+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A New Question about Composing Electronic Music with Solfeggio Frequencies

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Avalon Member Bassplayer1's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,046 times in 264 posts

Default A New Question about Composing Electronic Music with Solfeggio Frequencies

Hello! I've been reading a really interesting thread on this site about Solfeggio frequencies which was started back in 2010 and hasn't had any more replies since 2011.
    I'm glad I saw this thread as I have a question and thought I'd better do a new post as time has passed ...

I make electronic music and have so far been able to change the tuning in my software from 440Hz to 443Hz as per the short tutorial on Youtube with Dr. Leonard Horowitz, and I've also discovered how to create the actual frequencies themselves as sine waves to blend into the mix ... but here's my question ... my understanding is that John Lennon, Bob Marley, and Jimi Hendrix have recorded tracks using the 528Hz frequency (but not just as a tone running in the background of course!) and I'm aware that there are a small number of current artists recording all their material in this frequency as well as a label 528 records for artists who only use this frequency ... how does one create a whole song tuned as 528 rather than just having a generated tone/wave running in the background? Logic Pro doesn't seem to be able to tune above or below a certain parameter. Are there any musicians - especially electronica musicians who know how this is achieved please? Logic will let me re-tune from 440Hz to 443Hz in tuning preferences but I have no idea how one can be confident of ensuring all the contents of the track are tuned in harmony to the one frequency. Does any of this make sense? confused? Me too! My understanding is that guitarists can get a set of Solfeggio tuning forks which I guess would allow them to tune each string with each fork? But how does this apply to DAW software and synthesizers? I'm stumped (or hopefully overlooking something really simple!!)
    I am happy to exchange any info others may be interested in with this subject. I'm trying to do as much research as I can about this so anything I learn I am happy to pass on. Thank you for any help.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bassplayer1 For This Post:

AwakeInADream (11th January 2013), noxon medem (11th January 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    Music
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 times in 423 posts

Default Re: A New Question about Composing Electronic Music with Solfeggio Frequencies

So what we cant see means little to some souls on this planet.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Axman For This Post:

AwakeInADream (11th January 2013), Bassplayer1 (9th January 2013), meeradas (11th January 2013), noxon medem (11th January 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,127 times in 3,536 posts

Default Re: A New Question about Composing Electronic Music with Solfeggio Frequencies

Hey mate,

The standard format is A(La)=440Hz...Your software will output your mastered songs in that form.

Then, just use a pitch shifter plugin (probably your software have a native pitch shifter), to make the songs 4Hz higher and then save the songs again.

The standard tuning is based on A=440Hz. The Solfeggio tuning is based on A=444Hz, which gives, approximately, a C=528Hz.

If you have a good hardware, then you could apply the pitch shifter in real time while doing live presentations, putting it on the end of the effects chain of your master channel. You must have good hardware for it, otherwise you´ll have annoying problems with latency.

By the way, using guitarists as an example, they don´t tune the whole song to 528Hz...They just change the basic tuning, which is the A=440Hz, to 444Hz, then re-tune the strings accordingly, in relation to each other (They don´t even need a set of six different tuning forks lol)...So, only the C Major chord will be tuned to 528Hz.

Or, as a guitarist, one has the freedom to tune the whole guitar into a C major open chord tuning, in 528Hz. Good for slide playing and drone like songs, but bad if you have lots of complex chords changes.

Lots of guitarists who like to experiment with different tunings have different guitars already set up differently, with different regulations and different sets of strings.

Many electronic tuning gadgets allow you to change the A tuning to several different frequencies. I use the A=432Hz for my string instruments when I´m playing alone.

However, when I´m playing with friends, I tune it back to 440Hz, otherwise, it would be very complicated to make everyone re-tune their instruments just because I have an odd taste for musical frequencies, specially when I´m playing with brass, woodwind and piano players, who have no option to re-tune their instruments.

I never liked the Solfeggio tuning much, the A=444Hz. I´d rather use A=432Hz when I can.

Raf.
    Last edited by RMorgan; 9th January 2013 at 14:45.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RMorgan For This Post:

AwakeInADream (11th January 2013), Bassplayer1 (9th January 2013), meeradas (11th January 2013), noxon medem (11th January 2013)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,913 times in 540 posts

Here's a track I made using the Solfeggio frequencies:https://soundcloud.com/awakeinadream...ones-trying-to

I did this a few years back using sine waves. The frequencies don't sound good together and leave very few harmonic choices.

I do like A=444 but it's not strictly solfeggio because it only gives you one of the frequencies (528). Although 528Hz is the best one in my opinion.

When you convert the color spectrum into sound A=444 gives you a yellow which the standard 440 tuning misses,
    and on a guitar it sounds brighter and makes the strings tighter so they don't fall out of tune. A=432 tends to go out of tune quicker.

Lately when working with different frequencies I have been using the free software 'Viena' which lets you create your own soundfonts using samples.

Also there is the free plugin 'ZynAddSubFX' which (in the scales tab) lets you set A to anything you like, and also create non standard tunings for each note.
    (if you want to try microtonal tunings with this plugin I can help you with the cent values)

(There is also a much simpler way to tune any plugin to A=444 by adjusting the cent value up by 15.67)

Keep experimenting!

Have a look at my thread if you haven't already seen it:
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post578459
    Maybe you could post some of your results there

EDIT:

Here's a link that tells you how the Solfeggio frequencies were originally found in the Bible's book of numbers:
    http://www.soulsofdistortion.nl/SODA_chapter11.html
    The story seems a little suspect to me, but I still like 528Hz on its own.
    Last edited by AwakeInADream; 11th January 2013 at 13:21.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AwakeInADream For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (14th January 2013), meeradas (11th January 2013), noxon medem (11th January 2013), RMorgan (11th January 2013)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 times in 496 posts

Nice thread , and idea to play around with the musical
    and sounds and beats and frequencies .

On the way, on the wave ...

Name:  guitar on waves.JPG
Views: 352
Size:  47.0 KB

Also
    Found this tool, or toy .., via refenced links from here.
    - Audacity :
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/?lang=nb
    "free, open source, cross-platform software
    for recording and editing sounds"

Thank you , and may all be well .

-

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noxon medem For This Post:

AwakeInADream (11th January 2013), Bassplayer1 (14th January 2013)

11. Link to Post #6
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    where ever there is a smile, ill be there :-)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,412 times in 1,702 posts

I suppose if you tune the root key of the song to the frequency then all the scales you use within it will be harmonising to that frequency.

Say for example using a basic blues progression in key of C. If you were to tune your C to 528 then automatically the rest of the instrumentation, provided you use the same sampler or keyboard for the nstrumentation, will be n resonance in symbotc frequencies of. 528

These are called harmonics i think.

12. Link to Post #7
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    where ever there is a smile, ill be there :-)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,412 times in 1,702 posts

Quote Posted by AwakeInADream (here)
    Here's a track I made using the Solfeggio frequencies:https://soundcloud.com/awakeinadream...ones-trying-to

I did this a few years back using sine waves. The frequencies don't sound good together and leave very few harmonic choices.

I do like A=444 but it's not strictly solfeggio because it only gives you one of the frequencies (528). Although 528Hz is the best one inl my opinion.

When you convert the color spectrum into sound A=444 gives you a yellow which the standard 440 tuning misses,
    and on a guitar it sounds brighter and makes the strings tighter so they don't fall out of tune. A=432 tends to go out of tune quicker.

Lately when working with different frequencies I have been using the free software 'Viena' which lets you create your own soundfonts using samples.

Also there is the free plugin 'ZynAddSubFX' which (in the scales tab) lets you set A to anything you like, and also create non standard tunings for each note.
    (if you want to try microtonal tunings with this plugin I can help you with the cent values)

(There is also a much simpler way to tune any plugin to A=444 by adjusting the cent value up by 15.67)

Keep experimenting!

Have a look at my thread if you haven't already seen it:
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post578459
    Maybe you could post some of your results there

EDIT:

Here's a link that tells you how the Solfeggio frequencies were originally found in the Bible's book of numbers:
    http://www.soulsofdistortion.nl/SODA_chapter11.html
    The story seems a little suspect to me, but I still like 528Hz on its own.
    Your tune was very cute, it made me smile :-)

Naniu

13. Link to Post #8
    Canada Avalon Member Bassplayer1's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,046 times in 264 posts

Thank you for your reply and including lots of links! I'm looking forward to hearing your music.
    Check out

http://seanluciw.com/VSTis.php

as this guy has created a free Ancient Solfeggio VST plug-in which is very good apparently ... The only snag being that its only for PCs and not Mac ... Sigh ... That would have been the answer! Never mind.
    I have since learned that to create music with the Solfeggio scale you have to literally re-tune each individual key on the synth. This is where it gets tricky. I'm using Logic and have been trying to create a User Scale of the Solfeggio notes in the Tuning Preferences window by adjusting the cents in each note but Logic doesn't really seem to like this and it only lets me change some of the notes and not all of them. It has been suggested to me that I may need to use a sampler and create each note that way ... logic has its own built in sampler ... But again ... You can spend forever trying to figure out what to do .... But, I'm hoping you may have come to the rescue with the link zynaddsubfx. I've been using Audacity to create actual sine waves of each frequency and experimenting with Binaural tones ... But to find a program allowing you to adjust turnings would be excellent - let's hope it works on Mac! Thank you for your help. As soon as I get any answers I'll post them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bassplayer1 For This Post:

AwakeInADream (14th January 2013)

15. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,913 times in 540 posts

I think zynaddsubfx will work on a mac (is OS X the Mac OS?), but if it doesn't I think you can get a free version of 'Linux MultiMedia Studio' for the Mac and that has zynaddsubfx built into it.

Failing that there are some Mac microtonal plugins on this page:http://www.huygens-fokker.org/microt...ftware_en.html
    and here:http://www.linplug.com/alpha.html

I hope you get 'up and running' soon!

EDIT: Just noticed that in the second link for FreeAlpha,
    the free version doesn't have microtonal support, but the full version does. Spoilsports

Anyway, keep searching for micro-tonal plugins. 'Micro-tonal' is the key word.
    Last edited by AwakeInADream; 15th January 2013 at 23:18.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AwakeInADream For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (21st January 2013), Nanoo Nanoo (17th January 2013)

17. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member xbusymom's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 times in 396 posts

I recently came across this info... and The solfeggio tones sounded like the perfect answer to my quest to use healing tones to create background music for my videogame I am developing... I even was going to create a virtual piano from scratch and set the solfeggio tones to the keys in order to be able to make songs from them... but alas the intensive 2 week research mission ended with nothing short of mass brainfog... the only thing I found that made any real sense was this guy... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfftTrmhhzo from the article on Blisscodedsound blog (here http://blisscodedsound.blogspot.com/...r-reality.html).

I am not sure if there is zero information on the solfeggio scales (short of the one Dr. Horowitz long article that has been regurgitated and spread between the 6 or so websites still active with this info) because it is disinfo, or if it is because THEY are pulling all the info/videos and not allowing this info out to the public... or maybe it is not about music at all...
    see this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOFPkTeqOTA

so... that being said... is there anyone who knows of SOME healing music scale or genre/chordings which could be used in my videogame?

+ Reply to Thread