+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: To have, give all to all (ACIM/ A Course in Miracles)

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,454 times in 3,085 posts

Default To have, give all to all (ACIM/ A Course in Miracles)

Every now and then I like to open the book to a random page and see how pertinent it is to my current situation. It is akin to tarot or I Ching in its mechanism. As usual, it was spot on for me. Today, I felt this might enlighten others as well.

ACIM, Capter 6 A

When your body and your ego and your dreams are gone, you will know that you will last forever. Perhaps you think this is accomplished through death, but nothing is accomplished through death, because death is nothing. Everything is accomplished through life, and life is of the mind and in the mind. The body neither lives nor dies, because it cannot contain you who are life. If we share the same mind, you can overcome death because I did. Death is an attempt to resolve conflict by not deciding at all. Like any other impossible solution the ego attempts, it will not work.

God did not make the body, because it is destructible, and therefore not of the Kingdom. The body is the symbol of what you think you are. It is clearly a separation device, and therefore does not exist. The Holy Spirit, as always, takes what you have made and translates it into a learning device. Again as always, He reinterprets what the ego uses as an argument for separation into a demonstration against it. If the mind can heal the body, but the body cannot heal the mind, then the mind must be stronger than the body. Every miracle demonstrates this.

I have said that the Holy Spirit is the motivation for miracles. He always tells you that only the mind is real, because only the mind can be shared. The body is separate, and therefore cannot be a part of you. To be of one mind is meaningful, but to be one body is meaningless. By the laws of mind, then, the body is meaningless.

To the Holy Spirit, there is no order of difficulty in miracles. This is familiar enough to you by now, but it has not yet become believable. Therefore, you do not understand it and cannot use it. We have too much to accomplish on behalf of the Kingdom to let this crucial concept slip away. It is a real foundation stone of the thought system I teach and want you to teach. You cannot perform miracles without believing it, because it is a belief in perfect equality. Only one equal gift can be offered to the equal Sons of God, and that is full appreciation. Nothing more and nothing less. Without a range, order of difficulty is meaningless, and there must be no range in what you offer to your brother.

The Holy Spirit, Who leads to God, translates communication into being, just as He ultimately translates perception into knowledge. You do not lose what you communicate. The ego uses the body for attack, for pleasure and for pride. The insanity of this perception makes it a fearful one indeed. The Holy Spirit sees the body only as a means of communication, and because communicating is sharing it becomes communion. Perhaps you think that fear as well as love can be communicated; and therefore can be shared. Yet this is not so real as it may appear. Those who communicate fear are promoting attack, and attack always breaks communication, making it impossible. Egos do join together in temporary allegiance, but always for what each can get separately. The Holy Spirit communicates only what each one can give to all. He never takes anything back, because He wants you to keep it. Therefore, His teaching begins with the lesson:

To have, give all to all.

This is a very preliminary step, and the only one you must take for yourself. It is not even necessary that you complete the step yourself, but it is necessary that you turn in that direction. Having chosen to go that way, you place yourself in charge of the journey, where you and only you must remain. This step may appear to exacerbate conflict rather than resolve it, because it is the beginning step in reversing your perception and turning it right-side up. This conflicts with the upside-down perception you have not yet abandoned, or the change in direction would not have been necessary. Some remain at this step for a long time, experiencing very acute conflict. At this point they may try to accept the conflict, rather than take the next step, however, they will be helped. Once they have chosen what they cannot complete alone, they are no longer alone.
    Last edited by Ernie Nemeth; 16th February 2013 at 13:05.
    If not now, then when?

2. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Beren (20th February 2013), ceetee9 (22nd February 2013), conk (14th August 2013), DeDukshyn (21st February 2013), eaglespirit (15th August 2013), Eram (22nd February 2013), eva08 (13th August 2013), Fred Steeves (17th February 2013), GloriousPoetry (20th February 2013), greybeard (16th February 2013), Hermite (17th February 2013), jagman (16th February 2013), johnf (16th February 2013), Lalaji (13th August 2013), Lifebringer (16th February 2013), meeradas (17th February 2013), Orph (16th February 2013), Reinhard (17th February 2013), Rich (16th February 2013), shadowstalker (16th February 2013), Shamz (23rd February 2013), Sidney (16th February 2013), The Arthen (16th February 2013), ulli (20th February 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,846 times in 7,694 posts

Default Re: To have, give all to all (ACIM/ A Course in Miracles)

Thanks Ernie---A course in Miracles is a very profound book.
    The daily lessons are second to none.

" When you take up a position know that your identifying with an illusion"

That from the book is a constant reminder to me not to take my point of view too seriously.
    The ego of course wants to be right and in order to be right it makes others wrong.

"Im the one, I know---you of course don’t---I’m the authority etc. That's typical ego.
    Its so subtle you might not even notice that the me is causing problems.
    ACIM gets you over your self

One of the daily statements/affirmations. "I want to know the truth"
    In other words I want to see things as they really are without egoic concepts, the truth shorn of belief systems etc,
    The ego could stand for Edge God Out, its a separatist device. (Duality)
    The course goes along way to help remove duality--transcend the ego

Chris
    A charity to help African Children become self sufficient. :attention:

http://www.learningtoolsforselfdevelopment.co.uk/

Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

ceetee9 (22nd February 2013), conk (20th February 2013), DeDukshyn (21st February 2013), Eram (22nd February 2013), Ernie Nemeth (17th February 2013), Fred Steeves (17th February 2013), Hermite (17th February 2013), jagman (17th February 2013), johnf (16th February 2013), Orph (16th February 2013), peterpam (5th April 2019), Reinhard (17th February 2013), Rich (16th February 2013), Shamz (23rd February 2013), Wind (17th February 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

What a powerful passage.....
    ACIM if looked upon as a pathway to non dualism is one of the deepest things I have encountered....

Thank you for this!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nomatic For This Post:

DeDukshyn (21st February 2013), Eram (22nd February 2013), Ernie Nemeth (17th February 2013), Fred Steeves (17th February 2013), greybeard (16th February 2013), johnf (16th February 2013)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,637 times in 721 posts

The book(s) and the lessons are all free online I am currently on lesson 7.

By the way does anyone know who is behind the book?

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Post:

DeDukshyn (21st February 2013), Eram (22nd February 2013), Ernie Nemeth (17th February 2013), johnf (16th February 2013), Orph (16th February 2013)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Thanks Ernie.
    This is a signature.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Arthen For This Post:

Eram (22nd February 2013), Ernie Nemeth (17th February 2013), johnf (16th February 2013)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by EmEx (here)

Hi EmEx

A Course in Miracles, Combined Volume, Third Edition as published by
    Foundation for Inner Peace.
    Author(s) Helen Schucman

A Course in Miracles (ACIM) is a book that aims to assist its readers in achieving spiritual transformation. The book describes a purely non-dualistic philosophy of forgiveness and includes what are meant to be practical lessons and applications for the practice of forgiveness in daily life. The introduction to the book contains the following summary, "Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists. Herein lies the peace of God."[1]

Helen Schucman wrote the book with the help of William Thetford, although it does not identify them as authors, based on what she called an "inner voice" which she identified as Jesus.[2][3] The 1992 edition, the most recent copyrighted one, is published by the Foundation for Inner Peace (FIP), the organization chosen by Schucman for this purpose. It consists of preface, text, workbook for students, manual for teachers (including clarification of terms), and two supplements. Kenneth Wapnick and Foundation for A Course in Miracles (FACIM) were awarded the copyright to this edition after the original copyright was overturned. This edited version earned copyright status since it derives from the original manuscript as edited by Wapnick. FIP reports that two million volumes of ACIM have been published and disseminated worldwide since it first became available for sale in 1976. Additionally, the book has been translated into nineteen different languages with eight new translations underway as of 2008.[4][5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Course_in_Miracles

Chris

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

DeDukshyn (21st February 2013), Eram (22nd February 2013), Ernie Nemeth (17th February 2013), johnf (16th February 2013), Rich (16th February 2013)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member johnf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,157 times in 1,088 posts

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    Quote Posted by EmEx (here)

Hi EmEx

A Course in Miracles, Combined Volume, Third Edition as published by
    Foundation for Inner Peace.
    Author(s) Helen Schucman

A Course in Miracles (ACIM) is a book that aims to assist its readers in achieving spiritual transformation. The book describes a purely non-dualistic philosophy of forgiveness and includes what are meant to be practical lessons and applications for the practice of forgiveness in daily life. The introduction to the book contains the following summary, "Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists. Herein lies the peace of God."[1]

Helen Schucman wrote the book with the help of William Thetford, although it does not identify them as authors, based on what she called an "inner voice" which she identified as Jesus.[2][3] The 1992 edition, the most recent copyrighted one, is published by the Foundation for Inner Peace (FIP), the organization chosen by Schucman for this purpose. It consists of preface, text, workbook for students, manual for teachers (including clarification of terms), and two supplements. Kenneth Wapnick and Foundation for A Course in Miracles (FACIM) were awarded the copyright to this edition after the original copyright was overturned. This edited version earned copyright status since it derives from the original manuscript as edited by Wapnick. FIP reports that two million volumes of ACIM have been published and disseminated worldwide since it first became available for sale in 1976. Additionally, the book has been translated into nineteen different languages with eight new translations underway as of 2008.[4][5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Course_in_Miracles

Chris
    An amazing book, set of books really.
    This is the story as I remember it.
    Helen Schucman had a voice speak to her.
    It identified itself as Jesus.
    It would dictate whatever portion of the book she was able to write down at any given time.
    This continued until it was finished.
    Helen was a psychologist, with a P.H.D., and asked that her role as author not be revealed until after her death.
    I can imagine!
    This work seems gives a lot of died in the wool standard christians a bridge to the non-duality view of life.
    It was an extremely rough experience for me because it seemed to stir up every thing that exists between my physical body existence, and the "Heaven" it describes.

What appears to be a direct experience of this "Heaven" or "Great Central Sun", that occurred in the middle of an lsd trip in 1972, was triggered in my by reading this book.
    Having a lot of difficulty with this experience, and wondering why I couldn't just let it be what it was, I went to the friend of mine that suggested the course to me and told him about my troubles with it.
    After trying some suggestions such as just let that experience go, and so forth he decided to just read a particular section of the book to me, and I had another experience of this "Heaven" as who I really was, and as my real origin.
    Which seemed to take me completely outside of time.
    When it ended, I stopped him, and we discussed my experience for a while.
    It was interesting but it didn't really solve anything for me, other than to know that the basic message in the book
    had something very real in it and explained how some of the phrases struck me as absolute truths beyond anything I had ever experienced before.
    Trying to fit my experiences of this greater reality into my everyday life goes on today and, as a part of that I am watching the Dolores Cannon video and hearing mention of this central sun thing again, and the phenomenon of feeling like I need to go back there, as well as the depression others have felt concerning thier lives here. I find comfort and encouragement to continue on and smile as often as I can becuase of the immensity and value of this greater task.
    Thank you Ernie for starting this thread.
    Also let me repeat my favorite qoute from the work,
    "Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.
    Herein lies the peace of God."
    When I looked that up I was delighted to see it was used in the introduction.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to johnf For This Post:

DeDukshyn (21st February 2013), Eram (22nd February 2013), Ernie Nemeth (17th February 2013), Fred Steeves (17th February 2013), greybeard (16th February 2013), Inaiá (9th April 2019), Reinhard (17th February 2013), Rich (16th February 2013)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

I went to a study group at the Findhorn Foundation for a few years.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the company of like minded souls--- I may go back this summer.
    Debating the lessons really did me the world of good.
    It seemed that every week something happened in life that gave me the opportunity to practice at least one of the lessons.
    ACIM is extremely practical and saw me through quite a few trying situations.

Chris

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

DeDukshyn (21st February 2013), Eram (22nd February 2013), Ernie Nemeth (17th February 2013), Fred Steeves (17th February 2013), Inaiá (9th April 2019), johnf (20th February 2013), Ol' Roy (17th February 2013)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Ah, Greybeard, old friend, nice to see you. Hi Nomatic, Emex, The Arten, and John F, likewise.

Greybeard pretty much answered the questions posed, thanks Chris. ACIM doesn't usually get responses, so I am again surprised and grateful. Nice to know others are of this inclination. I no longer do the exercises but have been through them all twice - and read the book front to back at least five times. That does not make me an expert, rather, it shows I might be a bit of a slow learner at times. Still, the book is full of so much wisdom it is hard not to refer back to it in times of need. And for me, this is one of those times. Funny, every time I read from the book I wonder how I missed that point or the other. The truth is that there is a depth to this book and it is always pertinent no matter what level you might be on.

I posted this thread in the general topics section for a reason but, alas, it was moved and the point lost on the general audience I wished to reach. Oh well, just goes to show you the error of having an agenda. This was only a lead in to the real section I wished to quote for those others I wanted to reach. I wonder what would hapopen if I posted again in the general section?

Never mind, I will not burden those who wish to have their fun. But I will post that other part here so that those that need to see it will find it. It is not for me to decide. I'll leave that to the HS.

Peace to all.
    If not now, then when?

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

DeDukshyn (21st February 2013), Eram (22nd February 2013), Fred Steeves (17th February 2013), greybeard (17th February 2013), johnf (20th February 2013), markpierre (17th February 2013), Rich (17th February 2013)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Ernie,

I never read the ACIM. That's because I've always been a rebel. I had many friends at the time reading it, so I heard about it and watched them. It didn't resonate with me at the time. But that first post there, well, I felt that so I thank you for sharing.

Across the miles..
    Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
    Franklin P. Jones

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hermite For This Post:

Eram (22nd February 2013), Ernie Nemeth (17th February 2013), Fred Steeves (17th February 2013), greybeard (17th February 2013), johnf (20th February 2013)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Hermite (here)
    Ernie,

I never read the ACIM. That's because I've always been a rebel. I had many friends at the time reading it, so I heard about it and watched them. It didn't resonate with me at the time. But that first post there, well, I felt that so I thank you for sharing.

Across the miles..
    My pleasure, my friend - closing the distance.

Hearts
    If not now, then when?

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Eram (22nd February 2013), Fred Steeves (17th February 2013), greybeard (17th February 2013), johnf (20th February 2013)

23. Link to Post #12
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,448 times in 1,312 posts

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    Quote Posted by Hermite (here)
    Ernie,

Across the miles..
    My pleasure, my friend - closing the distance.

Hearts
    Thanks for that reminder Ernie. I spent so much time laboring through that text that I bled 'Course' quotes for years. Eventually I took Jesus' advice
    and 'threw the book away', but not until I recognized how fundamentally it had changed me.

It's useful for me to pass along some hard won insight to anyone interested or casually picking up the book.
    The 'change of mind' occurs through doing the workbook. The lessons themselves. The rest is lovely concepts, but nothing more useful than that.
    There are instruction in the front of the workbook and you have to read them. Hermite sums it up beautifully, the human mind is in a state of rebellion.
    I'm sure her friends discovered that as well, even in their efforts.
    I did the 'one year course' three times before I ever read the instructions. So there's the clue. I'd accomplished nothing. Then I did it again, and again, and again,
    but because it's such a masterpiece. You don't really 'do' the Course, the Course 'does' you.

Thanks again mate.
    Last edited by markpierre; 17th February 2013 at 02:45.

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to markpierre For This Post:

DeDukshyn (21st February 2013), Eram (22nd February 2013), Ernie Nemeth (17th February 2013), Fred Steeves (17th February 2013), greybeard (17th February 2013), Hermite (17th February 2013), Inaiá (9th April 2019), johnf (20th February 2013), Rich (17th February 2013)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Quote You don't really 'do' the Course, the Course 'does' you.
    Great way of putting it, MarkPierre, thanks.

Yes indeed, and the course says as much. Once you begin you will finish, the time it takes depends only on your willingness - or your resistance.
    If not now, then when?

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

DeDukshyn (21st February 2013), Eram (22nd February 2013), Fred Steeves (17th February 2013), greybeard (17th February 2013), Inaiá (9th April 2019), johnf (20th February 2013), markpierre (17th February 2013), Rich (17th February 2013)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,637 times in 721 posts

Quote Posted by markpierre (here)

There are instruction in the front of the workbook and you have to read them.
    What do you mean with instructions? This?

http://acim.org/workbook_lesson_intro.html

People might find this book from Christ helpful:

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?55602-Christ-s-Way

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Post:

Eram (22nd February 2013), greybeard (17th February 2013), johnf (20th February 2013), markpierre (17th February 2013)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Since there is power in threes, I will post another excerpt from the course before I get to the one I originally intended. Just a quick note, I am not hunting through the text to find the best quote, I simply open it to wherever and that’s it. To be honest, I did not open it to this passage but the one that follows, but it is the longest passage in the book and I do not want to bog down this thread or intimidate people with such a long post. So, this post is the preceding entry:

ACIM, Chapter 21, Introduction

Projection makes perception. The world you see is what you gave it, nothing more than that. But though it is nothing more than that, it is not less. Therefore, to you it is important. It is the witness to your state of mind, the outside picture of an inward condition. As a man thinketh, so does he perceive. Therefore, seek not to change the world, but choose instead to change your mind about the world. Perception is a result and not a cause. And that is why order of difficulty in miracles is meaningless. Everything looked upon with vision is healed and holy. Nothing perceived without it means anything. And where there is no meaning, there is chaos.

Damnation is your judgment on yourself, and this you will project upon the world. See it as damned, and all you see is what you did to hurt the Son of God. If you behold disaster and catastrophe, you tried to crucify him. If you see holiness and hope, you joined the Will of God to set him free. There is no choice that lies between these two decisions. And you will see the witness to the choice you made, and learn from this to recognize which one you chose. The world you see but shows you how much joy you have allowed yourself to see in you, and to accept as yours. And, if this is its meaning, then the power to give it joy must lie within you.
    If not now, then when?

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

DeDukshyn (21st February 2013), Eram (22nd February 2013), greybeard (18th February 2013), johnf (20th February 2013), Rich (20th February 2013)

31. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,178 times in 2,882 posts

I often do the same thing, just open up the book and see what is revealed. Any page, any day, and you'll find something profoundly interesting. Truly a remarkable book.

We gave one to the kid's music teacher, a devout Christian. I told her the history and that it may well be directly from Jesus. Over the many weeks since giving the gift, I note that it has not moved from the original spot on her shelf. Sadly, she only believes the Bible contains any worthwhile information. To me, the language of ACIM is more accessible than the convoluted narrative of the Bible.

Thanks for this thread! Who says channeled material is of no value?!
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Eram (22nd February 2013), Ernie Nemeth (20th February 2013), greybeard (20th February 2013), johnf (20th February 2013), Rich (20th February 2013)

33. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    I often do the same thing, just open up the book and see what is revealed. Any page, any day, and you'll find something profoundly interesting. Truly a remarkable book.

We gave one to the kid's music teacher, a devout Christian. I told her the history and that it may well be directly from Jesus. Over the many weeks since giving the gift, I note that it has not moved from the original spot on her shelf. Sadly, she only believes the Bible contains any worthwhile information. To me, the language of ACIM is more accessible than the convoluted narrative of the Bible.

Thanks for this thread! Who says channeled material is of no value?!
    Hi Conk
    Both Dr David Hawkins and Eckhart Tolle quote ACIM and validate it.
    Hawkins was part of setting up "Attitudinal healing centres" based on ACIM--he maintained that many disorders were cured through study of the work.

http://blessyourhearts.blogspot.co.u...rinciples.html

12 Principles of Attitudinal Healing - by Gerald Jampolsky, MD - based on A Course In Miracles

1. The essence of our being is love.
    2. Health is inner peace.
    3. Healing is letting go of fear.
    4. Giving and receiving are the same.
    5. We can let go of the past and of the future.
    6. Now is the only time there is and each instant is forgiving.
    7. We can learn to love ourselves and others by forgiving rather than judging.
    8. We can become love finders rather than fault finders.
    9. We can choose and direct ourselves to be peaceful inside regardless of what is happening outside.
    10.We are students and teachers of each other.
    11. We can focus on the whole of life rather than the fragments.
    12. Since love is eternal death need not be viewed as fearful.
    12a.We can always perceive ourselves and others as either extending love or giving a call for help.

Chris

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

conk (21st February 2013), DeDukshyn (21st February 2013), Eram (22nd February 2013), Ernie Nemeth (20th February 2013), Inaiá (9th April 2019), johnf (20th February 2013), Rich (20th February 2013)

35. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Well, I should have known better than to have an agenda. Totally forget what I had intended to quote and I moved the bookmark so that’s that. Let me just open the book at random then...

Chapter 18, VII: I Need Do Nothing

You still have too much faith in the body as a source of strength. What plans do you make that do not involve its comfort or enjoyment in some way? This makes the body an end and not a means in your interpretation, and this always means you still find sin attractive. No one accepts Atonement for himself who still accepts sin as his goal. You have thus not met your one responsibility. Atonement is not welcomed by those who prefer pain and destruction.

There is one thing that you have never done; you have not utterly forgotten the body. It has perhaps faded at times from your sight, but it has not yet completely disappeared. You are not asked to let this happen for more than an instant, yet it is in this instant that the miracle of Atonement happens. Afterwards you will see the body again, but never quite the same. And every instant that you spend without awareness of it gives you a different view of it when you return.

At no single instant does the body exist at all. It is always remembered or anticipated, but never experienced just now. Only its past and future make it seem real. Time controls it entirely, for sin is never wholly in the present. In any single instant the attraction of guilt would be experienced as pain and nothing else, and would be avoided. It has no attraction now. Its whole attraction is imaginary, and therefore must be thought of in the past or in the future.

It is impossible to accept the holy instant without reservation unless, just for an instant, you are willing to see no past or future. You cannot prepare for it without placing it in the future. Release is given you the instant you desire it. Many have spent a lifetime in preparation, and have indeed achieved their instants of success. This course does not attempt to teach more than they learned in time, but it does aim at saving time. You may be attempting to follow a very long road to the goal you have accepted. It is extremely difficult to reach Atonement by fighting against sin. Enormous effort is expended in the attempt to make holy what is hated and despised. Nor is a lifetime of contemplation and long periods of meditation aimed at detachment from the body necessary. All such attempts will ultimately succeed because of their purpose. Yet the means are tedious and very time consuming, for all of them look to the future for release from a state of present unworthiness and inadequacy.

Your way will be different, not in purpose but in means. A holy relationship is a means of saving time. One instant spent together with your brother restores the universe to both of you. You are prepared. Now you need but to remember you need do nothing. It would be far more profitable now merely to concentrate on this than to consider what you should do. When peace comes at last to those who wrestle with temptation and fight against the giving in to sin; when the light comes at last into the mind given to contemplation; or when the goal is finally achieved by anyone, it always comes with just one happy realization; “I need do nothing.”

Here is the ultimate release which everyone will one day find in his own way, at his own time. You do not need this time. Time has been saved for you because you and your brother are together. This is the special means this course is using to save you time. Save time for me by only this one preparation, and practice doing nothing else. “I need do nothing” is a statement of allegiance, a truly undivided loyalty. Believe it for just one instant, and you will accomplish more than is given to a century of contemplation, or of struggle against temptation.

To do anything involves the body. And if you recognize you need do nothing, you have withdrawn the body’s value from your mind. Here is the quick and open door through which you slip past centuries of effort, and escape from time. This is the way in which sin loses all attraction right now. For here is time denied, and past and future gone. Who needs do nothing has no need for time. To do nothing is to rest, and make peace within you where the activity of the body ceases to demand attention. Into this place the Holy Spirit comes, and there abides. He will remain when you forget, and the body’s activities return to occupy your conscious mind.

Yet there will always be this place to rest to which you can return. And you will be more aware or this quiet center of the storm than all its raging activity. This quiet center, in which you do nothing, will remain with you, giving you rest in the midst of every busy doing on which you are sent. For from this center will you be directed how to use the body sinlessly. It is this center, from which the body is absent, that will keep it so in your awareness of it.
    If not now, then when?

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Beren (20th February 2013), DeDukshyn (21st February 2013), Eram (22nd February 2013), greybeard (20th February 2013), Inaiá (9th April 2019), johnf (20th February 2013), Rich (21st February 2013)

37. Link to Post #19
    Mexico On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 times in 370 posts

To have , give all to all....so simple....the more I remember the simplicity of such teachings the deeper meaning life has for me. Thank you!

where abundance lives is where I want to be like the treasure of Monte Cristo buried until affirmed that Spirit is where everything comes to fulfill its terms.
    Sublimating that push in life that gives you the rhythmic experience of living despite it all.........

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GloriousPoetry For This Post:

DeDukshyn (21st February 2013), Eram (22nd February 2013), Ernie Nemeth (21st February 2013), johnf (20th February 2013)

39. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member johnf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,157 times in 1,088 posts

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    Well, I should have known better than to have an agenda. Totally forget what I had intended to quote and I moved the bookmark so that’s that. Let me just open the book at random then...

Chapter 18, VII: I Need Do Nothing

You still have too much faith in the body as a source of strength. What plans do you make that do not involve its comfort or enjoyment in some way? This makes the body an end and not a means in your interpretation, and this always means you still find sin attractive. No one accepts Atonement for himself who still accepts sin as his goal. You have thus not met your one responsibility. Atonement is not welcomed by those who prefer pain and destruction.

There is one thing that you have never done; you have not utterly forgotten the body. It has perhaps faded at times from your sight, but it has not yet completely disappeared. You are not asked to let this happen for more than an instant, yet it is in this instant that the miracle of Atonement happens. Afterwards you will see the body again, but never quite the same. And every instant that you spend without awareness of it gives you a different view of it when you return.

At no single instant does the body exist at all. It is always remembered or anticipated, but never experienced just now. Only its past and future make it seem real. Time controls it entirely, for sin is never wholly in the present. In any single instant the attraction of guilt would be experienced as pain and nothing else, and would be avoided. It has no attraction now. Its whole attraction is imaginary, and therefore must be thought of in the past or in the future.

It is impossible to accept the holy instant without reservation unless, just for an instant, you are willing to see no past or future. You cannot prepare for it without placing it in the future. Release is given you the instant you desire it. Many have spent a lifetime in preparation, and have indeed achieved their instants of success. This course does not attempt to teach more than they learned in time, but it does aim at saving time. You may be attempting to follow a very long road to the goal you have accepted. It is extremely difficult to reach Atonement by fighting against sin. Enormous effort is expended in the attempt to make holy what is hated and despised. Nor is a lifetime of contemplation and long periods of meditation aimed at detachment from the body necessary. All such attempts will ultimately succeed because of their purpose. Yet the means are tedious and very time consuming, for all of them look to the future for release from a state of present unworthiness and inadequacy.

Your way will be different, not in purpose but in means. A holy relationship is a means of saving time. One instant spent together with your brother restores the universe to both of you. You are prepared. Now you need but to remember you need do nothing. It would be far more profitable now merely to concentrate on this than to consider what you should do. When peace comes at last to those who wrestle with temptation and fight against the giving in to sin; when the light comes at last into the mind given to contemplation; or when the goal is finally achieved by anyone, it always comes with just one happy realization; “I need do nothing.”

Here is the ultimate release which everyone will one day find in his own way, at his own time. You do not need this time. Time has been saved for you because you and your brother are together. This is the special means this course is using to save you time. Save time for me by only this one preparation, and practice doing nothing else. “I need do nothing” is a statement of allegiance, a truly undivided loyalty. Believe it for just one instant, and you will accomplish more than is given to a century of contemplation, or of struggle against temptation.

To do anything involves the body. And if you recognize you need do nothing, you have withdrawn the body’s value from your mind. Here is the quick and open door through which you slip past centuries of effort, and escape from time. This is the way in which sin loses all attraction right now. For here is time denied, and past and future gone. Who needs do nothing has no need for time. To do nothing is to rest, and make peace within you where the activity of the body ceases to demand attention. Into this place the Holy Spirit comes, and there abides. He will remain when you forget, and the body’s activities return to occupy your conscious mind.

Yet there will always be this place to rest to which you can return. And you will be more aware or this quiet center of the storm than all its raging activity. This quiet center, in which you do nothing, will remain with you, giving you rest in the midst of every busy doing on which you are sent. For from this center will you be directed how to use the body sinlessly. It is this center, from which the body is absent, that will keep it so in your awareness of it.
    My experience in reading this thread today started with realizing that the quote "To have give all to all" was my least favorite quote. I spent a lot of time trying to reconcile that, with little success. Ernie's post above served to point to my attachment to, and my belief in the power of the body. The All to all statement brings up belief in limitation perhaps?
    And my minds obessions seem to stem from trying to deny and escape from those beliefs, and result in laying more limitations on top of it.
    This thought stream is similar to Scott Kiloby's talks about the idea of an inadequate self, weak self ,unlovable self, being the core of belief in separation.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johnf For This Post:

Eram (22nd February 2013), Ernie Nemeth (21st February 2013), greybeard (20th February 2013), Rich (21st February 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast