Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Matthew Stein : WHEN TECHNOLOGY FAILS

1. Link to Post #21
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,198 times in 838 posts

Default Re: Matthew Stein : WHEN TECHNOLOGY FAILS

Quote Posted by fifi (here)
    This thread together with another one about Nasa upgrading its warning about Solar storm give me a feeling that maybe we should prepare for something "unexpected" coming soon? Should I? Anybody feels any intuitive warning? Please share. I am not scared or fearful, just want to be open and prepared.

Thank you,
    fifi
    I, for one, am starting to believe that the 2012 story is just that, a story... a cover-up to take our attention away from what's going on now and to ensure that, when this stuff does start to happen this year or next (as I bleive it will - see below) we will be *totally* unprepared as we will be expecting it to happen in two years' time...

I had a vivid dream a little while back in which I "died" and came back, and when I came back, none of our technology worked anymore... It took some pursuasion to convince me that it was still 2010 (yes this happened this year, *NOT* 2012)... There was no panic, everyone was very calm, there was actually quite a good feeling in the air. People helping each-other, no chaos.....

My question relating the dream (the part I had trouble making sense of) is regarding the part where I "died" - I have a feeling it wasn't death per-se...rather like "passing through the eye of a needle" - as if we couldn't continue on without that experience...

But one thing I'm wondering is, in the case of a major CME that disrupted electricity around the planet, how would such an event affect the human nervous system??
    Last edited by jcocks; 27th September 2010 at 01:32. Reason: forgot to add something...oops :)

2. Link to Post #22
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

jcocks, I have wondered about that as well. When the 1859 Carrington Event happened and burnt out telegraph wires and poles aroud the world. People in Cuba were reading the newspaper outside at 12 midnight by the light of the Aurora Borealis. Even when I've read long articles about this event no one mentions effects on people, plants or animals other that the resulting fires. on the NASA Website on the "Living With A Star" part of their site it says they (NASA) believe that CME was an X Class. Dr. Michio Kaku said on Fox TV (its all over youtube and his website) that if we get a CME like that again we'll be living like the Victorians and it will take years to recover as there arent enough spare parts or qualified repairmen. Also he says you could repair it and a short time later it can happen again. He thinks we need to shield and adapt our ENTIRE infrastructure--globally

3. Link to Post #23
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,198 times in 838 posts

Quote Posted by Ethereal Blue Being (here)
    He thinks we need to shield and adapt our ENTIRE infrastructure--globally
    That's assuming that you're not going to use the whole situation as a trigger for a technological leap or such..... Which I'm thinking the PTB might very well do. To my mind, it makes a lot of sense as it gives them a plausible reason for doing so in such a way as to not have to really explain themselves (People will just be glad to get technology back)....

They already have a lot of technologies that they're holding close to their chests... All that needs to happen is an opportunity to introduce them with the least disruption and questions as possible...

4. Link to Post #24
    Thanks

Quote Posted by sunflower (here)
    Interesting. Yesterday I recalled his advice on purifying stored water. Leave a glass bottle in the sun for seven hours then it's potable.

Thanks for posting the video, Bill. I 'll watch it and then order the book.
    Another more rapid way is to treat the water with 1 drop of MSS (28% sodium chlorite solution) per gallon of water. The water will probably be safe in 12 hours or wait 24 to be absolutely certain. If the MMS is activated with 1 drop of 50% citric acid solution in a dry container for 20 seconds, water added and then poured into the water to be purified, it will be safe in 1 hour.

5. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,417 times in 326 posts

Thanks Bill for reminding us once again about Matthew Stein. His information is up to date, relevant and basic knowledge that we should all know.
    Here is a 3 part radio series where Matthew discusses the major parts of his book and information on the Beyond 50 Radio Show http://www.blubrry.com/beyond50radio...ng-food-water/

When Technology Fails: An Introduction

When Technology Fails: Storing Food & Water

When Technology Fails: Low Tech Medicine For Emergencies

By the way Tanner, thanks for the MMS tip. I'm sure that the majority of us here have MMS on hand.
    Last edited by yiolas; 28th September 2010 at 22:07.
    Blessings,
    Yiola

6. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,316 times in 10,234 posts

Quote Posted by jcocks (here)
    I, for one, am starting to believe that the 2012 story is just that, a story... a cover-up to take our attention away from what's going on now and to ensure that, when this stuff does start to happen this year or next (as I bleive it will - see below) we will be *totally* unprepared as we will be expecting it to happen in two years' time...

I had a vivid dream a little while back in which I "died" and came back, and when I came back, none of our technology worked anymore... It took some pursuasion to convince me that it was still 2010 (yes this happened this year, *NOT* 2012)... There was no panic, everyone was very calm, there was actually quite a good feeling in the air. People helping each-other, no chaos.....

My question relating the dream (the part I had trouble making sense of) is regarding the part where I "died" - I have a feeling it wasn't death per-se...rather like "passing through the eye of a needle" - as if we couldn't continue on without that experience...

But one thing I'm wondering is, in the case of a major CME that disrupted electricity around the planet, how would such an event affect the human nervous system??
    CME's give me MASSIVE migraines and even distortion. Can't walk right, etc.

Sometimes dreams can be a glimpse into timelines. Or..if you will.... potentials. possibilities.

one of the big signs of things being more of a real dream vs a mental construct aided and abetted by emotions..is the completeness of the scope and depth of the 'vision'.

Mind dreams or ego constructs tend to be limited in scope, size, depth, color, scale, sense of reality, etc. Dreams that are more representative of peeks into time lines have wind, lighting, subtlety, smell, color, time, scope, skies, ground, ie big and complete in all details.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

7. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,531 times in 32,788 posts

Hi, Folks:

The Ustream video has now been tweaked a little and at last uploaded to YouTube. Better late than never!

For anyone who's not seen this yet, I very highly recommended it.

It was also the last interview that Kerry and I did together - rather like a lost recording by John and Paul

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Midnight Rambler (13th December 2011)

9. Link to Post #28
    Canada Unsubscribed
    Chatting with Horatio, on a bridge between Hope and Hemlock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 times in 445 posts

Hi Bill,

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Hi, Folks:

The Ustream video has now been tweaked a little and at last uploaded to YouTube. Better late than never!

For anyone who's not seen this yet, I very highly recommended it.

It was also the last interview that Kerry and I did together - rather like a lost recording by John and Paul
    [...]
    Shouldn't that be Paul and John? I mean, Kerry's definitely the feeler and you're the thinker. Paul feels; John thinks. Anyhoo' ... I loved watching you together.

Ahhh ... miss John. Terribly at times. Today he is 70 years away from when he first visited the Earth way back in '40. Wonder what he is doing now?

10. Link to Post #29
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,251 times in 962 posts

Flying and making music full of light

11. Link to Post #30
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

lol
    on john's 70th i must protest

imagine/maybe i'm amazed....

john/yoko

paul/linda

camelot/avalon

bill/kerry

???

um... what?

i do not see the comparison.

what am i missing?

12. Link to Post #31
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 times in 687 posts

OK, so I picked up the book. A lot of material covered in the outdoor survival portion used to be covered by the old Boy Scouts (of America) Handbook of the '40's and '50s. His water purification discussion is useful, but you can find it on the web. The First Aid material you should learn at the Red Cross on your own. I enjoyed his natural cures/medicinal plant section that followed it. His firearm advice is very cursory and should be approached with caution (i.e., no need to have both a 30-06 and a 7.62 mm Nato (or .308 Winchester as the cartridges are interchangeable in civilian guns).

His section on metal working is very basic. He doesn't go into lost wax casting (which is used by the some elements of the gun industry today). One would do well to take a blacksmithing class to get the basics. Conner Prairie Living History Museum in Fishers (near Indianapolis), Indiana offers classes on a regular basis.

He also has pottery making - something one can learn at the local junior college or from local artisans. Ditto with basket weaving.

On tanning animal hides, he doesn't mention the old fashion Indian method of brain tanning, but then again with that mad cow disease affecting the deer, I'm not sure if it's safe (basically after you scrape the hide of the fur and fat, you place it into a bucket of water with the crushed brains and let it cure. The brain material helps to soften, tan and preserve the hide. Additionally, the Indians would chew on the hide afterward and the chewing, combined with the enzymes, made it very soft and pliable).

Overall, as a one volume, one-stop shop book, it's very good.

13. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

Click here for Matthew Stein's book reference list, including his own reviews and recommendations.

http://projectavalon.net/When_Techno...References.pdf

14. Link to Post #33
    United States Avalon Member xbusymom's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 times in 396 posts

Quote Posted by Lost Soul (here)
    OK, so I picked up the book. A lot of material covered in the outdoor survival portion used to be covered by the old Boy Scouts (of America) Handbook of the '40's and '50s. His water purification discussion is useful, but you can find it on the web. The First Aid material you should learn at the Red Cross on your own. I enjoyed his natural cures/medicinal plant section that followed it. His firearm advice is very cursory and should be approached with caution (i.e., no need to have both a 30-06 and a 7.62 mm Nato (or .308 Winchester as the cartridges are interchangeable in civilian guns).

His section on metal working is very basic. He doesn't go into lost wax casting (which is used by the some elements of the gun industry today). One would do well to take a blacksmithing class to get the basics. Conner Prairie Living History Museum in Fishers (near Indianapolis), Indiana offers classes on a regular basis.

He also has pottery making - something one can learn at the local junior college or from local artisans. Ditto with basket weaving.

On tanning animal hides, he doesn't mention the old fashion Indian method of brain tanning, but then again with that mad cow disease affecting the deer, I'm not sure if it's safe (basically after you scrape the hide of the fur and fat, you place it into a bucket of water with the crushed brains and let it cure. The brain material helps to soften, tan and preserve the hide. Additionally, the Indians would chew on the hide afterward and the chewing, combined with the enzymes, made it very soft and pliable).

Overall, as a one volume, one-stop shop book, it's very good.
    i just orderd the book tonite- so it is on its way, but my first thought in reading your critique - was that yes you could take courses for blacksmithing, CPR, pottery making, gun safety and shooting practice, etc. ...

but IF the SHTF before you get through all 2 years- 4 years -or however long it will take to cram extra classes into our already overloaded lives, -- it would be nice to have the info handy - all in one book to grab and go...

also, having the book puts you a notch above anyone else (who wasn't prepared) to start training for re-community-izing

15. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

Quote Posted by xbusymom (here)
    i just orderd the book tonite- so it is on its way, but my first thought in reading your critique - was that yes you could take courses for blacksmithing, CPR, pottery making, gun safety and shooting practice, etc. ...

but IF the SHTF before you get through all 2 years- 4 years -or however long it will take to cram extra classes into our already overloaded lives, -- it would be nice to have the info handy - all in one book to grab and go...

also, having the book puts you a notch above anyone else (who wasn't prepared) to start training for re-community-izing
    Exactly - thinking about the book is not the same as having the resource in hand.

People pay 10-40 times as much as the cost of the book for auto insurance each year... yet this is really just another form of insurance that one hopes one might never resort to.

16. Link to Post #35
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,417 times in 326 posts

You make excellent points xbusymom and Bill.
    All I can say is GET THE BOOK, GET THE BOOK, GET THE BOOK !
    Blessings,
    Yiola

17. Link to Post #36
    United States Avalon Member Snowbird's Avatar
    The CORPORATION of the United States of America
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,082 posts

For the past few months I have been attempting to stock up and get prepared for 2011. I actually have a good head start, but I'm not where I want to be as yet.

I've seen the PC interview with Matthew Stein, which is excellent, and I think that I might order his book. However, I have been in search of a line of freeze-dried foods that I can store for emergency. I just now found it and want to share this great find with everyone.

I have been a member of Sam's Club for years. Yes, I pay out the $40.00 annual fee each year. However, I love to buy in bulk so this type of membership is perfect for me.

I have just found two lines of freeze-dried foods from the Sam's web site that IMO, are simply wonderful. One of these, Alpine Aire Foods, has only a few items, but they are quality items and a few of the gourmet meals include meat. I especially love the Portable Food Pantry which is a 2-week supply of dried food which is vegetarian as am I. In addition, is the Augason Farms food line which is extensive and includes emergency packs for your vehicle and for the office.

I have linked these sites below and included is a .pdf of Augason Farms Emergency Tips. These are really basic tips that will help everyone.

Augason Farms Emergency Tips

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/...gency_Tips.pdf

Sam's Club emergency food and needed items

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/search/...ategoryId=1444

Costco

http://www.costco.com/Common/Categor...277&lang=en-US
    Last edited by Snowbird; 31st December 2010 at 18:45. Reason: Added Costco
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
    Plato

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snowbird For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st December 2010), FJMcD (4th January 2011), MargueriteBee (1st January 2011)

19. Link to Post #37
    New Zealand Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

"This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it your country on copyright grounds."

20. Link to Post #38
    Thanks

Another really valuable book is : The Encyclopedia of Country Living: An Old Fashioned Recipe Book [Paperback] by Carla Emery. This would be a supplement to Matthew's.

21. Link to Post #39
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Harley's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,344 times in 1,378 posts

MOTHER EARTH NEWS
    The Original Guide To Living Wisely
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/

DO IT YOURSELF: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself.aspx

Five Minutes A Day For Fresh-Baked Bread: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...tes-A-Day.aspx

Vegetable Garden Planner — Design Your Best Garden Ever: http://www.motherearthnews.com/garde...n-planner.aspx

RENEWABLE ENERGY: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy.aspx

ORGANIC GARDENING:: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening.aspx

The Chicken and Egg Page: http://www.motherearthnews.com/eggs.aspx
    Last edited by Harley; 21st January 2011 at 19:11. Reason: Added Links

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harley For This Post:

FJMcD (21st January 2011), GoldenYears (21st January 2011)

23. Link to Post #40
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Hey Harley,
    I have the book "Artisan Bread In Five Minutes A Day"...great book, makes wonderful bread and it is soooo easy. Would recommend it to anybody.

Another good book is "Square Foot Gardening" http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...el+bartholomew

And if anybody wants.... I have "My Groponics On A Budget For People Who Live In Small Places, Heck Even Tiny Places" in pdf format. Just PM me and I would be happy to send it to whoever wants it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to GoldenYears For This Post:

Harley (22nd January 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast