+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An Occurence At Owl Creek Bridge.

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,963 times in 3,187 posts

Default An Occurence At Owl Creek Bridge.

This book was briefly on screen while watching a repeat of my all time favorite show last night, LOST. I immediately jumped up, Googled the title, and was not disappointed in the story.

Set during the American
    Civil War

, "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" is the story of Peyton
    Farquhar, a Confederate
    sympathizer condemned to death by hanging
    from Owl Creek Bridge. At the beginning of the story, the protagonist stands
    bound at the bridge's edge. It is later revealed that after a disguised Union
    scout enlisted him to attempt to demolish the bridge, he was caught in the
    act.

In the first part of the story, a gentlemanly planter in his mid-30s is
    standing on a railroad bridge in Alabama.
    Six military men and a company of infantry men are present. The man is to be
    hanged. As he is waiting, he thinks of his wife and children. Then he is
    distracted by a tremendous noise. He can not identify this noise, other than
    that it sounds like the clanging of a blacksmith's hammer on the anvil. He
    cannot tell if it was far away or nearby. He finds himself apprehensively
    awaiting each strike, which seem to grow further and further apart. It is
    revealed that this noise is the ticking of his watch. Then, an escape plan
    flashes through his mind: "throw off the noose and spring into the stream. By
    diving I could evade the bullets and, swimming vigorously, take to the woods and
    get away home." His thoughts stray back to his wife and children. The soldiers
    drop him down.

The story flashes back in time: Peyton Farquhar lives in the South and is a
    major Confederate
    supporter. He goes out of his way to perform services to support and help the
    Confederate side. One day, a gray-clad soldier appears at his house and tells
    Farquhar that Union soldiers in the area have been repairing the railroads,
    including the one over Owl Creek Bridge. Interested, Farquhar asks if it is
    possible to sabotage the bridge, to which the soldier replies that he could burn
    it down. When the soldier leaves, it is revealed that he is a Union scout who
    has lured Farquhar into a trap, as anyone caught interfering with the railroads
    would face the noose.

When he is hanged, the rope breaks. Farquhar falls into the water. While
    underwater, he seems to take little interest in the fact that his hands, which
    now have a life of their own, are freeing themselves and untying the rope from
    around his neck. Once he finally reaches the surface, he realizes his senses are
    superhuman. He can see the individual blades of grass and the colors of bugs on
    the leaves of trees, despite the fact that he is whirling around in a river.
    Realizing that the men are shooting at him, he escapes and makes it to dry land.
    He travels through an uninhabited and seemingly-unending forest, attempting to
    reach his home 30 miles away. During his journey through the day and night, he
    is fatigued, footsore, and famished, urged on by the thought of his wife and
    children. He begins experiencing strange physiological events, hearing unusual
    noises from the wood, and believes he has fallen asleep while walking. He wakes
    to see his perfectly preserved home, with his beautiful and youthful wife
    outside. As he runs forward to reach her, he suddenly feels a searing pain in
    his neck; a white light flashes, and everything goes black.

It is revealed that Farquhar never escaped at all; he imagined the entire
    third part of the story during the time between falling through the bridge and
    the noose finally breaking his neck.
    I've been certain on a few occasions during this life, that I was presently in the process of experiencing immediate and violent death, only to somehow still be here when the event is over. I've often wondered if I actually did die during atleast one of those, only to not realize it like in the movie "The 6th Sense".

Written in the 1890's, it's apparent these are not new ideas. The difference between "life" and "death' may not be so different as we may like to think. Dunno, jury's still out on that one. Wondering about what others here may have experience with along these lines.

Cheers,
    Fred
    Last edited by Fred Steeves; 18th September 2012 at 15:51.

2. Link to Post #2
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

Default Re: An Occurence At Owl Creek Bridge.

Quote Posted by Fred Steeves (here)

I've been certain on a few occasions during this life, that I was presently in the process of experiencing immediate and violent death, only to somehow still be here when the event is over. I've often wondered if I actually did die during atleast one of those, only to not realize it like in the movie "The 6th Sense".

Cheers,
    Fred
    When I was a young teenager I had recurring dreams about being the only one left alive after some major event. I wandered around and found all the canned goods I needed for food. The dream could have been an adventure in the astral or some other reality. The dream was not unpleasant.

My current preference is to follow the example of my grandfather, whenever it is time, to go to sleep while feeling good and wake up croaked. A quick exit without violence to myself or others will really be appreciated. Then go on to other fun adventures. Looking back at my current 3D experience from wherever is next, I could begin my stories by saying "Hell, I was there on planet Earth during the great change!".

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

another bob (18th September 2012), Caren (19th September 2012), Fred Steeves (18th September 2012), NancyV (18th September 2012), Sebastion (18th September 2012), seko (19th September 2012)

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,604 times in 409 posts

Yeah Fred... I've often wondered if I am already dead... and experiencing a life review in the moment. Would I know the difference?

hmm.. dunno. Could I train myself to see both sides of every situation? and empathize with both?

I suspect though, that key learning of my life (the most important learnings) would occur during the life review and not before. Perhaps by treating my life like it is a life review, I am open to learning more through this thick skull. And Perhaps... I would be more open to think abstractly/creatively/intuitively... from the heart and spontaneously and letting go some of my repetitive and habitual schedules.

... from one dead man walking to another...

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chuck For This Post:

4evrneo (18th September 2012), another bob (18th September 2012), Caren (19th September 2012), Fred Steeves (18th September 2012)

6. Link to Post #4
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Chuck (here)

... from one dead man walking to another...
    Nice one Chuck! Way to end a post that's going to have me pondering for a spell.

Good to hear from you old friend,
    Fred

7. Link to Post #5
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,221 times in 2,274 posts

Quote Posted by Fred Steeves (here)
    Written in the 1890's, it's apparent these are not new ideas. The difference between "life" and "death' may not be so different as we may like to think.
    "Jacob's Ladder" comes to mind as one interesting treatment of that theme, but it does seem to have become somewhat of a theatrical meme in many films -- the bardo state. It's also interesting how the two greatest human fascinations -- love & death -- are so often interwoven in our stories and contemplations.

8. Link to Post #6
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by another bob (here)
    It's also interesting how the two greatest human fascinations -- love & death -- are so often interwoven in our stories and contemplations.
    That Bob, reminds me of our old friend Narada. Remember his little exploit with Vishnu?

Quote ..."There is a story about a great sage, Narada, who came to Vishnu. Vishnu is
    one of the aspects of the godhead, Brahma. Brahma is usually the word given to
    the creator aspect, Vishnu to the preserving aspect, and Shiva to the
    destructive aspect. When Narada came to Vishnu and said, 'What is the secret of
    your maya?' Vishnu took him and threw him into a pool. The moment he fell under
    the water he was born as a princess in a very great family, and went through all
    the experiences of childhood as a little girl. She finally married a prince from
    another kingdom and went to live with him in his kingdom. They lived there in
    tremendous prosperity, with palaces and peacocks, but suddenly there was a war
    and their kingdom was attacked and utterly destroyed. The prince himself was
    killed in battle, and he was cremated. As a dutiful wife, the princess was about
    to throw herself weeping on to the funeral pyre and burn herself in an act of
    suttee or self-sacrifice. But suddenly Narada woke to find himself being pulled
    out of the pool by his hair by Vishnu, who said, 'For whom were you
    weeping?'...

9. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Occurence At Owl Creek Bridge was made into a movie at some point. I remember being very freaked out by it at the time. And Jacob's Ladder of course. Bardo realm, indeed.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grinner For This Post:

4evrneo (18th September 2012), another bob (18th September 2012), Caren (19th September 2012), Fred Steeves (18th September 2012)

11. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 19th September 2012 at 00:53. Reason: Fix youtube link -- use YOUTUBE markup, not URL

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grinner For This Post:

another bob (19th September 2012), Caren (19th September 2012), Fred Steeves (19th September 2012)

13. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

in some forms of past lives, it is said not so-much that the person actually did experience them,
    but that if one of the community of souls experienced such event, it is available for download, if it aids the person downloading it. as such why not,..it is the response of the superconscious to take and aim all consciousnesses against that event or injustice or summary should we say

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deridan For This Post:

another bob (19th September 2012), Fred Steeves (19th September 2012)

15. Link to Post #10
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Grinner (here)
    Here you go:
    I watched that last night Grinner, it was very good. Thanks! If one didn't already know the ending, it would certainly be a shocker.

Fred

+ Reply to Thread