+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Zealand in a Lucky Crib!

1. Link to Post #21
    Australia Avalon Member bennycog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 times in 971 posts

Default Re: New Zealand in a Lucky Crib!

You have to stop at the spieghts (beer)factory in Dunedin. and the chocolate factory. There is even a ghost castle to check out there..
    And check out fox glacier and visit the cool underground waterways via car tube in greymouth, while watching the glow worms overhead.. and yes Milford sound is magical..
    Highest bungee in the world at Queenstown..
    Could go on, there is so much to take in at the land o the long white cloud..

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bennycog For This Post:

etheric underground (19th February 2013), KiwiElf (20th February 2013), Tane Mahuta (20th February 2013), TelosianEmbrace (19th February 2013), Timreh (13th March 2013), witchy1 (20th February 2013)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Sounds like a wonderful nature filled trip. Congrats. I've had my eyes on the Equadorian, until recent geological issues. Now I think, its great to do a little archealogical research. Have a great trip and post lots of pics, okay. I love this stuff.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

TelosianEmbrace (19th February 2013)

5. Link to Post #23
    New Zealand Avalon Member Carmen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,527 times in 1,560 posts

Great that you are heading to New Zealand. You are welcome to park up at my farm on your journey South. I'm in North Otago, not that far from Mt Cook ( our highest mountain). Good luck for your trip. Message me if you wish to come and stay here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Carmen For This Post:

TelosianEmbrace (20th February 2013)

7. Link to Post #24
    Australia Avalon Member TelosianEmbrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,491 times in 539 posts

Quote Posted by etheric underground (here)
    Brother...Ill be home in a week. And my incentive is always the same.... get a car, drive and let the closest you will ever come to mother earth nurture you and take you where your meant to be... have a couple of ideas in concrete and for a portion of your time....GET LOST ...and let the outdoors of gaias best secret flow through you bro!!!!
    YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHEN YOU STAND IN ALL HER GLORY AND BREATHE ....
    I hear you, brother. Most important of all will be to feel the land, and to hear her voice. I have realised how unhealthy living in society makes us. When I came back from my trip around Australia I was healthy and tanned- now I am white, have dark rings under my eyes, and other complaints. Let us hope Gaia touches me with her magic once again.

Quote Great that you are heading to New Zealand. You are welcome to park up at my farm on your journey South. I'm in North Otago, not that far from Mt Cook ( our highest mountain). Good luck for your trip. Message me if you wish to come and stay here.
    Carmen, thank you for your kind offer. It would be an honour to visit you and park up at your farm for a night. I don't have a firm itinerary yet, but the possible dates I would be passing by would be in the vicinity of the 15th to 19th April. Happy to message you a bit further down the track.

Thanks again,
    Guy

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TelosianEmbrace For This Post:

Carmen (20th February 2013), etheric underground (20th February 2013)

9. Link to Post #25
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Quote Posted by bennycog (here)
    You have to stop at the spieghts (beer)factory in Dunedin. and the chocolate factory. There is even a ghost castle to check out there..
    Hahahahah ROFLMAO :D Awesome Benny

10. Link to Post #26
    New Zealand Avalon Member daddy fishwick's Avatar
    Thanks

Hello my friend! I'ts great to hear that you are lucky enough to be visiting Aotearoa! You will not be dissapointed (guaranteed). Should you end up in my neck of the woods, Taranaki, then you are more than welcome to park up at my farm, which is situated close to the base of Mount Taranaki.
    Some of the cleanest rivers in the world meander through here and it's just 30 minutes to the mountain to begin your ascent, should you choose to. Thirty minutes to the ocean, with some magnificent diving, snorkeling and fishing available and 40 minutes to the Wanganui national reserve, a national reserve untouched for thousands of years, it's a real hidden gem! Please feel free to pm me, all the best, Mike

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daddy fishwick For This Post:

KiwiElf (20th February 2013), TelosianEmbrace (20th February 2013), Timreh (9th April 2013), witchy1 (20th February 2013)

12. Link to Post #27
    New Zealand Avalon Member Tane Mahuta's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,565 times in 726 posts

Well ok, I will mention a place close to my heart.

Name:  Tane_Mahuta.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  58.6 KB

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec...e-mahuta-walk/

http://register.notabletrees.org.nz/tree/view/800

http://www.newzealand.com/int/tane-mahuta/

Also there is a site in NZ called "TradeMe.co.nz", it's our version of "ebay".

It has a lot of "kiwiana" NZ things, with a NZ perspective. One can also find

indegenous atifacts also. cheaper than one would find in the tourist stores.

Name:  retina-kev.gif
Views: 104
Size:  14.5 KB

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Default.aspx

nuff said

TM

enjoy!!!
    "Seek the Truth.....and the Truth shall set you free!!!"

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tane Mahuta For This Post:

etheric underground (20th February 2013), KiwiElf (21st February 2013), TelosianEmbrace (21st February 2013), Timreh (9th April 2013), witchy1 (13th March 2013)

14. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Hi guys, thanks for some great suggestions! I'm looking them all up one by one and will probably have some questions for some of you about certain locations as the days go by. I particularly want to get up to Kaimanawa Wall and film and photograph it- certainly an intriguing site that looks more like the work of an ancient giant race than the typical pre-Maori Celtic works.... The access road is dirt, and it looks like trees sometimes fall over the road.

Maybe I'll see a Moa, or a Moehau, a giant lizard or even the otter-like waitoreke? It is also said that moose were released many years ago and there might still be a breeding population in the Dusky Sound area. More at Tony Lucas' site www.nzcryptozoology.ucoz.com

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TelosianEmbrace For This Post:

Timreh (9th April 2013)

16. Link to Post #29
    New Zealand Avalon Member torti's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool Re: New Zealand in a Lucky Crib!

Ahhh what fun times ahead for you! New Zealand is a beautiful country with amazing scenery and culture. 13 days does not seem long enough.

Before I start I should add, I have never done diving, so none of my recommendations will include that, but just in case... I hope you can enjoy some of these places...

I spent a year traveling the South Island in my van (Pic's attached), and I did 19,500km and was still not able to see everything!

I will leave out the North Island in my recommendations, as I am biased, and believe the South Island, as a more "wild" and "natural" experience. The South Island, to me, has a sense of power.

Firstly I will comment on Freedom Camping, which is now pretty much illegal in NZ (Thanks to trying to make more money while the Rugby World Cup was held here).

See: http://www.newzealandnz.co.nz/green-...e-camping.html

Basically some councils, will deliberately hunt out freedom campers to fine you (Queenstown being the worst in my experience).

If your camper van has a self sustainable toilet (it will have a green triangle sticker on the back), you can legally freedom camp in any area not within 500m of a backpackers, holiday park, hotel etc You are also restricted from camping within 50m of a river, stream, beach etc.

But you will find in the South Island, most places are so isolated, you will not get picked on, as long as you don't leave litter/waste behind, people in the South Island are a lot more accepting and welcoming of tourists than the North Island.

In the year I traveled the South Island, I only paid to camp a few times (maybe 10 times in total)... which, yes, was illegal, but whatever, nature belongs to no-one and I didn't disrespect my environment. But my recommendation, if you are not after luxury is DOC (Department of Conservation) campsites, they are cheap, have toilets and water, all the basics you require.

See here for a list of DOC campgrounds... they are pretty much everywhere:
    http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec...tes-by-region/

Most people seem to be captivated by the East Coast of the South Island, but in my opinion, most of the East Coast is similar, all the beaches look the same etc, with the exception of the Christchurch Peninsula and the Otago Peninsula (Near Dunedin). If you wish to see seals, sea lions, penguins (mostly the rare yellow-eyed penguin), then you must go and see the Catlins (East of Invercargil and South of Balclutha), beautiful beaches (in summer you can surf with dolphins), an ancient fossil forest, and the yellow eyed penguins (at sunset is best).

In the Golden Bay area, I would recommend 2 main things, firstly, Howard Hole on the Takaka Hill between Motueka and Takaka: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harwood_Hole Just before you get to the Hole, there will be a branch off walkway, if you have the time check that out too, I promise you will not be disappointed (hope you are not afraid of heights!). The second, is Wharariki Beach, this place is like a scene out of Jurassic Park, you must go at low tide, and give yourself a few hours to explore the caves and huge rocks, you may even see baby seals! http://www.newzealand.com/int/articl...cape-farewell/

As you head to the West Coast from the Golden Bay/Marlborough regions, you could make a trip up to Karamea (an hour North from Westport on the West Coast). A dreamy little town (one road in and out... dead end), it is the start (or end... depending on where you start) and NZ's most popular great walk (about 4 days). http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec.../heaphy-track/. Anyway, if you go to Karamea, my biggest recommendations is to stay at Rongo's backpackers (Eco-freindly, self sustainable, permaculture based learning/teaching environment) http://rongobackpackers.com/. The best 5 weeks of my trip were spent in Karamea! If you can, stop in at the Global Gypsy Gallery in Karamea (and tell Gerar I say hello!)

As you head south along the coast, stop at a place called Fox river Caves (12km north of Punakaiki) , it is easy to miss, as there is pretty much nothing there, but some big caves on the beach, an old historic bridge, caves along the river with glow worms and a bush walk (2 hours one way if I recall correct) to a cave that goes 200m and is an amazing experience (Take a torch!) http://www.punakaiki.co.nz/walks/ - Scroll down to Fox River Caves.

If you are on the West Coast you cannot miss out the Glaciers, there is no way you could miss them.

Don't miss out the Hokitika Gorge!!!

As mentioned before, Wanaka and Queenstown are beautiful, but very touristy, so it depends on the experience you want. If you go to Queenstown, my top recommendation is the Routeburn Track http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec...uteburn-track/

I would highly recommend Milford Sound... and if you will camp overnight, I would suggest the Cascades Creek campground http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec...cascade-creek/. The only reason I say this one, is because if you walk along the river/creek, and if you have the right eyes, and you know what you are looking for, you will find Pounamu! I would advise, traveling as early in the morning as you can, as this area of NZ is always jam packed with busloads of tourists, so avoid them and leave early!

If you can, also do the Lake Marian Walk in Milford Sound, it is about a 3.5 hour walk one way, and it can be hard in parts, but well worth the effort.

If you can, drive the Lewis Pass Road, and Arthurs Pass Road, beautiful!

If you any questions please feel free to ask, my mind is over flowing with recommendations, and this is already turning into a novel!!

And now for some pictures!

Fox River, by the beach:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Fox River 1 300dpi.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	20785

Fox River Walkway to the Caves:

Name:	Fox River Walk 300dpi.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	20786

Hokitika Gorge:

Name:	Hokitika 300dpi.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	20787

Karamea: Start of Heaphy Track:

Name:	Karamea Heaphy Track 300dpi.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	20788

Lake Marian

Name:	Lake Marian 300dpi.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	20789
    Last edited by torti; 13th March 2013 at 07:25.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to torti For This Post:

KiwiElf (13th March 2013), leavesoftrees (14th March 2013), TelosianEmbrace (13th March 2013), Timreh (13th March 2013), witchy1 (13th March 2013)

18. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

Some more pictures!

Milford Sound:

Name:	Milford Sound 1 300dpi.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	20790

Routeburn Track:

Name:	Routeburn Track 300dpi.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	20791

Wharariki Beach:

Name:	Wharariki Beach 300dpi.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	20792

See more photo's here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7537630&type=3

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to torti For This Post:

TelosianEmbrace (13th March 2013), Timreh (13th March 2013), witchy1 (16th March 2013)

20. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

Those are some delightful images, torti! Certainly I would prefer more time there, but my boss suggested that I was lucky to get even two weeks! Perhaps the world event will occur while I'm touring NZ's South Island and I will subsequently have much more time there! My short sojourn will not hold a candle to your extensive travels, yet at least I will get a taste of that great country. I never realised until the last couple of months how much there is to see and do in NZ. It certainly is a majestic, powerful country!

One thing I am impressed by is incredible, blue water. For this reason I made sure I saw the Blue Holes while in the Solomon Islands and wish at some stage to explore the cenotes in Central America. So Hokitika Gorge is firming as a must see.

I am wondering, torti, if there were any spots where you had a profound spiritual experience, any spots that stood out for you on a personal level. I am sure that I am not the only one interested in hearing more about your journey.

Did I mention that two years ago I drove, dived and camped my way around Australia in my lowly Toyota Echo? Have you considered crossing the Tasman and taking a similar journey around Aus.?

PS. It will take me a while to go over all the links you have posted, and if I have any questions I will be sure to message you!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TelosianEmbrace For This Post:

Timreh (13th March 2013), torti (13th March 2013)

22. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TelosianEmbrace (here)
    Those are some delightful images, torti! Certainly I would prefer more time there, but my boss suggested that I was lucky to get even two weeks! Perhaps the world event will occur while I'm touring NZ's South Island and I will subsequently have much more time there! My short sojourn will not hold a candle to your extensive travels, yet at least I will get a taste of that great country. I never realised until the last couple of months how much there is to see and do in NZ. It certainly is a majestic, powerful country!

One thing I am impressed by is incredible, blue water. For this reason I made sure I saw the Blue Holes while in the Solomon Islands and wish at some stage to explore the cenotes in Central America. So Hokitika Gorge is firming as a must see.

I am wondering, torti, if there were any spots where you had a profound spiritual experience, any spots that stood out for you on a personal level. I am sure that I am not the only one interested in hearing more about your journey.

Did I mention that two years ago I drove, dived and camped my way around Australia in my lowly Toyota Echo? Have you considered crossing the Tasman and taking a similar journey around Aus.?

PS. It will take me a while to go over all the links you have posted, and if I have any questions I will be sure to message you!
    Ahh, yes Hokitika is beautiful, but be warned of the sand flies (little flies that bite and leave you itchy... which is actually almost all of the West Coast haha)

I felt a shift in myself throughout my whole trip in the South Island, I found anywhere I was surrounded by bush and nature, humbled and energized me. But most of all I would say Karamea. That was the place where I was first guided into being awake. I was surrounded by people talking about things I had never heard of before. I saw a softness in people, a love and a compassion, a lack of material possessions and an abundance of support. It is a community connected to the land from which it came.

Wow, I can imagine how it would take two years to get around Aussie, that place is huge!!

I am actually heading to Europe on 1st April for 2 years. The days are counting down and I am becoming so excited!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torti For This Post:

TelosianEmbrace (13th March 2013), Timreh (13th March 2013)

24. Link to Post #33
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,015 times in 215 posts

Gotta say after traveling Australia I never thought I would find anything so beautiful but the South Island of NZ well and truly took the cake, it was magical!
    Everyone has hit on the spots I would say plus more..

If you want your breath to be taken away visit Milford Sound (if you can muster enough pennies do one of the cruises to see it) ..
    Some of the landscape on the to MS reminded me of being lost somewhere in time, far far away
    Leave no stone unturned...

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timreh For This Post:

TelosianEmbrace (13th March 2013), torti (13th March 2013)

26. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

WooHoooo!!!!!

The first few days of my trip are done and dusted. Day one and I met up with KiwiElf, from here on PA, and Alec Newald. Alec, as many of you know, wrote the book 'Coevolution' about his experiences being taken on board a craft, meeting a race of ET's, and having them take him to their home planet of Haven. Alec had an incredible experience to do with a cult here in NZ, and I have it on video. At some stage, after his power of veto of an edited clip, it may go up on my youtube channel.

Both Alec and KiwiElf have had extreme persecution at the hands of the PTW, and are at the cutting edge of what is allowed to be divulged in this society, and what is not. Something else they both mentioned was sightings of craft being common around where they live, including orange orbs and red glowing balls. Alec showed us both a shot of what appears to be a PIXELLATED CLOUD with a hidden bell shaped UFO within it.

If KiwiElf is reading he is welcome to expand upon his sightings, or what he thought of Alec's 'cloud' UFO.

Dived the world class Poor Knights, some awesome scenery and fish life. Then up to pay a visit to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds and a look at the Bay of Isles.

Today I visited Tapapakanga Regional Park, which, according to Martin Doutre of www.celticnz.co.nz , shows the remains of a pre-Maori settlement.

Quote These solar observatories lie scattered over the length and breadth of New Zealand in whatsoever locations ancient pre-Maori people settled in sizeable numbers. They were very important for checking and regulating the calendar, to keep all planting and harvesting optimised and happening on the correct days during the year, thus ensuring the greatest chance of abundant returns.

Researcher, Barry Taylor squats down in a specially built, ancient sighting pit at Tapapakanga Park, near Thames, NZ to observe the Southern Hemisphere's Winter Solstice sunrise on the distant Coromandel Ranges. From the hilltop sighting pit, which was built by the ancient Patu-paiarehe surveyor-astronomers, the Winter Solstice sun gives a very precise "first glint" fix in a conspicuous "V" trough on the range.

The ancient people built a large beehive house, hovel dome village at Tapapakanga, complete with two large ampitheatres, a stone-lined water course and many mounds or other structures in the sheltered valley by the sea. The late-era Maori warriors attacked them and survivors fled into the seclusion of the rugged Coromandel and Hunua Ranges to hide.

Down in the valley where the remains of the village structures are found, Barry stands on a specially built hump that relates to both the Winter Solstice and Equinox sunrises. An arrow is shown ascending from the sighting pit up on the hill where he earlier observed the Winter Solstice sunrise to occur on the Coromandel Ranges. From the valley hump position the sun rises from the hilltop pit. In other words, an individual standing in the sighting pit up on the hill became the outer-marker for another observer down at the valley hump to get a precise fix on the Winter Solstice day. The high ranges are often enshrouded in clouds, so this second, somewhat less accurate method offered an alternative fix.

From the purpose-built hump that Barry is standing upon, the view eastwards is onto this impressive geological feature on the distant Coromandel Ranges. On the day of the Equinox the sun rises on the magnificent outer marker and this bi-annual occurrence gave ancient New Zealand astronomers at Tapapakanga a very exact calendar fix for both the Vernal and Autumn Equinoxes.

The equinoctial sun launches itself into the sky from the position of the impressive geological feature on the Coromandel Ranges. This photo-event heralded the beginning of New Zealand's Autumn for 2010. Tapapakanga Park's purpose-built hump solar-observatory, therefore, works perfectly to give Winter Solstice and Equinox fixes and now only needs to be tested at the Summer Solstice to see if a clear outer marker exists for that solar event also. It would be impossible to state just how many of these solar observatories existed around New Zealand in ancient times, but the number would assuredly be in the thousands, if not the tens of thousands. Many survive and still work perfectly. Wherever an ancient, pre-Maori established community existed, a purpose-built solar observatory would invariably exist somewhere nearby to serve their calendar-correction needs.
    ANCIENT NEW ZEALAND SURVEYORS & ASTRONOMERS | celticnz.co.nz

Went for a dip in a thermal pool here in Rotorua.. the perfect tonic to a day's driving. Hope to visit Kaimanawa Wall tomorrow. Once again, I thank you all for your kind offers.

daddy fishwick, looks like I might not be able to get over to Taranaki, we'll see. I didn't even visit Opito Bay, it just seems a bit too far to get there and then double back in the time I have... oh to have longer.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TelosianEmbrace For This Post:

KiwiElf (9th April 2013), sheme (9th April 2013), Timreh (9th April 2013), witchy1 (9th April 2013)

28. Link to Post #35
    Thanks

What fun! Happy travels and thanks for sharing.
    Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
    Franklin P. Jones

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermite For This Post:

sheme (9th April 2013), TelosianEmbrace (9th April 2013)

30. Link to Post #36
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,391 times in 1,757 posts

I did something similar about five years ago.

Getting from A to B can be a drivers nightmare accidents are frequent. I seemed to spend my holiday going around in ever decreasing circles dangling over tree tops.

If you go in April the season is at an end and you may be wanting for fellow travelers - seasonal places are often closed.

You will find a museum every 20 miles or so, most of the great trees have been cut down, and replaced with cone forests.

You can smell a cattle wagon 5 kilometers away as they discharge their effluent as they drive along, the dairy cows all have their tails cut off. Hideous practice, quite an eye opener.

The people are private but friendly if you talk to them.

The sand flies are evil and most entertainment we had was watching the folks reverse their boats into the water from the concrete launch ramps.

If you free camp make sure you are not on a dry river bed, if you damage or scratch your vehicle get it fixed before you take it back, very obliging spray shops.(one young couple had their hire car taken away from them no replacement, no refund)

The sea food is second to none .

The Trust camp sites are beautiful, and the birds song exotic. I suggest you get as many contacts as possible before you go just so you have a chance to talk to someone.

Health and safety does not rule in NZ just be aware if it looks dangerous it is dangerous no one will stop you. Worst thing the days are too short for a decent holiday at that time of year.

You will have a wonderful holiday.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2