Thread: Toxic dentures

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,620 times in 20,704 posts

Default Toxic dentures

I just had dentures made for the first time to the tune of almost $2,000, and had a toxic reaction to them. I used Fixodent the first time I wore them, and had a reaction to that too, but just the denture itself also gave me the usual symptoms--fatigue, giddiniess, inability to focus, belching, loss of appetite, depression. I tried wearing it without the cream and got sick all over again. I soaked the denture in water with aluminum-free baking soda for a couple days after the first experience with Fixodent, then wore them again without the cream but was toxed out again.
    I talked to my dentist, but he did not want to hear a word I was saying. He is an ADA man all the way, by his own admission.
    I did a little research on the Net, but didn't find much about dentures. There is a huge battle going on still over mercury amalgams and there are lots of people suing Fixodent and other companies that make creams with toxic inorganic zinc, but I didn't find a lot about toxins in dentures.
    Anyone have any experience with this?
    The best answer would be if there is a way to test the dentures for toxins and then hopefully, remove the toxins.
    I am really sensitive to chemicals, so I may be a good candidate for a new "test case", though I really don't want to go through anything like that.

2. Link to Post #2
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Re: Toxic dentures

Oneawah...My Mum had a similar problem, with sores forming at the corners of her mouth etc...after a top plate was fitted...Send me a private message with your address, and I'll send you a couple of tubes of the stuff that helped her. Is your plate fitting properly?...I don't know what an ADA man is!..isn't fixodent some kind of horrible goo that tastes horrible?

Can I help dear onawah?..let me know if I can

Rimbaud

3. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Fixodent, Poligrip and a few others of those denture creams are currently being sued (and the dentists that recommend them) because they are toxic from inorganic zinc. And yes, Fixodent tastes horrible and is the most disgusting, plastic shade of poisonous hot pink!

The problem is not because the denture isn't fitting right--it's that something toxic seems to be leaching out of it into the roof of my mouth. I believe it's made of acrylic, which contains many toxins.

Supposedly, dentures these days are heat treated in some way that prevents the chemicals from leaching out. I don't know if that doesn't actually work, or if perhaps it's just that my denture wasn't properly made. But I was definitely having a toxic reaction, feeling fatigued, spacy, no appetite, listless and belching a lot, which I always do when I'm releasing toxins.
    I would like to find a lab that could test it and see if it's toxic, and if it's possible, to treat it so that it will stop leaching chemicals.

An ADA man is a dentist who subscribes totally to everything the American Dental Association has to say, including that mercury amalgams aren't toxic and other such folly.

4. Link to Post #4
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

just recently I had dentures made for em after a considerable period of needing and not having teeth , the gag reaction kicked in soon as they inserted the stuff to form the mold and every stage after that, somethign to do with the inorganic nature of the stuff they are made with

I have an extreme tolerance to anaesthetic so usually need to get double or even tripple dosed with that (when I had few remaining teeth repairred)

for years I had mercury based fillings in me teeth from about 6 years of age , (I had eight at that age) hence my later removal of teeth (long story)

I now have dentures I can't wear cos of the taste of the chemicles in them ( I wear a beard for this purpose)

I tried soaking them in salt water and after the salt water wears off I taste the chemical plastic and start dry retching again

maybe it's past life thing ( yes I seriously considering this as it would explain other "dentistry issues as in having had teeth removed without anaesthetic )

5. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rimbaud (here)
    Oneawah...My Mum had a similar problem, with sores forming at the corners of her mouth etc...after a top plate was fitted...Send me a private message with your address, and I'll send you a couple of tubes of the stuff that helped her. Is your plate fitting properly?...I don't know what an ADA man is!..isn't fixodent some kind of horrible goo that tastes horrible?

Can I help dear onawah?..let me know if I can

Rimbaud
    Thanks for your kind and generous offer, Rimbaud.
    I'm not sure your mother had the same problem as I am having, though.
    My problem is not because of ill fitting dentures or bacteria, it's from reaction to the chemicals in the denture, similar, no doubt, to what Bluestflame is describing, which I can certainly commiserate with.

Although my dentist has told me that it is impossible for me to be having a toxic reaction to the denture, and that there is much proof to that effect, I don't believe that, but unless there are some scientific studies or test cases proving him wrong, it will be difficult to prove my point. There are people in the alternative/wholisitic health field who have been dealing with these issues, but they don't have the backing of chemical companies who pay millions to have lab studies done. They just have common sense and the testimony of people they've helped.

What Bluestflame says, that his denture is leaching chemicals which make him ill and soaking in salt water, only gives temporary and partial results, is what I suspect is the reality I will also discover to be the case.

I wonder if there is any kind of non toxic material from which dentures are currently being made.

Putting a manmade substance right up against the roof of my mouth for hours on end is a daunting prospect.
    If there is any kind of toxin in that substance, it would seem likely that it would penetrate right into one of the most critical regions of my body--my brain!

I guess I would really rather go without if that is the only non toxic solution.

6. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

onawah, sorry to hear of your denture dilemma.
    My advice to you is to contact Dr. Len Horowitz, arguably the best authority on dental health we have.
    http://www.drlenhorowitz.com/ ...contact link at top left section of page.

7. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Goldenserenity's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    I just had dentures made for the first time to the tune of almost $2,000, and had a toxic reaction to them.
    WOW! My husband had a pair of dentures made for him (Upper and Lower) for only about 400.00 here in Missouri. The way they fit him perfectly he had no reason to use an adhesive to keep them in. Are you sure they are fitting you properly?

8. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Curative (here)
    onawah, sorry to hear of your denture dilemma.
    My advice to you is to contact Dr. Len Horowitz, arguably the best authority on dental health we have.
    http://www.drlenhorowitz.com/ ...contact link at top left section of page.
    Thanks Curative, I will definitely check that out.

Golden Serenity wrote: "WOW! My husband had a pair of dentures made for him (Upper and Lower) for only about 400.00 here in Missouri. The way they fit him perfectly he had no reason to use an adhesive to keep them in. Are you sure they are fitting you properly? "
    I have not gone back yet for the first fitting after receiving the denture. It's not a problem with fit, as I explained in my other posts. It's a toxic reaction.
    Some dentures cost more because they are made to last longer and because they are designed to fit around existing teeth, and for other reasons. From what I understand, the cost was not too high for what I am supposedly getting. It may just be that I am exceptionally sensitive to whatever chemicals are in the acrylic, and since I don't fit in the "norm", there is not a lot of information with which to work.
    But I have yet to check Len Horowitz's site! Hopefully that will have some answers.

9. Link to Post #9
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Fixodent, Poligrip and a few others of those denture creams are currently being sued (and the dentists that recommend them) because they are toxic from inorganic zinc. And yes, Fixodent tastes horrible and is the most disgusting, plastic shade of poisonous hot pink!

The problem is not because the denture isn't fitting right--it's that something toxic seems to be leaching out of it into the roof of my mouth. I believe it's made of acrylic, which contains many toxins.

Supposedly, dentures these days are heat treated in some way that prevents the chemicals from leaching out. I don't know if that doesn't actually work, or if perhaps it's just that my denture wasn't properly made. But I was definitely having a toxic reaction, feeling fatigued, spacy, no appetite, listless and belching a lot, which I always do when I'm releasing toxins.
    I would like to find a lab that could test it and see if it's toxic, and if it's possible, to treat it so that it will stop leaching chemicals.

An ADA man is a dentist who subscribes totally to everything the American Dental Association has to say, including that mercury amalgams aren't toxic and other such folly.
    Sorry,

I was just trying to help your folks onewah.

Rimbaud

10. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks

It's not a problem with fit, as I explained in my other posts. It's a toxic reaction.
    Some dentures cost more because they are made to last longer and because they are designed to fit around existing teeth, and for other reasons. From what I understand, the cost was not too high for what I am supposedly getting. It may just be that I am exceptionally sensitive to whatever chemicals are in the acrylic, and since I don't fit in the "norm", there is not a lot of information with which to work.
    But I have yet to check Len Horowitz's site! Hopefully that will have some answers.
    Maybe you are experiencing a toxic overload in your body causing these sensitivities. This site explains pretty well I think.

http://www.cssa-inc.org/Articles/Toxic_Load.htm

11. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Goldenserenity (here)
    Maybe you are experiencing a toxic overload in your body causing these sensitivities. This site explains pretty well I think.

http://www.cssa-inc.org/Articles/Toxic_Load.htm

Thanks again to everyone for your input.
    I am pretty knowledgeable about this subject, since I've known for a long time that I am chemically sensitive. I have been following a very clean diet and doing a lot of detoxing for a long time, in fact, being aware of the issues around environmental and physical toxicity has been an ongoing commitment for me.
    The Fixodent and the dentures are the only new toxic things I've been exposed to recently, so it's really just the denture toxicity that I am attempting to zero in on. There just doesn't seem to be much about it as yet that's gone public.
    Thanks again for your suggestions and good wishes.

12. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thanks again to everyone for your input.
    I am pretty knowledgeable about this subject, since I've known for a long time that I am chemically sensitive. I have been following a very clean diet and doing a lot of detoxing for a long time, in fact, being aware of the issues around environmental and physical toxicity has been an ongoing commitment for me.
    The Fixodent and the dentures are the only new toxic things I've been exposed to recently, so it's really just the denture toxicity that I am attempting to zero in on. There just doesn't seem to be much about it as yet that's gone public.
    Thanks again for your suggestions and good wishes.
    The more I am with this forum, the more I see it to be filled with ungrateful and whiny people. It's a highly negative forum!

I apologize for giving you helpful information and information given is not totally for you...the one who starts the thread. Other people do read the posts and may find it helpful or informative.
    If you are so knowledgeable about this subject, then why even bring this topic up??

I'm done and I'm outta here!

13. Link to Post #13
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Well, I really didn't mean to offend anyone.
    When I'm having a toxic reaction, I tend to get a bit obsessed with finding the help I need, and am generally not feeling very sociable or chatty.
    It's difficult to relax and enjoy, go with the flow, etc. when you are spaced out, nauseous, depressed, fatigued and generally creeped out!

Apparently GoldenSerenity was already on her way out, so I'm not going to take on any burdens for her reaction to my posts.
    However, if I've been insensitive to anyone, I do apologize.

+ Reply to Thread