+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wind Moods and Metereopathy

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default Wind Moods and Metereopathy

Need your help. Originally I am coming from the country which traditionally has names for sixteen types of winds and each of them is associated with different types of moods: for example so called “tramuntana”(Greeks referred to this wind as Zephir) is a healthy North-West wind, which is attributed to a good mood, inspiration, and a standard Summer pattern; “šiloko” is the wind that changes directions and usually ends up turning South, bringing the weather change, rain, and storms, usually a very warm weather, so the mood change and irritation, aches, and pains in any formerly fractured bones is attributed to this type of a wind; there is “bura”—the sharp North wind which clears weather, and, therefore, clears minds, but you should not go anywhere with the sailing boat at that time, because the wind pushes you off the shore, it is not good for fishing at all; “južina” is a strong South wind which brings headaches, more deaths , asthma, heart problems, and especially lots of excessive or irritable behaviors that are attributed to this type of a wind; “levanat” is a type of North-East wind, which is associated with a irritated behavior or withdrawal from social connections, and it is also counter-clock wise. Even today, when the weather prognosis is broadcasted in my country of origin all winds that will affect weather in next two days are described thoroughly and on the area map are placed sad or smiley faces. At first, when my husband had seen this, he couldn’t stop laughing, but over the years he has begun to open his mind, although he still teases me a lot saying that this is just a not valid excuse for a bad day.

Now, I am not living any longer close to any sea (imagine my sad face), but I feel awful whenever I experience the counter-clock wise winds—I do not feel good whenever is the East or North-East, which are the counter-clock wise winds. I know it is a funny question, but if you have read “Death in Venice” written by Thomas Mann, the novel setting is associated with the influence of the South winds at Venice, which brings all kinds of moral and health decays at play. Does anybody here in the USA have any theories or interpretations of the weather association, specifically winds, with the moods? Is there a common understanding that connects the weather patterns and human behaviors in literature, common sense knowledge--old sayings, or research?

In the "Old Country" if you would talk to the old people, they could predict weather for you precisely for next few days according their mood observations and pains and aches. "My back hearths--it will be 'siloko' tomorrow"-and these old people were 99.9% right... Did you hear in the USA similar expressions anywhere? Does anyone knows about the field of study that would discuss the weather patterns and human behavior?
    Last edited by ivaray; 26th August 2012 at 05:35. Reason: New Ideas

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ivaray For This Post:

Heart-2-Heart (23rd September 2012), Kristo (26th August 2012), Matisse (26th August 2012), modwiz (23rd September 2012), Samsara (26th August 2012), westhill (24th September 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Wind Moods and Metereopathy

Here the tramuntana is almost feared because it is so strong, when at full force it can almost drive you half crazy,
    it is nearly impossible to be outside for any length of time because you can barely walk. The mistral isn,t so bad,
    though it is sort of a nervous wind, but not nearly as itense as the tramuntana, although in southern France I
    think the mistral is looked upon more like the tramuntana here.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matisse For This Post:

ivaray (26th August 2012), modwiz (23rd September 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Moderator Marianne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,392 times in 2,258 posts

Hi Ivaray,

There is a lot of weather lore in the U.S., similar to what you say about the Old Country. I found a document online, about weather lore: http://www.archive.org/stream/weathe...auoft_djvu.txt

You might try googling it for more. Best of luck, and hopefully some Avalonians will have more to say.

The four wind directions are associated with certain attributes. I use it occasionally in my witchcraft work, but because you have to wait for the wind to change to the direction you need, I often don't have the patience, or need to do something sooner.

Here are some basics from a website: http://www.oocities.org/dystinia/wind.htm

Wind correspondences

East wind belongs to new ventures and blesses ambition with energy. Call upon it for courage, patience and clarity.

South wind favors love, imagination and fulfillment. Use it in love enchantments and to achieve harmony in close relationships.

West wind erases doubt, guilt, fear, envy,and hate. It will renew confidence and restore hope.

North wind brings with it wisdom. It transcends the other winds as asource of spiritual strength. It protects and increases intuition and divinatory power.
    ---------------
    And here's a quote about the four winds:

"Heed the North wind's mighty gale:
    lock the door and trim the sail.
    When the wind comes from the South,
    love will kiss you the on the mouth.
    When the Moor wind blows from the West,
    departed spirits have no rest.
    When the wind blows from the East,
    expect the new and set the feast. "
    [Extract from The Wiccan Rede by Doreen Valiente]

I hope that helps a little.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marianne For This Post:

Heart-2-Heart (23rd September 2012), ivaray (26th August 2012), modwiz (23rd September 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Matisse (here)
    Here the tramuntana is almost feared because it is so strong, when at full force it can almost drive you half crazy,
    it is nearly impossible to be outside for any length of time because you can barely walk. The mistral isn,t so bad,
    though it is sort of a nervous wind, but not nearly as itense as the tramuntana, although in southern France I
    think the mistral is looked upon more like the tramuntana here.
    Thanks for clarification, yes, we do use "tramuntana" and "maestral" as interchangeable terms for daily North-West wind on the shore, which in the Summer time arises around 2 p.m. and lasts to 8 p.m. although in Italian the Tramuntana is a serious wind turning from Northwest to West and has some scary implications on the sea and on the shore.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ivaray For This Post:

modwiz (23rd September 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote East wind belongs to new ventures and blesses ambition with energy. Call upon it for courage, patience and clarity.

South wind favors love, imagination and fulfillment. Use it in love enchantments and to achieve harmony in close relationships.

West wind erases doubt, guilt, fear, envy,and hate. It will renew confidence and restore hope.

North wind brings with it wisdom. It transcends the other winds as asource of spiritual strength. It protects and increases intuition and divinatory power.
    ---------------
    And here's a quote about the four winds:

"Heed the North wind's mighty gale:
    lock the door and trim the sail.
    When the wind comes from the South,
    love will kiss you the on the mouth.
    When the Moor wind blows from the West,
    departed spirits have no rest.
    When the wind blows from the East,
    expect the new and set the feast. "
    [Extract from The Wiccan Rede by Doreen Valiente]

I hope that helps a little.
    Thanks so much for giving all of these information. It helps, and this part of your answer is precious to me. Recently I was reading some of my favorite European literature authors and I noticed how many of them, either in novels, or in poetry use the effects of either weather or winds to express various moods of the characters or to enhance the setting, which is used to describe the inner mood. So, I was wondering how do Americans connect with the weather, winds, meteorology. I will search more on the internet. I was wondering if someone in the Avalon project is knowledgeable about this topis.
    Last edited by Marianne; 26th August 2012 at 16:36. Reason: fixed quote :)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivaray For This Post:

modwiz (23rd September 2012), wynderer (26th August 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Equinox mood... this counts too...

http://www.raykarush.com/2012/09/23/...ion/#more-2477

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ivaray For This Post:

modwiz (23rd September 2012)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,998 times in 449 posts

ivaray--

I have "survived" the Mistral in France, the Santa Anas in Southern California, and the Chinook in Montana. Each one made me extremely agitated and unable to think clearly.

These all come from the north and are dry winds that bring an imbalancing influx of positive ions, which affect our body's electrical system.

I've used negative ion generator machines and experienced wonderful relief. Now I live next to the ocean--the grandest negative ion generator there is--in Oregon where there is a lot of rain--another wonderful negative ion generator.

Peace Love Joy & Harmony,
    Genevieve

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genevieve For This Post:

ivaray (7th October 2012), modwiz (23rd September 2012)

15. Link to Post #8
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

Quote Posted by ivaray (here)
    Equinox mood... this counts too...

http://www.raykarush.com/2012/09/23/...ion/#more-2477
    May I inquire as to which country you are referring to? I love learning more about cultures and informing me of yours would be appreciated by me.

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by genevieve (here)
    ivaray--

I have "survived" the Mistral in France, the Santa Anas in Southern California, and the Chinook in Montana. Each one made me extremely agitated and unable to think clearly.

These all come from the north and are dry winds that bring an imbalancing influx of positive ions, which affect our body's electrical system.

I've used negative ion generator machines and experienced wonderful relief. Now I live next to the ocean--the grandest negative ion generator there is--in Oregon where there is a lot of rain--another wonderful negative ion generator.

Peace Love Joy & Harmony,
    Genevieve
    You are right about positive ions charge. Sorry for my late response. Thanks for bringing this important piece of information to the panel.

17. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Sorry for my late response--I thought this discussion died, and I was swamped with work these days. I am referring to this little country, I think pictures speak in thousands words

http://croatia.hr/en-GB/Homepage

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ivaray For This Post:

modwiz (7th October 2012)

+ Reply to Thread