+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engineering / Designing For Dummies: The Bitch List

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,807 times in 613 posts

Default Engineering / Designing For Dummies: The Bitch List

<sigh> Engineers / designers ... jeez, could there be a more moronic group than these dudes?

I'd like to apologize in advance to any engineer / designer -- mechanical and all -- who may be a part of this forum and who may actually engineer / design very good products / things. If you do good work, then know that your work is appreciated.

But if you do shoddy engineering / design, there's a special place in hell for you!

I have no doubt that many here in this forum have encountered things that were engineered / designed by morons with lower IQs than that idiot shrub who once occupied the White House, so I'm inviting those of you who encounter idiot designs to bitch about them in this thread.

Here's my first item on this Bitch List: handles on beds.

Now, most of you have moved beds before, right? So when you move a bed, do you hold the damn thing(s) horizontally, like it is when you sleep on it, holding the handles on the sides of it?

No, you turn the bed vertically and carry it that way so that you can go through, what ... what's the narrow-assed things that are placed all over the house that are a bit wider than the thread of a needle? Doorways! That's what.

Now, most people sleep on queen-sized beds now...

http://simplystated.realsimple.com/2.../22/bed-sizes/

... do the poll on that site and see that the queen, king and California king bed sized comprise a full 80% of the bed sizes that often need to be moved when one moves.

Memo to engineers / designers: queen beds are around 80 inches wide ... doorways are around 30 inches wide ... bad match!

Moving a twin bed vertically is relatively easy, as one can grip the bottom of the bed with one hand while balancing the bed with the other as one walks through those narrow-assed things called doorways that are generally around 30 inches wide; moving a full-sized bed is more problematic for most people, except strong people.

And moving a heavy, high-quality queen-sized bed or bigger? Eff'n fugetabout it!

And why? When the bed(s) are placed vertically, can you reach those bloody, damn handles that are "conveniently" placed on the sides of the bed? Hell, no!

Are there ever any handles -- like TWO of them -- placed on the ends of the beds where they REALLY are needed when you are moving the bed(s) vertically to get through those narrow-assed doorways?

But noooooooo, those engineers / designers never, ever think of what people deal with in real life when they move beds! There are never any handles on any beds that I've ever moved and I've moved a ton of beds over a bunch of decades -- my own and others -- with nary a handle on the ends of the beds.

I've looked at new beds a few years ago and didn't find a single model that had any bloody handles on the frick'n ends of the beds. WTF? Is there a law that bans handles on the ends of beds? A grand, plus for a bed that is sans handles on the ends? Are you kidding me?

So that's my #1 bitch of the day -- the lack of handles on the ends of beds!

/rant

Feel free to rant with your own observations of things that are designed by morons -- surely there's tons of them out there.

~Mozart
    Last edited by Mozart; 29th December 2012 at 03:12.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mozart For This Post:

bram (29th December 2012), Eram (29th December 2012), Flash (30th December 2012), ghostrider (29th December 2012), modwiz (29th December 2012), mosquito (29th December 2012), sdv (29th December 2012), Sidney (29th December 2012), Spiral (29th December 2012), taurad (29th December 2012), Tesla_WTC_Solution (29th December 2012), TOTHE (29th December 2012), witchy1 (29th December 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,922 times in 4,417 posts

Default Re: Engineering / Designing For Dummies: The Bitch List

LOW FLOW TOILETS- designed to SAVE WATER, BUTT (lol) you have to flush it 4 times to get one turd down, now how much water saving ability is that????ARGGGGGGGGG

Also, cars that LOCK YOU IN, after you're in it for 2 minutes. If the car went over a bridge and into a body of water, you are trapped!!!!!! HATE THAT!!!

Complicated thermostats. need I say more?

So thats 3 bitches in one post, hope i'm not disqualified for that. LOL

p.s. I totally agree with your bed bitch. : )

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

Eram (29th December 2012), Flash (30th December 2012), modwiz (29th December 2012), mosquito (29th December 2012), Spiral (29th December 2012), taurad (29th December 2012), Tesla_WTC_Solution (29th December 2012), TOTHE (29th December 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 times in 256 posts

Quote Posted by Mozart (here)
    <sigh> Engineers / designers ... jeez, could there be a more moronic group than these dudes?

I'd like to apologize in advance to any engineer / designer -- mechanical and all -- who may be a part of this forum and who may actually engineer / design very good products / things. If you do good work, then know that your work is appreciated.

But if you do shoddy engineering / design, there's a special place in hell for you!

I have no doubt that many here in this forum have encountered things that were engineered / designed by morons with lower IQs than that idiot shrub who once occupied the White House, so I'm inviting those of you who encounter idiot designs to bitch about them in this thread.

Here's my first item on this Bitch List: handles on beds.

Now, most of you have moved beds before, right? So when you move a bed, do you hold the damn thing(s) horizontally, like it is when you sleep on it, holding the handles on the sides of it?

No, you turn the bed vertically and carry it that way so that you can go through, what ... what's the narrow-assed things that are placed all over the house that are a bit wider than the thread of a needle? Doorways! That's what.

Now, most people sleep on queen-sized beds now...

http://simplystated.realsimple.com/2.../22/bed-sizes/

... do the poll on that site and see that the queen, king and California king bed sized comprise a full 80% of the bed sizes that often need to be moved when one moves.

Memo to engineers / designers: queen beds are around 80 inches wide ... doorways are around 30 inches wide ... bad match!

Moving a twin bed vertically is relatively easy, as one can grip the bottom of the bed with one hand while balancing the bed with the other as one walks through those narrow-assed things called doorways that are generally around 30 inches wide; moving a full-sized bed is more problematic for most people, except strong people.

And moving a heavy, high-quality queen-sized bed or bigger? Eff'n fugetabout it!

And why? When the bed(s) are placed vertically, can you reach those bloody, damn handles that are "conveniently" placed on the sides of the bed? Hell, no!

Are there ever any handles -- like TWO of them -- placed on the ends of the beds where they REALLY are needed when you are moving the bed(s) vertically to get through those narrow-assed doorways?

But noooooooo, those engineers / designers never, ever think of what people deal with in real life when they move beds! There are never any handles on any beds that I've ever moved and I've moved a ton of beds over a bunch of decades -- my own and others -- with nary a handle on the ends of the beds.

I've looked at new beds a few years ago and didn't find a single model that had any bloody handles on the frick'n ends of the beds. WTF? Is there a law that bans handles on the ends of beds? A grand, plus for a bed that is sans handles on the ends? Are you kidding me?

So that's my #1 bitch of the day -- the lack of handles on the ends of beds!

/rant

Feel free to rant with your own observations of things that are designed by morons -- surely there's tons of them out there.

~Mozart
    Hey Mozart, give us poor engineers a break! Here's an exercise for you- take a look around you (assuming you're in a house) and see if you can count how many things you have that have the benefit of being designed by people. It's quite staggering to see how much thought and design has gone into our world. Even the components of all the things you have have been separately designed to fit together to make something useful.............

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bram For This Post:

buckminster fuller (29th December 2012), Eram (29th December 2012), Flash (30th December 2012), modwiz (29th December 2012), Mozart (30th December 2012), Möbius (30th December 2012), Tesla_WTC_Solution (29th December 2012), Tesseract (29th December 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

here's one, they build huge complexes for apartments, but never allow for moving trucks to easily roll in and out of the parking lot that has less spaces than number of units... I see it all the time. beautiful structures , state of the art , but try and drive a Uhaul truck in and somewhere close to your front door then your furniture doesn't fit in the designer door 36 inches, how many times that sofa just needed two inches on each side and boom it rolls right in without jargen from the mrs about scuffing her new couch....
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Eram (29th December 2012), Flash (30th December 2012), modwiz (29th December 2012), Mozart (30th December 2012), Tesla_WTC_Solution (29th December 2012), TOTHE (29th December 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member TOTHE's Avatar
    Thanks

Engineers when they design a machine start by hanging a screw or nut by a thread from the ceiling then build the whole machine around it.

You will discover this screw or nut when you try to remove it. You will either strip the head with your screwdriver or break the nut off with with the wrench. Then you have to go through the agony of drilling, countersink, blow torch, chisel, ball-peen hammer (Kentucky speed-wrench) or extreme cases with a blacksmiths maul.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TOTHE For This Post:

Eram (29th December 2012), Flash (30th December 2012), Hervé (29th December 2012), Mozart (30th December 2012), Tesla_WTC_Solution (29th December 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

finger chopping revolving doors are a waste of space and don't really save the 30 cents from opening the real door.

there has to be an easier way to cut most vegetables and meat other than sawing with a knife and fork; aren't there some better food dicers around so when you cut your kids steak it doesn't take half an hour.

panty hose that tear the first time you drag them up your ass/thighs
    those fail. fingers punch through. lmao
    and i am not currently a fat ugly one

tables with glass that you can actually fall through make me nervous, like an aquarium ceiling over my head.
    especially coffee tables. those don't need to have glass tops imo.

elevators.
    why don't we just go to hell in a handbasket instead of a metal hearse? makes me claustrophobic and it invented a whole expensive line of elevator contractors we don't need.

cars. they suck. they kill. they are dirty and expensive.
    where are the mothereffing blimps.. oh yeah they were buried with hitler somewhere.

...my list is long, maybe i should be a manufacturing engineer. @.@

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,038 times in 1,437 posts

How about the stuff that is engineered by people with a low EQ instead of a low IQ?

Printers that are designed to last only 2 years for instance. I even heard that they have built in chips to give an error that can't be undone after an amount of time (not sure if this is actually correct).

Then... when you try to do a little repair service to it, you find yourself blocked by screws that no mortal men has a fitting screwdriver for LOL

people are so devious and cunning when it comes to making money.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Eram For This Post:

Art (29th December 2012), bram (29th December 2012), Flash (30th December 2012), Hervé (29th December 2012), Mozart (30th December 2012), Spiral (29th December 2012), TOTHE (29th December 2012)

14. Link to Post #8
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

the economization of human life is the great sin of modern man!

15. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,548 times in 833 posts

Handles on the ends of beds to help with moving them - what a briliant idea Mozart! I've moved many beds and it is so frustrating, and painful when the darn thing slips out of your hands and drops onto your exposed feet.

Desk with folding legs would also be good. Wheels on items such as fridges, stoves and washing machines are a must.

Couches always present the biggest problem. Remember that scene from the Douglas Adams book about the couch stuck on a landing? It was one of the Dirk Gently novels.

In my present home, I've removed all doors and frames for internal doorways so once I get a large item through the front door, it's a piece of cake to move it from room to room. I have found a wonderful feel of freedom by living without doors inside my home.
    Sandie
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. (Carl Sagan)

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sdv For This Post:

bram (29th December 2012), Eram (29th December 2012), Flash (30th December 2012), Mozart (30th December 2012)

17. Link to Post #10
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,438 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by Wakytweaky (here)
    Printers that are designed to last only 2 years for instance. I even heard that they have built in chips to give an error that can't be undone after an amount of time (not sure if this is actually correct).
    Some color printer ink cartridge replacements have built in timer chips. If you've got one of these cartridges, and it is over X years old ... it no longer works ... regardless of how much ink is left in it.

See, for example HP Ink Expiration

This is in part a way to make money, obviously, but it is also a technology problem. The inks used in some ink jet cartridges aren't stable for a long time.

I've not seen any laser printers or cartridges, color or black/white, with such timers.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Art (29th December 2012), Eram (29th December 2012), Flash (30th December 2012), Mozart (30th December 2012), Spiral (29th December 2012)

19. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by starchild111 (here)
    LOW FLOW TOILETS- designed to SAVE WATER, BUTT (lol) you have to flush it 4 times to get one turd down, now how much water saving ability is that????ARGGGGGGGGG
    Low flow toilets- that one's easy to fix. Can I recommend a vegan diet?
    Last edited by bram; 29th December 2012 at 08:44.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bram For This Post:

Eram (29th December 2012), Mozart (30th December 2012)

21. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TOTHE (here)
    ball-peen hammer (Kentucky speed-wrench).
    He he, I like that one. Where I grew up we called it a Manchester Screwdriver.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bram For This Post:

Eram (29th December 2012), Flash (30th December 2012), Mozart (30th December 2012), TOTHE (29th December 2012)

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)
    here's one, they build huge complexes for apartments, but never allow for moving trucks to easily roll in and out of the parking lot that has less spaces than number of units... I see it all the time. beautiful structures , state of the art , but try and drive a Uhaul truck in and somewhere close to your front door then your furniture doesn't fit in the designer door 36 inches, how many times that sofa just needed two inches on each side and boom it rolls right in without jargen from the mrs about scuffing her new couch....
    You can always take out your windows, winch your furniture up the side of the building and swing it in. See? Engineers always find a solution!!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bram For This Post:

Eram (29th December 2012), Mozart (30th December 2012)

25. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,739 times in 1,371 posts

Bram:
    Quote You can always take out your windows, winch your furniture up the side of the building and swing it in
    ......errrrm assuming the building has a winch !!

I have many many peeves, and over my life have witnessed the deterioration in quality of virtually all manufactured goods. My pet hates are :

Toilet paper that disintegrates in your hand if you use less than 3 sheets of it together (why the f*ck to the morons continue buying it ?)

Gel pens (rather than biros). They last about 6 weeks, whereas the last biro I bought (can't get them in China) lasted me 5 years !

Shoe soles that become lethal when in contact with a wet surface (is this one really beyond our ability to get right ?)

and equally, pavements/sidewalks made of material which impersonates ice whenever it rains (ditto)

Perforated packaging which tears anywhere you like except the bloody perforations.

Nasty scratchy labels on the inside of clothes, stitched on with sharp nylon thread.

Zips which keep coming undone (a Chinese speciality)

Virtually ANYTHING made in China. Everything falls apart within days. Again I can't figure out their incompetence - they can make things out of bamboo and paper, just not any other material.

And top prize, probably my nomination for the "let's find the bastard responsible for this and hang him" award goes to .....

Sticky labels which are impossible to remove.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mosquito For This Post:

aniN (29th December 2012), bram (30th December 2012), Eram (29th December 2012), Flash (30th December 2012), Gekko (30th December 2012), Mozart (30th December 2012), Sidney (29th December 2012), ulli (29th December 2012)

27. Link to Post #15
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Clam shell packaging

28. Link to Post #16
    France Avalon Member buckminster fuller's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,878 times in 475 posts

guns.... Design is an architectonic discipline, it therefore is a mirror to society. Society today is anchored in consumerism and capitalism. As long as there will be retarded people to buy stuff they don't need, and as long as profit remains the goal for makers, we'll see programmed obsolescence and cultural abuses. Don't blame the designer, blame the collectivity of which we're all a part. It's not like there is only this area of activity that is lacking ethics.

but the sh....est modern design is guns, no doubt... ask north american indians
    Last edited by buckminster fuller; 29th December 2012 at 12:16.
    life is design

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to buckminster fuller For This Post:

bram (30th December 2012), Eram (29th December 2012), Flash (30th December 2012), mosquito (30th December 2012), Mozart (30th December 2012)

30. Link to Post #17
    Ilie Pandia

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Some color printer ink cartridge replacements have built in timer chips. If you've got one of these cartridges, and it is over X years old ... it no longer works ... regardless of how much ink is left in it.

This is in part a way to make money, obviously, but it is also a technology problem. The inks used in some ink jet cartridges aren't stable for a long time.

I've not seen any laser printers or cartridges, color or black/white, with such timers.
    Ah, you've touched upon something I wanted to write.

Most of the poor design is not the engineer's fault

It is caused by planned redundancy, and that is caused by chasing higher and higher profit.

"Grow or die" is the mantra in today's economy.

So this poor design is rather a symptom of something else.

31. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ilie Pandia For This Post:

Art (29th December 2012), bram (30th December 2012), Eram (29th December 2012), Flash (30th December 2012), mosquito (30th December 2012), Mozart (30th December 2012), Sidney (29th December 2012), Spiral (29th December 2012), ThePythonicCow (29th December 2012)

32. Link to Post #18
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,922 times in 4,417 posts

Quote Posted by Ilie Pandia (here)
    Quote Posted by Paul (here)

It is caused by planned redundancy, and that is caused by chasing higher and higher profit.

I think this may also be a possibility with cell phones, and laptops. Max 2 years, and bang, they are obsolete or broken. I remember back in the day paying 6 dollars a month phone bill, with a phone in every room in the house. Now people spend literally hundreds monthly for a cell. They get us addicted to the technology and they have us in the palm of their hands for life.

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

Art (29th December 2012), Flash (30th December 2012), mosquito (30th December 2012), Mozart (30th December 2012), Spiral (29th December 2012)

34. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,320 times in 994 posts

Quote Posted by Ilie Pandia (here)

As a 'design engineer'... this is the crux of the Whole problem - designed obsolescence. I remember reading about a GM executive (I think it was in the mid 60's) that was asked as to why they kept changing the car bodies every year. His answer, to paraphrase, was that they did so, so that it would make the consumer want a New car with the latest style, almost as soon as he got used to his 'new car'. And, as far as automobiles are concerned, as well as Every other item, is that they Know how long each part will last, and can predict when it will need replacing.

One product I was designing for, used large, medium-duty truck chassis for carrying mobile equipment. Typically, the equipment, due to it's particular use, would, or, could last 20 years with maintenance... but the truck chassis typically wore out after 5 to 7 years, due to it's daily / continual use.

Yes... Higher profit, with less and less cost to produce said product - that is the mantra of 'upper management'.

This is the paradigm that needs to end. Soon.

In Unity, Peace and Love

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kindred For This Post:

Art (29th December 2012), bram (30th December 2012), Flash (30th December 2012), mosquito (30th December 2012), Mozart (30th December 2012)

36. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,741 times in 1,499 posts

Well, all this woolly mumbo jumbo stuff about about "spiritual enlightenment" and "raised vibration levels" post 21 December 2012 would be put to better use if we now stared DEMANDING better-made and repairable products!

I mean, if I can buy a made-in-China toaster for five UK pounds or a 'better' one for 50 UK pounds, does the 50 pound one use ten times more materials, ten time more energy or ten times more skilled engineers to make it? Of course not! But if it lasted 10 times longer and was repairable, I'd buy it.

The trouble is, this crap is rapidly assembled (mostly by machines) out of flimsy materials to be cheap. It's not fixable, I know cos I tried to take my faulty toaster apart to fix it. Nearly got it right apart, only to be defeated by two spot welds at the last moment! They could have used ****ing screws! But hey, chuck it out and buy another £4.99 pile of crap.

I guess it could be argued that this mentality is not feasible with modern digital equipment that really does rapidly evolve and improve - though do we REALLY need the latest i-pad every six months?

But washing machines, toasters, kettles, vacuum cleaners etc. reached their design peaks decades ago surely. Let's pay to have them have them built to last and to be repaired like in the old days - please!

We just can't go on digging minerals out of the ground, using huge amounts of energy to make them into cheap consumer tat and chucking them back into land fill 18 months later, when with only a little extra engineering effort these things could be built to last and last. (Sorry Capitalism...)

Regards,

Nick

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

bram (30th December 2012), Flash (30th December 2012), mosquito (30th December 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast