+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Goji Berries - What You Need to Know

1. Link to Post #21
    I live in Ottawa, Ontario Canada with my life partner.
    Thanks

Default Re: Goji Berries - What You Need to Know

Thanks for the info. on Goji Berries. I was aware that they were a superfood, but never tried them. I am a homeopath, but I do have to be careful of what I eat. Goji Berries appear to be high in vitamin C. Good for most people but not for me. I have Hemocromatosis (hereditary type ) the gene from both parents. Also referred to as iron overload disorder. There is not cure for this disorder. I need to have my ferritin count checked regularly, when it hits 500, i must begin a regimin of blood letting of 1/2 litre of blood every 3 wks. until my iron count is brought down to 50. Vitamin C holds iron in the body (not good for me). There is a special diet for Hemocromatosis from their web site. I learned that black tea with meals reduces the iron in the body by 93%, black tea, by 64% and coffee by 35%. Any fruits which must be eaten between meals to prevent the buildup of iron in my body. I can usually tell when the iron load is too high, because magnets start sticking to my body (just kidding). This disorder/desease I have learned leads to many other problems like pernishous anemea, diabetes. the iron in the body if left unchecked eventually destroys all of the bodies organs including the heart and brain. People can live with this disorder, but it must be diagnosed by your doctor. I was lucky, my doctor spotted the systems immediately and confirmed with a genetic test. I could probably enjoy goji berries between my meals like any other vitamin c fruit that i might take. It is a real balancing act living with this disorder/disease.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lightseeker For This Post:

nearing (15th August 2012), penn (15th August 2012), sandy (15th August 2012), taurad (17th August 2012)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by shadowstalker (here)
    Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    My personal opinion - the bestest Goji Berries - Dragon Herbs Heaven Mountain Goji Berries
    Yummy
    where can I get those?????????

I ordered mine from amazon.
    The Sage does not talk, The Talented Ones talk, And the Stupid Ones argue
    King Tingan
    Journey of Awakening

4. Link to Post #23
    Netherlands Avalon Member GaelVictor's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,536 times in 316 posts

[QUOTE=Meesh;538803]
    Quote Posted by shadowstalker (here)
    My personal opinion - the bestest Goji Berries - Dragon Herbs Heaven Mountain Goji Berries
    Yummy
    where can I get those?????????
    I order them and other goodies at iHerb;

http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=MUT724
    "Dodecahedron; 12 faces 20 points 30 edges 6480 degrees"

5. Link to Post #24
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,348 times in 21,474 posts

Quote Posted by lightseeker (here)
    Thanks for the info. on Goji Berries. I was aware that they were a superfood, but never tried them. I am a homeopath, but I do have to be careful of what I eat. Goji Berries appear to be high in vitamin C. Good for most people but not for me. I have Hemocromatosis (hereditary type ) the gene from both parents. Also referred to as iron overload disorder. There is not cure for this disorder. I need to have my ferritin count checked regularly, when it hits 500, i must begin a regimin of blood letting of 1/2 litre of blood every 3 wks. until my iron count is brought down to 50. Vitamin C holds iron in the body (not good for me). There is a special diet for Hemocromatosis from their web site. I learned that black tea with meals reduces the iron in the body by 93%, black tea, by 64% and coffee by 35%. Any fruits which must be eaten between meals to prevent the buildup of iron in my body.
    That's a challenge. I would think this could lead to a deficiency of Vitamin C in the body.

These pages looked interesting to me, when I searched on this: http://www.health-science-spirit.com/haemo2.html and http://www.riordanclinic.org/researc...minc/protocol/
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

nearing (16th August 2012)

7. Link to Post #25
    England Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. on Goji Berries. I was aware that they were a superfood, but never tried them. I am a homeopath, but I do have to be careful of what I eat. Goji Berries appear to be high in vitamin C. Good for most people but not for me. I have Hemocromatosis (hereditary type ) the gene from both parents. Also referred to as iron overload disorder. There is not cure for this disorder. I need to have my ferritin count checked regularly, when it hits 500, i must begin a regimin of blood letting of 1/2 litre of blood every 3 wks. until my iron count is brought down to 50. Vitamin C holds iron in the body (not good for me). There is a special diet for Hemocromatosis from their web site. I learned that black tea with meals reduces the iron in the body by 93%, black tea, by 64% and coffee by 35%. Any fruits which must be eaten between meals to prevent the buildup of iron in my body. I can usually tell when the iron load is too high, because magnets start sticking to my body (just kidding). This disorder/desease I have learned leads to many other problems like pernishous anemea, diabetes. the iron in the body if left unchecked eventually destroys all of the bodies organs including the heart and brain. People can live with this disorder, but it must be diagnosed by your doctor. I was lucky, my doctor spotted the systems immediately and confirmed with a genetic test. I could probably enjoy goji berries between my meals like any other vitamin c fruit that i might take. It is a real balancing act living with this disorder/disease.
    Have you tried drinking your own piss yet? I hear it cures all sorts of things..
    Last edited by Soul Safari; 16th August 2012 at 08:43.

8. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 times in 364 posts

Light seeker, you might find this web site interesting: http://www.ironoverload.org/
    Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, does it improve on the silence?

9. Link to Post #27
    Germany Avalon Member The Truth Is In There's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,645 times in 726 posts

pernicious anemia happens due to lack of iron (and b12, which is why lots of vegans suffer from it), not iron overload.

iron is a pro-oxidant, that's why it creates the problems you described.

a simple treatment for your condition, imo, would be to donate blood on a regular basis and eat food high in antioxidants.

regarding vit c and iron - afaik vit c only helps the body to absorb iron from the intestines so if you eat vit c separately from any iron containing food (except the goji's in this case, which are no THAT rich in iron) there should be no problems with increased iron uptake.

what also helps to regulate levels of pretty much any mineral that's too high or too low in the body is probiotics. some of them consume iron. some pathogens, too, and so they will also be controlled by probiotics.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Truth Is In There For This Post:

nearing (16th August 2012)

11. Link to Post #28
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,405 times in 1,148 posts

Quote Posted by Arrowwind (here)
    Goji Berry

I've been looking into goji lately and have found some remarkable evidence that they may well be worth the trouble. They are pretty expensive and the taste is not real great but with a little honey they are good. They are tolerable.
    I get them for about half the price you paid, off the shelf just a few minutes walk from home. They taste GREAT. Are your tastebuds fried from a lifetime of sugar abuse?

Beware, not all goji berries are created equal. Are you eating wild Himalayan goji berries or chemically fertilized, pesticide drenched, USA grown goyucky berries?

12. Link to Post #29
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

Quote Posted by Cjay (here)
    Goji Berry

I've been looking into goji lately and have found some remarkable evidence that they may well be worth the trouble. They are pretty expensive and the taste is not real great but with a little honey they are good. They are tolerable.
    I get them for about half the price you paid, off the shelf just a few minutes walk from home. They taste GREAT. Are your tastebuds fried from a lifetime of sugar abuse?

Beware, not all goji berries are created equal. Are you eating wild Himalayan goji berries or chemically fertilized, pesticide drenched, USA grown goyucky berries?
    Actually I am not a sugar user to any great extent.
    I did eat a 1/3 cup of them the other day, more at one sitting that every before an in that quantity I did find them too sweet
    and I couldn't finish them.
    If you had looked at the link I provided you would have seen that they are Tibetian goji, not Chinese.
    this page explains the difference: http://www.tanaduk.com/research6.html

Maybe you should check to see if your half price berries are truely Tibetian, not Chinese. According to the page link I provided they have different medicinal qualities, with the Tibetian being of choice for tonic and immune system fortification

13. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

Quote Posted by The Truth Is In There (here)
    pernicious anemia happens due to lack of iron (and b12, which is why lots of vegans suffer from it), not iron overload.

a simple treatment for your condition, imo, would be to donate blood on a regular basis and eat food high in antioxidants.

regarding vit c and iron - afaik vit c only helps the body to absorb iron from the intestines so if you eat vit c separately from any iron containing food (except the goji's in this case, which are no THAT rich in iron) there should be no problems with increased iron uptake.

what also helps to regulate levels of pretty much any mineral that's too high or too low in the body is probiotics. some of them consume iron. some pathogens, too, and so they will also be controlled by probiotics.

But light seeker does not have pernicious anemia... he has a disorder much more severe called Hemocromatosis (hereditary type ) and he did say that he already gives blood when ferritin levels get to high. You cannot sufficiently address this genetic disorder by common nutritional means and pernicious anemia is only a result of the condition poorly if mangaged.

14. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

Goji Berry

Looking further I can see that the berries that you have purchased are likely Chinese. And you really didn't pay less if you purchased the Heaven Mountain brand for this is an 8 ounce package and mine was a pound for 19.95, and when I look at the receipt today I do see that they did not charge me shipping after all.. a special they are having. Read the discription of the berries that Im thinking that you have purchased, and certainly others here have, and you will clearly see that they are Chinese, not Himilayian.
    http://www.iherb.com/Dragon-Herbs-Heaven-Mountain-Goji-Berries-8-oz-227-g/21555

It seems that Tibetian and Chinese gogi offer different medicinal qualities and there are some issues that lead to confusion between Chinese and Tibetian Goji. For those who have difficulty clicking on links, here:

First, the Tibetan Goji berry and the Chinese Wolfberry are both Lycium berries. They look similar to one another and share the same pinyin name of Gou Qi Zi. Sharing the same pinyin name causes great confusion.

The Wolfberry (Lycium barbarum) has received much popularity in China. It is a widely cultivated export crop and highly regarded in China for its medicinal properties. In addition to being cultivated in the popular region of Ningxia, it is also cultivated on very large commercial farms in the regions of Hebei, Gansu, Qinghai, and Shanxi.

Many varieties of Lycium berries grow all over the world, but the highly revered Tibetan Goji berry grows ONLY in some areas of Tibet and mostly in Mongolian areas. Wolfberries do not grow in any abundance in the traditional Himalayan botanical collection areas where Goji berries grow. Never in the past have Wolfberries been referred to as 'Goji' berries, or visa versa. That is until recently. Now that the Tibetan lycium 'Goji' berry has gained worldwide recognition with strong market demand, the much more cheaply cultivated Chinese Lycium barbarum, or Wolfberry, is being passed off as the Tibetan Goji berry.

Another issue that has lead to confusion is the fact that in China, the Wolfberry is called Gou Qi Zi. People began to think that the name 'Goji' must be short for the Chinese name Gou Qi Zi; even though these two berries are different in size, taste, name and are grown in two different countries. The name 'Goji' only refers to the Tibetan Lycium variety of Lycium Chinensis.
    http://www.tanaduk.com/research6.html

Now I can not be absolutley positive as to where the truth lies on this issue of quality and type of berry but according to Chinese medicine the Chinese berry and the Tibetian berry have some different effects in the body.. as explained further in the link I provide.....

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Tibetan Goji Berries are not Chinese Wolfberries

Fructus Lycium Chinensis - Goji
    smaller, rounder / sweeter
    Also known as phangma

Chinese Lycium barbarum - wolfberry
    larger, oblong/ sour, acid after taste
    Chinese name is Gou Qi Zi (not goji)
    Last edited by Arrowwind; 16th August 2012 at 17:19.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

sandy (17th August 2012), tessie999 (19th August 2012)

16. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,405 times in 1,148 posts

Goji Berry

I did eat a 1/3 cup of them the other day, more at one sitting that every before an in that quantity I did find them too sweet
    If you had looked at the link I provided you would have seen that they are Tibetian goji, not Chinese.
    this page explains the difference: http://www.tanaduk.com/research6.html

Maybe you should check to see if your half price berries are truely Tibetian, not Chinese. According to the page link I provided they have different medicinal qualities, with the Tibetian being of choice for tonic and immune system fortification
    Arrowwind, first of all, I want to apologise because my reply was potentially offensive. I'm really sorry for that. I was trying to be slightly humorous. I actually lost sleep, worrying that I may have offended you or anyone else reading my comments.

Secondly, I want to thank you and other contributors to this topic for providing a lot of very useful and important information. I have already learned a lot from reading this thread. This is a complex subject and I am always keen to learn.

Unfortunately, profit motives often lead to inferior mass-produced products that are similar to, yet significantly different from, the "real thing" - and they get away with it because consumers are ignorant and/or lazy.

In reality, it is not important which country the goji berries are grown in. What does matter is that they are the right species and how they are grown and processed. For example, wild is generally best, organically grown is second best and chemically fertilized (most likely including chemical pesticides) is least good.

No food labelling laws that I am aware of are comprehensive enough to ensure that consumers can get all of the information they need to be certain they are getting the best possible food. I have tried asking companies for that type of information and sometimes they flatly refuse to tell me, which makes me wonder if they have something to hide. Even if they do answer all of my questions, it is near impossible to verify whether their answers are truthful.

Some companies have excellent reputations that are well-deserved. Other companies have excellent reputations that are based on slick marketing rather than honesty and integrity. Sadly, such is the world we live in, so caveat emptor (let the buyer beware).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cjay For This Post:

Arrowwind (17th August 2012)

18. Link to Post #33
    Thanks

Quote Posted by The Truth Is In There (here)

But light seeker does not have pernicious anemia... he has a disorder much more severe called Hemocromatosis (hereditary type ) and he did say that he already gives blood when ferritin levels get to high. You cannot sufficiently address this genetic disorder by common nutritional means and pernicious anemia is only a result of the condition poorly if mangaged.
    i realize that. i just wanted to clarify what p.e. is to avoid confusion.

imo anything can be controlled to a great extent by nutrition. if the body stores too much iron then it's even more vital to build up a healthy probiotics flora because those that will thrive in his intestines and in fact his whole body will be those who consume preferably iron. that helps to control excessive iron levels and iron-consuming pathogens whose growth could otherwise get out of hand and create even more oxidative stress and inflammation.

Quote Some virulent microorganisms can be
    harmful in one part of the body but not in
    other parts. To survive, regardless of where
    they are in the body, nearly all of these
    bacteria need iron and each obtains the
    metal in its own way. For example, the
    bacteria that causes tuberculosis can enter
    a macrophage, a cell that is intended to
    destroy the harmful germ.
    Macrophages, a type of white blood cell,
    engulf old red blood cells so that the iron in
    the hemoglobin of these cells can be
    recycled. When the bacteria enters the
    macrophage, they ingest the iron, which
    insures their survival.
    Other ways bacteria can get iron is from
    heme in hemoglobin or transferrin, an irontransport
    protein found in the blood. Other
    bacteria can get iron directly from lactoferrin,
    a defense iron binding protein found
    in body fluids such as saliva, tears, breastmilk,
    vaginal and seminal (semen) secretions.
    Helicobacter is an example of a
    pathogen that can get iron from lactoferrin.
    Helicobacter (H.pylori) is the leading cause
    of stomach ulcers and stomach cancers.
    This pathogen can be present in a person
    for decades before symptoms are noticed.
    Often symptoms of H. pylori infection will be
    attributed to stress or diet.
    Bacteria such as Vibrio vulnificus can enter
    the body by ingesting contaminated raw
    shellfish or walking barefoot over contaminated
    beaches. V. vulnificus can become
    highly virulent in an iron rich environment.
    Persons with excessive body iron who
    become infected with V.vulnificus can die
    within hours due of sepsis. Sepsis is the
    spread of an infection from its initial site to
    the bloodstream.
    http://www.irondisorders.org/website...s_bacteria.pdf

19. The Following User Says Thank You to The Truth Is In There For This Post:

20. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

if you want the benefits of gojis and avoid the drawback of high sugar try storing them in raw milk for a few days. that's what i do, anyway. the sugar is transformed into lactic acid and the whole brew becomes even richer in enzymes and vitamins.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to The Truth Is In There For This Post:

22. Link to Post #35
    United States Avalon Member foreverfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,085 times in 528 posts

Quote Posted by Zencat (here)
    Sorry about your heart situation, Foreverfan. Looks like you have it under control - good for you! Have you watched the documentary "Forks over Knives"? It is available on Netflix and is an amazing documentary where they show that heart disease, Type 2 Diabetes and other degenerative diseases are reversible.

Goji berries are fantastic. I add them to my green smoothies, making for a complete and nutritious meal. Anyone interested in the power of green smoothies, check out the book "Green for Life" by Victoria Boutenko. It's probably the best on the subject.
    Thanks... I'll have to check it out.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 17th August 2012 at 12:17. Reason: Reduce nested quoting depth

23. Link to Post #36
    United States Avalon Member foreverfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,085 times in 528 posts

Quote Posted by nearing (here)
    I am curious, Arrow, did you find fresh berries or did you just pant the dried kind that are sold in package and crossed your fingers?
    Quote Posted by penn (here)
    Can you plant any goji berry or do they have to be sun dried in order to sprout?
    Any dried goji should sprout, I assume, unless they are old and the seeds have withered to nothing. Its taking them longer to sprout than the video said. All you need to know about planting them is in the video with the 2 guys I provided. You can also open the berry and take the seeds out. I decided to to this when the planted whole berry didnt sprout... but I think I was not patient enough for they are coming up now. Each berry has about 30 seeds and I have multiple coming up now, 5 and 6 in one spot and having to thin them.

They can also be grown in 5 gallon buckets if live you in an appartment but I am suspecting that they can grow just fine in 3 gallon pots also and I will give them a try as they are easier to move around. Eating the fresh berries are suppose to be much more potent than the dried and If you can manage that for part of the year I think you would do yourself a big favor.

I am wondering if there is any advantage to freezing fresh berries over drying them.

Quote Posted by foreverfan (here)
    Goji Berries are great for any heart patient because they will unstick your blood just like the video shows. I've been eating about 1/3 cup every morning for 6 months. I eat them with a 8oz glass of pure water every morning.
    so 30 grams equals about 1/3 cup?

Foreverfan, your success story is inspirational. Does the doc in any way check your blood viscosity? If so can you tell what test he uses?
    I really need to know more about how they monitor blood viscosity other than the PT/INR. Is that what he usese or something else?
    Blood work came back fine. I've also quit taking my statin. Not sure about the blood viscosity but I can tell you I firmly believe the video about the blood. So much stuff happened in the first 5 days. About the 30mg... that sounds about right. That's all you really need. Goji can give you wild dreams too. I've been dreaming every night and not the same old usual dreams either. Last night I woke up with another rock solid appenditure.... I'm 53. Didn't take any ED meds. Now tell me how that happened? It sure wasn't the beta block I'm on. I'm on 2 blood pressure meds and my blood pressure tends stay around 145/90. I can live with that.

24. Link to Post #37
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,348 times in 21,474 posts

Sorry about your heart situation, Foreverfan. Looks like you have it under control - good for you! Have you watched the documentary "Forks over Knives"? It is available on Netflix and is an amazing documentary where they show that heart disease, Type 2 Diabetes and other degenerative diseases are reversible.
    A long review of the nutritional claims in the "Forks over Knives" movie can be found at “Forks Over Knives”: Is the Science Legit? (A Review and Critique). This review is by Denise Minger, who became well known for her critique of T. Colin Campbell’s “The China Study”. She's awesome. The "Forks over Knives" movie is flawed on many levels.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

nearing (22nd August 2012)

26. Link to Post #38
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,951 times in 812 posts

A small note on growing goji's, where I live the most production bushes only get morning sun(East facing) and their roots shaded, like under a rock wall.
    Why not now?

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nomadguy For This Post:

Arrowwind (18th August 2012), Conchis (18th August 2012), nearing (22nd August 2012)

28. Link to Post #39
    Thanks

Growing your own goji berries

http://www.gojiberriesblog.com/2011/...-goji-berries/

Some people spend all their money on fresh fruits, vegetables, and healthy supplements. They end up with foods of varying quality and often an empty wallet. Others grow them at home and invariably save quite a bit of money. Growing fruits and vegetables scare some people, though. Even the earthiest people may be turned off by more exotic fruits. However, there are some exotic foods that are still in reach. Goji berries, as esoteric as they seem, are easy to grow.

As with any prospected garden, starters must first be obtained. These starters can either be small plants or seeds. Sprouts can be little shoots harvested from a larger plant or seeds that have begun to grow. Goji shoots sometimes will look like small twigs, but with some attention they will quickly perk up. They are quicker than seeds, there’s more guarantee that they will grow, and berries will appear sooner, but prices tend to be higher. The other alternative, getting seeds, can be purchased cheaper in larger quantities. Both choices have appeal to different people depending on their patience and price ranges.

Once the starter plant or seed has been obtained, it’s ready to grow. There are a few conditions to consider when planting goji berries. Young roots are more susceptible to cold and may die in it. It would be best to plant the starter in late spring when the temperature is around 60 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Alternatively, one could keep it indoors or in a greenhouse where it stays warm. One should also put the plants in a well lit area. Sunlight produces bigger and better berries. Bury them under a thin layer of dirt and water daily. Skip watering on days that it rains, and make sure that the soil is well drained. After a few months, the plant should start growing rapidly.

The first few months of growth are slow, but with time it speeds up. The plant will grow around two to three feet tall and get bushy. It will start to look like a large tomato bush in shape and size. Goji plants sprout long leaves and little purple and white flowers. These flowers will stay until the first frost hits and kills them all off.

The first year of a goji plant’s life is the hardest. It’s at its weakest point when it’s young and is vulnerable to the cold. After that year, however, it becomes a hardy plant that needs less attention. It’s significantly more likely to survive the harsh winters and will grow big, thick stems to retain its strength. To maintain its health and nutrition, it’s recommended to fertilize the plant. Under these conditions, the plant will thrive and grow large, so the keeper may want to keep it pruned and under control. If taken care of, the plant will produce bigger and better berries with every passing year.

Growing plants at home is easy and provides quite a few benefits. People will admire the attention the plants have received and inquire about secrets for nurturing good berries. One’s home will also benefit from the fresh fruit and clean air a little extra greenery provides. Growing fruit at home will also save all the money otherwise spent at the local farmer’s market. Sometimes it may be a little hard when gardening for the first time, but with some practice and a little patience, anyone can grow their own food.

http://www.gojiberriesblog.com/2010/...-goji-berries/

These berries can be grown anywhere, in any type of soil or climate. For that you need to have the following things: – Seed of the plant, a particular area where you want to grow it, soil, water, access to ample amount of sunlight.

Once you have arranged for all these things, you need to plant the seeds in the soil. It would be better if the soil is organic in nature. The plant should be kept inside for the at least 6 months. Goji plants remain very fragile in their initial years and need utmost care along with a lot of water and sunlight. You can shift the plant outside in the garden after 6 months. You should have patience as goji plants do not produce berries for the first 2 years. It is important to prune your plant on a regular basis as it will help to yield a higher crop. Try to keep away your plant from animals to avoid damage.

http://www.gojiberriesblog.com/2012/...i-berry-plant/

Commercially grown in different regions around the Yellow River in China, including the Himalayans and Tibet, goji berry plants can also thrive in the northern hemisphere. They will flower from June through September and the berries will begin to ripen from July to October. It is important to note that a goji plant grown from seed will only produce berries after its third year in the ground.
    If you are planning on growing your own goji berries at home the following guide on how to care for them will be useful:
    Step #1 – Planting
    Plant you goji berry plant after the last frost and ensure that you plant your goji berry plant in a location that has proper drainage. If not, you’ll have to add some organic material, such as compost. This will help it to drain, as the plant is drought resistant and the root system does not require a lot of water.
    Step #2 – Location
    You will want to plant your goji berry plant in a place that is exposed to sunlight for the majority of the day. Although it does not require a lot of water, you can help speed up the growth by watering it more often if your city does not receive a lot of rainfall. If it rains more four times a month you will not need to add any additional water.
    Step #3 – Protect Your Plant
    This is especially important in the beginning stages, as mentioned it takes three years for the plant to produce berries, so you will want to ensure you keep wildlife from eating the young shoots and leaves of the plant. Gardening fence and netting works well to keep both animals and birds away.
    Step # 4 – Pruning
    Goji berry plants, if left on their own, can grow up to 8 feet tall, and although the larger the plant the more berries it will produce it is best to prune your plant to the size of a small bush. You won’t get as many berries each year, but they will be larger and the plant will be easier to care for and protect from wildlife.
    If you follow these four simple steps to take care of your goji berry plant, in just three short yearws, you will be well on your way to growing your very own goji berries from home.

Where to Grow Goji Berries

http://www.gojiberriesblog.com/2008/...-goji-berries/

Okay, so your biggest expense will be the pots, no doubt about it. That is, if you even need a pot. If you live in an area that doesn’t get colder than -15 F (-26 C), then you might be all right to just grow the berries outside.
    If you are going to make a little patch to grow Goji berries on your lawn, you may choose to just remove an area of grass. Then, put down some soil and some organic matter and seaweed fertilizer, then you would have yourself a nice Goji garden.

If growing in pots, you can save money by getting creative here. If you can get access to a wooden barrel, cutting it in half would give you two nice, large, decorative pots that can be used to grow a few Goji plants in. If you have the money, you can always just buy a few large pots too. You’ll probably need a few of them to get a decent amount of berries growing.

Organic Seaweed Fertilizer: http://www.gojiberries.us/seaweedfertilizer.aspx
    Last edited by Arrowwind; 22nd August 2012 at 06:33.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

foreverfan (22nd August 2012), nearing (22nd August 2012), nomadguy (22nd August 2012)

30. Link to Post #40
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,205 times in 1,064 posts

A long review of the nutritional claims in the "Forks over Knives" movie can be found at “Forks Over Knives”: Is the Science Legit? (A Review and Critique). This review is by Denise Minger, who became well known for her critique of T. Colin Campbell’s “The China Study”. She's awesome. The "Forks over Knives" movie is flawed on many levels.
    I, too, am a Denise Minger fan. She is a skilled logistician. She chews flawed studies apart and spits them out, with humor!
    "In science, I discovered, you cannot find the Truth."
    --Marcel Messing (during an interview with Bill Ryan)

We demand Tesla technology

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nearing For This Post:

CdnSirian (22nd August 2012), ThePythonicCow (22nd August 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2