+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Container Gardening

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,260 times in 2,136 posts
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 1st October 2012 at 05:00.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (23rd April 2014), Arrowwind (1st October 2012), bluestflame (1st October 2012), Dawn (1st October 2012), DeDukshyn (23rd April 2014), Dennis Leahy (23rd April 2014), Eram (5th October 2012), genevieve (1st October 2012), GK76 (1st October 2012), GlassSteagallfan (1st October 2012), Jenci (1st October 2012), MorningSong (1st October 2012), Nanoo Nanoo (1st October 2012), nomadguy (5th October 2012), omshanti2 (1st October 2012), spiritwind (7th October 2012), write4change (1st October 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,544 times in 2,615 posts

Default Re: Container Gardening

This system seems highly impractical for me due to the large amount that I garden but for my tomatoes it might be just perfect.

I plant tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets because I have to move them in and out the first three weeks or so during our growing season due to chilly nights.
    So Im thinking to set up a rain gutter in my sunroom for the night and one outside for the day.

Watering them all twice a day, sometimes 3 times a day is really time consuming and this year Ive been thinking that next year I'll have to increase to about 15 buckets instead of 4 to grow the amount of tomatoes I want.

I have two questions that I haven't found the answer to yet.

The float that attaches to the hose.... what does that do? and where do you get them. Do they somehow turn the water on and off?

the little net baskets, where do you get them? oh here. found them.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

one other unrelated gardening question... does anyone think that growing tomatoes in a 3 gallon bucket could be sufficient?
    Last edited by Arrowwind; 1st October 2012 at 18:04.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Eram (5th October 2012), Jenci (1st October 2012), Ron Mauer Sr (1st October 2012), write4change (1st October 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Arrowwind (here)

The float that attaches to the hose.... what does that do? and where do you get them. Do they somehow turn the water on and off?

the little net baskets, where do you get them? oh here. found them.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

one other unrelated gardening question... does anyone think that growing tomatoes in a 3 gallon bucket could be sufficient?
    Sources for parts are listed in the comment section of the first Youtube video.

The float valve ($8.27 + shipping) shuts off water to the gutter when the gutter is full. A garden hose is connected between the rain gutter and either a rain barrel or a house spigot with pressurized water. Either method is self watering.

Any 3 inch diameter net cup should work, such as those you found on Amazon.com.

I do not know the answer to your question about container size for tomatoes. If the bucket is too small the tomato plant may be a little smaller than it would be in a larger container.
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 1st October 2012 at 21:08.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Arrowwind (1st October 2012), Eram (5th October 2012), Jenci (1st October 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member olgraybear's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi,
    From my experience with container growing versus non-container planting, I believe that you shouldn't have any problems planting in a 3 gal. bucket.
    One way you could check is as the plants that you have growing in the 5's, as they get to the point that you see that they are not going to produce anymore, pour them out and see just how much space they take and use.
    Last edited by olgraybear; 1st October 2012 at 22:00.
    Who You Are and How You Are..... is everything

Go cafefully with peace in your heart, love in your eyes and laughter on your tongue and if you meet someone without a smile give them one of yours....

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to olgraybear For This Post:

Arrowwind (1st October 2012), Eram (5th October 2012), MorningSong (6th October 2012), Ron Mauer Sr (1st October 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Really cool! Do you have issues with mosquitoes in the water?

I have a few earth boxes that the mosquitoes do not seem to bother but I also have a few "grow boxes" that seem to attracked mosquitoes because of the 2-3 inch water fill opening.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penn For This Post:

Eram (5th October 2012), Ron Mauer Sr (6th October 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by penn (here)
    Really cool! Do you have issues with mosquitoes in the water?

I have a few earth boxes that the mosquitoes do not seem to bother but I also have a few "grow boxes" that seem to attracked mosquitoes because of the 2-3 inch water fill opening.
    Plant some mosquito repelling plants, like:
    Citronella
    Horsemint
    Marigolds
    Ageratum
    Catnip

:-D
    http://eartheasy.com/blog/2011/04/5-...elling-plants/
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Eram (5th October 2012), MorningSong (6th October 2012), olgraybear (2nd October 2012), penn (3rd October 2012), Ron Mauer Sr (6th October 2012)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member write4change's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,634 times in 628 posts

This system seems highly impractical for me due to the large amount that I garden but for my tomatoes it might be just perfect.

I plant tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets because I have to move them in and out the first three weeks or so during our growing season due to chilly nights.
    So Im thinking to set up a rain gutter in my sunroom for the night and one outside for the day.

Arrowwind,

Have you heard of anyone trying to grow tomatoes in the new way with upside down pots? I saw some on a clothes line in Texas. They were all cherry tomatoes which I am told freeze well. I have been freezing blueberries and they are wonderful put them in my purse to take to the movies.

Any way I found a place here that is selling the pots for a dollar. I am thinking of buying about 20 or so when I go back to Texas.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 2nd October 2012 at 00:10. Reason: fix quoting
    Beware the axis of sanctimony.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to write4change For This Post:

Eram (5th October 2012), Ron Mauer Sr (2nd October 2012)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by write4change (here)
    [Any way I found a place here that is selling the pots for a dollar. I am thinking of buying about 20 or so when I go back to Texas.
    Yes, the upside down plants grow well, ive seen them and they were, come to think of it, in 3 gallon pots, maybe even smaller. Just be aware that when you water them water will run out onto the floor so put them in the right place.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Eram (5th October 2012), Ron Mauer Sr (6th October 2012)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 times in 1,825 posts

Watering them all twice a day, sometimes 3 times a day is really time consuming and this year Ive been thinking that next year I'll have to increase to about 15 buckets instead of 4 to grow the amount of tomatoes I want.
    I have rigged a watering system that works great for me, but I plant in the ground. You could probably modify my technique to suit your needs. I have a regular garden hose with smaller black plastic tubes attached to either side of the hose. It's really easy, effective and inexpensive to make. To water a bunch of plants all you do is turn the pump on, wait a minute or two, then turn the pump off. Then wallah! you just watered all of your plants.

I may be planting (broccoli) tomorrow, I'll take a pic of my setup if I do.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Ron Mauer Sr (6th October 2012)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

I do use an irriagation system in my beds that I pick the parts up at home depot for. It eliminates needing to stand around to water things.

I was thinking that with the buckets placed into the rain gutters that the plants would never get dry. Buckets get dry it seems, faster than things put in the ground. Every time they got dry I could see their stress. I was thinking that the rain gutter system would keep them moister for long periods... and I guess I just really need to get some peatmoss into those buckets too.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 times in 1,825 posts

Yeah the buckets dry out really fast. Here in FL they need literally about twice as much water as plants in ground. I don't put them in full sun (even though the 'directions' say they need full sun) for the same reason you mention, you can see the stress. Plant looks droopy and leaves start curling up.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Strat For This Post:

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Inexpensive 5 gallon buckets can be used instead of the more costly Earthboxes.

Easy to move, the buckets can be used on sunny roof tops in the city, in suburbia, or on the farm. No need for power tools after the buckets have been built.

Buckets can be placed on rock, concrete, or poor soil. Anywhere there is sunlight. Just add a preferred growing medium to the bucket.

The double bucket design with internal water reservoir and cover minimize the maintenance usually needed watering and weeding a conventional garden.

Here are 3 variations to the simple design, just in time for Spring.

Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 23rd April 2014 at 01:50.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (23rd April 2014), DeDukshyn (23rd April 2014), Dennis Leahy (23rd April 2014), elixirsoo (18th July 2017), Octavusprime (27th April 2014)

25. Link to Post #13
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,452 times in 8,541 posts

Good Stuff! Thanks Ron!
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (23rd April 2014), Ron Mauer Sr (23rd April 2014)

+ Reply to Thread