+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast

Thread: Mathematical Questions

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,098 times in 2,584 posts

Default Re: Mathematical Questions

When I first saw the question, what does 2 1/12, I saw 13 over 12. Think of the implication of this in a base 12 system. The 13th iteration is the same fraction 1/12 that has just surpassed the whole.

Going from 12 to 13 is significant. In fact, I just documented this week all the 12s in my life this year, and all the 13s next year. (It has taken me 12 years to establish a body of literary work. I'm entering a new phase the 13th year when I leave my home and go on the road.)
    I began a new era in my life in 2000 -moved to Oregon from Florida- and I've recently been guided to leave the area. This is the end of the 12th year in the NW and I'll begin my 13th year elsewhere.
    My age adds up to 12, but having a birthday in early January, I my age numbers will add up to 13 right after the beginning of the year.

As far as calculation, it looks like you have it covered, but I used to teach fractions as a math teacher at the age level where they had to be able to do it by hand without a calculator.

Smiles,
    Michelle Marie

I feel the shift. I'm getting lots of signs. I've always been intuitive, but now off the charts! This is a phenomenon. Many people are talking about the information they are receiving.
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

AwakeInADream (17th October 2012), Limor Wolf (3rd November 2012), Mad Hatter (19th October 2012)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,913 times in 540 posts

I've only just realized myself that I was asking what does 2 1/12 mean in relation to music, but symbolically, perhaps subconsciously
    I was also asking what does 21/12 mean in terms of the consciousness shift that we are all feeling as the Mayan calendar draws to a new beginning.

Thank's Michelle Marie!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AwakeInADream For This Post:

Limor Wolf (3rd November 2012), Mad Hatter (19th October 2012)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks

I'm seeing mirror image numbers a lot and have for awhile.

But, you were talking about two and a twelfth, right?

Anyway, I've been thinking about the reconciliation of opposites, or responding pairs. and in my mind I see like an accordion folding up. The octaves of music, sound. color, etc. folding into its complement. Oh, I'm getting it as I write...all back to zero, or zero point. Well, this is just perfect. I just realized I'll be sending this at 11:11.

Cheers!
    Michelle
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

AwakeInADream (17th October 2012), Limor Wolf (3rd November 2012), Mad Hatter (19th October 2012)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks

I like numbers that are symmetrical like 121 and 101, I don't know why. It's as if I can see a number and sense it's vibration on some level.

It's interesting that you mention octaves of sound and colour, I made a post on this last week here:https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post568115

I'd like you to take a look at this since I'm not sure if my calculations are right, but I'm trying to figure out what the octaves of musical notes would be
    if they were doubled up into the Theta Hertz range of colour. I'd rather find out myself, than simply trust blindly the generally accepted values.

Cheers!

EDIT: I've given 404 thank's! Nice symmetry and synchronicity!
    Last edited by AwakeInADream; 17th October 2012 at 06:33.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AwakeInADream For This Post:

Mad Hatter (19th October 2012), Michelle Marie (17th October 2012)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member Rantaak's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 times in 360 posts

Quote Posted by AwakeInADream (here)
    I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about mathematical questions,
    because whatever I happen to be researching, it always leads back to numbers.
    And from numbers to infinity and ultimately back to the mind of God.

I am hoping this thread will attract any mathematician's out there with a desire to teach,
    and also others like myself who desire to learn or re-learn a subject that was sadly
    made so dull at school and yet remains so vitally important to every field of knowledge.

It is becoming increasingly obvious that the establishment cannot be trusted to teach us
    anything of value, particularly when it comes to things like statistics.
    This is why I seek to test things out for myself, in order to gain a practical understanding,
    and this attitude applies just as much to spirituality as it does to the science's.
    I feel it makes no sense at all to believe anything blindly.

I think this thread fit's in pretty well with Project Avalon's main theme, and I think there is a
    real need for the spiritually minded to have a strong foundation in mathematics.
    I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can help with this.

My first question is this and has to do with ratio's and music:

QUESTION: The 12 note equal temperament system of western music is represented by 2 1/12.
    What does this ratio mean? 2 1/12?

(*Note ET stands for equal temperament throughout)

I was lucky enough to find a decimal value online in order to work out the frequencies for
    a 12 note equal temperament scale which is 1.0594631.
    You take the start note 440Hz(A) and times it by 1.0594631 to get the 2nd note 466.16Hz(A#) and so on until you reach the octave 880Hz(A).

How does this number (1.0594631) relate to the ratio 2 1/12?

The reason I needed to know was because I wanted to work out how to calculate other equal temperaments like 22ET and 14ET. 22 equal temperament is expressed as 2 1/22 and 14ET is 2 1/14.

I have now figured out all of the decimal values needed to get any equal temperament from 2-26, which I did
    in a spreadsheet through trial and error, changing the values slightly until the octave was right. This process took many unnecessary hours.

This is what I got for 22ET: 1.03200827973421 but how does it relate to 2 1/22?
    And 14ET: 1.05075663865322 to 2 1/14?

This process would have been much easier if I had known more about ratio's and math's.
    I'm sure it could have been done in no time at all with a much more elegant solution.

Does this have something to do with logarithms(I don't understand them at all)?

The only relationship I have found between these decimal values is that
    the square root of the 12 equal temperament number gives you the number needed for a 24ET. And if you square the 12ET number you get the 6ET number...

If you're wondering how all this relates to spirituality, it's because I wanted first to be able
    to represent the 22 letters of the holy Hebrew alphabet by musical notes, and secondly I am interested in how music made with various different ET's might affect consciousness.
    Well your values may be off.

Very interesting question, though - I am very excited to see where this leads. I have a background in mathematics as I studied all aspects of video game production while in college. Needless to say, we did a lot of math and from working with applying math for so long, it was very natural that I developed a particular intimacy with the relationships it seems to suggest.

I believe that the natural frequency of A4 is actually 432 hertz - one of those Nazi guys changed the standard during their reign to 440 for some unspeakably nefarious reason. If you multiply 432 hertz by your ratio of 1.0594631, you will instead arrive at 457.6880592, which should be the natural frequency of A4#. Anyway, I hope you find whatever you're looking for!
    By Seeking You May Find. By Doing You May Become.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rantaak For This Post:

AwakeInADream (17th October 2012), Mad Hatter (19th October 2012), Michelle Marie (17th October 2012)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

I'm getting this stuff come into my mind from inside. It is emerging. I do get information about sacred geometry, numbers, relationships, equations/balance. It's more like pieces of a puzzle that is just now coming into view and will be put together and clear as time goes on.

I like 404 and symmetry, too. It's good for mirror math! ...and mirror matter

Lots of love,
    Michelle

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rantaak (here)
    I have a background in mathematics as I studied all aspects of video game production while in college. Needless to say, we did a lot of math and from working with applying math for so long, it was very natural that I developed a particular intimacy with the relationships it seems to suggest.

I believe that the natural frequency of A4 is actually 432 hertz - one of those Nazi guys changed the standard during their reign to 440 for some unspeakably nefarious reason. If you multiply 432 hertz by your ratio of 1.0594631, you will instead arrive at 457.6880592, which should be the natural frequency of A4#. Anyway, I hope you find whatever you're looking for!
    Yes! I've already been sold on the virtues of the 432 tuning, I just used 440 here because that's the one most people recognize.

I'm also now considering making A 444Hz (888Hz) because that would make C 528Hz(the frequency of love and DNA repair), and 888 is the numerology of Jesus in Greek.

Video games production, fascinating! I wish I could have studied that. I program a little in C++, just simple things (numerology and music theory stuff), I don't know how to use sound and graphics yet (which I would love to do)...

I've been thinking of writing a program that would analyze any number I give it in the Pythagorean method (abundant/deficient/perfect numbers etc..), and other ways too.

Maybe you can help?

Do you know an easy way to find out if any number is a prime number?
    (in a way that a computer can understand)

Cheers!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AwakeInADream For This Post:

gripreaper (20th October 2012), Mad Hatter (19th October 2012)

15. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rantaak (here)
    I have a background in mathematics as I studied all aspects of video game production while in college. Needless to say, we did a lot of math and from working with applying math for so long, it was very natural that I developed a particular intimacy with the relationships it seems to suggest.

Yes! I've already been sold on the virtues of the 432 tuning, I just used 440 here because that's the one most people recognize.

I'm also now considering making A 444Hz (888Hz) because that would make C 528Hz(the frequency of love and DNA repair), and 888 is the numerology of Jesus in Greek.

Video games production, fascinating! I wish I could have studied that. I program a little in C++, just simple things (numerology and music theory stuff), I don't know how to use sound and graphics yet (which I would love to do)...

I've been thinking of writing a program that would analyze any number I give it in the Pythagorean method (abundant/deficient/perfect numbers etc..), and other ways too.

Maybe you can help?

Do you know an easy way to find out if any number is a prime number?
    (in a way that a computer can understand)

Cheers!

Maybe this will help:
    http://www.paulgriffiths.net/program/c/prime.php

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

AwakeInADream (19th October 2012), Mad Hatter (19th October 2012)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

Thank's Michelle!
    Quote by definition any number which is not prime can be divided by at least one other prime number
    That's a useful rule!

Do you know anything interesting about Pythagorean Mathematics?

I'd love to hear from one that knows...

In fact tell me anything number related...
    Sacred Geometry is just pretty pictures to most people,
    but to a Maths Teacher!!! I can't imagine...

Please tell me something wonderful?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AwakeInADream For This Post:

Limor Wolf (3rd November 2012), Mad Hatter (19th October 2012)

19. Link to Post #30
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

I've got a question I think might be easier for someone to answer.

If 22/7 represents Pi (thank's Araucaria!).

What fraction represents the golden ratio Phi?
    Answer: any number in the Fibonnaci sequence divided by the previous number: eg 8/5 (which incidentally is the ratio between kilometers and miles )
    These are approximations and if you move higher up the sequence they improve.
    According to Maurice Chatelain the Phi value in ancient Egypt was 196/121, which equals 14 squared divided by 11 squared. Hence the square root of phi equals 14/11 = 4/Pi - 1.27272

The practical advantage of using fractions means that if you have a piece of string 7 units long, you can draw a circle 2 * 22/7 * 7 units (2 Pi x r) = 44 units in circumference. Or with 12 units of string, you can divide it into 3, 4 and 5, which will draw a Pythagorean triangle and give you a right angle without having to measure it

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

21. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

Thank's Araucaria!
    So the further up the Fibonnaci sequence you get the closer to Phi you get.
    Where do you stop? Infinity?
    Ah! Then Phi must be an irrational number?
    Like Pete said...

Did you know that the Greek word for 'Wisdom' is 'Sophia',
    and the Greek letter that is in the center of that word is Phi.
    So it seems that the Golden Ratio is 'central' to Greek Wisdom!

Cheers!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AwakeInADream For This Post:

Anastasia (19th October 2012), Limor Wolf (3rd November 2012), Mad Hatter (19th October 2012)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

Thank's Araucaria!
    So the further up the Fibonnaci sequence you get the closer to Phi you get.
    Where do you stop? Infinity?
    Ah! Then Phi must be an irrational number?
    Like Pete said...

Did you know that the Greek word for 'Wisdom' is 'Sophia',
    and the Greek letter that is in the center of that word is Phi.
    So it seems that the Golden Ratio is 'central' to Greek Wisdom!

Cheers!
    You might also say the further down the sequence you go, the closer Phi approximates to 1

I also hown that the Greek word for one kind of love is Philos -Phi again - hence philosophy is phi to the second power.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

AwakeInADream (19th October 2012), Limor Wolf (3rd November 2012), Mad Hatter (19th October 2012)

25. Link to Post #33
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,182 times in 1,657 posts

Oh, now this reminds me of Marty Leeds and the theory of Gematria:

I haven't yet properly thought it through, so I can't really say anything about it.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Violet For This Post:

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

Quote Posted by araucaria (here)

Answer: any number in the Fibonnaci sequence divided by the previous number: eg 8/5 (which incidentally is the ratio between kilometers and miles
    The crux of the matter is the debate over the base 10 vs. base 12 number systems. I looked into this awhile back...fascinating.
    Another paradoxical reconciliation at hand???? Both/and??

Now, this is interesting...

Base 12 and Plastic Reality

Agreed upon reality-objective (similar experiences), and subjective reality.
    REALITY: "Subjective stream of experience of data points."
    Fascinating!

Oh, I see...
    We create reality by causing through intention

Consecutive and linear is also in play, this guy says.

But, to ME it IS both/and.
    Nonlinear reality is base 12. Linear reality is base 10.Different realms exist simultaneously.
    Out of the subjective base 12 reality emerges the base 10 objective reality.

As the base 10 scientists discredit the base 12 reality (imagination, dreams, etc) to prove themselves right, they are compromising the integrity of Wholeness.

We are TRULY reconciling opposites at this time.

I have to say that looking at math and consciousness together is activating some remembrance. I often contemplate and use sacred geometry consciousness.
    If I ever get enough people on board who can understand it enough to use its power, I intend to create a consciousness plan I wrote up several years ago.
    Group mind power. We don't use it enough. Why?

Thanks to all for sharing.

Blessings of peace and happiness,
    Michelle Marie

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

29. Link to Post #35
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Michelle Marie (here)

Answer: any number in the Fibonnaci sequence divided by the previous number: eg 8/5 (which incidentally is the ratio between kilometers and miles
    The crux of the matter is the debate over the base 10 vs. base 12 number systems. I looked into this awhile back...fascinating.
    Another paradoxical reconciliation at hand???? Both/and??

Now, this is interesting...

Base 12 and Plastic Reality

Agreed upon reality-objective (similar experiences), and subjective reality.
    REALITY: "Subjective stream of experience of data points."
    Fascinating!

Oh, I see...
    We create reality by causing through intention

Consecutive and linear is also in play, this guy says.

But, to ME it IS both/and.
    Nonlinear reality is base 12. Linear reality is base 10.Different realms exist simultaneously.
    Out of the subjective base 12 reality emerges the base 10 objective reality.

As the base 10 scientists discredit the base 12 reality (imagination, dreams, etc) to prove themselves right, they are compromising the integrity of Wholeness.

We are TRULY reconciling opposites at this time.

I have to say that looking at math and consciousness together is activating some remembrance. I often contemplate and use sacred geometry consciousness.
    If I ever get enough people on board who can understand it enough to use its power, I intend to create a consciousness plan I wrote up several years ago.
    Group mind power. We don't use it enough. Why?

Thanks to all for sharing.

Blessings of peace and happiness,
    Michelle Marie
    Not watched the video, but to reconcile base 10 and base 12, try the Sumerian base 60

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

31. Link to Post #36
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,006 times in 700 posts

Puzzle me this... according to Ed Leedskalnin THE SECRET TO THE UNIVERSE IS 7129 / 6105195.

<just bookmarking an interesting thread >

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Hatter For This Post:

AwakeInADream (19th October 2012)

33. Link to Post #37
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mad Hatter (here)
    Puzzle me this... according to Ed Leedskalnin THE SECRET TO THE UNIVERSE IS 7129 / 6105195.

<just bookmarking an interesting thread >
    I doubt it somehow. The 'Niniveh constant' is probably a much more interesting number: 70 times 60 to the power six. This works out as 1955200000 which, according to Maurice Chatelain, corresponds to the time in seconds for the entire solar system to revert to a previous configuration! It comes to about 6.2 million years, and, for example, Comet Halley will complete exactly 81,000 orbits in that time. All the other known planetary orbits are multiples of this number. And it appeared on a Sumerian talbet from 6,000 years ago...

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

AwakeInADream (19th October 2012), Mad Hatter (20th October 2012)

35. Link to Post #38
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,625 times in 21,528 posts

I doubt it somehow. The 'Niniveh constant' is probably a much more interesting number: 70 times 60 to the power six. This works out as 1955200000 which, according to Maurice Chatelain, corresponds to the time in seconds for the entire solar system to revert to a previous configuration! It comes to about 6.2 million years, and, ...
    Those numbers aren't adding up for me.

1955200000 seconds is about 62 years, not 62 million years.

70 times (60 to the power of 6) is 3265920000000, which is not equal 1955200000, but rather about 1670 times larger.

3265920000000 seconds is about 100,000 years.

So ... searching around Google, according to CHAPTER 18: THE NINEVEH CONSTANT: CELESTIAL HARMONICS (Divine Cosmos, David Wilcock):
    • It's spelled the Nineveh Constant, not the Niniveh Constant.
    • It's 70 times (60 to the power of 7), not 70 times (60 to the power of 6)
    • It's 195,955,200,000, not 1,955,200,000
    It is about 6.2 million years.

Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 19th October 2012 at 21:22.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

AwakeInADream (19th October 2012), Mad Hatter (20th October 2012)

37. Link to Post #39
    Thanks

Quote Re: Wavelength !!
    Quote Posted by AwakeInADream
    Is Hertz and Wavelength the same thing by a different name?
    Posted by Paul

No - not the same.

Imagine yourself at the sea shore, with the waves coming in.

Stand where the waves lap up on the sand. Close your eyes and notice how rapidly (how many times per minute) the waves wash over your feet. That's frequency, which for sound waves is usually measured in waves per second (aka Hertz) not waves per minute, just because the waves of compression and decompression in air that we know as sound come faster.

Now take a major aircraft carrier (or other long ship) out into that water, and look along the side of the ship at the water line. You will perhaps see more than one wave top, and one wave bottom, all visible at once, along the length of the ship. Measure the distance from one wave top to the next; that's the wave length, which might be measured in feet or meters or whatever unit of length is familiar and of an appropriate magnitude.

The above is fairly straight forward, in my view at least.

Here's the weirder part. If you know the velocity at which that wave travels (the speed of light, the speed of sound, or the speed of waves across the ocean, say) then there is a well known relation between these properties:

where:
    v = the velocity,
    f = the frequency, and
    = (the Greek letter lambda) wave length.
    I usually read the above equation as "vee equals eff lambda". It says that the velocity is equal to the frequency times the wave length.

Since most waves of a given kind in a given medium have fairly constant velocity (v), this means that higher frequencies (f) have proportionally shorter wavelengths ().
    The above is from Paul's answer on the Wavelength thread.

Hi Paul! Thank's for your answer!

I think I understand it. I've brought your answer over to this thread because I don't want to go too far off topic over there, also I'd like a little clarification of how to use the formula practically.

Can you give me an example of the formula's usage(to find wavelength), using say 432Hz so that I will understand it better?

I assume that V in the case of sound, would be the speed of sound, but I don't know what units of measurement to use in the calculation.

Oh! And a funny thought came into my head as I re-read your post. It starts off rather like a guided visualization CD for relaxation, only it also teaches you maths. It made me giggle...

Cheers! AwakeInADream.

P.S Thank's Michelle(The Blues, Maths and Londoners a surreal mix) and Violet(Pi and the alphabet-equally surreal) for the videos, I have downloaded them and will watch them soon. They look really good.

EDIT: I've just realized that Operator gave an example that answered this question on the Wavelength thread. I didn't understand it though so I still need some clarification.
    Last edited by AwakeInADream; 20th October 2012 at 01:37.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to AwakeInADream For This Post:

Mad Hatter (20th October 2012)

39. Link to Post #40
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,625 times in 21,528 posts

Can you give me an example of the formula's usage(to find wavelength), using say 432Hz so that I will understand it better?

I assume that V in the case of sound, would be the speed of sound, but I don't know what units of measurement to use in the calculation.
    Which units of measurement to use probably depends on where you live .

If you're in the USA or England, you probably prefer feet. If you're in many other places, you probably prefer meters.

I'd avoid working with the speed of sound in miles per hour in these situations, because we usually think of the frequency of sound in cycles per second (Hz), not in cycles per hour. You want to have the time unit (seconds) used in your frequency numbers match the time unit used in your speed of sound numbers (meters or feet per second.)

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound:
    In dry air at 20 °C (68 °F), the speed of sound is 343.2 metres per second (1,126 ft/s).
    So, dealing in feet per second, if you're in "dry air at 68 °F", where sound travels at 1126 feet per second, then a sound at 432 Hz will have a wave length (lambda) of f/v == 1126/432 == 2.6 feet.

These wavelengths matter in such things as designing organs. A typical closed end organ pipe will be 1/4 of the wave length of the sound it produces. So an organ pipe for 432 Hz would need to be 2.6/4 == 0.65 feet long. For a note an octave lower, 432/2 == 216 Hz, the pipe would have to be twice as long, or 1.3 feet long. (I'm no organ designer, so the above calculation might not be all that useful in "real organ design.")

Each octave you go up or down doubles or halves the frequency, so halves or doubles the length. Lower frequencies require longer lengths.

The speed of sound in air varies with temperature, air pressure and humidity, which is part of why wind instruments need to be tuned when playing them, if you want them to have the intended frequency, or to play in harmony with each other.

From http://wiki.answers.com/Q/The_lowest...his_frequency:
    Some organs, such as the Atlantic City Auditorium organ, USA and Liverpool Cathedral Organ in the UK have 64-foot ranks giving the lowest note as 8.2 Hz.
    Here's a link to a picture of the seriously big Grand Organ in Sydney’s Town Hall, Australia: http://www.australiaimg.com/wp-conte...rand-organ.jpg
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

AwakeInADream (20th October 2012), Limor Wolf (3rd November 2012), Mad Hatter (20th October 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast