+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trickle down? What and where?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member spiritguide's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,730 times in 1,479 posts

Default Trickle down? What and where?

The posted link below is of an article that lists facts regarding the state of U.S. wealth...

Article lead in...

Five Ugly Extremes of Inequality in America -- The Contrasts Will Drop Your Chin to the Floor!

Any of the ten richest Americans could pay a year's rent for all of America's homeless with their 2012 income.

March 24, 2013 | Like this article?Join our email list:Stay up to date with the latest headlines via email.

The first step is to learn the facts, and then to get angry and to ask ourselves, as progressives and caring human beings, what we can do about the relentless transfer of wealth to a small group of well-positioned Americans.

1. $2.13 per hour vs. $3,000,000.00 per hour

Each of the Koch brothers saw his investments grow by $6 billion in one year, which is three million dollars per hour based on a 40-hour 'work' week. They used some of the money to try to kill renewable energy standards around the country.

Their income portrays them, in a society measured by economic status, as a million times more valuable than the restaurant server who cheers up our lunch hours while hoping to make enough in tips to pay the bills.

A comparison of top and bottom salaries within large corporations is much less severe, but a lot more common. For CEOs and minimum-wage workers, the difference is $5,000.00 per hour vs. $7.25 per hour

http://www.alternet.org/economy/five...tter814352&t=2

Maybe we need to shut off the vacuum sucking our energies.

Last edited by spiritguide; 26th March 2013 at 14:20.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to spiritguide For This Post:

bennycog (27th March 2013), buckminster fuller (27th March 2013), donk (26th March 2013), InTheBackground (26th March 2013), Lifebringer (26th March 2013), mosquito (27th March 2013), Rich (27th March 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Revere's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Trickle down? What and where?

Trickledown economics....What a joke! IMO, It is code for having the people at the top Urinate on everyone down below them. That’s about all that flows down. It never has worked and never will. Human nature is greedy by default. The Human has to be enlightened before the behavior will change. God help us!

Peace,
    Revere
    "IF WE THINK WE CAN OR CAN NOT WE ARE RIGHT"

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Revere For This Post:

donk (26th March 2013), Lifebringer (26th March 2013), sandy (27th March 2013), spiritguide (26th March 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,349 times in 2,716 posts

I don't believe that greed is our default, I believe those at the top have developed a sophisticated program...the toxic idea of "trickle down" has a built-in defense mechanism (i think saint ronnie reagan, hero of "consevatives" aka selfish "boot-strappers" had something to do with it) makes it tough for the unthinking majority to see how self destructive and short sighted it is.

It is disheartening to see how susseptible most people are to the trap of desire for material wealth, how easily we call into selfishness, I just can't give in to the idea that it is really "human nature"...it really seems to me that the program implanted into our dysfunctional culture/lifestyle is so subtle and strongly defended that it perpetuates itself as if it were indeed the "default".

6. Link to Post #4
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 times in 689 posts

Quote Posted by Revere (here)
    Trickledown economics....What a joke! IMO, It is code for having the people at the top Urinate on everyone down below them. That’s about all that flows down. It never has worked and never will. Human nature is greedy by default. The Human has to be enlightened before the behavior will change. God help us!

Peace,
    Revere
    What about $hite?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Snookie For This Post:

spiritguide (27th March 2013)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Ohhhh, but divine intervention and Karma/Universal law is gonna get em.

9. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Its all temptation of the EGO and what we were "taught" was important to be thought of as "somebody" in this world.

I am a child of the Creator/God.
    That's enough for me.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

Revere (30th March 2013), spiritguide (26th March 2013)

11. Link to Post #7
    France Avalon Member buckminster fuller's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,878 times in 475 posts

I never thought of the trickle down theory as applied to something else than our materialist culture. Economically, it seems quite an utopia, seeing how individualism has made its way into the heart of our capitalist system. Maybe it was meant to be; maybe competition just sucks and we as a collective have nothing to gain from it. The sole purpose of it was the idea of progress, but progress follows the same guidelines. From planned obsolescence to the burying of patents that could reshape the world, the sacred market and all its BS w(h)orshipers have locked it to where they want it to be, on the short term profit side. To hell with that.
    life is design

12. The Following User Says Thank You to buckminster fuller For This Post:

spiritguide (27th March 2013)

13. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,739 times in 1,371 posts

Having lived and worked in some of the places at the very bottom of the capitalist pyramid I can state without any fear of contradiction that the "trickle down" effect that economists and politicians love to appease our minds with is utter rubbish. From what I've witnessed, and as the figures in the OP show, it's more of a "cascade UP" effect.

The good news is that, as thinking economists are beginning to realize, the trend cannot continue as it has been, there is only so much rubber in the metaphorical balloon, if it grows any more, there will be a very loud and messy bang.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosquito For This Post:

Revere (30th March 2013), sandy (27th March 2013), spiritguide (27th March 2013)

+ Reply to Thread