+ Reply to Thread

Thread: USA: Solar financing & company exploration.

1. Link to Post #1
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Default USA: Solar financing & company exploration.

I am working to buy a house at my new location (USVI) and have put an offer in on a property I've found.

Power here is extremely expensive from the local utility (.58 usd per kw/h) this has prompted me to look into grid tie (net metering) solar panels and the possibility of complete power independence (perhaps down the road).

As I research these options I'll post my findings here, I'm fairly confident I can execute this project and project it to be in the 30,000-40,000 dollar range (though 20,000 would be much nicer).

As I am not independently wealthy I will have to seek financing to accomplish my goals, and thus I have found the following information, which I will expand on as I learn more (work in progress thread etc..)

18 MAR 2013 findings:
    GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS:

Quote USDA - Rural Energy for America Program (REAP) Grants

Maximum Incentive: 25% of project cost
    Applicable Sectors: Commercial, Schools, Local Government, State Government, Tribal Government, Rural Electric Cooperative, Agricultural, Institutional, Public Power Entities
    http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/BCP_ReapResEei.html

Agricultural can be a very loose definition, you'd be suprized who would qualify for this, I see this as a usable grant for a lot of people.

Quote USDA - High Energy Cost Grant Program Applicable Sectors: Commercial, Industrial, Residential, Nonprofit, Schools, Local Government, State Government, Tribal Government, Municipal Utility, Institutional
    Amount: $20,000-$3,000,000
    Maximum Incentive: $3 million
    Installation Requirements: Both grid-connected and off-grid renewable energy installations are eligible

2013 Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA)

The 2013 Funding announcement will be made in the spring if funds are available. The funding announcement will be similar to the 2012 NOFA.
    http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/UEP_Our_Grant_Programs.html

Gonna have to keep an eye on this one as it is not funded yet this year, however it seems widely applicable and attractive.

Quote Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit

Incentive Type: Personal Tax Credit
    Eligible Renewable/Other Technologies: Solar Water Heat, Photovoltaics, Wind, Fuel Cells, Geothermal Heat Pumps, Other Solar-Electric Technologies, Fuel Cells using Renewable Fuels
    Applicable Sectors: Residential
    Amount: 30%
    Maximum Incentive: Solar-electric systems placed in service after 2008: no maximum
    Solar water heaters placed in service after 2008: no maximum
    http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...edits.tx_index
    it says 30% and "no maximum" I'm guessing that means 30% of what ever you spend for solar, decent for sure. I'll definitely use this.

*****NOTE****
    There are a lot of state & even county programs that are not listed here, be sure to check for your local programs if you are interested in this.

FINANCING OPTIONS:

Quote The Energy Efficient Mortgage Loan

An energy efficient mortgage is a loan that allows you to incorporate the cost of your solar improvements into your mortgage loan. The improvements can cost up to 15 percent of the total value of your home. The lender will calculate the energy savings for you home because of the new solar system and will add that to the total loan value, letting you borrow more than normal. Put another way, it doesn’t matter how much equity you currently have in your home, the solar financing is added on top of the loan. This, of course, lets you get a solar system without much out of pocket expense and you get to recover a good chunk of the cost through an increased mortgage interest deduction. Throw in tax credits, rebates and net metering incentives, and solar is getting mighty cheap if you know how to work the system.

Energy efficient mortgages have very few restrictions. You can get them for new construction or existing homes. The can be issued for single family residents, duplexes, condos and so on.

http://bestsolarenergykits.com/finan...l-solar-power/
    http://www.fha.com/energy_efficient.cfm

This looks like one of the best options.

Quote PowerSaver

•Up to $25,000 to be used for energy-efficiency improvements including solar leasing and solar installation
    •$7,500 minimum loan amount
    •20-year term for solar
    •Minimum FICO score of 660
    •45% debt-to-income ratio
    •100% combined loan-to-value ratio (CLTV)
    •No upfront loan fees (excluding 1% mortgage insurance)

Now more than ever, it's easy and affordable to go solar. W.J. Bradley Mortgage Capital, LLC has been chosen by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, (HUD), to offer affordable PowerSaver loans for homeowners to go solar. Homeowners can get low interest loans up to $25,000 specifically designed to finance residential solar systems. PowerSaver is insured by the Federal Housing Authority.
    http://solar.wjbradley.com/solar-by-powersaver.php

Depending on the rates this could be very attractive.

PACE financing

PACE stands for Property Assessed Clean Energy. PACE is an innovative means of financing rooftop photovoltaics and other energy improvements. In areas with PACE legislation in place municipal governments offer a specific bond to investors and then turn around and loan the money to consumers and businesses to put towards an energy retrofit. The loans are repaid over the assigned term (typically 15 or 20 years) via an annual assessment on their property tax bill. PACE bonds can be issued by municipal financing districts or finance companies and the proceeds can be used to retrofit both commercial and residential properties. One of the most notable characteristics of PACE programs is that the loan is attached to the property rather than an individual.[1][2][3][4]

PACE programs help home and business owners pay for the upfront costs of green initiatives, such as solar panels, which the property owner then pays back by increasing property taxes by a set rate over about 20 years. This allows property owners to begin saving on energy costs while they are paying for their solar panels. This usually means that property owners have net gains even with increased property tax.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PACE_financing

sounds like PACE is getting to be rare due to the loan security issues it brings up, however if it is available in your area it sounds like a good program.

SOLARCITY PPA & Lease

SolarPPA and SolarLease are both great options. They offer similar financial advantages to the homeowner. The primary difference is that with a lease you pay by the month, and with a PPA you pay per kWh. Another benefit of the SolarPPA is that you can purchase the system anytime after year five. Availability of SolarPPA and SolarLease vary by location based on what your local utility company prefers.
    http://www.solarcity.com/residential/solar-ppa.aspx
    I'm not sure I like either of these options, but they are avalible & interesting providing low/no cost entry into solar power.
    Here's some news on solar financing options:
    http://www.greentechmedia.com/articl...-SunPower-Vivi

Another PPA option:
    https://www.greentechmedia.com/artic...-PPA-Firm-Too/

again, I'm not very interested in paying for power from panels located on my property, or leasing, I'd rather finance to own.

Here is a nice Interactive Map of Solar Energy Incentives :
    http://www.getsolar.com/cost_solar-e...incentives.php

and a decent article on Buying, Borrowing or Leasing solar:
    http://www.getsolar.com/blog/buy-borrow-or-lease/

Federal incentives:
    http://www.getsolar.com/cost_solar-e...es-federal.php
    Currently this is what I have found to be useful information for people in my situation, I am working with my mortgage broker to find which is going to be the most viable (as far as financing) and I'll do the leg work myself on deductions/rebates/grants & update what I find as I go along.
    Last edited by TargeT; 18th March 2013 at 20:51.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

4evrneo (19th March 2013), crosby (19th March 2013), Joseph McAree (18th March 2013), Strat (21st September 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (18th March 2013), thunder24 (19th March 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: USA: Solar financing & company exploration.

COMPANIES:

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/

More to follow, I'm not really at this step yet.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

crosby (19th March 2013), Joseph McAree (18th March 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (18th March 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 times in 818 posts

Good luck with your new house - I don't know where USVI is, but if it's cold like Alaska you can't do without power! You can always try some old technology e.g. a log-burner stove with hot-water heater, and lantern lights, etc.
    “There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.” -- Carl Jung

"To see the farm is to leave the farm."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mulder For This Post:

crosby (19th March 2013), TargeT (19th March 2013)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mulder (here)
    Good luck with your new house - I don't know where USVI is, but if it's cold like Alaska you can't do without power! You can always try some old technology e.g. a log-burner stove with hot-water heater, and lantern lights, etc.
    USVI is the US Virgin Islands, it's just south of Puerto Rico in the middle of the Caribbean ... I don't think I'll ever need heat, this winter it didnt get below 72* at night and was mostly 83*-86* during the day

I simply want to be power independent, no need for anyone to know how much power I use or charge me for it when I can get it from the sun and at the current electricity prices I'm being charged the ROI (return on investment) is very high.

Plus I want to look into getting an electric motorcycle and be able to charge it "for free" as well.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fx/
    Last edited by TargeT; 19th March 2013 at 13:25.
    Where are you?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

4evrneo (19th March 2013), Mulder (21st March 2013), thunder24 (19th March 2013)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 times in 818 posts

OK, let us know how you go with your solar power as I'm interested in "getting off the grid" myself. I feel getting away from the mainland USA is a decision you will won't regret in the future! How expensive are houses in the VI - has their real estate market collapsed like in the USA? Unfortunately, Real Estate here is at a peak. Here's a little video showing prices have gone up 27% since the low point after the 2008 crisis & how young people better "buy now" or forever be renting!

Last edited by Mulder; 21st March 2013 at 18:50.
    “There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.” -- Carl Jung

"To see the farm is to leave the farm."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mulder For This Post:

TargeT (21st March 2013)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

housing market has collapsed here, down 50% in the last 4 years alone. Mostly due to an oil refinery closure (which is driving up electricity costs as all power is generated by petrolium here) that employed 2,500 people (mostly high paying jobs, so a lot of trickle down is gone) and a sluggish tourist industry due to the economic woes around the world.

Great time to buy!

I offered 200k on a 3,000 sqft house on two acers with a pool, I'm pretty sure he'll accept.

I figure solar will cost an additional 20,000-40,000 and I'll be set, water is collected via the roofs into a cistern here. so I'll have power, water & enough land to grow food, plus three big guard dogs to keep me safe & my family (hell my mom even moved down).

I'm just crunching through the house / solar part now
    Last edited by TargeT; 21st March 2013 at 19:02.
    Where are you?

12. Link to Post #7
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,006 times in 904 posts

what output pv rig are you aiming for?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to meat suit For This Post:

TargeT (21st March 2013)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by meat suit (here)
    what output pv rig are you aiming for?
    With 30 ET solar panels, 7,350-watt Workshop-size solar power system that delivers full power to a 120- or 240-volt AC appliances and produce up to 995.85 kilowatt hours of electricity each month (based on 5 hours of sun a day.. I get a LOT more than 5 on average).

Something like this:
    http://www.wholesalesolar.com/system...ry-backup.html
    Last edited by TargeT; 21st March 2013 at 19:18.
    Where are you?

+ Reply to Thread