+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1970's British TV Series "UFO" - headed for big screen Movie Trilogy Release in 2013

1. Link to Post #1
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Default 1970's British TV Series "UFO" - headed for big screen Movie Trilogy Release in 2013

In 1970, Gerry & Sylvia Anderson (famous for their earlier Supermarionation puppet series such as Thunderbirds, Joe 90, Captain Scarlet etc) produced their first live-action series called "UFO".

Name:  UFOcomp.jpg
Views: 7066
Size:  22.0 KB

This is the first episode, "Identified".

Part 1/4

Part 2/4

Part 3/4

Part 4/4

Not widely known outside of the UK, it was years ahead of its time and is now in production as a movie Trilogy tentatively set for a 2013 release date.

The official movie website is here:

http://ufo-themovie.com/shado/

... but there's very little on it yet (just Google "New UFO movie" or similar if you'd like to know more ).

Whole original series is available on DVD from Amazon).

It's a very "dark" series and was aimed at adult viewers. Great watch.

IMDB Synopsis:
    Quote In the year 1980 the Earth is threatened by an alien race who kidnap and kill humans and use them for body parts. A highly secret military organization is set up in the hope of defending the Earth from this alien threat. This organization is named SHADO (Supreme Headquarters Alien Defence Organization) and operates from a secret location beneath a film studio. They also operate a fleet of submarines and have a base on the moon as well as an early warning satellite that detects inbound UFOs. UFOs can be destroyed in space by Interceptors which are launched from Moonbase. If one gets through it can be attacked in the Earth's atmosphere by a high altitude aircraft launched from one of the submarines. If a UFO also avoids this and manages to land it can be tracked and destroyed by a number of Mobiles (armored vehicles) which are deployed throughout the world.

Written by Kevin Steinhauer <K.Steinhauer@BoM.GOV.AU
    For a comprehensive description & history of the original series, Cast/characters, Episode guide etc with related and fan links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO_%28TV_series%29
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 3rd October 2013 at 06:49.

2. Link to Post #2
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,067 times in 950 posts

Default Re: 1970's British TV Series "UFO" - headed for big screen Movie Trilogy Release in

I won't be happy until 'Blakes' Seven' returns. There was a rumour last year that it would-- but no sign yet and I'm still waiting!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ellisa For This Post:

KiwiElf (3rd December 2012), mosquito (3rd December 2012), nickc2496 (28th December 2012), william r sanford72 (1st August 2014)

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,631 times in 18,693 posts

Default Re: 1970's British TV Series "UFO" - headed for big screen Movie Trilogy Release in

I watched several episodes of this a couple of years ago and although dated with stupid costumes, was not as bad as I thought.

The fact that Earths defences was run by an organisation hiding behind, Harlington Straker film premises, sounds familier now..LOL...

Quote I won't be happy until 'Blakes' Seven' returns. There was a rumour last year that it would-- but no sign yet and I'm still waiting!

Another favourite , especialy Servalans ever decreasingly plunging Bust line !!..especially as a teanager ..LOL..

An earlier thread ...

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...-Fi-Disclosure

Former resistance leader Roj Blake witnesses a massacre and is subsequently framed for a series of fictional crimes by the totalitarian Federation.
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 3rd December 2012 at 11:10.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Ellisa (3rd December 2012), KiwiElf (3rd December 2012), nickc2496 (28th December 2012), william r sanford72 (1st August 2014)

6. Link to Post #4
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Cidersomerset (here)
    I watched several episodes of this a couple of years ago and although dated with stupid costumes, was not as bad as I thought.
    LOL The costumes - and the girls with purple wigs - were pretty cool for 1970 though! (Along with the real working props of futuristic cars, the interceptors, subs & other vehicles).

Name:  UFO girl.jpg
Views: 97198
Size:  50.9 KB
    Name:  fostersCarWanda.jpg
Views: 14002
Size:  31.1 KB
    Name:  SHADO-interceptors-UFO.jpg
Views: 6779
Size:  124.0 KB
    Name:  Sky One interceptor.jpg
Views: 6107
Size:  20.3 KB

7. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,631 times in 18,693 posts

Its not as daft as it seems now when you consider glam rock was about at the time ...

It may have inspired the Dolorean...

and the shuttle ..LOL..

Last edited by Cidersomerset; 3rd December 2012 at 02:22.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Ellisa (3rd December 2012), KiwiElf (3rd December 2012), nickc2496 (28th December 2012), william r sanford72 (1st August 2014)

9. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,368 times in 300 posts

This is awesome news. I used to watch this religiously, and didn't know anyone else who even knew about it! Sure it looks cheezy now but at the time it was really pretty amazing...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rex For This Post:

Frank V (2nd August 2014), KiwiElf (3rd December 2012), nickc2496 (28th December 2012)

11. Link to Post #7
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by deadfoot (here)
    This is awesome news. I used to watch this religiously, and didn't know anyone else who even knew about it! Sure it looks cheezy now but at the time it was really pretty amazing...
    I'm a BIG fan myself Hope it's a good reimagining

If you're interested, a British Film Producer is making a working replica of Straker's iconic car from moulds taken off the original (which is now so delapidated, it's almost a pile of dust). This forum can keep you up-to-date about it. He's building it onto a Jaguar Chassis & running gear.

The cars, and some of UFO's actors appeared in an earlier movie (also made by the Anderson's) called "Doppelganger" (and in other countries, "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun")

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...d.php?t=146975

Click image for larger version

Name:	Straker car rebuild-4.jpg
Views:	1078
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	19511

Name:	strakers_car.jpg
Views:	1153
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	19512

Name:	straker_in_car.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	19513

We also have an Avalonian member called "Straker"
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 3rd December 2012 at 02:18.

12. Link to Post #8
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,808 times in 2,892 posts

People don't know how truly profound this show really was/is.

The first ep. all but describes the so called plight of the greys.

Not bad for a 1970 show that's suppose to know nothing but to tell made up stories.

SIDE NOTE
    Another sci-fi toy that came to pass: Wireless Telephone

P.S. Makes for great comparative research, on so many levels...

Thanks for the blast from the past..KiwiElf
    Last edited by shadowstalker; 3rd December 2012 at 04:02.
    Namaste-Matte

MY LATEST BOOK: "INTRUDERS UPON THE REALM"
    JOIN ME IN MY NEW ONGOING PROJECT
    My Bitchute
    My Music
    My Books
    Project: Shadowstalker

Once you get past the fear of darkness, you can find the things hidden in the shadows..

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shadowstalker For This Post:

Cidersomerset (3rd December 2012), Frank V (2nd August 2014), KiwiElf (3rd December 2012), nickc2496 (28th December 2012), Ol' Roy (5th February 2013), william r sanford72 (1st August 2014)

14. Link to Post #9
    New Zealand Avalon Member Tane Mahuta's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,565 times in 726 posts

Heeeey!! talk about a blast from the past!!

was my fav program way back when

thanks Elf

TM
    "Seek the Truth.....and the Truth shall set you free!!!"

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tane Mahuta For This Post:

Cidersomerset (3rd December 2012), Ellisa (3rd December 2012), Frank V (2nd August 2014), KiwiElf (3rd December 2012), nickc2496 (28th December 2012)

16. Link to Post #10
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Thank you folks - you're most welcome - watch out for more!

Who remembers the old UK weekly "Countdown" Comic which featured UFO as a mainstay? Even the artwork was superb. Printed on broadsheet-sized coated paper, they're worth a fortune as collectors items (check out e-Bay!!!). Unlike the quite bland pulp comics of the time such as Marvel, these were really "illustrated". Hand pencilled, penned, painted and lettered by one (or a few) artists.

Here's a UFO sample strip from a 1971 edition of Countdown, by UK artist, Gerry Haylock.

Name:	UFOcomic.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	19521
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 3rd December 2012 at 22:05.

17. Link to Post #11
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,067 times in 950 posts

Thanks for reviving some great memories Elf (and others).

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellisa For This Post:

KiwiElf (4th December 2012), nickc2496 (28th December 2012)

19. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,331 times in 1,704 posts

Thanks Kiwielf,
    That's great news I love UFO, Captain Scarlett, Thunderbirds. I have the box sets for the last two.

Best wishes Boris

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

KiwiElf (9th December 2012), nickc2496 (28th December 2012)

21. Link to Post #13
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

You're welcome BMJ - likewise. (Have you seen the New Captain Scarlet? (cgi) - is excellent imo )

Will post further updates when more becomes known about the UFO movie(s)
    Official UFO Movie site is here, but as mentioned earlier, not much on it yet:

Just to confuse things, there is a separate movie (also called UFO) due out in 2013 - nothing to do with this one. EDIT: 2013-0129 - Have just seen this: it is TERRIBLE IMO - I'd go so far as to say the WORST sci-fi movie I've ever seen (rating 2.8/10 from IMDB
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 28th January 2013 at 22:29.

22. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,814 times in 3,730 posts

Oh my what a blast down memory lane.

I have the entire UFO series on DVD and watched it completely again - the transfer was amazing and its still very watchable.

Lt Gay Ellis - the boss chick in the purple wig, played by Gabrielle Drake was my first TV "crush" - LOL

I also used to get the Countdown comic but didn't keep them.

Some other things on the list:

Thunderbirds
    Stingray
    Marine Boy
    Captain Scarlet

-- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

BMJ (9th December 2012), KiwiElf (7th December 2012), nickc2496 (28th December 2012)

24. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,331 times in 1,704 posts

Quote Posted by KiwiElf (here)
    You're welcome BMJ - likewise. (Have you seen the New Captain Scarlet? (cgi) - is excellent imo )

Will post further updates when more becomes known about the UFO movie(s)
    Official UFO Movie site is here, but as mentioned earlier, not much on it yet:

Just to confuse things, there is a separate movie (also called UFO) due out in 2013 - nothing to do with this one.
    No I wasn't KiwiElf, thanks for bringing it to our attention, I'll have to take a look.
    Last edited by BMJ; 9th December 2012 at 13:31.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

KiwiElf (9th December 2012), nickc2496 (28th December 2012)

26. Link to Post #16
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Gerry Anderson, puppetry pioneer and creator of the hit TV show Thunderbirds, has died, aged 83.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...-Anderson-dies

Anderson's son Jamie said his father died peacefully in his sleep at a nursing home near Oxfordshire, England, after being diagnosed with mixed dementia two years ago.

His condition had worsened dramatically over the past six months, his son said.

Anderson's television career launched in the 1950s.

Once Thunderbirds aired in the 1960s, "Thunderbirds are go!" became a catchphrase for generations.

It also introduced the use of supermarionation - a puppetry technique using thin wires to control marionettes - and made sci-fi mainstream, according to Jamie Anderson.

"He forever changed the direction of sci-fi entertainment," Jamie told the Associated Press. "Lots of animation and films that have been made in the past 20 or 30 years have been inspired by the work that he did."

He said the TV show was perhaps his father's proudest achievement - along with the cross-generational appeal of his body of work, which also included TV shows Stingray and Space: 1999, among others.

"Most people know some aspect of one of his shows which is not something that many TV producers can say," Jamie said. He noted that his father first broke ground with puppets in Thunderbirds, but was trying new techniques, like advanced computer-generated imagery, into his later years with projects such as 2005's Captain Scarlet, the re-imagining of his 1967 TV animation.

Most recently, Anderson worked as a consultant on a Hollywood remake of his 1969 series UFO.

"He was very much a perfectionist and was never happy with any of the end products although he may have been happy with the responses," Jamie said, describing how his father would involve himself in every aspect of production.

"He wasn't just someone who sat in a chair barking orders, he managed to bring together great teams of great people and between them with a like mindset produced some real gems."

In recent years, Anderson and his son had become active supporters of Britain's Alzheimer's Society.

Jeremy Hughes, chief executive of society, said Anderson tirelessly attended events to raise awareness and raise money for a cure.

"He was determined, despite his own recent diagnosis, to spend the last year of his life speaking out for others living with dementia to ensure their voices were heard and their lives improved," Hughes said.

Anderson is survived by his wife, Mary, and four children.

-------

R.I.P. Gerry - and thank you for all the years of fun - take the second star to the right... and straight on till morning - KiwiElf
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 26th December 2012 at 22:45.

27. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,798 times in 666 posts

Default Re: 1970's British TV Series "UFO" - headed for big screen Movie Trilogy Release in 2013

Sometimes I have to wonder if series like these are the PTB telling us what's going on in the ' hidden in plain sight ' context or if these episodes actually kicked off conspiracy theories in the first place.

I'm thinking of the alleged organ harvesting that went on after Haiti earthquake.
    Last edited by Taurean; 10th January 2013 at 03:05.
    Sapere aude

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Taurean For This Post:

KiwiElf (10th January 2013)

29. Link to Post #18
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Re: 1970's British TV Series "UFO" - headed for big screen Movie Trilogy Release in 2013

Thunderbirds remake is go, say ITV and Hobbit studio

Name:  Thunderbirds-006.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  18.2 KB

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...ake-itv-hobbit

(As the fans of UFO are probably interested, I've added it to this thread - KiwiElf )

Children's TV series to return in 2015, 50 years after it launched, and will be made with New Zealand special effects team

John Plunkett
    guardian.co.uk, Monday 4 February 2013 10.04 GMT

Thunderbirds are back! The children's TV series will return to ITV in 2015, 50 years after Thunderbird 1 first launched from under the swimming pool on Tracy Island and Parker drove Lady Penelope around in a pink Rolls-Royce, number plate FAB1.

The new series, which has the working title Thunderbirds Are Go!, will be made with the New Zealand special effects studio that worked on Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

Thunderbirds first appeared on ITV in 1965 featuring Gerry Anderson's famous "supermarionation" puppet techniques. Anderson, whose other TV shows included Captain Scarlet, Joe 90 and Space 1999, died on 26 December last year, aged 83. (see above post)

The 26-part series will be made in collaboration with the Oscar-winning Weta Workshop, which worked on Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, and will air on the UK on ITV and the CITV channel.

It will feature a "unique mix of CGI animation and live-action model sets", according to the producers, ITV Studios and Wellington-based Pukeko Pictures.

The programme-makers said it would "deliver a whole new level of action-adventure animation for today's audience, whilst also affectionately paying tribute to the legacy of model locations from the classic series".

ITV Studios UK managing director Denise O'Donoghue said: "Thunderbirds is a highly respected brand that continues to hold recognition around the world.

"This cult series is often credited as changing the history of animation and action-adventure, and we look forward to taking the show to another level while retaining the much-loved heritage that has endured over the past 50 years."

Head writer on the new series will be Rob Hoegee, whose credits include Ben 10, Generator Rex, Teen Titans and Slugterra, names with which Thurnderbirds fans who watched the show first time round may not be immediately familiar.

Plans for a revival of the much-loved series were first revealed two years ago when Anderson said the show would be updated using "all the mod cons".

Richard Taylor, co-owner of Pukeko Pictures and Weta Workshop, said: "Thunderbirds was a hugely influential television series in my childhood. Having watched it originally in black and white, it was only years later that I discovered the full and rich world that Gerry and Sylvia Anderson, Derek Meddings, Mike Trimm and their team created.

"It is thrilling therefore to think we have the opportunity to work with ITV on this new series inspired by this most wonderful of British shows. I personally, together with the teams here at Pukeko Pictures and Weta Workshop, look forward to designing and creating an inspirational world that will engage the imagination of a whole new generation as it did for us nearly half a century ago."

ITV Studios retains the worldwide rights to the Thunderbirds brand, and is global distributor of the new series and all its spin-off merchandise.

Thunderbirds was turned into a live action film in 2004 but the Hollywood production was poorly received by fans and critics. Anderson described it as "the biggest load of crap I have ever seen in my life".

Anderson and ITV collaborated on a new CGI version of another of his 1960s "supermarionation" puppet shows, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, broadcast in 2005. Gerry Anderson's New Captain Scarlet was filmed in "hypermarionation" – a combination of CGI and motion capture special effects.

30. Link to Post #19
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

Vernacular is one thing & Euphemism another...

S.H.A.D.O

Great series with alot of 'Truth & Hidden Secrets' inter-woven into every episode...

31. Link to Post #20
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

It was years ahead of its time: alien abductions and organ harvesting - decades before it became a widely known "reality"; advanced technology (aircraft, spaceships, subs etc), underground secret base hiding under a flim studio with military people masquerading as film execs; secret base on the moon - mind control technology, and all with the mainstream and other military largely oblivious to what was really going on. Sound familiar?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast