+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Everything you know is wrong

1. Link to Post #1
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Default Everything you know is wrong

With Anti-trust of the MS media at an all time high (FOX claim 60 %+ this morning), perhaps the lamestream media are finally beginning to get some of it right:

Quote Everything you know is wrong
    James Robins, September 24, 2012, 9:50 am

As protests over cartoons and films spread throughout the world, we ask whether it's all a big con.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/opinion/pos...know-is-wrong/

It can be tough for a journalist to admit they were wrong, or misinformed. Perhaps it’s the tone of slight indignation that comes with the territory, or perhaps it’s faith in your information and sources that prompts such an authoritarian voice from the hinterland.

Either way, last week, I got something wrong.

The story of the week came attached with three buzzwords: Muslims. Movie. Protests.

It unfolded as follows.

On September 11th an "opportunistic attack" was carried out on a US embassy in Libya resulting in the first death of an American ambassador in more than 30 years, and four of his staff.

It was followed, very quickly, by a White House statement blaming an anti-Islamic film which provoked protests, which lead to the storming of the embassy.

But. on Sept 19th, the White House began to release, very quietly, that they believed the embassy attack was pre-planned.

In fact, if we didn’t rely solely on U.S. media, we would have known this fairly soon after the original incident occurred; the Libyan President Mohammed el-Megarif announced (via NPR on Sept 16th) that he believed al-Qaeda was behind the attacks.

Follow the U.S government’s response to news of the attack, and we begin to see how the ridiculous film ‘The Innocence of Muslims’ was barely a blip on the radar before Obama’s White House started to spin the issue. Various officials, from Hilary Clinton, to Susan Rice, to Obama himself, all pinned the Libyan attack as a protest that got ‘out of hand’, resulting in the consulate deaths.

As Glenn Greenwald points out, most major “media accounts from the day after the Benghazi attack repeated the White House line as though it were fact,” which ought to prompt some major concern over journalistic integrity.

By this time, protests were raging across the Islamic world, over what would have been yet another ridiculous, low-budget piece of schlock that had no ulterior purpose other than to crudely offend, something which had been floating around the internet for months before it made headlines last week.

Then came the French cartoons, which prompted further protests, this time spreading to Greece, Hong Kong, Bangladesh and other Western centres.

Two days ago, 20,000 people gathered in the Libyan city of Benghazi to protest the rise of local extremist Islamic militia who have been blamed for the attack on the US embassy.

The stories came consecutively over at the Guardian: Chris Stephen filed the first story on the storming of the Ansar al-Sharia brigade base by young anti-extremists. A consecutive report by Conal Urqhart almost 14 hours later detailed how the brigade had been driven from Benghazi at the cost of 11 lives. Chris Stephen’s subsequent report five hours after indicated the extremist militiamen were executed, and his piece ended rather interestingly:

“But as more eyewitness evidence accumulates, it is clear that the attack on the consulate was unprovoked, and that statements from Washington that it grew out of an anti-American protest appear to be false.”

What possible interest would the White House have in spinning the story in such a way?

Well, it’s a simple face-saving media operation, as Obama spokesman Jay Carney helpfully points out for us: “…it is in response not to US policy, not to, obviously, the administration, not to the American people. It is in response to a video – a film – that we have judged to be reprehensive and disgusting.”

So, in essence, the U.S. has, rather irresponsibly, created a larger issue and provoked threats to freedom of expression across the globe on the sole basis of covering for their lack of security at a U.S. embassy.

This is barely the surface of the issue, and I encourage you to dig deeper, and not rely on the mass media for your dose of daily truth.
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 26th September 2012 at 05:11.

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,604 times in 409 posts

Default Re: Everything you know is wrong

Everything you know is wrong

... I know that.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chuck For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (25th September 2012), Fredenit (25th September 2012), Kano (25th September 2012), Kindred (24th September 2012), KiwiElf (24th September 2012), Mad Hatter (25th September 2012), Turcurulin (26th September 2012)

4. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member sirdipswitch's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,166 times in 1,683 posts

Wrong? how'm I sposed ta figure out what's gonna happen, if everthing I know is wrong? All I can come up with is wrong answers. My o my, buckweat, now ya really got me in a termoil. gees, just when I get things figured out, they change the questions.

Oh well guess me an buckwheat, jus gonna go fishin. ccc.
    Love, Peace, Humor
    sirdipswitch

" A little knowledge, is a dangerous thing... so is a lot."
    - Albert Einstein -

"Please, Do NOT, believe a word that I say, for this is my journey not yours. Go do your own research. Listen to no-one. Find YOUR own Truth. As "I" did." "It is all just a Game, play it as you will."
    -sirdipswitch-

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sirdipswitch For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (25th September 2012), Fredenit (25th September 2012), KiwiElf (25th September 2012), Mad Hatter (25th September 2012)

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

Quote Posted by sirdipswitch (here)
    Wrong? how'm I sposed ta figure out what's gonna happen, if everthing I know is wrong? All I can come up with is wrong answers. My o my, buckweat, now ya really got me in a termoil. gees, just when I get things figured out, they change the questions.

Oh well guess me an buckwheat, jus gonna go fishin. ccc.
    I would say it this way, Everything we read/watch/listen to is sanitized , clouded, lies mixed in with truth, the only way above it all is to learn what you think you know all over again. It is said the truth shall set you free, then I say a lie will make you a prisoner. The truth is simple, all the answers you seek you already know, just go look in the mirror, you are part of creation and in this life we only get 10 percent of our minds, it's no accident. the other 90 percent ( active when we sleep) holds the keys. Learn to leave your body. Just before you go to sleep , meditate on this phrase, when my body goes to sleep, my mind will stay awake. say it over and over. then listen for the buzzing sound and don't be afraid let it happen. Now heavy covers, lay flat on your back , palms down, loose pajamas, total darkness, no distractions of sounds. you have the ability, just remember......remember.... you can do it. it's your greatest weapon.
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (25th September 2012), Fredenit (25th September 2012), gooty64 (25th September 2012), InTheBackground (25th September 2012), KiwiElf (25th September 2012), Mad Hatter (25th September 2012), sirdipswitch (25th September 2012)

8. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

If the BBC documentary (among many other sources) is correct, alQaeda does not exist, and never did. There is no gang that calls themselves alQaeda (unless it is all Arab-garbed CIA agents.) The term "alQaeda" (or the other spellings) was coined by the CIA, it means "the base" as in "the database" of names of CIA assets in the Middle East, many of whom fought the Russians as the "Mujahedin." In other words, the US CIA had a stake in getting Russia out of Afghanistan, and so they supported (not sure if it was just financial, or also with weapons) the Mujahedin, and called the group of people they were paying "the database", shortened to "the base", translated into Arabic is "alQaeda."

So, they exist, or did, only as a payroll ledger, not as a self-formed gang.

They do not exist.

There is no "spokesman" for the non-existent group that the mainscream media parrots the US government pretending to see called alQaeda. When you hear anything starting with, "A spokesman for alQaeda said..." just start laughing.

So, back to the OP: When this reporter admits he got it wrong, that a movie offensive to Muslims did not cause a US ambassador to be murdered, he also got it wrong when he allowed the same disinformation source (the US government) to hand him the next script - the one pointing to the fictitious alQaeda as the culprits.

The spin is to once again bolster belief in the boogyman: alQaeda. This could just be a maintenance dose of phony alQaeda belief into the group consciousness for general fear-pimping, or may be a sign that "alQaeda" is about to be blamed yet again for a BIG act of terror. If the US government is about to create some false flag terror, then they need to reestablish the international super-sneaky super-terrorist organization, "alQaeda."

Everything we know is wrong - if it came from the US government.

Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis Leahy; 25th September 2012 at 04:54.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

eileenrose (25th September 2012), gooty64 (25th September 2012), jc71 (25th September 2012), Kendall (25th September 2012), KiwiElf (25th September 2012), Mad Hatter (25th September 2012), Mark (25th September 2012)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,405 times in 1,148 posts

Roger Waters - The Tide Is Turning

I used to think the world was flat
    Rarely threw my hat into the crowd
    I felt I had used up my quota of yearning
    Used to look in on the children at night
    In the glow of their Donald Duck light
    And frighten myself with the thought
    of my little ones burning
    But, oh, oh, oh, the tide is turning
    The tide is turning
    Satellite buzzing through the endless night
    Exclusive to moonshots and world title fights
    Jesus Christ imagine what it must be earning
    Who is the strongest
    Who is the best
    Who holds the aces
    The East
    Or the West
    This is the crap our children are learning
    But oh, oh, oh, the tide is turning
    The tide is turning
    Oh, oh, oh, the tide is turning
    Now the satellite's confused
    'Cos on Saturday night
    The airwaves were full of compassion and light
    And his silicon heart warmed
    To the sight of a billion candles burning
    Oo, oo, oo, the tide is turning
    Oo, oo, oo, the tide is turning
    The tide is turning Billy
    I'm not saying that the battle is won
    But on Saturday night all those kids in the sun
    Wrested technology's sword from
    the hand of the war lords
    Oh, oh, oh, the tide is turning
    The tide is turning Sylvester
    The tide is turning

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cjay For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (25th September 2012), fathertedsmate (25th September 2012), KiwiElf (25th September 2012), Mad Hatter (25th September 2012), nomadguy (26th September 2012)

12. Link to Post #7
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    If the BBC documentary (among many other sources) is correct, alQaeda does not exist, and never did. There is no gang that calls themselves alQaeda (unless it is all Arab-garbed CIA agents.) The term "alQaeda" (or the other spellings) was coined by the CIA, it means "the base" as in "the database" of names of CIA assets in the Middle East, many of whom fought the Russians as the "Mujahedin." In other words, the US CIA had a stake in getting Russia out of Afghanistan, and so they supported (not sure if it was just financial, or also with weapons) the Mujahedin, and called the group of people they were paying "the database", shortened to "the base", translated into Arabic is "alQaeda."

So, they exist, or did, only as a payroll ledger, not as a self-formed gang.

They do not exist.

There is no "spokesman" for the non-existent group that the mainscream media parrots the US government pretending to see called alQaeda. When you hear anything starting with, "A spokesman for alQaeda said..." just start laughing.

So, back to the OP: When this reporter admits he got it wrong, that a movie offensive to Muslims did not cause a US ambassador to be murdered, he also got it wrong when he allowed the same disinformation source (the US government) to hand him the next script - the one pointing to the fictitious alQaeda as the culprits.

The spin is to once again bolster belief in the boogyman: alQaeda. This could just be a maintenance dose of phony alQaeda belief into the group consciousness for general fear-pimping, or may be a sign that "alQaeda" is about to be blamed yet again for a BIG act of terror. If the US government is about to create some false flag terror, then they need to reestablish the international super-sneaky super-terrorist organization, "alQaeda."

Everything we know is wrong - if it came from the US government.

Dennis
    Its really strange, the BBC makes a documentary like that, after all, its is a main stream media organisation, so who is paying for that one, as we all know the msm is owned by only a few major companies, so whats the agenda behind this docu, makes me wonder.

13. Link to Post #8
    France Avalon Member
    Thanks

Nakoula Basseley Nakoula
    Also known as Sam Bacile, the author of 'The Innocence of Muslims' is reported as having been an FBI informant since 2009. Other sites mention a connection to Mossad. Whether this is true or not, the release of a film on 9/11 insulting Islam has to be a calculated provocation designed to do just what it did – inflame a world-wide Muslim population already vilified by the MSM and rendered guilty by insinuation for most of the tension in the world. The recent NY City bus ads which equate 'Jihadists' with 'savages' is more of the same. The French satirical journal 'Charlie Hebdo' also spewed up its nasty-minded contribution, although French Muslims retained their calm.

News on French MSM two nights ago spoke of massive presence of US and allied warships in the Gulf apparently preparing for major combat excercises in October.

Renewed hatred of Muslims will of course serve to crystallize the mindset of Western nations into accepting anything that can be presented as an attempt to control these savages – a strike on Iran for example. It's evil manifest, and prayer is all we have.

It's amazing to me how otherwise intelligent, good-hearted people can be so one-eyed when it comes to this subject, absolutely incapable of looking at even recent history of these imperial manipulations – French and Belgian TV present round-table discussions ostensibly designed to get to the heart of the matter, and then dribble off into sterile intellectually-demonstrative discussions about 'freedom of speech' – as if that was a given - and laîcism. Charlie Hebdo is defended as being a defender of freedom of speech because they have also taken many shots at the Catholic Church. However, they say little or nothing about Israel, or the fact that anyone who manages to place a criticism of Zionism is immediately pilloried as an 'anti-semite.'

Tough times, folks. Like I said, prayer is all we have.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fructedor For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (25th September 2012), KiwiElf (25th September 2012), Mad Hatter (25th September 2012)

15. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member sirdipswitch's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,166 times in 1,683 posts

When I told my High Self: "Tell me something that I don't already know." After an hour, he finally quit laughing. Then He spoke... for a Thousand years...
    Love, Peace, Humor
    sirdipswitch

" A little knowledge, is a dangerous thing... so is a lot."
    - Albert Einstein -

"Please, Do NOT, believe a word that I say, for this is my journey not yours. Go do your own research. Listen to no-one. Find YOUR own Truth. As "I" did." "It is all just a Game, play it as you will."
    -sirdipswitch-

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sirdipswitch For This Post:

Cjay (26th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (25th September 2012), genevieve (26th September 2012), gooty64 (25th September 2012), KiwiElf (25th September 2012), Mad Hatter (25th September 2012)

17. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,006 times in 700 posts

"Everything you know is wrong"

Well I only know that I know nothing so does that mean nothing is wrong...

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mad Hatter For This Post:

Cjay (26th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (25th September 2012), KiwiElf (25th September 2012)

19. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 77,639 times in 8,594 posts

Here I thought this thread was about this great, great LP from the 70's.

Quote In my opinion, this album is by far the finest that Firesign Theatre have produced in their long and illustrious career. As far as I am aware, it has never been released on CD in the US, and this import might be the one shot anyone in the US has of owning this essential album. While they have produced other albums that are extraordinarily funny--such as DON'T TOUCH THAT DWARF, HAND ME THE PLIERS and HOW CAN YOU BE IN TWO PLACES AT ONCE WHEN YOU ARE NOWHERE AT ALL? (aka MARX/LENNON)--in EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG the guys utterly transcended themselves to create the finest comedy album ever released.
    The guys were never more creative than they were on this album. From the first seconds of the album, with the scratchy refrains of Strauss's ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA playing over "Happy" Harry Cox's introduction to his latest work, until the very end as everyone marches into the crater created by a meteor (and our missed opportunity at "Contact," in the Carl Sagan sense), this is a flat out laugh riot, as well as a prescient commentary on some of the flakier aspects of the 1970s. It could also be viewed as a critique of New Age thought (or Nude Age, in Firesign parlance). Harry informs us that there are very, very many things that we do not know: Dogs came from Outer Space! Indians can be in two places at once! Our forefathers used drugs! And he has proof! Some of the funniest parts of the album occur when he plays tapes for his fellow seekers (as he puts it at the beginning, "There's a seeker born every minute"). For instance, a tape recording of the Founding Fathers doing drugs (i.e., smoking hemp), which inspires one of them to cry out, "Let's have a revolution!" Mention is also made of Benjamin Franklin, "The only president of the United States, who was never president of the United States." We then manage to hear a very, very rare recording of "Uncle Tom" returning home after the Civil War. Someone tells him, "Uncle Tom, you're free!" To which he replies, "No I'm not. I's expensive."

The album contains an extended parody of both New Age thought and the stunts of Evel Knevel, and the way they anticipate much of the preoccupations of the eighties and nineties in paranormal phenomena is almost creepy. The album ends up not only being funny, but prophetic, too

There is only one truly awful moment on the album. Harry, in the last seconds of the album, asks if the events he is witnessing is a new beginning, only to answer the question himself, "No . . . it's the end." The only criticism of this marvelous album is that it has to end at all.

Anyone who has enjoyed any of the Firesign Theatre albums absolutely must acquire this one. Anyone unfamiliar with the group could find absolutely no better place to start enjoying their own bizarre form of comedy than with this album. Hopefully, this album will never be out of print again.

I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions. - Robert Anton Wilson

The present as you think of it, and in practical working terms, is that point at which you select your physical experience from all those events that could be materialized. - Seth (The Nature of Personal Reality - Session 656, Page 293)

(avatar image: Brocken spectre, a wonderful phenomenon of nature I have experienced and a symbol for my aspirations.)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mountain_jim For This Post:

Cjay (26th September 2012), KiwiElf (25th September 2012)

21. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,405 times in 1,148 posts

Quote Posted by Mad Hatter (here)

Paraphrasing Mr. Miyagi from the movie The Karate Kid:
    This glass of water represents what you think you know (or don't know). You must empty your mind (even if it's already empty) to make room for new knowledge.

I think I'm suffering from a brain ninja-ry (groan)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Cjay For This Post:

KiwiElf (1st October 2012)

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

Quote Posted by Mad Hatter (here)

Not quite. These are almost Socrates' famous (last) words, and you know what happened to him.

Now just drink up your hemlock, there's a good fellow

24. The Following User Says Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

25. Link to Post #14
    France Avalon Member
    Thanks

Here's a quote from last night's evening news on TF1, France's major TV channel – this was a throwaway comment at the end of the news broadcast, delivered with a ****-eating grin by the talking head.

Unfortunately I can't upload the photo, which was as described

« Avant de refermer ce journal, comme chaque soir, notre photo de jour – celle-ci vient d'Iran, elle a été prise dans le Grand Mosqué Khomeini à Teheran qui acceuille ces jours le Salon des Armes à Feu, un Salon ouvert à tous, ce qui explique la présence, vous le voyez, de ce garçon de huit ans qui s'exerce avec son nouveau jouet, un fusil automatique qui n'est pas du tout en plastique. »

"Before we close this news programme, here, like every evening, is our photo of the day – this one comes from Iran, and was taken in the Great Mosque Khomeini in Teheran, which is the site of the current Firearms Exhibition, an exhibition open to all, which explains the presence, as you can see, of this eight year-old boy who is practising with his new toy, an automatic rifle which is definitely not made of plastic."

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Fructedor For This Post:

+ Reply to Thread