+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mystical sign, old odd ring - reminds me on a glyph seen before, please help!

1. Link to Post #1
    Germany Avalon Member justalight's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Mystical sign, old odd ring - reminds me on a glyph seen before, please help!

Dear Avalonians,
    first of all I really would like to express how thankful I am to have found my way to the forum and even more thankful for the profound knowledge and kindness offered by you all. Hope I can support you even more with my limited knowledge in the future.

Got an old ring as a gift (seems to be from the 20ies and manufactured in GB). The friend who gave it to me said he bought it at an antiques store and the person there had no idea what ever it should mean. There is a very strange sign in the middle that looks a sword with a pyramid on top with an allseeing eye crossed by a line??? It really remind me of something I have allready seen before but just cannot recall.

Asked someone who is familiar with college rings, he collects them actually, he said it is definitely not a college ring, he thinks it is some kind of OTO / Crowley sign style. Maybe itīs quite an ordinary item. Maybe not.

Shouldnīt it state liber al vel legis ? I just see L A V in one and LAV in the other direction. An interpretation of the "V" as L in both directions would make it: liber al (vel) legis ???? Can not solve it allone, really want to know what I wear on my finger ;-)

Hope you can help me, every hint is deeply appreciated. Sorry for my English ... try to post a photograph, thank you in advance for your support

Name:  LAVL.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  114.2 KB

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to justalight For This Post:

Caren (3rd November 2012), Eram (3rd November 2012), InTheBackground (6th November 2012), Krullenjongen (3rd November 2012), Lancelot (3rd November 2012), shadowstalker (3rd November 2012), Star Tsar (3rd November 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,808 times in 2,892 posts

Default Re: Mystical sign, old odd ring - reminds me on a glyph seen before, please help!

It reminds me of rune Stone letters, I have to check my book if i can find it..
    Namaste-Matte

MY LATEST BOOK: "INTRUDERS UPON THE REALM"
    JOIN ME IN MY NEW ONGOING PROJECT
    My Bitchute
    My Music
    My Books
    Project: Shadowstalker

Once you get past the fear of darkness, you can find the things hidden in the shadows..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowstalker For This Post:

justalight (3rd November 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,951 times in 812 posts

Default Re: Mystical sign, old odd ring - reminds me on a glyph seen before, please help!

Could it be a class ring?
    http://www2.ulaval.ca/accueil.html

Or a family crest of some type? As it turns out the name Laval is french.
    Why not now?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nomadguy For This Post:

justalight (3rd November 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,020 times in 2,189 posts

Not sure if you tried the symbol encyclopedia but it might offer some help
    http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/40/403.html

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Eram (3rd November 2012), justalight (3rd November 2012), Star Tsar (3rd November 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    Netherlands Avalon Member Krullenjongen's Avatar
    Thanks

Humm very interesting.
    I tried to find this symbol but sadly came up empty.
    It has the same "feel" as an alchemy symbol.
    Could it be a "constucted" symbol that combines a few simpler symbols?
    I quickly looked through a alchemy website to look for it but could not find it but i did not closely look at them all, there are just so many.
    If you want you can see if you can find it there or maybe find individual simpler sybols like only the "upside down sword", the triangle or the circle with the line through it.
    Look here:
    http://www.alchemywebsite.com/images_graphic.html

I did find out that the meaning of "LAVAL" in old english means "LORD"

If you find anything please post it here, i am also curious what it would mean.

=update=

If it is true what your friend says, that it could be connected to Crowley somehow i would not be surprised if it is some kind of Sigil
    Sigils are used in Magic(k)

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigil_%28magic%29
    Last edited by Krullenjongen; 3rd November 2012 at 10:59. Reason: Added information

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krullenjongen For This Post:

Eram (3rd November 2012), justalight (3rd November 2012), Star Tsar (3rd November 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,798 times in 666 posts

Just wondering if it has any connection to French influenced Lebanon ?

Name:  Flag_of_Lebanon.svg.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  15.4 KB
    Sapere aude

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taurean For This Post:

Eram (3rd November 2012), justalight (3rd November 2012)

13. Link to Post #7
    Netherlands Avalon Member GaelVictor's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,536 times in 316 posts

The Laval family, originated in Sweden, now in Switzerland. Tetra pack ring a bell? It's owned by this family; http://www.tetralaval.com/Pages/default.aspx .notice the triangle with the double arms coming out of a circle in their Bildmark.
    The ring is in greek style, the tree on a slope representing Sweden and the family roots burried underneath next to it in blue. Together with the name in the alchemical sign of water.
    The figure in the middle represents Scorpio with the symbol of fire.
    "Dodecahedron; 12 faces 20 points 30 edges 6480 degrees"

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GaelVictor For This Post:

butcherman (4th November 2012), Eram (3rd November 2012), justalight (3rd November 2012), nomadguy (4th November 2012)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

@rgray222 - the symbol database is great, never knew something like that existed in the net. @Krullenjongen - I stdied lot of alchemistic texts in the past maybe this is why it reminds me, but the sigil style sing seems to be constructed from more than one sign, you might be right.

So to give the whole composition a structure, I will try to have a look at it from the outside to the inside:

1. the overall shape looks like a triangle / pyramid turned upside down - meaning of woman or female power, but when you have a further look on the outside shape it seems there are two horn like hills on top. If I just see the outline it reminds me of an old sketch of baphomets head - the triangle shape with the two horns on top

now lets work the way to the center where the most mysterios sign is

2. On top inside of the outline there is a kind of plate, table, book, stoneplate, box on the left and a tree like a christmas tree obvious standing on a hill because the green ground is somehow not plain - colours used are green and white, each of these two signs are "framed" by their outlines which look like little houses?

3. at the edge of the big red field there are the letters LAVAL or is it LAV (V cut to a half)? reminds me of both sides like a mirror picture.

4. If you look closely in the center there is the mysterious sign but it is framed also by a triangle turned upside down. You can see the line if you look closely, so this gives the sign a certain importance I think. within the sign the style of the T part of it with its style reminds me of a Thelema T or a sword that splits the pyramid into two symetric parts. What is funny with it, the circle on top of the pyramid is also split into two symetric parts but from left to right. The pyramid is split intwo two parts from up to down.

5. What I think to know is, that is is no family crest, as I am familiar with european family crests and if my friend is right it is no college, class or miltary ring

6. What I feel is, that it is somehow also connected to Babylon , maybe because of the tree and the supposed stone plate, but it is just a feeling, I do not find any tree this style in conjunction with Babylon, but as Taurean stated, with the Libanon. The former Babylonian area is somehow in Irak today I think.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justalight For This Post:

Eram (3rd November 2012), Krullenjongen (5th November 2012), rgray222 (3rd November 2012)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

@ Hatemachines - Thank you so much, yes all this trade marks arround all of us ..... however I think it was the Rausing familily and Hans Rausing who found tetra pak. Long ago I saw a picture of Hans Rausing dated 1963 with a tetra pak. I was amazed because I newer throught this plastic packaging I really personally donīt like existed allready in 1963....

Here is the picture
    Last edited by justalight; 3rd November 2012 at 14:58.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to justalight For This Post:

Eram (3rd November 2012)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,987 times in 1,125 posts

Perhaps one of Pierre Laval's possessions auctioned in 1944?

Wiki info on Pierre Laval found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Laval

Still digging for more info and possible pictures...

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Belle For This Post:

Eram (3rd November 2012), justalight (3rd November 2012)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Interesting ring and interesting symbolism. The symbol on the red triangle is absolutely alchemical. I believe it could symbolize the alchemical trinity or the "tria prima", which is made up of sulphur, salt and mercury. The sign seems to be a combination of variations of the symbols for these three elements:

The elements has symbolistic meanings:
    - sulphur symbolizes the Father but also the soul
    - salt symbolizes the Son but also the body
    - mercury symbolizes the Holy Spirit but also the human spirit

It can also be depicted thus and is of course classic esoterica:

It is harder to figure out the heraldic meaning and the letters L A V...
    What is the symbol next to the tree supposed to resemble? A square or a cube?
    Do you have a signature inside the ring which says GB? I have also searched so many sites for an abbrevation for a society but found nothing.

Edit: Were you perhaps thinking of John Deeīs Monas Hieroglyphica:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monas_Hieroglyphica

Very fascinating question - I will continue searching...
    Last edited by Aurvandil; 3rd November 2012 at 18:48.
    "All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again."
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aurvandil For This Post:

justalight (3rd November 2012), Krullenjongen (5th November 2012)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,316 times in 10,234 posts

Some quick ruminations:

The arrow pointing down is also potentially the masculine component, that is mars anchored. Ie, the sharp end of the stick.

The other (upward pointing triangle) would probably never bother to make something as hierarchical (patriarchal) oriented as a sigil ring. Duality and mirror/bi-directionality, as above, so below and so on... exposed in the name itself, As laval is always laval.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

InTheBackground (6th November 2012), justalight (3rd November 2012), Krullenjongen (5th November 2012)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Wow, its a great feeling digging together! What superb coments an suggestions! I tried to get a photograph from the marks inside, but by camera wonīt focus good enough.

I can see three marks inside and a red dot on the reverse of the seal plate. I think it is possible that it belonged to Pierre Laval, the era is also correct. The marks inside show a mark that looks like a craftsman sign looks like E or F with some form arround the letter, but it can also be a half moon with a glyph pointing at the half moon, hard to say, then there it says sterling and under the silver mark there is a rune style sign looking like a mixture between a 4 and a lightening bolt.

The seal plate itself is very detailed an beautyful crafted with different colours of enamel as you can see.

Can`t wait to find out more!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to justalight For This Post:

Aurvandil (4th November 2012)

27. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,020 times in 2,189 posts

Tried to crop & enlarge the photo, this may help!

Last edited by rgray222; 3rd November 2012 at 21:03.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

DeDukshyn (3rd November 2012), justalight (3rd November 2012)

29. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Here's with some extra processing ... Click for larger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	magic-1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	19080
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Aurvandil (4th November 2012), justalight (3rd November 2012)

31. Link to Post #16
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,308 times in 7,756 posts

the image at the top is Saturn, and the Spear pointed at it does have meaning, I just forget where I've seen it before

came up in the Holy Grail...

connected with the moon as the Spear is to Saturn...

the silver knives must continually renew in the human being what Saturn Spear destroys...

Saturn is connected with heat and cold...

link

Laval is the city of a famous explorer
    Last edited by Rocky_Shorz; 4th November 2012 at 21:08.

+ Reply to Thread