+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wanted: scanner recordings

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member xbusymom's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 times in 396 posts

Default wanted: scanner recordings

I am working on a project and need recordings from a radio scanner. I am looking for dispatch chatter on several services... police, fire, school bus, air traffic, cab/taxi and freightline.

Please contact me for details.

Thx,

2. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,835 times in 3,731 posts

Default Re: wanted: scanner recordings

Such things would be of questionable legality.
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

3. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,455 times in 8,541 posts

Does it need to be real? or just for something like fill / background audio for something?
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

4. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

it would be for background audio noise.. and of course - will be *beeped/ chopped* for any identifying information.. my game project is to improve academic and independent living skills for disabled and autistic people... so the audio would most likely be connected with a map reading puzzle, or following clues to the next treasure, or the like...

5. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I'm sure there's clips available for free on the web that could be used for such projects. If your interested in capturing your own, I found this app that for Android that allows your phone to receive scanner audio. http://www.appbrain.com/app/scanner-...m.scannerradio

6. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    I'm sure there's clips available for free on the web that could be used for such projects.
    I apologize for leading you to believe that I had leapt before I looked...
    Quote If your interested in capturing your own, I found this app that for Android that allows your phone to receive scanner audio. http://www.appbrain.com/app/scanner-...m.scannerradio
    and I had hoped I could get away with not having to purchase permanent equipment for a temporary project...

I did find several very small sound bites, mostly police dispatch, that were not either overlayed with a recording buzz or the recording techs' monologue, other office phones, etc... but it is not enough for my project needs...

What I would prefer is a long stretch of chatter of what is heard over the radio (as a listener), so I can section off portions of it to correspond with puzzle clues.

And thank you , DeDukshyn, for responding and giving me another idea

7. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by xbusymom (here)
    Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    I'm sure there's clips available for free on the web that could be used for such projects.
    I apologize for leading you to believe that I had leapt before I looked...
    Quote If your interested in capturing your own, I found this app that for Android that allows your phone to receive scanner audio. http://www.appbrain.com/app/scanner-...m.scannerradio
    and I had hoped I could get away with not having to purchase permanent equipment for a temporary project...

I did find several very small sound bites, mostly police dispatch, that were not either overlayed with a recording buzz or the recording techs' monologue, other office phones, etc... but it is not enough for my project needs...

What I would prefer is a long stretch of chatter of what is heard over the radio (as a listener), so I can section off portions of it to correspond with puzzle clues.

And thank you , DeDukshyn, for responding and giving me another idea
    I just thought you may already have a phone that runs Android -- the app was free.

I search for that type of stuff stuff quite a bit as a hobbyist video maker. I haven't found anything that matches your request specifically, but I have found some good stuff for free.

Another Idea is to steal audio from off of youtube videos (I found a few with long sections of chatter - no idea if it would help though), then edit it to fit you needs - make it more general, etc.

And finally, there is a free audio editing software called Audacity, that you may be able to take audio from any source (or record your own) and use the built in effects to give you a "emergency service scanner" type of sound to it.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 3rd April 2013 at 01:12.

+ Reply to Thread