+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: College Stress Help For My Son

1. Link to Post #21
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,663 times in 349 posts

Default Re: College Stress Help For My Son

Wow, in just the time I took to write this post there have been several more responses. Looks like you have a lot of good suggestions. Meditation and hypnotherapy are both good ideas. Fear processing definitely. I’ll just share my little snippet of understanding in this area for what it’s worth.

My daughter has severe anxiety similar to what you describe only worse. I gave her St. Johns Wort but it didn’t really do what she wanted it to. It helped me years ago. Many other things we tried that she generally wouldn’t follow through on were valerian root, homeopathic remedies such as Rescue Remedy. They even have homeopathic gum and in a chewable gummy bear type form that you’ll find in the same section. I have a good friend who tells me they work great for her. My daughter just turned 18 and went to the doctor and did get an anti-depressant/anxiety medication and something fast working and stronger just for anxiety for situations that are more extreme. She has been having trouble in school for years, severe social anxiety etc. and I have to say she has been able to finally calm down and not be so reactive. It has helped her to handle school better as she is a Super Senior this year. I’m proud of her for not giving up. Nobody would know if they didn’t know her, she just seems really quiet. I have resisted and in fact delayed it all the way to her 18th birthday. Now she can make her own decisions and I can see no reason to tear her down for making different ones than I would. She knows how I feel about it but I have to say she does seem to be doing better. Just a perspective you don’t necessarily have to share. For myself I have long suffered from stress and since I work nights now I sometimes have trouble falling asleep. Valerian works great for me and so does Skullcap which can be easily grown from seed and reseeds itself every year. You can just eat the leaves fresh right from the garden which is what I do in the summer (maybe slip them into somebody’s salad – just kidding : )

As far as education goes, I can relate there too. I finally graduated with my BA in Psychology in the summer of 2010, not that long ago. I think everyone is motivated to put themselves through our modern education system for different reasons. For me it was a sense of completion and showing myself I could do it but it was still very stressful. Ask my family. My husband said he was going to get rid of all my books (throw them over board as we were living on a boat at that time) when I finally finished. Part of it was just the challenge of having a life, husband, and a daughter still at home etc. and the other part was forcing myself to do something I didn’t want to do at times, but I still derived a great deal that was positive, in retrospect, from the experience that is hard to measure. True, when I learned a subject on my own or taken certain classes I liked it was more enjoyable but I know many people who had to suffer through classes on their way to their desired professions that they less than enjoyed and I truly do think that the push during finals and in general is not just about learning the subject matter but testing your endurance and discipline. I think they do it on purpose and to a large extent it’s totally unnecessary. But hey, if you want to be a nurse, veterinarian, and many other things you still pretty much have to jump through the standard hoops to get there.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spiritwind For This Post:

Eram (14th September 2012), WhiteFeather (13th September 2012)

3. Link to Post #22
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,123 times in 3,535 posts

Hey mate,

Taking palliative actions like herbs and meditation will help, but only superficially.

In this case, it´s essential that you find, understand and eliminate the root/cause of the problem.

Take your time and ask yourself why are you so anxious? Seriously, you have to find the cause. Make it a priority.

I would guess that maybe Nursing is not your true vocation and your mind/body is trying to tell you. Just a guess anyway. There can be several other reasons.

If you feel like you´re not able to find out the root of the problem by yourself, which is quite normal actually, I would highly advice you to do psychotherapy sessions with a good psychologist, specially a Jungian psychologist if you can find one near you.

Cheers,

Raf.

PS: You have a very nice father. Listen to his advice.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RMorgan For This Post:

annieVee (13th September 2012), Eram (14th September 2012), modwiz (14th September 2012), Reaver (13th September 2012), WhiteFeather (13th September 2012), Wind (13th September 2012)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,790 times in 463 posts

scared of failing, maybe he should just adress the issue of what if something goes wrong, not the end of the world he can just retake it again. He needs to stop setting himself up to fail by stopping thinking that he will not achieve his goal. Some people make themselves so nervous and set themselves up to fail by not thinking that they can do it. Confidence and the reality of it's not the end of the world if something goes wrong. Some people also feel extra pressure of failing the people they love. Sometimes you have to take one step back to see the whole picture. Also excersize in a gym or jogging is a great stress relief.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pugwash84 For This Post:

7. Link to Post #24
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,447 times in 356 posts

Hi Littlefeather,

First of all, I admire you for having the courage to ask for help.
    I found university tough, even though I was studying the subjects I wanted to.

My suggestion would be:

- First find an aromatherapy oil that you like and find relaxing. I would strongly suggest jasmine. If that is not to your liking, then maybe frankinsense, or lavender. Put a drop on your shirt just before class.

- Then learn EFT ( emotional freedom technique ). You just need to learn which points to tap, and then when you feel anxious just keep tapping. You don´t really need to do the affirmations, or phrases. Just tap. In fact there is a really easy version of tapping you can do in class, with your hands hidden under the table so no one can see Face your palm downwards and tap firmly on the outside side of the thumb ( the right side ) at the bottom part of the nail, then do the same on each finger.

Here´s a good site, even has a video for students with anxiety http://www.eftdownunder.com/SET.html
    Last edited by Swan; 15th September 2012 at 18:33.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swan For This Post:

Eram (14th September 2012), Poly Hedra (26th September 2012), WhiteFeather (13th September 2012)

9. Link to Post #25
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

As others have already said, it might not be your 'path', on the otherhand, it very well may be, but there's a small part of it that feels uncomfortable to you in some way - waiting there to be faced and overcome.

How many times have we feared things in our lives only to then face them and wonder what all the fuss was about?
    I know it's anything but easy at the time but it's worth looking into it deeper to ensure you're clear on what's triggering it.

My suggestion would be to sit down and really go within and ask yourself if you really like the idea of nursing. Does it excite you? Does it 'feel' like work or something you feel a calling for and love doing? Be honest with yourself and if the answer is no, then take a look at other things.
    It may even be just one small part of the studying process that causes the reactions you described; many people get nervous in social situations or feel pressured, which doesn't mean you dislike what you're studying or that it's not your path in life.

You best guide is always within, as long as you're honest with yourself. As mentioned above; ask yourself questions and feel how you react to them, keep getting more specific and wait for those reactions you described. Hopefully this may help you to narrow it down to exactly what is causing this, be it your choice of study, the environment, the situation, the people, whatever - you have your own internal compass, see where it points.

Good luck - you'll do great.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nerge For This Post:

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Help pass the medical marijuana law that helps with depression, appetite, and mellow feeling about the world's outlook if effort and solutions, that you may one day provide, flow.
    Your father probably won't want to hear this, but this site is supposed to be truthful. Make sure you highlight your reading sessions on your chapters in your paid for books. Summarization of chapters should be put in notes, that trigger the correct answer, when key words on the test, ask for the answer, and you recognize them in your conscious as you took the notes. The day before a test, go over the notes, and any that don't trigger, go back to the chapter, as nursing or medical courses are long. Ergo the need for highlighting and the key words of a paragraph written on the side of the highlighted paragraph.

Photo graphic memory of an answer, used to help me. Try some match flash cards, to tune up your memory capasity using medicing measurements.

Good luck, we need more good nurses. You don't have to thank me, it's just good study habits I picked up along my medical career. Also remember most of the chapters in your books, are at least 17-34 pages long, so highlight, highlight and key word summarizations, will aid you in your grade levels. If you are really serious about it as I was, try setting aside a day or two of play, for going ahead a chapter or two, and when the professor goes to the chapter, it's almost like a review of what you already started processing on those days off. I used to finish the whole book in 4 or 5 months when bored, and all through the year, the class was like a review, and I was able to pick up the vital information through the teacher, that I may have not known about when i went over it.

Take the healing of a body seriously because it is, and remember if God didn't want you to have this skill, you wouldn't have been led to try it. If you don't like it, your next pursuit should be something you enjoy doing also. Life is at least 80 - 100 years, so during your prime health and mind learning years, you should take advantage of those youthful blessings of body that sustains whatever you want to do in life. As you age, around 40 your eyes go, and you spend 3 years denying it's happening. But it is. So use what God gave you and make the best for yourself and others in the world. My husband has a saying. Just be the best you can be. Be it a father, mother, son, daughter, grandmother, or grandfather, plumber, turd shoveler, snow blaster garderner, doctor, nurse, or whatever, just be the best you can be.

We need more people like that in the world.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,271 times in 1,763 posts

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Houman For This Post:

15. Link to Post #28
    United States Avalon Member intruth's Avatar
    Thanks

Littlefeather/Mark,
    I had problems with anxiety when I quit a full time job to enter a full time MBA program. I got a script for xanax (yes I needed a crutch too). For me, the pills were an insurance policy, there if I needed them. I only used a few, but they did get me off the ceiling. Anxiety is horrible. I feel for you. Since this is your Jr year, I would have thought you would have developed some better coping mechanisms. This is not a criticism, just an observation. You seem to be pushing yourself pretty hard if you are a Jr at the age of 19, in a difficult program to boot.

My only suggestion, would be to try to lighten your load. Can you drop a class or 2 and take a little longer to get through or is this unnacceptable?

I don't find the pharma solution to be unreasonable, given the pressure you are under. I wish you the best!
    intruth

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to intruth For This Post:

17. Link to Post #29
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 times in 1,149 posts

My daughter used to experience this when trying to read and study. What worked for her was listening to Baroque music while in a learning mode. This music has been shown to change brain waves and allow learning to occur at astonishing rates. Scientists actually discovered the link. She became an excellent student who could learn new things at lightening speeds. In fact she began to enjoy reading and studying and would come out of her room in a great mood after she was done for the day.

Other than that... his reaction when entering the classroom sounds like an empathic one. Hmmm... I am a very sensitive empath, and it has taken me a lifetime to learn how to remain somewhat balanced in a crowd. I have learned that being with a good friend who is not this way is a great anchor for me, as is learning to walk out of situations that start to overwhelm me. Wearing a pendant such as a Q-link can help him strengthen his field. You might not like to try this, but I was given a key when I went to Peru by the shaman there. It turns out that a plant called brunfelsia is a great help in this. If you wish to try this, you can purchase it at your local nursery, where it is known as 'yesterday-today-and-tomorrow'. The idea is to make a tincture from the root and some rum or brandy. Taking a few drops under the tongue is said to help this overly sensitive condition and allow a healer to work on sick people without picking up their illnesses. It is said to be cumulative and is to be taken on a continuing business if you are a healer or shaman. My tincture is ripening as I write this, so I can't say for sure how well it works. The internet has a lot of articles on the use of this in the Amazon, if you care to look it up, however TPTB have cautioned against it.

One more thing. This might be way out of your comfort zone but I'll bet it would work. The University of Berkeley trained psychologist/anthropologist who has become a shaman in Peru could help. Many professionals in his field send their sons and daughters, as well as their patients to him. He can 'cure' psychological blocks within 7-10 days..... Just an out-of-the-box idea. This is what I'd do for my daughter if she were having this experience. Here's the link on my experience there: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...ealing-in-Peru .... PS: A number of the clients there when I visited were in their 20s or even teens.
    Last edited by Dawn; 13th September 2012 at 20:07.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

Eram (14th September 2012), RunningDeer (13th September 2012), spiritwind (13th September 2012), Swan (14th September 2012), WhiteFeather (13th September 2012), Wind (13th September 2012)

19. Link to Post #30
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Great advice here. You might also consider making an appointment at the counseling center at the university. It is usually free and will be confidential. Tell them that you want to learn some behavioral techniques for reducing anxiety.
    The Sage does not talk, The Talented Ones talk, And the Stupid Ones argue
    King Tingan
    Journey of Awakening

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meesh For This Post:

Eram (14th September 2012), RMorgan (14th September 2012), WhiteFeather (13th September 2012)

21. Link to Post #31
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,548 times in 833 posts

Chopin is also awesome!

Maybe your son will never qualify as a nurse, but every day that he turns up in class he has the opportunity to learn something new.

Who knows what tomorrow brings? Maybe we focus too much on end goals, when we should just get the most out of every day.

Maybe you can tell your son that all you care about, in love for him, is what he has learned today that you can share and be amazed about.
    Sandie
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. (Carl Sagan)

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sdv For This Post:

Eram (14th September 2012), ulli (13th September 2012), WhiteFeather (13th September 2012)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,205 times in 1,064 posts

There are many very good responses here and he should most certainly work on controlling his mind.

In addition to that I suggest to all of my patients that have anxiety (and other symptoms as well) that they take chelated magnesium to bowel tolerance. (meaning take it in morning and night in high doses, perhaps string at 400mg twice daily and keep going up until he gets loose stools and then back down by one pill).

All western humans are deficient in magnesium and it is a natural relaxant and anxiety reliever. Needed by every cell int he body.
    Last edited by nearing; 13th September 2012 at 21:23.
    "In science, I discovered, you cannot find the Truth."
    --Marcel Messing (during an interview with Bill Ryan)

We demand Tesla technology

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nearing For This Post:

Eram (14th September 2012), ulli (13th September 2012), WhiteFeather (13th September 2012)

25. Link to Post #33
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,998 times in 449 posts

WhiteFeather--

A long time ago before I woke up, I took a class at a college. During each session I was agitated and extremely unable to focus. At the end of each session I was drained and wanted only to sleep. One day, at about the sixth session, I noticed I was focused and alert and not at all agitated. At the end of the session I noticed someone in the back of the room wrapping up a gizmo. He, too, had been having "symptoms" similar to mine and had brought a negative ion generator with him to see if it would help. It did.

Perhaps your son needs some sort of device to protect him from the electrical field he's being subjected to.

Also, does he drink sodas or Gatorade-type drinks? Do check out his food intake--anything he puts in his mouth may have chemicals that are not helpful.

Best wishes to you both.

Peace Love Joy & Harmony,
    Genevieve

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to genevieve For This Post:

Eram (14th September 2012), spiritwind (14th September 2012), ulli (13th September 2012), WhiteFeather (13th September 2012)

27. Link to Post #34
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,445 times in 21,493 posts

Quote Posted by nearing (here)
    In addition to that I suggest to all of my patients that have anxiety (and other symptoms as well) that they take chelated magnesium to bowel tolerance.
    As people get older, they can have increasing difficulty absorbing optimum amounts of magnesium from their digestive tract. One can also absorb magnesium through the skin, which is called transdermal magnesium. Foot soaks in Epsom salts can do that, or spreading magnesium oil (a super-saturated solution of magnesium chloride) on one's skin can do that.

A common cause of fatal heart attacks is the heart muscle going into fibrillation ... twitching rapidly and uselessly. This is much more likely to happen if one is low on magnesium. Personally I have a muscle in my thigh, just above my right knee, that starts twitching when I get low on magnesium. So rather than taking oral chelated magnesium to bowel tolerance, instead I apply transdermal magnesium sufficiently to stop that muscle from twitching, being thankful each time that it's a harmless thigh muscle, not my heart, that twitches first.

I reserve the "bowel tolerance" throttle for another favorite nutrient -- Vitamin C.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Eram (14th September 2012), RunningDeer (14th September 2012), spiritwind (14th September 2012), Swan (14th September 2012), ulli (13th September 2012), WhiteFeather (13th September 2012)

29. Link to Post #35
    United States Avalon Member WhiteFeather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,971 times in 5,651 posts

Quote Posted by pugwash84 (here)
    scared of failing, maybe he should just adress the issue of what if something goes wrong, not the end of the world he can just retake it again. He needs to stop setting himself up to fail by stopping thinking that he will not achieve his goal. Some people make themselves so nervous and set themselves up to fail by not thinking that they can do it. Confidence and the reality of it's not the end of the world if something goes wrong. Some people also feel extra pressure of failing the people they love. Sometimes you have to take one step back to see the whole picture. Also excersize in a gym or jogging is a great stress relief.
    This was my thought exactly. I think he just might be afraid of failure.
    "Although I Live On This World, I Choose Not To Live In It"
    <:~W.F.~:>

"The answer to every question can be found in nature, if one knows how to look and listen”
    Gwilda Wiyaka

"Everything on the Earth has a purpose, Every disease a herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence".
    Mourning Dove Salish

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteFeather For This Post:

Eram (14th September 2012), ulli (13th September 2012)

31. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Dawn (here)
    My daughter used to experience this when trying to read and study. What worked for her was listening to Baroque music while in a learning mode. This music has been shown to change brain waves and allow learning to occur at astonishing rates. Scientists actually discovered the link. She became an excellent student who could learn new things at lightening speeds. In fact she began to enjoy reading and studying and would come out of her room in a great mood after she was done for the day.

Other than that... his reaction when entering the classroom sounds like an empathic one. Hmmm... I am a very sensitive empath, and it has taken me a lifetime to learn how to remain somewhat balanced in a crowd. I have learned that being with a good friend who is not this way is a great anchor for me, as is learning to walk out of situations that start to overwhelm me. Wearing a pendant such as a Q-link can help him strengthen his field. You might not like to try this, but I was given a key when I went to Peru by the shaman there. It turns out that a plant called brunfelsia is a great help in this. If you wish to try this, you can purchase it at your local nursery, where it is known as 'yesterday-today-and-tomorrow'. The idea is to make a tincture from the root and some rum or brandy. Taking a few drops under the tongue is said to help this overly sensitive condition and allow a healer to work on sick people without picking up their illnesses. It is said to be cumulative and is to be taken on a continuing business if you are a healer or shaman. My tincture is ripening as I write this, so I can't say for sure how well it works. The internet has a lot of articles on the use of this in the Amazon, if you care to look it up, however TPTB have cautioned against it.

One more thing. This might be way out of your comfort zone but I'll bet it would work. The University of Berkeley trained psychologist/anthropologist who has become a shaman in Peru could help. Many professionals in his field send their sons and daughters, as well as their patients to him. He can 'cure' psychological blocks within 7-10 days..... Just an out-of-the-box idea. This is what I'd do for my daughter if she were having this experience. Here's the link on my experience there: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...ealing-in-Peru .... PS: A number of the clients there when I visited were in their 20s or even teens.
    Thanks For That Dawn. I did a YT search and found some great studying music. Re: Baroque. Mark give this a shot. Im going to post some more. Found this one pretty soothing.

Keep it coming peeps some great contributions. Much Wanishi.

"The answer to every question can be found in nature, if one knows how to look and listen”
    Gwilda Wiyaka

"Everything on the Earth has a purpose, Every disease a herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence".
    Mourning Dove Salish

32. The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteFeather For This Post:

Eram (14th September 2012)

33. Link to Post #37
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Quote Posted by nearing (here)
    In addition to that I suggest to all of my patients that have anxiety (and other symptoms as well) that they take chelated magnesium to bowel tolerance.
    As people get older, they can have increasing difficulty absorbing optimum amounts of magnesium from their digestive tract. One can also absorb magnesium through the skin, which is called transdermal magnesium. Foot soaks in Epsom salts can do that, or spreading magnesium oil (a super-saturated solution of magnesium chloride) on one's skin can do that.

A common cause of fatal heart attacks is the heart muscle going into fibrillation ... twitching rapidly and uselessly. This is much more likely to happen if one is low on magnesium. Personally I have a muscle in my thigh, just above my right knee, that starts twitching when I get low on magnesium. So rather than taking oral chelated magnesium to bowel tolerance, instead I apply transdermal magnesium sufficiently to stop that muscle from twitching, being thankful each time that it's a harmless thigh muscle, not my heart, that twitches first.

I reserve the "bowel tolerance" throttle for another favorite nutrient -- Vitamin C.
    Mark has mentioned to me about the twitching in his abdomen area. I think the magnesium is worth a shot along with the foot baths. Vitamin C couldnt hurt either. Much Thanks Nearing, Paul and the Avalon Crew.

Gwilda Wiyaka

Mourning Dove Salish

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteFeather For This Post:

Eram (14th September 2012), RunningDeer (14th September 2012)

35. Link to Post #38
    Thanks

I have to say that this issue of anxiety is no laughing matter and I find most of the suggestions on this thread rather superficial. Sure WhiteFeather's son may feel a bit better after going ahead with any or a combination of those suggestions, but as RMorgan stated:

Quote Taking palliative actions like herbs and meditation will help, but only superficially.

In this case, it´s essential that you find, understand and eliminate the root/cause of the problem.

Take your time and ask yourself why are you so anxious? Seriously, you have to find the cause. Make it a priority.
    And here's what bothers me the most: -and it has nothing to do with trying to prove a kind of narcissistic superiority-

Most of those suggestions remind me of what most psychologists on this hell-hole of a world do. They will try to give treatments which work to a degree, but in the end it is done so that the person in question can re-adapt or adapt to a toxic environment. Didn't Jiddu Krishnamurti say that:

Quote It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    That's exactly what most people on this thread are ignoring, either because they rationalize it or because they are ignorant as to how damaging Universities (or any kind of "learning" center which are meant to keep the system running) are designed to be. They aren't designed so that humans can reach their fullest potential, they are just designed so that people aim to a limit set by the establishment, a limit which serves the purposes and necrotic agendas of TPTB that we all seem to despise.

You know, I can relate to a degree to WhiteFeather's son, I'm not that much older than him. I never had any extreme anxiety at school, but I got really fed up with it at some point. When I was in primary school (elementary school in the USA) I could recall entire book pages, perfect recall, word by word, but of course I never did it because it was an impulse of mine, I did it because I'd get some kind of punishment like a report, the teacher calling my mother, bad grades, I may get grounded or mommy wouldn't buy me some toy or some video game.

Later on when I was going through the school period which covers the ages of 13 to 16 in Mexico I started to get annoyed by having to regurgitate endless book pages, so I started to lose that total recall ability and then I found myself getting all kinds of grades, from bad to good. The same thing kept on going until I was done with "the equivalent" of what is known as high school in the USA.

Some teachers even went as far as saying that I was apathetic in class and that's a no-no in the school system. I never had any motivation to participate in class because quite frankly I found it utterly stupid, I didn't quite understand the reasons at that time, but I could see that it was something lame, to participate in class just because the mighty teacher would wave his/her magic pen and add or subtract a point which would affect your final grade. It truly was like seeing trained parrots take turns to please the teacher, they might as well have given the teacher oral sex.

Later on when I got more serious about understanding what was going on behind the lies being fed to the people I understood that my apathetic attitude was a completely healthy response to such a toxic system of indoctrination.

The system Leviathan is quite good at making people believe that they are scum and that only a few people are capable of reaching their own twisted idea of excellence and success. Most people in this world are bound to develop an inner conflict to a greater or lesser degree (whatever the degree, it's no laughing matter) and the system will provide all sorts of simulacras to anesthetize this conflict. Enter schooling with all its empty promises of excellence and success, where the masses are sold the idea (and most buy it) that they have to prove to themselves and the world that they can make it.

I really find it appalling to see some folks here rationalizing the tough time they had in school or uni as some kind of positive experience, as a healthy challenge. Again, I don't mention it because I get off from a narcissistic Ivory Tower, but because I don't take the study of the human psyche as a hobby. I know from first hand experience how damaging schools and universities are, they are rotten to the core, no matter how well intentioned the staff may be, they still submit to pathological demands by the education bureaucracy and are partially responsible for klilling any creative and rebellious spirit that their pupils may have.

There are even some people who commit suicide because they can't meet up the pathological expectations of the education establishment. Look at Japan or China for extreme examples. I lived in London for some time and met some Japanese and Chinese people who pretty much confirmed something I thought could be a stereotype, but I found out that the suicide rates in Japan and China because of not making it at school were far from being a bad joke.

WhiteFeather and LittleFeather, I do think that you should look into stuff which addresses the possible root causes. I won't suggest breathing exercises nor herbal medicines if the ultimate aim is to make LittleFeather adapt to a profoundly sick environment. I don't have any issues with those methods, not as long as they are accompanied by a true and sincere exploration of LittleFeather's psyche. Because if that exploration doesn't take place, then the Chinese/Japanese scenario could become a probability for LittleFeather and even a reality and that would be a tragedy.

And who says he needs some university title? again, look at Vivien Thomas. That guy was teaching other aspiring surgeons at some point during a period which may have been far more intolerant and dogmatic than the one we are living in.

Now I'm not saying that a descent to his very own Hades is gonna be a walk in the park, but getting to the root of the problem is of paramount importance. Who knows to what else his anxiety is connected to, University could be just a symptom of something more serious/important.
    Last edited by Reaver; 14th September 2012 at 00:25.

36. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Reaver For This Post:

Eram (14th September 2012), gooty64 (14th September 2012), jackovesk (14th September 2012), modwiz (14th September 2012), sandy (14th September 2012), spiritwind (14th September 2012), WhiteFeather (14th September 2012), Wind (15th September 2012)

37. Link to Post #39
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

Quote Posted by Reaver (here)
    I have to say that this issue of anxiety is no laughing matter and I find most of the suggestions on this thread rather superficial. Sure WhiteFeather's son may feel a bit better after going ahead with any or a combination of those suggestions, but as RMorgan stated:

Quote Taking palliative actions like herbs and meditation will help, but only superficially.

And here's what bothers me the most: -and it has nothing to do with trying to prove a kind of narcissistic superiority-

Most of those suggestions remind me of what most psychologists on this hell-hole of a world do. They will try to give treatments which work to a degree, but in the end it is done so that the person in question can re-adapt or adapt to a toxic environment. Didn't Jiddu Krishnamurti say that:

Quote It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    That's exactly what most people on this thread are ignoring, either because they rationalize it or because they are ignorant as to how damaging Universities (or any kind of "learning" center which are meant to keep the system running) are designed to be. They aren't designed so that humans can reach their fullest potential, they are just designed so that people aim to a limit set by the establishment, a limit which serves the purposes and necrotic agendas of TPTB that we all seem to despise.

You know, I can relate to a degree to WhiteFeather's son, I'm not that much older than him. I never had any extreme anxiety at school, but I got really fed up with it at some point. When I was in primary school (elementary school in the USA) I could recall entire book pages, perfect recall, word by word, but of course I never did it because it was an impulse of mine, I did it because I'd get some kind of punishment like a report, the teacher calling my mother, bad grades, I may get grounded or mommy wouldn't buy me some toy or some video game.

Later on when I was going through the school period which covers the ages of 13 to 16 in Mexico I started to get annoyed by having to regurgitate endless book pages, so I started to lose that total recall ability and then I found myself getting all kinds of grades, from bad to good. The same thing kept on going until I was done with "the equivalent" of what is known as high school in the USA.

Some teachers even went as far as saying that I was apathetic in class and that's a no-no in the school system. I never had any motivation to participate in class because quite frankly I found it utterly stupid, I didn't quite understand the reasons at that time, but I could see that it was something lame, to participate in class just because the mighty teacher would wave his/her magic pen and add or subtract a point which would affect your final grade. It truly was like seeing trained parrots take turns to please the teacher, they might as well have given the teacher oral sex.

Later on when I got more serious about understanding what was going on behind the lies being fed to the people I understood that my apathetic attitude was a completely healthy response to such a toxic system of indoctrination.

The system Leviathan is quite good at making people believe that they are scum and that only a few people are capable of reaching their own twisted idea of excellence and success. Most people in this world are bound to develop an inner conflict to a greater or lesser degree (whatever the degree, it's no laughing matter) and the system will provide all sorts of simulacras to anesthetize this conflict. Enter schooling with all its empty promises of excellence and success, where the masses are sold the idea (and most buy it) that they have to prove to themselves and the world that they can make it.

I really find it appalling to see some folks here rationalizing the tough time they had in school or uni as some kind of positive experience, as a healthy challenge. Again, I don't mention it because I get off from a narcissistic Ivory Tower, but because I don't take the study of the human psyche as a hobby. I know from first hand experience how damaging schools and universities are, they are rotten to the core, no matter how well intentioned the staff may be, they still submit to pathological demands by the education bureaucracy and are partially responsible for klilling any creative and rebellious spirit that their pupils may have.

There are even some people who commit suicide because they can't meet up the pathological expectations of the education establishment. Look at Japan or China for extreme examples. I lived in London for some time and met some Japanese and Chinese people who pretty much confirmed something I thought could be a stereotype, but I found out that the suicide rates in Japan and China because of not making it at school were far from being a bad joke.

WhiteFeather and LittleFeather, I do think that you should look into stuff which addresses the possible root causes. I won't suggest breathing exercises nor herbal medicines if the ultimate aim is to make LittleFeather adapt to a profoundly sick environment. I don't have any issues with those methods, not as long as they are accompanied by a true and sincere exploration of LittleFeather's psyche. Because if that exploration doesn't take place, then the Chinese/Japanese scenario could become a probability for LittleFeather and even a reality and that would be a tragedy.

And who says he needs some university title? again, look at Vivien Thomas. That guy was teaching other aspiring surgeons at some point during a period which may have been far more intolerant and dogmatic than the one we are living in.

Now I'm not saying that a descent to his very own Hades is gonna be a walk in the park, but getting to the root of the problem is of paramount importance. Who knows to what else his anxiety is connected to, University could be just a symptom of something more serious/important.
    That was awesome Reaver. In more coherent and eloquent parlance, your unblinking, refreshingingly honest examination of this topic is like water in the desert. Thank you for lifting this conversation into some light and fresh air.

38. Link to Post #40
    United States Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,049 times in 934 posts

Hey Littlefeather, I am gonna agree resoundingly with Reavers posts.
    As of the mid 1990's I was still trying to get a degree in Chem Dependency-Social work after changing majors from Meteorology and Geography. The system will drain the life out of you or at least indoctrinate you-imho.
    I did 1000 hours of unpaid internship in hospitals and treatment centers and just lost interest and became bored and depressed by it all. I wanted so bad to be a "good boy" and get a degree and become a professional because I thought I was supposed to. I hated college, I hated driving in rush hour traffic to intern (unpaid), I hated wearing dress shoes etc.
    Once I stumbled into something else that I liked (antiques) I became motivated from the inside to learn everything I could about it and was motivated to get up before dark to find merchandise and to work late because I was immersed in something that interested me, motivated me and I really liked it.

Healing, helping, nursing, doctoring might very well be right for you but, maybe with your awareness you might find a roundabout way to work in your field without the traditional degree.
    Your physical reaction is very alarming and I agree with Ulli and WCBD about maybe your body is alarming you about the path...
    Last edited by gooty64; 14th September 2012 at 01:44.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gooty64 For This Post:

Eram (14th September 2012), modwiz (14th September 2012), WhiteFeather (14th September 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast