+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: California Gas $5 per gallon...

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,308 times in 7,756 posts

Default California Gas $5 per gallon...

3 refiners, one had a fire, one popped a circuit breaker and the third shut down for general repairs...

independents are out of gas, and closing down...

this is a direct attack on California by the 7 sisters...

Our State needs to immediately open a refinery, now that the oil companies have proven they are not willing to produce enough to make it through short term shut downs...

the Gas is California's and profits would do much more for the state budget than a billionaires pocket...

Build holding tanks, release when prices rise, buy up when they drop...

storing Crude does nothing for us, what if power shuts off, going to burn Crude to produce fuel?

Keep your eyes peeled the desperate PTB is getting stupid, so we need to raise our voices to point out where they are failing humanity...

2. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Retired Member Fred Ryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: California Gas $5 per gallon...

Actually, I live in California and just bought gas for $4.40 per gallon. This works out to about 0.89€ or 0.72£ per liter. Our friends in Europe probably don't feel so sorry for us.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fred Ryan For This Post:

aniN (6th October 2012), Earth Angel (6th October 2012), haibane (7th October 2012), selinam (6th October 2012)

4. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member spiritguide's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,730 times in 1,479 posts

States need not for profit refineries and undersell the oil magnates. They are ripping us off and the government is letting them. If there is a shortage due to their own mismanagement and if a shortage is for seen the price should be frozen at the time it is known. They are not guaranteed profits just because. Instead of reinvesting profits in updating refineries, they have shut down refineries and paid out the dividends and bonuses. They left us shorted on supply with the governments approval and jacked prices on us to insure the profits. They started this program in the seventies, watched it going down in MI. Guess which cup the bean will be under on the next shuffle? You would think the folks in CA would have learned with the brown out shuffle they went through with electricity. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice I'm dumb. Wonder how MSM will portray this scam. IMHO
    Last edited by spiritguide; 6th October 2012 at 19:54.

5. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,589 times in 355 posts

Suck it up mate, we are paying more than twice that because of our thieving government

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daft Ada For This Post:

Earth Angel (6th October 2012), spiritguide (6th October 2012)

7. Link to Post #5
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,438 times in 21,490 posts

The American Automobile Association (AAA) California state average for regular gasoline at the pump is $4.61 per gallon, from here.

Prices vary, of course (outside a few nations that mandate a universal price), and no doubt some California pumps are well above $5.00 per gallon by now.

The current US national average is $3.80 per gallon, from here. California has the highest average of any state, even above Alaska and Hawaii, who are (as best I recall) the usual high priced leaders.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 6th October 2012 at 20:57.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

spiritguide (6th October 2012)

9. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,488 times in 2,183 posts

Yep, in a 30km radius around where I live, the least expensive unleaded costs Euro 1.82/litre and deisel is around Euro 1. 69/litre.... it's actually come down since mid August when unleaded reached Euro 2.01/ litre.

This is a good site for gas prices too:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/gasprices/index.shtml
    Last edited by MorningSong; 6th October 2012 at 20:09.
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

spiritguide (6th October 2012)

11. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member spiritguide's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,730 times in 1,479 posts

Quote Posted by Daft Ada (here)
    Suck it up mate, we are paying more than twice that because of our thieving government
    BP owns ya huh. Don't worry the crown gets their cut for letting them rape the serfs. Sorry about that mate! Question is will we get it right before you do?

12. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,535 times in 32,788 posts

-------

Ecuador: $1.48 a gallon. (Diesel is $1.04.) The prices are held the same in every gas station nationwide.

In Europe, gas is often over $9 per gallon, and has been for many years.

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Art (7th October 2012), Beren (6th October 2012), Brizil (7th October 2012), Buck (7th October 2012), Nick Matkin (6th October 2012), sirdipswitch (6th October 2012), spiritguide (6th October 2012), Yoda (9th October 2012)

14. Link to Post #9
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    The American Automobile Association (AAA) California state average for regular gasoline at the pump is $4.61 per gallon, from here.

Prices vary, of course (outside a few nations that mandate a universal price), and no doubt some California pumps are well above $5.00 per gallon by now.

The current US national average is $3.80 per gallon, from here. California has the highest average of any state, even above Alaska and Hawaii, who are (as best I recall) the usual high priced leaders.
    we used to be (on average) a dollar over the lower 48 prices...

its $4.09 today.

but the economy in Alaska is "special" & still hasn't seen the recession that is going on in the lower 48 mostly due to the fact that our three biggest industries are OIL: Federal government : State government.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

15. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,020 times in 2,189 posts

Fred, this is not meant as an affront to your statement but it is a prevailing thought that seems to be creeping into the American thought process.

Quote Actually, I live in California and just bought gas for $4.40 per gallon. This works out to about 0.89€ or 0.72£ per liter. Our friends in Europe probably don't feel so sorry for us.
    This is exactly the sort of thinking and attitude Americans must guard against. Just because other countries are being screwed by their governments taxing fuel at a high rate there is no reason for citizens of the USA to accept higher fuel rates through taxes. As a matter of fact there is no reason for citizens of the world to accept higher fuel rates at all. There is an abundance of fuel in the ground and in shale. Enough for your lifetime and your children's lifetime regardless of what the media wants you to believe. Prices of fuel would drop immediately and deeply if the United States and other countries would start more exploration. Even if it takes years to get that same fuel into a refinery prices would still drop dramatically. This is the case even if we exclude deep water oil exploration.

We should be exploring solar, hydro, electric and every other green energy with a vengeance but we should not allow our government tax gas at exorbitant rates while the search for alternative fuel progresses. Every thinking person on the planet wants clean renewable energy, we do not need politicians trying to force their own unworkable and unreasonable agendas on us all in the name of wasteful spending that they refuse to get under control.

The last time I was in Europe I paid $180 for one tank of gas, I was amazed that people are not marching on government offices for this one reason alone.

The universe has a way of providing and we should not ignore this fact!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Art (7th October 2012), Earth Angel (8th October 2012), spiritguide (6th October 2012), TargeT (6th October 2012)

17. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by rgray222 (here)
    We should be exploring solar, hydro, electric and every other green energy with a vengeance but we should not allow our government tax gas at exorbitant rates while the search for alternative fuel progresses. Every thinking person on the planet wants clean renewable energy, we do not need politicians trying to force their own unworkable and unreasonable agendas on us all in the name of wasteful spending that they refuse to get under control.

The last time I was in Europe I paid $180 for one tank of gas, I was amazed that people are not marching on government offices for this one reason alone.

We already know how to make power for practically free, we had a functioning LFTR reactor in the US for over 10 years; clearly energy must be controlled and limited (manufactured scarcity) to control people.

eventually people will realize this and do something about it, but for now they just wonder why gas prices go up and blame refinery closures, there are trillion barrel fields of oil in the US that are purposefully not being developed (probably for the same reason) people will get bored of TV at some point and start to question, I can already see it starting to happen.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

rgray222 (7th October 2012), spiritguide (6th October 2012)

19. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

You know, you Brits tell us USA folks to suck it up cause you pay twice as much as us at the pump.... but we dont have the mass transit you do and our cities and suburbs are designed for car use. Its a hard smack on a family this price and we are years and years away from having decent mass transit.

You Brits have done what you were told and you use mass transit... us in the USA, we have done what we were told and we use cars... but now they are pulling the rug out from under us and community funds across the nation are too broke to deal with it.

It will be a rough road ahead but we knew that.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Art (7th October 2012), spiritguide (6th October 2012)

21. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member Latti's Avatar
    Thanks

American became so enamored with the automobile that we didn't build adequate mass-transit infrastructure like many other nations. We also chose to move out into the suburbs with many miles (km) to commute each day.

Yes, gas is more expensive in Europe, but you can travel a shorter distance crossing Europe that driving across California from South to North or vise versa.

The current situation in California reminds me of a song by Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Latti For This Post:

Art (7th October 2012), spiritguide (6th October 2012)

23. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member gripreaper's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,685 times in 3,744 posts

And there is no talk about inflation.

Cost of Living 1999
    How Much things cost in 1999
    Yearly Inflation Rate USA 2.19%
    Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 11,497
    Interest Rates Year End Federal Reserve 8.50%
    Average Cost of new house $131,750.00
    Average Income per year $40,810.00
    Average Monthly Rent $645.00
    Cost of a gallon of Gas $1.22
    Average cost of new car $21,050.00
    US Postage Stamp 33 cents
    1 LB of Bacon $2.59
    Ground Coffee per IB $3.41
    Loaf of Bread $1.49
    Dozen Eggs 89 cents

Cost of Living 2011
    How Much things cost in 2011
    Average Cost of New House $262,260.00
    Cost of a gallon of Gas $3.52
    US Postage Stamp 44 cents
    Gallon of Milk $3.39
    Move Ticket $8.20
    Price Of Gold Per Ounce ( August 2011 ) $1,677.95
    Average Yearly Wages $40,925.00

Move along folks, nothing to see here.
    Last edited by gripreaper; 6th October 2012 at 23:24.
    "Lay Down Your Truth and Check Your Weapons
    The Next Voice You Hear Will Be Your OWN"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhS69C1tr0w

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gripreaper For This Post:

Art (7th October 2012), Belle (7th October 2012), Ol' Roy (7th October 2012), spiritguide (7th October 2012), write4change (6th October 2012)

25. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member write4change's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,632 times in 628 posts

This is going a very good job of making it real. Thank you for that.
    Beware the axis of sanctimony.

26. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Quote Posted by rgray222 (here)
    Fred, this is not meant as an affront to your statement but it is a prevailing thought that seems to be creeping into the American thought process.

Quote Actually, I live in California and just bought gas for $4.40 per gallon. This works out to about 0.89€ or 0.72£ per liter. Our friends in Europe probably don't feel so sorry for us.
    This is exactly the sort of thinking and attitude Americans must guard against. Just because other countries are being screwed by their governments taxing fuel at a high rate there is no reason for citizens of the USA to accept higher fuel rates through taxes. As a matter of fact there is no reason for citizens of the world to accept higher fuel rates at all. There is an abundance of fuel in the ground and in shale. Enough for your lifetime and your children's lifetime regardless of what the media wants you to believe. Prices of fuel would drop immediately and deeply if the United States and other countries would start more exploration. Even if it takes years to get that same fuel into a refinery prices would still drop dramatically. This is the case even if we exclude deep water oil exploration.

I actually think that the price of gasoline in the US is kept artificially low so as to discourage alternative energy and/or transportation. I actually don't think that I'm getting screwed by the recent increase in gas prices, I actually think I'm getting screwed by low gas prices that perpetuates an unsustainable and environmentally distructive lifestyle.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Ryan For This Post:

write4change (7th October 2012)

28. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Fred Ryan (here)

I actually think that the price of gasoline in the US is kept artificially low so as to discourage alternative energy and/or transportation. I actually don't think that I'm getting screwed by the recent increase in gas prices, I actually think I'm getting screwed by low gas prices that perpetuates an unsustainable and environmentally distructive lifestyle.

If that were true then why would Europe not be engineering new energy sources?
    Where are you?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

spiritguide (9th October 2012)

30. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    Quote Posted by Fred Ryan (here)

If that were true then why would Europe not be engineering new energy sources?
    They did, it's called public transportation.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Ryan For This Post:

RMorgan (8th October 2012)

32. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 times in 238 posts

deleted post
    Last edited by pilotsimone; 17th July 2015 at 09:30.
    Let go or be dragged. -Zen proverb

33. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member Warlock's Avatar
    Thanks

Why do some continue to compare our gas prices to nations with higher gas prices?

How about we compare to the lowest gas prices and ask why we are not paying THOSE PRICES?

Algeria 1.19 Turkmenistan .72
    Oman 1.18 Libya .54
    Egypt 1.13 Saudi Arabia .45
    Qatar .88 Venezuela .06
    Kuwait .81
    Bahrain .80

Prices are in U.S. dollars as of March 2011 AOL Daily Finance.

Now, WHY are we not paying THESE prices?

Warlock
    Ignorance is Bliss

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Warlock For This Post:

spiritguide (8th October 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast