+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Graham Hancock's latest experiences with ayahuasca

1. Link to Post #41
    Canada Avalon Member Youniverse's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 times in 532 posts

Default Re: Graham Hancock's latest experiences with ayahuasca

Dr. Gabor Mate did a study a few years back on the potential therapeutic use of ayahuasca. Though his study showed mixed results(it was only a short term study with a small group), he did say that according to his research(he went to Spain where the largest body of documentation on pro-longed ayahuasca use is), ayahuasca has no long term effects on regular users. Now I believe the bulk of the users they studied were shamanic type people that likely used it more responsibly than others. So both arguments regarding the harmful effects of regualr ayahuasca use may be correct. It's just that some may not know what they're doing when using it. If I was going to use it, I'd for sure go to the people that have been using it for thousands of years. They'd probably know what they're doing.

There are some encouraging results in the treatment of mental illnesses like OCD with ayahuasca. I asked Gabor Mate a while back if ayahuasca would be effective in treating OCD. Making a long answer short, he said yes. Pscillocybin or "magic mushrooms" has also shown some success in treating OCD.

I don't believe it would be wise or fair to judge someone for using entheogens. At the same time it would not be wise to say that someone that chooses to refrain from using them, cannot reach the same level of spiritual awareness and wisdom as a user. But for me personally, I would say I'd prefer not to use them. However, I love reading the testimonies of others that have had some unbelievably amazing experiences using entheogens. And there does seem to be a strong correlation between entheogen experiences, NDE's, and alien abductions.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Oh and I forgot to add that Dr. Mate also found, through his research, that long term regular users of ayahuasca commonly have improved cognitive function.
    If we want to be enlightened, we need to lighten up

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Youniverse For This Post:

Corncrake (21st February 2013), Curt (21st February 2013), Maunagarjana (23rd February 2013), seko (22nd March 2013), sheddie (23rd February 2013), write4change (21st February 2013)

3. Link to Post #42
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    I've never taken drugs in my life,
    What about Coffee, Tea, Sugar, Tobacco, Alcohol or any Natural or Pharmaceutical Medication?
    If the answer is affirmative you get a round of applause from me.

Peace

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zenith For This Post:

Corncrake (21st February 2013), Curt (21st February 2013), EYES WIDE OPEN (21st February 2013), Holly Lindin (23rd February 2013)

5. Link to Post #43
    Finland Avalon Member Ultima Thule's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,265 times in 683 posts

In comparison I would - without knowing the first thing about ayahuasca personally - liken the "reasonable" use to a near death experience or the like, resulting in shifting the paradigm of a person to a more wide one, with spiritual development nearer to the center of gravity. One-off-type of experience would possibly do just what is needed?

UT

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultima Thule For This Post:

Corncrake (21st February 2013), Youniverse (21st February 2013)

7. Link to Post #44
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,874 times in 800 posts

Quote Posted by Freed Fox (here)
    EYES WIDE; were they all based in South America? And were any of them part of a larger religious group (like Santo Daime), or were they unaffiliated as such? Asking out of curiosity, mostly... Thanks.
    None of them were of a large church group.

I used to help run this non profit Aya site a few years back that ran trips to Peru:
    http://web.archive.org/web/200701291...letrips.co.uk/

Quote THE SHIPIBO

The Shipibo Conibo Indians live along the Ucayali River in the Peruvian Amazon & number about 35,000 in about 120 communities. They are among the few indigenous cultures that have remained relatively intact by outsiders.( Despite contact with Christian Missionaries & white or mestizo civilisations over the years.) Their history reaches back over 1200 years and most of their customs have changed very little. But this is beginning to change due to their proximity to the nearby town of Pucullpa. Unfortunately, it is inevitable that they will soon be drawn into modern trade and exploitation & risk losing their ancient customs. They only use barter for trade & because of encroaching modernisation, they are now facing an economical crises.

WHERE YOUR MONEY GOES

There is a local comitte comprised of the most respected members of the village, they directly take care of all the benefits that each group of visitors bring to the village so that the entire community is able to prosper and not just a few. The income that comes from each group is invested in important tools such as big fishing nets or wood saws that will allow the village to compete against the commercial fishing and timber companies who deplete the natural resources of the area taking as much as they want, often by unethical means, and leaving little left for the village. The Masha Association are also able to purchase medicinal, educational and other supplies that are essential to the village. In this way our Jungle Trips are not a charity organization to 'help the Indians' as if they were people unable to decide by themselves what they would like in their future

ACCOMODATION & FOOD

The basic accommodation is as follows: 4 huts, (3 are for resting and 1 for the Ayahuasca and Healing sessions) there are 3 latrines , there are 2 shower baths (using barrels of water), also, there is plenty of potable drinking water. There is no electric light. Oil burners are used in the evenings. We stay in wooden cabins like those of the villagers and all the beds have mosquito nets for extra protection. The food is prepared and served by the women of the village who cook in the communal kitchen. The three meals a day mainly consist of fish, yucca, rice, plantin, fruit and herbal tea as this is the food that the villagers themselves eat.

SPIRITUAL HEALING & AYAHUASCA

We consider your time in the jungle as an excellent opportunity to allow your body to heal and we also include many treatments prepared by the Shamans such as herbal baths and steams that help you to do this. Combined with the naturally grown and prepared food, we hope that you will leave the jungle feeling refreshed, rejuvenated and with a heightened perspective of the beauty and delicacy of our Pachamama (mother earth). In respect of this we ask that you see this as a place to shed the habits so many of us carry in modern society and to refrain from drinking and smoking, if only for the course of the Jungle Trip. If you feel that this will be impossible to do then there are many other excursions offered by other companies that would be better suited to your criteria. Our trips to the jungle will give a genuine insight to the Amazonian way of life and a greater understanding of the impact everyone of us has on the jungle.We hope that our journey is as much an internal voyage as an external one and in maintaining an authentic jungle experience we offer Ayahuasca sessions as part of the trip The Ayahuasca brew is regularly used by the Shamans in Puerto Nuevo and gives a profoundly introspective journey for those who are willing as we hope everyone who chooses to come on a Jungle Trip with us will be. See below for info on ayahuasca.

Ayahuasca has been used by shamans and healers in South America for hundreds, if not thousands of years to contact the spirit world, heal sickness of both the mind & body and to keep in balance with nature. The word Ayahuasca is from the Quechua language and translates as vine of the soul. Ayahuasca is traditionally prepared using the the harmala containing vine Banisteriopsis caapi and the DMT containing leaves of Psychotria viridis or Diplopterys Cabrerana. The method of preparation varies but generally the material is put into a water filled pot and boiled for a number of hours until only a small amount of liquid is left to drink. The harmaline/harmine in the Vine acts as an Mono Amine Oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) allowing the DMT in the leaves to become orally active. This is vital as DMT is broken down quickly by the body and without an MAOI, the brew would be ineffective. Click here http://forums.ayahuasca.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6510 for more IMPORTANT information about Ayayhuasca & its Diet. Our guides for the jungle, medicinal baths and ayahuasca sessions will be : Prudencio, Don Antonio, Dońa Carmen, Don Carlos, Rosa , Cesar and Adolfo.

THINGS TO BRING

We suggest you to bring with you a good mosquito repellent, (DEET based products are usually the best) anti-itch cream, long sleeve t-shirts and long trousers. Sunglasses, sun block, rubber boots, zip lock bags for cameras & so on, This will be very useful for the jungle expeditions. If you want to contribute to the village school, you can bring notebooks, pens, pencils, paper, painting material, rulers, erasers, white boards, maps & so on.

IS THIS FOR ME?

The life of the village is communally orientated and if you are someone who might see this as more of a disturbance then we'd suggest that you might prefer to take a different style of jungle tour such as the ones where you stay in a jungle lodge away from the interaction of the locals. (There are many options online that might be quite good .) As guests of the village we are their neighbours and it is not uncommon to be visited by them often first thing in the morning. It is also very common that the local radio-communication operators play loud music from 5-6 am as it is at that time that the people wake up in the village.

As a final note, our Jungle Trips are not for everybody. We have no aspirations to take a different group every week. We are going to organize 6 jungle journeys yearly, each group ranges from 4 people to a maximum of 7.

We prefer to focus on the qualities of a person as opposed to the quantity of the people. So if you consider yourself a positive and enthusiastic person who is open to experience a jungle journey of the mind, body and spirit, we welcome you and look forward to communicating with you in the future.
    Here is an account of what we offered that a journalist wrote about for a tourism magazine called Ocean Drive:

Quote East of the Andes Mountains in Peru, on the banks of the Ucayali River in the Amazon rainforest, I sat one night in a spell-like trance. The moon was bright and nearly full above the jungle’s limber palms and sturdy hardwoods. Its blue light filtered through the bamboo slats of an otherwise dark hut, banding the shaman in front of me as he sat cross-legged on a woven mat. The shaman rocked back and forth, chanting a mesmerizingly simple cadence.

I stared until I lost focus. Then my body wilted and lights flitted across my mind. I shut my eyes and let myself fall backwards. Suddenly the crooning stopped. I heard a convulsive heave (a new kind of chant? I thought), followed by a splash as liquid hit one of the plastic buckets laid out in front of each of us.

The shaman was puking.

I couldn’t sit up to see, though. I couldn’t even open my eyes. Frogs croaked and leaped in the mud outside, leaves rustled in the wind, but I was paralyzed. “How do you feel?” whispered Julio Nieves, my guide through all things jungle. The answer was that I felt transported. I just couldn’t say it.

Julio, an athletic 34-year-old from Lima, with a brush cut and an abrupt, loud laugh, had brought me here. He had partnered with two Indian tribes in the Peruvian Amazon to allow travelers such as myself to live among the natives, eat their food, fish with them, learn about the jungle’s plants from their expansive store of knowledge, and, if willing, experience an ayahuasca ceremony, the spiritual/medicinal ritual that involves drinking a powerful hallucinogen brewed from jungle plants

To get here we endured thunderous rainstorms, trekked through ankle-deep mud, hopped over brightly striped venomous snakes and ducked palm-sized spiders bristling with hair. We had walked with Indians toting shotguns through a jungle thick with danger, not least from our fellow man, so that I could sit in this dark hut and sip this bitter tea. And I did this not because I’m a fan of getting high or athletic vomiting.

Ayahuasca, also known as the “vine of the soul,” is no recreational drug. Its adherents believe it links man’s mind to the spirit realm. At least two Christian sects in Brazil drink the tea to get closer to God. Indian tribes throughout the Amazon take it as a rite of passage—a way to communicate with the world of plants and animals surrounding them—and as a strong medicine that can heal the soul itself.
    THE REST: (Please read - its a beautiful well written account)
    http://web.archive.org/web/200702100...oceandrive.htm

8. Link to Post #45
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

Hancock's experiences seem to be really scary and yet at the same time really intriguing. I wonder that would he ever have written Fingerprints of the Gods without marijuana?

You would probably have to be very brave to willing to experience ayahuasca... It sounds like that it's almost like an test. Graham calls the "Mother Ayahuasca" a loving benevolent being, but yet during those altered states he has been open to attacks from "tricksters" or evil malevolent beings which seem to be living in that other dimension. It seems to me that ayahuasca acts like an portal which lets you to see and experience other dimension which are parallel to our own. If we could see all the other dimension and astral levels with our own eyes we would probably see many weird things.

At this level of consciousness we are almost like blindfolded. We see just a tiny bit of this so called physical "reality", but that's all. Some of us can just sense the energetic dimensions and influxes, but we cannot see or experience them. Yet we are very open to influences unknown to us. Some forces want the best for us and others not.

Exploring your own consciousness might be interesting, but it probably isn't suited for everyone.
    Last edited by Wind; 21st February 2013 at 11:39.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Akasha (19th March 2013), Corncrake (21st February 2013), Curt (21st February 2013), Freed Fox (21st February 2013), Holly Lindin (23rd February 2013), Ultima Thule (21st February 2013)

10. Link to Post #46
    Thanks

Quote Posted by zenith (here)
    What about Coffee, Tea, Sugar, Tobacco, Alcohol or any Natural or Pharmaceutical Medication?

Peace
    I'm guilty on the coffee, tea, and sugar substances . Though I have given up alcohol! ha ha.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Youniverse For This Post:

johnf (23rd February 2013), zenith (21st February 2013)

12. Link to Post #47
    Thanks

Quote Posted by StarSeed (here)
    Hancock's experiences seem to be really scary and yet at the same time really intriguing. I wonder that would he ever have written Fingerprints of the Gods without marijuana?

You would probably have to be very brave to willing to experience ayahuasca... It sounds like that it's almost like an test. Graham calls the "Mother Ayahuasca" a loving benevolent being, but yet during those altered states he has been open to attacks from "tricksters" or evil malevolent beings which seem to be living in that other dimension. It seems to me that ayahuasca acts like an portal which lets you to see and experience other dimension which are parallel to our own. If we could see all the other dimension and astral levels with our own eyes we would probably see many weird things.

At this level of consciousness we are almost like blindfolded. We see just a tiny bit of this so called physical "reality", but that's all. Some of us can just sense the energetic dimensions and influxes, but we cannot see or experience them. Yet we are very open to influences unknown to us. Some forces want the best for us and others not.

Exploring your own consciousness might be interesting, but it probably isn't suited for everyone.
    From the research I have done, it is not for the faint of heart. However, if you FEEL you are ready and at the same time have a strong sense of humility and openness, you will probably have a wondrous experience. IMO the amount of scariness in the experience depends on the level of fears you have already faced within yourself. If you've just begun facing those fears(or not at all), then you might be in for a rough ride. It sounds to me like those people that are most open to the experience and are able to 'let go' of old beliefs and fears and opinions rather quickly, tend to have a more fulfilling and life-changing(in a positive way) experience. It may be that these demons or "tricksters" are only projections from deep within our psyche that we have not faced. Just like the shadow side or "pain body" as Eckhart Tolle calls it, are some ugly, vicious monsters that once brought into the light, begin to lose their power. I believe in Graham Hancock's experience, the more he faced this trickster, the more it would weaken and eventually dissappear altogether. These things only have power when we leave them in the dark.

You need to go into these kinds of experiences with a sense of KNOWING that you are the creator of your reality. "You are the god you seek," is what I have heard over and over again, in the channelling sessions I attend once a month. This message is also made clear and simple in "Conversations With God," by Neale Donald Walsch, a trilogy I would highly recommend everyone read. Saying and knowing you are God comes with a big disclaimer, ha ha, because you also have to be aware of the human filter/ego at work in you that is also part of god and at the same time seperates you from god(another paradox). If you can say inside yourself that you are god and believe it, and at the same time bow down to that higher part of yourself that lives outside of duality, you will be just fine. My point with all this is to not be afraid or if you find you already are afraid, then to face those demons head-on, when you feel the time is right. If they devour you, they devour you, and then you move on as the undying and unborn entity that you always are. And this is what happens to so many folks that have these disturbing trips, they get through it and relaize they are okay and keep moving forward. The ones that get too freaked out(usually because they enter into it with a false sense of confidence where they're lying to themselves) simply run away to fight another day. They are not ready for that intensity yet, or haven't faced the fear in stages enough to lessen its power.

We all do these things in our everyday lives where we face all kinds of fears and belief systems. The difference is with DMT, LSD, pscillocybin, or other similar hallucinigens, is that we face those demons in a more visceral and yet sublime sort of way. Instead of taking it in stages, one can meet up with the 'monster' inside, in a very blunt sort of way. This is why, I would imagine, that if a very liberated type of individual were to take a heavy dose of ayahuasca or pure DMT, they probably would have a more positive and even a somewhat ho-hum, been there done that, kind of experience. Hope that helps!

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Youniverse For This Post:

Freed Fox (21st February 2013), Holly Lindin (23rd February 2013), johnf (23rd February 2013), Maunagarjana (23rd February 2013), sheddie (23rd February 2013), Wind (22nd February 2013)

14. Link to Post #48
    Thanks

I would add that this has in fact been the case in the past, where a master/guru took a heavy dose of LSD and then kind of said, oh ya that's nice, lol!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Youniverse For This Post:

johnf (23rd February 2013)

16. Link to Post #49
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,439 times in 1,555 posts

Peace
    One could by the above definition call anything a drug including lettuce. Everything we ingest has an effect on us. I personally do not define coffee, tea, sugar or tobacco, even alcohol in moderation as "drugs".

I do think Bill was clearly referring to hallucinogenic, mind altering substances.

17. Link to Post #50
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Christine (here)

Peace
    One could by the above definition call anything a drug including lettuce. Everything we ingest has an effect on us. I personally do not define coffee, tea, sugar or tobacco, even alcohol in moderation as "drugs".

I do think Bill was clearly referring to hallucinogenic, mind altering substances.
    Yes and clearly some are more mind altering than others, ha ha.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Youniverse For This Post:

Christine (21st February 2013), Curt (22nd February 2013)

19. Link to Post #51
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,225 times in 32,908 posts

Coffee, every day. Tea, occasionally. Sugar, almost never. Tobacco, never in my life. Pharmaceutical Medication, not since I was a child. Alcohol, not since 1988 (I am allergic).

If the answer is affirmative you get a round of applause from me
    How about the sound of one hand clapping?

20. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Adi (21st February 2013), Curt (21st February 2013), greybeard (21st February 2013), Heart-2-Heart (22nd February 2013), Jean-Luc (22nd February 2013), johnf (23rd February 2013), kanishk (21st February 2013), Lisab (21st February 2013), RMorgan (21st February 2013), Wind (22nd February 2013), zenith (21st February 2013)

21. Link to Post #52
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by christian (here)
    every positive thing that psychotropics can do to you, you can do by yourself.
    Fully agreed: this is the heart of it.
    Speaking as someone who spent 2 decades drowning in a suicidal depression and was then relieved of that through ayahuasca, I respectfully contradict this assertion.
    I've no contention with the idea of everyone being capable of anything. But the ethereal idea that we can all do anything that we want truly means nothing to someone who is locked into their own personal hell/addiction. This person knows they're trapped, they've been tricked into knowing it, but they know it nonetheless. If someone has no concept of what they are capable of (or capacity to understand it) then tools that enable them to learn what they're capable of are invaluable. Ayahuasca is one such medicinal tool. I acknowledge that, like any other medicine, it can be abused.

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to 7eagle14 For This Post:

Akasha (19th March 2013), Christine (23rd February 2013), Eram (22nd February 2013), EYES WIDE OPEN (22nd February 2013), Freed Fox (22nd February 2013), gripreaper (22nd February 2013), Holly Lindin (23rd February 2013), johnf (23rd February 2013), Limor Wolf (24th February 2013), sheddie (23rd February 2013), write4change (17th March 2013)

23. Link to Post #53
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,874 times in 800 posts

I think its hard for somebody who has never had it to say anything about it with any kind of certainty. Its all to easy to dismiss it without actually having felt its beneficial effects.

24. Link to Post #54
    United States Avalon Member Maunagarjana's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,195 times in 681 posts

It seems to me that Graham is getting some benefits of ayahuasca use, despite the difficult nature of the experiences. And that is one of the curious things about psychedelics in general is that sometimes the more rough journeys can be the most instructive. But there are definitely limitations to this. I mean, someone can probably learn a lot about themselves and the world by getting lost in the woods, but that doesn't mean they should do that regularly. That is just one analogy. I'm sure there are better ones.

I'm actually quite pro-psychedelics in general, mostly because they have impacted my life in what I feel is a very positive way, but if you talk to me about them long enough, you'll quickly realize that I am extremely moderate in terms of the rate of my using them and am very cautious in the way that I use of them. I know what it's like when psychedelic experiences go off the rails, and it isn't pretty.

I have a very strong respect for these tools, and I do not abuse them. I've never done ayahuasca, mainly because I consider it for me to be too physically demanding. That, and because I wouldn't do it without a seasoned ayahuasquero present, and I have NO illusions that they are all benevolent and wise individuals. Also, as Graham's latest experience with it shows, all it takes is one misguided fool in a group to really put a damper on the proceedings. I have had some amazing experiences on my own combining psilocybe mushrooms with syrian rue, a combination which is analogous to ayahuasca (Psilocin is 4-HO-DMT and syrian rue contains MAOIs), but there are certainly differences as well. I do view with skepticism the zealous devotees of ayahuasca that I meet, even while I believe that for the right person at the right time, it can be a godsend.

I think such substances are there (as someone said upthread) to "kickstart" certain things within us on our personal journey in a way that can be very positive. But after that process is in full swing, it's probably best to set them aside and focus on other ways of working on ourselves. I really can't stress this enough.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maunagarjana For This Post:

Akasha (19th March 2013), Christine (23rd February 2013), Curt (22nd March 2013)

26. Link to Post #55
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Maunagarjana (here)
    It seems to me that Graham is getting some benefits of ayahuasca use, despite the difficult nature of the experiences. And that is one of the curious things about psychedelics in general is that sometimes the more rough journeys can be the most instructive. But there are definitely limitations to this. I mean, someone can probably learn a lot about themselves and the world by getting lost in the woods, but that doesn't mean they should do that regularly. That is just one analogy. I'm sure there are better ones.

I'm actually quite pro-psychedelics in general, mostly because they have impacted my life in what I feel is a very positive way, but if you talk to me about them long enough, you'll quickly realize that I am extremely moderate in terms of the rate of my using them and am very cautious in the way that I use of them. I know what it's like when psychedelic experiences go off the rails, and it isn't pretty.

I have a very strong respect for these tools, and I do not abuse them. I've never done ayahuasca, mainly because I consider it for me to be too physically demanding. That, and because I wouldn't do it without a seasoned ayahuasquero present, and I have NO illusions that they are all benevolent and wise individuals. Also, as Graham's latest experience with it shows, all it takes is one misguided fool in a group to really put a damper on the proceedings. I have had some amazing experiences on my own combining psilocybe mushrooms with syrian rue, a combination which is analogous to ayahuasca (Psilocin is 4-HO-DMT and syrian rue contains MAOIs), but there are certainly differences as well. I do view with skepticism the zealous devotees of ayahuasca that I meet, even while I believe that for the right person at the right time, it can be a godsend.

I think such substances are there (as someone said upthread) to "kickstart" certain things within us on our personal journey in a way that can be very positive. But after that process is in full swing, it's probably best to set them aside and focus on other ways of working on ourselves. I really can't stress this enough.
    I think what you're saying is quite similar to what Rick Strassman said in "DMT - The Spirit Molecule," Dr. Gabor Mate in his documentary "Jungle Prescription," and many others that understand and practice responsible use of entheogens. It is not for recreational use. It is a tool as you said. And 7eagle14 I'm glad you shared your story because I forgot to add that point earlier. I've never used psychedelics, but I've done a bit of research on them. I have heard and read stories of people with serious drug addiction like heroine that were freed from that addiction by ayahuasca. It is also supposed to be quite effective in treating alcoholism and mental disorders such as OCD that I mentioned earlier. Some possible reasons for the effectiveness of psychedelics in treating these illnesses is that it helps people attain closure with tramas of their past and also reawakens them to a much higher love and respect for themselves and others. They gain a fresh new perspective that encompasses more of the big picture and no longer have the will to engage in any self-destructive behaviour.

I'm not trying to endorse the use of psychedelics here. I'm only passing on what I've heard and read in a balanced approach. I am not for or against their use. I stand by my earlier statement that I do not need to use psychedelics for any sort of growth. However, I would leave open a small window of possibility for trying a psychedelic in the future given the right parameters, situation, people involved, motivation, etc. In summary, I can't say I would never use them under any circumstances but the chances that I would are pretty low. I do respect responsible users of substances like DMT and the reported benefits of its use. Like people that have had NDEs, some folks that have gone on a DMT trip are speechless afterwards but know without any doubt that they had avery real and very beneficial experience. How can anyone argue with that?

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Youniverse For This Post:

7eagle14 (23rd February 2013), Maunagarjana (23rd February 2013), sheddie (23rd February 2013), Wind (24th February 2013), write4change (23rd February 2013)

28. Link to Post #56
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Whiskey_Mystic (here)
    I have been a serious student of shamanism with a very accomplished teacher for about ten years now. It is my opinion that if you are using psychotropics, you can have great mystical experiences, but you are not in control. You are wide open to influence and infiltration. You are just along for the ride.

One of the most under-taught lessons in shamanic training is self protection. My teacher requires a foundation in self protection which involves not only energetic technique, but psychological clearing and grounding, which can take years and great effort for some. Psychotropics are the opposite of grounding, self control, and self protection.
    I agree, the need for protection and being fully grounded is paramount when practicing shamanism. Seems to me Graham Hancock's experience is a good wake up call for people thinking it is all 'love and light'.

I have been practicing shamanism for over 6 years now, it takes a great deal of practice to journey well, even more to interpret your journeys ... it is possible to achieve great insights through journeying. You do need the support and help of your teachers though, and we are taught to never journey to other realities without your guiding spirts, it is after all their world and we need to be protected at all times.

I too have been very lucky to train with two wonderful teachers. Shamanic practices have changed my life ....

I can see for some people the need to take Ayahuasca to help them overcome blocks or to open themselves up to other world realities, as with everything moderation and taking responsibility for yourself is the key, as is finding the right person to help you experience Ayahuasa.

Someone close to me is taking Ayahuasa/DMT at the moment, I think it is in order to fast track their 'enlightenment', that is my opinion only, I could be wrong of course. It concerns me as they have mental health issues brought on by drug abuse in the past ..... all your posts have been a great help, thank you for giving some balanced opinions everyone, it's much appreciated.

From what I understand taking Ayahuasca, I presume it is actually DMT in the UK? Anyone know if this is the case, that when they talk about taking Ayahuasca they actually mean DMT. I have heard of people going to Ayahuasca parties, one person actually took their 15 daughter as they felt it would be a good experience for her ..... unbelievable.

Blufire, my mum is in late stage Alzheimer's, she's had it for 10 years, and dad has just been diagnosed with moderate Alzheimer's so I feel your pain, it really is a slow death, just awful to see the pain and confusion. I share your worries about our future health... I am a lot nearer to 80 than you and am working hard to open my mind and keep healthy. Lets hope Bruce Lipton is correct and that genetic inheritance isn't absolutely a given.

much love

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheddie For This Post:

northstar (16th March 2013), Youniverse (23rd February 2013)

30. Link to Post #57
    Thanks

I love Bruce Lipton sheddie! I don't know how many of you are familiar with Bashar chanelled through Daryl Anka? I just wanted to throw something he said regarding ayahuasca out here. Of course he could be wrong, though it seems to me he is very wise in many other ways. He said that ayahuasca doesn't actually contain DMT. He said it is a mixture of other plants or chemicals. Has anyone ever heard that before? Just wondering.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Youniverse For This Post:

sheddie (24th February 2013)

32. Link to Post #58
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Youniverse (here)
    I've never used psychedelics, but I've done a bit of research on them. I have heard and read stories of people with serious drug addiction like heroine that were freed from that addiction by ayahuasca. It is also supposed to be quite effective in treating alcoholism and mental disorders such as OCD that I mentioned earlier. Some possible reasons for the effectiveness of psychedelics in treating these illnesses is that it helps people attain closure with tramas of their past and also reawakens them to a much higher love and respect for themselves and others. They gain a fresh new perspective that encompasses more of the big picture and no longer have the will to engage in any self-destructive behaviour.
    For someone who hasn't taken psychedelics, you seem very well informed. I agree with all of what you've written in this thread.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Maunagarjana For This Post:

Youniverse (24th February 2013)

34. Link to Post #59
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Whiskey_Mystic (here)
    I have been a serious student of shamanism with a very accomplished teacher for about ten years now. It is my opinion that if you are using psychotropics, you can have great mystical experiences, but you are not in control. You are wide open to influence and infiltration. You are just along for the ride.

One of the most under-taught lessons in shamanic training is self protection. My teacher requires a foundation in self protection which involves not only energetic technique, but psychological clearing and grounding, which can take years and great effort for some. Psychotropics are the opposite of grounding, self control, and self protection.
    So, have you taken them? Honestly, I'm really puzzled when people tell me they are practicing Shamanism but aren't being schooled by the plant teachers. Every Shamanic culture I've ever looked at anywhere around the world have utilized drug plants for various purposes, even if it's just something like datura or tobacco.

35. Link to Post #60
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Youniverse (here)
    I love Bruce Lipton sheddie! I don't know how many of you are familiar with Bashar chanelled through Daryl Anka? I just wanted to throw something he said regarding ayahuasca out here. Of course he could be wrong, though it seems to me he is very wise in many other ways. He said that ayahuasca doesn't actually contain DMT. He said it is a mixture of other plants or chemicals. Has anyone ever heard that before? Just wondering.
    I'm not familiar with the quote from Bashar, but ayahuasca definitely contains DMT. Yage (the vine Banisteriopsis Caapi) and Chacruna (the leafy plant Psychotria Viridis) are the two main ingredients. Yage contains MAOIs (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors, like harmine, harmaline and tetra-hydra-harmine) and Chacruna contains DMT. Sometimes other plants are used that contain other things (these are referred to as admixtures) and every ayahuasquero has their own personal style of brew. But DMT is not normally orally active so that's why you need the MAOIs, because it inhibits Monoamine Oxidase in your stomach, which allows DMT to be orally active. It's an amazing feat of chemistry that the Amazonian natives had figured out (though they say plants are the ones that told them how to do it.) The Yage vine is considered to be the most important plant of the two though (it is also known as Ayahuasca on its own), and the Chacruna is said to more just provide color to the visions.
    Last edited by Maunagarjana; 23rd February 2013 at 08:35.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast