+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to Identify GMO's on fresh produce

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member intruth's Avatar
    Thanks

Default How to Identify GMO's on fresh produce

I thought this info was useful from a posting on ufoextraterrestrialforum.com:

"
    Quote I’ve been meaning to share this with you guys and just got busy. A friend sent me an email about how to tell if foods are GM. Regular produce numbers start with 4, Organic starts with 9 and GMO’s start with 8. So, look for the eight. At least until they get onto us and change it. Someone will ‘leak’ the info to us just like they did this time though As far as packaged food, I avoid anything with any kind of corn listed in the ingredient label from corn syrup solids to high fructose corn syrup. Also any soy. Those are the two top GMO’s They are working on wheat. be careful of zucchini and sweet corn as far as produce. And, I’m afraid their next big coup will be wheat. I can hardly WAIT until we have to totally eliminate that. I can hear Sunfire chuckling. I hope our liberation is coming soon. We need to get our health back so we can help clean up our planet.
    Connie Knox
    September 6, 2012 at 3:19 pm
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I didn't know you could identify GMO's at all. This is good news, unfortunately only on fresh produce.
    intruth

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to intruth For This Post:

4evrneo (4th October 2012), Abhaya (12th November 2012), Anastasia (10th October 2012), eva08 (5th October 2012), fourty-two (12th November 2012), GlassSteagallfan (13th November 2012), Mark (4th October 2012), MorningSong (5th October 2012), NancyV (4th October 2012), ROMANWKT (12th November 2012), RunningDeer (5th October 2012), selinam (4th October 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 times in 448 posts

Default Re: How to Identify GMO's on fresh produce

Apparently this is a purely optional convention for the convenience of the retailer. Which means they aren't required to put an 8 on the GMO produce and probably never will.

Quote Those that run PLU-universe figured that someday some retailer might want to distinguish between a GMO and a non-GMO for price or inventory purposes. So they created a convention of 5 digits starting with an 8, just in case it catches on. But it hasn't. No one uses that number 8 as far as we can tell. And why would they? Most Americans say they would avoid GMOs if they were labeled.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffre..._b_473088.html

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Gekko,

Thanks for the response. That's what I was afraid of. Those m-effers!
    intruth

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to intruth For This Post:

Gekko (4th October 2012), RunningDeer (5th October 2012)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,488 times in 2,183 posts

I ran across this article that lists products in the US (and abroad, I imagine) that contain GMO ingredients:

http://shiftfrequency.com/comprehens...ts/#more-15820

Too many to post...

Here is a NON_GMO guide to download:

http://truefoodnow.org/shoppers-guide/
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

7. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

Anastasia (10th October 2012), GaelVictor (5th October 2012), Gekko (27th October 2012), genevieve (5th October 2012), GlassSteagallfan (13th November 2012), intruth (5th October 2012), Marin (28th October 2012), markpierre (5th October 2012), Referee (5th October 2012), RunningDeer (5th October 2012), seko (27th October 2012), Shade (13th November 2012)

8. Link to Post #5
    Ilie Pandia

Thanks MorningSong,

It seems someone else had the idea already and did the work too

And there even is a "True Food" app that you can download and use . Good stuff!

PS: This post was actually meant for here.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ilie Pandia For This Post:

Gekko (27th October 2012), intruth (5th October 2012), MorningSong (5th October 2012), ROMANWKT (12th November 2012), RunningDeer (5th October 2012)

10. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,298 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by Gekko (here)
    Apparently this is a purely optional convention for the convenience of the retailer. Which means they aren't required to put an 8 on the GMO produce and probably never will.

Quote Those that run PLU-universe figured that someday some retailer might want to distinguish between a GMO and a non-GMO for price or inventory purposes. So they created a convention of 5 digits starting with an 8, just in case it catches on. But it hasn't. No one uses that number 8 as far as we can tell. And why would they? Most Americans say they would avoid GMOs if they were labeled.
    Thanks, Gekko.
    I followed another link from your Huffington Post. I was surprised by a couple out of a long list from the Non GMO Shopping Guide site:

INVISIBLE GM INGREDIENTS

Processed foods often have hidden GM sources (unless they are organic or declared non-GMO). The following are ingredients that may be made from GMOs.

cobalamin (Vitamin B12)
    vitamin B12
    vitamin E
    whey
    whey powder

Several years ago, I used a top quality whey product. My gut said stop, but I purchased in bulk to keep the price and shipping down. Duh! Just did some research on whey, now I get it. Fortunately, my system won't tolerate garbage for too long.

I said this recently, there's different stages of awakening. (for me) And more uncovered for us to read up on. It's important to keep on top of it all. My take is be informed. Apply as many health benefits to all areas of mind, body, and spirit. Don't make yourself crazy about it. Negative self-mind programs only compound the issue.

FYI: I didn't cross check the list above. Please consider it a jump off point. (you probably already know this)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Anastasia (10th October 2012), Gekko (27th October 2012), MorningSong (5th October 2012)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Morning Song,

Thanks for that comprehensive list. First I'm going to print it with the intention of spreading this info far and wide and then I'm going to my kitchen to purge it of all this GMO junk.
    intruth

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to intruth For This Post:

Anastasia (10th October 2012), MorningSong (5th October 2012), RunningDeer (5th October 2012), seko (27th October 2012)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

I just ran across this new article on GMO Tomatoes and thought I'd put it up here:

Quote Nov 8, 2012 by APRIL McCARTHY
    New Varieties of Genetically Modified Tomatoes Coming Soon To a Grocery Near You

The tomato was one of the first commercially available genetically modified (GM) crops. In 1994, GM tomatoes hit the market in the US but have since disappeared. They're about to make a come back at a grocery near you.

Earlier forms of this GM crop included the transgenic tomato (FlavrSavr) which had a "deactivated" gene. This meant that the tomato plant was no longer able to produce polygalacturonase, an enzyme involved in fruit softening. The premise was that tomatoes could be left to ripen on the vine and still have a long shelf life, thus allowing them to develop their full flavour. Normally, tomatoes are picked well before they are ripe and are then ripened artificially.

These GM tomatoes, however, did not meet their expectations. Although they were approved in the US and several other countries, tomatoes with delayed ripening have disappeared from the market after peaking in 1998.

Today, tomatoes are being genetically modified to produce a peptide that mimics the actions of HDL cholesterol that biotechnology groups are promoting to supposedly reduce heart disease.

Led by Dr Alan Fogelman from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), USA, his study found that consumption of GM tomatoes resulted in reductions of plaque build-up in arteries (atherosclerosis).

"To our knowledge this is the first example of a drug with these properties that has been produced in an edible plant and is biologically active when fed without any isolation or purification," said Fogelman.

The rollout into major grocery retailers is expected, however no timeline has been established until more research is completed.

Research Details

The UCLA team genetically engineered tomatoes to produce 6F -- a small peptide that mimics the action of ApoA-1, which is the main protein of high density lipoprotein (HDL) or 'good' cholesterol.

Fogelman and his team fed the tomatoes to mice that lack the ability to remove low density lipoprotein (LDL) or cholesterol from their blood, and therefore develop inflammation and atherosclerosis when consuming a high-fat diet.

Similar gene modification techniques were devised in GM crops that led to tumors in a long-term widely publicized study on GM corn fed rats.

"The problem remains as with all GM techniques, that we simply don't know what the long-term effects of consuming such foods will be since short-term studies can never tell us," said researcher and geneticist Professor Thomas Tranter.

Multiple Projects

There are many other biotech projects aiming to enrich tomatoes with substances that may offer health benefits which claim to be more nutritious, however no human or long-term studies are planned to discover their effects on metabolism.

Monsanto developed tomatoes that delayed ripening by preventing the production of ethylene, a hormone that triggers ripening of fruit. Although the tomatoes were briefly tested in the marketplace, patent arguments forced its withdrawal.

Tomatoes (along with potatoes, bananas and other plants) are also being investigated as vehicles for delivering edible vaccines. Clinical trials have been conducted on mice using tomatoes that stimulate antibody production targeted to norovirus, hepatitis B, rabies, HIV and anthrax.

Korean scientists are looking at using the tomato to expressing a vaccine against Alzheimer's disease. Hilary Koprowski, who was involved in the development of the polio vaccine, is leading a group of researchers in developing a tomato expressing a recombinant vaccine to SARS.

Although GM foods can only be planted in many countries as part of a trial, and even then only under strict conditions, millions of hectares of the crops have already been planted in the Americas.

Campaigners have warned that there is no compulsory labelling of meat or dairy products from animals which have been fed on GM crops, and that any long-term problems from eating the foods is still unknown.

The most recent proposition 37 for GM labeling in California was tossed out in a controversial yet official State ballot which lost 53% of the votes.
    http://preventdisease.com/news/12/11...Near-You.shtml

15. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

PS:

Why is this in the Forum Tech Q's & A's section???

Mods, please fix as there is a very recent thread on GMO foods, too. (maybe merge them?)

16. Link to Post #10
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,433 times in 21,489 posts

Quote Posted by MorningSong (here)
    Why is this in the Forum Tech Q's & A's section???
    This thread got posted in the wrong sub-forum. I moved it to the General Discussion sub-forum.

If I happen on the other more recent GMO thread, I'll consider whether I think it helpful to merge them.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

17. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by MorningSong (here)
    I ran across this article that lists products in the US (and abroad, I imagine) that contain GMO ingredients:

http://shiftfrequency.com/comprehens...ts/#more-15820

Too many to post...

Here is a NON_GMO guide to download:

http://truefoodnow.org/shoppers-guide/
    Hi Morningsong, thanks for posting the GMO link from my blog. Blessings, Gillian

18. Link to Post #12
    Australia Avalon Member TigaHawk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,103 times in 742 posts

This is a Lie.

Something Similar circulated Australia, but it was to identify products actualy made/owned by Australian company's. We were told local owned stuff would start with a 013 or the such.

Hunk of steaming Poo. It was hard to find something that did not start with those numbers, and they were definately NOT aussie owned/made. Its just a Generic code.

This is my own way of telling whats GMO or not, abeit not reliable as lab equipment and testing but they seem to do a damn good job regardless.

Buy some. Take it home. Cut some up. Go find an ands nest. Put some at the ants nest.

If they eat it. It's ok.

If they drag it away from the nest..... dont.

Dont believe me?

Go buy some KFC Chicken or a Maccas Burger, put them next to an ants nest and see what they do with it. You will be surprised.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TigaHawk For This Post:

witchy1 (13th November 2012)

20. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,686 times in 774 posts

Quote Posted by WhiteCrowBlackDeer (here)

Thanks, Gekko.
    I followed another link from your Huffington Post. I was surprised by a couple out of a long list from the Non GMO Shopping Guide site:

INVISIBLE GM INGREDIENTS

Processed foods often have hidden GM sources (unless they are organic or declared non-GMO). The following are ingredients that may be made from GMOs.

cobalamin (Vitamin B12)
    vitamin B12
    vitamin E
    whey
    whey powder

Several years ago, I used a top quality whey product. My gut said stop, but I purchased in bulk to keep the price and shipping down. Duh! Just did some research on whey, now I get it. Fortunately, my system won't tolerate garbage for too long.

I said this recently, there's different stages of awakening. (for me) And more uncovered for us to read up on. It's important to keep on top of it all. My take is be informed. Apply as many health benefits to all areas of mind, body, and spirit. Don't make yourself crazy about it. Negative self-mind programs only compound the issue.

FYI: I didn't cross check the list above. Please consider it a jump off point. (you probably already know this)
    whitecrowblakedeer,
    i do. not. know. any of this. can you please tell me a bit more? i have a 2.5yr old and i'd really like to start making life changes now. vitamin b12 and others i had no idea about...
    thank you in advance.
    unite, alright
    you know one thing about music? when it hits, you feel no pain!

21. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,298 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by teradactyl (here)
    Quote Posted by WhiteCrowBlackDeer (here)

Thanks, Gekko.

INVISIBLE GM INGREDIENTS

cobalamin (Vitamin B12)
    vitamin B12
    vitamin E
    whey
    whey powder

whitecrowblakedeer,
    i do. not. know. any of this. can you please tell me a bit more? i have a 2.5yr old and i'd really like to start making life changes now. vitamin b12 and others i had no idea about...
    thank you in advance.
    Hello again, Teradactyl,

I've combined the posts to get you started at "Self Empowerment Time" thread. What works for me is "just keep it simple".

Peace,
    WhiteCrowBlackDeer

22. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member nurgle's Avatar
    Thanks

I went into the store last night to get some foods, the store is Safeway, and I looked at the produce, I saw 4...'s and 9...'s but no 8...'s.

so who knows if everything is truly being labeled correctly...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to nurgle For This Post:

RunningDeer (13th November 2012)

+ Reply to Thread