+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 77 1 11 51 77 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama 2012

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,557 times in 5,028 posts

Default Barack Obama 2012

Obama Stops SOPA - Breaking News: Jan. 15th 2012. We have won the fight against SOPA! Thank you for all the hard work my brothers and sisters of the internet! See? You can do anything if you put your mind to it! SOPA is over! Celebrate your success! Good work america + internet. Please REPOST and MIRROR This video. Here is the link to this story: http://news360.com/#article/39466053...ategory=1&dumm...

When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

albativo (16th January 2012), aranuk (15th January 2012), bodhii71 (15th January 2012), Calz (15th January 2012), Carmen (16th January 2012), CdnSirian (15th January 2012), ceetee9 (16th January 2012), Cidersomerset (15th January 2012), DNA (16th January 2012), Eric J (Viking) (15th January 2012), fifi (16th January 2012), Franny (17th January 2012), G.A (16th January 2012), kersley (17th January 2012), Kimberley (15th January 2012), Lifebringer (21st January 2012), Lisab (15th January 2012), Mad Hatter (17th January 2012), Maia Gabrial (16th January 2012), panopticon (16th January 2012), Rocky_Shorz (17th January 2012), seko (15th January 2012), spiritguide (15th January 2012), THIRDEYE (15th January 2012), Watching from Cyprus (16th January 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

Default Re: Breaking News. OBAMA Stops SOPA

SOPA shelved until 'consensus' is found

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-va...ensus-is-found

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

I had a feeling it wouldn't come to pass, there would be uproar surely?
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream by night

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueGem For This Post:

CdnSirian (15th January 2012), Lisab (15th January 2012)

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,733 times in 2,089 posts

Seems our president is backing away from a whole bunch of ideas ( re-election moves) Now he's declaring we go to a smaller leaner government after expanding/ borrowing (oh it doesn't matter anyways) 6.2 trillion (lol) dollars more than all the presidents combined since george washington. Money isn't real anymore, the only false value anymore is what politicians define as value . Bond markets , credit default swaps ect. Like a merry go round. Maybe publicly the statement is no monitoring but ................................. just live your life and watch the sideshow from the side. It's going to be a very interesting chess match in the future .

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pyrangello For This Post:

CdnSirian (15th January 2012), ceetee9 (16th January 2012), Jeffrey (16th January 2012)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,673 times in 499 posts

Through the grapevine, allegedly it was the pressure of the Glider community that is behind this & not people power. The community (hackers/coders) have been fighting this all the way via the law system & putting in place measures via various devices to counteract any attempts made by [whomever] to take control & police the Internet. Sir Tim Berners-Lee the daddy of the www warned [whomever] around 2008 that the Internet is set up in such a way that any attempts by [whomever] to put censorship restrictions in place would be short lived. The likes of Richard Stallman (rms) & Michael L. Love are just another two high profile hackers/coders have been fighting this.
    Inscription on The Washington Monument -

Fy iaith, fy ngwlad, fy nghenedl Cymru — Cymru am byth (My language, my land, my nation of Wales — Wales for ever)...

Dweud y gwir - Tell the truth

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bryn ap Gwilym For This Post:

CdnSirian (15th January 2012), ceetee9 (16th January 2012), Curt (16th January 2012), jackovesk (15th January 2012), Mad Hatter (17th January 2012), panopticon (16th January 2012), seko (15th January 2012), Snowbird (15th January 2012)

10. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member spiritguide's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,730 times in 1,479 posts

Obama said approximately the same thing about NDAA and then signed it into law. We will see where he goes with it if the congress and senate pass it. The show is not over until the fat lady sings. IMHO

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to spiritguide For This Post:

CdnSirian (15th January 2012), ceetee9 (16th January 2012), Curt (16th January 2012), jeanluck (16th January 2012), jjjones (17th January 2012), Kerrigan (18th January 2012), mojo (16th January 2012), panopticon (16th January 2012), Referee (17th January 2012), selinam (15th January 2012), write4change (19th January 2012)

12. Link to Post #7
    Deactivated
    Thanks

His only true agenda beyond making it work for everybody was the institution of universal health care. As the only western civilized nation in the world without it and any and all statistics regarding quality of care indicating failure in the U.S., why would anybody fight it?

Quote Posted by pyrangello (here)
    Seems our president is backing away from a whole bunch of ideas ( re-election moves) Now he's declaring we go to a smaller leaner government after expanding/ borrowing (oh it doesn't matter anyways) 6.2 trillion (lol) dollars more than all the presidents combined since george washington. Money isn't real anymore, the only false value anymore is what politicians define as value . Bond markets , credit default swaps ect. Like a merry go round. Maybe publicly the statement is no monitoring but ................................. just live your life and watch the sideshow from the side. It's going to be a very interesting chess match in the future .

13. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Quote Posted by alienHunter (here)
    His only true agenda beyond making it work for everybody was the institution of universal health care. As the only western civilized nation in the world without it and any and all statistics regarding quality of care indicating failure in the U.S., why would anybody fight it?
    Hi alienHunter,

I can't tell for sure if you're being sarcastic or sincere, but it appears sincere so allow me to say (though this is off-topic to SOPA) The healthcare legislation that passed in the US was strong legislation protecting medical insurance companies and big pharma - not "universal health care" legislation. Calling it universal health care legislation is true Orwellian doublespeak.

This is not just my opinion, or that of casual bloggers, or someone with an ax to grind against Obama. I personally communicated with 2 of the principle activist/organizers behind Mad As Hell Doctors, and although I did not read the entire Act (I don't know *anyone* that read the whole 1928 pages and would bet big money not one single Congressperson read the whole thing) I did read a synopsis and did research it. This was a huge, stinky pile of collusion, written by medical insurance lobbyists, and was celebrated as a great victory by medical insurers - not a bill protecting citizen heathcare rights. For those who skimmed the surface or listened to mainstream media*, it appeared that Obama and the Dems were champions of the people who were fighting a battle against republicans.

I can't think of any way to gracefully segue back to SOPA from this tangent. Perhaps we can say, the thought of SOPA passing made us sick, and we feel a little better now, after reading the White House statement (and we await the final verse from the fat lady.)

Dennis

*note that in David Wilcock's 3rd installment of the big financial swindle and the web of collusion, he notes that mainstream media corporations invested heavily in (or "cross-invested" might be a better term - they are in bed together) big pharma and the big medical insurance cabal. So, no wonder they were willing and able disinfo agents.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

CdnSirian (15th January 2012), Jeffrey (16th January 2012), jjjones (17th January 2012), Khaleesi (15th January 2012), panopticon (16th January 2012), spiritguide (16th January 2012), sunflower (19th January 2012), write4change (19th January 2012)

15. Link to Post #9
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bryn ap Gwilym (here)
    Through the grapevine, allegedly it was the pressure of the Glider community that is behind this & not people power. The community (hackers/coders) have been fighting this all the way via the law system & putting in place measures via various devices to counteract any attempts made by [whomever] to take control & police the Internet. Sir Tim Berners-Lee the daddy of the www warned [whomever] around 2008 that the Internet is set up in such a way that any attempts by [whomever] to put censorship restrictions in place would be short lived. The likes of Richard Stallman (rms) & Michael L. Love are just another two high profile hackers/coders have been fighting this.
    This sounds more like the 'Truth' to me...

16. Link to Post #10
    Australia Avalon Member panopticon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,008 times in 2,305 posts

G'day All,

The article link in the OP is not working.
    Here is the original Reuters article.
    Interesting site that has more information:
    https://www.eff.org

The legislation in question:
    http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/...0HR%203261.pdf

For those who might like a bit of background in this mongrel legislation I started a thread at the end of October that mentioned ACTA, IP-Protect (renamed the 'E-PARASITE Act'), SOPA, TRIPS and the TPP Agreement but (not surprisingly) it received little interest.

I don't read that the Reuter's article is saying that SOPA will not be enacted.
    It seems more like a "testing of the waters" by the various interest groups and the US Government to see if there was much interest in the "public domain" regards these issues.
    It is important to note that it was posted on some White House Officials blogs, not as official policy.
    The legislation is still there, it hasn't been cancelled.
    Obama has not stopped anything. His officials are using blog posts as a litmus test, that's all.

I agree with Bryn ap Gwilym that many people are fighting this and are concerned at its direction.

In my opinion censorship must always be fought against.
    Kind Regards,
    Panopticon
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.
    The only consequence is what we do."

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

Anchor (17th January 2012), Bryn ap Gwilym (16th January 2012), ceetee9 (16th January 2012), Mad Hatter (17th January 2012), spiritguide (16th January 2012), wolf_rt (16th January 2012), write4change (19th January 2012)

18. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,673 times in 499 posts

panopticon Hi

I agree. I have just had a message off Michael L. Love (founder of GNU-Darwin) saying
    Quote Yes, but the blackout is still on. Fight #PIPA! - #OpBlackout
    Inscription on The Washington Monument -

Fy iaith, fy ngwlad, fy nghenedl Cymru — Cymru am byth (My language, my land, my nation of Wales — Wales for ever)...

Dweud y gwir - Tell the truth

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bryn ap Gwilym For This Post:

Mad Hatter (17th January 2012), panopticon (16th January 2012)

20. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,150 times in 3,856 posts

Huh, imagine that. He must have realized he'd better do something right before the elections...I trust NOTHING coming out of his mouth. We'll have to see how it really affects us. Really....

21. Link to Post #13
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Hi Dennis,

yes, you are correct but I can assure you that was not Obama's intent...it would have been pointless. Therein lies the real view of politics and how they are played in the big leagues. It's obviously not a game for the fainthearted.

Incidentally, I did read the whole bill and most of what 'we' heard regarding it was complete fabrication...Again, perpetrated by 'conservative' interests and most of the sheeples bought it.

adding, there was more than one bill and versions, I read the final House and Senate versions. The house version was only a fraction of the senate's size.

And the battle rages on...
    Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    Quote Posted by alienHunter (here)
    Hi alienHunter,

I can't tell for sure if you're being sarcastic or sincere, but it appears sincere so allow me to say (though this is off-topic to SOPA) The healthcare legislation that passed in the US was strong legislation protecting medical insurance companies and big pharma - not "universal health care" legislation. Calling it universal health care legislation is true Orwellian doublespeak.

This is not just my opinion, or that of casual bloggers, or someone with an ax to grind against Obama. I personally communicated with 2 of the principle activist/organizers behind Mad As Hell Doctors, and although I did not read the entire Act (I don't know *anyone* that read the whole 1928 pages and would bet big money not one single Congressperson read the whole thing) I did read a synopsis and did research it. This was a huge, stinky pile of collusion, written by medical insurance lobbyists, and was celebrated as a great victory by medical insurers - not a bill protecting citizen heathcare rights. For those who skimmed the surface or listened to mainstream media*, it appeared that Obama and the Dems were champions of the people who were fighting a battle against republicans.

I can't think of any way to gracefully segue back to SOPA from this tangent. Perhaps we can say, the thought of SOPA passing made us sick, and we feel a little better now, after reading the White House statement (and we await the final verse from the fat lady.)

Dennis

*note that in David Wilcock's 3rd installment of the big financial swindle and the web of collusion, he notes that mainstream media corporations invested heavily in (or "cross-invested" might be a better term - they are in bed together) big pharma and the big medical insurance cabal. So, no wonder they were willing and able disinfo agents.
    Last edited by alienHunter; 16th January 2012 at 18:55.

22. Link to Post #14
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

And Rupert Murdock loses his cool over it. Funny.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/01...tter-rant.html

Quote Rupert Murdoch exploded last night after news that the Obama White House was coming out against two online anti-piracy bills near and dear to the hearts and financial interests of major media companies like News Corp. "Obama has thrown in his lot with Silicon Valley paymasters who threaten all software creators with piracy," Murdoch declared. The White House's top technology officers sort of agree with Rupert, saying that "online piracy is a real problem that harms the American economy, threatens jobs for significant numbers of middle class workers and hurts some of our nation's most creative and innovative companies and entrepreneurs." But many opponents of SOPA and PIPA claim that the bills would limit the freedom of expression. Google and Twitter have even reminded lawmakers that the bills take the same approach used by the China and Iran to censor their citizens' Internet access. The White House agrees: Proposed laws must not tamper with the technical architecture of the Internet through manipulation of the Domain Name System (DNS), a foundation of Internet security. [...] We must avoid legislation that drives users to dangerous, unreliable DNS servers and puts next-generation security policies, such as the deployment of DNSSEC, at risk. Already, the House bill's two co-sponsors have agreed to withdraw the DNS-blocking provision from SOPA, while several of the Senate bill's sponsors have asked Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell to delay a floor vote scheduled in less than two weeks, citing the barrage of calls and e-mails they've been getting from "a large number of constituents and other stakeholders with vocal concerns about possible unintended consequences of the proposed legislation." But not all supporters of the bills are taking these setbacks lying down. After the White House came out against the legislation, Murdoch took to Twitter (his favorite new toy, it seems) yesterday with a series of exasperated messages. 5:54 p.m. ET: Piracy leader is Google who streams movies free, sells advts around them. No wonder pouring millions into lobbying. 5:57 p.m. ET: Film making risky as hell. This has to lead to less, hurting writers, actors, all concerned. 10:25 p.m. ET: Just been to google search for mission impossible. Wow, several sites offering free links. I rest my case. Then again, Twitter may not have been the most sensible outlet for such sentiments, considering on which side of this fight the site and likely many of its users find themselves. Among the public responses Murdoch received were several with choice phrases like "walking embodiment of the old world" and "three words: make better films" and "searching google turned up no such links for me ... "

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G.A For This Post:

alienHunter (16th January 2012), panopticon (17th January 2012), ViralSpiral (17th January 2012)

24. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 times in 472 posts

SOPA is dead idk if Obama should take credit for it, but its gone for now. FIGHT PIPA!
    The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.
    -- Maureen Dowd --

25. Link to Post #16
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Good news!

Fighting this crap does work... it would also be nice if we also lived in a society where piracy wasn't needed. I hope the defence against this doesn't rest on its laurels.

Great news!

Quote Posted by G.A (here)
    Rupert Murdoch exploded last night

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GK76 For This Post:

alienHunter (16th January 2012), panopticon (17th January 2012), ViralSpiral (17th January 2012)

27. Link to Post #17
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default CNN Admits Paul Now TIED With Obama, Romney Sliding..!

January 16th, 2012

CNN Poll: Obama tied with Romney & Paul in November showdowns

Washington (CNN) – Mitt Romney is all tied up with President Barack Obama in a likely general election matchup, with the president showing signs of weakness on the economy and Romney seen as out of touch with ordinary Americans, according to a new national survey.

And a CNN/ORC International Poll released Monday also indicates that Rep. Ron Paul of Texas is also even with Obama in another possible showdown this November. The survey also suggests the Republican advantage on voter enthusiasm is eroding, which could be crucial in a close contest.

See full results (pdf)
    http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/im.../16/rel1bb.pdf

According to the survey, if the November election were held today and Romney were the Republican presidential nominee, 48% say they'd vote for the former Massachusetts governor, with 47% supporting the president. Romney's one point margin is well within the poll's sampling error.

The poll also indicates Paul statistically tied with Obama, with the president at 48% and the longtime congressman at 46%. But according to the poll, the president is doing better against two other Republican presidential candidates. If Rick Santorum were the GOP nominee, Obama would hold a 51%-45% advantage over the former senator from Pennsylvania. And if Newt Gingrich faced off against the president, Obama would lead the former House speaker 52%-43%.

Enthusiasm in voting in the presidential election this November now stands at 54% among registered Republicans, down ten points from last October. Meanwhile, enthusiasm among registered Democrats has risen six points, and now stands at 49%.

"In a race that tight, turnout is likely to determine the outcome, and the Democrats have begun to close the 'enthusiasm gap' that damaged their prospects so badly in the 2010 midterms," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

While the Obama re-election campaign and the Democratic National Committee have all of the GOP White House hopefuls in their sights, they are directing most of their firepower towards Romney, and the poll indicates why that is the case.

According to the survey, both men are seen as strong leaders, and both are viewed as having the personal qualities that a president should have. Forty-eight percent of Americans say that Obama agrees with them on the issues they care about - not great, but better than the 43% who feel that way about Romney.

"But on the economy - issue number one to most Americans - Romney has a clear advantage. 53% say the former Massachusetts governor can get the economy moving; only 40% say that about President Barack Obama," says Holland. "But the numbers are reversed when voters are asked whether the candidates are in touch with ordinary Americans. Fifty-three percent say that Obama is in touch; only four in ten feel that way about Romney."

Obama and Romney are virtually tied on whether they are seen as strong and decisive leaders. The survey indicates that by a 61%-34% margin, Americans say Romney changes his position on the issues for political reasons. By a 56%-42% margin, the public feels the same way about the president.

The poll was conducted for CNN by ORC International from January 11-12, with 1,021 adult Americans, including 928 registered voters, conducted by telephone on January 11-12, 2012. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ber-showdowns/
    Last edited by jackovesk; 17th January 2012 at 03:50.

28. Link to Post #18
    Australia Avalon Member panopticon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,008 times in 2,305 posts

G'day All,

The English Wikipedia is protesting SOPA and PIPA with a 24 hour black out starting at '05:00 UTC on Wednesday, January 18' (Source).

Kind Regards,
    Panopticon
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.
    The only consequence is what we do."

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

Anchor (17th January 2012), Calz (17th January 2012), Mad Hatter (17th January 2012), ViralSpiral (17th January 2012)

30. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,079 times in 653 posts

Default Re: CNN Admits Paul Now TIED With Obama, Romney Sliding..!

I've listened to Obama, Romney and Paul. The first two don't impress me. Ron Paul is another story. The man has wisdom.

Paul needs to win.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sygh For This Post:

jackovesk (17th January 2012), Lost Soul (17th January 2012), Mike Gorman (17th January 2012)

32. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,613 times in 2,179 posts

Quote Posted by GK76 (here)
    Good news!

Fighting this crap does work... it would also be nice if we also lived in a society where piracy wasn't needed. I hope the defence against this doesn't rest on its laurels.

Great news!

Quote Posted by G.A (here)
    Rupert Murdoch exploded last night

"Piracy leader is Google who streams movies free, sells advts around them," Murdoch wrote. "No wonder pouring millions into lobbying." Another choice tweet: "Just been to google search for mission impossible. Wow, several sites offering free links. I rest my case." Google was not amused.

Yeah right.
    Follow the yellow brick road, Dorothy
    Rupert the Poo Bear and sexy Sergey are mates.
    Sergey is married to Anne Wojcicki, co-founder of 23and me, a DNA data collection bank - also known as "human genome project".
    Who was at the "spit party" launch?

Smells a bit like Ratatouille i.e. tha rats are a cookin' summat
    .... be gentle with your anger. Sixto Rodriguez, Cape Town 20.02.2013

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ViralSpiral For This Post:

Calz (17th January 2012), Mad Hatter (17th January 2012), panopticon (18th January 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 77 1 11 51 77 LastLast