+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Mass Extinction happening now: Earth on the Verge of a huge Reset?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,157 times in 3,105 posts

Default Mass Extinction happening now: Earth on the Verge of a huge Reset?

This story is mainstream!!!

Mass Extinction Threat: Earth on Verge of Huge Reset Button?

Mass Extinctions have served as huge reset buttons that dramatically changed the diversity of species found in oceans all over the world, according to a comprehensive study of fossil records. The findings suggest humans will live in a very different future if they drive animals to extinction, because the loss of each species can alter entire ecosystems.

Some scientists have speculated that effects of humans - from hunting to climate change - are fueling another great mass extinction. A few go so far as to say we are entering a new geologic epoch, leaving the 10,000-year-old Holocene Epoch behind and entering the Anthropocene Epoch, marked by major changes to global temperatures and ocean chemistry, increased sediment erosion, and changes in biology that range from altered flowering times to shifts in migration patterns of birds and mammals and potential die-offs of tiny organisms that support the entire marine food chain.

Scientists had once thought species diversity could help buffer a group of animals from such die-offs, either keeping them from heading toward extinction or helping them to bounce back. But having many diverse species also proved no guarantee of future success for any one group of animals, given that mass extinctions more or less wiped the slate clean, according to studies such as the latest one.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...ugeresetbutton

Are we??? Or is it just a load of hocus pocus??

viking
    You decide...your thoughts..your actions..your reality.
    Choose well.
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...are-the-change

2. Link to Post #2
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Re: Mass Extinction happening now: Earth on the Verge of a huge Reset?

Hi Viking,

This is true not only from hunting and climate change, but also constructions of cities and changing landscapes for the breeding of livestock. Could it be that the only animals that we will see in the future will be fish fingers, hamburgers and bacon rashers in the supermarkets?

Best regards,

Steve

3. Link to Post #3
    Canada Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 times in 479 posts

Hello dear Viking,

That is a very plausible scenario. Much more then planet X or cosmic waves. Now, oil are spreading in our waters. Pollution IS the real threat for mass instinction and POLLUTION comes from the way of life of 20% of the Earth population.

Have you ever read a book called 'Plan B 3.0' by Lester R. Brown? http://www.earth-policy.org/images/u...es/pb3book.pdf In this book, you will see that your article is touching something real.

Hubert Reeves a also wrote a book called 'mal de terre' where he presents 3 scenario for the future, if we maintain this course. The worse is that in 100 years, planet Earth will be an aride desert like Venus, where nearly no life can develop at all. The best scenario is that in 100 years all the mamals will be gone, only insects and some reptiles will be able to develop. For those who know Hubert Reeves and is notoriety it is a message not to be taken lightly.

I am very wary about the way we live, our waste, pollution and gap between poors and rich people. That is the real threat to me.

Namaste, Steven

4. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 times in 328 posts

I dont believe the human race will be around in another 100 years, if they continue to live their lives the way they do now,without any concern whatsoever of the consequences against our beloved mother earth,not going to happen good luck with that tho,so lets hope that something is coming down the pipe to change mass consciousness some way somehow,because if that doesn't happen i am just glad to say i wont be alive in another 100 years,and i feel horrible for the future that our children may have to deal with ...

5. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,628 times in 390 posts

Quote A few go so far as to say we are entering a new geologic epoch, leaving the 10,000-year-old Holocene Epoch behind and entering the Anthropocene Epoch, marked by major changes to global temperatures and ocean chemistry, increased sediment erosion, and changes in biology that range from altered flowering times to shifts in migration patterns of birds and mammals and potential die-offs of tiny organisms that support the entire marine food chain.
    Hubris: (n.) Often indicates being out of touch with reality and overestimating one's own competence or abilities.
    Could we end life on earth for man? Sure.
    The earth would just start over with bees, or buffaloes, or barnacles.
    Fred

6. Link to Post #6
    Ireland Avalon Member irishspirit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,720 times in 462 posts

WE ARE living through a massive species extinction event that rivals the one that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. But while an asteroid collision likely did in the dinos, today’s extinctions are a direct consequence of human activity, writes

DICK AHLSTROM , Science Editor

Whatever the cause, the result could be a complete collapse of the marine ecosystem, according to new research from the US. Far from being no more than a theory, they warn that two marine wipe-outs have occurred in the past and we may be triggering a third.

Researchers from Brown University and the University of Washington catalogued the results of the two earlier extinction events by searching the fossil record. Their study of an extinct distant relative of today’s squid and cuttlefish showed just what can happen if you start messing with the marine food web, publishing the details in the journal Geology .

“It is definitely a cautionary tale because we know it has happened at least twice before,” states the paper’s lead author, Prof Jessica Whiteside, an assistant professor of geological sciences at Brown.

The research also showed that once you knock the marine ecosystem out of sync, it can take millions of years to put it right again.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...287406918.html

This story kinda says it all if you ask me.
    Open your eyes and you will see, open your heart and your will feel.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to irishspirit For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (18th January 2011), fifi (20th January 2011), Forest Denizen (28th October 2019), hohoemi (8th February 2011), HURRITT ENYETO (20th January 2011), str8thinker (18th January 2011)

8. Link to Post #7
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Unfortunately yes

chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (18th January 2011)

10. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

i seen a show on uk tv chanel 4 about shark fin soup,theirs over 100 million sharks killed worldwide each year and only 5% of the fish is actually eaten,basically they catch the shark and drag it on deck and cut the fins off and dump the shark back in the water while its still alive,shocking stuff tbh.
    the regulations say that the whole shark has to be landed at the public dock befotre the fins are removed but rarely happens.
    this is another threat to the whole marine enviroment by removing its main predator

here's a link to the show on ch4 SHARK BITES which any uk resident can watch or i think ultrasurf or simular will hide your ip for non uk residents to view it

peace and love K

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kesom For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (18th January 2011)

12. Link to Post #9
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,308 times in 7,756 posts

well imagine now that we realize each time we see a punch cloud an antimatter burst just went off with more power than any bomb ever made...

Thorium is almost the same as uranium and right now our atmosphere is filled with it...

imagine all of the oil refineries, burning off excess which is pumping out more and more for each gallon... Countries like Venezuela, Mexico, Iran along with many others don't have the right equipment to process it out... I have been looking at health reports around these refineries and it is shocking, birth defects etc related to the poisons...

The world needs to step in and help them with equipment needed to stop the emissions...

ever wondered what causes a circular sink hole in a neighboring country?

I'm serious this needs to be acted on now...

13. Link to Post #10
    England Avalon Member HURRITT ENYETO's Avatar
    Over the Moon Under the Sun. Manchester UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,333 times in 531 posts

Yes sadly this is a fact. I keep Coral and Marine fish and for years now Coral eco systems have been collapsing en masse across the globe. Coral is one of the oldest and most beautiful forms of life on the planet, and IMHO is one Barometer of Earth's health and with the Oceans increasing acidity more and more Coral is being 'bleached' in short it is not looking good. All these eco-systems i think are part of Mother Earth's soul, part of the planets (and so our) life force.

This story is a little off topic.
    I once had a little yellow spotted Box fish (his name was square pants) anyway this particular Box Fish has one of the most deadly toxins known to man in a gland in its body. It only secretes this toxin if its in extreme stress or in defence of its life, In the ocean this isnt a problem but in the confined space of an Aquarium it is deadly and the fish only does this as a last resort. Anyway one day i noticed square pants wasnt looking well at all (he was my favourite fish)

After a short time other fish (which he had lived with all his life) began viciously attacking him,(i know people will say its natural) by the time i became aware of this he was in a really bad way, i will always remember the way he looked at me at deaths door, as if to say 'its alright don't worry' as he was remorselessly attacked. He could have killed them all any time he wanted but he chose not to. I removed him to another tank so he could at least die in peace (which he did) But that fish taught me a valuable lesson.

My point is that nobody can tell me that fish don't have a soul. There is SO MUCH we can learn from them and they are dying in their millions, sometimes before mankind has even discovered them ! And it breaks my heart to see what is happening. Mankind thinks he is the most intelligent animal on the planet yet he is so short sighted and stupid. It really saddens me.
    The Universe at its heart is a Phantom.
    God sleeps in the Minerals, Awakens in Plants, Walks in the Animals and Thinks in Man.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HURRITT ENYETO For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (18th January 2011), fifi (19th January 2011), Forest Denizen (28th October 2019), hohoemi (8th February 2011), meeradas (20th January 2011), witchy1 (18th January 2011)

15. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

As I mentioned in a thread that I started (and no one responded to), climate prediction is a complex guess, and that's if it is done by honest and well informed researchers. The ocean ecosystems, on the other hand, are already in trouble - observable right now, no prediction required. I see the easily sampled pH of the oceans (showing acidification) and the alarming loss of 40% of plankton as the canary in the coal mine. I suppose the ocean changes could be from changes in solar radiation or fluctuations in the magnetosphere that are not man-made, but I believe we as a species need to guess we're almost undoubtedly causing some or all of the problem, and should at least try to take whatever steps we can to remove our foot from Gaia's carotid artery.

Her's the thread I started: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...-wisest-advice

Dennis

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

conk (19th January 2011), Forest Denizen (28th October 2019), Fredkc (18th January 2011), HURRITT ENYETO (18th January 2011), irishspirit (18th January 2011), str8thinker (18th January 2011)

17. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

The pawns are doing exactly as told by the service to self E.T's that want to make sure the timeline of destruction happens. The Oil spill, the killing of dolphins and whales which are responsible for keeping the harmonics of the earth balanced ( which is astounding to me how you can kill a whale or a dolphin is beyond my understanding, and it is only the Asian countries that partake in the hunting of them, or the vast majority anyways) spraying of chemtrails, keeping children starving, cutting down forest's etc....

All part of the same agenda to kill the Flora and Fauna of the planet, therefor allowing the planet to be sucked into a fall scenario where the Drako can take full control.

Truth Nectar

18. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member GlassSteagallfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,530 times in 987 posts

All good things... The coming mass extinction

by Richard Published on 23rd March 2012 05:11

From: http://nexus.2012info.ca/forum/showt...ass-extinction

Theme: a post by Richard at the Nexus website basically stating that we are almost out of time to save the oceans from pollution which will cause mass extinction. Worth the read.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GlassSteagallfan For This Post:

ghostrider (11th May 2012), RMorgan (8th May 2012), RUSirius (8th May 2012), Unified Serenity (8th May 2012)

20. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member Skywizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,727 times in 1,319 posts

Humans have caused extinction rates to increase by up to 10,000 times.

Humanity is responsible for speeding up the natural rate of extinction for animal and plant species by up to 10,000 times, as the planet is on the brink of a dinosaur-scale sixth mass extinction, a new study has warned.

Species are disappearing around 10 times faster than is widely believed in the scientific community, while in pre-human times extinction rates were slower than previously thought, researchers from Duke University in the US said.

“We are on the verge of the sixth extinction,” lead author, biologist Stuart Pimm, said. “Whether we avoid it or not will depend on our actions.”

Praised by independent experts as a landmark report, it focuses around calculating a “death rate” of how many species become extinct each year out of 1 million species.

Analysing the latest research, the team concluded that the pre-human extinction rate was 0.1 per year per 1 million, rather than 1 per 1 million, as a previous study led by Dr Pimm in 1995 suggested.

Today, the rate is at least 1,000 times greater than the 0.1 figure at 100 extinctions per year per million species, but could be up to 1000 per 1 million, Dr Pimm said.

Although a combination of numerous factors is responsible for the acceleration in disappearance of species, the biggest is habitat loss caused by humans, Dr Pimm and co-author Clinton Jenkins from the Institute of Ecological Research in Brazil said.

Other major issues are invasive species introduced by humans crowding out native species, climate change affecting where species can survive and overfishing.

A good example is the buffy-tufted-ear marmoset Dr Jenkins said development in Brazil has decimated its habitat while a competing marmoset has taken over where it lives.

The oceanic white-tip shark used to be one of the most abundant predators on Earth, but they have been hunted so much they are now rarely seen, added Dalhousie University marine biologist Boris Worm, who praised the study. “If we don't do anything, this will go the way of the dinosaurs.”

Other species at great risk include the Sumatran rhinoceros, Amur leopard and mountain gorilla.

Dr Pimm and Mr Jenkins did however say there is some hope. Both said the use of smartphones and applications such as iNaturalist will help ordinary people and biologists find species in trouble, they said. Once biologists know where endangered species are, they can try to save habitats and use captive breeding and other techniques to save the species, they said.

One success story is the golden lion tamarin. Decades ago the tiny primates were thought to be extinct because of habitat loss, but they were then found in remote parts of Brazil and bred in captivity, and biologists helped set aside new forests for them to live in, Dr Jenkins said.

“Now there are more tamarins than there are places to put them,” he said.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...s-9466313.html

peace...
    ~~ One foot in the Ancient World and the other in the Now ~~

21. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Skywizard For This Post:

Craig (4th June 2014), Ecnal61 (3rd June 2014), eleritzo (3rd June 2014), ElfeMya (4th June 2014), Ellisa (4th June 2014), Forest Denizen (28th October 2019), Limor Wolf (3rd June 2014), Matt P (3rd June 2014), Mercedes (5th June 2014), Nasu (3rd June 2014), selinam (3rd June 2014), Sunny-side-up (3rd June 2014), william r sanford72 (3rd June 2014)

22. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,019 times in 927 posts

We're not on the verge, we're in it. It's here. And, yes, where we go from here depends on our choices but I would include our biggest choice of whether or not to cast off the criminal fake reality control matrix that is preventing us from understanding who we are, where we are from and what we are capable of. And, of course, we have to include in this debate the fact that humans are being targeted for at least a partial extinction. Chemtrails, fluoride, vaccines, gmo's...these are all soft kill weapons against us.

Matt
    Fear is simply a consequence of a lack of information.

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Matt P For This Post:

Axman (3rd June 2014), ElfeMya (4th June 2014), justntime2learn (22nd October 2019), Limor Wolf (3rd June 2014), Mercedes (5th June 2014), Pam (3rd June 2014), selinam (3rd June 2014), Skywizard (3rd June 2014), william r sanford72 (3rd June 2014)

24. Link to Post #16
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Take a look at this:

http://www.wunderground.com/news/met...story-20130226

quite a few of those caused a 50-90% extinction of living animal on the planet in a matter of days/months.

Yes we should be more conservative with how we treat the planet, but Humanity is causing the next mass extinction? The fact that people are even willing to consider that notion is scary.

we should be much more focused on preventing the next PLANETARY extinction event (a sizable meteorite strike) not this silly unproven "anthropomorphic climate change" nonsense.

be careful where you spend your energy and place your focus, it's one of the few resources inherent to humanity.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

25. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (3rd June 2014), ElfeMya (4th June 2014), Ellisa (4th June 2014), justntime2learn (22nd October 2019), Matt P (3rd June 2014), rgray222 (4th January 2019), thunder24 (3rd June 2014), Tyy1907 (3rd June 2014), Watching from Cyprus (4th June 2014), william r sanford72 (3rd June 2014)

26. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member william r sanford72's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,586 times in 2,838 posts

I would like to include our often overlooked and unsung players...our earth canaries in the coalmine...Honeybees ..Pollinators...Insects.
    Truth and Balance always
    William.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

ElfeMya (4th June 2014), Ellisa (4th June 2014), Forest Denizen (28th October 2019), Limor Wolf (3rd June 2014), Matt P (3rd June 2014), Mercedes (5th June 2014), Robin (3rd June 2014), Zaya (4th June 2014)

28. Link to Post #18
    Great Britain Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,647 times in 1,188 posts

I wonder if anyone has thought about reducing the population or colonizing Mars!!!

29. Link to Post #19
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Quote Posted by yelik (here)
    I wonder if anyone has thought about reducing the population or colonizing Mars!!!
    Hi Yelik there have been quite a few threads debating at length population reduction and colonising Mars has been briefly mentioned.
    The search engine on Avalon is not great but worth a try --if you find a thread that interests, you can always post on it thus bringing the subject to life again.
    There are quite a few new members who would appreciate getting involved in such debates.

Regards Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Billy (4th June 2014), gripreaper (4th June 2014)

31. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

They will colonize the moons of Jupiter , as Jupiter has been undergoing terraforming for the last five years in preparation that WE earth humans don't change our ways ... it's only a matter of time before some maniac sets off a nuclear exchange ...then it's game over
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast