from fairly chronic but not debilitating depression all my life, cried frequently, honestly felt like it was just too horrible to be here much of the time, and just the last 10 years has that really changed. Mine was largely due to significant traumas, physical and emotional, in childhood, and those do have to be worked through to some extent, brought out of the closet so to speak, to take the charge out of them, at least it was that way for me. But almost everything you listed above is what I use in my basic self care and I pull out the stops whenever I begin to feel overwhelmed again by how things really are here on planet earth (I KNOW I've experienced something else). Absolutely great advice. For me, nature is the best healer of all.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spiritwind For This Post:

Alie (5th August 2012), Holly Lindin (6th August 2012)

34. Link to Post #39
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,663 times in 349 posts

As a side note, and hopefully not too off topic, but my daughter suffers from fairly severe anxiety (which is entirely different than depression) and she is still fairly young (just turned 18) and is planning to go to the doctor to talk with them about medication options. Even though I am big on diet she eats like crap (sorry, she really does). She has tried things like rescue remedy and says it doesn't work, but I sense some deeper issues (she lost her dad to cancer about 4 years ago after a 6 year battle). She can talk very intelligently when she goes to see therapists so they have never done anything but cost me money. I almost got her to try hypnotherapy but she chickened out and just wanted to talk when we went to her appointment so there went that idea. I'm apprehensive about what they are going to probably prescribe for her. Any words of wisdom on this from someone who knows would be greatly appreciated.

35. Link to Post #40
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,908 times in 1,388 posts

Nature is certainly a great healer, and we must understand we are apart of nature and need it for our well being. We live our lives in artifical environments, buildings too close together, great cities of noise and traffic, this creates problems, physically, emotionally and psychologically. I go into nature and it is a breath of fresh air!. I did suffer as a result of childhood experiences, but in time and with the right help it changed my life. Healing (hands on as people sometime call it) did indeed help me, but it isnt for all people, find whats right for you.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bogeyman For This Post:

Alie (20th August 2012), Holly Lindin (6th August 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast