+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1 9 19 20 LastLast

Thread: The daily hammer

1. Link to Post #161
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,172 times in 13,485 posts

Default Re: The daily hammer

Quote Posted by modwiz (here)
    Not so many hammers. As Carmody mentioned, it reflects well on us. Seems to be mainly one nail though.
    Here are some more nails...
    Externals
    Rising food prices.
    Corruption in high places
    Fake science
    Fake education
    War mongering
    Internals:
    Greed
    Wrath
    Gluttony
    Lust
    Envy
    Pride
    Sloth

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (20th September 2012), benevolentcrow (20th September 2012), Beren (20th September 2012), Mark (20th September 2012), Playdo of Ataraxas (21st September 2012)

3. Link to Post #162
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,649 times in 786 posts

Quote Posted by ulli (here)
    Not so many hammers. As Carmody mentioned, it reflects well on us. Seems to be mainly one nail though.
    Here are some more nails...
    Externals
    Rising food prices.
    Corruption in high places
    Fake science
    Fake education
    War mongering
    Internals:
    Greed
    Wrath
    Gluttony
    Lust
    Envy
    Pride
    Sloth
    Rising fuel prices
    Fake Food
    Fake Medicine
    Fake People

Just to add a few...

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benevolentcrow For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (20th September 2012), annieVee (20th September 2012), Beren (20th September 2012), lookbeyond (20th September 2012), Playdo of Ataraxas (21st September 2012)

5. Link to Post #163
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,948 times in 536 posts

and hair that grows on the top of the nose, not from within but on top of, I mean c'mon, how does it get there?

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Craig For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (20th September 2012), Arrowwind (20th September 2012), benevolentcrow (20th September 2012), lookbeyond (20th September 2012), NancyV (20th September 2012), Playdo of Ataraxas (21st September 2012), ulli (20th September 2012)

7. Link to Post #164
    United States Avalon Member judymoon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by write4change (here)
    Flash,

Thanks for the acceptance and understanding. It may be all of that and more. I do know while I did not stop believing in the reality of the good and purpose of the universe, I was angry at it for ten years. The universe had stepped in and saved my life and refused to do so for my daughter. What broke the anger was love and it wasn't near as much about feeling loved as being able to love again. It is the ability to love that is the wind beneath my wings. Having been without for ten years, I know how important it is and I wish never to give up that power of me again. It is from going into the deep darkness of me and making peace with it that has allowed me to have this final incarnation. I could drive across the country with little money and alone because I believe the universe has a purpose for my life and nothing will happen to me until justice is served.

9eagle9 is a complexity of paradoxes. I have always seen the painbody of her anger. Lately, its intensity has increased as has her paradoxes. I have spent weeks considering if I should discuss my relationship with her or not. It will stir pain. Does the truth as I know it need to be said inspite of the pain. I keep looking for a sign. I thought she would come back and I would respond by her lead. Since that has not happened, I have no lead yet. What I know for sure is that all the power, discomfort, and disunity come from ego. Ego on a spiritual site is an intense as any place else on this planet. Now that seems normal, in my beginning here, it was quite a surprise. Because I thought awakened beings were always compassionate even to themselves. Now I have no certainity of definition of awakened nor the reality of its supposed belief systems. It is now all more grist for the mill. For now I have ground mostly in my mind rather than my pen.

Again my appreciation for your taking the time to talk to me. Thank you.
    No offense to anyone (this is the hammer thread after all) but I doubt an Enlightened Being would have any reason to be hanging around an internet forum, even a 'spiritual' one. Even the idea of being a 'spiritual teacher' is pretty much ego based. All of us hanging around this forum are in the process of growing spiritually, with all the bumps and warts that go along with that. If you thought this would be a forum of 'awakened beings (who) were always compassionate" ........I don't know whether to call that naive, or scary. Perhaps you are too Neptunian for your own good....I have read all your posts on this thread and the 9eagle9 thread....and my heart goes out to you for what you have been through. But - sister - you need some serious work done on your bull**** detector.
    And.... you write really well, I'll bet you have a book in you.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to judymoon For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (20th September 2012), D-Day (20th September 2012), lookbeyond (20th September 2012), Marianne (22nd September 2012), modwiz (20th September 2012), ulli (20th September 2012), write4change (21st September 2012)

9. Link to Post #165
    United States Avalon Member judymoon's Avatar
    Thanks

That's because no one has brought up David Wilcock yet......(heh heh)

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to judymoon For This Post:

annieVee (20th September 2012), D-Day (20th September 2012), modwiz (20th September 2012), PurpleLama (20th September 2012), ulli (20th September 2012)

11. Link to Post #166
    United States Avalon Member amandapoet's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 times in 120 posts

Ok, so I totally feel like the student walking in at the end of the lecture...and getting the gist of it from the other students' discussions / reactions to the lesson...missing some vital points, but still being educated regardless...lol.

This "virtual" meeting ground has more genuine elements of a community than my blue collar town.,
    As an outsider just getting orientated, I find the response to one member's activity (or lack of) to be very telling of the complex dynamics that make this forum a truly unique gathering within this vast space known as the internet.

And though I may not have been present during past interesting interactions among members....I am sure I will be privy to my own encounters here eventually.

That said there are two rants I take the Hammer to tonite ...
    1. I must admit that when I get a thread that says read at your own risk...or something similar, like my seven year old, I find the urge irresistable..so if I suddenly start spouting incoherent dogma like messages, you will know why and please I give permission for someone to hold an
    intervention...lol.

2. Now this is not related to the forum, but just a complaint I would like to file: A rape victim would not be expected to have visitation with their rapist-- so why do children have to be forced into visitation/ custody arrangements of a parent who has been found guilty of the abuse? Just a topic on my mind tonite, luckily doesn't seem like that will happen to my son, but it does happen...I'd like to take a sledge hammer to that hypocrisy.

Way past my bedtime,
    Blessings,
    Amanda
    Last edited by amandapoet; 20th September 2012 at 06:57. Reason: darned autocorrect

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to amandapoet For This Post:

Craig (21st September 2012), Mark (20th September 2012), PurpleLama (20th September 2012), RunningDeer (20th September 2012), spiritwind (21st September 2012), ulli (20th September 2012), write4change (21st September 2012)

13. Link to Post #167
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Quote I will say that I did not raise my son.
    That is when read in context te bravest sentence in have read in a long time, the honesty and humility in that one brings a tear to my eyes.

Hail.

As far as hammering goes, there is no beef as far as i know of between me or anybody else on this forum, if someone has some with me i dont know, there are probably plenty of people who think i am full of it, very true too, there are reasons for this.

My hammer concerns the vast amount of info that proves to be unreliable bull**** on the forum on wich i contributed as well, no use in saying i dont, the amount and wealth of information on this forum is so immense it is impossible to keep up with and even worse seperating truth from fiction becomes increasingly harder, and i truly wish someone who has the time, knowledge and what have we, makes work out of discerning the **** of everything on the forum and make a sticky post about everything that has remained standing, as a stepping stone to focus our collective attention on and move forward.

And then this, all those supposedly in the know interviewers with knowledge about aliens or schmaliens or whatever else subject, please make an effort to not sound so ffing cassualy bored while conducting your interviews, its sounds arrogant and makes me want to puke, the only point you are making by doing the interviews in that way is making everybody else feel like idiots, reffering to them as sheeple is not respectfull at all, if they had the tools, skills and nerve to take back control of their lives most of them would.

To the people who want to come across as being in the know but are really not................... you are spiritual mass murderers of minds /souls and steal the precious time we do not have to bring about the change the majority of the people on this forum/planet want to see happening in our livetimes.

Dont try to be so ****ing interesting, if your story and the way it is presented is sincere and based on facts it will stick, dont worry, we are not complete idiots all the time, there is hope, unfortunatly information is also dope, so get clean and detox this forum.
    Last edited by 778 neighbour of some guy; 20th September 2012 at 10:13.

14. Link to Post #168
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,705 times in 8,941 posts

One complaint and I am gone: how come some of you can post soooo much. Where do you get the time? Sometimes I think most of you are retired.

Because between work, child, household chores, and some activities outside, I have no more time for threads reading even.. Then some posts would need a lenghty answer, so I give it up, no time. Some members experct a thourough discussion, I give it up too. I just look at the lenght of some posts (Reaver, for example, or even Write4change) or the number of posts and I wonder where all those people get the time.

So, at the risk of looking stupid, I will now on post little less and shorter posts, because I have to work, no time.

How do you all manage?

15. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

amandapoet (20th September 2012), annieVee (21st September 2012), araucaria (20th September 2012), benevolentcrow (20th September 2012), Craig (21st September 2012), Mark (20th September 2012), nurgle (20th September 2012), Playdo of Ataraxas (21st September 2012), PurpleLama (20th September 2012), RunningDeer (20th September 2012), spiritwind (21st September 2012), ulli (20th September 2012)

16. Link to Post #169
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,544 times in 2,615 posts

Quote Posted by another bob (here)
    Quote Posted by Arrowwind (here)
    [But wouldn't you rant against high flyers who rant against those who have no wings?
    this is exacly what is going on with the me and the house flies today!

This is where my sense of competition is still alive and well...
    measuring their command of the air versus my command of a fly swat.
    Actually I find the vacuum cleaner most proficient at sucking those little bastards up.
    I have a whole crawling mess of them in the bag.
    They dont even know your coming if you angle things just right.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

benevolentcrow (20th September 2012)

18. Link to Post #170
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    One complaint and I am gone: how come some of you can post soooo much. Where do you get the time? Sometimes I think most of you are retired.

Because between work, child, household chores, and some activities outside, I have no more time for threads reading even.. Then some posts would need a lenghty answer, so I give it up, no time. Some members experct a thourough discussion, I give it up too. I just look at the lenght of some posts (Reaver, for example, or even Write4change) or the number of posts and I wonder where all those people get the time.

So, at the risk of looking stupid, I will now on post little less and shorter posts, because I have to work, no time.

How do you all manage?
    When I have nothing better to do I go online. No kids, little house work. In between posts I still get stuff done, too. Yesterday my husband took the morning off, and we went to the thermal pools nearby for a swim. Home again, showered, dressed, made the bed, posted a bit. Went shopping for a book case for his new office. Did the grocery shopping for the week... longish drive. Bored in the car, so out comes the iPad, tethered to my 3G iPhone, and I check some more posts, and even reply. Afternoon, husband is at work. Phone never rings here, the way it does when I'm in Barbados where I have friends and family. Fact is, it gets lonely here.
    Of all my online options Avalon continues to be the most attractive, as I really love the people on it. I have so much in common, with many of them, ideaswise.
    So now I live in the outback of Costa Rica, my life is fairly simple, so what better things do I have to do? Even when I get busy with the next construction project there is plenty of free time to go online.
    Even if I were to interact more with the locals who live around here, they would not be interested in what I have to offer. They want cash. So whenever we can, we give people jobs, like gardening and construction. Sometimes I make a comment, like yesterday...asked my 33 year old worker if having four kids is still not enough...after all, he has to educate them all one day. He says 'the wife wants more' which is why he is working even longer hours. What can one do? It's their choice. Mine is to post and share the stuff I wish to share with whoever is interested and wants to read it.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

benevolentcrow (20th September 2012), Beren (20th September 2012), Flash (20th September 2012), Marianne (22nd September 2012), Mark (20th September 2012), Playdo of Ataraxas (21st September 2012), write4change (21st September 2012)

20. Link to Post #171
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,649 times in 786 posts

Quote Posted by Flash (here)

How do you all manage?
    When I have nothing better to do I go online. No kids, little house work. In between posts I still get stuff done, too. Yesterday my husband took the morning off, and we went to the thermal pools nearby for a swim. Home again, showered, dressed, made the bed, posted a bit. Went shopping for a book case for his new office. Did the grocery shopping for the week... longish drive. Bored in the car, so out comes the iPad, tethered to my 3G iPhone, and I check some more posts, and even reply. Afternoon, husband is at work. Phone never rings here, the way it does when I'm in Barbados where I have friends and family. Fact is, it gets lonely here.
    Of all my online options Avalon continues to be the most attractive, as I really love the people on it. I have so much in common, with many of them, ideaswise.
    So now I live in the outback of Costa Rica, my life is fairly simple, so what better things do I have to do? Even when I get busy with the next construction project there is plenty of free time to go online.
    Even if I were to interact more with the locals who live around here, they would not be interested in what I have to offer. They want cash. So whenever we can, we give people jobs, like gardening and construction. Sometimes I make a comment, like yesterday...asked my 33 year old worker if having four kids is still not enough...after all, he has to educate them all one day. He says 'the wife wants more' which is why he is working even longer hours. What can one do? It's their choice. Mine is to post and share the stuff I wish to share with whoever is interested and wants to read it.
    I for one am glad that you do

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benevolentcrow For This Post:

Flash (20th September 2012), Playdo of Ataraxas (21st September 2012), ulli (20th September 2012)

22. Link to Post #172
    United States Avalon Member Mark's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,484 times in 2,851 posts

This thread has developed into something quite interesting and unique.

Taking a look at the world through "jaded eyes" is an exercise in moderation, when accompanied by its opposition, which in this case would be looking at the world through "rose colored glasses". Both, when engaged in equally, result in seeing reality for what it is. Through them both, a state in-between is engaged, wherein conclusions and perceptions can be tendered that result in a moderate and realistic view of what is really going on. I.e., no sugar-coating. Attempting to speak truth, even a relative truth, without prettying it all up for popular consumption.

Most of us are pretty bad at bringing the hammer down if doing so really implies being nasty or lacking compassion. As Carmody and Modwiz said, that does speak well of us as a group.

With that said, I'd like to bring the hammer down on writing and the process of. And, I would submit - and, to cut off all protestations that the designation of "writer" does not apply - ALL who post on forums all the time (you too, Flash LOL) are writers, more or less.

It's soooo egocentric. It hones and develops the personality complex and prevents the person doing it from existing fully in the Now because the writer ALWAYS has to be looking back into the Past or looking forward into the Future in order to document thoughts and experiences. Being a writer is a constant process of recapitulation. Of stultifying what is inherently fluid; life, experience. Taking situations and occurrences and freezing them in words, creating para-realities that, as soon as they are written, become lies because they inadequately represent what no longer Is just by virtue of the act of writing it down.

I've struggled with this in thought a bit, further contributing to my own excessive ego development. And yes, here's a nod to those who have made a firm commitment to living this life and not worrying about evolving spiritually to some ego-less state: to have a strong and well-defined ego is not necessarily a bad thing if one wants to be successful in this life and this world and hey, it's development along a trajectory and wherever we each currently are is fine, so being a writer, writing, engaging in the constant musing, re-hashing and explication serves our current development as it should.

But for those who do seek to exist more in the moment, in the Now, and to do so while still being a writer and documenting thoughts and experiences, the only kind of remedy I've been able to discover that alleviates the potential excessive development of ego is to forego the inordinate recapitulation, contemplating, remembering and imagining, and to write in the Now, let whatever is within come out and only to consider past and future, to ruminate in the flow of the moment and to spend the rest of one's time engaging in the stilling of thought, as recommended by so many traditions, time and the world across.

Is it enough? Who knows. But by definition, whatever we engage in during a life is exactly what we're supposed to be doing, so there is no right or wrong, no BEcoming, only BEing. What Is, Is.

So the hammer is already brought down. There is no bringing it. It's brought.

Or brung. Whatever.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

modwiz (20th September 2012), NancyV (24th September 2012), Playdo of Ataraxas (21st September 2012)

24. Link to Post #173
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rahkyt (here)

. Being a writer is a constant process of recapitulation..
    There are those who say that recapitulation is a necessary part of growth.
    Don Juan has whole recapitulation ceremonies...

when you die, they say your whole life flashes before your eyes... a recapitulation.
    when you stand at the pearly gate, some religions say, it is recapituation time.

Recapitulation is one process to break the webs that bind us
    so that self awareness is more fully grocked.

I would not say it is a constant process,
    it is a process that is created in the moment
    every moment ends to give birth to the next

Writers put some time aside for this process
    and see it for its worth in the absolute present moment.
    where others go on willy nilly, never reflecting back
    on who they are, what they have done, why they have done it
    who it might effect, what consequences they pay or bear

not only is writing a recapitulaiton
    so is reading...

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Mark (20th September 2012), ulli (20th September 2012)

26. Link to Post #174
    Thanks

Recapitulation is more than remembering, this you know if you read Don Juan.
    See comment above re living in the Past. "Remembering" will serve if its the word that is problematic. The act of doing so constantly is the point ...
    LOL Fine, Arrowwind. That one word was not the point of my entire post.

I was speaking to a larger point. But thank you for your grammar and contextual hammer!
    Last edited by Mark; 20th September 2012 at 15:43.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

13th Warrior (20th September 2012), annieVee (21st September 2012), modwiz (20th September 2012), ulli (20th September 2012)

28. Link to Post #175
    Thanks

. Being a writer is a constant process of recapitulation..
    There are those who say that recapitulation is a necessary part of growth.
    And I am one of those. But not all the time living in the past. Or, worrying about the future.

Don Juan has whole recapitulation ceremonies...
    I have read Casteneda's books also, multiple times each.

I would not say it is a constant process,
    See comment above re living in the Past. "Remembering" will serve if its the word that is problematic. The act of doing so constantly is the point ...

not only is writing a recapitulaiton
    so is reading...
    Good point! You brung the hammer down on reading! Now we're getting somewhere ...
    Although I respect Taoism, I am not a Taoist.
    Recapitulation is more than remembering, this you know if you read Don Juan.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Mark (20th September 2012)

30. Link to Post #176
    Thanks

Taking a look at the world through "jaded eyes" is an exercise in moderation, when accompanied by its opposition, which in this case would be looking at the world through "rose colored glasses". Both, when engaged in equally, result in seeing reality for what it is. Through them both, a state in-between is engaged, wherein conclusions and perceptions can be tendered that result in a moderate and realistic view of what is really going on. I.e., no sugar-coating. Attempting to speak truth, even a relative truth, without prettying it all up for popular consumption.

Most of us are pretty bad at bringing the hammer down if doing so really implies being nasty or lacking compassion. As Carmody and Modwiz said, that does speak well of us as a group.

With that said, I'd like to bring the hammer down on writing and the process of. And, I would submit - and, to cut off all protestations that the designation of "writer" does not apply - ALL who post on forums all the time (you too, Flash LOL) are writers, more or less.

It's soooo egocentric. It hones and develops the personality complex and prevents the person doing it from existing fully in the Now because the writer ALWAYS has to be looking back into the Past or looking forward into the Future in order to document thoughts and experiences. Being a writer is a constant process of recapitulation. Of stultifying what is inherently fluid; life, experience. Taking situations and occurrences and freezing them in words, creating para-realities that, as soon as they are written, become lies because they inadequately represent what no longer Is just by virtue of the act of writing it down.

I've struggled with this in thought a bit, further contributing to my own excessive ego development. And yes, here's a nod to those who have made a firm commitment to living this life and not worrying about evolving spiritually to some ego-less state: to have a strong and well-defined ego is not necessarily a bad thing if one wants to be successful in this life and this world and hey, it's development along a trajectory and wherever we each currently are is fine, so being a writer, writing, engaging in the constant musing, re-hashing and explication serves our current development as it should.

But for those who do seek to exist more in the moment, in the Now, and to do so while still being a writer and documenting thoughts and experiences, the only kind of remedy I've been able to discover that alleviates the potential excessive development of ego is to forego the inordinate recapitulation, contemplating, remembering and imagining, and to write in the Now, let whatever is within come out and only to consider past and future, to ruminate in the flow of the moment and to spend the rest of one's time engaging in the stilling of thought, as recommended by so many traditions, time and the world across.

Is it enough? Who knows. But by definition, whatever we engage in during a life is exactly what we're supposed to be doing, so there is no right or wrong, no BEcoming, only BEing. What Is, Is.

Or brung. Whatever.

So you want to see a world where there is no writing?
    Any more stilling of thoughts and we'll have to dismantle the Internet completely.
    My hammer is coming own on all those traditions that knock the mind.
    The mind is our greatest tool, or gift.
    Sure, I get it, they probably refer to the type of mind that won't shut up for a moment to allow listening to spirit.
    But this either/or type of preaching against mind is against my religion which is called BOTH.
    This AND that.
    Each in its own time.
    Turn off the engine when the car is parked in the garage, by all means, but without an engine there is no car.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

Lisab (20th September 2012), Mark (20th September 2012)

32. Link to Post #177
    Thanks

So you want to see a world where there is no writing?
    Any more stilling of thoughts and we'll have to dismantle the Internet completely.
    My hammer is coming own on all those traditions that knock the mind.
    The mind is our greatest tool, or gift.
    Sure, I get it, they probably refer to the type of mind that won't shut up for a moment to allow listening to spirit.
    But this either/or type of preaching against mind is against my religion which is called BOTH.
    This AND that.
    Each in its own time.
    Turn off the engine when the car is parked in the garage, by all means, but without an engine there is no car.
    And yes, here's a nod to those who have made a firm commitment to living this life and not worrying about evolving spiritually to some ego-less state: to have a strong and well-defined ego is not necessarily a bad thing if one wants to be successful in this life and this world and hey, it's development along a trajectory and wherever we each currently are is fine, so being a writer, writing, engaging in the constant musing, re-hashing and explication serves our current development as it should.
    I would agree!

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

Lisab (20th September 2012), ulli (20th September 2012)

34. Link to Post #178
    Thanks

To continue the theme, I offer the recent exchange between myself, Arrowwind and Ulli as a case in point. A great example! Thank you both!

To engage in this discussion, it was necessary to go back and forth between the present and the future in order to respond clearly and concisely. In order to understand where both were coming from and predict where they were going based upon the actual content and tone of their responses. In each response to my original post, both Arrowwind and Ulli picked very specific points made without addressing the overall gist of the post itself. Both took the critical, hammeristic view in order to get their pounds in, while at the same time confirming the relative egocentricity of writing, the difficulty of capturing not only the nuances of an idea but even of addressing the entirety of an idea in favor of a more limited and personally favored response indicating their own preferential perspectives on reality, WHICH WE ALL DO, and which is part and parcel of the process of writing. We ignore the forest to chop down just that one, irritating tree that just so happened to catch our eye.

re·ca·pit·u·la·tion/ˌrēkəˌpiCHəˈlāSHən/
    Noun:
    An act or instance of summarizing the main points of something.
    The repetition of an evolutionary or other process during development or growth.

We do this all the time. It is necessary to keep our personalities alive, to reaffirm our beliefs, our own peculiar view of the world shaped by our experience of it. We do this in thought and in action, when speaking, interacting, conversing. But, I submit, the act of writing is a more insidious form of communication in that it gives words the power of gravity of finality without implicating the writer directly or binding her or him to the outcomes of the words as would be the case in person-to-person or person-to-people communicative modalities.

Some people say that writing things down was when everything started to go wrong. When the elite were able to get that good stranglehold and start squeezing the populaces of the world. The beginnings of formal religion, law. Frank O'Collins talks about that in-depth here on PA.

As a writer, personally, I love it! LOL Commuicating, sharing. It is necessary, in the life I have chosen to live and I have no regrets or misgivings about who I am or what I do. But of course, that is coming purely from my personality and ego complex. Even so, I am exactly where I am supposed to be, as are we all.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

13th Warrior (20th September 2012), Arrowwind (21st September 2012), modwiz (20th September 2012), NancyV (24th September 2012)

36. Link to Post #179
    Thanks

To continue the theme, I offer the recent exchange between myself, Arrowwind and Ulli as a case in point. A great example! Thank you both!

To engage in this discussion, it was necessary to go back and forth between the present and the future in order to respond clearly and concisely. In order to understand where both were coming from and predict where they were going based upon the actual content and tone of their responses. In each response to my original post, both Arrowwind and Ulli picked very specific points made without addressing the overall gist of the post itself. Both took the critical, hammeristic view in order to get their pounds in, while at the same time confirming the relative egocentricity of writing, the difficulty of capturing not only the nuances of an idea but even of addressing the entirety of an idea in favor of a more limited and personally favored response indicating their own preferential perspectives on reality, WHICH WE ALL DO, and which is part and parcel of the process of writing. We ignore the forest to chop down just that one, irritating tree that just so happened to catch our eye.

re·ca·pit·u·la·tion/ˌrēkəˌpiCHəˈlāSHən/
    Noun:
    An act or instance of summarizing the main points of something.
    The repetition of an evolutionary or other process during development or growth.

We do this all the time. It is necessary to keep our personalities alive, to reaffirm our beliefs, our own peculiar view of the world shaped by our experience of it. We do this in thought and in action, when speaking, interacting, conversing. But, I submit, the act of writing is a more insidious form of communication in that it gives words the power of gravity of finality without implicating the writer directly or binding her or him to the outcomes of the words as would be the case in person-to-person or person-to-people communicative modalities.

Some people say that writing things down was when everything started to go wrong. When the elite were able to get that good stranglehold and start squeezing the populaces of the world. The beginnings of formal religion, law. Frank O'Collins talks about that in-depth here on PA.

As a writer, personally, I love it! LOL Commuicating, sharing. It is necessary, in the life I have chosen to live and I have no regrets or misgivings about who I am or what I do. But of course, that is coming purely from my personality and ego complex. Even so, I am exactly where I am supposed to be, as are we all.
    Agreeing with everything you said.
    Which is why I welcome people's ego, as something to interact with.
    Just as they can interact with mine.
    Because the moment we project at each other that the ego is a bad thing,
    telling the other person that they are full of sh/t because of their egos
    then all breaks down...
    of course I reserve the right to pull out of a conversation which has become too forceful or tedious for my liking,
    However, this is not the case with you.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

13th Warrior (20th September 2012), Mark (20th September 2012), modwiz (20th September 2012)

38. Link to Post #180
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,705 times in 8,941 posts

Or brung. Whatever.
    Ya, should have added up your name to Reaver's and Write4Change in my previous post. LOL

Quote With that said, I'd like to bring the hammer down on writing and the process of. And, I would submit - and, to cut off all protestations that the designation of "writer" does not apply - ALL who post on forums all the time (you too, Flash LOL) are writers, more or less.
    Very funny, happy you include me in your writer's club. The difference being that it takes you zip time to write in English, with a beautiful prose. It takes me the triple time with an awful prose despite many revisions. Mais en français, là, c'est une autre histoire. La diarrhée verbale ou écrite est relativement facile et la prose plus que passable. La pensée est plus complète également et, parlant de diarrhée, se tient mieux. Là je pourrais être un écrivain.

Wow, those last sentences were easy...

Sometimes I even have to check in the dictionary to get meanings of words. Le last one was Carmody's post I think and the word was slieve or something like this.
    Can you imagine the time involved. And I am far better at English than lots of Avalon's other than English speaking readers/writers. Can't imagine (or rather yes I can) how much time and effort they put in.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Mark (20th September 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1 9 19 20 LastLast