+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Genetic Roulette: The Documented Health Risks of Genetically Engineered Foods

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member intruth's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Genetic Roulette: The Documented Health Risks of Genetically Engineered Foods

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...5_DNL_artNew_1

Another great article by Dr. Mercola about the dangers of GMO's. Includes a documentary by Jeffery Smith, Founder, Institute for Responsible Technology.

===

[Mod-edit:
    Important Update - the above "Genetic Roulette" video is no available on Dr. Mercola's site. See Post #29, below, for another version of this documentary that is still available online.

Or, for your convenience, here's the updated video directly:
    - Paul.]
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 3rd October 2012 at 02:12.
    intruth

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to intruth For This Post:

Dawn (16th November 2013), Debra (15th September 2012), DeDukshyn (15th September 2012), jackovesk (18th October 2012), pugwash84 (29th September 2012), Reinhard (16th September 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,549 times in 833 posts

Default Re: Is This Why the Europeans Don't Get Sick Like Americans Do?

GMOs have failed in what they were supposed to do.

Drought-resistant and insect-resistant crops have been genetaically engineered. What a wonderful idea - we are protected against the ravages of drought and we don't have to use toxic pesticides.

But, within a few years, these GMO crops are no longer resistant to drought and insects (adaptation is what Nature is very good at doing), but these GMO crops have also been designed so that seed from the crops cannot be used for the next season (you have to buy new seeds every year), so farmers now not only have crops that are not resistant to drought and insects, but they no longer have the seeds from the last crop so they have to keep buying and buying and buying.

From a Third World perspective, GMO is worsening poverty and the struggle to survive, and along the way has enriched the Western corporations who have sold these seeds.

I briefly worked with a scientist who was developing GMO seeds. She was sincere in that she believed that she was helping to eradicate poverty and struggle in drought-stricken areas and was helping to eradicate the use of toxic pesticides. She was wrong, and corporations hijacked her work for profit.

I am so glad to see countries standing up against GMO, even if it is for reasons that have nothing to do with what is happening in the Third World, where farmers bought into a dream for a better life and were made slaves, where the better life promised did not materailise, and corporations got rich.
    Sandie
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. (Carl Sagan)

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sdv For This Post:

Anchor (15th September 2012), aranuk (15th September 2012), BMJ (16th September 2012), Dawn (16th November 2013), DeDukshyn (15th September 2012), intruth (15th September 2012), Reinhard (16th September 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,547 times in 20,693 posts

Default Genetic Roulette Movie--watch it free online until 9/22

Genetic Roulette—The Gamble of Our Lives, free from September 15-22, just in time to help pass California campaign for Prop 37

http://geneticroulettemovie.com/

Watch it free at the link until 9/22

Quote This week only, watch for free online a new documentary that reveals the serious health impacts of genetically engineered foods in our diets and shows how you can protect your family. Available from September 15-22 at www.GeneticRouletteMovie.com

“It is in fact one of the most important stories ever told.” — John Robbins, Bestselling author of Diet for a New America and Food Revolution

Genetic Roulette—The Gamble of Our Lives has audiences rushing home to clear out their cupboards of dangerous genetically modified (GM) foods. The evidence presented in the film makes the best case yet for why genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are linked to disorders such as allergies, inflammatory bowel disease, infertility, autism, and cancer, to name a few. One health practitioner, Mary Tobin, L.Ac., said the film “provides abundant evidence that eating a GMO-free diet is the single most important change Americans can make for their health.

That evidence not only includes doctors and patients testimonials, but also veterinarians and famers who describe dramatic health improvements in animals that switched to non-GMO feed. The categories of diseases that improve in humans and animals are the ones found in lab animals fed GMOs. And these are many of the same categories, e.g. immune, reproductive, and gastrointestinal disorders that have been on the rise in the US population since GMOs were introduced.

Exposing the Dark Side

This 85 minute documentary reveals, what Author John Robbins calls, “the bullying and deceit of the biotech industry,”— including manipulation of research, attacks on independent scientists and their findings, and infiltration and control of government regulators.

The film also reveals for the first time to horrific impact among workers on a South Africa farm, who were consuming a higher amount of GMO corn than probably any other group in the world.

Upbeat, Empowering and World Changing

Although this film’s eye-opening evidence is sometimes shocking, it is by no means a downer. According to Robbins, it “shines a bright light of hope that we can reclaim our health and our food systems.” Smith explains that as little as 5% of the US population switching to non-GMO foods should deliver a tipping point, inspiring food companies to kick out GM ingredients. It was such a consumer rejection that already kicked GMOs out of Europe.

The film is being released right in the throes of the California campaign for Prop 37. If it passes in November, food companies will have to label products made with GM ingredients (like they do in nearly 50 other countries). Not only will this make it far easier for people to buy healthier non-GMO choices, the expected migration away from labeled GM products will probably accelerate the tipping point.

Genetic Roulette—The Gamble of Our Lives is a production of The Institute for Responsible Technology (IRT). Those who view the film during the free showing week are encouraged to support IRT’s efforts, through donations, by subscribing to the Spilling the Beans free e-newsletter, and by joining with other citizen advocates through the Non-GMO Tipping Point Network—to help get the word out in California and beyond.

“GENETIC ROULETTE unveils a world most of us have never seen. It raises alarming questions about GMOs, and we deserve answers. For all that you love, hear this message and act now.” — Frances Moore Lappé, author of Diet for a Small Planet and EcoMind

Genetic Roulette—The Gamble of Our Lives, from September 15-22. The film lays bare the serious health impacts of genetically modified foods (GM) as reported by scientists, doctors, veterinarians, as well as other experts. We are launching this free viewing week now because the movie can better equip voters in California with additional information on GMOs that they need to make sensible choices for Prop 37, which would require labels on GE foods. Otherwise they might fall prey to Monsanto’s multi-million dollar disinformation campaign.
    Each breath a gift...

6. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

aranuk (15th September 2012), Dawn (16th November 2013), GlassSteagallfan (15th September 2012), intruth (16th September 2012), joamarks (15th September 2012), Marin (16th September 2012), meeradas (15th September 2012), Midnight (15th September 2012), modwiz (15th September 2012), MorningSong (15th September 2012), Ol' Roy (16th September 2012), Reinhard (16th September 2012), sandy (16th September 2012), Snoweagle (15th September 2012), Star Tsar (15th September 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,492 times in 2,185 posts

Default Re: Genetic Roulette Movie--watch it free online until 9/22

Great find! Thanks, Onawah!
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

meeradas (15th September 2012), sandy (16th September 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member intruth's Avatar
    Thanks

sdv said:
    Quote I briefly worked with a scientist who was developing GMO seeds. She was sincere in that she believed that she was helping to eradicate poverty and struggle in drought-stricken areas and was helping to eradicate the use of toxic pesticides. She was wrong, and corporations hijacked her work for profit.
    I hope this scientist spread the word that Monsanto et al are EVIL. Is she still doing this kind of work? Just curious...
    intruth

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to intruth For This Post:

DeDukshyn (15th September 2012), Reinhard (16th September 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

Europeans also have Universal health care, except for Spain, IIRC. That means preventive care is cost effective medicine. Healthy people are better for the bottom line. In the USA, the reverse is true.

12. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,709 times in 1,042 posts

I have always been a huge advocate of Jeffery Smith and all his research . . . even bought and taught his workshops for a few years.

But . . . I am beginning to see things from a very different angle the last few months and my angle makes more sense to me than trying to believe there was some sort of evil plan in why ‘they’ would drench us in GMO’s since the early 90’s.

I believe we will now see a very fast reduction of the use of GMO’s, not because we have won some sort of war or battle but because ‘they’ have collected the essential data they needed.

It will be interesting to see what the humanoid genome will be subjected to next . . . .

13. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,547 times in 20,693 posts

It might be a good idea to merge this thread with
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...823#post553823
    which deserves a bump at the very least, IMHO
    Each breath a gift...

14. Link to Post #9
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,650 times in 21,532 posts

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    It might be a good idea to merge this thread with
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...823#post553823
    which deserves a bump at the very least, IMHO
    Merged ... that other thread now appears a Post #3 above.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

onawah (16th September 2012)

16. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,420 times in 8,339 posts

Quote Posted by sdv (here)

.......GMOs have failed in what they were supposed to do.

Drought-resistant and insect-resistant crops have been genetaically engineered. What a wonderful idea - we are protected against the ravages of drought and we don't have to use toxic pesticides.......
    As I understand it in the agricultural sector, where I have a little experience, the general idea was to engineer plants that were actually "pesticide" and " insecticide" resistant so that the industry could spray even heavier doses of the those chemicals to wipe out all but the selected GMOs.

I don't know how many of you realise this, but, for many years wheat growers have been finishing off wheat crops, just 2 weeks prior to the combine harvesters going in, with 'Roundup', the well known weed killer. It actually kills the wheat, which has the effect of making all the wheat arrive at the same "ripe ?" state at exactly the same time, timed to the day for the harvesters to crop a maximum yield.

I think people should look a bit deeper into the actual GMO developments a little more to differentiate between the fantastic ideas that it COULD be about from the purely mercenary and economic practises that are really going on. There's a huge difference between a GMO that resists insects and a GMO that resists the chemicals they spray to kill insects and 'weeds'.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

161803398 (16th September 2012), Dawn (16th November 2013), Reinhard (16th September 2012)

18. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    for many years wheat growers have been finishing off wheat crops, just 2 weeks prior to the combine harvesters going in, with 'Roundup', the well known weed killer. It actually kills the wheat, which has the effect of making all the wheat arrive at the same "ripe ?" state at exactly the same time
    Good grief

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Reinhard (16th September 2012)

20. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Quote Posted by norman (here)
    for many years wheat growers have been finishing off wheat crops, just 2 weeks prior to the combine harvesters going in, with 'Roundup', the well known weed killer. It actually kills the wheat, which has the effect of making all the wheat arrive at the same "ripe ?" state at exactly the same time
    Good grief
    "QUITE" ! , Paul.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

21. Link to Post #13
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,067 times in 950 posts

Just an observation, but I have noticed a reluctance in many posters to go to a medical doctor when they are ill which does not apply in other countries, especially ones with available free health care. This would help explain some of the ill-health.

Also, oddly, the rise in various diseases could be due to the fact that medical expertise is very good in the US (when you can access it) and conditions can be recognised and treated, and most importantly given a label, which would not be the case elsewhere.

And (this will sound harsh)-- Americans seem to eat very large amounts of food, much, much larger than elsewhere. Maybe as well as the obvious result of this over-eating, chemicals etc. are also absorbed way over the safe limit.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ellisa For This Post:

Healthy Skeptic (16th September 2012), modwiz (16th September 2012), Reinhard (16th September 2012), Swanette (16th September 2012)

23. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 times in 395 posts

Here in Croatia GMO didn't took it's form yet. People grow vegetables and fruit in old natural way, pigs and chickens are fed with bread made at field in natural ways.. Yes larger agriculture uses GMO stuff but not all of them. And yet people and villagers here get to be sick, some from cancers and heavy disseases... I on other hand drank lots of coke, eated in McDonalds sometimes, and i know to digest junk food when i work alot and im lazy to go make something nice. And i was never sick yet and never taken any pill or medication.
    Being that said i think most of one's strength is in his state of awareness and behaving in life.
    but i must agree if i ever eaten too much GMO and junk food i think i would be less resistant to diseases.
    In personal view i think drinkinh health water is soooo much important as we are made almoust from water and everything you touch in nature needs water more than meat or plants..
    Here we have hill in capital city with 60 natural water springs. From warm to mineral water, i drink alot of that one. And i tested for some time to not eat at all and i managed to live two weeks without single piece of food taken without loosing strength and weight, only thing i did is to drink that water. That period of time i lived on that hill in deeper forest along with nature.

Water connect dimensions, it is full of minerals and information. Some say it is pure god's energy. Drinking flouridated or plastic bottled water takes more than any feeding as it makes hard for organism to defend itself.
    But on end if someone somewhere demanded from me that i eat every day gmo junk and drink flouride i would insta-move myself to some more healthy place on earth.. there is alot of nice places on this wonder planet.
    Be careful when wandering in the woods... The wolf may approach you... And if you are approached by a solitary wolf... It is not a wolf at all!

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DarMar For This Post:

161803398 (16th September 2012), GoingOn (16th September 2012), modwiz (16th September 2012), Swanette (16th September 2012)

25. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ellisa (here)
    Just an observation, but I have noticed a reluctance in many posters to go to a medical doctor when they are ill which does not apply in other countries, especially ones with available free health care. This would help explain some of the ill-health.

Also, oddly, the rise in various diseases could be due to the fact that medical expertise is very good in the US (when you can access it) and conditions can be recognised and treated, and most importantly given a label, which would not be the case elsewhere.

And (this will sound harsh)-- Americans seem to eat very large amounts of food, much, much larger than elsewhere. Maybe as well as the obvious result of this over-eating, chemicals etc. are also absorbed way over the safe limit.
    I attribute my better health to not going to doctors. I quit going about six years ago, and am much healthier now. I have some responsibility also for assisting my sister, who suffered major health challenges last year; now she too has stopped conventional medical treatment, and is much healthier. The only medical treatment either of us have purchased of late is dental work - to remove previous mercury fillings and root canal treated teeth.

To some extent, yes, conventional statistics of how many are sick and with what do reflect a larger conventional medical establishment; they make money by sticking a diagnostic label on you and selling you drugs, surgery and radiation to "fix" the problem (and the problems caused by their fixes.) My cynical appraisal is that the goal of conventional medicine is to keep you alive long enough to drain all but the final funeral expenses from your assets.

Yes, Americans are fat. The primary cause of obesity is poor quality food -- low nutritional content, excessive sugars and industrially processed light oils, and numerous toxins.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

161803398 (16th September 2012), Belle (16th September 2012), Dawn (16th November 2013), K626 (16th September 2012), modwiz (16th September 2012)

27. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

My cynical appraisal is that the goal of conventional medicine is to keep you alive long enough to drain all but the final funeral expenses from your assets.
    Hmmmm, isn't it strange how money is SO important to the very people who know ( because it's they who invent it out of thin air ) it's all a fiction.

28. Link to Post #17
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,067 times in 950 posts

Norman- I suggest that you do not live in a country where you can obtain medical treatment completely without cost and medications are heavily subsidised. Being ill will possibly mean you cannot work, but it will not mean you cannot get treatment freely in a country with a free health scheme.

29. Link to Post #18
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,027 times in 2,189 posts

A few have figured out that you cannot and should not attempt to perfect nature, that is why there is a scramble going on to fill the once secretive seed banks with unaltered seeds from around the globe! The earth is a living organism and it will genetically modify seeds over time. 'Natural' extinction is part of the process and it is nothing that we should be overly concerned about. On the other hand we should attempt to repair any damage that is 'honestly man-made' that causes the loss of seed, animal or plant life.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

modwiz (16th September 2012)

31. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,616 times in 1,246 posts

I stopped going to a doctor 20 years ago. I get in touch with these guys who are A M A Z I NG: http://www.jiva.com/ayurveda/

32. Link to Post #20
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks

Yes, Americans are fat. The primary cause of obesity is poor quality food -- low nutritional content, excessive sugars and industrially processed light oils, and numerous toxins.
    And whose 'fault' is that?
    It's far more easier to go to a Fast Food chain and buy 'super-sized' meals than to, 'shock & horror', actually cook good food for oneself because it 'takes too long'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast