+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Arthur C. Clarke’s CHILDHOOD'S END - a new mini series

1. Link to Post #21
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Default Re: Childhood's End

That perhaps we shouldn't judge some"one" by how they "look"?
    (If I was "the Devil," I wouldn't appear looking like "The Devil" - I'd look like Jesus Christ!)

BTW - I hope you get to see the other two episodes - the story changes... quite a bit from the first episode's end cliffhanger

2. Link to Post #22
    Greece Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 times in 519 posts

Its like the antichrist with an alien twist ... they are what they look like ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Etherios For This Post:

Cidersomerset (11th January 2016)

4. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,987 times in 463 posts

Quote Posted by Etherios (here)
    For those that missed this ...
    Childhood's End

I am amazed and this ... i am sure there will be alot of people that can spot huge amounts of weirdness ...

It feels so wrong watching this series ... and I only saw the first episode. (That alien was omg ... cant be coicidence)

what you guys think?

Themis

Don't bother watching the other 2 episodes. A huge disappointment. There is very little resemblance to A C Clarke's book. Episode 3 spends half its time focusing on this tedious love story. The conclusion on the TV series is a complete let down and completely misses the novel's point. Read the book again don't waste your time watching this crap

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

Alan (11th January 2016), kirolak (11th January 2016)

6. Link to Post #24
    Greece Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 times in 519 posts

too late ... i saw all 3 episodes and ,... it was a waste of time.

They have included everything. Spirituality, Love, aliens, god, consciousness, prophecies etc etc ...

there are so many things wrong in this that I am not sure if the novel had any connection to this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Etherios For This Post:

Cidersomerset (11th January 2016)

8. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,648 times in 18,693 posts

I thought the first episode quite good , though I have not read the book and
    did get it mixed up before hand with Damon Knights book ' To Serve Man',
    so I am not as critical , though not many adaptions of this kind seem to
    express the full intentions of the author. I had mean't to listen to a audio version
    so I am going to now...LOL

Audio book - Arthur C. Clarke “Childhood's End” 1953 AD

Arthur C. Clarke “Childhood's End” 1953 AD has it all; it has obviously been very
    influential as it includes giant alien spacecraft being stationed over Earthly cities (as
    in the new War of the Worlds, District 9, the new V series, etc.), it contains ancient
    alien astronauts themes, it contains mystic-mythological-theology as the ancient
    aliens had been confused with being gods, demons, etc. and takes us on a journey
    long into the future.

https://archive.org/details/Audio-Bo...Childhoods-End

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A couple posts from other threads.....

The Next Fifteen Years And The False Flag Alien Threat

I have been commenting on this on other threads and with the on going 'war on
    terror' and 'Rogue states' for the past 20 yrs, although the US neo -cons has raised
    the scales and escalated it to the level we are in now. ( There has always been
    terrorists/ freedom fighters) in various forms . At some stage it will be scaled down
    and a new 'threat' to world peace and the corporate profit machines must be found
    and the next logical threat as Carol Rosin said are asteroids or ET's , and both are
    in our psyche due to the many films , tv shows and docs both from the mainstream
    and in the last decade or so the alternate community.

I just watched the mini series Childhoods end ,which I recommend and its
    highlights several points from the devil , religion , ET's to ascension and with other
    technology like 'Blue Beam' the Secret Space fleet and still a very strong Corporate
    media a 'false flag ' alien contact, visit or invasion is certainly possible . Also
    the discovery of hundreds of Exo planets and even the Vatican talking about
    our 'space brothers' these agenda's may well happen?

Astoriods may well come first and there could be a scenario where we saved from
    destruction by ET intervention real or simulated. I think the next big 'disaster'
    meme after 'terror' may not be that far away.

Soviets - Terrorists- Rogues States - Asteroids - ET threat...

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...87#post1030887

========================================================================

Re: THE X-FILES | Re-Opened

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...ILES-Re-Opened
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 13th January 2016 at 22:09.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

KiwiElf (12th January 2016), leavesoftrees (11th January 2016)

10. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,648 times in 18,693 posts

Just finished the audio book and definitely better than the TV
    adaptation. The story seemed perfectly fine as it was written,
    even if some of it was done as a narrative overview. The
    love affair , hotel reconstruction and other added bits were
    designed to please a non sci - fi audience and appeal to the
    soap crowd and they missed out the nuances of the book
    by and large especially the visit to the overlords planet.

They are not all in the right order follow the part numbers on the right,
    they do run consecutive after you get past part one and jump to pt 2.
    You will see what I mean.....

Last edited by Cidersomerset; 13th January 2016 at 22:19.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Star Tsar (13th January 2016)

12. Link to Post #27
    Australia Avalon Member TigaHawk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,121 times in 744 posts

Having watched it... What i can see is...

The devil / Aliens came here a loooooooooong time ago and told us what we had coming for us. We could either live together in peace and prosperity - or we could go down the bad path.

Karellin? Mentions at the event where Mylo was questioning him that humanity was on the verge of a technological discovery that would have destroyed us all. A repeat of when we invented the nuclear bomb - but this time we'd have wiped ourselves out with it. This is why they came at that specific time - Their appearance effectively stopped this from happening.

The girl Jennifer is the spirit of Planet Earth - incarnated into human form. What was very interesting about this is when he got her into the room with the weegie board to have the conversation. He was telling her she needed to grow up. She knew what she was and what she has to do, and was also communicating with the overmind at the same time. This would be in reference to the fate of the planet (we would have killed her too!) and how she is mother earth. A mother loves her children and does everything to protect them - but at the same time there is a point where you can not do this - and need to step back and let things pan out as they will. I also took note of how she agreed and consented to this outcome.

Karellin?'s home planet is Hell. The Overmind is Heaven. Where the two connect on his planet is literally the definition of heaven and hell. Heaven is above, Hell is below.

The reason Karellin's race cannot join the overmind is because they did not "**** up". They were able to naturally evolve to a point where they no longer needed to - without destroying themselves. Well done!

It's hinted that they have done this before on our planet. Probably the floods. A prior stage of our advancement, but not ready for the final transition. This due to the ark and noah comments.

I think they did really well with how they portrayed the aliens. It also makes sense to me. For people to intervene (if they had of saved us - like really saved us rather than that ending) we would not have learnt. we only learn when we do things ourselves - when we come to the conclusion on our own. Having someone step in teaches us nothing. It was made clear that regardless of their intentions our reaction would be (and i believe this is true because we are stupid - if the current people in power and people like them continue to remain in power...) to wage war / shoot. The only reason they did not was the realization that the aliens had 30,000 years worth of advanced technology - they referenced it to be similar to throwing rocks at a tank.

They linked a peaceful future with people being bored and the death of science and creativity. The death of creativity / arts seems complete bull****. The same with science - tho i guess with the scenario in this series it is everything they wanted to know had been provided to them - up to a certain point (that line that humanity supposedly crosses that wipes them out) I am sure that our thirst for knowledge will never be quenched. People would still have jobs - just we would not have to work anywhere near as much. New jobs would be created as well if society were to change that much - it's just that we do not sit down and think about these things so at first thought - we'd agree with it out of ignorance.

Am still missing the connection with Angels and how they became seen as demons in this series. Possibly due to them telling us what they'd be doing to us and our planet should we stuff up. With his comments to the religious woman - All the worlds religions cannot be correct - and that we deluded ourselves. This is very true. The episodes with the cross and the religious woman do not make too much sense at all considering the lengths they went to make the aliens benevolent (At the end - how they treated Mylo)

Ending was horrible. I'd have gone hell yes to staying with them and being able to learn all that i could about the universe. Remember the Menagerie - and all the worlds they have been to - thus how detailed they knew the worlds occupants, to the point where they even used slang in conversations and knew how best to approach and handle us. That would be amazing.
    Last edited by TigaHawk; 13th January 2016 at 23:14.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TigaHawk For This Post:

Cidersomerset (14th January 2016), Zampano (14th January 2016)

14. Link to Post #28
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

I haven't read the original book, but from what I gathered in the mini-series, Karellin (or his race) was not responsible for the destruction of the Earth (at least that isn't the way I interpreted it!)

15. Link to Post #29
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,987 times in 463 posts

Quote Posted by Cidersomerset (here)
    Just finished the audio book and definitely better than the TV
    adaptation. The story seemed perfectly fine as it was written,
    even if some of it was done as a narrative overview. The
    love affair , hotel reconstruction and other added bits were
    designed to please a non sci - fi audience and appeal to the
    soap crowd and they missed out the nuances of the book
    by and large especially the visit to the overlords planet.

They are not all in the right order follow the part numbers on the right,
    they do run consecutive after you get past part one and jump to pt 2.
    You will see what I mean.....

arthur c clarke wasn't the world's greatest novelist, but he did have some good ideas. Yes the book is much better than this TV adaptation. (though I did like Charles Dance as Karellin) I can't understand why they would want to appeal to a non sci fi audience. It was produced by the Scy fy channel!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

Cidersomerset (14th January 2016)

17. Link to Post #30
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,762 times in 32,948 posts

Default Re: Arthur C. Clarke’s CHILDHOOD'S END - a new mini series

A quick note:
    • I've merged two threads on the same topic of the new series, and
    • When I uploaded the audio book a month ago, I've since listened to it in full (it's excellent) but there were a number of gaps and also overlaps/repeats between merged sections... all now corrected. The whole thing is now an hour shorter (7 hrs 34 mins), and a slightly smaller file.
    Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Here's the audio book:

http://projectavalon.net/Childhoods_...r_C_Clarke.mp3

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Cidersomerset (14th January 2016), naochan (24th April 2016), Professor (15th January 2016), Star Tsar (14th January 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2