Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst 1 11 21 31 36 LastLast

Thread: Bible Topics and Questions

1. Link to Post #401
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,691 times in 13,806 posts

Default Re: Bible Topics and Questions

Apologies if this has been posted on this thread before I would just like this cleared up quickly instead of reading through 20 pages of posts.

My question is about the Building of the Temple of Solomon.
    Just who actually built it was it the demons that Solomon had charge of or was it Hiram Abiff?
    Was/Is Hiram a demon?
    Was this fact (or not) apart of his secrets?
    Did ths building actually exist?

Again I am sorry if these are newbie questions its just I'm at a different point on my path to the truth.

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

AwakeInADream (27th December 2012), kreagle (28th December 2012), panopticon (28th December 2012), thunder24 (29th December 2012)

3. Link to Post #402
    United States Avalon Member kreagle's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,513 times in 551 posts

Quote Posted by panopticon (here)
    Quote Posted by kreagle (here)
    Our Catholic 'friends' have endeavored to divide His Godhead, by three, and established this dogma, ( three separate 'persons', or 'Deities'), at the Council of Nicaea 325 A.D.

Of course, one can 'choose to believe' whatever they wish to believe,....in this regards. Personally,.....I 'choose' to take a closer look at what the Scriptures actually say, and what they have always taught mankind.
    G'day Kreagle,

At the time of the First Council Of Nicaea there were many factions within Christianity that were all duking it out over what was and what wasn't acceptable dogma.

There are lots of references to the period leading up to and following the First Council and what was going on in both the Roman Empire (for example there were lots of powerful religions fighting over control which many believe may have led to Constantine's [debated] conversion to Christianity) and the other regions that Christianity existed in.

It's a very fascinating period in the early construction of Church doctrine and is extremely helpful in understanding how aspects of Christianity, and in particular Catholicism, came to be.

Here's a translation of the Creed:

Quote The Nicene Creed

The Synod at Nice set forth this Creed.
    The Ecthesis of the Synod at Nice.

We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, maker of all things visible and invisible; and in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the only-begotten of his Father, of the substance of the Father, God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten (γεννηθέντα), not made, being of one substance (ὁμοούσιον, consubstantialem) with the Father. By whom all things were made, both which be in heaven and in earth. Who for us men and for our salvation came down [from heaven] and was incarnate and was made man. He suffered and the third day he rose again, and ascended into heaven. And he shall come again to judge both the quick and the dead. And [we believe] in the Holy Ghost. And whosoever shall say that there was a time when the Son of God was not (ἤν ποτε ὅτε οὐκ ἦν), or that before he was begotten he was not, or that he was made of things that were not, or that he is of a different substance or essence [from the Father] or that he is a creature, or subject to change or conversion — all that so say, the Catholic and Apostolic Church anathematizes them.
    Source.
    The term consubstantial is an interesting one and was used to breech the gap between the various Christian groups who were trying to gain dominance/control of doctrine in this period. It essentially means that there is only one God 'substance or essence' and that the trinity is just an expression of that essence so we mere mortal fools can understand the great and unknowable expression of his supreme and superior glory (or something to that effect).

That's as I understand it anyways.

Good way to avoid infighting by saying everybody is right (expect the few heretics who they persecuted, tortured and/or excommunicated [anathematize]).

Hope you found this interesting.
    Kind Regards,
    Panopticon

BTW the doctrine of the Trinity gradually developed through the First Council of Constantinople (in 360 under the rule of Emperor Constantius II) and then another First Council of Constantinople (in 381 under the rule of Emperor Theodosius I).
    Yeah, that's right 2 first councils...

So in 360 they came up with this:
    Quote But since the term ousia [substance or essence], which was used by the fathers in a very simple and intelligible sense, but not being understood by the people, has been a cause of offense, we have thought proper to reject it, as it is not contained even in the sacred writings; and that no mention of it should be made in future, inasmuch as the holy Scriptures have nowhere mentioned the substance of the Father and of the Son. Nor ought the subsistence of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit to be even named. But we affirm that the Son is like the Father, in such a manner as the sacred Scriptures declare and teach. Let therefore all heresies which have been already condemned, or may have arisen of late, which are opposed to this exposition of the faith, be anathema.
    Source.
    So the doctrine of the Trinity originated, as I understand it anyway, because people (ie "the faithful") were having difficulty understanding the use of 'essence or substance'. The Trinity became doctrine because of this and was later confirmed by Theodosius I.

The end result was that the Trinity doctrine helped to (yet again) overcome infighting between the various factions struggling for dominance/control while labelling those they didn't like as 'heretics'.

I really do hope you found this informative as I think it's a very interesting stage in the development of Church doctrine (I miss RedeZra, he'd have known this inside out and upside down and would have explained it much better than I).

panopticon,

Brother, you've actually done an admirable job, ( especially with your 'edited' update). The information you've provided simply verifies what I have known for some time, in that the Catholic doctrine of the 'trinity' was conjured up,......then defined,......and put into practice many, many years after the formation of the 'original Church' was founded, on the Day of Pentecost, in the Book of Acts, ( Acts 2:48). The events of Acts, chapter 2, when the 'original Church' was born was approximately 30 A.D.

Along with this 'defining moment', ( as presented by your accurate 'edited' post), came their 'updated version on baptism' and how it was to be administered, which was in direct contradiction, ( and violation), to the 'original Church's' directives of Acts 2:38. The 'original Church' always, ( and exclusively), baptized in the 'name of Jesus', and NEVER baptized in the 'triune formula of the Trinity' of 'in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost'.

To those who wish to avail themselves to 'study', they will find that this is well documented,....even in many of their, ( Catholic), documentations.

Quote CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA, 1913 Edition, volume 2, Page 265: "They acknowledge that the original formula for baptism was 'in the Name of Jesus', but the Pope changed it."
    The following are 'actual accounts' of baptism being carried out, per the Scriptures.

Quote (Actual Baptisms performed by the Apostles)

1) Acts 2:37-38,....the "Day of Pentecost"....3,120 souls,...."Church began"!

Acts 2:37-38 (KJV)

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

2) Acts 8:14-17,....."Church" established in Samaria

Acts 8:14-17 (KJV)

14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:

16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

3) Acts 10:43-48,......."gentile believers"....Cornelius and household added to "Church"

Acts 10:43-48 (KJV)

43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

(note.....while it may be pointed out, the KJV, .....does not specifically mention "a name", here,....."all" of these Bible versions,......The New International Version, Revised Version, Amplified Version, Living Bible, Greek Interlinear (the "original" text), Common English Version, Contemporary English Version, English Standard Version, GOD'S WORD Translation, Good News Translation, Holman Christian Standard Bible, J.B. Phillips New Testament, Lexham English Bible, The Message, Mounce Reverse-Interlinear New Testament, New American Standard Bible, New Century Version, Worldwide English (New Testament), and Wycliffe Bible,.....DO ALL state,......"in the name of Jesus Christ"!,......It is equally noteworthy to recognize that the Complete Jewish Bible has it recorded, as follows........"48 And he ordered that they be immersed in the name of Yeshua the Messiah. That's "JESUS",.....to you and me!)

4) Acts 19:1-7,......The 12 disciples of John the Baptist re-baptized

Acts 19:1-7 (KJV)

19 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,

2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

7 And all the men were about twelve.
    We've just now observed "four actual baptismal accounts", in the Scriptures,....by the Apostles,....who "had their understanding opened, that they might understand the scriptures." ( Luke 24:45)

Now,.....let's look at "The Great Commission", given by Jesus, in Matthew Chapter 28.

Quote Matthew 28:16-20 (KJV)

16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.

17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

It should be especially noted,.....and recognized, here, .....that Jesus wanted "more" out of His Apostles than for them to "merely recite the words", that He spoke and directed to them in this passage! He wanted them to "specify the NAME",......His NAME,.....JESUS,......and "they DID just that",.....they baptized "exclusively" in the name of Jesus,.......EVERY SINGLE TIME !!!.

Look at verse 19, one more time,.......He said,...."in the name,......of the Father,....and.....of the Son,......and......of the Holy Ghost".

A "single" name was to used and "implemented" here,.......AND IT WAS,......by those who understood Him",......they "exclusively" baptized in the name, (singular), of Jesus!,......."fulfilling what Jesus meant in the Great Commission",.....and not "just reciting His words".

The Apostles fully understood,.....that the "name", (singular),.....of the Father,...Son,....and Holy Ghost,......was.......JESUS!

There is absolutely "no baptismal accounts",......ZERO,.......where the Apostles,.....or anyone else,......EVER baptized,.......using "or" reciting,......the phrase,......"in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" To do so would have meant to "exclude" the "actual NAME"!

(In conclusion)

Sadly, in the "face of Scriptural proof",.....there are many who say that it really doesn't matter,.......that "as long as your heart is right",.......any "baptismal formula" will suffice.

"If" that's correct,......why don't we see,....."EVER",..... the Apostles "ever using" an "alternative formula"?

Could it be that they understood there was only one way to "correctly" perform Baptisms?

Could it be that they understood that there would only be "ONE NAME" that could possibly be used in the act of "obtaining one's salvation"?

Could it be that they understood "that name" to be,.........JESUS???

'Whatever you do',......don't exclude the 'name of Jesus!'

Quote Acts 4:10-12 (KJV)

10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

I 'prayerfully' hope this will benefit someone,..........kreagle
    Last edited by kreagle; 28th December 2012 at 10:20. Reason: date of 'original Church' added
    ***Death***************Burial***************Resurrection***

Quote 1 John 2:6 (KJV)

6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

( Obedience to Acts 2:38 enables us to 'spiritually' walk down our own personal pathway to Calvary with our own personal Cross!)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kreagle For This Post:

AwakeInADream (28th December 2012)

5. Link to Post #403
    Australia Avalon Member panopticon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,008 times in 2,305 posts

panopticon, Brother, you've actually done an admirable job,
    G'day Kreagle,

Glad you liked it.
    I added the section concerning when the Trinity doctrine was adopted by the Church for completion of the post as I felt it might seem that I was saying that the Trinity was not part of the early Churches doctrine (post 360 CE) and it most certainly was.
    Again, glad you liked it.
    Kind Regards,
    Panopticon
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.
    The only consequence is what we do."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

AwakeInADream (28th December 2012), kreagle (28th December 2012)

7. Link to Post #404
    Thanks

Quote Posted by K.W.B (here)
    Apologies if this has been posted on this thread before I would just like this cleared up quickly instead of reading through 20 pages of posts.

Just who actually built it was it the demons that Solomon had charge of or was it Hiram Abiff?
    Was/Is Hiram a demon?

Again I am sorry if these are newbie questions its just I'm at a different point on my path to the truth.

K.W.B.,

Hey brother!, been awhile since I've heard from you! We have not discussed the topic of 'Solomon's Temple' yet. I really need some clarifications from you on your following statements,.....

Quote Just who actually built it was it the demons that Solomon had charge of or was it Hiram Abiff?
    Was/Is Hiram a demon?
    It appears that your questions are derived from some source 'outside of the Scriptures' that I am totally unfamiliar with. I know of no 'demons that Solomon had charge of' at any time. Please help me understand where you are coming up with this type of question, so that I might completely answer your question.

Of course, anyone else can 'jump right in' with their 'expertise' if you feel led to.

Love and Peace,......kreagle

6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

( Obedience to Acts 2:38 enables us to 'spiritually' walk down our own personal pathway to Calvary with our own personal Cross!)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kreagle For This Post:

AwakeInADream (28th December 2012), panopticon (28th December 2012), Star Tsar (28th December 2012)

9. Link to Post #405
    Thanks

Quote Just who actually built it was it the demons that Solomon had charge of or was it Hiram Abiff?
    Was/Is Hiram a demon?
    It appears that your questions are derived from some source 'outside of the Scriptures' that I am totally unfamiliar with. I know of no 'demons that Solomon had charge of' at any time. Please help me understand where you are coming up with this type of question, so that I might completely answer your question.

Of course, anyone else can 'jump right in' with their 'expertise' if you feel led to.
    G'day Kreagle,

The legend of Hiram is talked about in:
    1 Kings 7 & 2 Chronicles 2

I didn't know anything about him being a demon.
    Quick search bought up references to Masonry so looks to be something to do with them though from my quick glance there wasn't any mention of demons.

K.W.B. you might be interested in the documentary series (based on the book) 'The Bible Unearthed' by Archaeologist Professor Israel Finkelstein (this links to his site where he has some of his more interesting papers).

The third one deals with the archaeological evidence for King David and King Solomon:

Kind Regards,
    Panopticon
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

AwakeInADream (28th December 2012), Star Tsar (28th December 2012)

11. Link to Post #406
    Thanks

Quote G'day Kreagle,

The legend of Hiram is talked about in:
    1 Kings 7 & 2 Chronicles 2

I didn't know anything about him being a demon.
    Quick search bought up references to Masonry so looks to be something to do with them though from my quick glance there wasn't any mention of demons.

panopticon,

Yes, I'm quite familiar with the biblical references to King Hiram, and actually have a 'partial reply' ready for K.W.B., to that regards. I decided to 'hold off' on my reply until I specifically heard where he was coming from on the 'demon' issue. I'm like you, I haven't heard that angle, but I do know it's not supported by scriptures. Likewise, I'm familiar with the 'Masonry' side of it, too, per historical findings.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kreagle For This Post:

AwakeInADream (28th December 2012), panopticon (28th December 2012)

13. Link to Post #407
    Thanks

G'day Kreagle,

Just a quick question for you.

Is King Hiram, King Huram and the artisan named Hiram all the same person?

I thought Hiram the artisan from 1 Kings 7 was not King Hiram (or as I thought King Huram, as in 2 Chronicles 2, who 'sent a cunning man' namely Hiram the artisan)?

I'm not trying to be a smart arse here, I really thought they were different people.
    Kind Regards,
    Panopticon

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

AwakeInADream (28th December 2012), Star Tsar (28th December 2012)

15. Link to Post #408
    Thanks

G'day Kreagle,

Just a quick question for you.

I thought Hiram the artisan from 1 Kings 7 was not King Hiram (or as I thought King Huram, as in 2 Chronicles 2, who 'sent a cunning man' namely Hiram the artisan)?

I'm not trying to be a smart arse here, I really thought they were different people.
    Kind Regards,
    Panopticon

Hey brother,

No problem on the question. You are correct, in that they are two different people.

Link: http://masonic.wikidot.com/hiram-king-of-tyre
    Quote Hiram was one of the most noted of all the Kings of Tyre; he was contemporaneous with both David and Solomon, and on intimate terms with both. Like Solomon, he was much disposed to mysticism; tradition has it that the two kings often exchanged enigmas for solution. In legendary Masonry, Hiram, King of Tyre, was Grand Master of all Masons, and Hiram Abif was Master of the Order in Jerusalem. Viewing the Temple after its completion he recognized the preeminence of the Great Architect of the universe in its perfections, and yielded the supremacy in Masonry to Solomon Jedediah as the representative of Jehovah. In the symbolic supports of Masonry he represented the pillar of strength, because, "by his power and wealth he assisted the great undertaking." Legendary Masonry represents him as frequently visiting Jerusalem for consultations with Solomon and the chief architect Hiram Abif during the construction of the Temple. Formed friendly alliance with David… — ( 2 Samuel 5:11 ) — Supported Solomon in the building of the Temple… — ( 1 Kings 5:1-11 ) — Supplied workmen and material for the construction of the Temple… — ( 1 Kings 9:26-28 - 2 Chr. 2:3-16 ) — Refused 20 cities offered to him by King Solomon… — ( 1 Kings 9:10-12 - 2 Chr. 8:1,2 )

Your brother, friend, and servant,.......kreagle
    Last edited by kreagle; 28th December 2012 at 10:40.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kreagle For This Post:

AwakeInADream (28th December 2012), panopticon (28th December 2012)

17. Link to Post #409
    Thanks

Hey brother,

No problem on the question. You are correct, in that they are two different people.

Link: http://masonic.wikidot.com/hiram-king-of-tyre
    Quote Hiram was one of the most noted of all the Kings of Tyre; he was contemporaneous with both David and Solomon, and on intimate terms with both. Like Solomon, he was much disposed to mysticism; tradition has it that the two kings often exchanged enigmas for solution. In legendary Masonry, Hiram, King of Tyre, was Grand Master of all Masons, and Hiram Abif was Master of the Order in Jerusalem. Viewing the Temple after its completion he recognized the preeminence of the Great Architect of the universe in its perfections, and yielded the supremacy in Masonry to Solomon Jedediah as the representative of Jehovah. In the symbolic supports of Masonry he represented the pillar of strength, because, "by his power and wealth he assisted the great undertaking." Legendary Masonry represents him as frequently visiting Jerusalem for consultations with Solomon and the chief architect Hiram Abif during the construction of the Temple. Formed friendly alliance with David… — ( 2 Samuel 5:11 ) — Supported Solomon in the building of the Temple… — ( 1 Kings 5:1-11 ) — Supplied workmen and material for the construction of the Temple… — ( 1 Kings 9:26-28 - 2 Chr. 2:3-16 ) — Refused 20 cities offered to him by King Solomon… — ( 1 Kings 9:10-12 - 2 Chr. 8:1,2 )

Your brother, friend, and servant,.......kreagle
    G'day Kreagle,

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Kind Regards,
    Panopticon

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

19. Link to Post #410
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,691 times in 13,806 posts

Quote Posted by K.W.B (here)

Was/Is Hiram a demon?

K.W.B.,

Hey brother!, been awhile since I've heard from you! We have not discussed the topic of 'Solomon's Temple' yet. I really need some clarifications from you on your following statements,.....

Was/Is Hiram a demon?

Yes I picked it up from the legend of Hiram Abiff from masonry and after a bit of research I can say that this question is formed totally out of my confusion.
    As Abiff was Solomon's artificer it kinda pricked my interest as I was/am aware of the mason's myth & I really like to learn more about his CRAFT.
    I find this topic quite interesting...

Thanks Kreagle your work on here is regal!
    I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

21. Link to Post #411
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,913 times in 540 posts

This may be of interest to you K.W.B.
    Manly P Hall wrote a chapter on 'The Hiramic Legend' in his 1928 book 'The Secret Teachings of All Ages'.
    A link to the chapter here:http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/sta18.htm

I read that Isaac Newton was at one time obsessed with the proportions of The Temple of Solomon,
    and that aspect of sacred geometry interests me too.

Thank's Kreagle for providing us with this valuable thread!

This link may be helpful to those interested in studying The Bible in it's original Hebrew and Greek,
    the free scripture study software Davar3 comes with dictionaries and lexicons, I find it very useful:http://www.davar3.net/index.htm

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AwakeInADream For This Post:

kreagle (28th December 2012), Star Tsar (28th December 2012)

23. Link to Post #412
    Thanks

Quote Yes I picked it up from the legend of Hiram Abiff from masonry and after a bit of research I can say that this question is formed totally out of my confusion.
    As Abiff was Solomon's artificer it kinda pricked my interest as I was/am aware of the mason's myth & I really like to learn more about his CRAFT.
    I find this topic quite interesting...

Thanks Kreagle your work on here is regal!

K.W.B and AwakeInADream,

I thank both of you for your kind words of appreciation. Please stick around and make yourselves 'regulars' on this thread for we still have a plethora of material to cover that will be enriching to 'all'.

K.W.B.,

I'm not sure how much more help I can be concerning your curiosity dealing with the 'Masons'. As I pointed out in my response to panopticon, I am familiar with their history, ( and teachings), but I also acknowledge that the 'Masonic Order' commonly falls 'outside of the boundaries of His Word'. While Solomon's 'chief architect Hiram Abif' chosen profession made him a prime candidate for this group, I'm not completely persuaded that he actually belonged to it at the time of the building of Solomon's Temple. We only have the 'historical account' of this, and that from the 'Mason's point of view'. I do see, now, how you were able to associate the 'demonic' side to your question, for I originally failed to connect the 'masonic side' to what you were trying to bring out.

God Bless both of you!,.......kreagle

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kreagle For This Post:

AwakeInADream (28th December 2012), Star Tsar (29th December 2012)

25. Link to Post #413
    Thanks

Thank's Kreagle!

If you'll forgive my ignorance/laziness can you point me towards the section of the Bible that tells of the building of Solomon's Temple?

I always thought that there was some kind of 'magic' involved in it's construction,
    but it's quite likely that I'm confusing and mixing different sources together in my mind
    and getting confused about what the good book actually says.

I think that the magical/demonic aspect of the story (as I understood it),
    may have come from reading about Jewish Mysticism pre-dating Masonry.

I wonder would you consider Jewish tales and commentaries outside the scope of this thread?

Also, can you recommend any specifically Christian commentaries that I might find useful?

Whilst I am a Christian, I do like the Cosmology presented in the Jewish Kabbalah,
    and of course the Kabbalah has converted many Jews to Christianity by showing proof's of the divinity of Christ
    in The Old Testament through the use of Gematria and other methods.
    I'm pretty convinced that Moses knew who Jesus was.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AwakeInADream For This Post:

kreagle (29th December 2012), Star Tsar (29th December 2012)

27. Link to Post #414
    Thanks

Quote Posted by AwakeInADream (here)
    Thank's Kreagle!

If you'll forgive my ignorance/laziness can you point me towards the section of the Bible that tells of the building of Solomon's Temple?

I always thought that there was some kind of 'magic' involved in it's construction,
    but it's quite likely that I'm confusing and mixing different sources together in my mind
    and getting confused about what the good book actually says.

I think that the magical/demonic aspect of the story (as I understood it),
    may have come from reading about Jewish Mysticism pre-dating Masonry.

I wonder would you consider Jewish tales and commentaries outside the scope of this thread?

Also, can you recommend any specifically Christian commentaries that I might find useful?

Whilst I am a Christian, I do like the Cosmology presented in the Jewish Kabbalah,
    and of course the Kabbalah has converted many Jews to Christianity by showing proof's of the divinity of Christ
    in The Old Testament through the use of Gematria and other methods.
    I'm pretty convinced that Moses knew who Jesus was.

Quote If you'll forgive my ignorance/laziness can you point me towards the section of the Bible that tells of the building of Solomon's Temple?
    In order to give you a solid, chronological order of events begin in 1 Kings Chapter 5, verse 1,....and read through 1 Kings 7:51. These 'three verses' will give you an 'unbroken' order of events, and are indeed very fascinating and informative. For your convenience, I have provided a link from 'BibleGateway.com' that will automatically pull up the recommended verse from the KJV, which I most commonly use. Once you read those 18 verses in chapter 5, click on the ' > ' button, highlighted in light gray, and it will take you to the next chapter, Chapter 6. Repeat this 'process' to go on to chapter 7, and you will have finished reading the Bible's version, my friend!

Link: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...+5&version=KJV

Quote I wonder would you consider Jewish tales and commentaries outside the scope of this thread?
    I am always happy to entertain any commentaries, information, that directly, ( or indirectly), refer to the Bible and It's teachings. My only concerns is for those who wish to provide such documentation, with the 'sole' point of trying to disprove and discredit the Scriptures themselves. This 'mentality' invariably always leads to arguments/debates which I have made specifically clear in my OP is not to be conducted on this thread. I hope, ( and trust), that you would understand this simple request and requirement. If you've read very many of these posts, here, you will find that there have been, ( and, no doubt, will be again), a few disagreements, here and there, which is to be expected, and should be tolerated. For the most part everyone has conducted themselves admirably with only a very few 'minor' infractions that were then dealt with. Just read the OP again, and proceed with common sense, and civility, and everything should be perfectly fine and 'fruitful' for everyone concerned. This is every one's thread!!!,.....as I've pointed out on numerous occasions, so make yourself at home, brother!, ( and 'all' sisters!)

Quote Also, can you recommend any specifically Christian commentaries that I might find useful?
    Additionally, the 'BibleGateway.com' site offers some excellent commentaries that should more than prove to be useful to you. At the top of each verse you might bring up you will see the words, ' Show resources' on the right side of the verse itself. Simple 'click' on it and it will open a variety of commentaries to select from. I will also mention that you will notice a 'drop down box' feature that will allow you to select another version of the Bible, if you prefer another version other than the King James Version.

I trust you will find this 'fruitful' for all of your future endeavors, brother!

Your brother, friend, and servant,.........kreagle

P.S. I like your 'ending line', brother!,.....
    Quote I'm pretty convinced that Moses knew who Jesus was.
    Your 'exactly' right, brother,....when Elijah the Prophet and Moses stood before Jesus at 'The Transfiguration' , ( Mark 9: 4), I can assure you that they didn't need any 'formal introduction'. They fully knew that they were standing in the presence of their Lord God, Himself,......God 'now' manifested in the flesh!

Quote 1 Timothy 3:16 (KJV)

16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

God Bless, again!,.....kreagle
    Last edited by kreagle; 29th December 2012 at 23:05.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kreagle For This Post:

AwakeInADream (29th December 2012), Star Tsar (30th December 2012), TOTHE (30th December 2012)

29. Link to Post #415
    Thanks

Excellent resource!(biblegateway.com) Thank's Kreagle!
    P.S. I did read the OP and I fully agree with keeping all communications on this thread respectful and hence constructive.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AwakeInADream For This Post:

kreagle (29th December 2012), Star Tsar (29th December 2012)

31. Link to Post #416
    Thanks

From 'Saul',....to.....'Paul',......What made the difference?

Paul candidly made the following observation concerning his own 'personal' conversion.

Quote 1 Timothy 1:14-16 (KJV)

14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.
    Quite frankly, Paul is readily admitting, here, that he was unsurpassed by 'all of mankind' when it came to being a sinner. He clearly saw himself at the 'top of the heap' of human history for transgressing against God, and freely admitted as much with this statement, in verse 15 above.

To anyone who might be struggling with 'unworthiness', verse 16 is tailor-made for them, for it's message plainly reveals,...."if God will save Saul of Tarsus, then God will save me, too!" ( And He 'will,... and does' too!)

So,......what 'precisely' turned this 'horror story', ( Saul of Tarsus,.....Church Enemy #1), into a 'glorious Christian event', ( The Apostle Paul,......Church Builder?) What 'made the difference?'

In order to fully understand, ( and appreciate), what 'made this difference', one needs to,... 'first', focus on 'what remained exactly the same' to begin with! What was it about Saul of Tarsus, that 'didn't change one bit' in his overall conversion, ( and radical transformation), to become the Apostle Paul?

The scriptures tell us that Saul was an extremely well-educated man of his day, brought up, ( or taught), 'at the feet of Gamaliel'. ( Acts 22:3) This same Gamaliel was a 'teacher of the Law', noted for his learning, and was president of the Sanhedrin during the reigns of Tiberius, Caligula, and Claudius. Under Gamaliel, Saul would have started out as a 'scribe', in his early years of tutelage, and then would have graduated to the rank of a Pharisee as a young adult. Pharisees were considered the 'lawyers of their day', and as such, knew the Law, inside and out. His account of this is recorded in his Epistle to the Philippians.

Quote Philippians 3:4-6 (KJV)

4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:

5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;

6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
    As I pointed out in a recent post ,( #398), the children of Israel never had a problem 'understanding the quantity of God', ( neither do they 'today'), and have always recognized Him as 'One' in quantity, and that He had absolutely no rivals. He was God,....and God, alone, and any other 'recognized entity/deity' was simply an idol,.....a false god!

'Godhead 101',....to Israel was 'always' defined as follows,......
    Quote Deuteronomy 6:4 (KJV)

4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:
    In light of the above statement,...and passage,...what held true for the children of Israel was especially embedded in the heart of Saul of Tarsus, ( the Pharisee). He 'knew within a shadow of a doubt' that there was 'One' God,....and no other,....nor would he have ever entertained any such notion of altering this ingrained belief in God. ( Separate 'persons' of the Godhead did NOT exist, ( nor were they taught), during Israel's birth as a nation or consequent history.)

Saul's belief in 'One' God remained 'exactly as it was to begin with' as he was completely transformed from 'Saul,.....to......Paul' on that fateful day and journey to Damascus!

Quote Acts 9:1-6 (KJV)

9 And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,

2 And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.

3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

Saul of Tarsus, ( Pharisee that he was), undeniably knew that the force that was responsible for sending him to the ground, was none other than the Lord God, Himself. When Saul requested for the Lord to 'identify Himself',....( ie. "Who art thou, Lord?"),.....it was the equivalent to Saul saying,....."Who art thou, God?"

Remember!,.......
    Quote Deuteronomy 6:4 (KJV)

4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:

Of course, we see our Lord God identifying Himself by His 'New Testament' name by replying to Saul's query saying,....."I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks."

Saul of Tarsus had just been 'personally introduced to God', in the most personal way that you can be introduced, and that was the actual revelation of His name. His name was, (and is),..... JESUS!,.....and Saul would never be the same again!

'Personal introductions to God',.....( that 'special moment' when you come face-to-face with Him and understand who He really is),.....are the 'golden moments of life' that will 'make all the difference' in your personal world! It did for Saul of Tarsus, ( turned Paul), back then,......and it will certainly do the same for you today! As with Paul,....the 'radical change' in your personal life will be more than you can possibly understand.

The 'name' of Jesus will change you forever,....pure, plain, and simple! You'll never be the 'same' again! Paul wasn't,.....and neither will you,.....if you will just 'position yourself' to receive this great revelation.

Quote Matthew 11:27 (KJV)

27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.
    When the 'Son',..( that is to say the 'Flesh of God'), pulls back the 'veil of that flesh',....you will see, ( and recognize), nothing but the 'Father', ( God, Himself).

The 'veil' was opened for Saul of Tarsus and totally revealed the God he had always been taught about, from his youth to his adulthood. Out of this 'revelation' came the Apostle Paul.

What a 'change' the name of Jesus makes!

God Bless!,......your brother,.......kreagle

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kreagle For This Post:

AwakeInADream (29th December 2012), HORIZONS (30th December 2012)

33. Link to Post #417
    Thanks

1 Kings 6:7
    Quote 7 And the house, when it was in building, was built of stone made ready before it was brought thither: so that there was neither hammer nor axe nor any tool of iron heard in the house, while it was in building.
    I think this may be the source of the confusion concerning the 'magical' building of the Temple of Solomon. The fact that 'there was neither hammer nor axe nor any tool of iron heard in the house' may have lead some to believe that no tools were used, but in fact all of the parts were built elsewhere and simply quietly fitted together in reverence when they arrived at the sacred site of the Temple itself.

So The Temple of Solomon may have been one of the worlds first 'flat packed' houses.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AwakeInADream For This Post:

kreagle (30th December 2012), Star Tsar (30th December 2012)

35. Link to Post #418
    Thanks

1 Kings 6:7
    Quote 7 And the house, when it was in building, was built of stone made ready before it was brought thither: so that there was neither hammer nor axe nor any tool of iron heard in the house, while it was in building.
    I think this may be the source of the confusion concerning the 'magical' building of the Temple of Solomon. The fact that 'there was neither hammer nor axe nor any tool of iron heard in the house' may have lead some to believe that no tools were used, but in fact all of the parts were built elsewhere and simply quietly fitted together in reverence when they arrived at the sacred site of the Temple itself.

So The Temple of Solomon may have been one of the worlds first 'flat packed' houses.
    AwakeInADream,

This is Matthew Henry's commentary on what you have brought out.

1 Kings 6 - Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Bible

The building of Solomon's temple.

The temple is called the house of the Lord, because it was directed and modelled by him, and was to be employed in his service. This gave it the beauty of holiness, that it was the house of the Lord, which was far beyond all other beauties. It was to be the temple of the God of peace, therefore no iron tool must be heard; quietness and silence suit and help religious exercises. God's work should be done with much care and little noise. Clamour and violence often hinder, but never further the work of God. Thus the kingdom of God in the heart of man grows up in silence, Mr 5:27. (1Ki 6:11-14)
    I agree with his comments, up to ( but not including), this point he makes.

Quote God's work should be done with much care and little noise. Clamour and violence often hinder, but never further the work of God. Thus the kingdom of God in the heart of man grows up in silence
    I imagine that his religious background caused him to surmise this ideology, which in turn influenced him, ( and others), to frown upon those who had 'lively Church services with song, worship, etc.' It is a shame, ( and Scripturally unsound), that some Christians feel they should not 'express themselves in Church'.

Quote Psalm 95:1 (KJV)

95 O come, let us sing unto the Lord: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.

God Bless,.......kreagle

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kreagle For This Post:

AwakeInADream (30th December 2012), Star Tsar (30th December 2012)

37. Link to Post #419
    Thanks

Oh! I agree that you can make as much noise in church as you want as long as it's joyful and thus has a vibration of love about it.

My thinking on the construction of the Temple of Solomon is that perhaps the violent clashing of hammers is perhaps not the kind of
    vibration you would want to stick around at the formation of such a holy place. Unless of course the workers could be said to hammer joyfully.

Perhaps those that cut the stone were not considered as being as reverent as those who were designated to place them?
    (since the workers followed a different ideology?)

I've noticed myself that the 'vibrations' within all kinds of churches, cathedrals and other holy places I have visited are all kind of special,
    and I get the feeling that this quality about them has been nurtured over many years.

(Also David was a master musician wasn't he? I myself am still looking for his 'secret chord'. I know God loves music!)

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AwakeInADream For This Post:

kreagle (30th December 2012), Star Tsar (30th December 2012)

39. Link to Post #420
    United States Avalon Member TOTHE's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank's Kreagle!

Your 'exactly' right, brother,....when Elijah the Prophet and Moses stood before Jesus at 'The Transfiguration' , ( Mark 9: 4), I can assure you that they didn't need any 'formal introduction'. They fully knew that they were standing in the presence of their Lord God, Himself,......God 'now' manifested in the flesh!
    Dear kreagle;
    To this day Jesus, Elijah and Moses are involved in a project with us that has been in the works for thousands of years.

The quote below is from the bio in this link:
    http://www.thomastwin.com/3%20A%20Autobio.html

Quote ..................... while working on a construction site on June 3rd, 1966, I fell down a 37 foot piling shaft, crushed one of my vertebrae to half size, badly fractured two others and tore all my inner organs out of place. A few days after that, I died and had a Near Death Experience during which I met and talked with Jesus, Elijah and Moses, in a scene which mirrored The Transfiguration. We discussed a "project" in which we were all involved, a project which had to do with the development of human spiritual consciousness and which involved many thousands of people over thousands of years. I describe the NDE in detail in both The Thomas Book and The Prayer of Silence, since it is at the base of the relationship I established with Yeshua (Jesus), which allowed me to write The Thomas Book, and which opened up to me the inner nature of human consciousness in a dramatic way and gave me clues to practicing and teaching the kind of meditation I later learned from spiritual sources and wrote into The Prayer of Silence. The rest of my life was given focus and impetus in the Near Death Experience. It is the pivot on which everything else swings.
    Bruce’s website
    http://www.thomastwin.com/
    Email:
    TheThomasBook@gmail.com

First 150 pages of The Prayer of Silence from Google Books:
    http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...donald&f=false

First 40 pages of The Thomas Book..pages 107-241 have the channeled ‘Thomas Speaks: The Gospel Texts’ and are not shown here.
    http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...ed=0CDsQ6AEwAA
    Last edited by TOTHE; 30th December 2012 at 18:58. Reason: capital T in The Transfiguration

40. The Following User Says Thank You to TOTHE For This Post:

AwakeInADream (30th December 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst 1 11 21 31 36 LastLast