+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nemesis, Tyche, Nibiru, Planet X, Brown Dwarf & Binary System: Myths & Realities

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 115,973 times in 20,621 posts

Default Re: Nemesis, Tyche, Nibiru, Planet X, Brown Dwarf & Binary System: Myths & Realities

Thanks Amzer Zo for this thread, though I must confess it's unlikely I will read it all.
    I am just not processing information very well these days, and so I will just ask one question, if you would be so kind as to answer it.
    I used to read James MacCanney's site a lot and my feeling is that his information is sensible and accurate for the most part.
    update: The following is Amzer Zo's summation, not John Rappaport's, as I mistakenly thought originally, so I am delineating that here. My question was if Amzer Zo agreed with Rappaport and MacCanney, and he answers that in his next post, as well as here:
    Quote Let me put it this way, our solar system as a binary system, has become stable as such for a long, long time with both stars orbiting around each other. Check this animation to get a visual on how this works:

http://www.binaryresearchinstitute.o...n/theory.shtml

As such, the rule of the relationship between our Sun, its companion and their respective planets is: NEVER THE TWAIN SHALL MEET!

Hence all you can read about a large object coming in between Earth and Sun and using our Sun planetary system as a bowling alley is just propaganda and disinfo to foster fear and hysteria.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by onawah; 8th April 2013 at 17:17.
    Each breath a gift...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Calz (11th April 2013), Foxie Loxie (2nd April 2017), Gardener (19th May 2013), Hervé (8th April 2013)

3. Link to Post #22
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,889 times in 15,481 posts

Default Re: Nemesis, Tyche, Nibiru, Planet X, Brown Dwarf & Binary System: Myths & Realities

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    Thanks Amzer Zo for this thread, though I must confess it's unlikely I will read it all.
    I am just not processing information very well these days, and so I will just ask one question, if you would be so kind as to answer it.
    I used to read James MacCanney's site a lot and my feeling is that his information is sensible and accurate for the most part.
    Do you and does he agree with John Rappaport's summation?:
    Quote Let me put it this way, our solar system as a binary system, has become stable as such for a long, long time with both stars orbiting around each other. Check this animation to get a visual on how this works:

http://binaryresearchinstitute.org/b...n/theory.shtml

As such, the rule of the relationship between our Sun, its companion and their respective planets is: NEVER THE TWAIN SHALL MEET!

Hence all you can read about a large object coming in between Earth and Sun and using our Sun planetary system as a bowling alley is just propaganda and disinfo to foster fear and hysteria.
    Thanks!
    Hi onawah,

The portion you quoted is what I came to conclude after chewing on the data for a long while. That is, what you quoted above are my own conclusions in my own words and are not from John Rappoport.

John Rappoport's article on how psyops operate is the last portion of the post below the "¤=[Post Update]=¤" in post # 7

In any case, it seems that James McCanney agrees with both John and myself:

Quote Posted by Amzer Zo (here)
    [...]

Quote Posted by Conehead (here)
    From McCanneys Website:

February 27, 2013 posting ... !!!!!!!!!!!!! EMERGENCY ANNOUNCEMENT ... DISINFORMATION UPDATE !!!! THE DISINFO CREW IS AT IT AGAIN ... AT LEAST 2 YOUTUBE POSTINGS ARE TRYING TO IMPERSONATE ME AND PASS FALSE INFORMATION ... there are at least 2 youtube videos posted recently by nameless disinformation agents placing my voice making it look like i am saying that a planet X object is coming into the solar system at this time ... THIS IS NOT TRUE ... I AM NOT SAYING ANY SUCH THING ... AND THIS IS WHY I NEVER POST ON YOUTUBE OR ANY OTHER MEDIUM EXCEPT MY OWN WEB PAGE ... what they have done is chopped segments of a 2004 program of mine and posted a february 2013 date on the face and posted on youtube under 2 different names making it sound like i am stating planet X object is now in the solar system ... then in the listener comments they of course post many slams trying to make me look like a nut case making false predictions of planet X ... I AM CURRENTLY WORKING WITH YOUTUBE TO HAVE THESE POSTINGS REMOVED ... this should show you that i am succeeding in informing the public of REAL events and exposing the government bogus tier II science for what it is ... this type of misinformation is their form of damage control as we head into this year of GREAT COMETs in which NASA and their fairy tale science will be exposed worldwide for the garbage that it is and my Plasma Discharge Comet Model will become the clear truth on the topic of comets and the electrical nature of our solar system ... this comes also as i am about the release my latest book (see the next posting) ... it seems someone is afraid of my success ... jim mccanney
    Radio broadcast stating the above in other words:
    http://www.jmccanneyscience.com/Jame...ry_28_2013.mp3
    The video I originally commented on (see #7 in post # 7), was the faked one that mentioned the psyop disinformation nonsense which didn't make any sense to me.

I have no disagreement with James McCanney on his above statement as can be seen in the rest of my conclusion in that post (# 760 in post # 1) which portion I quoted to Deega:

Quote As such, the rule of the relationship between our Sun, its companion and their respective planets is: NEVER THE TWAIN SHALL MEET!

However, heavy cometary and asteroid showers and ensuing catastrophes can result from the twin stars shaving each other's Oort cloud as depicted in this other animation:

http://binaryresearchinstitute.org/b...heeredge.shtml

Hope this helps clarify the waters purposefully muddied?
    I quoted portions of my logical path to answer Deega (post # 16) in order to demonstrate that anything claimed about Nibiru/Planet X could not possibly be true and therefore said claims are disinfo/psyops as delineated by John Rappoport in his article.

You would have to read John Rappoport's article on how psyops are implemented in order to see how the Nibiru/Planet X myth fits the psyop template he describes.
    Last edited by Hervé; 8th April 2013 at 23:04.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Atlas (21st September 2014), Calz (11th April 2013), Daughter of Time (19th May 2013), Foxie Loxie (22nd March 2018), Freed Fox (8th April 2013), Gardener (19th May 2013), onawah (8th April 2013), RMorgan (8th April 2013)

5. Link to Post #23
    Language
    English
    Thanks

It's nice to know that most likely, we have at least one less big thing to worry about.
    Thanks again for all the work you put into this thread, Amzer Zo.

When I clicked on the link you provided above:

http://binaryresearchinstitute.org/b...heeredge.shtml

I got this:
    Oops! Page Not Found
    Sorry, the page you were looking for could not be found.

Do you have another link for that animation?
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 9th April 2013 at 00:09.
    Each breath a gift...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Calz (11th April 2013), Hervé (8th April 2013)

7. Link to Post #24
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Thanks.

Fixed!

Cheers!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Atlas (21st September 2014), Calz (11th April 2013), onawah (9th April 2013)

9. Link to Post #25
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,123 times in 3,535 posts

Hey folks,

Here is a must watch video for those interested on learning about the fundamental flaws in Zacheria Sitchin´s work regarding his "translations" of the Sumerian texts . This is an essential video for those who want to see how unsubstantiated the whole Nibiru "theory" actually is. ( you can jump the first 13 minutes of introduction if you want to).

Raf.
    Last edited by RMorgan; 10th April 2013 at 18:52.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RMorgan For This Post:

Atlas (21st September 2014), Calz (11th April 2013), Freed Fox (10th April 2013), Gardener (10th April 2013), Hervé (11th April 2013), RUSirius (10th April 2013), Star Tsar (11th April 2013)

11. Link to Post #26
    Germany Avalon Member The Truth Is In There's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,645 times in 726 posts

i don't think sitchin was translating anything, i think he wrote what he was being told. there are several people who claim that he was a reptilian himself or at least hosting one. his books are probably part of the "programming".
    Among the blind the one-eyed is a madman.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Truth Is In There For This Post:

Hervé (12th April 2013), RMorgan (31st October 2013)

13. Link to Post #27
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,009 times in 1,932 posts

take a look at this
    photographed from a bus in bangkok
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2wW-JEMbtvA
    it definately looks like 2 suns to me

jim
    Last edited by jiminii; 19th May 2013 at 07:48.

14. Link to Post #28
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by jiminii (here)
    take a look at this
    photographed from a bus in bangkok
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2wW-JEMbtvA
    it definately looks like 2 suns to me

jim
    What's real to me is that it's a double reflection... original sun reflected on the inside window pane, opposite the side of the setting sun, of the bus back onto the window on the side of the sun... check the angle of reflection... basic optics solution with mirrors.

Proceed with that "study" I offered and maybe you'll have a clearer idea about the "Nibiru" psyop?

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Atlas (21st September 2014), Gardener (19th May 2013), RMorgan (31st October 2013)

16. Link to Post #29
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,169 times in 1,448 posts

And here I found another article about ISON: http://www.veteranstoday.com/2013/10...t-ison-gambit/
    "Secret Space War XI: Comet Ison Gambit
    Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on pinterest_shareMore Sharing Services
    by Preston James

[...]

[Mod-edit: removed the long unformatted version of the article]
    Last edited by Hervé; 27th February 2016 at 16:20.

17. Link to Post #30
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Hi chocolate,

This thread has nothing to do with comet Ison and as such is "Off Topic."

There are multiple monster threads dedicated to "Elenin" where logic, hard data and sensible explanations kept being laughed at and belittled to no end... who is laughing now?

Ison belongs to the same category insofar as being a psyop.

Get acquainted with the "Elenin" threads and start your own thread on "Ison."

Here are a few of the threads regarding "Elenin":

The death of Comet Elenin : a return to rationality?

Is it Comet Elenin? Is it Nibiru? Elenin Updates.

As for cometary tails, trails and trains, here is something to consider and really understand:

Quote Posted by Amzer Zo (here)
    Quote Posted by Carmody (here)
    well, the thing of it is, you see, that the debris trail is still with us.

[...]
    True,

However, since the remnants of Elenin crossed the ecliptic on Sept. 13, anything not substantial that's left of Elenin has been blown above Earth ever since by the solar winds...

So, from an heliocentric point of view, Elenin is currently beyond Earth's orbit and way above Earth's ecliptic orbit.

The only time Earth would presumably run into anything left of that cloud of particles not blown away by solar winds would be Sept. 13 next year. [see this post <--- and this post <--- as well]
    Go the JPL site and check what's Ison's orbit with respect to Earth and see if it's similar to something like Elenin. As far as I am concerned, I am not interested in doing so.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Atlas (21st September 2014), Calz (1st November 2013), christian (1st November 2013), Gardener (1st November 2013), johnf (31st October 2013), kanishk (2nd November 2013), RMorgan (31st October 2013), Shezbeth (31st October 2013)

19. Link to Post #31
    Thanks
    Thanked 77,220 times in 8,550 posts

There is also a thread on this specific VT article, I recall.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions. - Robert Anton Wilson

The present as you think of it, and in practical working terms, is that point at which you select your physical experience from all those events that could be materialized. - Seth (The Nature of Personal Reality - Session 656, Page 293)

(avatar image: Brocken spectre, a wonderful phenomenon of nature I have experienced and a symbol for my aspirations.)

20. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

-------

A quick note: In my strong opinion, Preston James really quite discredited himself with his article above. He's an irresponsible, poor researcher if he doesn't yet know that the "two apparent objects accompanying Comet Ison", which he speculates are American Antigravity Craft, were image artifacts caused by parallax.

Read more about that in my post here:

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post729147

In my strong opinion again, Planet X may be what we have to worry about sometime in the next few years. Ison (as I've stated clearly here on maybe half a dozen threads or more), is just a regular comet. Thankfully, it'll soon be history, and then (again!) we can focus on important matters.

21. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Atlas (21st September 2014), Calz (1st November 2013), christian (1st November 2013), Foxie Loxie (2nd April 2017), Gardener (1st November 2013), Hervé (1st November 2013), kanishk (2nd November 2013), Knowrainknowrainbows! (1st November 2013), mountain_jim (1st November 2013), naste.de.lumina (1st November 2013), RMorgan (1st November 2013), Star Tsar (1st November 2013)

22. Link to Post #33
    Germany Avalon Member christian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,119 times in 2,959 posts

Quote Posted by RMorgan (here)
    Here is a must watch video for those interested on learning about the fundamental flaws in Zacheria Sitchin´s work regarding his "translations" of the Sumerian texts . This is an essential video for those who want to see how unsubstantiated the whole Nibiru "theory" actually is.
    Zitchin's work is not the whole of the Nibiru theory. As far as I know, even mainstream scientists agree that there must be one ore more relatively huge bodies in our solar system that we have not yet discovered, because the gravitational data otherwise wouldn't add up.

Here's a piece from Marshall Masters about his findings in regard to Planet X, "the video you've been waiting for."

(By the way, what I found most interesting in Sitchin's books was that apparently all these biblical stories were in Sumerian writings first.)

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christian For This Post:

Calz (1st November 2013), Conehead (1st November 2013), naste.de.lumina (1st November 2013), Wind (2nd November 2013)

24. Link to Post #34
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by christian (here)

Here's a piece from Marshall Masters about his findings in regard to Planet X, "the video you've been waiting for."

... psssttt...

Quote Posted by ulli (here)
    I live less than thirty miles south from the Turrialba crater and we look at that site all the time,
    as we are concerned about eruptions.
    Also I can say all unusual events here make it immediately to the national news-
    UFO sightings, which used to happen quite frequently, as well as strange sounds.
    So far nothing.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Atlas (21st September 2014), Calz (1st November 2013), christian (1st November 2013), RMorgan (1st November 2013)

26. Link to Post #35
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

The Solar system: A perspective

The presumed distance of the Oort cloud compared to the rest of the Solar System (click to enlarge).

The only serious and plausible research into a binary system I've found comes from this site: http://www.binaryresearchinstitute.o...n/theory.shtml

Because their hypothesis is built upon empirical data and explains the precession of equinoxes, and their observed anomalies, perfectly.

This is how a binary star system behaves:

Our solar system, associated with a brown dwarf star which is, therefore, the companion to our Sun in its journey around the galaxy. Both constitute our BINARY solar system. As they dance around each other they don't penetrate into each other's planetary system but "polish" each other's Oort cloud. That's the assumption from our Oort cloud having a "sheer edge" on its outside (clean shaven outside, the inside is a lot fuzzier).

Now, that's quite a pool (billiards) game which takes a 24,000 years cycle to complete!

According to the above, that sun's binary twin would have to be looked for beyond the Oort Cloud... that's not exactly next door

Whereas the inferred "Ninth Planet" only disturbs - apparently - objects from the Kuiper belt according to this article: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...-system-space/

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Fairy Friend (28th February 2016), fourty-two (28th February 2016), Foxie Loxie (22nd March 2018), najara12000 (1st March 2016), onawah (28th February 2016), Sophocles (28th February 2016)

28. Link to Post #36
    Language
    English
    Thanks

In the video of the binary system, the asteroids are mostly shooting out into space and not penetrating into the inner part of the solar systems, so is the theory erroneous that the increasing number of comets we are experiencing on Earth caused by the other system coming in closer to us?
    And do the solar systems pick up more debris as they travel around or do they continuously shrink as far as the number of asteroids due to the sheering off effect?
    Thanks!
    [QUOTE=Hervé;1049530]
    Our solar system, associated with a brown dwarf star which is, therefore, the companion to our Sun in its journey around the galaxy. Both constitute our BINARY solar system. As they dance around each other they don't penetrate into each other's planetary system but "polish" each other's Oort cloud. That's the assumption from our Oort cloud having a "sheer edge" on its outside (clean shaven outside, the inside is a lot fuzzier).

Now, that's quite a pool (billiards) game which takes a 24,000 years cycle to complete! [LEFT]

According to the above, that sun's binary twin would have to be looked for beyond the Oort Cloud... that's not exactly next door
    Last edited by onawah; 28th February 2016 at 17:55.
    Each breath a gift...

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Hervé (28th February 2016), najara12000 (1st March 2016)

30. Link to Post #37
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

In the video of the binary system, the asteroids are mostly shooting out into space and not penetrating into the inner part of the solar systems, so is the theory erroneous that the increasing number of comets we are experiencing on Earth caused by the other system coming in closer to us?
    And do the solar systems pick up more debris as they travel around or do they continuously shrink as far as the number of asteroids due to the sheering off effect?
    Thanks!
    [...]
    What's to keep in mind here is that this is a simplified graphic illustration to demonstrate the concept at work.

My understanding is that any of these billiard balls interact with each other but, also, and moreover, are all "pinned" to the binary system with long elliptical orbits as in "what goes around, comes around"... so that any of those ejected can't help but come back in cycles... accordingly, waves of meteor showers can be due to either or to a combination of the influence both objects (inferred dwarf twin + an assumed ninth planet).

My interpretation is that most of the catastrophic results of the "shaving" occurred at the beginning and settled down over time with less and less ejected bodies on collision course with planets, i.e. most of the catastrophic collisions have already occurred and we now have a more or less settled system.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (22nd March 2018), najara12000 (1st March 2016), onawah (28th February 2016)

32. Link to Post #38
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,628 times in 20,439 posts

Question Re: Nemesis, Tyche, Nibiru, Planet X, Brown Dwarf & Binary System: Myths & Realities

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)
    Thanks!
    [...]
    What's to keep in mind here is that this is a simplified graphic illustration to demonstrate the concept at work.

My understanding is that any of these billiard balls interact with each other but, also, and moreover, are all "pinned" to the binary system with long elliptical orbits as in "what goes around, comes around"... so that any of those ejected can't help but come back in cycles... accordingly, waves of meteor showers can be due to either or to a combination of the influence both objects (inferred dwarf twin + an assumed ninth planet).

My interpretation is that most of the catastrophic results of the "shaving" occurred at the beginning and settled down over time with less and less ejected bodies on collision course with planets, i.e. most of the catastrophic collisions have already occurred and we now have a more or less settled system.
    Only takes one.

33. Link to Post #39
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Ushering in the idea:

Discovery of highly unusual planetary system finds twin stars hosting three giant exoplanets

Science Daily Wed, 31 Aug 2016 00:00 UTC

© Timothy Rodigas. This is an illustration of this highly unusual system, which features the smallest-separation binary stars that both host planets ever discovered. Only six other metal-poor binary star systems with exoplanets have ever been found.

A team of Carnegie scientists has discovered three giant planets in a binary star system composed of stellar ''twins'' that are also effectively siblings of our Sun. One star hosts two planets and the other hosts the third. The system represents the smallest-separation binary in which both stars host planets that has ever been observed. The findings, which may help explain the influence that giant planets like Jupiter have over a solar system's architecture, have been accepted for publication in The Astronomical Journal.

New discoveries coming from the study of exoplanetary systems will show us where on the continuum of ordinary to unique our own Solar System's layout falls. So far, planet hunters have revealed populations of planets that are very different from what we see in our Solar System. The most-common exoplanets detected are so-called super-Earths, which are larger than our planet but smaller than Neptune or Uranus. Given current statistics, Jupiter-sized planets seem fairly rare -- having been detected only around a small percentage of stars.

This is of interest because Jupiter's gravitational pull was likely a huge influence on our Solar System's architecture during its formative period. So the scarcity of Jupiter-like planets could explain why our home system is different from all the others found to date.

The new discovery from the Carnegie team is the first exoplanet detection made based solely on data from the Planet Finder Spectrograph -- developed by Carnegie scientists and mounted on the Magellan Clay Telescopes at Carnegie's Las Campanas Observatory. PFS is able to find large planets with long-duration orbits or orbits that are very elliptical rather than circular, including the new trio of planets discovered in this '"twin'" star study. This special capability comes from the long observing baseline of PFS; it has been taking observations for six years.

Led by Johanna Teske, the team included a number of Carnegie scientists from both the Department of Terrestrial Magnetism in Washington, DC, and the Carnegie Observatories in Pasadena, CA, as well as Steve Vogt of the University of California Santa Cruz.

"We are trying to figure out if giant planets like Jupiter often have long and, or eccentric orbits," Teske explained. "If this is the case, it would be an important clue to figuring out the process by which our Solar System formed, and might help us understand where habitable planets are likely to be found."

The twin stars studied by the group are called HD 133131A and HD 133131B. The former hosts two moderately eccentric planets, one of which is, at a minimum, about 1 and a half times Jupiter's mass and the other of which is, at a minimum, just over half Jupiter's mass. The latter hosts one moderately eccentric planet with a mass at least 2.5 times Jupiter's.

The two stars themselves are separated by only 360 astronomical units (AU). One AU is the distance between the Earth and the Sun. This is extremely close for twin stars with detected planets orbiting the individual stars. The next-closest binary system that hosts planets is composed of two stars that are about 1,000 AU apart.

The system is even more unusual because both stars are "metal poor," meaning that most of their mass is hydrogen and helium, as opposed to other elements like iron or oxygen. Most stars that host giant planets are "metal rich." Only six other metal-poor binary star systems with exoplanets have ever been found, making this discovery especially intriguing.

Adding to the intrigue, Teske used very precise analysis to reveal that the stars are not actually identical "twins" as previously thought, but have slightly different chemical compositions, making them more like the stellar equivalent of fraternal twins.

This could indicate that one star swallowed some baby planets early in its life, changing its composition slightly. Alternatively, the gravitational forces of the detected giant planets that remained may have had a strong effect on fully-formed small planets, flinging them in towards the star or out into space.

"The probability of finding a system with all these components was extremely small, so these results will serve as an important benchmark for understanding planet formation, especially in binary systems," Teske explained.

The other members of Teske's team were Carnegie's Stephen Shectman, Matías Díaz, Paul Butler, Jeffrey Crane, and Pamela Arriagada.

This work was funded by NASA, CONICYT-PFCHA/Doctorado Nacional Chile, and the Carnegie Institution for Science.

The research made use of the SIMBAD database, operated at CDS in Strasbourg, France, and the Exoplanet Orbit Database and Exoplanet Data Explorer.

Journal Reference: Johanna K. Teske, Stephen A. Shectman, Steve S. Vogt, Matías Díaz, R. Paul Butler, Jeffrey D. Crane, Ian B. Thompson, Pamela Arriagada. The Magellan PFS Planet Search Program: Radial Velocity and Stellar Abundance Analyses of the 360 AU, Metal-Poor Binary "Twins" HD 133131A & B. The Astronomical Journal, 2016

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd December 2016), Ewan (22nd March 2018), fourty-two (23rd December 2016), Foxie Loxie (22nd March 2018), seko (3rd September 2016)

35. Link to Post #40
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

A Star Came Within 0.8 Light-Years Of Our Sun 70,000 Years Ago

George Dvorsky 2/18/15 10:20amFiled to: astronomy

Artist's impression of the red dwarf Scholz's star and its brown dwarf companion. (Credit: Michael Osadciw/University of Rochester)

An international team of astronomers has identified a star that passed through the outer reaches of the Oort Cloud some 70,000 years ago. It came within a distance of 0.8 light-years, making it the closest known flyby of a star to the Solar System.

The star, dubbed Scholz's star, is actually part of a binary system. Its companion is a brown dwarf, a kind of "failed star" reminiscent of a gas giant. After analyzing its current trajectory, a group of astronomers from the United States, Chile, Europe, and South Africa have calculated that at its closest approach, it came within approximately 52,000 AU to the Sun, or 0.8 light-years. That's 5 trillion miles (8 trillion km), which, by cosmological standards, is excruciatingly close for an interstellar flyby of this nature.

Not Quite Visible From Earth — But Just Maybe...
    When it visited our Solar System, it flew through the outer reaches of the Oort Cloud — a massive spherical region comprised of trillions of bits of ice, rock, and planetesimals. The cloud's maximal distance is 0.8 light-years, which places it at one-fifth the distance to the nearest star, Proxima Centauri. The outer limit of the Oort cloud is considered the cosmographical boundary of the Solar System and the outermost limit of the Sun's dominant gravitational influence.

When Scholz's star was in the neighborhood, it would have been a 10th magnitude star (red dwarfs are very dim). That's about 50 times fainter than what can be seen with the naked eye at night. Under normal circumstances, it would be invisible. But because red dwarfs are magnetically active, it could have briefly "flared-up" (i.e., V-band flares) to become thousands of times brighter. The astronomers say it's possible that the star was visible to our paleolithic ancestors for a few minutes of hours if this rare flaring event transpired at the time.

Slow Tangential Motion
    Scholz's star is now 20 light-years away, but it displays very little motion across the sky, or what astronomers refer to as slow tangential motion. To the scientists, this indicated one of two possibilities: either the star is moving directly towards us or it's moving away.

"Most stars this nearby show much larger tangential motion," noted University of Rochester astronomer Eric Mamajek in a release. "The small tangential motion and proximity initially indicated that the star was most likely either moving towards a future close encounter with the solar system, or it had 'recently' come close to the solar system and was moving away. Sure enough, the radial velocity measurements were consistent with it running away from the Sun's vicinity – and we realized it must have had a close flyby in the past."

The trajectory of Scholz's star was pieced together by taking its tangential velocity and radial velocity, which the astronomers did by measuring its spectrum and doppler shift. By doing so, they were able to trace it back in time to its position 70,000 years ago.

The Earth's Nemesis?
    On a related note, astronomers recently calculated that "rogue star" HIP 85605 will come close to our solar system in about 240,000 to 470,000 years from now. It was initially thought that HIP 85605 will come within the Oort Cloud, but the new study suggests the original calculation was off by a factor of 10. They now believe it won't come any closer than about 200 light-years.

Which is good news. Large celestial objects that pass through the Oort Cloud, dubbed Nemesis Stars, can change the trajectory of asteroids and other objects, resulting in "comet showers."

As for Scholz's star, models indicate there was a 98% chance that it grazed the outer reaches of the Oort Cloud. The scientists say it's unlikely, therefore, that this red dwarf — with a mass 8% that of the Sun — and its brown dwarf — at 6% the mass of the Sun — perturbed the Oort Cloud to a significant degree.

Read the entire study at Astrophysical Journal Letters:
    "The Closest Known Flyby of a Star to the Solar System".

Related:
    A Dangerous Nemesis Star May Visit Our Solar System Many Years From Now
    A stellar orange dwarf has a 90% chance of passing through the outer reaches of our solar system no … Read more on io9.​com

Incoming Star Could Spawn Swarms of Comets When It Passes Our Sun

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd December 2016), Ewan (22nd March 2018), fourty-two (23rd December 2016), Foxie Loxie (22nd December 2016), seko (23rd December 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast