Thread: Carlos Castaneda Casualties- An Interview With Amy Wallace 2004

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,733 times in 4,313 posts

Default Carlos Castaneda Casualties- An Interview With Amy Wallace 2004

I'm a huge fan of the books by Carlos Castaneda. But, there is a lot of BS involved with that whole thing. This interview helps to point some of this out.

2004-Magical Blend Magazine-Amy Wallace

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

bram (12th December 2012), dan33 (30th October 2013), Daughter of Time (12th December 2012), Eram (11th December 2012), Fred Steeves (12th December 2012), galilava (11th December 2012), mab777 (12th December 2012), Mike (11th December 2012), panopticon (11th December 2012), RMorgan (11th December 2012), sandy (12th December 2012), seko (12th December 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,123 times in 3,535 posts

Default Re: Carlos Castaneda Casualties- An Interview With Amy Wallace 2004

Hi there,

Well, I think Iīve read most of his books when I was a teenager. He was a really good writer.

Anyway, I never saw any reason for interpreting his books as non-fictional. Theyīre just books, after all.

I never knew the guy and never met anyone who knew him. I also donīt know the woman who wrote the above article.

So, itīs beyond my scope to come to the conclusion if his books are definitively fiction or not. Whenever you come to a conclusion strictly based on other personīs words, specially persons you donīt even know, then youīre giving up your power of choice.

At least I had a good time reading his books back then; I never really incorporate his "teachings" into my belief system.

I always try to stay unbiased when reading anything related to the occult because itīs close to impossible to verify the veracity/validity of such kind of information.

Anyway, why do we always feel forced to choose if a piece of information is truth or not? Nowadays Iīd rather stay neutral regarding most kind of information (except for the blatantly misleading), thus making every bit of information useful in different ways.

Raf.
    Last edited by RMorgan; 11th December 2012 at 14:39.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RMorgan For This Post:

Camilo (11th December 2012), ceetee9 (13th December 2012), DNA (11th December 2012), Isserley (11th December 2012), Mike (11th December 2012), panopticon (11th December 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,308 times in 5,692 posts

i'm a huge fan as well DNA, despite the BS.

thanks for the link. i also highly recommend 'a magical journey with carlos casteneda' by margaret runyan (ex-wife). interesting book. separates the truth from the fiction.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Camilo (11th December 2012), DNA (11th December 2012), onawah (14th December 2012), panopticon (11th December 2012), RMorgan (11th December 2012), seko (11th December 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    Denmark Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,455 times in 314 posts

I once talked to a shaman who knew both Carlos Castaneda and Don Juan. He told me that Don Juans real (indian) name was "two bears".
    So apparently heīs not a fictitious character. For what itīs worth...

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to delfine For This Post:

bram (12th December 2012), DNA (11th December 2012), Hervé (12th December 2012), mab777 (12th December 2012), Mark (13th December 2012), Mike (11th December 2012), onawah (14th December 2012), Unicorn (12th December 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,932 times in 385 posts

I have learnt allot from Castaneda. Fantastic stories and an over the top life. Two perspectives that may have never entered my perception if not for Don Juan.

Peaceful Journeys Wookie
    "The Perception of an Illusion is Deception, even when you believed it was real! Perception of Deception is not an Illusion at all!" Carl Stoynoff

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wookie For This Post:

bram (12th December 2012), DNA (12th December 2012), onawah (14th December 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,405 times in 1,922 posts

As with every writer, you should take what resonates with you and discard the rest with no judgement on your part, nor taking what others say.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Camilo For This Post:

bram (12th December 2012), DNA (12th December 2012), Fred Steeves (12th December 2012)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

Quote Posted by delfine (here)
    I once talked to a shaman who knew both Carlos Castaneda and Don Juan. He told me that Don Juans real (indian) name was "two bears".
    I thought Don Gennero was Two Bears. I have a rather large, numbered print from the Artist who painted him... a student himself in that lineage of students/teachers

To understand that either of these men is not fictional is important so the works of Castenada never fall into the realms of absolute fantasy. The Shamanic Path is a mysterous walk. Few, if any, can look from the outside and understand what is going on on the inside.
    Harley Swiftdeer studied with Two Bears Wilson aka Don Gennero. Through this lineage I had never actually heard that Don Juan was a real person, as in 'ordinary reality' real.

Here: "medicine chief of the Navajo nation, Tom "Two Bears" Wilson. Two Bears’ remarkable powers were revealed by Carlos Castaneda in his series of books in which he portrayed Two Bears as Don Gennaro. Swiftdeer studied with this teacher for 15 years, until Two Bears died. Later, he continued working with Hyemeyohst Storm, a Cheyenne and author of Seven Arrows."

http://www.context.org/iclib/ic16/reagan/

Don Genaro was Tom 'Two Bears' Wilson, Navajo Medicine Man and former President of the Navajo Native American Church, as revealed by Harley Swiftdeer Reagan, and pictured, in his autobiography. Swiftdeer was his apprentice.

Navaho Blessed BeautyWay Prayer

Great Spirit, may we walk in Beauty.
    May Beauty be above us so that we dream of Beauty.
    May Beauty be in front of us so that we are led by Beauty.
    May Beauty be to the left of us so that we may receive Beauty.
    May Beauty be to the right of us so that we may give out Beauty.
    May Beauty be behind us so that those who come after us may see Beauty.
    May Beauty be inside us so that we might become Beauty.
    Great Spirit, may we walk in Beauty.

as taught to Harley SwiftDeer Reagan by Grandfather Tom Two Bears Wilson, President of Navaho Native American Church ___________________________________________
    Last edited by Arrowwind; 11th December 2012 at 20:03.

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

bram (12th December 2012), Daughter of Time (12th December 2012), DNA (12th December 2012), Eram (11th December 2012), Fred Steeves (12th December 2012), Gardener (11th December 2012), Hervé (12th December 2012), mab777 (12th December 2012), Mark (13th December 2012), Mike (11th December 2012), Nickolai (11th December 2012), seko (12th December 2012), sumkat (12th December 2012)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,308 times in 5,692 posts

more please

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

DNA (12th December 2012), mab777 (12th December 2012), onawah (14th December 2012)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,108 times in 1,389 posts

Quote Posted by RMorgan (here)
    Hi there,

Well, I think Iīve read most of his books when I was a teenager. He was a really good writer.

Anyway, I never saw any reason for interpreting his books as non-fictional. Theyīre just books, after all.

I never knew the guy and never met anyone who knew him. I also donīt know the woman who wrote the above article.

So, itīs beyond my scope to come to the conclusion if his books are definitively fiction or not. Whenever you come to a conclusion strictly based on other personīs words, specially persons you donīt even know, then youīre giving up your power of choice.

At least I had a good time reading his books back then; I never really incorporate his "teachings" into my belief system.

I always try to stay unbiased when reading anything related to the occult because itīs close to impossible to verify the veracity/validity of such kind of information.

Anyway, why do we always feel forced to choose if a piece of information is truth or not? Nowadays Iīd rather stay neutral regarding most kind of information (except for the blatantly misleading), thus making every bit of information useful in different ways.

Raf.
    I think that woman is his former wife. She has a personal conflict with him even after his death. I read all of books of Castaneda. His successors made a fortune from him.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tangri For This Post:

DNA (12th December 2012), RMorgan (12th December 2012)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 times in 256 posts

Those who dwell in the egoic mind have always been keen to discredit castenada by ''proving'' that the experiences described in the books cannot be true. However, all of CC's boooks resonate with truth from cover to cover. This lady plumbs new depths by dwelling on his reported inability to maintain an erection, and then stating that she doesn't want to mention this!!

For the many of us who see the truth in castenada's writings, Don Juan and Don Genaro are more real than many events of our daily lives. For those who want to discredit, be my guest, discredit away. Its what the ego loves to do.............

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bram For This Post:

DNA (12th December 2012), StephenW11UK (14th December 2012), ulli (12th December 2012)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Arrowwind (here)
    I thought Don Gennero was Two Bears. I have a rather large, numbered print from the Artist who painted him... a student himself in that lineage of students/teachers

Don Genaro was Tom 'Two Bears' Wilson, Navajo Medicine Man and former President of the Navajo Native American Church, as revealed by Harley Swiftdeer Reagan, and pictured, in his autobiography. Swiftdeer was his apprentice.

This is funny. I met Harley Swiftdeer and his group in 1993. They were pretty cool, I did some martial arts sessions with Harley and I did a sweat lodge with them. I liked them, until it started getting wierd. I was like 20 at the time and I will just boil it down to brass tacks. After meeting me half a dozen times, they invited me to their inner circle kind of thing.

I will be honest, I didn't dig the vibe. Everyone would open mouth kiss everyone all the time. I learned that this is because the inner circle is basically a sexual free for all thing. I'm not judging it, I just wasn't comfortable with this and I stopped going.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Fred Steeves (12th December 2012), Mark (13th December 2012)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by bram (here)
    Those who dwell in the egoic mind have always been keen to discredit castenada by ''proving'' that the experiences described in the books cannot be true. However, all of CC's boooks resonate with truth from cover to cover. This lady plumbs new depths by dwelling on his reported inability to maintain an erection, and then stating that she doesn't want to mention this!!

For the many of us who see the truth in castenada's writings, Don Juan and Don Genaro are more real than many events of our daily lives. For those who want to discredit, be my guest, discredit away. Its what the ego loves to do.............
    I will attest that Castaneda's techniques for silencing the internal dialogue, and his open eye meditations work. They absolutely work.
    Did his stories need fantastical claims in order to capture the imaginations and attention of his readers? Maybe
    You could argue it's the whole deal with coyote medicine.
    Some artists use lies to convey the truth sort of thing.

I will say this.
    I met Florinda Donner and Taisha Abelar, along with a contingent of their folks at a retreat in northern Arizona, either 93' or 94'.
    I was a full scale Castaneda believer.
    Yea, I will admit that now, it's kind of hard to admit, but yea, I was a full scale believer.
    I believed the whole sha-bang. Every part of what he wrote.
    That is extroidinarilly embarrasing to admit, but there you go.

It was this meeting of Florinda Donner and Taisha Abelar that broke the spell for me.
    I've got a built in lie detector, it's a curse but in some instances it is pretty cool.
    After meeting Florinda Donner by far the leader of this group, I knew for a fact she was lying.
    And Taisha Abelar had little to no personal power. Taisha Abelar was over weight and taking all of her cues from Florinda Donner.

This was difficult to contend with, it was a coming to terms moment for me, and it tought me a valuable lesson in guillibility.
    I think Amy Wallace is very brave and I personally thank her for coming out and stating what she is stating.
    She is helping folks and opening their eyes to the reality of the situation in my opinion.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

bram (12th December 2012), Fred Steeves (12th December 2012), Mark (13th December 2012), RMorgan (12th December 2012), Swan (12th December 2012)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,751 times in 1,912 posts

I was introduced to Carlos and Don Juan in the late 70's and read every book until Carlos died in 1998.. I it think it was...

Then I hooked into Don Miguel Ruiz, a still living Toltec nagual, in 1998 via his first book "The Four Agreements". I finally got to interview Don Miguel last week after trying to get an interview with him for years... I will post it soon.

The writings of Carlos were instrumental in my spiritual growth and I have since re read the first few books... I was amazed at how re reading the books confirmed my own growth and path of awakening to knowing who I am!...

THe teachings of Don Juan were and are paramount in my training.

So therefore the dissing of the OP article/interview do not resonate with me.

Much love!

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kimberley For This Post:

bram (12th December 2012), Daughter of Time (12th December 2012), DNA (12th December 2012), Fred Steeves (12th December 2012), mab777 (12th December 2012), MargueriteBee (14th December 2012), Mark (13th December 2012), ulli (12th December 2012), Unicorn (12th December 2012)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DNA (here)
    I will be honest, I didn't dig the vibe. Everyone would open mouth kiss everyone all the time. I learned that this is because the inner circle is basically a sexual free for all thing. I'm not judging it, I just wasn't comfortable with this and I stopped going.
    Yes, there is that aspect at his lodge. I am aware of it.
    and people who fear their sexuality or think that it has to be perpetually controlled, either theirs or anyone elses will have huge issues with it.

But this sexual abandon ... for lack of a better word, is not found in all the lodges. I studied for several years at the Blue Thunder Lodge in Denton Texas with an advanced student of Harleys'. Never once did this go on....
    I think part of Harleys personal Karma is working through the sexuality teachings. Some people need that, and most probably do not. You are given the sexuality teachings in Book form so to speak, more really in an oral speaking tradition. You do with them what you will but you are required to understand your sexuality to advance on the path. your blockages, your fears, your programing, your traumas, your abuse, and anything that would keep you from being a fully orgasmic person must all be delt with to be free, to be a warrior, to find your enlightenment.

Once you go through that fire of learning then you find that open sexuality is for you, or not.... out of for the first time, free choice. It is not required that you participate in open sexuality if you dont want to. Nothing is forced. You find from your own accord your truth and go about finding your healing. It requires the silencing of the ringings in your head of all the tyrrants, all the brainwashing, all the fear programs that have hit you since the day you were born into our repressive controlling society regarding ones sexuality.

There are celebate types in the lodges as well as fully commited married people.

But the lodges are like a swirling cauldron. Freedom mixed with dicipline upon those who dont really know their true selves so a lot of caos and catharsis and spiritual rebirth then finally forming pure intent in direction. Personally it is one of the most amazing schools I have every attended.

I think Harley feels that our repression in our sexuality, our kundalini force, our inability to control it, to master it, to channel it, is one of the hugest downfalls resulting from of our repression put upon us through conventional religions, you know, those religons pushed upon Native Americans when the white man came.

Though it you are suppose to learn what true morals are, what moving from the heart is, how to have a deep and profound relationship, not dictated by shoulds and false rules and laws.

Before the white man came there were no venerial diseases. Sexuality was quite open. Remember how the spanish conqistidors spoke of how women were given to them? Well I would bet that women were not given to them. Women chose to go for sexuality was not a sin, it was a pathway to pleasure and comfort and connectedness with those people around you. In the same vein, homosexulaity was also considered just a part of routine life in many tribes.

In fact I think if someone really wanted to walk a Don Juan type of path you could find no better guidance than through the 4 Lodges (red lodge, black lodge, white lodge and yellow lodge) and special trainings through the students of Swiftdeer. Their home logdes are scattered aroun the nation and in Europe.
    Last edited by Arrowwind; 12th December 2012 at 03:14.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

DNA (12th December 2012), Fred Steeves (12th December 2012), Mark (13th December 2012), seko (12th December 2012)

29. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks

My take on sexuality is really simple. Some folks devolop a strong bond quickly, and others are like energetic teflon and can have repeated sex with many partners and for the most part form no bond, no cords.

For each their own, but I have to say that from what Amy Wallace is saying, and from what I saw at Harley Swiftdeer's sweet medicine lodge, it seems a classic male dominated version of sexuality here. I don't agree that Native Americans carried out this life style. Monogomy isn't some sort of European form of repressed sexuality. It is based on the idea that sex creates real sexual bonds between two people, these bonds are as real as our physical body, cords if you will.
    Again, I have met folks who do not form these attachments, but they do not ussually experience the true depths a relationship has to offer and it would make sense that they would want to participate in a life style like this. To each their own. I don't think one needs to validate it by constituting it was a cultural practice, it is what it is.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to DNA For This Post:

bram (12th December 2012)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DNA (here)
    My take on sexuality is really simple. Some folks devolop a strong bond quickly, and others are like energetic teflon and can have repeated sex with many partners and for the most part form no bond, no cords.

To each their own. And I did not say that monogamy did not happen in Native American culture nor did I say that monogamy is a repressed European form of sexuality. Read again.

But millions if not billions have suffered by false judgement, beatings, invoking of shame, women thrown out of the house for being pregnant, false modesty,
    incest, rape, and anything you can think of under the 'christian' domain in their control of sexuality. Remember catholic women are requried to produce children historically. Puritan women were not permitted to show pleasure during sex. For many women sex has been a terrifying event under the rule of their husbands according to Chrisitan dictates. Many women could not even talk of mensturation, even amongst themselves and if they tried to take any control over conception they could be burned as a witch or thrown out of the church.

Many people who have 'teflon' sexuality really have deep sexual issues... preventing them from having a deep relationships.

As I said, I did not experience what happened over at Harleys.. but I do know a good bit about their sexuality teachings. In general I think that they are good.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

DNA (12th December 2012), Mark (13th December 2012), seko (12th December 2012)

33. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I respect what your saying here Arrowwind, and if any of this proved to be good for you and or folks you have met more power to them.
    But as for myself I found it kind of creepy.
    Just my take.
    Last edited by DNA; 14th December 2012 at 10:34.

34. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Well as you said. Your take on sexuallity is really simple.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

DNA (12th December 2012)

36. Link to Post #19
    Canada Avalon Member Daughter of Time's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,705 times in 1,092 posts

Regardless of the BS which some seem to find, I'm a huge fan of Castaneda's books also. They were the first I read which pointed to a reality which was outside my frame of reference.
    Initially, they read like fiction, but eventually the spoke more and more loudly to me, at a level that no books had spoken to me before. Whenever I meet someone who mentions and likes Castaneda's books, we always end up connecting as this means we understand different realities than what is experienced in the average life.
    Last edited by Daughter of Time; 12th December 2012 at 04:35.

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Daughter of Time For This Post:

bram (12th December 2012), DNA (12th December 2012), Fred Steeves (12th December 2012), Hervé (12th December 2012), Mark (13th December 2012), onawah (14th December 2012)

38. Link to Post #20
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,963 times in 3,187 posts

Quote Posted by RMorgan (here)
    Hi Raf, looking back on the years I was voraciously devouring books, it was like a free for all of trying on new clothes, or new shoes. Something strikes the eye, try it on, check out how it looks in the mirror, walk around a bit, you know the deal. And you know what? It was fun too! (LOL)

I think by the time I joined Avalon I was "wearing" just about ALL of those ideas and concepts, all at the same time. But then it got kind of hot shortly after, and it was hard to move about freely as well, so it was time to start shedding some layers. Most of those ideas and concepts went straight to the burn pile, but not Castaneda's writings, along with a couple of select others. Regardless of how full of bullspit Castaneda may have been, the warrior's way teachings are that pair of shoes that fit naturally and comfortably. It's not just a concept any more, I try to live it.

So I think that's a good test of whether a book has validity or not, try it on and see how it feels.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast