+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The untold story in Argo - Iran's hostage 1980 - scoop

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,683 times in 8,856 posts

Default The untold story in Argo - Iran's hostage 1980 - scoop

This is the first time this story is told publicly. You have a scoop here.

Bare with me, this will take many posts. Also, i may not have posted in the right place, if so, do not hesitate to change the place of the post.

An untold story – Iran’ hostages, 1980

I went to see the movie Argo last week. I truly enjoyed but there was an untold story about the American hostages I am aware of that is not in the movie.

First the movie: it starts with what was happening and the reasons for which the Iranians were revolting against the USA and mostly why they did change the US imposed corrupted regime to an fundamentalist Muslim one. Which is good, I was not expecting the truth in an American movie targeting a large public.

In the fifties/sixties and seventies, the Shah of Iran, who’s US sponsored regime was soooo corrupted and bloody , was thrown out and Khomenei returned from France to install the religious regime. By doing so, they threw out the US firms and nationalized all the petroleum industries (which is still nationalized and which explain why Israel and US want to put their hand on that country).

The anger at the American was at is paroxysm when US gave asylum to the Shah of Iran who had cancer. The Americans did not want to return him to Iran for court andjustice despite demands from Iran and its people. The Shah had escaped with planes loads of gold over and above what he had in banks outside Iran.

With this refusal, the Iranian people surrounded the American embassy and kidnapped the American hostages. However, six of them escaped and got hidden by the Canadian Ambassador in his residence. Iranian at first did not know six were missing until they glued the shredded papers of the American embassy (which took a year) and got the picture of the personnel, seeing that 6 were missing.

Meanwhile, the CIA planned a rescue of the American in the Canadian embassy by creating a fake story of making a Canadian movie in Iran and having 6 Canadian movie makers visit Iran. It allowed the American to forged Canadian passports (or the Canadians to give passport which is the truth) with pictures and everything. Only the remaining part left was the signatures had to be made on site in Iran.

So everybody could escape, the CIA agent that got them out had a medal in late 90's, the Canadian ambassador too, and everybody was saved as the story goes.

BUT HERE IS THE GLITCH

All the American were saved, but few Iranians paid with their lives for saving them and two Canadian women paid dearly as well. They had no medals, no recognition, no nothing. The entire world ignored them. In fact, nobody knows their story.

I do I know this?

In the 80’s, I worked for a while as a placement agent for administrative personnel. One of the two Canadian came to see me to get a job. When I tested her and ask for her background, she explained that she had been a translator at the Canadian embassy in Iran, she was back in Canada since a few years and was now looking for a job.

We kind of liked chatting together and I befriended her and we went for dinner and coffee a few times.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

What she told me was interesting at first, until I understood all the horror of what she went through. Of course, she was forbidden talking about this, but she did nevertheless, the heart, brain and body damages were too intense to keep for herself.

She told me about being an interpreter for Khomenei and a French reporter while a little bit of skin showed up on her hand. She was scolded by Khomenei for being a bad women. She was always scare when translating for him.

She told how it was difficult in the street because she did not walk like an Iranian women and would be recognized as a foreigner despite the garnments or robes women were wearing and would often be harassed by the street police. She also told me about what was happening when the Shah of Iran was there, how the basic culture was, what Hamam were used for, etc.

She told me she had been married for about 10 years to an Iranian and was living with her husband and her two adopted children that she had found in the streets of Teheran and raised. She had two passports, one Iranian through her marriage, and one Canadian through her birth.

Her husband had been put in jail when the regime changed because he had worked for the Shah administration or something similar, but was supposed to be released, which never happened after her ordeal.

Then, as the hostage crisis was unfolding, she was asked by the Canadian ambassador to be an interpreter a few more times and then she was asked a very special service. The passports for the Americans hiding in the Canadian embassy had arrived and there were a problem with the passport of the two women, if I remember, with their picture or something like this.

So the two American woman had no passport to get out with the CIA agent. She, and another Canadian women translator also married to an Iranian, were both asked to give their Canadian passports which would be trafficked to put the picture of the American women.

They had been both told that they could most probably get out of Iran with their Iranian passport. She was not convinced because her husband who was in prison could not give his permission to his wife to get out. Also, the children could not get out, their father being in jail and not able to apply for their passport.

However, the Canadian Embassy convinced both women to give their passport, she put her children in one of her husband's family member, knowing that the children would not be well kept and treated, but nevertheless she did not want the American women to lose their life. The Canadian Embassy organized 2 buses full of Iranian women to cross to Jordan, and in it, were the two Canadian women that had given their Canadian passport to the American women, hidden in their robe to be as Iranian women, and there they went.

At the Jordanian border, the Iranian guards taking everybody's passport and examining the women’s eyes and walking gait realized the she was not Iranian and took her aside for gang rape. Meanwhile the Iranian women in the bus were screaming “she is Muslim, do not touch her” but nothing would stop them.

She told me she was raped through every orifice of her body, beaten almost to death and then thrown the other side of the gate for Jordanians to pick her up. She was sent in an hospital for over one month in Germany where she had multiple surgeries to repair the damages. The same thing happened to the other Canadian translator who had given her passport.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

My acquaintance came back in Canada afterward and was never the same. When I met her, she told me her husband had been killed, for treason because of her, she was not sure where her children were and was trying to find them and get them out.

She had been helped by the Canadian government for reinsertion in the society, but now was on her own to pay for her own living and was not feeling that strong and stable.

She told me that her collegue, the other translator who had given her passport, had been institutionalized in a psychiatric hospital upon her arrival in Canada and was still there years later, she never recovered from this.

If I remember well, she also told me that the little maid serving at the Canadian embassy had been killed for treason, because she did not give up the American even if she was aware of what was going on.

These 3 women, their children and husbands are the real heroes of this story, yet, they were never recognized for it. I personally think they should, and I think the American people should know about this story

(I am not even sure the 2 American women that were saved by the two Canadian women know about this).

Please go see the film, it is a good film and basically true even if these elements above were missing.

Thanks for reading

Flash
    Last edited by Flash; 2nd November 2012 at 00:28.

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

161803398 (2nd November 2012), 1inMany (1st November 2012), araucaria (3rd November 2012), bram (3rd November 2012), Cidersomerset (2nd November 2012), crosby (1st November 2012), East Sun (3rd November 2012), Ellisa (2nd November 2012), fractal being (1st November 2012), GCS1103 (1st November 2012), gigha (1st November 2012), hardrock (2nd November 2012), Hervé (2nd November 2012), meeradas (26th February 2013), Mike (1st November 2012), mosquito (4th November 2012), Muzz (1st November 2012), NancyV (3rd November 2012), Paul (1st November 2012), PurpleLama (1st November 2012), ROMANWKT (2nd November 2012), sandy (2nd November 2012), seko (1st November 2012), ulli (1st November 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 128,856 times in 20,633 posts

Default Re: The untold story in Argo - Iran's hostage 1980 - scoop

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    Thanks for reading
    Thanks for writing.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Paul For This Post:

1inMany (1st November 2012), crosby (2nd November 2012), Flash (1st November 2012), gigha (1st November 2012), Hervé (2nd November 2012), meeradas (26th February 2013), PurpleLama (1st November 2012), ROMANWKT (2nd November 2012), ulli (1st November 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,660 times in 2,647 posts

Flash, this is an extraordinary story. i thank you from the bottom of my heart for posting this. it shows that even back then, deals were made, even bad ones, and no one was ever the wiser. the courage that these women showed and what they have gone through is true heroism at its most definitive core. this story, the truth, will never be told for the usual public consumption. it is a part of history that was forgotten before it happened. i thank you for posting this.
    warmest regards, corson

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to crosby For This Post:

Flash (1st November 2012), gigha (1st November 2012), mosquito (4th November 2012), PurpleLama (2nd November 2012), ROMANWKT (2nd November 2012), sandy (2nd November 2012), ulli (1st November 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Paul or other responsible lovely ones, Ijust noticed there is a mistake in the title, can you change it for Untold instead of unold.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

ROMANWKT (2nd November 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 128,856 times in 20,633 posts

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    Paul or other responsible lovely ones, I just noticed there is a mistake in the title, can you change it for Untold instead of unold.
    Fixed

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul For This Post:

crosby (2nd November 2012), Flash (2nd November 2012), PurpleLama (2nd November 2012), ROMANWKT (2nd November 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

I am bumping this

for your reading, a story that won't change the world, but a story of true heroism that often goes unnoticed, un recognized

For those who have not read it yet, for the only pleasure of knowing about true human spirit

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

ROMANWKT (2nd November 2012)

+ Reply to Thread