Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Fat, Sick and nearly Dead

1. Link to Post #1
    Australia Avalon Member DoubleHelix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 times in 438 posts

Default Fat, Sick and nearly Dead

DOCUMENTARY: FAT, SICK AND NEARLY DEAD

My diet has taken a profound change over the last 4 weeks. During this time a friend recommended a really good documentary which has left some long lasting effects. This has been making its way around the traps for quite some time now, I thought I'd bring it to a wider audience for those who have yet to come across it. Great for those looking to drop a few kilos and for anyone and who values their health and well-being.

Synopsis: It's a really informative and practical documentary about an Australian man (Joe Cross) who substitutes many years of questionable eating habits to a regimen of purely fruits and vegetables, delivered via a juicing machine. Highly inspiring stuff.

Enjoy

http://vimeo.com/39631864

Cheers,
    -Jack.

2. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to DoubleHelix For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (9th September 2012), annieVee (9th September 2012), another bob (9th September 2012), CdnSirian (9th September 2012), Chilli (15th October 2012), conk (10th July 2013), D-Day (9th September 2012), etheric underground (9th September 2012), fifi (9th May 2013), fourty-two (9th September 2012), Kristin (10th September 2012), Lettherebelight (8th May 2013), Limor Wolf (9th September 2012), Linda Joy Crutcher (8th May 2013), Lone Bean (10th September 2012), Mark (9th September 2012), Mike (10th July 2013), Muzz (9th September 2012), NancyV (9th September 2012), OnyxKnight (11th July 2013), Operator (10th September 2012), Padmé (14th October 2012), Ron Mauer Sr (9th September 2012), shadowstalker (9th September 2012), sheddie (9th September 2012), sigma6 (13th September 2012), TargeT (9th September 2012), Zampano (9th September 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member NancyV's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,067 times in 989 posts

Default Re: Fat, Sick and nearly Dead

I watched it several months ago. It's really well done and inspiring!
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NancyV For This Post:

another bob (9th September 2012), CdnSirian (9th September 2012), DoubleHelix (9th September 2012), Lettherebelight (8th May 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (9th September 2012), TargeT (9th September 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

In a juicing diet you iss out on the phytochemicals and fibers. Food is intended to be chewed, not gulped quickly. Blending with a blendtech may be a better solution than juicing

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eva08 For This Post:

CdnSirian (9th September 2012), D-Day (9th September 2012), DoubleHelix (9th September 2012), lookbeyond (12th October 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,658 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by DoubleHelix (here)
    DOCUMENTARY: FAT, SICK AND NEARLY DEAD

My diet has taken a profound change over the last 4 weeks. During this time a friend recommended a really good documentary which has left some long lasting effects. This has been making its way around the traps for quite some time now, I thought I'd bring it to a wider audience for those who have yet to come across it. Great for those looking to drop a few kilos and for anyone and who values their health and well-being.

Synopsis: It's a really informative and practical documentary about an Australian man (Joe Cross) who substitutes many years of questionable eating habits to a regimen of purely fruits and vegetables, delivered via a juicing machine. Highly inspiring stuff.

Enjoy

http://vimeo.com/39631864

Cheers,
    -Jack.
    My mom has asked me to watch this a couple times, she even fed me some dark liquid concoction while I was down in Oregon recently (it wasn't too bad!) I think I'm convinced from teh various people I know that have been "juicing" that I will try this very soon, perhaps the full 30 day "juice fast"

Quote Posted by eva08 (here)
    In a juicing diet you iss out on the phytochemicals and fibers. Food is intended to be chewed, not gulped quickly. Blending with a blendtech may be a better solution than juicing
    because the amount of veggies he puts into one "juice" would be impossible to eat 4x a day.... he is "super charging" his immune system.
    Last edited by TargeT; 9th September 2012 at 09:35.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

CdnSirian (9th September 2012), D-Day (9th September 2012), NancyV (9th September 2012), sheddie (9th September 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,557 times in 5,028 posts

I will add this documentary here. BBC Horizon program " Eat, Fast and live" on the health benefits of fasting.

When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (9th September 2012), CdnSirian (9th September 2012), conk (10th July 2013), D-Day (9th September 2012), Lettherebelight (8th May 2013), Limor Wolf (9th September 2012), NancyV (9th September 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    Australia Avalon Member nottelling's Avatar
    Thanks

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead is an inspiring doco.

I personally have zero interest in juicing all my food, but I can see how it could be of benefit as a stepping stone for someone having trouble transitioning from SAD (Standard American/Australian Diet) to Paleo/Primal.
    Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nottelling For This Post:

CdnSirian (9th September 2012), lookbeyond (12th October 2012), NancyV (9th September 2012), Padmé (14th October 2012)

13. Link to Post #7
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Quote Posted by eva08 (here)

Well then you toss in some pulp from the fruit/veggies you just juiced, problem solved, it works, i know i do it.

14. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,989 times in 1,749 posts

I started doing this Juicing diet last summer, (Australian summer) and it was really good-I got a bit jaded cleaning the Juicer all the time,
    but it started me off losing the worst of excess weight-Definitely a good move-going to start up again shortly.
    Great documentary, inspiring.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

annieVee (9th September 2012), CdnSirian (9th September 2012), DoubleHelix (9th September 2012), Limor Wolf (9th September 2012), lookbeyond (12th October 2012), NancyV (9th September 2012), nottelling (9th September 2012), seko (9th September 2012)

16. Link to Post #9
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 times in 699 posts

Hello Everyone:
    The juicing experience gets old very, very fast when you have to clean up a big juicer. The solution that I have found is to take the work out of it. I'm not promoting any products just simply stating the one I use which seems to do an excellent job. This way you get to keep the pulp which you don't get in the juicing machines.
    Here is a picture on Amazon strictly for reference only.

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Bullet-E.../dp/B000AEZVRS

If you check around they come with different options but the glasses that you just fill with fruit, vegetables etc. ,then screw the blender botton to the glass. Put the glass on the motor to blend and it's done that fast! My big juicer sits on the counter collecting dust since using it takes about 1/2 hour of cleaning instead of 1-2 minutes maximum.

Whatever you use have fun and enjoy. There's so many ways to make it easy now days to stay healthy.
    chancy

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chancy For This Post:

CdnSirian (9th September 2012), DoubleHelix (9th September 2012), lookbeyond (12th October 2012)

18. Link to Post #10
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

Supplementing my normal diet with the Joe Cross recipe for "Mean Green Juice" is a good way for me to add healthy raw green vegetables. Kale is the most nutrient dense food on the planet, twice the nutrition of spinach, I've read on the web.

I am not planning to go on a Mean Green fast for any length of time. Some people like the Mean Green taste. For me it is just OK. I try to drink 1/2 quart each day.

Here is the recipe for Mean Green juice:

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

CdnSirian (9th September 2012), conk (10th September 2012), DoubleHelix (9th September 2012), Limor Wolf (9th September 2012), Padmé (14th October 2012)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,422 times in 3,394 posts

I green juice every morning Its amazing
    I was using a blender and yes it's a drag to clean

I found a great solution though - a stick mixer
    Mine even has a detachable end so it's even easier to
    clean ... Down side is you have to chop things a little bit
    first to make ilt easier ... And pulp wise , well you have a
    choice how course or how fine you blend
    You can aslo add in some psyllium for extra fibre if that's an
    issue but you don't really need to

One way to take this to a whole new level is to grow your
    own greens it increases your vibration out of sight to eat food
    that fresh and that clean
    Last edited by astrid; 9th September 2012 at 19:29.
    The greatest privilege of a human life is to become a
    midwife to the awakening of the Soul in another person.”
    ~ Plato

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to astrid For This Post:

CdnSirian (9th September 2012), DoubleHelix (9th September 2012), Eram (9th September 2012), Gardener (11th July 2013), Limor Wolf (9th September 2012), lookbeyond (12th October 2012), nottelling (9th September 2012), seko (9th September 2012)

22. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

From what I hear the key is an easy to clean juicer (which I will spend some time today looking for), my mom has the one featured in this docu & seems fairly happy with it ( It only has like something like 3 pieces to it).

& if you don't use the fiber it's excellent for compost for your garden ( supercharge your soil!)
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    From what I hear the key is an easy to clean juicer (which I will spend some time today looking for), my mom has the one featured in this docu & seems fairly happy with it ( It only has like something like 3 pieces to it).

& if you don't use the fiber it's excellent for compost for your garden ( supercharge your soil!)
    I just now got off the phone with your Mom and told her that you were actually considering that this juice cleansing regimen might have some merit! LOL... We laughed. I guess she couldn't get you to watch the movie, but I've seen it a couple of times and I'm sure you'll like it.

Nancy
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyV For This Post:

lookbeyond (12th October 2012), TargeT (10th September 2012)

25. Link to Post #14
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,429 times in 21,488 posts

I've had one of the Omega 8000 series juicers for a year or two - excellent and quick to clean.

Though if I were in the market now for a juicer, I'd seriously consider their VRT330 vertical juicer instead. The VRT is apparently easier to clean, but less versatile. Compare them in this video: Juicing Wheatgrass in the Omega VRT 330 vs the Omega 8005 8006 Juice Off.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

DoubleHelix (9th September 2012), lookbeyond (12th October 2012), NancyV (9th September 2012), TargeT (10th September 2012)

27. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,086 times in 20,639 posts

I've been using an Omega 8003 for about 6 years now, and am very satisfied with it.

For cleanup, I just throw all the parts into a sinkful of hot, soapy water and let soak for awhile, then some quick swipes with a bottle brush does the rest.
    Occasionally I soak the parts in some water with bleach to remove stains.

Two good reason for juicing:
    One is that for many people, myself included since I have TMJ and wear dentures now, chewing an adequate amount of fresh fruit and vegies every day would be impossible and very painful if I were to try.
    I can get all the nutrition I need from drinking fresh juice (and it's not that difficult to take in the required amount of fiber).

The second reason has to do with the fact that much of the energy that the body uses every day goes to the digestion process.
    When you drink juice, much less energy for digestion is required, and the body is able to devote that saved energy to healing, cleansing or other action.

Another very beneficial addition to the diet is sprouted and fermented foods, which are much higher in nutritional content than in raw or cooked form, and in sprouted or formented form, foods are also much easier to digest and utilize, thus saving energy.
    Each breath a gift...

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

conk (8th May 2013), DoubleHelix (9th September 2012), Marianne (12th October 2012), NancyV (9th September 2012), Swanette (15th October 2012)

29. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Quote Posted by NancyV (here)

I just now got off the phone with your Mom and told her that you were actually considering that this juice cleansing regimen might have some merit! LOL... We laughed. I guess she couldn't get you to watch the movie, but I've seen it a couple of times and I'm sure you'll like it.

Nancy
    I watched it last night, good film, I like the "home made" feel of it (as that is where I'd rather get my information from)... & yes, you could say I've considered it.... haha

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Though if I were in the market now for a juicer, I'd seriously consider their VRT330 vertical juicer instead. The VRT is apparently easier to clean, but less versatile. Compare them in this video: Juicing Wheatgrass in the Omega VRT 330 vs the Omega 8005 8006 Juice Off.
    Excellent suggestion, this was the model I found through my research as well.

ended up with this today:

for simplicity we started with the "mean green" recipe (http://myjuicecleanse.com/juicer-rec...juice-recipes/ )

And it's very palatable, very "fresh" tasting and filling..

as for the juicer, we went with the Omega VRT350HD (Paul mentioned above, here's a good review: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Pj4rgiswdjI )

it worked just as advertised, I did pack a little too much kale in at one point but it was easily corrected & clean up took less than 2 min, it juices a bit slower than some of the high RPM versions but that was the biggest selling point for this one, its low speed so it doesn't heat the liquid & there are no great centrifugal forces separating everything so the juice does not separate & is very consistent. I'm going to get comfortable with different combo's of fruit and veggies and try to find a decent way to get them in larger quantities (tough in Alaska) before I start a fast, I'll definitely be supplementing meals until I'm ready however.
    Last edited by TargeT; 10th September 2012 at 02:01.
    Where are you?

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (10th September 2012), DoubleHelix (10th September 2012), gripreaper (12th October 2012), Lettherebelight (8th May 2013), NancyV (10th September 2012), Padmé (14th October 2012), Ron Mauer Sr (10th September 2012), ThePythonicCow (10th September 2012)

31. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Awesome, TargeT! Looks delicious! I sent your mom the photos. She'll think maybe she was a little bit of a good influence. LOL..
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot

32. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyV For This Post:

TargeT (10th September 2012)

33. Link to Post #18
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Awesome, TargeT! Looks delicious! I sent your mom the photos. She'll think maybe she was a little bit of a good influence. LOL..

Tell your mom, nomnomnomnom

34. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Quote Posted by 665 plumber of the beast (here)

Tell your mom, nomnomnomnom
    LOL....just to clear up any possible confusion, his mother and I are long time best friends and we talk (and gossip) almost every day.
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot

35. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyV For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (10th September 2012)

36. Link to Post #20
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Pffffffffffewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, thanks for clearing that one up, btw Target, there would be nothing wrong with having two moms.

( as long as one of them has a moustache)
    Last edited by 778 neighbour of some guy; 10th September 2012 at 11:52.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast