+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full of 5 Cents Coins

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,933 times in 348 posts

Default Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full of 5 Cents Coins

This morning more than 30 trucks filled with 5-cent coins arrived at Apple’s headquarters in California. Initially, the security company that protects the facility said the trucks were in the wrong place, but minutes later, Tim Cook (Apple CEO) received a call from Samsung CEO explaining that they will pay $1 billion dollars for the fine recently ruled against the South Korean company in this way.

the funny part is that the signed document does not specify a single payment method, so Samsung is entitled to send the creators of the iPhone their billion dollars in the way they deem best.

This dirty but genius geek troll play is a new headache to Apple executives as they will need to put in long hours counting all that money, to check if it is all there and to try to deposit it crossing fingers to hope a bank will accept all the coins.

Lee Kun-hee, Chairman of Samsung Electronics, told the media that his company is not going to be intimidated by a group of “geeks with style” and that if they want to play dirty, they also know how to do it.

You can use your coins to buy refreshments at the little machine for life or melt the coins to make computers, that’s not my problem, I already paid them and fulfilled the law.

A total of 20 billion coins, delivery hope to finish this week.

Let’s see how Apple will respond to this.

True or not, and it probably isn't, it's still funny

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rollo For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (29th August 2012), D-Day (29th August 2012), Kumonitori (30th August 2012), Maia Gabrial (29th August 2012), Nickolai (29th August 2012), Satkirn (29th August 2012), selinam (30th August 2012), shadowstalker (30th August 2012), skyflower (30th August 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member bmdb's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full of 5 Cents Coins

Your right it is a hoax http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/37840...coins-five.htm and it is still funny.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,150 times in 3,856 posts

Default Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full of 5 Cents Coins

Wouldn't it take MORE than 30 trucks? Whether this is a true story or not, I'm LMAO!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maia Gabrial For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (29th August 2012), conk (29th August 2012)

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by Maia Gabrial (here)
    Wouldn't it take MORE than 30 trucks? Whether this is a true story or not, I'm LMAO!
    A US nickel weighs 5 grams. A US nickel is worth 1/20 of a US Dollar. Thus one billion US dollars would be 20 billion US nickels, which would weigh 5 * 20 billion grams == 100 billion grams == 100 million kilograms == 100 thousand metric tonnes. If one truck could handle 100 metric tonnes (unlikely it's really that high) then this would take one thousand such trucks, not 30.

Large logging trucks in the US Pacific Northwest are allowed to haul up to 60,000 pounds on public highways, which is about 25 metric tonnes, 1/4 of the 100 metric tonnes I used in the previous paragraph. So make that four thousand (4000) trucks, not one thousand. Slightly higher, since this is California, not Oregon or Washington, so the public highway load limits are a bit less.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 29th August 2012 at 18:24.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (29th August 2012), Art (30th August 2012), DNA (30th August 2012), Maia Gabrial (30th August 2012), meeradas (29th August 2012), Rollo (29th August 2012), RunningDeer (30th August 2012), Satkirn (29th August 2012)

8. Link to Post #5
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    where ever there is a smile, ill be there :-)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,412 times in 1,702 posts

I love samsung

I tried the i pad versus the android and the android wins every time.

Looks like someone took a bite :-)

N
    N ( samsung fan o_O )

9. Link to Post #6
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    A US nickel weighs 5 grams. A US nickel is worth 1/20 of a US Dollar. Thus one billion US dollars would be 20 billion US nickels, which would weigh 5 * 20 billion grams == 100 billion grams == 100 million kilograms == 100 thousand metric tonnes. If one truck could handle 100 metric tonnes (unlikely it's really that high) then this would take one thousand such trucks, not 30.

Large logging trucks in the US Pacific Northwest are allowed to haul up to 60,000 pounds on public highways, which is about 25 metric tonnes, 1/4 of the 100 metric tonnes I used in the previous paragraph. So make that four thousand (4000) trucks, not one thousand. Slightly higher, since this is California, not Oregon or Washington, so the public highway load limits are a bit less.

Sigh, too bad, i trust the maths are correct, would have been funny as hell though..... i am for it.

10. Link to Post #7
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I wonder if that many Nickels exist.
    Hi, I will look you directly in your eyes and tell you wholeheartedly that I love you.

Will you run, or reciprocate?

11. Link to Post #8
    England Avalon Member DevilPigeon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,421 times in 560 posts

-----

If I had one trivial wish in this world (ie excluding world peace, PTB locked up, winning the lottery etc) then it would be for Apple to disappear in a big cloud of smoke, erased forever from the pages of history. Nasty company they are. Serial litigators.

As for the payment, funny as it is, it probably wouldn't constitute legal tender anyway. For example, in the UK, payment up to 50p (not sure on the exact amount) in 2p coins is legal, anything above that isn't legal (although it's discretionary, and I've never seen it enforced anyway)
    "Stop getting Bond wrong!" (Alan Partridge)

12. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

it would be hilarious if samsung actually ended up doing smthn like this. i had a good laugh reading this thread!

13. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 times in 246 posts

Quote Posted by Paul (here)

If they paid in quarters that are worth five times as much as a nickel it would take one fifth as many trucks, so 4000 / 5 = only 800 trucks!
    "What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, The master calls a butterfly."
    Richard Bach

14. Link to Post #11
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by WyoSeeker (here)
    If they paid in quarters that are worth five times as much as a nickel it would take one fifth as many trucks, so 4000 / 5 = only 800 trucks!
    A quarter weighs slightly more, 5.67 grams instead of 5.00 grams, so make that 800 * (5.67/5.00) == 907 trucks .
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

15. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

When I was a student in college, some students payed their institution fees with 1cents. Always thought it was a nice way to protest.

Maybe I should do that when income taxes comes around next year! =P
    "Every facet, every department of your mind, is to be programmed by you; and unless you assume your rightful responsibility, and begin to program your own mind, the world will program it for you." - the Crystal Method

16. Link to Post #13
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Would have been great if it were true.
    Not an Apple basher, though I really don't like how they work or things like this where they sue incredible amounts of money over patent rights and other things they say and do, they are not particularly fair to developers either.

17. Link to Post #14
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,445 times in 423 posts

Quote Posted by DevilPigeon (here)
    Nasty company they are. Serial litigators.
    It's not just Apple. I am told that Microsoft has engaged in all manner of dirty tricks to try to maintain their monopoly. I don't believe that the problem is rooted in the companies themselves, but in the nature of the corporate executive that is capable of succeeding at that level of management.

18. Link to Post #15
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    where ever there is a smile, ill be there :-)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,412 times in 1,702 posts

To get to that level of detachment from your own soul, it must be heart breaking watching your own self fade into nothingness, i just couldnt imagine being that hell bent on being the kid with the most toys. Boring

I wonder when was the last time any of these people took the time to watch a bee feed on a jasmine flower.

They are truly missing out

( personally i think they are the result of shi* parenting )

N
    N

19. Link to Post #16
    Australia Avalon Member nottelling's Avatar
    Thanks

Karma sometimes happens quickly.

http://www.mobot.net/chinese-manufac...5-design-47172

Quote This is one of the few stories of late to genuinely make me laugh out loud, or “LOL” if you prefer.

A Chinese manufacturer has created – and released – a knock-off iPhone 5, based on all those recent leaks. Better still, it’s gone and patented the design. Take that, Apple.

It’s called the GooPhone i5 (subtle!), and for all intents and purposes looks very much like an elongated iPhone 4S with a 4in display and smaller dock connector - which happens to be exactly what we’re expecting from the iPhone 5.

Other GooPhone i5 specs include a Tegra 3 quad-core processor clocked at 1.4GHz, 1GB of RAM, an 8MP rear camera, and a resolution of 1280 x 720. Yep, that’s an aspect ratio of 16:9.

Interestingly, the GooPhone i5 is said to rock a uniquely skinned version of Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) that looks not unlike iOS 6. Incidentally, I'm enjoying the Honeycomb (Android 3.0 for tablets) logo on the back.

The best part of all: having patented the iPhone 5-style design, the GooPhone i5 could pose problems for Apple when it comes to releasing the next iPhone in China. An amusing thought, for sure, but we’ll believe it when we see it.

In the meantime, check out this GooPhone i5 video over on – you guessed it – YouTube.

via: giz-China
    China is the hugest emerging market for genuine Apple products, which coincidentaly are all made there. If the Chinese patents hold water, then Apple will lose billions in potential earnings from iPhone 5 sales in China. Perhaps even $30 Billion?

China is still a communist country which means all businesses over there (including the product pirates and copycats) are either government-owned or heavily government-sponsored. Add Chinese patent laws into the mix and Apple could very well end up biting the slave-wage-earning hand that feeds it unless it pays an obscene amount of money to Goophone as "license fees" (lol).

As soon as it's released later this month, I'm grabbing a Goophone i5 with Apple branding and IOS lookalike Android 4.0 skin. Call it a silent protest, voting with my wallet - the thing that frightens corporate types the most.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Apple "rebrands" itself after its forthcoming temper tantrum against the Chinese government. Remember the Steve Jobs quotes from that 1996 documentary, Triumph of the Nerds"?

Quote “Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal”
    Quote "We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
    LOL

I never thought a Chinese knock-off manufacturer would be the one to bring balance to the Force. Fingers crossed for ya little Chinese buddy.
    Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nottelling For This Post:

bluestflame (6th September 2012)

21. Link to Post #17
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

just out of curiosity who actually owns apple now ?

22. Link to Post #18

23. The Following User Says Thank You to nottelling For This Post:

bluestflame (6th September 2012)

+ Reply to Thread