+ Reply to Thread

Thread: “Those who do not know, teach.”...

1. Link to Post #1
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,260 times in 3,618 posts

Thumbs up “Those who do not know, teach.”...

“Those who do not know, teach.”...

When someone knocks on my door and tells me something, they are communicating: I learn something about them or something from what they are saying.

Are they teaching? Well, I am certainly learning something! If I regard everything and everyone as a teacher, then I am learning. I am a student - but I also communicate! The decision as to whether someone is teaching or not is in our own mind.

Everything can be taken apart and looked at more closely, so that it become more clearer. People often use the words 'teacher', 'ego' and 'judgement' as a defensive - or aggressive - reaction. It is used as a weapon in society to put us down! If we are not careful, we too can fall into the same trap.

In fact, that is how we are being controlled.

Much spiritual text is misunderstood: it can be used to justify a partial view. People often quote, “Those who teach do not know.” How we understand this statement depends on the confused state of 'our' mind! It's the same with accusations of “Ego!” and “You are judging!”

Clarity will upgrade our understanding, though it can be a little uncomfortable.

In meditation (this is just being), there is a knowing: it is awareness.
    This awareness, when looked into, is found to be empty of any impurities: it is pure awareness.
    This is our essential essence. The simplest of simplests!

This non-state of being is just there, with nothing going on.
    When this is experienced, there is not even the experience of something being experienced...there is just experiencing...noting!
    So there is no talking, but just stillness. So there is nothing to talk about.

However if one comes out of this non-state slightly, one may wish to communicate with others about this wonderful non-state. This is where a little ego is involved (our 'social I')...and also discerning judgement, in order to decide on the right time, right method and the right place.

Now no one can ever use this against you again, because you know ego, and can judge when to use it for the benefit of others...and then return to knowing stillness!

So, one's natural state is Pure Knowing, when coming out of that natural state, one is remembering, not actually Pure knowing at that moment. One has re-entered a social world to communicate.

It like painting from life, what one puts down on the canvas is only a 'memory' of what was experienced!

You judge,
    Tony

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

Caren (4th August 2012), CdnSirian (4th August 2012), cheez_2806 (5th August 2012), crested-duck (5th August 2012), Karunai (4th August 2012), ljwheat (4th August 2012), Marie (4th August 2012), Marsila (4th August 2012), Mike (4th August 2012), modwiz (4th August 2012), nomadguy (5th August 2012), PurpleLama (4th August 2012), ROMANWKT (4th August 2012), RunningDeer (4th August 2012), Sebastion (4th August 2012), Spiral (4th August 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

Default Re: “Those who do not know, teach.”...

I am more familiar with: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach"

That said, true teachers are a gift we would be all the poorer for not having.
    Last edited by modwiz; 4th August 2012 at 14:52.

4. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member 21CC's Avatar
    Thanks

Ouch! I rather prefer, "Those who CARE teach!"
    21st Century Child

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 21CC For This Post:

aranuk (4th August 2012), CdnSirian (4th August 2012), crested-duck (5th August 2012), Ellisa (5th August 2012), Karunai (4th August 2012), ljwheat (4th August 2012), Marsila (4th August 2012), modwiz (4th August 2012), Tony (5th August 2012)

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member SEAM's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 times in 361 posts

Thanks T... I was going to make a thread on this just now, but you chomped that bit of ether, before I could..

I have more... it's copied and paste'd.. but oh, so relevant.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SEAM For This Post:

crested-duck (5th August 2012), Marsila (4th August 2012), Tony (5th August 2012)

8. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member SEAM's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 times in 361 posts

Constantly watching..
    http://www.pixhost.org/show/998/1186...teacherweb.jpg

"It is absurd and anti-life to move from cell to cell at the sound of a buzzer, every day of your natural youth, in an institution that allows you no private time or space. What parent would allow such a horror to be inflicted if their own schooling had left them with the power to understand? "
    -John T Gatto
    Last edited by SEAM; 4th August 2012 at 15:46.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SEAM For This Post:

crested-duck (5th August 2012), Karunai (4th August 2012), Marsila (4th August 2012), Tony (5th August 2012)

10. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Retired Member
    In the Matrix...imagining how i'd like it to be
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,614 times in 375 posts

Great thread pie'n'eal,
    but a few questions just to clarify
    by "those who don't know, teach" are you trying to say people who really want you to learn, stand back and let you do 'your thing' without trying to 'guide you' or tell you about the 'rules of the game'.......

and those who due to their own past experiences think they have broken the code to something, when in reality their experience is very particular to their own awareness and no one else, are the one's not getting whatever it is that life is trying to tell them.

in other words, real 'teachers' don't even look at themselves as 'teachers' and don't even realize that their own lives are providing some sort of lesson to others (for e.g i don't think the Buddha looked at himself as someone who will give answers to others...and who knows what he may have though if it had occurred to him the amount of people following his lessons in the future, given the reason why he chose to do what he ended up doing??)

sorry for the clumsily worded email, but not at my home, and not used to televisions anymore, that i can't fully focus on what you exactly meant....

THANKS AGAIN for this and all your other great threads!!!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marsila For This Post:

crested-duck (5th August 2012), Ellisa (5th August 2012), Karunai (4th August 2012), Tony (5th August 2012)

12. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

those who teach know and learn all at the same time

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

crested-duck (5th August 2012), Ellisa (5th August 2012), Karunai (4th August 2012), Marsila (5th August 2012), Tony (5th August 2012)

14. Link to Post #8
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karunai For This Post:

Marsila (5th August 2012), Tony (5th August 2012)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,374 times in 1,941 posts

My first teacher was my Judo teacher, my second was my dad who taught me my trade, my third was my chess teacher and lastly my astrololgy teacher and spiritual advisor. Without them, it would have taken me a lifetime and more to learn the things I know now. Thanks to them!

Stan

PS Afterthought, first the physical, then the mental and lastly the Spiritual in that order. A Natural progression.
    Last edited by aranuk; 4th August 2012 at 23:03.
    If you don't follow your spirit without hesitation, you end up following your hesitation without spirit.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aranuk For This Post:

21CC (1st September 2012), crested-duck (5th August 2012), Ellisa (5th August 2012), Marsila (5th August 2012), Tony (5th August 2012)

18. Link to Post #10
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,260 times in 3,618 posts

Quote Posted by Marsila (here)
    Great thread pie'n'eal,
    but a few questions just to clarify
    by "those who don't know, teach" are you trying to say people who really want you to learn, stand back and let you do 'your thing' without trying to 'guide you' or tell you about the 'rules of the game'.......

and those who due to their own past experiences think they have broken the code to something, when in reality their experience is very particular to their own awareness and no one else, are the one's not getting whatever it is that life is trying to tell them.

in other words, real 'teachers' don't even look at themselves as 'teachers' and don't even realize that their own lives are providing some sort of lesson to others (for e.g i don't think the Buddha looked at himself as someone who will give answers to others...and who knows what he may have though if it had occurred to him the amount of people following his lessons in the future, given the reason why he chose to do what he ended up doing??)

sorry for the clumsily worded email, but not at my home, and not used to televisions anymore, that i can't fully focus on what you exactly meant....

THANKS AGAIN for this and all your other great threads!!!
    Hello Marsila,
    There are several points of view here, so one's response will be slightly different.

it seems to be a matter of allowing space for knowledge to occur...plus a few words!
    To a casual acquaintance one would allow them space to develop their experiences, because their background will be different to one's own.
    To someone who is interested one would clarify for them, their experience.
    To someone who is really interested one would reveal possible further stepping stones.
    To someone who is in the same tradition, then a system is followed so there is a definite teach/student relationship involved.
    To someone who has realise their inner teacher, then all outer phenomena visible and invisible is their teacher.

Personally a teacher is someone whom I call a teacher, because I have examined them, and found that they have knowledge and especially wisdom. I going to talk weird here...their source of wisdom is non visible. I have found that in devotional practices, we too can 'pick up' this same wisdom....but I could be out of my mind here!!!

Like you say, the Buddha may have spoken spontaneously. It was others that called him a teacher.

I paint, and would not dream of calling myself an Artist...that is for others to judge!

All the best,
    Tony

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

21CC (1st September 2012), crested-duck (5th August 2012), Karunai (5th August 2012), Marsila (5th August 2012)

+ Reply to Thread