+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4

Thread: Any Compulsive Gamers/Gamblers Here? Share Your Recovery Stories <<PLEASE>> :)

1. Link to Post #61
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

Default Re: Any Compulsive Gamers/Gamblers Here? Share Your Recovery Stories <<PLEASE>> :)

My last big years of WoW were as a "solo" player, DD.
    Something (rude people? lol!) caused me to lose interest in belonging to a guild,
    but even the loss of access to raiding content did not overpower my addiction to WoW.

I think when I experienced the Cata expansion and heard that the next one was already coming out,
    it got a lot less fun. I mean, 3 expansions behind, and I don't even know how to play my class anymore.

We log in maybe 5 times a month now, if that. I don't know what it is that makes it hard to just throw it all away.
    Maybe because it accentuates the size of the hole in my life made by the addiction.

Right now, gambling is the real baddie.
    A person can lose everything they have in only a few days!

2. Link to Post #62
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Default Re: Any Compulsive Gamers/Gamblers Here? Share Your Recovery Stories <<PLEASE>> :)

Quote Posted by Tesla_WTC_Solution (here)
    My last big years of WoW were as a "solo" player, DD.
    Something (rude people? lol!) caused me to lose interest in belonging to a guild,
    but even the loss of access to raiding content did not overpower my addiction to WoW.

I think when I experienced the Cata expansion and heard that the next one was already coming out,
    it got a lot less fun. I mean, 3 expansions behind, and I don't even know how to play my class anymore.

We log in maybe 5 times a month now, if that. I don't know what it is that makes it hard to just throw it all away.
    Maybe because it accentuates the size of the hole in my life made by the addiction.

Right now, gambling is the real baddie.
    A person can lose everything they have in only a few days!
    I was a heavy wow player for a while (actually I have played MMORPG's since 1995, when I beta tested Ultima Online & it was "down hill" since then) I've played a lot of titles however; I think the "first love" is the hardest to give up, now I can play casually with little issue and do it as a family thing (cheap entertainment, social interaction etc..)

Since we live in a fractal reality there are no wasted activities, you just have to look for the lessons in what you are currently engaged in. I'm currently sitting at work sick & thinking on how it is a lesson in perseverance (the ONLY thing I want to do is go home and curl up in a ball, but being uncomfortable at this moment is worth it to me for what I gain from it, which ties into previous studies on a "no pain no gain" theory I've been batting around lately).

you know yourself and your relationship, you will either overcome gambling or have to avoid it (for some things I choose to just completely avoid, the desire is still there but it grows muted and insignificant with time, I imagine this is what it's like to be an alcoholic in recovery, though I do not know.) Gambling might be a good one to avoid due to the risk involved.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Tesla_WTC_Solution (11th June 2013), wolf_rt (8th August 2013)

4. Link to Post #63
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

We've lost thousands of dollars in 2 months.

We could almost be on TV reality show about gambling lol

For people in horrible stressful transitions, gambling seems like a "homey, comfortable, fun, normalizing" thing to do.
    What it really does is mess up your emotions, makes you impatient and envious of others, and desperately sick afterwards when you realize,
    that money could have paid a month's rent in Walla Walla.

We did pay 5 grand in owed child support too, which took at least 1/4 of our liquid money away,
    but the rest of the expenses were excessive food, motels, beer, gambling, etc.

It's almost like we are afraid to take care of ourselves by committing to ownership of actual items,
    like kids who are afraid the bullies will take their toys away if they actually own something...

gambling makes your life feel pointless.
    it's fun for a few minutes and miserable for months or years!

I really hate that some of the people in my family are into gambling and that i didn't know what an addict i could become.
    Some people overextend because they are desperate to "win their money back",
    and when that happens you don't even get to play the game for very long,
    because your money has already been spent at a high bet and there is nothing left to do but rage about it.

@@

listening to the other people talk is sobering though,
    for example this really annoying kid at the bar commented on his spending limit in the context of how much my husband and I managed to gamble in front of him.

we act like high rollers but we are practically homeless.

please pray that someone rents to us this week!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Link to Post #64
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I wanted to share a detail of the gambling issue with some friends here.

My spouse oversaw the loss of over forty thousand dollars, about half or more of which we gambled,
    Since December.

That is more money than I made in my best year in the air force.

What would you do at the point he started asking his dad to cover his losses?

My father in law is almost homeless himself.

How can a relationship survive self entitlement?

6. Link to Post #65
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 times in 254 posts

Hi Tesla,

Thinking of you with love and compassion. May both of you find peace.

Love
    C
    Life is what it is. How you perceive it creates your reality.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Carolin For This Post:

Tesla_WTC_Solution (27th July 2013)

8. Link to Post #66
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

We have been drinking too much lately. Yet another arm of the octopus.

9. Link to Post #67
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Tesla_WTC_Solution (here)
    We have been drinking too much lately. Yet another arm of the octopus.
    sounds like you tend to lean toward excess;

have you watched this video?

the brain is a muscle, self reflection and self analysis is a very important exercise; one that can help you to guide your life with more conscious control instead of random reacting.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Tesla_WTC_Solution (9th August 2013)

11. Link to Post #68
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Hi Tesla-WTC-Solution I'm new here but I have followed many of your post and my heart goes out to you and your son. I understand you have some family issues but do you have any good friends that you might confide in? Someone that will be there for you when you need help. I know It might be easier to talk to people you don't really know personally but it's always better to have that big hug from a friend. Best of luck to you.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camper For This Post:

21CC (28th August 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (23rd August 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4